2008 NFL Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='DJSteel']Kevin Jones is a better RB than Benson and what he has shown the past couple of years...[/QUOTE]

yeah but being better than Benson isn't saying much. Don't get me wrong though, if he has a line in front of him and he stays healthy, he should be a pretty decent back. His career was squandered in Detroit.

[quote name='fart_bubble']yeah but being better than Benson isn't saying much. Don't get me wrong though, if he has a line in front of him and he stays healthy, he should be a pretty decent back. His career was squandered in Detroit.[/QUOTE]

He actually did pretty well in Detroit despite injuries and having a terrible line ahead of him.

Found this on another forum....

brett-1.jpg

:rofl:

[quote name='fart_bubble']yeah but being better than Benson isn't saying much. Don't get me wrong though, if he has a line in front of him and he stays healthy, he should be a pretty decent back. His career was squandered in Detroit.[/QUOTE]

If he can help take some of the pressure off of Forte and it has a positive success, then I'm all for it.

So... anyone think that the news of the Packers filing tampering charges on the Vikings is an way of scaring the Vikes off from trying to get Farve.... or could it be something else????

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']Alright folks, time for a major news bump. Jason Taylor to the 'Skins and Jeremy Shockey to the Saints.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

As a Dallas fan I am sad and happy at the same time. Sad that Jason Taylor is in the NFC east and happy Shockey is out of the East

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']Chicago Bears extend Brian Urlacher through 2012 with $18 million.[/quote]

eventually you have a cut a man loose..how many years you think he has left??

[quote name='DJSteel']eventually you have a cut a man loose..how many years you think he has left??[/QUOTE]

He still can play. He is only 30 so he does have a few good years left. At the end of that contract he will be at the tail end of his career but to keep him in Chicago and happy I think it's a good price to pay.

Looks like a damn good deal for the Skins.

Local news (or it might have been ESPN) had a blurb from Taylor were he said he's now committed to playing out his contract and will play at least those two years.

If he did retire after one season and the Skins didn't improve enough to do any better than last year it would be a bit disappointing next offeason to think "Well Taylor is now gone and all we have to show for his stay is no 2nd round pick this year..."

[quote name='DomLando']He still can play. He is only 30 so he does have a few good years left. At the end of that contract he will be at the tail end of his career but to keep him in Chicago and happy I think it's a good price to pay.[/quote]

we'll see

[quote name='DomLando']He still can play. He is only 30 so he does have a few good years left. At the end of that contract he will be at the tail end of his career but to keep him in Chicago and happy I think it's a good price to pay.[/quote]

I'd just be concerned about his back problems coming back.

If the 49ers schedule wasn't such a bitch i'd be amped for this season...

Only upside is they have one of the best defensive players in the NFL.

[quote name='ph33r m3']If the 49ers schedule wasn't such a bitch i'd be amped for this season...

Only upside is they have one of the best defensive players in the NFL.[/QUOTE]

Patrick Willis? He could be a fluke just like KGB and Jevon Kearse.

As a Bears fan after last year I was really hoping Chicago would play hardball with Urlacher and if that meant losing him so be it. He has nowhere to go but down from here.

Weren't they saying last year that he might have back issues severe enough that he might have to retire? I would've offered him a huge, incentive laced contract. Give him the cash he wants as long as he proves he's healthy enough to earn it.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Patrick Willis? He could be a fluke just like KGB and Jevon Kearse.[/quote]

Patrick Willis ain't no fluke....in his first year he broke the NFL record in tackles in a season...watch this kid play...then you'll understand why Area 52 is so beasty.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Patrick Willis ain't no fluke....in his first year he broke the NFL record in tackles in a season...watch this kid play...then you'll understand why Area 52 is so beasty.[/QUOTE]

You just said it bro. 1 year he has played. Jevon Kearse also had a "Freak" season as well ;)

It also could of been that the 49er's had no type of offense so their Defense was on the field all game long. He also had no choice but to make tackles since no one else on their D is good, Besides Clements.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ph33r m3']If the 49ers schedule wasn't such a bitch i'd be amped for this season...

Only upside is they have one of the best defensive players in the NFL.[/QUOTE]

And you can't be amped because Alex Smith is still on the team.

You are right about Patrick Willis. pimpinc333, if you watched Willis play you would see how much of a talent he is and that last year was no way a fluke.

[quote name='DomLando']And you can't be amped because Alex Smith is still on the team.

You are right about Patrick Willis. pimpinc333, if you watched Willis play you would see how much of a talent he is and that last year was no way a fluke.[/quote]

Dude...check the last season thread...even before Shaun Hill came in...I was pumping him up...dude knows the game...doesn't have the strongest arm but he has "it"....

Funny enough the first jersey for the 49ers i've ever bought was recently...and that was Patrick Willis...this dude is no joke...60% of the world is covered by Water...the rest is covered by Patrick Willis.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Dude...check the last season thread...even before Shaun Hill came in...I was pumping him up...dude knows the game...doesn't have the strongest arm but he has "it"....

Funny enough the first jersey for the 49ers i've ever bought was recently...and that was Patrick Willis...this dude is no joke...60% of the world is covered by Water...the rest is covered by Patrick Willis.[/QUOTE]

I hope Hill wins the job, but I see Smith being the starter to start the season. I do not think Hill can lead us to the playoffs but anyone is better than Smith.

[quote name='DomLando']I hope Hill wins the job, but I see Smith being the starter to start the season. I do not think Hill can lead us to the playoffs but anyone is better than Smith.[/quote]

It's basically Smith's to lose....this team is in total dissaray....Nolan wants Hill....McCloughlan wants Smith....Martz wants O'Sullivan...

IMO either way Nolan is going to be fired and replaced with Martz..

Way to go Bears. Yeah, lets decide our starting QB by coin flip. Brilliant! I'm hoping Tampa Bay cuts Chris Simms soon and the Bears go after him.

[quote name='Chitown021']Way to go Bears. Yeah, lets decide our starting QB by coin flip. Brilliant! I'm hoping Tampa Bay cuts Chris Simms soon and the Bears go after him.[/quote]

The latest talk I heard was that it was Orton's job to lose. Basically, Rex would have to be spectacular and Orton would really have to screw up for Rex to get the job. Has something changed?

[quote name='primetime']The latest talk I heard was that it was Orton's job to lose. Basically, Rex would have to be spectacular and Orton would really have to screw up for Rex to get the job. Has something changed?[/QUOTE]

I think it is more of an open competition, which should be apparent by the coin toss. Rex will get reps with the first team one day and the next Orton. And they will keep switching off. I doubt this would be the case if Orton had the job all but secure.

[quote name='DomLando']I think it is more of an open competition, which should be apparent by the coin toss. Rex will get reps with the first team one day and the next Orton. And they will keep switching off. I doubt this would be the case if Orton had the job all but secure.[/quote]

That's what I was asking about because a couple days ago, word on the radio was that it was Orton's job to lose. That makes sense to me, but then again, we're talking about the Bears.

[quote name='DJSteel']Sweed and Mendenhall are signed... can't wait till the season starts..[/quote]

Solid. I have a feeling Sweed's gonna make a big impact this year.

Just as you think the bizarreness of the whole Favre vs Packers doesn't stop....

[quote name='ProFootballTalk.com']PACKERS HIRE ARI FLEISCHER
Posted by Mike Florio on August 3, 2008, 6:33 p.m.

As the most bizarre story we’ve ever seen continues to get more and more bizarre, now comes word that the Packers have hired former White House press secretary Ari Fleischer as a consultant, according to Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com.

Fleischer has been hired for a month.

He met with the team several days ago, in a session that was supposedly scheduled before the cheese hit the fan regarding the Favre situation.

The Packers would have been wise to hire Fleischer at least a month ago. And unless he has access to a time machine, it’s going to be very hard for him to undo the damage that the franchise has already done to its image and reputation with the bungling manner in which the present situation has been handled.

And here’s the bottom line — if the Packers were serious about welcoming Brett Favre back and making him the starter, why would they need a former White House press secretary to do damage control? Our guess is that this latest maneuver is proof positive the vodka-fueled chess match will continue, in the hopes of making the Packers look like the good guys and casting Favre as the villain.[/quote]

I would also be very interested in trying out a fantasy football league, as I have never done one before. It also looks lots of fun to use that Live Draft Tracker that EA put out to go along with Madden for the PS3/360.

Dammit...they made it official that he's being traded to the Jets.

If anything, he should have gone to TAMPA BAY. He's gonna get his ass kicked playing for New York, and Green Bay knows this. They know he'll have a much better chance in Tampa so they must trade him to the Jets, and Brett is desperate enough to sign off on the offer...everyone is going to regret this decision, nothing matches up, not even CLOSE.

If Aaron Rodgers gets injured or plays poorly, Green Bay will regret it, if Brett gets injured playing for the Jets, he'll regret it, and both situations look plausible >.>

It should've been Tampa Bay or bust, I don't care about Jeff Garcia ;)

This "solution" ruins both Green Bay and Favre :/

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, that's what Favre gets for being a little bitch about this whole thing. The last several years he's held the Packers hostage going back and forth between retiring and coming back. I hope he gets pounded playing for the Jets and it puts a black mark on his career.

As a Bears fan I hated him for destroying us on a yearly basis but at the same time I respected him because of the amazing things he was able to accomplish in his career. I lost a lot of respect for him after this whole mess.

Dude fuck both Farve and the Packers. They both acted like complete tool bags during this entire thing.

I dont blame the Packers...I just dont. Lets not forget that the whole farve will he wont he has been going on for years. He is like a ex girlfriend that simply wont go away even though you are trying to move on. They did try to douche him around a little and thats not cool but I understand.

Brett is a hall of fame and one of the greatest QB to ever play....but he is old as fuck. And you simply cant plan your future with the guy. After this one year he might retire for real this time then what do you do? Rogers would most likely leave for lacking for playing time and then the Packers would have nothing to work with. He his simply to up and down to plan around. And has good as he is he is still near the very end of his career.

I cant blame the packers for them simply wanting to move on past him and start planing for the future. There was a huge question mark at QB with or without Brett (with him your questions will be if he actually retires this year)

Brett needs to decide if he actually wants to play or wants to retire. But this flip flopping back and forth every year is bullshit and completely unprofessional. Even if he was pressured into retiring if he wanted to still play he should have asked for a trade then not wait until 2 days before training camp. Either play or dont.

When Jerry Rice was getting released he didnt make a huge crazy 2 month deal about it. He maned up found another team and moved on quick.

Brett knows that Green Bay was his team. So why hijack them for so many years?

Ah, the first game of the season and already the Browns have a spectacle going on around them. :) Hope I get to see more games than the 3 I already have tickets for.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Ah, the first game of the season and already the Browns have a spectacle going on around them. :) Hope I get to see more games than the 3 I already have tickets for.[/QUOTE]
Man, I wish they played Browns games on the west coast. :(

Watching the Chiefs - Bears here... I wonder what the over/under in Vegas is for the number of games Mike Brown will play this year for the Bears? That guy is a stud when he's healthy (which is a about 2 games per year).

[quote name='Chitown021']Watching the Chiefs - Bears here... I wonder what the over/under in Vegas is for the number of games Mike Brown will play this year for the Bears? That guy is a stud when he's healthy (which is a about 2 games per year).[/QUOTE]

Tough loss on that one. :/

So, think we should see about picking up Pennington?:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back