2009-2010 NBA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='wildcpac']Damn you Thunder! I cannot stand the most over rated coach in the history of sports winning.[/QUOTE]

Everyone here knows how much I hate the Lakers but come on now. He has 10 championships....how could he be over rated. Even if you say that he is always gifted with superstar players he still has a system that even the most ego maniac buy into.

Lakers look bad though, for all the talent they have they are still relying on Kobe to bail them out entirely too much. The only other person on the team that is carrying his weight is Gasol. Artest offense is non exisent, Fisher is spotty, Odem can come and go, Bynum look exactly like a guy who hasnt played in months

On the other hand the west teams are not looking as good as I thought.

That Thunder game was fantastic. The thunder should be really happy with their play and hopeful for the future. My take on what will improve them? Trade that bum ass Jeff Green for a real PF. That guy is a black hole of talent. He is a hybrid of everything but not enough of one thing to be effective. They need a true big man that Westbrook and Durant can go down low too.

That is such a cop out answer, of course he wasnt brought in for his offense but that doesnt mean you expect a guy who normally averages anywhere from 17-25 points a game for the last 5 years to only average 6 in the play offs.

Especially when they are....hell I will say it....struggling to beat the most inexperienced team in the league led by a 21 year old kid. The thunder are a horrid team with the only real bright spots Durant and Westbrook vs the defending champs led by the top 3 player in the league with a cast of quality players around them.

Its the Lakers vs the damn thunder here.

[quote name='kube00']The thing is the slim chance the Thunder would win....they won't last long in the playoffs[/QUOTE]

Exactly, The fact that the thunder are making it clos in these games should worry the hell out of Lakers fans. Its the thunder for shits sake. Can anyone here even name more than 5 players outside of Durant, Green, Westbrook? (off hand no internet cheating)

[quote name='Drclaw411']But all SG/SFs should be deadly from 3[/QUOTE]

Luol Deng would disagree.

But that is beside the point. The point is that Artest averages 17-25 points a season making him a legit offensive player. Just because he is known more for his defense doesnt mean you dismiss the fact that he hasnt scored at all. Its not like he isnt trying, he puts up a decent amount of shots during the game....he is just isnt hitting.

That reminds me, do you think if the Heat lose this series it will be the straw that breaks the camels back for D-Wade? You can seriously see the frustration in Wade as he watches yet another heat member miss a shot after he is double,triple and hit before he makes the pass.

The Heat have done the shittiest job of any other team to keep their high value player. Other than personal reasons I dont see a single reason why Wade should stay. Who can he look to build around? Carlos? O'neal? Haslem? Beasly.....his game is has bipolar has he is.

D-wade should be the first big FA to leave his team.

[quote name='Soodmeg']That reminds me, do you think if the Heat lose this series it will be the straw that breaks the camels back for D-Wade? You can seriously see the frustration in Wade as he watches yet another heat member miss a shot after he is double,triple and hit before he makes the pass.

The Heat have done the shittiest job of any other team to keep their high value player. Other than personal reasons I dont see a single reason why Wade should stay. Who can he look to build around? Carlos? O'neal? Haslem? Beasly.....his game is has bipolar has he is.

D-wade should be the first big FA to leave his team.[/QUOTE]

I think you're right, but that isn't fair to the Miami organization. I know he doesn't have the best supporting class, but at the same time if he wants to be part of the LeBronKobe group, then he should be able to not lose to the average Boston Celtics, let alone get blown out by them.

That's not really fair.

Kobe's teams didn't do great after Shaq left until the got a better cast around him. The Cav's haven't won a title yet even with James. So it's not like either of those players were winning series on their own against good teams with regularity. And their supporting casts in past years were stronger than Wade's the past couple of years.

And the Celtics are a good team, not an average team, when their big 3 are all healthy.

Did anyone else see Stan Van ripping the schedule for down time? I think he is absolutely right. 2 and 3 days off between games is absurd. The NBA playoffs takes 2.5 months to complete. Its ridiculous: no back to backs and most every others only on weekends. I understand the necessity of big TV money for the league but I doubt the numbers are that much better on Friday night on compared to a Thursday night.
Sorry I had to vent but we are less than a week in and things are already dragging.

[quote name='bigtymer']Did anyone else see Stan Van ripping the schedule for down time? I think he is absolutely right. 2 and 3 days off between games is absurd. The NBA playoffs takes 2.5 months to complete. Its ridiculous: no back to backs and most every others only on weekends. I understand the necessity of big TV money for the league but I doubt the numbers are that much better on Friday night on compared to a Thursday night.
Sorry I had to vent but we are less than a week in and things are already dragging.[/QUOTE]

No doubt, the playoffs drag on waaay too long. The first two rounds need to be 5 games IMO, or go back to 3,5,7,7. That's really the only way other than making teams play games every other night.

I think the Thunder are a helluva good team, if they can get a low post scorer... watchout league. Ibaka had 7! blocked shots last night, 7! Durant and Westbrook may shoulder most, if not all, of the offensive load, but make no mistake they can win games. They only lost by 3 last night.

They're gonna be a team to try and avoid in the playoffs for years to come and Soodmeg I think if they had a low post presence, Green would fit in much better than he currently does.

Yeah, all the layoffs make the NBA playoffs ridiculously long.

So I agree with him 100%. Play back to back in a city, then have 1 or 2 off for travel, then back to back in the other city.

[quote name='Soodmeg']That reminds me, do you think if the Heat lose this series it will be the straw that breaks the camels back for D-Wade? You can seriously see the frustration in Wade as he watches yet another heat member miss a shot after he is double,triple and hit before he makes the pass.

D-wade should be the first big FA to leave his team.[/QUOTE]

I'd love to see Bosh and Wade together on a team, anywhere. It's too bad Miami has completely imploded since winning the championship. Wade really has zero reason to stay there other than enjoying living there.

[quote name='Drclaw411']I think you're right, but that isn't fair to the Miami organization. I know he doesn't have the best supporting class, but at the same time if he wants to be part of the LeBronKobe group, then he should be able to not lose to the average Boston Celtics, let alone get blown out by them.[/QUOTE]

Please, it's a testament to Wade's ability that they're in the playoffs at all. That team would get its ass kicked by the Nets without Wade. Losing to a clearly superior team is no shame. And yes, Boston is easily much better, even with the problems they've had this season.

[quote name='thamaster24']No doubt, the playoffs drag on waaay too long. The first two rounds need to be 5 games IMO, or go back to 3,5,7,7. That's really the only way other than making teams play games every other night.

I think the Thunder are a helluva good team, if they can get a low post scorer... watchout league. Ibaka had 7! blocked shots last night, 7! Durant and Westbrook may shoulder most, if not all, of the offensive load, but make no mistake they can win games. They only lost by 3 last night.

They're gonna be a team to try and avoid in the playoffs for years to come and Soodmeg I think if they had a low post presence, Green would fit in much better than he currently does.[/QUOTE]

I would be completely in favor of a 3,5,7,7, format. It speed things up nicely, provide for the occasional upset in the early rounds, and generally not waste time.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love the team OKC has built. If they can keep it together, they'll be scary good for several years.

Who do you guys consider the most dominant player of the decade? My pick would be Shaq because teams had to use new strategies against him aka hack a shaq. Kind of like the Jordan rules when he was still playing.

[quote name='Tony208']Who do you guys consider the most dominant player of the decade? My pick would be Shaq because teams had to use new strategies against him aka hack a shaq. Kind of like the Jordan rules when he was still playing.[/QUOTE]

I think the fact that for a while in fantasy basketball they had to cripple his point output so drafting him wasn't an auto win is good evidence. The only issue is he hasn't produced as well at the end of the decade. He was more strong 95-2005 so for this decade i would have to go with either Duncan or even though it is hard for me to say this Kobe

[quote name='dafoomie']44-8 run by the Celtics, incredible.[/QUOTE]

They had runs of 21-0 and 18-0.

Celtics average? Celtics are a good team. Celtics are also one of the top 4 when they're playing well. The Celtics can stand against the Cavs, the Lakers, the Magic when Celts and those teams are both playing well. The problem is the Celtics have not played at the top of their game enough or very often. Doesn't help with the injuries they've had either and Ray Allen's slump. They just haven't played well, they definitely have the talent.

The refs gave that game to the Lakers last night at the end. Calling non-fouls on OKC and not calling real fouls by the Lakers. I'm sick of the refs catering to both teams and players for ratings.

I'd be down for a 5/5/7/7 as opposed to the 3/5/7/7 format because 3 games in the first round is a bit unexciting. The NBA won't probably revert back to their old ways though because I'm guessing they make some serious bank promoting the playoffs and finals.

As for the most dominant player of the decade--as in the past 10 years--I'm going to have to go with Kobe with Duncan following a close second. I say Kobe > Timmy because right now, Duncan can't single-handedly turnaround a game like Kobe still can.

LeBron didn't join the league until a few years in last decade so it wouldn't be correct to count him in there but I say he owns the league for the next 10 years (to my displeasure) with The Durantula right on his tail.

[quote name='Tony208']Who do you guys consider the most dominant player of the decade? My pick would be Shaq because teams had to use new strategies against him aka hack a shaq. Kind of like the Jordan rules when he was still playing.[/QUOTE]

Lebron James. No one can stop him; they can only try to contain him. Proof in pudding: Game 2 dropped 40 points on 69% shooting, 8 boards, 8 assists, 2 blocks. For those doubters, he has been in the league since 2003-2004 season.

This is the type of question that I really like. The answer will weed out the casual NBA fan from the Real NBA fan.

Case in point....Lordopuss with his instant LeBron James answer with his prove being a 2010 game 2 play off game against a lame Bulls team.

There are so many players that have dominated in different ways throughout the decade that casual fans wouldnt even think about. The main thing is you have to separate dominate with scoring. Scoring points is one thing but complete dominance is another. Lebron could also score but he didnt start become dominate until recently, with his blocking, passing and rebounding finally taking a part of his game.

For example, Jason Kidd. For most of the decade (back when he had the legs to take jump shots) he was unstoppable on both ends of the floor. He could check any guard no matter how tall in the league and consistently burned people for jumpshots AND assists. Yeah, he might not of put up crazy point totals but he himself would lead to 40% of all point totals for his team.

Shaq....if you need a reason you have no clue about basketball. 4 championships, and when the league changes rules to stop you then you know you are a step above dominate.

Lets not forgot about Dirk, there isnt a guy in the league that can guard him. Too fast with too good a shot for big men, too tall for shorter players. Best touch for a big man and can score from anywhere on the court. I have watch him kill your favorite player for the last ten years.

Kobe of course needs to be this as well.

Also, put your Boston hate aside. Kevin Garnet has been consistently one of the best Big men not named Shaq of our generation. Averaged 20, 10 and 5 for six years straight. The only other person to due that was Larry Legend Bird.

But to answer the question my answer is Timmy! 3(or 4??) championships, and there has never been a year including his rookie that he didnt average a double double. He cant be stopped on either block or face up. Has the best footwork and jump shot of a pure 7fter (as everyone not named Dirk) monster on the boards, Killer on defense, court vision to pass out of any double team and he shoots close to 50% for his career. Plus he has been guarded by the best Big Men the league has to offer and he still rips it every season.

I really dont see how you can make a case for anyone other than Timmy.

EDIT: Also, this deserves to be mentioned also. Tim Ducan is one of the few super superstars that hasnt raped, killed, punched a strippers, picked up a stripper, punched a puppy with a kitten while choking a stripper, choked a coach with a stripper while punching a puppy, etc etc. The dude is just a cool ass guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Soodmeg']This is the type of question that I really like. The answer will weed out the casual NBA fan from the Real NBA fan.

Case in point....Lordopuss with his instant LeBron James answer with his prove being a 2010 game 2 play off game against a lame Bulls team.

There are so many players that have dominated in different ways throughout the decade that casual fans wouldnt even think about. The main thing is you have to separate dominate with scoring. Scoring points is one thing but complete dominance is another. Lebron could also score but he didnt start become dominate until recently, with his blocking, passing and rebounding finally taking a part of his game.

For example, Jason Kidd. For most of the decade (back when he had the legs to take jump shots) he was unstoppable on both ends of the floor. He could check any guard no matter how tall in the league and consistently burned people for jumpshots AND assists. Yeah, he might not of put up crazy point totals but he himself would lead to 40% of all point totals for his team.

Shaq....if you need a reason you have no clue about basketball. 4 championships, and when the league changes rules to stop you then you know you are a step above dominate.

Lets not forgot about Dirk, there isnt a guy in the league that can guard him. Too fast with too good a shot for big men, too tall for shorter players. Best touch for a big man and can score from anywhere on the court. I have watch him kill your favorite player for the last ten years.

Kobe of course needs to be this as well.

Also, put your Boston hate aside. Kevin Garnet has been consistently one of the best Big men not named Shaq of our generation. Averaged 20, 10 and 5 for six years straight. The only other person to due that was Larry Legend Bird.

But to answer the question my answer is Timmy! 3(or 4??) championships, and there has never been a year including his rookie that he didnt average a double double. He cant be stopped on either block or face up. Has the best footwork and jump shot of a pure 7fter (as everyone not named Dirk) monster on the boards, Killer on defense, court vision to pass out of any double team and he shoots close to 50% for his career. Plus he has been guarded by the best Big Men the league has to offer and he still rips it every season.

I really dont see how you can make a case for anyone other than Timmy.

EDIT: Also, this deserves to be mentioned also. Tim Ducan is one of the few super superstars that hasnt raped, killed, punched a strippers, picked up a stripper, punched a puppy with a kitten while choking a stripper, choked a coach with a stripper while punching a puppy, etc etc. The dude is just a cool ass guy.[/QUOTE]

I am going to say Tim Duncan simply because he isn't an ass.

[quote name='Soodmeg']This is the type of question that I really like. The answer will weed out the casual NBA fan from the Real NBA fan.

[/QUOTE]

Far from a casual fan. Let me throw down numbers yearly averages plus the fact that until this year he played with complete scrubs unlike TIMMY, who has played with the likes of David Robinson, Tony Parker, Manu, Michael Finley, and the list goes on for most of his career.
2009-10: 29.7 pts, 8.6 assists, 7.3 boards, 1.6 steals, 1 block
2008-09: 28.4 pts, 7.3 assists, 7.6 boards, 1.7 steals, 1.2 block
2007-08: 30 pts, 7.2 assists, 7.9 boards, 1.8 steals, 1.1 block
2006-07: 27.3 pts, 6 assists, 6.8 boards, 1.6 steals, 0.7 blocks
2005-06: 31.4 pts, 6.6 assists, 7 boards, 1.6 steals, 0.8 blocks
2004-05: 27.2 pts, 7.2 assists, 7.4 boards, 2.2 steals, 0.7 blocks
He averages almost 50% shooting over those years... So to recap... Lebron practically averages close to a triple double a game over seven seasons... :roll: The reason he posts things like this is because he is built like a SF yet plays like a point guard with a huge defensive presense.

My honorable mention would have been Steve Nash. TIMMY is pretty high on my list as well but like I said no one is above Lebron during this decade as well as next decade.

I'd probably go with Duncan as well. Can't argue with his stats or success.

LeBron has put up big numbers, but I can call someone most dominant without a title even if they lacked the supporting cast.

Shaq would be up there as well, but tailing off the latter half of the decade as he got older hurts him. He was most dominate from say the mid to late 90's through the first half of this past decade though.

Kind of interesting you throw Dirk in the conversation Sood. Stat wise he is there but it seems like he has never quite put it all together in the playoffs. Granted in the finals versus Miami they got hosed by the refs a bit. I dunno Dirk was taken one pick ahead of Pierce in the draft and I'm happy that we got Paul. Because two years ago Pierce was IMO the biggest reason we got a title. He did about as good of a job checking Lebron as is possible and outplayed Kobe to get the finals MVP. Not his fault he had a shoddy supporting cast most of the decade and I give him props for not forcing a trade. So I think he deserves an honorable mention. Also to debunk Nash you can't be on this list if you are a defensive liablity.

The dude asked who the most dominant player was of the past decade--as in the past 10 years--2000 to 2010.

Soodmeg threw out some good candidates but most of them fell off the radar as DOMINANT with all the new youngsters joining up in the league. The one player that has stood the test of time is KOBE because even in 2010, he's still carrying his team to wins. As I mentioned earlier, Duncan would be next in line, but if you watch him play now and he's lost a couple of steps to his game.

Queen James should not be in this discussion because he has not played in the NBA since the start of the decade. He'll easily be in the running for the most dominant player in the next decade, along with Durant, Howard, etc.. but the fact stands that James was only dominating non-NBA level players when the OG stars of this generation were tearing it up

[quote name='lordopus99']Far from a casual fan. Let me throw down numbers yearly averages plus the fact that until this year he played with complete scrubs unlike TIMMY, who has played with the likes of David Robinson, Tony Parker, Manu, Michael Finley, and the list goes on for most of his career.
2009-10: 29.7 pts, 8.6 assists, 7.3 boards, 1.6 steals, 1 block
2008-09: 28.4 pts, 7.3 assists, 7.6 boards, 1.7 steals, 1.2 block
2007-08: 30 pts, 7.2 assists, 7.9 boards, 1.8 steals, 1.1 block
2006-07: 27.3 pts, 6 assists, 6.8 boards, 1.6 steals, 0.7 blocks
2005-06: 31.4 pts, 6.6 assists, 7 boards, 1.6 steals, 0.8 blocks
2004-05: 27.2 pts, 7.2 assists, 7.4 boards, 2.2 steals, 0.7 blocks
He averages almost 50% shooting over those years... So to recap... Lebron practically averages close to a triple double a game over seven seasons... :roll: The reason he posts things like this is because he is built like a SF yet plays like a point guard with a huge defensive presense.

My honorable mention would have been Steve Nash. TIMMY is pretty high on my list as well but like I said no one is above Lebron during this decade as well as next decade.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to throw it out there and say that LeBron's numbers are inflated because he played with scrubs most of his career.

[quote name='docvinh']I'm going to throw it out there and say that LeBron's numbers are inflated because he played with scrubs most of his career.[/QUOTE]

Playing with scrubs doesn't really factor. Sure his teams weren't so good, but that doesn't change what he did. That said, the fact that Lebron wasn't drafted until '03 and played suspect defense his first few years in the league makes it obvious that he's only been "dominant" for the last half of the decade.

Let's be honest; Lebron can't truly be in the conversation for two combined reasons: He wasn't playing until pretty much halfway through the decade, and his first couple seasons teams were more than willing to let him shoot from outside since he couldn't shoot yet. That's a pretty glaring weakness for a dominant player. He's pretty much fixed that issue now, but even if we give him the last three years, that's not enough for the decade's honors.

I think to give someone the call, they'd have to have been at peak abilities for at least seven seasons in the decade. For example, Shaq's abilities were clearly on a decline even during the Miami Heat run. Dwayne Wade won that championship. The last half of the decade for Shaq has been much less than dominant, so I would have a hard time giving it to him.

With that said, I think my list would come down to a handful of players who had a complete package of offense and defense for the majority of the decade:

• Tim Duncan
  • Kobe Bryant
  • Kevin Garnett
Dirk struggled with spelling, let alone playing, defense for quite a few years, so I can't see him in the list. Nash would give up 50 points to most high school j.v. players, so he's out. As much as I love Jason Kidd, I think most teams would have willingly let him try to shoot his teams to wins for most of the decade (where the hell did his three-point shooting this season come from?).

[quote name='Filbert']Playing with scrubs doesn't really factor. Sure his teams weren't so good, but that doesn't change what he did. That said, the fact that Lebron wasn't drafted until '03 and played suspect defense his first few years in the league makes it obvious that he's only been "dominant" for the last half of the decade.[/QUOTE]

What he said. And judging by his avatar, he's a Cav's fan so he probably has had the opportunity to watch LeBron quite a bit (a real "witness"...lol sorry, i had to). I really think it's got to be Tim Duncan.

I don't know what got into Kirk Hinrich, but he was the reason Chicago won game three. Also, has Rose been hitting that awkward "push" shot all year? Every time he let that fly I thought it would miss, until I was proven otherwise.

[quote name='Filbert']I don't know what got into Kirk Hinrich, but he was the reason Chicago won game three. Also, has Rose been hitting that awkward "push" shot all year? Every time he let that fly I thought it would miss, until I was proven otherwise.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, he's really been hitting that his entire career. He used it last year when he didn't have a jumpshot. This year he likes to use it as kind of a run stopper when the other team gets momentum, and as a bailout shot. I don't know if he developed it for the NBA or if he had it in college because I didn't really watch Memphis, but it's been really really effective for him. To be honest, i'm not sure if i've ever even seen any other player take that shot the way he does, but he really does make it more often than not.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Let's be honest; Lebron can't truly be in the conversation for two combined reasons: He wasn't playing until pretty much halfway through the decade, and his first couple seasons teams were more than willing to let him shoot from outside since he couldn't shoot yet. That's a pretty glaring weakness for a dominant player. He's pretty much fixed that issue now, but even if we give him the last three years, that's not enough for the decade's honors.

I think to give someone the call, they'd have to have been at peak abilities for at least seven seasons in the decade. For example, Shaq's abilities were clearly on a decline even during the Miami Heat run. Dwayne Wade won that championship. The last half of the decade for Shaq has been much less than dominant, so I would have a hard time giving it to him.
[/QUOTE]

He meets both criteria you stated so he should be in discussion. 1) He has played in the NBA for 7 seasons and 2) outside of 1st year, he has been dominate (even though he played really well for a "freshman").

I personally feel most of you just try to write him off because you guys all hate that he helps his team beat yours. You all are sick of Kobe/Lebron puppets, "we are all witnesses" commercials, and chalk claps/photo ops. Don't let those take away of what he has done.
***Note I am far from bias... I watched him last year almost beat my team (Magic) in the playoffs by himself.***

What I really liked from the Bulls tonight was their defense, as well as the fact that Deng and Hinrich were much better for them tonight. You're going to get production from Rose and Noah every night, but they really need consistent good production out of Hinrich and Deng, and both players did well tonight. And as I said, I feel the Bulls played very good defense tonight as a whole, for the most part.

That being said, they need to do a much better job of closing the game out. They allowed nearly 40 points in the 4th, and it really seemed like the majority came in the second half of the fourth. They need to play better defense at the end. They seemed to do a good job of keeping LeBron and Jamison from scoring in the paint late in the 4th, but they gave up too many threes. Maybe that was the gameplan though, pick your poison. Still they need to find a way to close out games better because if this game is played in Cleveland, they probably don't get the win.

Glad they're getting themselves back in the series. I really didn't want a sweep, being the random playoff team that gets swept in round one then sucks and/or misses the playoffs for who knows how long (couch*grizzlies*cough*pistons*cough), and for the younger players it's always good to have as many playoff games under their belts as possible, and they played pretty well to keep themselves alive. Nobody wants to face a 3-0, in fact im pretty sure nobody in the NBA playoffs have ever come back from 3-0 to win the series.

Also, little bit of a side note, obviously Mike Brown knows his players better than I do, but I wonder why he didn't play O'Neal or Illgauskas late when know had 5 fouls, to try to get him out of the game.

[quote name='lordopus99']He meets both criteria you stated so he should be in discussion. 1) He has played in the NBA for 7 seasons and 2) outside of 1st year, he has been dominate (even though he played really well for a "freshman").

I personally feel most of you just try to write him off because you guys all hate that he helps his team beat yours. You all are sick of Kobe/Lebron puppets, "we are all witnesses" commercials, and chalk claps/photo ops. Don't let those take away of what he has done.
***Note I am far from bias... I watched him last year almost beat my team (Magic) in the playoffs by himself.***[/QUOTE]

I don't write him off. I will admit he's the most unstoppable player in the league right now. But his suspect jumpshot and merely adequate defense his first couple years leaves him a bit under the span of true dominance I laid out. His last three years? He's been absolutely dominant.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']I don't write him off. I will admit he's the most unstoppable player in the league right now. But his suspect jumpshot and merely adequate defense his first couple years leaves him a bit under the span of true dominance I laid out. His last three years? He's been absolutely dominant.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

And I don't hate him at all, I like watching him play. If the Magic can't win it all, I'd pull for him and the Cavs to win it.

But he missed 3 years of the decade, and has only been truly dominant the last 3 or so when his jump shot and defense have really stepped up, so I'd at best put him third for the 2000-2009 decade behind Duncan and Kobe.

Kobe is doing what he can to shoot the Lakers out of this game.

Edit: Well, the Thunder put together a great game and the Lakers again forgot where they had a huge advantage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stats say kobe went a total 14 of 40 shots....WTF

Closest player in shot attempts is Artest at 15...

Big difference were the fouls tho, 12 Laker FTA's to OKC's 34 FTA's

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Let's be honest; Lebron can't truly be in the conversation for two combined reasons: He wasn't playing until pretty much halfway through the decade, and his first couple seasons teams were more than willing to let him shoot from outside since he couldn't shoot yet. That's a pretty glaring weakness for a dominant player. He's pretty much fixed that issue now, but even if we give him the last three years, that's not enough for the decade's honors.

With that said, I think my list would come down to a handful of players who had a complete package of offense and defense for the majority of the decade:

• Tim Duncan
  • Kobe Bryant
  • Kevin Garnett
Dirk struggled with spelling, let alone playing, defense for quite a few years, so I can't see him in the list. Nash would give up 50 points to most high school j.v. players, so he's out. As much as I love Jason Kidd, I think most teams would have willingly let him try to shoot his teams to wins for most of the decade (where the hell did his three-point shooting this season come from?).[/QUOTE]

Kidd has always been a solid spot up three point shooter; it wasn't until he was traded back to Dallas that he was able to play off the ball and take more of his favored shots. Had he done this for half a season I'd write it off as small sample size, but he's been well over 40% for 200 games now.

Kobe's defense has been vastly overrated for nearly his entire career; in his first three post-Shaq seasons he was actually below league average in DRtg. He was so bad in 04-05 that he tied Steve f'n Nash with a 111 mark. When Bynum emerged, and the Lakers traded for Gasol, his DRtg returned to slightly above league average. His defensive reputation is based off his 1999-2000 season, which was objectively awesome in its ballhawking greatness.

Dirk's first five seasons of the 2000s, steals | blocks | DRtg (league average tends to fall between 106 and 107):

2000-01: 1.0, 1.2, 100
2001-02: 1.1, 1.0, 104
2002-03: 1.4, 1.0, 98
2003-04: 1.2, 1.4, 104
2004-05: 1.2, 1.5, 100

Dude's played defense for a long time. His awkward stride and lack of lateral quickness makes him look like a poor defender; he's the anti-Kobe in this regard.

With all that said, here's my personal top 5 for the 2000s:

1. Tim Duncan
2. Kevin Garnett - last two years have lessened his hold on this spot
3. Dirk Nowitzki
4. Kobe Bryant - as much as I rip on the guy, he's been a top 15 player - oftentimes more elite - every year of the decade, sans 04-05
5. Shaq - as much as I'd like to put LeBron in this spot, as Shaq's lows from this decade are more elongated and pronounced than James', dude was a force for the first six seasons of the decade. Plus he has four titles. Had LeBron's career started one year earlier I would have put him here without thinking twice.

Just missed the cut:

LeBron (any player who puts up two consecutive seasons that rival peak Jordan and a postseason that are peerless belongs in an all-decade discussion), Pau Gasol, Steve Nash, Jason Kidd, Paul Pierce

If I were to think further about this I'd come up with a more comprehensive missed cut list, and better analysis for my selections.

How is Dirk even in this... Let alone Shaq.

Dirk - Don't get me wrong the guy can shoot but lacks on the defensive side due to him trying to play as a SF. I best compare him to my boy Rashard Lewis. Good players that can shoot but do get burned on the defensive side. I wouldn't consider either in my top 5.

Shaq - has been iced for half the decade. 3 of those seasons not even averaging playing for half the season due to his lingering toe injury. Dominant last decade but no so much this decade. Granted, I love his quotes.

On another note, congrats to the underdogs. Bulls pull out now the thunder do. Granted, the Lakers/Thunder game started off ugly. Both teams were missing easy layups. Durant went cold from shooting than got himself in foul trouble. Wasn't expecting that type of game in the playoffs... By the way Kobe went 10-29. He didn't shoot 40 times. In fact, he finally also passed the ball to others for a change.

Anyone who doubts Dirk should go watch their finals run. He may play offense better now, but he was such a dominant beast in tha run that it was ridiculous. Without the zebras and stu jackson screwing them over they would have their ring. Avery turning them into a nellie team in that series instead of the beasts they were also factors in.

[quote name='Drclaw411']Yeah, he's really been hitting that his entire career. He used it last year when he didn't have a jumpshot. This year he likes to use it as kind of a run stopper when the other team gets momentum, and as a bailout shot. I don't know if he developed it for the NBA or if he had it in college because I didn't really watch Memphis, but it's been really really effective for him. To be honest, i'm not sure if i've ever even seen any other player take that shot the way he does, but he really does make it more often than not.[/QUOTE]

If you get a chance watch some videos of Rose or CDR in college. Chris Douglass Roberts perfected that awkward shot in his college career and Rose probably had it already but made it even better at Memphis. It would always scare me until it went in but by CDR's Junior year it was unstoppable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back