2011 MLB Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='pitfallharry219']Reports are saying Posey's done for the year.[/QUOTE]

That's rough. I hate when likeable young players on any team go down, just sucks for the game.

Carl Crawford has gone 8-9 with 2 doubles, 2 triples, and a home run the last two games. I think he might be coming alive at the plate (about damned time).

He was hitting .308 in May before today, I'd say he's been alive for some time.

He needs to take some walks though.

Also worrying is that this is the second straight season in which he's swinging at balls out of the strike zone at a 36% clip. He was in the 30% range in his career before last season. Even worse is that he's making contact at a career-high rate on those swings. He won't have a .342 BABIP this year or any year after if he continues those trends.

In short, the Red Sox paid all that money for someone who looks like he'll be a low OBP slap hitter for the duration of his contract. With declining speed in the second half of the deal.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']He was hitting .308 in May before today, I'd say he's been alive for some time.
[/QUOTE]

Having watched every game, there have been a lot of seeing eye singles and infield hits which contributed to that. He's definitely been showing signs of life, but the last few days he's really begun hitting the ball with authority for the first time all year.

You're definitely right about his pitch selection, and I don't think he's ever really going to improve in that area. The Red Sox can afford to overpay a player like Crawford even if just gives them decent offense and his glove.

Obviously the jury is still out on the signing, and will be for some time, but I'm happy that the guy is finally starting to play well, it was obvious in his body language that the slump was getting to him.

Bummer about Posey, sucks for the Giants. Even though I hate them, I feel bad. Not too excited about all the talk about changing rules for plays at the plate.

[quote name='vrs1650']Not too excited about all the talk about changing rules for plays at the plate.[/QUOTE]

I always think changing a rule because of one event is shortsighted and reactive. That said, baseball is not intended to be a contact sport, and even before the Posey play I've always thought it's a bit silly to have one unique facet of the game where anything other than incidental contact is allowed/encouraged. I think it's something worth looking at, though there are a bunch of other baseball rules I'd rather see changed first.

So I thought Galarraga was a class act after the blown perfect game last season, but he just comes off as a complete douche here: http://www.azsnakepit.com/2011/5/28/2195315/armando-galarraga-and-the-jewel-of-denial Not even sure why Towers traded for him to begin with honestly.

Nice of the Dbacks to be relevant again.

And I know it's probably known by now, but wow are the Astros an awful team. That being said, Zach Duke killed it in his return, even hit a three-run homer.

What the heck is going on at Safeco tonight? 4 Fans run on the field (Including 1 streaker), fight breaks out in the stands...
Did they forget to stop serving Alcohol after the 6th inning again?

How about Paul Maholm's gem today. 91 pitches, 3-hit shutout. I actually saw him win a game in 2007 against the Giants, also 91 pitches and three hits but did give up a run. That game also took only 1:51 to play.

Alright, if the score stands, Seattle will actually have more runs scored than allowed on the season.

To bad Texas offense is showing signs of picking up again, so they may start to put up separation on the division.

I thought the Indians were supposed to have a good bullpen. NO reason to throw an inside fastball to Josh Hamilton in that spot that late in the game.

Go Rangers!

So I like the two picks that the D'backs made at the draft today, Trevor Bauer and Archie Bradley. I'm a little concerned about the signability of Bradley though, and he is an unprotected pick.

So after the Red Sox sweeping the Yankees in New York in mid-May for the first time in forever, they just did the same thing again. That's 8 out of 9 for the year now, and the Yanks will have to wait until August for revenge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anything ever go right for the city of Cleveland? At this rate, the Indians will drop the 3rd by the end of the month.

As close as the Mariners are, I think Texas will pull away from the rest of the division before the M's make a move to help the team.

i guess the Jose Reyes Sweepstakes should be lighting up soon. And with Beltran hitting ok, that should be somewhat a good deal.

I seriously want reyes to stay but its so hard to tell with contract years and all if he will be keep it up next year.

Giants Opening Day Infield:

1B: Brandon Belt
2B:Freddy Sanchez
3B:pablo Sandoval
C:Buster Posey

Now:
1B: Aubrey Piece of Shit
2B: Bill 'Who the fuck are you?' Hall
SS: Brandon 'Called up from Single A' Crawford
3B:Migglesworth
C:Eli 'I'm Mr. Whiteside'

nah, brewers fan. I’m just very skeptical if we can keep this up for a few more months, or if we are going to crash and burn spectacularly.the red sox/brewers series is going to be awesome.

I'm definitely looking forward to the Sox/Brewers series. One of the things I really love about interleague play is getting to see teams I rarely get a chance to watch. I actually sort of wish the series were in Milwaukee, since that seems like a neat stadium.

My gawd are the BoSox on a tear. If they'd just broken even over the first 12 games, they'd be 45 and 20.

I haven't seen this many 6 and 7 run innings in forever.

So there has been talk of realignment, and apparently the D-backs are a prime candidate to be moved over to the AL West and then the Astros would be moved over to the NL West.

I fear AL hitting at Chase, and having grown up watching NL baseball I would prefer that the D-backs stay.

[quote name='yukine']So there has been talk of realignment, and apparently the D-backs are a prime candidate to be moved over to the AL West and then the Astros would be moved over to the NL West.

I fear AL hitting at Chase, and having grown up watching NL baseball I would prefer that the D-backs stay.[/QUOTE]

its not going to happen. I think the DH rule would have something to do with it and it would kill the divisional rivalries that are currently going on. But thats how i see it...im pretty sure there are better reasons.

Man i never seen the MLB thread so dead before.

But man i am waiting for the next embarrassing loss lol. K'rod with a Balk off to lose the game. What's next lol.

Red Sox are just raking right now and Beckett is hot. Not good for the rest of the AL East.

I don't know what it is, but this season has just lacked excitement. So many injuries all around the league. The MLB season is so long, the teams that end up on top are usually just the ones who survive it. Boston turned their season around so quickly, but there's still plenty of time for it to fall apart as well. With baseball, it's just so hard to predict anything. It makes it difficult to get too excited until at least August when you see how many abled bodies your team has left.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I don't know what it is, but this season has just lacked excitement. So many injuries all around the league. The MLB season is so long, the teams that end up on top are usually just the ones who survive it. Boston turned their season around so quickly, but there's still plenty of time for it to fall apart as well. With baseball, it's just so hard to predict anything. It makes it difficult to get too excited until at least August when you see how many abled bodies your team has left.[/QUOTE]

+1.

Baseball is far and away way behind in the up and coming stars of their sport compared to NBA/NFL/NHL.

You really have only 4-5 legitimate WS contenders (Phils/G's/Yanks/Sox).

Then you have a bunch of shitty .500 teams beating up on each other.

Never understood why baseball doesn't consider relegation like the Premiership.

I mean seriously....would anyone throw a bitch fit if the A's/Twins/Orioles/Padres weren't playing against actual teams?

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I don't know what it is, but this season has just lacked excitement. So many injuries all around the league. The MLB season is so long, the teams that end up on top are usually just the ones who survive it. Boston turned their season around so quickly, but there's still plenty of time for it to fall apart as well. With baseball, it's just so hard to predict anything. It makes it difficult to get too excited until at least August when you see how many abled bodies your team has left.[/QUOTE]

It's funny that you post this just a couple hours before Carl Crawford goes down with a hamstring injury and ends up on the DL.

I'll be ok with winning the AL West, by surviving. Seattle being only half a game out of first, is whats keeping me interested so far this season.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']It's funny that you post this just a couple hours before Carl Crawford goes down with a hamstring injury and ends up on the DL.[/QUOTE]

Never underestimate my powers, lol. It just seems like the past several years have been like this. I don't know if players are pushing themselves too hard or what, but it feels like almost every team has half their lineup and rotation out. Look at the teams that have won the past several World Series, and see how many injuries they had. Sure, there are teams that are simply better than others, but you have to have luck on your side as well.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Never underestimate my powers, lol. It just seems like the past several years have been like this. I don't know if players are pushing themselves too hard or what, but it feels like almost every team has half their lineup and rotation out. Look at the teams that have won the past several World Series, and see how many injuries they had. Sure, there are teams that are simply better than others, but you have to have luck on your side as well.[/QUOTE]

I think it's more along the lines that teams are being very cautious . Take Nelson Cruz for example; he pulled his quad earlier this season and was out for a pretty decent chunk of time. He could've came back early because the injury wasn't nearly that troubling, but teams don't mess around these days.

If you've got even the slightest hint of a injury, major or minor, you will be put on the DL.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Never underestimate my powers, lol. It just seems like the past several years have been like this. I don't know if players are pushing themselves too hard or what, but it feels like almost every team has half their lineup and rotation out. Look at the teams that have won the past several World Series, and see how many injuries they had. Sure, there are teams that are simply better than others, but you have to have luck on your side as well.[/QUOTE]

And now Buchholz is on the DL. dafoomie is going to stab you if things keep going like this.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']And now Buchholz is on the DL. dafoomie is going to stab you if things keep going like this.[/QUOTE]

Haha, don't point the finger at me until they lose Gonzalez. :)

I'm not too worried about Crawford or Buchholz, both seem like pretty minor injuries at this point. Plus, this gives the Red Sox the chance to see what they have in Andrew Miller. If he can finally put together his enormous potential (I'm skeptical), he could be a big help for them.

As far as injuries go, after last year's team this is nothing. The only guy they've lost for good is Dice-K, and that's been a positive for them given how well Wakefield has pitched since going back to the rotation.

Just wanted to say I'm not posting here because my team is a smoldering crater and that's not going to change for years.

fuck you McCourt. I've never seen a team so completely and utterly destroyed by an owner. In any sport.

Lincecum is in beast mode today, 7IP, 3 Hits, 12 Strikeouts, 2 walks. All 12 strikeouts were swinging.

Also a cool little statistic, since 2007, Lincecum has had Thirty 10 or more strikeout games. Most in the MLB by a pretty good number, I think Verlander was second with 17.

Washington started playing great baseball this month, sweep the Mariners and Riggleman quits for not having his 2012 option picked up.

[quote name='Beatofficer']Lincecum is in beast mode today, 7IP, 3 Hits, 12 Strikeouts, 2 walks. All 12 strikeouts were swinging..[/QUOTE]
Bout damn time. Of the 10 pitchers on my fantasy team, he was ranked 9th coming into today.

[quote name='yukine']I love that Wily Mo Pena hit the game winning HR against the Tigers today, absolutely crushed it.[/QUOTE]

Wait, what? Wily Mo Pena still exists? :shock:

I don't love how the Red Sox have decided to crap the bed against the dregs of the NL after spending the better part of two months dominating superior AL competition. Make perfect sense. :roll:

I went to see Phil Hughes' rehab start today, he didn't pitch all that great. He definitely needs more work before he makes it back to MLB. Brian Cashman was there and I met him and he signed my ticket, which was pretty cool. Hughes didn't sign for anyone though, even after a bunch of people waited outside in the rain for him. Lamesauce, Phil.

[quote name='bvharris']Wait, what? Wily Mo Pena still exists? :shock:

I don't love how the Red Sox have decided to crap the bed against the dregs of the NL after spending the better part of two months dominating superior AL competition. Make perfect sense. :roll:[/QUOTE]
Yes, D-backs signed him to a minor league contract and he was tearing it up in AAA so they brought him up to DH for the AL swing. He still has a lot of power, who knows maybe he will be our permanent DH if the Dbacks get shifted to the AL West? I wouldn't want him playing defense for us in the NL, that's for sure.

[quote name='Nate Nanjo']Washington started playing great baseball this month, sweep the Mariners and Riggleman quits for not having his 2012 option picked up.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the Nats wanted to retain Riggleman at the end of the season anyway. I just don't know if its a good thing because the Nats are now responding to his managing and they have been on a tear. And now they have good ole Davey Johnson at the helm who has a ton of catching up to do. This will be interesting as the season goes on.

[quote name='speedracer']Just wanted to say I'm not posting here because my team is a smoldering crater and that's not going to change for years.

fuck you McCourt. I've never seen a team so completely and utterly destroyed by an owner. In any sport.[/QUOTE]

*ahem* look no further than the NY Mets my friend. We are in the same boat my friend. The NY Met will not play competitive baseball for another 5-6 years because of the continuous set backs ownership keeps creating. Not to mention they have the world's worst medical staff which I really think they just hired people off the street on the cheap to treat injuries.(look no further than Ike Davis and the boot). The only thing ownership did right was hiring the Money Ball crew. That is it.

[quote name='goodbyetonight']I went to see Phil Hughes' rehab start today, he didn't pitch all that great. He definitely needs more work before he makes it back to MLB. Brian Cashman was there and I met him and he signed my ticket, which was pretty cool. Hughes didn't sign for anyone though, even after a bunch of people waited outside in the rain for him. Lamesauce, Phil.[/QUOTE]

That sucks but he could have been salty from not pitching well and in front of Cashman no less. So he probably didn't want to see anyone that day.

[quote name='integralsmatic']*ahem* look no further than the NY Mets my friend. We are in the same boat my friend. The NY Met will not play competitive baseball for another 5-6 years because of the continuous set backs ownership keeps creating. Not to mention they have the world's worst medical staff which I really think they just hired people off the street on the cheap to treat injuries.(look no further than Ike Davis and the boot). The only thing ownership did right was hiring the Money Ball crew. That is it. [/quote]
I thought I'd live my whole life and never feel charity for NY sports fans. I've watched the Mets disintegrate over the past few years and snickered the whole time. And here I am. Man, this sucks so bad. My wife tried to console me by saying the Dodgers would be turned around by the time my 10 month old daughter is ready to root for a team. I think she's wrong.

I've hated on just about everything Selig has ever done, but thank god he's butting heads with McCourt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back