2009-2010 NBA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what does everyone think of Ricky Rubio simply face fucking the Timberwolves? They gave up 2 starters to get him and he plans on staying in Spain because the T wolves also signed Johnny Flyn and he didnt think he would get enough playing time.

I dont understand why the Wovles would draft Flyn when Rubio said he didnt care about the money as long as he got enough playing time. Your a disaster of a team that need help at almost all postions why put your star draftee in that sort of position.

[quote name='Soodmeg']So what does everyone think of Ricky Rubio simply face fucking the Timberwolves? They gave up 2 starters to get him and he plans on staying in Spain because the T wolves also signed Johnny Flyn and he didnt think he would get enough playing time.

I dont understand why the Wovles would draft Flyn when Rubio said he didnt care about the money as long as he got enough playing time. Your a disaster of a team that need help at almost all postions why put your star draftee in that sort of position.[/QUOTE]

The T-Wolves can sit on Rubio for a couple of years as he is a huge bargaining chip since, you know, it's not like staying in Spain is a bad thing. The Wolves know they are in the very early stages of rebuilding so they have lots of time to wait. Rubio can stay in Spain where he can further develop his skills and then come back to help the team or trade him for high value players. It's basically a win-win situation for the Wolves.

The two players the Wolves traded away were okay players at best (M. Miller - who actually hated playing there and wanted out) with one still having some potential. (R. Foye - I can't believe they traded B. Roy for him on draft day... fail) Although the Wolves took on some dead weight players, looking ahead, I still think they got the slightly better deal in that trade.

The Wizards on the other hand seems to be going all out on a final push with their three core players. Realistically, there is no way adding M. Miller and Foye will push the team over the top so I expect a full team fire sale excluding Arenas in the 2010-2011 season.

I didn't really watch many Lakers games last season, so I didn't see Shannon Brown play with them. That said, I can't believe that he played so well. When he was with the Cavs he'd dribble too much and either force up a bad shot or turn the ball over; every time he was put in the game.

Shannon Brown was really taking advantage of the few minutes he got in. He literally almost never missed a bucket and hit some momentum changing shots consistently.

I can't speak for his defensive abilities though since I don't really remember how he played then. I just remember him delivering every time he needed to and was grabbing like 10-12 points with 8-10 minutes on the courts. He also didn't make any stupid decisions or do anything you mentioned, oddly enough.

I'm curious as to why you'd want Farmar to be traded. I still got some faith in the guy, especially at how he handled starting for Fisher. It was one game but still, you never know.

If the Lakers are going to get rid of anyone.. it's got to be Vujacic. I hate that guy.

Lakers: 2009-2010 Champions.

Anyway, Kidd resigned with the Mavs at $25 million for 3 years. Holy crap, that's fucking bank for a 36 year old veteran.

[quote name='dafoomie']Sheed to the Celtics... Grant Hill might also sign, too. What an awesome bench that would be.[/QUOTE]
Then you know that Beantown is looking to win now instead of later. That would make 2 former Pistons be against them in the East on one of the teams that is their closest rival.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Soodmeg']So what does everyone think of Ricky Rubio simply face fucking the Timberwolves? They gave up 2 starters to get him and he plans on staying in Spain because the T wolves also signed Johnny Flyn and he didnt think he would get enough playing time.

I dont understand why the Wovles would draft Flyn when Rubio said he didnt care about the money as long as he got enough playing time. Your a disaster of a team that need help at almost all postions why put your star draftee in that sort of position.[/QUOTE]
The thing is about Rubio is that he has at least one more year before he comes to the NBA to work on his skills. He is only 18 and I rather him be better prepared than rush him into the lineup.

But no amount of Euro ball will get you prepared to come to the NBA. Euro is completely different from the NBA so the extra year wont actually do anything for him. Yeah, he could work on his jumpshot a little or offensive awareness a little but there simply will not be a huge jump in his talent level.

I understand that he is 18 but he is not like one of our 18 (American) the guy has been playing pro for most of his life already. There isnt much more he can learn from Euro ball.

The better option in my opinion was simply to come over and start getting used to NBA ball, the sooner the better. He can not be any more prepared to come over here, you are treating his situation like a American, he either has the skill to play in the NBA or he doesnt.

The Euro difference matters more for forwards and centers though with the different shaped lane, different goal tending rule etc.

Guards still have to dribble, pass, drive and shoot, so he can still get better over there.

Coming to the NBA is a mixed bag. If he plays well and gets a lot of minutes he would of course learn more. But if he's not ready and stinks it up then he may never get the minutes he needs to learn and improve. Though the Timberwolves are so bad, that's probably moot as they're going to lose regardless so they could likely just play him and let him learn.

[quote name='mis0']
Anyway, Kidd resigned with the Mavs at $25 million for 3 years. Holy crap, that's fucking bank for a 36 year old veteran.[/QUOTE]

Haha yeah, that was a huge relief for me since I'm a Knick fan ;). I guess the entire Knicks offer was just there to force Cuban's hand and overpay him.

--

Avery Johnson and the Pistons couldn't hammer out a deal supposedly. I guess the Pistons are still a bit cautious about hiring a coach for more than two years since they are still paying Flip Saunders' and Michael Curry's contracts.

[quote name='Soodmeg']But no amount of Euro ball will get you prepared to come to the NBA. Euro is completely different from the NBA so the extra year wont actually do anything for him. Yeah, he could work on his jumpshot a little or offensive awareness a little but there simply will not be a huge jump in his talent level.

I understand that he is 18 but he is not like one of our 18 (American) the guy has been playing pro for most of his life already. There isnt much more he can learn from Euro ball.

The better option in my opinion was simply to come over and start getting used to NBA ball, the sooner the better. He can not be any more prepared to come over here, you are treating his situation like a American, he either has the skill to play in the NBA or he doesnt.[/QUOTE]
I agree with moo in that we really don't know what he will end up like in the NBA. But, you do have a point about him learning the NBA game while here my only problem is that will the wolves rush his development cause of being who he is.

That is my problem with Dwight Howard coming straight to the NBA if he would have went to school for a few years he could have became a better all around center but he is garbage to me since he can't shoot at all and he can't create his own shot in the lane.

Dude, you are kidding me when you say Howard is garbage. Dont just say nonsense beacuse you dont like the guy. He averaged 20 points and 15 rebounds with 2 asst and a + 29.83 EFF rating (my new favorite rating ever!)

If I didnt already know you cdeener you would have just discredited yourself with that statement. Dwight would be more dangerous if he had a mid range jumper but so would Shaq and you can play that game with any player. Rasheed would be a monster if he wasnt so lazy, Shawn Bradley would have been a monster if he wasnt so weak, Yao would be the 5 best Center in history if he wasnt so injury prone. You can go on and on about what if's but the bottom line is that The NBA Does Not Develop Players.

This is another conversation but I for one think the whole, "Go to college for 1 year," is over rated as hell. You simply can not get that much better in 1 year talent wise. Yeah you can mature ok and any high level basketball is going to be beneficial to you but can you really say that Melo talent level is solely based on the 1 year he was in school?

You either have NBA level talent or you do not. The Tim Ducans of the world are very few and far in between. Howard wouldnt be any more than what he is now if he went to college.......other than poorer and who knows what team would have drafted him so he might not have had the experience of a NBA final.

And while I am on the subject what the fuck is up with Euros being allowed in the NBA at 18 but Americans cant?

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-31-79/NBA-Players-Need-College--Prove-It-.html

Howard's far from garbage, but he 100% needs to develop some offensive skills beyond dunking when open, and spinning and dunking/layup/drawing fouls. He really needs a hook shot or some other move so he can score over people.

But maybe he just doesn't have him in it and will just always be a banger and defensive stud. Which is fine, but if that's the case then Orlando needs a PF with a post up game.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Dude, you are kidding me when you say Howard is garbage. Dont just say nonsense beacuse you dont like the guy. He averaged 20 points and 15 rebounds with 2 asst and a + 29.83 EFF rating (my new favorite rating ever!)

If I didnt already know you cdeener you would have just discredited yourself with that statement. Dwight would be more dangerous if he had a mid range jumper but so would Shaq and you can play that game with any player. Rasheed would be a monster if he wasnt so lazy, Shawn Bradley would have been a monster if he wasnt so weak, Yao would be the 5 best Center in history if he wasnt so injury prone. You can go on and on about what if's but the bottom line is that The NBA Does Not Develop Players.

This is another conversation but I for one think the whole, "Go to college for 1 year," is over rated as hell. You simply can not get that much better in 1 year talent wise. Yeah you can mature ok and any high level basketball is going to be beneficial to you but can you really say that Melo talent level is solely based on the 1 year he was in school?

You either have NBA level talent or you do not. The Tim Ducans of the world are very few and far in between. Howard wouldnt be any more than what he is now if he went to college.......other than poorer and who knows what team would have drafted him so he might not have had the experience of a NBA final.

And while I am on the subject what the fuck is up with Euros being allowed in the NBA at 18 but Americans cant?

[/QUOTE]

Pwned..

96de66a18d2a8b002532062a03ac872b-getty-88620135ab001_ron_artest.jpg

[quote name='Nelo Ice']
96de66a18d2a8b002532062a03ac872b-getty-88620135ab001_ron_artest.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Nice to see Ron Artest and Kobe on the same team to win another championship... :D:D:D Definitely gives the Lakers more of a defense presence :applause:

[quote name='Dynasty1756']Nice to see Ron Artest and Kobe on the same team to win another championship... :D:D:D Definitely gives the Lakers more of a defense presence :applause:[/QUOTE]

We're going to need to hold on to LO too though.

[quote name='Nelo Ice']:rofl::rofl:danny ferry is a complete idiot signing varejo to that ridiculous 6 year $42 million contract[/QUOTE]

Are you kiddding me? That's a bargain. Over the six years of the contract, that comes out to only $0.15 a flop.

[quote name='mooshie78']Howard's far from garbage, but he 100% needs to develop some offensive skills beyond dunking when open, and spinning and dunking/layup/drawing fouls. He really needs a hook shot or some other move so he can score over people.

But maybe he just doesn't have him in it and will just always be a banger and defensive stud. Which is fine, but if that's the case then Orlando needs a PF with a post up game.[/QUOTE]
So basically what y'all are telling me is Howard will be another Ben Wallace instead of the next Garnett. That would be fine but he still needs to hit more free throws.

Soodmeg, when I say Howard is garbage it is offensive skills I'm talking about which we all know how good a defensive player he is but he has major problems on offense. He could have gained some of those if he had went to the right school but that is a mute point now. I just want him to be able to have mid range game which would put him closer to a Garnett or Duncun then being close to a Ben Wallace like he is now.

Soodmeg, the rule about entering the draft is so fucked up for American kids its crazy. You can't enter until one year after your graduating class but the only way you could get in at 18 is if you graduated at 17. Now, the sad part is you could dropout at 16 and get a G.E.D. then what would they do since that is equal to getting a High School Diploma?

[quote name='Nelo Ice']:rofl::rofl:danny ferry is a complete idiot signing varejo to that ridiculous 6 year $42 million contract[/QUOTE]

What makes it even better is that they had no interest in getting Shawn Marion. I am glad that the Mavs went out and acquired him along with Gortat. Damp is almost gone and Gortat showed at least some kind of skill while he played with the Magic. Maybe Damp will get pushed and have a decent season like he did last time he was up for a contract.

Dallas probably needs to make one or two more moves to be solid. SA and LA both upgraded big time and if they want to compete they probably need another solid bench player. Their starting five is going to be pretty sick though.

[quote name='cdeener']So basically what y'all are telling me is Howard will be another Ben Wallace instead of the next Garnett. That would be fine but he still needs to hit more free throws.
[/QUOTE]

Well, he's already better offensively than Ben Wallace--don't think he ever averaged 20 a season or had a 40 point game etc. And he did make around 70% of his free throws in the playoffs...

But he does frustrate me at time. You can't bitch about not getting touches late in games when you can't do much other than dunk and layup. Develop a hook shot or turn around, and he can have more touches. He's never going to have a midrange game like Duncan or Garnett. But he can at least have a baby hook etc. like Shaq and be able to score over people.

And he may well, he's only 23 so he has a lot of time to develop. He needs to put in a lot of work with Ewing this offseason.

Yeah, I would love for Howard to have a jumpshot but saying that he is closer to Ben Wallace is still rubbish. Ben wallace refuses to even shoot a ball because his offensive is so lacking. I think you just have something against the guy so you are over looking his talent.

If anything he would be closer to Shaq in his prime.....which no matter what anyone says is a good thing, Shaq still cant hit a shot outside of 10ft, although he does have more offensive moves than Howard. You are acting like if he doesnt play the way you want him to then he is bad but that is clearly not the case. Even with his faults he is still a top 5 Center who can get you 20 and 15 a game and be a defensive powerhouse.

Believe me, I understand what you are saying but KG, Tim Ducan and Dirk's of the world are the exceptions not the rule. I think you are forgetting that Centers arent really suppose to be able to shoot jumpers from 20. Howard is a pure Center which means he is going to keep his ass next to the goal and block and dunk like the thousands of centers that came before him. You cant knock him because he isnt a freak hybrid like KG or Timmy. What he does, he does better than virtually every other center in the league and you simply cant take away from that because he is lacking in other areas. I agree more with Moo who seems to just want him to work on low post moves....which is a legit statement. He does need a low post hook, or turn around but asking him to shoot outside jumpers is a little much for virtually no reason.

Again, if you wanted to play the "he should develop a ...." game then every player in the league turns into a bum.

All I am saying.

[quote name='cdeener']So basically what y'all are telling me is Howard will be another Ben Wallace instead of the next Garnett. That would be fine but he still needs to hit more free throws.

Soodmeg, when I say Howard is garbage it is offensive skills I'm talking about which we all know how good a defensive player he is but he has major problems on offense. He could have gained some of those if he had went to the right school but that is a mute point now. I just want him to be able to have mid range game which would put him closer to a Garnett or Duncun then being close to a Ben Wallace like he is now.

[/QUOTE]

I would say he's closer to a Mutombo in his early years then Ben Wallace, sheesh, cmon now. I also disagree that school would have helped him, he probably would have just dunked on everyone like he does now, just like Shaq did when he first came out, it took him a little while to develop some moves. Give him some time, he's only 23. The free throw thing is pretty much irrelevant, as pretty much no center shoots free throws well at all.

[quote name='dafoomie']http://gary-parrish.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/15942689

Bron Bron got dunked on by a college player, Nike destroyed the evidence.

Not my picture, and obviously a photoshop but its still funny.
image2ada.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I love the photo. Lebron looks more ridiculous as the days go by.

Cavs deal for Varejo is just plain silly.

As for Howard, no center can guard him one on one in the NBA. Like mooshie said before, Ben Wallace hasn't averaged more than 2-4 pts/gm. Howard's 20.3 pts/game average trumphs most centers.

At least we got some money for Turkoglu leaving.

There's a rumor going around that there may be a 3 team trade between Portland, Utah, and Chicago which would see Tyrus Thomas going to Utah, Kirk Hinrich going to Portland, and Carlos Boozer coming to the Bulls. While I like Hinrich and Thomas, I think the deal would be a good one if Boozer plans to stick around for a few years. The Bulls could have a starting lineup of Rose-Salmons-Deng-Boozer-Noah.

I know Dwight will eventually turn it around. I just like Garnetts and Duncuns of the world who show that a big man can actually create his own shot. Pau Gasol is a prime example of what a little offense can do when you have a good defense presense to go with it.

[quote name='Matt Young']There's a rumor going around that there may be a 3 team trade between Portland, Utah, and Chicago which would see Tyrus Thomas going to Utah, Kirk Hinrich going to Portland, and Carlos Boozer coming to the Bulls. While I like Hinrich and Thomas, I think the deal would be a good one if Boozer plans to stick around for a few years. The Bulls could have a starting lineup of Rose-Salmons-Deng-Boozer-Noah.[/QUOTE]

My friend and I were just talking about this, we would literally be running the entire time because no one in that lineup really plays good defense.:)

Glad the Magic got Bass. Gives them a much needed power forward.

Seems like there's a decent chance they'll get Theo Ratliff as Howard's back up as well per some rumors floating around.

I guess 6-7 minutes per game and 1 million dollars mean more to Grant Hill than a ring. Good luck in Phoenix on a team thats dismantling itself.

[quote name='dafoomie']I guess 6-7 minutes per game and 1 million dollars mean more to Grant Hill than a ring. Good luck in Phoenix on a team thats dismantling itself.[/QUOTE]

Maybe he likes playing/living in Phoenix..?

[quote name='mis0']Maybe he likes playing/living in Phoenix..?[/QUOTE]
Why do all the free agent visits with teams at all then?

Even if that were so, he's taking that over a legit shot at a ring. If a ring isn't that important to him then thank god he's not here.

Yeah, at his age I'm surprised he turned down a chance to go to a contender.

But who knows, maybe his family really didn't want to move or something. Could also just be the money.

He showed he cared a lot about that when he left Orlando for Phoenix for more money, after Orlando had pissed away over $100 million on him over 7 years when he was hurt the majority of the time.

Reports said that his wife was nudging him to leave to NY...

Maybe he loves the Suns training staff! I mean, he doesn't get injured anymore!

Magic matched the Mavs offer and will keep Gortat.

That's good news and has the inside pretty well covered with Howard, Gortat and Bass.

[quote name='mooshie78']Magic matched the Mavs offer and will keep Gortat.

That's good news and has the inside pretty well covered with Howard, Gortat and Bass.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was a little bit surprised by that. The Magic sure are spending the big bucks this off-season.

Sucks for the Mavs. They're stuck with Dampier unless they can pick up some help. Maybe Drew Gooden?

Well, my Pistons made a cap move yesterday by trading Aaron Afflalo & Walter Sharpe to Denver for a Draft Pick and cash considerations. I liked Afflalo so I'm sad to see him go but after getting Gordon I knew they were going to have to get rid of somoeone.

[quote name='mooshie78']Magic matched the Mavs offer and will keep Gortat.

That's good news and has the inside pretty well covered with Howard, Gortat and Bass.[/QUOTE]

I am glad we ended up keeping him. It tough to see so much money go to a backup though. You can add Anderson to that list... he looked fairly good during the Orlando Pro Summer League. I think we are pretty solid now with our PF.

What is going to happen to Allen Iverson? I thought the Grizz should have offered but now his agent is talking about the Clippers?

[quote name='mis0']A.I "talking" with the Clippers. HMMMMM...[/QUOTE]

interesting indeed... would be funny to see AI in a Clippers uniform :cool:

Yea, but from the sound of things, it seems LA put out a great offer for Odom but instead his Agent is demanding an AMAZING contract. So far Odom has come off as a very humble person, but if he's going to allow this to happen, than obviously he isn't quite compromising as he said he would be.

As for Ariza, they either gave him the offer the could, but he bounced with his Agent doing all the talking; Lakers made the offer in a way so as to perturb Ariza and purposely make the Ariza/Artest trade; Or I don't know.

Lakers called Odom's bluff and retracted the offer. I guess they are letting him walk now.

Losing Ariza and Odom will be a huge hit to the Lakers.

[quote name='lordopus99']Lakers called Odom's bluff and retracted the offer. I guess they are letting him walk now.

Losing Ariza and Odom will be a huge hit to the Lakers.[/QUOTE]

huge hit indeed! Im really going to miss Odom's performance as a Lakers off the bench

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back