2009 MLB Discussion Thread

[quote name='DomLando']Dude it's the Mets. You know it is just a couple good starts. No way this guy is going to be good over a full season.[/QUOTE]

I dont know. Misch has been one of the few bright spots in this season. He has been pitching really well in reilef...It like Fernando Nieve. He was pretty damn solid before he went down. For next season, its whats the mets are going to need. Not guys like Perez or Hernandez but we need guys like Nieve and Misch for the back-end. That way we can pour money in to the lineup. Which by that time, i hope John Ricco gets promoted to GM so we can hopefully stop with useless signings.

but at the end who gives. This team needs a shit-load of help. With Pelfry taking GIANT steps backwards, all we really have is Santana. September needs to end fast.

[quote name='integralsmatic']I dont know. Misch has been one of the few bright spots in this season. He has been pitching really well in reilef...It like Fernando Nieve. He was pretty damn solid before he went down. For next season, its whats the mets are going to need. Not guys like Perez or Hernandez but we need guys like Nieve and Misch for the back-end. That way we can pour money in to the lineup. Which by that time, i hope John Ricco gets promoted to GM so we can hopefully stop with useless signings.

but at the end who gives. This team needs a shit-load of help. With Pelfry taking GIANT steps backwards, all we really have is Santana. September needs to end fast.[/QUOTE]

If Nieve and Misch are in the rotation next year we are in BIG trouble.

[quote name='DomLando']If Nieve and Misch are in the rotation next year we are in BIG trouble.[/QUOTE]

i guess im out of my mind...but i dont really think thats too far fetched. Our rotation was already put in to question since opening day. Maine is becoming a health hazard, Pelfry is taking steps backwards, hernandez is an after thought, and anyone else they picked up has been pretty bad anyway except for the obvious(Santana). Nieve was great until the runs stopped producing for him and giving up 3-4 runs was just too much for the mets to come back from. but i do understand what your saying. im sure enough they wont be and Ricco(not minaya) will bring some big arms to solidify the rotation.

[quote name='integralsmatic']i guess im out of my mind...but i dont really think thats too far fetched. Our rotation was already put in to question since opening day. Maine is becoming a health hazard, Pelfry is taking steps backwards, hernandez is an after thought, and anyone else they picked up has been pretty bad anyway except for the obvious(Santana). Nieve was great until the runs stopped producing for him and giving up 3-4 runs was just too much for the mets to come back from. but i do understand what your saying. im sure enough they wont be and Ricco(not minaya) will bring some big arms to solidify the rotation.[/QUOTE]

I think it could happen but if it does we are in for another long season. I see your point in how they pitched this season but I just cannot see those 2 being a big impact for a whole season.

My advice for the Mets would be if they're not willing to seriously spend this winter (and receive all the criticism that comes with it), then they should trade Santana while he still has some value. They've gotta figure out if they're still a "win now" team, or if they're rebuilding. Having a healthy lineup next year will obviously help, but they won't get by with the pitching they currently have.

Braves lost the first 2 to the Reds and are 6 out of the Wildcard now.

I'm about ready to stick a fork in them this year. Lack of power hitters is killing them, as they don't have any speed either so small ball doesn't work either. Always stranding runners on base.

The part that sucks there is while it was a bit of a long shot, the Phillies lost the first two to the Astros as well, so failing all else, we could have caught two up in the division as well.

On the plus side, Hudson is pitching great again today. So at least for next year, having him back will be a huge plus if he stays healthy.

Just got to pick up a power hitter and or/speed--or hope some of the highly touted prospects are ready to come up and play next spring and perform to expectations.

Yikes! Kawakami just drilled Owings in the head with the bases loaded in the top of the 12th. Hit him right in the earhole--had to hurt like hell.

That was followed up by a sac fly to make it 4-2. So looks like the Braves are going to get swept at home by the reds. :roll:

Kawakami frustrates me to know end. His stats aren't terrible, but everytime I watch him he sucks--in person and on TV. Guess he's great when I don't watch since his ERA is under 4.

That really sucks. Can't capitalize on the Astros sweeping the Phils and Cueto doesn't get the much needed win for my fantasy team. Geez...worst case scenario for the day and it happens. >_>

LA has put the ass whoopin on SF. We win again tonight and SF can call it a season. And guess who's pitching for SF? Brad Penny.

Oh man do I want this one.

I was hoping the Cardinals would have the division wrapped up before the series with the Cubs this coming weekend but I guess that was wishful thinking. Also now the Cards join the Phillies on the "closer woes" bus.

Smoltz probably isn't the answer, as the Cards are likely going to have to use him as the 4th starter IF they make the NLCS/World Series since Lohse has imploded, and that just exposes the Cards bullpen weakness ever more.

Looks like the playoff matchups are a lock. Sucks that the final weeks looks to be pretty boring. You can thank the Rangers, Marlins, Giants and Rays for collapsing once the calender hit September.

[quote name='wildcpac']Looks like the playoff matchups are a lock. Sucks that the final weeks looks to be pretty boring. You can thank the Rangers, Marlins, Giants and Rays for collapsing once the calender hit September.[/QUOTE]

Went down hill after Teh Franchise got scratched from his Pads start.....

Rockies never lose.....wouldn't be surprised if they won the NL West.....if they did I wouldn't wanna face them....

[quote name='wildcpac']Looks like the playoff matchups are a lock. Sucks that the final weeks looks to be pretty boring. You can thank the Rangers, Marlins, Giants and Rays for collapsing once the calender hit September.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't quite call the Rangers out of it just yet. Same goes for the Marlins and Giants. All of those teams just need a hot streak to make up ground. And the Giants have a good chance, since they play the Rockies and took the 1st game from them. I think the Rangers have a chance because they have a relatively easy schedule, outside of the Angels, over the next few weeks.

And speaking of the Angels, the Red Sox host them in what could be a preview of the ALDS. Hopefully 2 out of 3 is in the books, just as long as Daisuke looks good and Byrd doesn't implode tomorrow night.

Braves have won 5 in a row and are back within 5.5 in the Wildcard. Probably not enough time left to make it up, but the Braves do have a relatively easy schedule the rest of the way.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Braves have won 5 in a row and are back within 5.5 in the Wildcard. Probably not enough time left to make it up, but the Braves do have a relatively easy schedule the rest of the way.[/QUOTE]

just play us for the rest of the month and im sure you will win all the games ;)

[quote name='integralsmatic']just play us for the rest of the month and im sure you will win all the games ;)[/QUOTE]

:D

Braves remaining schedule is:

Mets (2 more)
Phillies (3)
@Mets (3)
@ Washington (3)
Florida (3)
Washington (4)

So pretty damn easy--Phillies and Marlins aside. But that means nothing since we recently lost 2/3 to the Padres and got swept by the Reds....

I wouldn't call that an easy schedule. Sure, it could be far, far worse. However, I have watched a couple of their games on MASN, and yes, their pitching isn't all that good, so you might go in expecting a good amount of scoring, their hitters seem to always pick one inning in that game and just go gangbusters. I've seen close, 1 run games become a 6 run game just like that several times. Granted, half the time they blow the leads or come really close, but the Nationals aren't necessarily a pushover by any stretch of the imagination.

Braves finish their sweep of the Mets, to win their 7th straight and pull with in 4.5 games of the Rockies....

The Nats have the worst record in baseball at 50-96. Having 7 games left against them constitutes an easy schedule. There isn't a worse team the Braves could be playing.

yeah the natties don't have anything besides Adam Dunn and Ryan Zimmerman and maybe john lannan but thats it. I don't think the braves have anything to worry about in that series. they just have to keep the way they are playing.

12 more days and the nightmare season ends.

Yankees magic # for the division and HFA is at 10 now.. Big weekend for the Twins, they have moved within 4 games of the Tigers and have 7 games left with them.

[quote name='Eyecue']Mariano Rivera wasn't himself, he got killed. One out away too. :([/QUOTE]

That inning changed 180. He made the first two batters look silly and got hit hard by the last two. You move on. If the Yankees go 7-7 down the stretch, Boston has to go 14-2 to win the division.

Twins beat the Tigers to move within 3 games of the Central Division. Giants beat LA and move within another game of the Rockies who lost to Arizona.

Nice to see the boys in blue beat up on Teh Franchise today. He didn't have it at all. If we can keep that up against top tier pitchers, we should be in good shape for the postseason. Top that with the shelling of fat ass penny yesterday, good weekend by all.

[quote name='integralsmatic']yeah the natties don't have anything besides Adam Dunn and Ryan Zimmerman and maybe john lannan but thats it. I don't think the braves have anything to worry about in that series. they just have to keep the way they are playing.

12 more days and the nightmare season ends.[/QUOTE]

So after Misch's past few starts you think he is still a guy for the rotation next year?

Braves still 5 back with 11 to play after losing 2/3 to the Phillies and crushing the Mets again last night. 8 of the 11 are against the Mets and Nats which helps, but probably still to little too late unless the Rockies and Giants collapse.

[quote name='DomLando']So after Misch's past few starts you think he is still a guy for the rotation next year?[/QUOTE]

:whistle2:# maybe i spoke to soon......but i guess thats being met under this regime. one guy is just a flash in the pan.

i have to get this optimism out of me. I just have to face it, when a guy looks good for 1-2 games.....he just looks good for those games. In reality, he sucks. It looks like Stoner or Broadway will take his spot. Really, there isn't much difference and there is only 7 days left in the season. Who cares?!

The mets need to send all these guys to Winter Ball especially Bobby Parnell. That guy is going to have to develop a stable of pitches instead of relying on 2 pitches if he is even thinking about starting next year.

I am liking Josh Thole though. At least we can move Schnieder's contract since now we have two viable catchers at such a cheap price.

this season has been so pathetic, did you see the girl knitting?

[quote name='dmaul1114']Braves still 5 back with 11 to play after losing 2/3 to the Phillies and crushing the Mets again last night. 8 of the 11 are against the Mets and Nats which helps, but probably still to little too late unless the Rockies and Giants collapse.[/QUOTE]

Too little too late. You would have to go 11-0 and pray that Colorado goes 5-6. And that the Giants lose a ton as well. Especially since the Braves do not play the Rockies head to head.

The only playoff spot open is the AL Central.

[quote name='integralsmatic']:whistle2:# maybe i spoke to soon......but i guess thats being met under this regime. one guy is just a flash in the pan.

i have to get this optimism out of me. I just have to face it, when a guy looks good for 1-2 games.....he just looks good for those games. In reality, he sucks. It looks like Stoner or Broadway will take his spot. Really, there isn't much difference and there is only 7 days left in the season. Who cares?!

The mets need to send all these guys to Winter Ball especially Bobby Parnell. That guy is going to have to develop a stable of pitches instead of relying on 2 pitches if he is even thinking about starting next year.

I am liking Josh Thole though. At least we can move Schnieder's contract since now we have two viable catchers at such a cheap price.

this season has been so pathetic, did you see the girl knitting?[/QUOTE]

Yes I did.

Thole does seem to be a bright spot. So getting rid of Schnieder will be good.

Bobby Cox is going to retire after next season and then be a consultant for the team.

Meh. He's been great, but he made some questionable decisions at time this year. I'd almost rather him retire now, the team could use a change to get out of this rut.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Bobby Cox is going to retire after next season and then be a consultant for the team.

Meh. He's been great, but he made some questionable decisions at time this year. I'd almost rather him retire now, the team could use a change to get out of this rut.[/QUOTE]

Rut? The Braves could win 88-90 games this year. That is coming with Derek Lowe not living up to expectations and Chipper being injured and having a huge down year compared to last year.

Here are the problems for the Braves. Phillies starting pitching is going to be better next year. They are going to have Cliff Lee for the full season, Drabek might come up, etc. The Marlins are going to be another year older and better. The Mets are going to be healthy and hopefully for their sake they retool the team. They have about 30-40 million coming off the books (Wagner, Delgado, etc). The jury is still out on the Nationals if they are going to lose another 100.

Yeah, Rut's a bit harsh I suppose. I just meant rut in the sense of missing the playoff for the 4th straight year after winning the division 14 straight years. Us Braves fans got spoiled!

The Braves problem is offense. They have no big power hitter (no one will be close to even 30 homers this year, much less 40+) AND they have no speed--so they can't really play small ball either. So they leave tons of people on base.

So them getting back to the playoffs is keeping the pitching in tact (word is they may have to ditch Hudson, Lowe or Kawakami for salary reasons as the owners want to cut pay role) and finding some power or speed--be it some of their hyped farm talent or making a trade.

Braves finished a 3 game sweep of the Nats yesterday, they've won 6 straight and 14 of 16. 2.5 games behind the Rockies now.

Braves have 7 home games to finish the year. 3 against the Marlins and 4 against the Nats.

Rockies have 3 against the Brewers at home then 3 at the Dodgers to finish the season.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Braves finished a 3 game sweep of the Nats yesterday, they've won 6 straight and 14 of 16. 2.5 games behind the Rockies now.

Braves have 7 home games to finish the year. 3 against the Marlins and 4 against the Nats.

Rockies have 3 against the Brewers at home then 3 at the Dodgers to finish the season.[/QUOTE]

Part of me hopes that it comes down to the Sunday for both of those teams. I think that would be amazing. Its definitely going to be fun to watch the AL Central and NL Wild Card for the next week.

And the Angels and Red Sox can both clinch tonight with wins and a Rangers loss. I hope that the Sox can clinch and the Angels sweet it out for the rest of the week. I'll take a late season collapse and then recovery Sunday by the Angels going into ALDS.

Braves are now 2 back. I do not want to jinx them but they could win their last 6 of the season. They have Hudson and Vasquez for the next two against the Marlins. Throw in 4 games to end the season with the Nats.

I know it's not likely, but unless a miracle happens, the Phillies are going to lose and we'll be 4 back. If we're still alive, way I see it, we still have to hope for the division, even if we'll most likely only get the wildcard.

Yes, I hate the Phillies, so I hope it happens.

Yep, 2 back now, both teams have 6 to play with the Braves having the more favorable schedule.

If they end up tied, the 1 game playoff would be in Atlanta on October 5th.

bread's done
Back