$20 Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (best buy)

Oddly enough it's showing at all stores now when earlier there were none available.

Used reward zone and ordered one for $10. Let's see if this is true....

I bought this from Best Buy last week (exactly 7 days ago for $30) it's open as of right now, but if I came in the store with just the receipt would they price match it and give me back $10?

I bought this from Best Buy last week (exactly 7 days ago for $30) it's open as of right now, but if I came in the store with just the receipt would they price match it and give me back $10?
Of course

There is no reason to even bring the game, they will adjust it with just the reciept

I currently don't live close to a best buy so I tried to price match at walmart but they didn't have it. So I got home and was about to send something to amazon but I noticed I could get shipping.

I bought it immediately because this has been on my list since it came out. Shortly thereafter I got a back order email saying it will arrive sometime in August.

I'm not holding my breathe just because I had this happen a long time ago, but I hope best buy isn't as bad at filling those orders.

Either way considering they emailed me and it said no shipping, eh, I'm trying to cheat the system so, meh, whatever, if it doesn't work out.
It's my understanding that BBY won't be stocking this game anymore, so the chances they get new copies in aren't very good. I wouldn't guess that you're going to get one.

it is a system glitch, it will just cancel. you just wasted $10 rewardzone
Yeah it was a glitch. Called thinking I could squeeze one out of free shipping to home from warehouse but hey didn't have any.

They instantly refunded my rewardzone $10.

Didn't "waste" anything.

I would have bit at this but it's not available anywhere near me.  

Your crappy local stores have saved me $20, Best Buy!

My order is backordered on Ni No Kuni. Anyone in same boat as I am? I did get an estimate delivery date of Aug 8 - 19. You guys think the order will process? Or should I not get my hopes up?
That happened to me twice in the past and from my experience you should receive your game.

Ordered one when this thread was first posted.  I'm not that big into jrpgs, but I did really like Dragon Quest VIII, and this is by the same dev, so maybe I'll enjoy this.  Had to at least try it at $20 for all the universal praise it's getting.

Ordered one when this thread was first posted. I'm not that big into jrpgs, but I did really like Dragon Quest VIII, and this is by the same dev, so maybe I'll enjoy this. Had to at least try it at $20 for all the universal praise it's getting.
Art is very similar, but Ni No Kuni is not turned based like Dragon Quest VIII. The Dynamic fighting in Ni No Kuni does take some getting use to and the take takes forever to pick up.

Art is very similar, but Ni No Kuni is not turned based like Dragon Quest VIII. The Dynamic fighting in Ni No Kuni does take some getting use to and the take takes forever to pick up.
The art style and music was what drew me into DQ8 and kept me playing. Though I never finished it because I started the game on my backwards compatible 60gb ps3 and it's on its deathbed for now (runs really hot and loud, been procrastinating the thermal paste replacement in fear of breaking it). Have the save file and recently purchased a ps2, but I don't know how to transfer a ps3/ps2 save file to a ps2 memory card, if it's even possible.

Maybe the art style in Ni No Kuni will be able draw me into this game as well.

Nice, just ordered from Amazon and cancelled my Best Buy order.  No tax, plus I had some sort of promotion applied for $19.99 making it free.  Still searching through previous emails on how I received that promotional credit.

Contemplating if I should cancel my order from best buy....bah

My best buy was OOS but I easily PMed at Target. Very easy and they had a butt load of ni no kunis.

The game seems a bit childish but it's got that old school RPG feel which is awesome. Nice voice acting, too. Only in about an hour or so, I'm sure it'll get better.

I'd recommend playing a good JRPG first to see how you feel about them before trying Ni No Kuni.
Why should he go buy yet another RPG to see if he likes them? Why not just try Ni No Kuni?

I still can't believe Amazon PM'ed this... considering it was sold out everywhere at Best Buy, there was no reason to.

I found a copy at a Best Buy that was sold out. Was hidden in a pile. I submitted the price matches yesterday, I'd like to dream I helped :p

Got my copy, I am pleased.

Best Buy just shipped my copy. Back order, psh. wheeeee =)

PM'ed at Target.  The clerk in electronics was asking for the iPad to double check, but they had left it at CS.  He didn't seem to want to believe me and maybe they would have denied me the PM if they saw that all the BBs were out.  In the end, I got the PM and that's all that matters.

FWIW, the Target I was at had NNK for $30 as a temporary price drop.  Now to decide if I should get PxZ for $30 at BB or see if it drops to $20.

My local Target had 1 copy left on the shelves and I was able to price match BB's price through my iPhone.

None of my local Best Buy stores had it and as many others have mentioned, it's also out of stock online.

I've been waiting for this price point for a while now. Looking forward to finally playing the game! :)

My best buy was OOS but I easily PMed at Target. Very easy and they had a butt load of ni no kunis.

The game seems a bit childish but it's got that old school RPG feel which is awesome. Nice voice acting, too. Only in about an hour or so, I'm sure it'll get better.
Regarding your comment about the game being childish...

I feel that this is the direction that Studio Ghibli usually take with their productions. They present mature topics mixed with great imaginations all through a very innocent/child-like/simplified presentation. This style of presentation is clearly seen in their famous works like "My Neighbor Totoro", "Spirited Away" or "Princess Mononoke".

Why should he go buy yet another RPG to see if he likes them? Why not just try Ni No Kuni?

I still can't believe Amazon PM'ed this... considering it was sold out everywhere at Best Buy, there was no reason to.
Eh, it's not that surprising. Fact is NNK didn't sell well, but Sony clearly thought it would and over-printed. The game is no doubt headed to $19.99 MSRP anyways, and given the new consoles are just months away (and aren't backwards compatible), these games (and others) are all headed for quick drops.

That said, I also am doubtful many publishers will be reprinting current-gen titles. This one is likely to go the road of Rogue Galaxy which never got a GH reprint.

Okay, so I keep reading people saying how this is a lot like old school RPGs, and I just let the comments go, but since this thread is dying down anyway, I feel compelled to ask.

- How, exactly, is this game similar to old school RPGs?

- Which old school RPGs is NNK similar to?

FWIW, the only real answer that that would satisfy me is that it's kind of like Earthbound. But it's not like Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, any of the Final Fantasies, etc. And if you said it was like Earthbound, I would laugh at how short NNK fell from that standard.

Got mine in the mail yesterday. Hoping it doesn't have an overly long intro at the beginning because I might fall asleep on it. Working two jobs is killing me.

Okay, so I keep reading people saying how this is a lot like old school RPGs, and I just let the comments go, but since this thread is dying down anyway, I feel compelled to ask.
- How, exactly, is this game similar to old school RPGs?
- Which old school RPGs is NNK similar to?

FWIW, the only real answer that that would satisfy me is that it's kind of like Earthbound. But it's not like Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, any of the Final Fantasies, etc. And if you said it was like Earthbound, I would laugh at how short NNK fell from that standard.
The battle system, without playing it and reading what people have said, sounds like Jade Coccoon from PS1.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess what I mean by the old school feel is that it has that top down view from the world map. Walking around getting into battles and stuff. I haven't played RPGs in a long time (no new gen titles) and the game reminded me of breath of fire, final fantasy 4 and etc..

Sweet, just got mine today, earlier than expected (just checked UPS tracking yesterday and it said monday, but it's here now instead, which is awesome).

Got mine in the mail yesterday. Hoping it doesn't have an overly long intro at the beginning because I might fall asleep on it. Working two jobs is killing me.

It's a JRPG so you need to commit time if you want to progress. Not the type of game to go to for quick gameplay.

All my local stores showed "unavailable" for in-store pickup this entire week, but I decided to swing by one of the Best Buys last night on a whim. They had one lone copy of NNK, so I picked it up. I'm looking forward to playing this after hearing so much positive feedback about the game.  :D

It's a JRPG so you need to commit time if you want to progress. Not the type of game to go to for quick gameplay.
Yeah, I didn't bother starting it until this morning since I wanted to be fresh for it. I've played for a good six hours at this point and only made it to the second town. I got killed during a battle I wasn't expecting (don't worry, no spoilers), but it was still six hours well-spent.

One last thought - games that look as good as Ni No Kuni are why we don't need PS4 and Xbox One yet, in my opinion. And I'm talking about the in-game graphics. The Studio Ghibli animations are the icing on the cake.

Thank you. I cancelled my Amazon order. And love using certs at BBY, tax is applied after the deducted price.
Yeah, since BBY and Target started price-matching, I find myself buying less and less from Amazon. Don't mind paying the little extra for instant gratification. Plus, if you have the Target card, the extra 5% practically makes the difference a few nickels and pennies.

I got mine in the mail today. Backorder, psh! Sad thing is, I won't have time to play it in awhile, but hey, 20$ for a game that I know will only go up in price now is worth it. This is probably the last game in quite awhile that I will treat myself to. 

bread's done
Back