10% Off Amazon Gaming Purchases and Other Perks with ECA Membership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaoz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
CheapyD update - (The discount codes are presently unique one-time use coupons. Members should download one coupon per game, one game per cart. Multi-time use individually-assigned codes are coming soon.)

[img-l=5198]6006[/img-l]Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

Complete list of discounts/benfits [hiddenlist]
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - download a code from the Benefits section to use at Amazon.com towards 10% off your games purchases. If you buy three or more games a year, this benefit alone makes being a member worth it.
  • Direct2Drive.com - download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases.Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - is offering ECA members a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • Good Old Games - a leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission.
  • Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) - members receive 10% off the price of admission to the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington for pre-registrants.
  • TooManyGames - get $1 off entry to gaming community events.
  • VGXPO - America's Video Game Expo is offering 10% discounted admission.
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.
[/hiddenlist]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Riskbreaker23']glad the codes are back in stock yesterday dissidia was in my gold box and today kingdom hearts 358/2 was in it.[/QUOTE]
What does the codes being in stock mean? I'm trying to understand how this membership works but this thread is daunting.
Thanks

[quote name='cleaver']What does the codes being in stock mean? I'm trying to understand how this membership works but this thread is daunting.
Thanks[/QUOTE]

They have a pre-determined amount of codes that they hand out when someone requests one in the member's area. You're given it immediately, but they're not infinite, they only get a certain number. So they just have to request more from amazon and you wait for like... a week, for a restock. Something to that degree.

[quote name='cleaver']What does the codes being in stock mean? I'm trying to understand how this membership works but this thread is daunting.
Thanks[/QUOTE]

well each time you use your code in the members section, you then generate a new code via a link. previously the codes were all used up and we had to wait for amazon to release more codes to ECA. It's a legit program, I didn't have issues with the codes OOS b/c it seemed to have saved in my account and I got to use the same code 2 times w/o having to enter it again

[quote name='guessed']Not random for me, but not what I want. Tomorrow should be better - I thought I had elected "Don't use for recommendations" on everything non-game that it knows I own, but I just found that it was still using Robot Chicken v1 and Harvey Birdman v1 (both at the very end of my list) for recommendations, which explains why I got a bunch of Space Ghost and Futurama movies for the second day in a row.

Space Ghost Coast to Coast v3
Futurama: Bender's Game
Space Ghost Coast to Coast v2
Wall-E (Widescreen Single-Disc Edition)
Aqua Teen Hunger Force v2
Frisky Dingo s1

I pretty much stick to Netflix these days, I have no interest in buying more DVDs.

Ok, I had been keeping some rechargeable batteries on my use for recommendations list, since I wouldn't mind a good deal on a fancy charger, but I don't want to risk it right now. I'll add it back after I get BBBP. Also, I had a bunch of items saved for later in my cart, so I'm deleting them now.[/QUOTE]

Argh! Not only are my quick picks comprised of 4 Blu-ray James Bond movies (2 Moore, 2 Connery), Mad Men s1, and Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee 2 (PSP) (I finally get a game in there, and this is the one???) today, but the price of Boom Blox Bash Party has gone up to $36.99, so even if it did show up in my picks, I'd be paying more than if I had bought it yesterday. Luckily, I picked up a safety copy from Target last night, using a 10% off coupon my wife had gotten from her Target account. Man, I started with a slightly off topic post, and here I am a few posts later, with no mention of ECA at all (except that one just now). Slippery slope indeed.

4 out of 6 items in my Quick Picks are VG related now, yay. Tomb Raider Anniversary (Wii) Prima strategy guide, Wired Wii sensor bar, PS3 Dualshock 3 (5% off = $40.84), God of War 3 (5% off = $54.14). I'm not a huge God of War fan. I've played some of them a bit, they are good, but honestly, when I saw the demo of 3, I thought it looked like more of the same. I am seriously tempted to pick up the DS3 using ECA (on-topic) discount, but with the BB/EA Sims Card deal, I've already spent my "fun money" for the month, and my wife would kill me. Hopefully it will show up again in another month or two.

[quote name='chibamm']Is anyone else having a surge of random stuff in their Gold Box lately? I've done the research to 'modify' the goldbox so you can get some specific stuff, but it seems to have been counter productive. I keep getting stuff that I have never even looked at in my GB.[/QUOTE]

YES. For the last two days I've gotten totally random items in my Gold Box. I don't purchase anything like these:

- Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
- Prilosec OTC Acid Reducer, Delayed-Release Tablets
- Weber 6401 Barbecue Mitt, Black
- Philips Sonicare Essence 5300 Power Toothbrush

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

For people getting random stuff, I suggest waiting for about 5 days to a week before redoing everything again. It took about 6 days of getting random ass crap in my gold box before I started getting items in my recommendation list. However now I get at least 1 items, and usually 2 every day.

[quote name='jling84']For people getting random stuff, I suggest waiting for about 5 days to a week before redoing everything again. It took about 6 days of getting random ass crap in my gold box before I started getting items in my recommendation list. However now I get at least 1 items, and usually 2 every day.[/QUOTE]

This seems different. I didn't manage any of my items and my recommendation list was already populated with 150+ items. A few days ago, my Gold Box was working fine and filled with at least 50%-80% gaming related items. Now I'm getting electric toothbrushes and oven mitts. Very odd.

I finally cleaned out my recommendations a few days ago and started getting stuff like preorders for Mass Effect 2 and Halo ODST. Yay!

[quote name='guessed']It took me forever to clear out the stuff I didn't want. At first, I was telling it one at a time "Not interested" (this was after I went through my "Improve Recommendations" page and selected "Don't use for recommendations" on everything non-videogame"), but then I saw the "fix this" links, and they allowed me to wipe out large groupings of products that I wasn't interested in.

I know that just because an item is first, doesn't mean it will instantly be a daily deal, but it has a good chance of showing up soon.[/QUOTE]

Where's the "fix this" link? I just checked "not interested" boxes for my non VG stuff for now.

also is the ECA membership tied to your amazon account or just to the email you sign up under? How long does it that to verify if your a student/military? Do you just need student/military specific email address?

/and lastly to be clear you can only use 1 code per game in cart? only useful if the game is $25+ for FSSS? [or anything if you have prime]

[quote name='menewbe']Where's the "fix this" link? I just checked "not interested" boxes for my non VG stuff for now.

also is the ECA membership tied to your amazon account or just to the email you sign up under? How long does it that to verify if your a student/military? Do you just need student/military specific email address?

/and lastly to be clear you can only use 1 code per game in cart? only useful if the game is $25+ for FSSS? [or anything if you have prime][/QUOTE]

1) I don't know about the "Fix This". But tweaking "Recommended for You" and "Improve your Recommendations", you can dramatically increase your chances for stuff you want.

2) The ECA membership seems to be tied to the email address (I'm not sure if they'll catch on if you freely distribute the codes). As for the verification, it's pretty quick - I recall it took probably ~10 min. You'll need a *.edu email address.

3) You can only use 1 code per order - so if you have 2 games, it only applies to one. So it's more useful if the game is $25+ or if you have Prime.

Yesterday Cross Edge and Devil Survivor had to show up in my Gold Box. And now today Crimson Gem Saga shows up. No more diapers and pet supplies for me. Total prices after ECA and Gold Box discounts were $39.97 for Cross Edge and $23.71 for Devil Survivor and Crimson Gem Saga.

For what it's worth, I just bought a new Xbox memory card yesterday and it took off the 10% correctly.

You still can't have multiple items in an order though, which is too bad since it would actually save Amazon money! I always try to have things ship together, and now while it doesn't cost me anything more, it's costing Amazon more if I have to place two games into separate orders just to get the 10% discount.

Yeah, I just did the Amazon trade in for a new system deal. So my first order (I also am using the amazon prime trial) I ordered the xbox pro and dual charge kit and it took a 10% off for the kit I think. Then I did individual game orders which worked fine. Then my only item it wouldn't work on was the Red 360 Controller plug and play pack which was on sale. I tried multiple codes to no avail. But the sucker was really cheap anyways.

[quote name='stillcharlie']as an employee at amazon (not representing them in any form however) I know I also get 10% off at http://www.warehousedeals.com/ ... might be worth a try if you're interested[/QUOTE]

Interesting... I tried using a coupon on a warehousedeals item through amazon, and it didn't work. I presume because the game is technically listed as used.

even tho it says software only on their website. the code still works on most accessories.

i just became a member too yesterday and got infamous.. $45 is hard to pass!!

[quote name='menewbe']Where's the "fix this" link? I just checked "not interested" boxes for my non VG stuff for now.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I hadn't noticed the question until just now. Under the "I own this/Not interested" options, it tells you why it recommended the item - for example, under the PS3 Blu Wave remote in my recommendations, it has
Recommended because you added LittleBigPlanet to your Shopping Cart and more (Fix this)
If you click "Fix this", you will be given the option of not using the items listed to make recommendations for you. The items listed are items you own, items you've rated, items you added to your cart, and I think possibly items you've browsed.

Hope that helps.

I signed up for a membership, and then promptly used the discount on preorders for both Scribblenauts and the deluxe Beatles Rock Band set. That's $28 off already!

Anyway, thanks OP.

What the hell? I tried signing up for this two weeks ago with my Yahoo mail. I waited and waited and checked and checked and didn't get the email confirmation. I tried signing up again tonight under my .edu email address and still haven't got any email from ECA and it has been 20 minutes since I signed up and put in my email and info. This is driving me nuts! Anyone else have a problem getting the confirmation email. And before you say it, yes I have checked my spam folders and it is not there either.

[quote name='slidecage']wasnt there talk a little bit about about a 2nd major player coming in and giving a discount did that every happen[/QUOTE]
Not that I know of, but this looks new:

[quote name='ECA Member Benefits']Buy.com offers millions of products in a different categories, and is pleased to offer ECA members $5.00 off any purchase of $75.00 or more on not only games, but movies and music as well!Click on the link below to get started.
http://www.buy.com/retail/coupon.asp?prid=83125283
[/QUOTE]

That deal sucks, so I hope that wasn't the 2nd major player they were talking about...

Better then what I have. Doing all my shopping through Amazon really kills my Gold box deals most of the time. Today, I was offered tear stain remover for dogs and a Brita water filter... yay. After my deals on ME2 and Uncharted 2 a week and a half ago, I have had nothing but boring knick knacks.

[quote name='somahead33']Better then what I have. Doing all my shopping through Amazon really kills my Gold box deals most of the time. Today, I was offered tear stain remover for dogs and a Brita water filter... yay. After my deals on ME2 and Uncharted 2 a week and a half ago, I have had nothing but boring knick knacks.[/QUOTE]

:lol: I got the tear stain remover for dogs last week in my Gold Box :lol:

[quote name='Lucian']Not that I know of, but this looks new:

That deal sucks, so I hope that wasn't the 2nd major player they were talking about...[/QUOTE]

it probally was BUY... i know i saw on the site that they said there would looking into getting a discount for people at another MAJOR NAME STORE....

i got that dog remover thing twice last week.

I think the ECA hates yahoo in general because I am having trouble as well :).

I am tempted to give them another email. However, my amazon account is tied to my yahoo email.

[quote name='Purkeynator']What the hell? I tried signing up for this two weeks ago with my Yahoo mail. I waited and waited and checked and checked and didn't get the email confirmation. I tried signing up again tonight under my .edu email address and still haven't got any email from ECA and it has been 20 minutes since I signed up and put in my email and info. This is driving me nuts! Anyone else have a problem getting the confirmation email. And before you say it, yes I have checked my spam folders and it is not there either.[/QUOTE]

I don't know why so many people are having trouble? I have yahoo mail also and I joined while we were all still on page 1 here.

I don't remember the specifics, but the overall process wasn't too troublesome.

I don't think the account is tied. I used the same yahoo email for eca/amazon and they weren't tied. I cancelled a few pre-orders and the codes are still retained (getting discount automatically for now) so I think that's what's going on.

Ok..I'm gonna man up and admit what I did wrong (Hopefully, this helps other people)....

I requested validation emails several times because I saw nothing in my spam folder in the inbox. I just noticed an email in my trash folder. After checking my account settings, I noticed that I had a filter where if my username was on the subject, the filter would sent all mail directly to trash. After I deleted the filter, everything worked. In summary, I think this is what happened:

1) The initial email went to trash because of a bad filter that I set up
2) Yahoo did not display (put in my inbox/spam folder/trash) subsequent emails that matched my filter
3) I fixed my filter
4) Things worked!
5) Doing the survey might also matter because I did not fill it out initially
6) It might help if you add i*n*f*o*A*T*t*h*e*e*c*a*D*O*T*c*o*m to your address book (email obscured on purpose)

finally got mine to work with my .mil address. This was after a failed .edu address and yahoo address. Bout freakin time I got something to work.

what do you mean by your gold box, I thought the gold box deals were the same for everyone or do I have another gold box deal somewhere.

If you scroll down past the generic deal of the day and lightning deals, you'll see your quick picks, which are customized for you by an algorithm beyond mortal ken. Mine have been nearly all graphic novels for weeks now, but then I only have myself to blame for that. :lol:

I signed up, everything went through immediately, and I've already saved myself a whopping $3.

I also hope they change it so you can apply it to multiple games in a single order instead of having to place multiple orders. And I'll admit it actually makes me want to buy more games from amazon to take advantage of this and save more than the membership cost. :)

[quote name='ryheeles']will I be able to get the 30 day GF trial if I've already done a trial? or is that benefit out for me?[/QUOTE]

new members only.. once you did one FREE thing for gamefly you will not be able to do another

[quote name='Neci']If you scroll down past the generic deal of the day and lightning deals, you'll see your quick picks, which are customized for you by an algorithm beyond mortal ken. Mine have been nearly all graphic novels for weeks now, but then I only have myself to blame for that. :lol:[/QUOTE]

They're REALLY hit and miss for me. I buy a lot of graphic novels, and sometimes it puts others in there I want, but sometimes it's like completely random junk. Or one day it was all Wii stuff, I guess because I bought one Wii game from them.

You need to go to "Your Account" and then "Improve My Recommendations". Remove anything non-video game related in addition to anything else you don't want to use as a recommendation and you should see better recommendations the next day. You can also visit individual product pages and say, "I own this" to improve it even more.

I've been able to get 90% video game items in my Gold Box, although I'm still having some difficulty having more obscure titles like Little King's Story to show up.

I know you can get 10% off accessories, but when I went looking for a Nintendo Points card, it's listed as $22.99. What gives? It's still more expensive than buying it directly through the console even with the 10% discount. Is this a recent price hike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back