10%-25% off 72 Pins "NEStalgic" Artwork

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5838]25214[/IMG-R]Friend of CAG, Ron Workman, has helped launch 72 Pins, an artistic combination of the games of today with the awesomeness of the 8-bit era. These are artist created items that use classic (and functioning) NES cartridges recycled as an art canvas.

Use coupon code CAGDEALS to get 10% off or order 4 or more carts and use CAGROCKS to get 25% off your entire order.

nes.gif
10%-25% off at 72 Pins

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to be rude but if u keep giving out one time codes u could sell these for cheaper. I have a friend who is a artist too he is published in magazines I am sure if I ask him to do this he could do it just as good. I understand the work done here and a price needs to be made for that but. 10 bucks is easily a much better price point.

[quote name='Kaiser499']It's starting to sound like slickdeals in here, it's pretty pathetic.[/QUOTE]

I don't see anything wrong with the criticisms here. Many actually have very valid points. People may not want to admit it but if this wasn't posted by Cheapy it would have been trashed way worse than it is now.

This is CAG, the community is filled with cheapasses, if they think this is too expensive then obviously they're going to say something. Most aren't just outright trashing it though, many offer some constructive criticism. I personally gave three suggestions in this thread of how they could be improved for the future. I would love to support them, but $23 is simply too much

Unless you just want to see only positive comments from people buying these you're going to have to take the good with the bad.

I personally don't like "art" using repurposed carts. Can't get behind the idea of taking vintage carts and using them for anything other than what they were originally. Same happens with repros and I never purchase a repro that uses vintage carts. There are 3rd party replacement shells that could have been purchased and used.

I'm also 100% with some here who call out the pixel art. I mean meh, pixel art in a ~2"x4" canvas, none resemble any NES game in my collection. I had the store open in one tab ready to purchase the Katamari cart just to support the artist (only decent one imo that even remotely resembles the 1980's) but then I read through the thread. Everyone here is entitled to their own opinion, you got a thread started by CheapyD himself, leave it at that, no need to have typed a single word in this thread.

You lost my sale, though I'm sure some witty remark to puff your ego up more arguing with avatars on a message board is much more important. I'd rather spend the money on something of better, more useable quality, from UncleTusk.

Thanks for the 20 minute distraction Cheapy, just can't support this guy's attitude -_-

Pretty cool, don't know if it's a Jackson cool, but pretty cool for sure. I just wonder if it's actually legal, profiting off brands like that?

[quote name='jamesdevil']This 'community' is insufferable.[/QUOTE]

It's gotten out of control. People try as had as they can to be a cheaper asshole than the last guy. And the emphasis in the last sentence is not on cheaper.

Having read this thread, I hate the world a little more now. I can't believe how many people don't understand.

I just got a new job so I'm in a transition phase where I have to watch my spending, but once I get stable you can be sure I'll be back to buy up at least four of your carts! I have the perfect shadowbox waiting to display them.

I think this is a great project, and I will probably pick one up in the next month if they last that long.

Ron, if you like, there is a local store near me that has a LOT of NES carts for $1 apiece. You won't get quality games, but I can go through and make sure you get good condition cartridges. They'd probably even let me test them. Shipping by parcel post probably wouldn't be too bad. LMK if you're interested.

I've looked at these a few times the last couple days. I like the concept, I just don't know if I would do them any justice. I like collecting video game related items, but invariably due to moving often and limited space, most sit boxed up in the closet.

I will say that I appreciate the variety in titles, though. Although all of the games are well known and popular enough, for every Halo or Killzone that I could care less about, there is a Katamari or Castle Crashers cart that catches my eye.

What I think would be neat (without getting into pricing worries over it) would be a mock up "instruction manual" along with the cart, with a few pages more from the artist on that particular title - whether it be more pixel art, pencil sketches, or in the case of the Bioshock cart you mentioned, the stages the art went through until it was finalized. The artist's signature on the booklet somewhere would also be a nice touch.

lulz at the thread of trolls.

I second the notion to sell the stickers on Etsy.

On a side note, I second gnargnargnar's idea about the instruction manuals. I realize that this would raise costs and such, but in the future, if it became feasible, that would be amazing. As a kid who grew up on NES games, browsing endlessly through the game manuals was always fun.

Another possible idea down the road is that, instead of selling the cartridges, perhaps selling just mock-box art (an empty NES-style box of course) with the mock-up manual inside. Only throwing an idea out there...I know how much effort goes into actually implementing such an undertaking.

Looking forward to seeing more NEStalgic artwork.

I can't stand the idea of ruining vintage games for "art". Sure, the original ROM inside is still functional if I understand correctly, but the loss of the original label is a big deal to me, even with games that aren't worth more than a few $$ these days. Seems like a sacrilege.

I may be interested in the Castle Crashers one. But like others may have said, I would prefer posters of the pixel based art. This seems like something I would just leave in my drawers.

[quote name='scottman']I can't stand the idea of ruining vintage games for "art". Sure, the original ROM inside is still functional if I understand correctly, but the loss of the original label is a big deal to me, even with games that aren't worth more than a few $$ these days. Seems like a sacrilege.[/QUOTE]

Come on dude. Just cause it's vintage doesnt mean it's worth anything. Either dollar wise or in and of itself.

In 20 years, dark void is still gonna be as shitty as it is today. And if someone repurposed that disc for something, god bless em.

Not every NES game deserves hallowed status.

Another thing, who gives a fuck about the legality? All of a sudden, this community became super ethical?

[quote name='scottman']I can't stand the idea of ruining vintage games for "art". Sure, the original ROM inside is still functional if I understand correctly, but the loss of the original label is a big deal to me, even with games that aren't worth more than a few $$ these days. Seems like a sacrilege.[/QUOTE]

If you don't actually have a collection of these games, then shut the fuck up. If it seems like sacrilege, go around and buy up all the original NES carts you can find before they hit the dump.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/01/nes-cartridge-art-from-72-pins-makes-retro-games-new-new-games/

Looks like it's up on Joystiq, and to be fair to some of the posters in here, the writer also referred to a hipster vibe.

For the people who state that these don't include working games, I'd prefer you spent your money on pop up books anyway to firm up that remedial reading situation you've got going on.

I think these are neat, I like any independent work about video games.

[quote name='Mafiacrooks']Imagine you buy one, pop it in the NES and Stadium Events starts playing........(NTSC verson of course)[/QUOTE]

This made me lol. :applause:

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']My honest feedback is that when I first checked the site, I loved the art. Then when I realized you were using real carts it was a bit of a turnoff. In a way it feels like you are sacrificing something that was art in its own right for your own purposes.

I won't be buying because I have no way of displaying it, but I look forward to your future projects. As a lover of classic gaming, I would have to respectfully request that you not sacrifice originals, but thats just me.[/QUOTE]

The other day I walked in on my brother trying to get the screws out of his ceiling fan to replace the lightbulb. When he couldn't do it by hand, he pulled out a dime and started using it to unscrew the screws. I quickly kicked the ladder out from under him, bringing him tumbling to the floor.

"You're sacrificing something that was minted in its own right for your own purposes!" I told him, holding the dime close to his face. "This is an original work of the United States Treasury. To use it for anything except its monetary purpose is SACRILEGE."

He quickly realized he could instead use the dime to help pay for a screwdriver at the store, which is nowhere near as portable or compact as the dime was, but at least it's being used for its initial purpose. I hate when people get creative.

I'm torn. $20 seems like a lot for what they are (even though I have paid more for lithographs). However, $20 for a lot of them as stickers I could put on my war gaming cases, PC, classic gaming TV? I think I'd be down for that.

I just cannot think of a place where I would display an NES cart. I have a working SNES and N64, but not NES, so the playable portion isn't worth it either :/

Thinking of FF1 w/ a FFX pixel art cover? That'd be pretty boss! If you had a special means of allowing someone to buy a particular game and put a particular cover? Logistics for that would be a nightmare, I 'suppose.

Killzone and Bioshock are my faves. Maybe lithos... :p I'm a sucker for those.

[quote name='Kanelly']The other day I walked in on my brother trying to get the screws out of his ceiling fan to replace the lightbulb. When he couldn't do it by hand, he pulled out a dime and started using it to unscrew the screws. I quickly kicked the ladder out from under him, bringing him tumbling to the floor.

"You're sacrificing something that was minted in its own right for your own purposes!" I told him, holding the dime close to his face. "This is an original work of the United States Treasury. To use it for anything except its monetary purpose is SACRILEGE."

He quickly realized he could instead use the dime to help pay for a screwdriver at the store, which is nowhere near as portable or compact as the dime was, but at least it's being used for its initial purpose. I hate when people get creative.[/QUOTE]
:lol:

I collect NES games and Bioshock is my probably my favorite game this generation! Sold!!!!!! A lot of people seem to be upset that they are using old nes carts, but I am sure a lot of them are Super Mario Bros. 1. You were able to buy them at Game Crazy for 25 cents and there was a stack of them. I am very excited to see what game I get, even though I probably already have it. I just hope its not something super rare like a Bubble Bobble 2 or Dragon Warrior 4...Oh jeez what if it was Stadium Events *face palm* I am sure that wouldn't happen. I am just rambling.

[quote name='Thechaosdivision']I collect NES games and Bioshock is my probably my favorite game this generation! Sold!!!!!! A lot of people seem to be upset that they are using old nes carts, but I am sure a lot of them are Super Mario Bros. 1. You were able to buy them at Game Crazy for 25 cents and there was a stack of them. I am very excited to see what game I get, even though I probably already have it. I just hope its not something super rare like a Bubble Bobble 2 or Dragon Warrior 4...Oh jeez what if it was Stadium Events *face palm* I am sure that wouldn't happen. I am just rambling.[/QUOTE]

You seem like a good person to ask. If this was just the Bioshock sticker to affix to a NES cart you could buy yourself would you still pay $23 for it?

[quote name='SolidSnake86']On a side note, I second gnargnargnar's idea about the instruction manuals. I realize that this would raise costs and such, but in the future, if it became feasible, that would be amazing. As a kid who grew up on NES games, browsing endlessly through the game manuals was always fun.

Another possible idea down the road is that, instead of selling the cartridges, perhaps selling just mock-box art (an empty NES-style box of course) with the mock-up manual inside. Only throwing an idea out there...I know how much effort goes into actually implementing such an undertaking.

Looking forward to seeing more NEStalgic artwork.[/QUOTE]

The first idea we had was to sell actual boxes exactly like the originals. I called an got a quote on what 20 boxes would be full color like GoW. After that quote I said to the staff, we aren't making boxes. You just have to print huge numbers to do that stuff and we aren't trying to do that. Any of you that think this is cheap to do call around to printers. I mean it. We spent months trying to find a deal so that these carts wouldn't be even more. The first quote we got for the vinyl we wanted was just over 8 bucks each, full color, double gloss for anything under 50 of each design. After shopping around we found a better deal thankfully.
Posters was probably a route we should have thought more about early on but we just loved the idea of making carts. Many of you still have the idea that this is a money making venture. We just aren't looking to sell a million stickers or anything. Put it this way, I think we might already be out of Katamari carts. Basically in 26 hours, we sold the handful that we made. I think I have a few backups (maybe 5 or 6) that we made in case they got lost in shipping or considering they are 25 year old carts, cracked in shipping. We aren't trying to make a big business. That's all I can say.

[quote name='Mafiacrooks']Imagine you buy one, pop it in the NES and Stadium Events starts playing........(NTSC verson of course)[/QUOTE]

We thought about making Stadium Events carts to sell as gag gifts. We can for sure make them. We went back and forth and realized that someone would just throw it on Ebay and trick someone else into buying it and ripping them off. I don't like the idea of being involved even somewhat in something like that happening.

I'd also be down for a poster or sticker. The Bioshock one really calls out to me, I've gotten just about every Bioshock related collectible I could get my hands on. While I think it's a great idea(and I actually do like the cart idea as well), I can't justify spending $20 on it.

I think you CAG folks might appreciate this. Especially those of you that think making these were easy
CAG Carts
Aside from this, I did talk to Cheapy about making 50 or so really cool CAG designed grey carts for the community. The problem was, I just couldn't figure out a way to get the price down to anywhere near 10 bucks per cart doing an order of that size. I told him that at some point the printer should likely give us a better deal and we will be more efficient in making them which means the cost should some down.
If I can get to that point and you all want them, I would really like to do it. Right now we just can't.
Some of you at the CAG party might have actually seen these carts at E3. We have been working since then on them. I will say that Cheapy was one of the first people I pitched this all to back 6 months ago and he has been awesome with feedback and support since.

[quote name='jamesdevil']This 'community' is insufferable.[/QUOTE]

Fully agree; so many gamers have such a sense of entitlement these days. It's CAG not AHG (Ass Hole Gamers) Anyways when I get permission from the Hubby iI will definitely be in for Resident Evil and Bioshock :applause:

Hey, folks in a tangentially related topic- I talked to Ron and Rich at the 72pins' team and they agreed to donate two copies of their cartridges (specifically the SOTC design and the Halo Design) to be given away. As a result of their graciousness, you can enter the giveaway in this thread: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304902

Be sure to thank them for considering this, you cheap asses. :p I hope I see a bunch of people entering to help bump and spread word about the site.

I would definetly buy a DS one for 12-15 if possible, cannot afford more than one at the time though sorry. I do appreciate the artwork and it's really sad to see a community of gamers basically frown upon such an awesome thing.

Im curious as to legal aspect of this as well...possible copyright infringement? Ron seems to avoid answering this question...any research or precautions taken on this end?

[quote name='randomdud']Hey, folks in a tangentially related topic- I talked to Ron and Rich at the 72pins' team and they agreed to donate two copies of their cartridges (specifically the SOTC design and the Halo Design) to be given away. As a result of their graciousness, you can enter the giveaway in this thread: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304902

Be sure to thank them for considering this, you cheap asses. :p I hope I see a bunch of people entering to help bump and spread word about the site.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting about the contest, just voted for the SOTC cart :) Can't wait to see the artwork on some of the upcoming games, these are great!

[quote name='SnorE']Im curious as to legal aspect of this as well...possible copyright infringement? Ron seems to avoid answering this question...any research or precautions taken on this end?[/QUOTE]

Are you going to try snitch on an artist? Seems kinda rude to even bring up a point like this to begin with. Whats wrong with this generation? Tons of hate and 0 love.

[quote name='SnorE']Im curious as to legal aspect of this as well...possible copyright infringement? Ron seems to avoid answering this question...any research or precautions taken on this end?[/QUOTE]

It is original art and in limited numbers. The risk is using the Nintendo seal to be honest. While we make it clear on the site that we aren't affiliated, there is a fine line I understand. I really wanted them to look like modern versions of the originals. We could have put our name brand or whatever in the nintendo seal but I really thought that was tacky and corny. The artists made or re-made everything even the genre logos. While is see of it as an homage to the oldschool style or a modern mashup, I understand how some people could be concerned about their IP. I think the fact that all profits go to the artists and team behind these is another thing that will keep us away from trouble. I know a lot of CAG folks might have missed that part, but yes, there is no business profit in this. Would you take legal action against artists that made 20 bioshock carts if you were a lawyer at 2K? Some companies were 100% with this as well as PR people. I sent them carts for free after I got their approval.
On the legal end, the real danger is: Will a consumer think this is an official product, or will they think this is a modern remake of the entire game. Now, the internet has its fair share of idiots, but basic reading skills on each page lets them know it isnt a new game, and that it isnt affiliated.
Bonus: We are selling used games. Forgot to mention that. I know it sounds silly, but we left those games 100% intact. That saves us a bit of potential trouble.

Hey Ron, I just sent you a message on your site in concerns to possibly doing custom work commissions. I like what you do and was hoping that you can help me make one hell of a personalized gift for a friend of mine who would appreciate it. Even the idea of making it looks like a collectors edition with a mountable display case, two page manual and maybe a signing from the team or artist would be extras I would be willing to pay a premium for. I understand that quality doesn't come cheap so I get where you're coming from.

Also, what are the tumbrs and twitters of you and your artists? I'd totally follow you guys.

[quote name='Fighterspledge']Hey Ron, I just sent you a message on your site in concerns to possibly doing custom work commissions. I like what you do and was hoping that you can help me make one hell of a personalized gift for a friend of mine who would appreciate it. Even the idea of making it looks like a collectors edition with a mountable display case, two page manual and maybe a signing from the team or artist would be extras I would be willing to pay a premium for. I understand that quality doesn't come cheap so I get where you're coming from.

Also, what are the tumbrs and twitters of you and your artists? I'd totally follow you guys.[/QUOTE]

Hey. That inbox has been taking a beating today. If you can, re-reply and add CAG person somewhere so I can grab it. Yes we can do about anything. The key to keeping cost low is attaching smaller orders to big ones when we go to the printer. Otherwise it would cost way too much. I'd rather the money go to the artist that created it than to a printer who just can't cut us a great deal for printing small amounts.
As far as tumblr goes, we have a ton of blogs on it. Most are here (even though that list is a little dated already) but most of the team itself is on the staff sidebar of it8bit.com (also a tumblr and a blog platform supporting artists). Pauline is the lead artist (pacalin.com) Chanh made the killzone cart, and Gabriel, a college student at Full sail made Okami and a few coming soon.

The most that would happen is a cease and desist letter, big deal.

And I don't know about others but I would actually pay a large premium if it came with a box and manual in the retro way ($50-60?). That would be a ton more work though.

[quote name='Soljah']Are you going to try snitch on an artist? Seems kinda rude to even bring up a point like this to begin with. Whats wrong with this generation? Tons of hate and 0 love.[/QUOTE]

not at all douche. I am an artist myself and was just making sure he looked at the legal end as well so he doesn't get screwed in the end. To be honest the nintendo seal was the only really thing I considered would be a problem. Reason being cause your branding it with there seal of approval. Saying that this product meets the standards of Nintendo
Snitch hardly, more like looking out for a fellow artist and make sure the man don't screw him. Rude would be me as an artist not showing concern. Whats wrong with this generation is children like you:booty:Respect your elders

This type of custom artwork has been sold like this for a long time. Dealing with Comic Art for a long time, many artists large and small draw and sell IPs of DC/Marvel/Image/Nintendo/Namco etc you name it. many of those companies use that as a way to evaluate potential candidates to work under their stable. I mean DC/Marvel would even have to sue Jim Lee for selling art work that he drew but used their IPs.

I think in this case, i doubt Nintendo or other companies would even care and probably appreciate the ability to manip their IPs in to pixel art..

its not legal by no means because you are making money off their IPs but companies turn the blind eye when it comes to art work. I mean Marvel would have to sue nearly a million people for creating and selling their work. I doubt they want to go through that much trouble.

EDIT:
@ RonWorkman-
Guess my question got flooded in the sea of comments.
I am an art collecter and retro game collecter

any possibilities of doing commissioned pixel art work? I have some games with destroyed labels and its an eye sore. I would really like to have some of your custom art to replace these labels. Let me know if thats possible.

EDIT 2: Just saw your post up above SnorE

Ah so you already knew all that stuff :)

[quote name='integralsmatic']any possibilities of doing commissioned pixel art work? I have some games with destroyed labels and its an eye sore. I would really like to have some of your custom art to replace these labels. Let me know if thats possible.

[/QUOTE]

100% I think right now we need to work on getting costs down a bit what you are looking for can be done easily.

[quote name='RonWorkman']Not true. These are 100% pixel art created from scratch by artists. They aren't some Photoshop trick. Some were based off of photos we found though. The first sample carts were true 8-bit with a perfect NES color palette. They just didn't look great. 8-bit art doesn't have the depth to recreate these things. Imagine what the GoW cart looks like in true 8-bit. Its like Terrance and Phillip looking stuff. I know I saw it. We mainly stuck to the color palette though only bending slightly to create just a hair more shadow depth. Without these things, Halo and Killzone would look the same. One with a little more grey than the other. It really just didnt work. Art is the primary focus.[/QUOTE]

Making the cart art more like 8 bit sprites instead of 8-bit renditions of character art is part of the skill in making it more authentic though. What you just said makes it seem like whoever is designing these doesn't really have a grasp on pixel art that represents the NES days. A lot of the artwork featured on these carts looks more like something you'd see in either a Genesis or SNES game.

bread's done
Back