2008 NFL Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Marlins called, and they disagree.

I don't think the NFL will suffer too greatly without a salary cap. Look at how well Snyder did with trying to buy a championship. Look at the great success with the Patriots.

The MLB has a revenue sharing deal in place, and the Marlins have done quite well for thenselves. GB and Pittsburgh shouldn't fret too much.

We have great owners and a great fanbase. We wouldn't get left behind. Owners would stil get a ton of revenue from TV deals.

Oh yeah - what's this about being able to choose own own cameras soon with DirecTV?

I'll take the Madden cam, please.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']The Marlins called, and they disagree.

I don't think the NFL will suffer too greatly without a salary cap. Look at how well Snyder did with trying to buy a championship. Look at the great success with the Patriots.

The MLB has a revenue sharing deal in place, and the Marlins have done quite well for thenselves. GB and Pittsburgh shouldn't fret too much.

We have great owners and a great fanbase. We wouldn't get left behind. Owners would stil get a ton of revenue from TV deals.

Oh yeah - what's this about being able to choose own own cameras soon with DirecTV?

I'll take the Madden cam, please.[/quote]

revenue sharing is garbage... The Yanks are not sending any money this year because of the stadium.. salary cap is the way to go.. and Buffalo would be one of the first teams to go if they take away the salary cap...

[quote name='DJSteel']Thing is for baseball, they still have the baseball fans from the 50's - 60's keeping them going...If you were living in Pittsburgh, you wouldn't be saying the same thing... eventually, slowly teams will wither away until you just have the major markets left.. in 10 years, I don't think the Pirates will be around.. they don't have the revenue available to be competitive now, they'll most likely die out in ten years.. it is extremely sad and I hope the NFL doesn't go this route...[/quote]

Not to derail the thread but it's hard to imagine a team as old as the Pirates to die off so easily. Hopefully the team can make some things happen and get people into the brand-new park, other than giveaways almost every night.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']

I'll take the Madden cam, please.[/quote]

I'll watch only if I get to see Madden eat a whole Turducken. But even so I'd only watch it once, for my eyes may melt.

[quote name='Lobsterjohnson']Not to derail the thread but it's hard to imagine a team as old as the Pirates to die off so easily. Hopefully the team can make some things happen and get people into the brand-new park, other than giveaways almost every night.

I'll watch only if I get to see Madden eat a whole Turducken. But even so I'd only watch it once, for my eyes may melt.[/quote]

I can.. and I live in Pittsburgh.. the only draw to the games are fireworks night and bobbleheads...they are on the very of breaking the record most consecutive losing seasons and no one in Pittsburgh cares because it's been so long since we've won.. people here are now rooting for .500 ball which is sad..Now if the NFL went the way of the MLB, teams would die.. especially ones who NEED their super stars to put fans in the stands..it would be another Boston vs New York..cause that is all america cares about...

MLB & NFL don't compare.

MLB has an extensive minor league system.

MLB can draft high schoolers.

MLB has a huge foreign presence.

MLB teams have 6 years of player control with players making peanuts their first 3 years no matter how good they are.

[quote name='DJSteel']I can.. and I live in Pittsburgh.. the only draw to the games are fireworks night and bobbleheads...they are on the very of breaking the record most consecutive losing seasons and no one in Pittsburgh cares because it's been so long since we've won.. people here are now rooting for .500 ball which is sad..Now if the NFL went the way of the MLB, teams would die.. especially ones who NEED their super stars to put fans in the stands..it would be another Boston vs New York..cause that is all america cares about...[/QUOTE]

I understand what you are saying about Pitt, but no teams so far have shut down in the MLB so I don't see how you can say NFL teams would cease to exist. These smaller market teams, like Florida, who win then dump all there players, still continue to make money.

[quote name='DJSteel']I can.. and I live in Pittsburgh.. the only draw to the games are fireworks night and bobbleheads...they are on the very of breaking the record most consecutive losing seasons and no one in Pittsburgh cares because it's been so long since we've won.. people here are now rooting for .500 ball which is sad..Now if the NFL went the way of the MLB, teams would die.. especially ones who NEED their super stars to put fans in the stands..it would be another Boston vs New York..cause that is all america cares about...[/QUOTE]

The Pirates don't suck because of money, they suck because of ownership.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']The Pirates don't suck because of money, they suck because of ownership.[/quote]

please.. enough with the everyone in the league has a chance to win bs.. what makes top tier teams top tier teams is their ability to pay for superstars.. there are no superstars on the Pirates.. 0. which equal to 0 draw, which is why hey have to resort to bobblehead/fireworks nights.. and by the way.. salary caps don't only just level out the playing field at the top end.. it also makes the excessively cheap teams pay because they have to spend a certain amount..

[quote name='DJSteel']please.. enough with the everyone in the league has a chance to win bs.. what makes top tier teams top tier teams is their ability to pay for superstars.. there are no superstars on the Pirates.. 0. which equal to 0 draw, which is why hey have to resort to bobblehead/fireworks nights.. and by the way.. salary caps don't only just level out the playing field at the top end.. it also makes the excessively cheap teams pay because they have to spend a certain amount..[/QUOTE]

Come on. Outside of the Giles for Bay trade, when have the owners actually tried to keep anyone? You have to spend money to make money, and they seem fine with not doing that. They aren't quite on the Donald Sterling level, but they make odd decisions.

We can continue this in the MLB thread if you want.

The NBA has the best cap situation i've ever seen, you have a set-amount, you can go over, but the Owner has to pay it, which restricts a Steinbrenner coming out of the bunch (excluding Cuban).

Ross Tucker, a former offensive lineman who played for five teams in a seven-year NFL career, reiterated Thursday that he believes that New England used players on the injured reserve list in practices, which violates league rules.
Former Patriots video assistant Matt Walsh, in a meeting with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell last week, said that a Patriots player on injured reserve practiced when he wasn't allowed to in 2001. The NFL said it would investigate the claim.
Tucker continued to contend the Patriots used injured players illegally during an interview on ESPN's "NFL Live." He first wrote about it last week on SI.com.
Tucker told "NFL Live" that Patriots coach Bill Belichick will do anything he can "to get an advantage." He also added that using a player on injured reserve in practice was of "minimal" benefit.
Last Friday, in an article published on SI.com, Tucker wrote that: "I had heard the Patriots did this before I signed with them in 2005 and I saw it firsthand during my time there. I asked veteran receiver Troy Brown about it one time and he responded, 'Every team in the league does that.' I quickly let him know none of the three teams I played for previously had done so.
"Basically, the Patriots would put a player on IR, knowing it meant he couldn't play in a game or practice with the team for the remainder of the season. By skirting the rules and practicing him anyway, it allowed them to develop his skills during the year. A side benefit is that they were also able to give some of the older players less repetitions and, therefore, additional rest."
Tucker played with Washington, Dallas, Buffalo, New England and Cleveland during his career. He currently writes for SI.com and hosts a show on Sirius satellite radio.

Bellicheck should either:
1) be fined again, suspended, and put on probation.. an NFL official should be assigned to cover the whole season of the Pats to oversee and make sure he breaks no rules.

2) be banned from the league entirely.

taping and breaking the rules once.. eh you fine him, I'm okay with that.. if the NFL doesn't suspend him now.. there is something wrong with the system..

No coach has cheated more than Mike Shanahan, and I'm not just talking about cut blocks... In my opinion, there is no greater sin in the NFL than to cheat the salary cap, and thats exactly what he did in both Super Bowl years, by keeping money off the books to Elway, Davis, and others. Where is the outcry? What did they ever lose because of it?

They were caught on two separate occasions, I would think there should've been some severe punishment for hiding the other violations the first time. But each time they only lost a 3rd round pick and less than a million dollars.

Ahh, I see.

The old 'Hey, we got fined and that's the end of it vs oh, it's another coach? Let's keep bringing it up' line of reasoning.

[quote name='dafoomie']No coach has cheated more than Mike Shanahan, and I'm not just talking about cut blocks... In my opinion, there is no greater sin in the NFL than to cheat the salary cap, and thats exactly what he did in both Super Bowl years, by keeping money off the books to Elway, Davis, and others. Where is the outcry? What did they ever lose because of it?

They were caught on two separate occasions, I would think there should've been some severe punishment for hiding the other violations the first time. But each time they only lost a 3rd round pick and less than a million dollars.[/quote]

if you are trying to quantify what should be punished vs not, the Broncos should be punished, but that is not what is to be determined.. using players that they weren't supposed to use during practice gave the Pats unfair advantage in that they could rest their active guys and practice with the PUP and disabled list..

[quote name='DJSteel']if you are trying to quantify what should be punished vs not, the Broncos should be punished, but that is not what is to be determined.. using players that they weren't supposed to use during practice gave the Pats unfair advantage in that they could rest their active guys and practice with the PUP and disabled list..[/QUOTE]
Huh?

If they wanted to rest players in practice, they have this thing called a practice squad, in addition to their 53 man roster.

The IR issue is about teams essentially redshirting rookies for a year, the only benefit of a player on IR practicing is experience for that player. A great many teams do this, as the league has looked the other way for years.

Joey Porter sounds like a bitter, pathetic shell of a man, by the way. That was a sweet win, after the Steelers proudly proclaimed that they had "bought their tickets to New Orleans" before the game. Brady got hurt with 2 minutes left in the 2nd quarter, and they let Drew Bledsoe drive 40 yards in under a minute to take a 14-3 lead.

The 3 picks by Kordell Stewart, and the 2 special teams TD's they gave up, probably had a little to do with them losing that game. Jerome Bettis rushing for 8 yards, and their team rushing for 58 yards, were likely factors as well.

But alas, they could've overcome all this had the Patriots not had a slightly less elevated camera angle in their prior regular season game.

[quote name='dafoomie']Huh?

If they wanted to rest players in practice, they have this thing called a practice squad, in addition to their 53 man roster.

The IR issue is about teams essentially redshirting rookies for a year, the only benefit of a player on IR practicing is experience for that player. A great many teams do this, as the league has looked the other way for years.

Joey Porter sounds like a bitter, pathetic shell of a man, by the way. That was a sweet win, after the Steelers proudly proclaimed that they had "bought their tickets to New Orleans" before the game. Brady got hurt with 2 minutes left in the 2nd quarter, and they let Drew Bledsoe drive 40 yards in under a minute to take a 14-3 lead.

The 3 picks by Kordell Stewart, and the 2 special teams TD's they gave up, probably had a little to do with them losing that game. Jerome Bettis rushing for 8 yards, and their team rushing for 58 yards, were likely factors as well.

But alas, they could've overcome all this had the Patriots not had a slightly less elevated camera angle in their prior regular season game.[/quote]

no.. you may want to read more into it,. they'd do this with veterans as well and no... other teams don't do it..

as for the AFC Championship game in 2001, maybe Hines wasn't lying when he said the Pats were calling their plays.. the knowledge of the plays + the rested players probably got them the game.. they didn't win by that much..but heck.. they only broke 2 rules... their 3 Super Bowl victories is not directly related to that at all..:roll:

defend your team all you want.. they got caught and they will be punished more than that ridiculous fine and draft pick they lost..

The only reason this shit is even coming up is because they are the New England Patriots. The whole spygate thing put NE as the most hated team in the NFL and maybe in all of sports in general. I doubt this ( Ross Tucker Thing ) will be the last thing to arise and make the Pats look bad.

As a Dallas fan I have no problem with the Pats. It really seems like all Steeler fans have some issue with the Pats. Hell, all Steeler fans have issue with just about every NFL team not called the Pittsburgh Steelers.

NOTE: I was drinking when I wrote this so im not too sure how coherent it is :D Good Night everyone :D

[quote name='pimpinc333']NOTE: I was drinking when I wrote this so im not too sure how coherent it is :D Good Night everyone :D[/quote]

It read fine and I agree, this isn't the last we hear of cheating stories from the Pats.

So it sounds like Jason Taylor is done in Miami. Nothing is definite but where do you think he'll go?

[quote name='pimpinc333']The only reason this shit is even coming up is because they are the New England Patriots. The whole spygate thing put NE as the most hated team in the NFL and maybe in all of sports in general. I doubt this ( Ross Tucker Thing ) will be the last thing to arise and make the Pats look bad.

As a Dallas fan I have no problem with the Pats. It really seems like all Steeler fans have some issue with the Pats. Hell, all Steeler fans have issue with just about every NFL team not called the Pittsburgh Steelers.

NOTE: I was drinking when I wrote this so im not too sure how coherent it is :D Good Night everyone :D[/quote]

lmao..of course you can care less.. Dallas is nfc, and your boys don't play them in the playoffs... you'd be pissed if the Packers were the ones caught last year wouldn't you? or the 49ers back in the 90's where your boys played them every year in the Championship game...

[quote name='DJSteel']lmao..of course you can care less.. Dallas is nfc, and your boys don't play them in the playoffs... you'd be pissed if the Packers were the ones caught last year wouldn't you? or the 49ers back in the 90's where your boys played them every year in the Championship game...[/QUOTE]

I dunno. I actually really liked the Packers because Favre was the man. There are really no teams I dislike. I kinda dislike the Steelers since they are usually all I hear about up in PA.

[quote name='DJSteel']no.. you may want to read more into it,. they'd do this with veterans as well and no... other teams don't do it..

as for the AFC Championship game in 2001, maybe Hines wasn't lying when he said the Pats were calling their plays.. the knowledge of the plays + the rested players probably got them the game.. they didn't win by that much..but heck.. they only broke 2 rules... their 3 Super Bowl victories is not directly related to that at all..:roll:

defend your team all you want.. they got caught and they will be punished more than that ridiculous fine and draft pick they lost..[/QUOTE]

Not to say I agree with the Patriots because I do think they are cheaters. But how do you know other teams do not video tape or use players when they are on IR during practice? I highly doubt the Pats were the only team doing these two things. They were just the ones to get caught.

You have to remember, Belicheck is from the tree of Parcells coaches. Who's to say he did not pick this up from Parcells? But anyway, I just don't see how you can say other teams were not doing this because you have no idea if they were or not.

[quote name='DomLando']Not to say I agree with the Patriots because I do think they are cheaters. But how do you know other teams do not video tape or use players when they are on IR during practice? I highly doubt the Pats were the only team doing these two things. They were just the ones to get caught.

You have to remember, Belicheck is from the tree of Parcells coaches. Who's to say he did not pick this up from Parcells? But anyway, I just don't see how you can say other teams were not doing this because you have no idea if they were or not.[/quote]
This isn't directed to you in particular, but

Everyone always throws around these what-ifs when discussing the Patriots and their cheating. Let me say this, I do believe that other teams cheat/have cheated as well. But that's irrelevant because who has gotten caught for it? The Pats should be punished regardless of a "Oh everybody else cheats too but they just don't get caught" sentiment. Also, it's beginning to become a pattern for the Pats-this is why they deserve the heightened attention they are receiving. There will be more allegations to come.

"I just don't see how you can say other teams were not doing this because you have no idea if they were or not"

You almost said it yourself

[quote name='primetime']This isn't directed to you in particular, but

Everyone always throws around these what-ifs when discussing the Patriots and their cheating. Let me say this, I do believe that other teams cheat/have cheated as well. But that's irrelevant because who has gotten caught for it? The Pats should be punished regardless of a "Oh everybody else cheats too but they just don't get caught" sentiment. Also, it's beginning to become a pattern for the Pats-this is why they deserve the heightened attention they are receiving. There will be more allegations to come.

"I just don't see how you can say other teams were not doing this because you have no idea if they were or not"

You almost said it yourself[/QUOTE]

I think the Pats case is worse because they have been caught for a bunch of different things. I still think teams are doing things they are not supposed to. I just meant not to the extent the Pats have gone.

[quote name='DJSteel']no.. you may want to read more into it,. they'd do this with veterans as well and no... other teams don't do it..

defend your team all you want.. they got caught and they will be punished more than that ridiculous fine and draft pick they lost..[/QUOTE]
If they were calling their plays, thats not illegal in the NFL. You can film signals from designated locations in the stadium, and you can have a guy with binoculars anywhere you want.

Stealing signals is as commonplace in the NFL as it is in baseball, and its completely, 100% legal. You continue to misunderstand just what this rule is. The Jets were caught stealing signs in a playoff game against the Patriots a couple years ago (also with a camera in an illegal location, which Mangini admitted, though the league has taken no action). The Dolphins stole the Pats offensive audibles a couple years ago. Marty Schottenheimer and Herm Edwards have said that they steal signals all the time.

Denver cheated by violating the cap in both of their Superbowl years. The 49ers paid Steve Young and others under the table, cheating the cap and winning Superbowls. The Colts have been illegally cranking up the heat in their stadium and using fake crowd noise. The Jets were caught doing the same thing the Pats did, taping signals from outside of the designated location. The Jets tampered with Patriots players and coaches when Mangini became their coach (he was asking players and coaches to come with him to the Jets, before the Superbowl, while still working for the Pats (thats the real reason why Belichick hates him). The Steelers pioneered the use of steroids in the NFL.

But nobody likes to talk about that.

[quote name='dafoomie']If they were calling their plays, thats not illegal in the NFL. You can film signals from designated locations in the stadium, and you can have a guy with binoculars anywhere you want.

Stealing signals is as commonplace in the NFL as it is in baseball, and its completely, 100% legal. You continue to misunderstand just what this rule is. The Jets were caught stealing signs in a playoff game against the Patriots a couple years ago (also with a camera in an illegal location, which Mangini admitted, though the league has taken no action). The Dolphins stole the Pats offensive audibles a couple years ago. Marty Schottenheimer and Herm Edwards have said that they steal signals all the time.

Denver cheated by violating the cap in both of their Superbowl years. The 49ers paid Steve Young and others under the table, cheating the cap and winning Superbowls. The Colts have been illegally cranking up the heat in their stadium and using fake crowd noise. The Jets were caught doing the same thing the Pats did, taping signals from outside of the designated location. The Jets tampered with Patriots players and coaches when Mangini became their coach (he was asking players and coaches to come with him to the Jets, before the Superbowl, while still working for the Pats (thats the real reason why Belichick hates him). The Steelers pioneered the use of steroids in the NFL.

But nobody likes to talk about that.[/quote]

Typical whiny NE Patriots fan. Keep pointing your finger @ other franchises...

I can't believe Favre is asking the Packers to release him, if he goes to another team, it's going to ruin the way he went out. It's either Packers or bust man...

[quote name='Inf^Shini']I can't believe Favre is asking the Packers to release him, if he goes to another team, it's going to ruin the way he went out. It's either Packers or bust man...[/quote]

I really hope ESPN is blowing this way out of proportion (very likely). They're putting up stories like "OMG Favre to the Bucs?!" based off of NOTHING.

I was listening to the ESPN Madison station and they were saying with the request Favre made, they have three options. He plays for the Packers, they trade him, or they just drop him.

I can somewhat understand why Ted Thompson doesn't want him back, but if Favre is for real, they have absolutely no reason not to let him take over again. If Brett Favre plays for any other team, Ted Thompson needs to be punched in the throat.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']I can't believe Favre is asking the Packers to release him, if he goes to another team, it's going to ruin the way he went out. It's either Packers or bust man...[/QUOTE]
Agreed. I think he may not want to go back to the Packers because they pretty much went on without him and he doesn't want disrupt what they have going with Aaron Rodgers.

[quote name='smiggity']Typical whiny NE Patriots fan. Keep pointing your finger @ other franchises...[/QUOTE]
And I'm sure your shit doesn't stink, either. Have fun with 6-10 though.

And let me know when you clamor for Kenny Rogers to be kicked out of the league for putting pine tar on the ball. That isn't cheating?

[quote name='Inf^Shini']I can't believe Favre is asking the Packers to release him, if he goes to another team, it's going to ruin the way he went out. It's either Packers or bust man...[/QUOTE]

Personally he should stick to his word on being retired. I respect what he brought to the game even if I hate the team he played for. However to me I feel that its not right for you Packer fans to suddenly see him potentially end up with another team after he called it quits from playing just a few short months ago.

It would be funny in an twisted way if he signed with the Vikings however. Can you imagine the riot that would happen at that MNF opener if Farve did that?

[quote name='Demolition Man']

It would be funny in an twisted way if he signed with the Vikings however. Can you imagine the riot that would happen at that MNF opener if Farve did that?[/QUOTE]

Be even better if he signed with Chicago... lol

I'd prefer he stay retired also, I think he's just going through what all other Veteran players do, having that "itch".

At least the Packers aren't granting him his request for release, in fact, he actually planned to return for the 08' season, but kept changing his mind and he told the Packers a couple days before making it official that he decided to stay retired.

I would love to see him back for another year, but he just needs to give it up, if anything, I just see him as a back up to Rodgers. However, given Rodgers injury-prone history, I wouldn't be surprised to see Favre back on the field if he did decide to accept the back-up QB position :p

The Packers would never allow it to happen but how jacked up would that be if they granted Favre his release and he signed with the Bears?

On ESPN today they were talking about the possible scenarios that would play out with this whole Favre thing. They were saying that the Pack would not give Favre a release. They would tell him if he wanted to play he'd have to do so as a backup. If he's unwilling to accept that they might pursue a trade with other teams. If they went that route Favre could get stuck playing for a shitty team like Miami if they were the only ones willing to give up something for him.

I say he needs to go to the Kansas City Chiefs. He's just about old enough for them (see Steve DeBerg, Dave Kreig, Joe Montana, Warren Moon, Trent Green, etc...);)

[quote name='dafoomie']And I'm sure your shit doesn't stink, either. Have fun with 6-10 though.

And let me know when you clamor for Kenny Rogers to be kicked out of the league for putting pine tar on the ball. That isn't cheating?[/quote]

Honest 6-10>Illegitimate success

I could care less about Kenny Rogers. Get his old ass outta here.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Brett Favre = Megadouche...

If 1/2 of GreenBay doesn't want you back...take the hint...[/quote]

He's obviously taken the hint by asking to be released. He just wants to play now as it seems. If he does play I think he's going to Tampa with the collection of old ass quarterbacks. I heard once they acquire Brett all they'll need is Vinny Testaverde and they'll complete the set.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Brett Favre = Megadouche...

If 1/2 of GreenBay doesn't want you back...take the hint...[/QUOTE]

All of the Green Bay Fans want him back. fucksake they have Aaron Rodgers starting this season. That shit right there can't be good.

[quote name='pimpinc333']All of the Green Bay Fans want him back. fucksake they have Aaron Rodgers starting this season. That shit right there can't be good.[/quote]

Actually the Green Bay newspaper took a poll and only 48% of the fans questioned wanted Favre back....take it for what you will.

The Packers should trade Favre to whichever team gives them the best offer. They're set on moving forward with Rodgers & Brahm and weren't planning on having Favre this year. If someone is willing to throw draft picks at you for a player you didn't even have on your roster a few weeks ago then it's like free money.

If it's a team like Miami and Favre doesn't want to go there well that's tough shit for him.

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']Bears sign former Lions RB Kevin Jones to a 1 year deal. Interesting.[/QUOTE]

Nice pick up for Chicago. As long as he stays healthy he is a back that get give you 1000+ and can receive out of the backfield. The healthy part though is what to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back