$10 off at Gamefly Store AC for members, check your email

ighosty

CAGiversary!
Got any email today from Gamefly with a 10 dollar off coupon which is good till 11/26/07. They are calling it a thanksgiving sale. It can be compined with others discount coupons. Check your email.

[quote name='AlphakirA']Their used prices are actually some of the best deals going around on a constant basis. Hell, they even have Okami for sale right now at a fair price. That's part of the reason it's been so hard to leavethem up until now[/quote]

Well, I guess I have to disagree, or at least it sure seems their base price has gone up at the price I'm interested in paying. When I can get new stuff for $15-$20 on games that have been out a while on sale, they are almost always still in the same range unless I apply a coupon. The only time I've seen it worth buying stuff lately is when I have a coupon.

If you don't want to wait for a sale or a B&M coupon or don't mind stuff being out of stock at GF by the time you try to buy it even if you have an e-mail alert set, I guess it is ok for others.

I feel the same way about GameFly's used pricing, 90% of the time, the way I feel about NetFlix trying to charge $7-$10 for used stuff, or the local video stores saying $10 for a scratched up DVD rental is a deal.

[quote name='Corvin']How are you being punished? The coupon was geared towards a specific customer. You didn't qualify. How exactly is that punishment?[/quote]

What they did is equivalent to Best Buy having a sale on games, but in order to get the sale price, you have to have never bought a game from them before. Or clipping a coupon out of the paper that is only good if you have never bought that item before. All customers should be treated equally.

In response to the other comments in this thread, this is the first problem I have had with GF. I always get the games at the top of my list (probably because I don't keep a large list, but rather add a couple of games to my list when I send games back, so that they don't really have a choice), and I get the games pretty quickly.

Like I said, I just don't like their attitude with this coupon code, especially after seeing some of you guys say that you have bought games from them before and you still got the code.

Chris

[quote name='Jibbajaba']What they did is equivalent to Best Buy having a sale on games, but in order to get the sale price, you have to have never bought a game from them before. Or clipping a coupon out of the paper that is only good if you have never bought that item before. All customers should be treated equally.

Chris[/QUOTE]

Actually no. An appropriate comparison would be Google Checkout or FamilyVideo's first time use coupons for new customers. "You've never bought from us, here's a coupon to entice you."

They extended the deal? Heh, if I knew they were gonig to-do that, I wouldn't have wasted it on Call of Duty 3, lol, I used my $5 GameFly Dollars and the $10 coupon, and got it for $2.13, but still, I was going to use it for CoD4, but GameFly didn't send it to me on the 26th, so I couldn't use it on that.. wish I knew though, would have waited it out until they sent it, ah-well.

I think the reason this feels different than a standard newcomer coupon is because everyone is already a paying member. People are all paying the price for renting video games and some get a coupon for keep games and some don't. Even though I never even got a response to my email about the coupon from GF I'll keep on supporting them and plan on keeping Super Mario Galaxy today.

OK, this is weird. I sent an e-mail two days ago, was expecting a refusal, and they just sent me the coupon. And it doesn't expire until 5/25/2008.

I can see why people would be irritated by this. At first, I didn't care so much, but I'm a little peeved that they never sent me anything. I can totally understand the marketing tactic, but I do agree that it's a little foolish to lure in new customers at the risk of upsetting long-time, loyal customers. I've been with Gamefly for nearly 3 years now and have bought TONS of games from them. I even went ahead and pre-paid another year of my subscription back when they offered it.

I still think the service is great, and it certainly helps a casual (okay, semi-casual) gamer like myself gain access to a wide variety of games that I can try out, and possibly keep for when I have the time to finish them. The Gamefly Rewards program has been a nice perk, with the 10% discount and $5 coupon every 3 months, but that really only makes it worthwhile to actually buy/keep games from them. Otherwise, I think most of the prices would be higher than I'd want to pay once the tax is added on (and possibly higher than what I could get from deals available at other retailers that are trying to get a piece of the video game retail pie).

This won't cause me to cancel my account in a fit of rage, but it does spoil my image of them just a tad. I can't really help feeling a bit irritated that I'll have to subscribe to their service for 6 months to get the same $10 in coupons that they just sent out in a single mailing to customers who, according to GF, don't really do much business with them. :\

Got a response and the 10 dollars. Gamefly pulled through for a long time customer. They mentioned nothing about what the promotion was about and that they're sorry I didn't get the email. My dollars end on December 4th.

[quote name='Corvin']Actually no. An appropriate comparison would be Google Checkout or FamilyVideo's first time use coupons for new customers. "You've never bought from us, here's a coupon to entice you."[/quote]

Sorry, but that is not a proper analogy. Gogole advertises it's $10 bonus for new customers to entice them to sign up. If GF was advertising 10 free gamefly dollars for new subs, then I wouldn't say anything. Nowhere is it written that this promotion is only for people who have not yet bought a game, and obviously other people who have in fact bought a game are still getting the coupon.

Chris

[quote name='Tomeeboy']I can see why people would be irritated by this. At first, I didn't care so much, but I'm a little peeved that they never sent me anything. I can totally understand the marketing tactic, but I do agree that it's a little foolish to lure in new customers at the risk of upsetting long-time, loyal customers. I've been with Gamefly for nearly 3 years now and have bought TONS of games from them. I even went ahead and pre-paid another year of my subscription back when they offered it.

I still think the service is great, and it certainly helps a casual (okay, semi-casual) gamer like myself gain access to a wide variety of games that I can try out, and possibly keep for when I have the time to finish them. The Gamefly Rewards program has been a nice perk, with the 10% discount and $5 coupon every 3 months, but that really only makes it worthwhile to actually buy/keep games from them. Otherwise, I think most of the prices would be higher than I'd want to pay once the tax is added on (and possibly higher than what I could get from deals available at other retailers that are trying to get a piece of the video game retail pie).

This won't cause me to cancel my account in a fit of rage, but it does spoil my image of them just a tad. I can't really help feeling a bit irritated that I'll have to subscribe to their service for 6 months to get the same $10 in coupons that they just sent out in a single mailing to customers who, according to GF, don't really do much business with them. :\[/quote]

Wow, I was thinking I had written this post. That's exactly how I'm feeling. I e-mailed them to see about getting a coupon myself.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']Couldn't possibly disagree more. You actually think "Gameznflix" is better than Gamefly? You're probably the only person on the planet who does. G'nF was a total joke, never shipping games, never shipping pre-orders, never responding to emails, charging you for games you never received...hands down the worst-operated internet site or service of any kind I'd ever used.[/quote]

Well, in terms of shipping, you're probably right. BUT I can't really have beef with a company that charges me $6 to rent 1 game a month compared to 1 that charges me $17 for 1 game a month when that $17/month company follows through about as often as the cheaper one. I've had countless times where it says my first 2 or 3 are available, then they go ahead and send me #4 or 5. Hell they just did it a few weeks ago with Rainbow Six Vegas...RAINBOW SIX VEGAS. You can't tell me that's some hard to come by game that there's no possibility to have it in stock. Instead, they send me my #4 choice. At least with GnF I know ahead of time that nearly everything isn't available :lol:

[quote name='turls']Well, I guess I have to disagree, or at least it sure seems their base price has gone up at the price I'm interested in paying. When I can get new stuff for $15-$20 on games that have been out a while on sale, they are almost always still in the same range unless I apply a coupon. The only time I've seen it worth buying stuff lately is when I have a coupon.

If you don't want to wait for a sale or a B&M coupon or don't mind stuff being out of stock at GF by the time you try to buy it even if you have an e-mail alert set, I guess it is ok for others.

I feel the same way about GameFly's used pricing, 90% of the time, the way I feel about NetFlix trying to charge $7-$10 for used stuff, or the local video stores saying $10 for a scratched up DVD rental is a deal.[/quote]

Well, I can't necessarily disagree that most stores will drop the prices or have a deal soon thereafter, but I don't think GF is such a crappy deal considering nearly every game I've received from them (not counting rentals) was not only nearly mint, but also include a new manual and case. It's not that they have amazing deals or anything (though, they have in the past), it's just when comparing GameStop/EB vs. GF for used games, with the exception of selection, GF blows em away.

Just got MLB 07: The Show for the PS3 for $8.39 shipped. Never rented it, but always really wanted to. At least now it's around the same price as renting, but I got a second PS3 game to go into my collection along with Resistance .

Emailed about the coupon, got a response in one day with an apology and a $10 credit. This is why I will continue to patronize Gamefly.

[quote name='AlphakirA']Well, I can't necessarily disagree that most stores will drop the prices or have a deal soon thereafter, but I don't think GF is such a crappy deal considering nearly every game I've received from them (not counting rentals) was not only nearly mint, but also include a new manual and case. It's not that they have amazing deals or anything (though, they have in the past), it's just when comparing GameStop/EB vs. GF for used games, with the exception of selection, GF blows em away.[/quote]

I think you missed my point, it isn't saying much to say they blow away the competition, I think almost all non-discounted used media pricing is a racket compared to what a CAG can find new :)

Since I pay Netflix and Gamefly a sizable monthly chunk, I expect a little more for taking old inventory off their hands.

Timeshift was certainly worth 1 week of rental. The singleplay was pretty engaging (nothing special), but I wasn't into the multiplay. Try before you buy.

I just e-mailed them again, ignoring the first e-mail and politely asking for a coupon code. We'll see what happens this time. Next stop: phone call.

Chris

I actually haven't played it yet, I've got 3 other rentals at the moment keeping me busy. Gamefly activated my 2 at a time gift subscription this month, after they had told me it wouldn't go into effect until after my prepaid sub. was over next June. So I have 2 from them plus I had three free rentals from blockbuster expiring this month. I need a break. :/

Lame:

Thank you for your inquiry. As of 11/26/07, the Thanksgiving Storewide Sale promotion has expired and we will no longer be able to honor this offer. As a member of GameFly, you are eligible for GameFly Rewards. For more details regarding this specific program, please see our GameFly Rewards FAQ.

I sent the request late on the 25th. What a waste of time. They've flunked customer service 101 with me.

[quote name='turls']Lame:

I sent the request late on the 25th. What a waste of time. They've flunked customer service 101 with me.[/quote]

I would call them. Worse than the fact that they are refusing you is the fact that they are being inconsistent and giving the coupon to some people who complain, but not others.

Chris

[quote name='turls']Lame:

I sent the request late on the 25th. What a waste of time. They've flunked customer service 101 with me.[/QUOTE]
Weird, I sent an email two days ago and they sent me back this:

Thank you for your inquiry. We will be able to honor the Thanksgiving Storewide Sale promotion for your account. We have applied $10 GameFly Dollars, applicable towards purchases only. These GameFly Dollars will expire on 12/05/07, therefore you’ll need to be sure to use them prior to this date.

I'm gonna use it to get halo 3 for $32.

I got the same cookie cutter response posted above:
Thank you for your inquiry. As of 11/26/07, the Thanksgiving Storewide Sale promotion has expired and we will no longer be able to honor this offer. As a member of GameFly, you are eligible for GameFly Rewards. For more details regarding this specific program, please see our GameFly Rewards FAQ.

Sincerely,

GameFly Customer Service
Email: [email protected]
Online help: http://www.gamefly.com/help/default.asp

I replied back with this:

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Hi Gamefly,

I enjoy your service and I appreciate your response but I don't like being lied to like this. As of today, I know other members who have emailed you and got $10 credited to their account. I understand that maybe you sent it out to a random few or for some reason I wasn't good enough member to reap such rewards. Regardless it saddens me to see this type of cookie cutter response.

Thank you for your time,[/QUOTE]

It just ticked me off to see it, It's not enough to cancel my service with them, but it certainly made me feel bitter about them and if I ever have any issue with them I'll probobly drop them.

Thank you for your inquiry. We will be able to honor the Thanksgiving Storewide Sale promotion for your account. We have applied $10 GameFly Dollars, applicable towards purchases only. These GameFly Dollars will expire on 12/04/07, therefore you’ll need to be sure to use them prior to this date.

email i got back today

Checking

gamefly

woooo i got the 10 bucks now up to 35 Gamefly bucks

i got to think hard if i want to keep my service though

DRAGON QUEST jOKER.
Disgaea
and
tomorrow FF wings for the ds

is going to be sucking up alot of my time. I still might cancell for Dec and come back in jan

I e-mailed GF yesterday and got an e-mail back today with $10 GF dollars credited to my account. In my e-mail i simply said that i've been reading that people are gettign $10 coupons for a thanksgiving sale and that i haven't received one. Pretty simple actually.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']It just ticked me off to see it, It's not enough to cancel my service with them, but it certainly made me feel bitter about them and if I ever have any issue with them I'll probobly drop them.[/quote]

As far as the suggestion for calling them, I'm trying one more time to e-mail them. I basically said the same as LinkinPrime, don't give me your B.S. cookie cutter excuses, at least explain to me why I didn't qualify for either the initial promotion or the exceptions that many others got when they complained.

I did say it more nicely than that, I'm in the same boat, it still isn't enough to make me cancel but I'm going to let them know I don't appreciate this treatment.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I got the same cookie cutter response posted above:

Quote:

Sincerely,

GameFly Customer Service
Email: [email protected]
Online help: http://www.gamefly.com/help/default.asp

I replied back with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkinPrime
Hi Gamefly,

I enjoy your service and I appreciate your response but I don't like being lied to like this. As of today, I know other members who have emailed you and got $10 credited to their account. I understand that maybe you sent it out to a random few or for some reason I wasn't good enough member to reap such rewards. Regardless it saddens me to see this type of cookie cutter response.

Thank you for your time,

It just ticked me off to see it, It's not enough to cancel my service with them, but it certainly made me feel bitter about them and if I ever have any issue with them I'll probobly drop them..[/QUOTE]

I emailed them back roughly the same response. Although it my case I'll be canceling. Mostly due to the demise of the Brightspot stuff and the fact that I have several games I'm playing and won't need to rent any for awhile.

[quote name='wolfhunt']I emailed them back roughly the same response. Although it my case I'll be canceling. Mostly due to the demise of the Brightspot stuff and the fact that I have several games I'm playing and won't need to rent any for awhile.[/quote]

FYI, I went the prepaid way and paid for a year. It was a good deal, because I didn't have to deal with brightspot (can be wonky) and I got a % off the monthly subscription. I wish I remember the total. Just saying keep an eye open for when they may offer that again, it is a good deal if you use the service a lot like I do. Although I have been playing Rock Band and now Mass effect and all the rentals are going to the wife*.

(See DS)

[quote name='LuisRM']FYI, I went the prepaid way and paid for a year. It was a good deal, because I didn't have to deal with brightspot (can be wonky) and I got a % off the monthly subscription. I wish I remember the total. Just saying keep an eye open for when they may offer that again, it is a good deal if you use the service a lot like I do. Although I have been playing Rock Band and now Mass effect and all the rentals are going to the wife*.

(See DS)[/quote]

You can look at your billing history in your account settings, it will tell you.

[quote name='aihuman']whats gamefly shipping rates if you buy a game,if youre not a member?[/quote]

I believe it is free shipping even for non members. Just go to gamefly.com, click store and see, it says it there.

I emailed them before it was over and they still said I missed it.

I sent another email basically saying that even if I had sent the email late (which I did not), it's still about the fact that I was never even given the offer.

I finally received an email that 10 GF dollars were added to my account after pointing them to this link and explaining that i've been a user for more than 6 months and have an upgraded account. I might pick up Motorstorm for $15. I would cancel with them, as I have plenty of games and have had plenty of issues, but the fact is that they have the best prices on used games complete with like-new cases & instructions. I also wouldn't mind having that 10% off over my current 5%.

Just e-mailed them yet again. I can call them anytime between now and 1PM PST, so I think I will give them until lunchtime to get back to me, at which point I will call if I have still heard nothing. I would just let it drop, but everytime someone posts in this thread that their account got credited the $10, it irks me that I am being ignored.

LinkinPrime, you get a response yet?

Chris

I haven't received a response yet either. Two emails in.

Not a good sign.

I've bought 2 games from them previously (Graw 2 and Eternal Sonata) and would continue doing so but if they're gonna ignore my emails I might just cancel.

bread's done
Back