$100 12GB PS3 YMMV @WalMart

thehoweller

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Walked back into the electronics department of my local Supercenter in Massillon, OH. They have a pallet filled with the 12GB SSD PS3s for $100. I know their quality is questionable because of the harddrive almost having to be upgraded.

9ssz1e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI Best Buy sells the official Sony HDD add-on that includes the HDD in the enclosure. It's gone on sale many times in the past so it's worth keeping track if you get this console.

I saw the $100 price for Massillion in the app, so I checked a bunch near me (MN), and couldn't find any at that price in case anyone is wondering. I think I'd do it at that price for sure.. I've never had one.

FYI Best Buy sells the official Sony HDD add-on that includes the HDD in the enclosure. It's gone on sale many times in the past so it's worth keeping track if you get this console.
Picked this up for $30 a few months ago. No problems installing it, and the amount of content it holds is insane.

I have a super slim, not sure of the original hdd size cause I instantly swapped it out but that had a bracket. Is it only the 12gb with no bracket?
Yes. It has no HDD so they left it out to sell it with overpriced 500 GB kits.

It's cheaper to buy a third party bracket, but some are designed poorly. I got a cheap bracket and it had sharp edges that scratched my PS3 and only one correct screw.

Yes. It has no HDD so they left it out to sell it with overpriced 500 GB kits.

It's cheaper to buy a third party bracket, but some are designed poorly. I got a cheap bracket and it had sharp edges that scratched my PS3 and only one correct screw.
Sony discontinued the official bracket from their online parts catalog, so the Best Buy or third party brackets are the only option. Sounds like people might have to invest in some sand paper too lol.

i would have bought 2 of these maybe even more to be honest if my wallmart had them in stock. Im glad i got 2 oldschool 60gig backwards compatible ones back when they first came out. 

One of the Walmarts out here had them for $99 a few months back.  They only had a few and I didn't have the extra money at the time - they were gone fast.

All of the other WMs still have them for full price.  And if it hasn't already been mentioned, these are Black Friday leftover from last year, when they were $100, along with the 4GB 360E consoles.

Damn, I wish that was available around here, but still $199 locally. Really need to replace my broken PS3.

...I don't suppose anyone'd be willing to pick one of these up and trade for a YLOD BC PS3 and a half-working PSP Go?

Yep, it's basically a Vita stuffed into a box, with little real option for touch controls since it only works with PS3/PS4 controllers.

went to my local walmart hoping to find this deal, but no luck. OOS of the 12gb PS3.

Ended up seeing the PS4/Vita bundle at the same walmart, almost tempted to get it, even though it was still the regular price for it.

i bet i know what happened, i read a recent article about the new walmart CEO and the challenges the company is facing. their biggest problem is running out of stock on high demand items, compounded by hiring less and asking remaining employees to do more. It said its become a huge problem, where pallets of unsold inventory is sitting around in the back and employees are too busy to move them out unless they are tagged as high priority sales.

i bet this one store just had a pallet of these older PS3s and someone finally discovered them and the manager wants to clear out these expensive items before their boss gets wind of the screwup. Looking around in my state and california there are pretty much 0 around, I wonder if they were a 2012 or 2013 christmas item.
I'd like a link to that article, please.

Also, I call BS on the CEO's shenanigans because of the amount of money they make on iPhone 5 cables alone.

Seriously people, stop breaking your iPhone 5 cables. There is a reason why you unplug them by the connector and not by the cable. And stop buying them at Walmart when you can get better quality ones on eBay for 99¢ a dozen.

I have found out when it comes to buying something that you are sure you will need to somehow upgrade it usually cost you more in the end and winds up being not worth it. Especially in the computer era. The low price has trapped me a few times along the way. Get it if you just need one as a back up but if it is a primary save up the pennies and go bigger. you will thank yourself in the long run. 12 gb is just absolutely too small. that is so 2004
Not if you have an HDD already.

That being said if anybody can find this deal and is interested in an HDD, PM me. Have the stock 160gb I just took out of my PS3 for $25 if anybody is interested.

These were a black Friday special (2013). This store probably had a whole cage full of them and the manager decided to use store markdown money to clearance them. The quarter just ended and store-wide inventory counts are always around the corner.

I went to the Walmart site to look for this and found a preorder listing ($99.96) for Sony PlayStation TV System:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-PlayStation-TV-System/35284538

I didn't even know this existed?
It was called Vita TV in Japan but they're changing the name in America.

It's basically Sony's version of a Roku/Apple TV device except it also plays Vita carts, digital Vita/PSP/PS1 games, and can stream gameplay from a PS4 just like a Vita does, except it's to the TV its hooked up to.

The downside is it uses the overpriced Vita memory chips.

Don't forget the long list of games it doesn't play. I haven't seen a US list yet but last I knew Uncharted, Vritue's Last Reward, Gravity Rush and Tearaway don't work.
Yeah that's true anything with touch screen controls that can't be mapped to a shoulder button aren't going to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem I always seem to have is the varying prices between stores. The store closest to my house seems to be a bit overpriced for most items. Their clearance section is a major joke. Mostly junk and rarely any deals.

The funny thing is the place is usually packed. I guess many get the idea that because it's at Walmart it's the best price.

I wish I knew why some Walmart stores offer better prices. Income levels in the area?

Don't forget the long list of games it doesn't play. I haven't seen a US list yet but last I knew Uncharted, Vritue's Last Reward, Gravity Rush and Tearaway don't work.
Virtue's Last Reward doesn't work?! That's news to me. Guess I might put my money that was going for a Vita TV towards a Vita instead/first.

It was called Vita TV in Japan but they're changing the name in America.

It's basically Sony's version of a Roku/Apple TV device except it also plays Vita carts, digital Vita/PSP/PS1 games, and can stream gameplay from a PS4 just like a Vita does, except it's to the TV its hooked up to.

The downside is it uses the overpriced Vita memory chips.
What? Why wouldn't you just buy that instead of a vita if it plays vita cartridges?

What? Why wouldn't you just buy that instead of a vita if it plays vita cartridges?
The Vita TV doesn't support every game. Unless a patch releases for compatibility, no game that uses the touch screen, touch panel, motion sensor, camera, or microphone can be played, which removes a lot of the Vita's library.

Virtue's Last Reward doesn't work?! That's news to me. Guess I might put my money that was going for a Vita TV towards a Vita instead/first.

The Vita TV doesn't support every game. Unless a patch releases for compatibility, no game that uses the touch screen, touch panel, motion sensor, camera, or microphone can be played, which removes a lot of the Vita's library.
Yeah all we have to go by is the translated Japanese compatibility list. Sites like IGN and Giant Bomb tried to import the device so they could record Vita direct video but it wouldn't work w/o Japanese PSN accounts.

We'll just have to see if any improvements can be made once it hits the West.

[quote name="Raikouen" post="12004119" timestamp="1407877861"]The Vita TV doesn't support every game. Unless a patch releases for compatibility, no game that uses the touch screen, touch panel, motion sensor, camera, or microphone can be played, which removes a lot of the Vita's library.[/quote]
I've been noticing that the play station TV will support dualshock 4. So all games that use the sensors will be able to work with the P'S TV

LOL, so I stopped I at the OP's store that had this deal. They had 3 left, so I got one for my mom. Was talking to the electronics lady, and she said some guy had bought 20 (TWENTY) of them...and another guy bought FORTY OF THEM. Forty. Four-Zero.

People are amazing...

LOL, so I stopped I at the OP's store that had this deal. They had 3 left, so I got one for my mom. Was talking to the electronics lady, and she said some guy had bought 20 (TWENTY) of them...and another guy bought FORTY OF THEM. Forty. Four-Zero.

People are amazing...
I hope that was exaggeration. Forty? How do you freaking drop $4000 + tax like that?

Lmaoooo from Ohio hahaha
Sometimes you've to spend money to make money...

40x $100=$4000 + $250ish (6% tax)
Sold on Ebay @175x40=$7000
-Ebay Fees $25x40=$1000
-Shipping Fees $25x40=$1000
-Two that some assholes scam you out of on Ebay and Ebay backs the buyer $100x2=$200

TLDR The idiot spent $4250 to make probably $500 after a ton of work and stress.

fucking retard.

-Ebay Fees $25x40=$1000
-Two that some assholes scam you out of on Ebay and Ebay backs the buyer $100x2=$200

TLDR The idiot spent $4250 to make probably $500 after a ton of work and stress.

fucking retard.
Which is why I don't sell on eBay...barely buy anything from there.

-Ebay Fees $25x40=$1000

fucking retard.
Eh... $500 for one fell swoop of getting most PS3s, or visiting multiple stores? You forgot gas if he went to multiple stores.

If he just went to one store $500 is decent profit for one trip. I can tell you right now after taxes, 401k health insurance etc. I'm not making a lot of money. I understand the hate for flippers, I feel the rage everytime I visit the Amazon Warehouse deal thread, but to me that's worth the effort if It's just one trip.

Though the stress is a lot less easier if you say order something online or get luck with some collectors editions that go rare, like Destiny Ghost edition. Easier money to be had that way.

All those trips to the post office to mail out consoles, the stress of managing 40 online auctions and shipping each one correctly and on time...then dealing with reprocussions of when you happen to sell to a douchebag who damages the product and blames you or the post office.

It truly isn't worth it for $500...Did I mention the cost of packaging materials...boxes and stuffing/bubblewrap isn't cheap.

bread's done
Back