2011 MLB Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Beatofficer']Brewers gave Braun an extension, from what I read, they're going to be paying him until he's 47 with deferred payments. One of my favorite non-Giants in the MLB, I like how he plays and I like this deal. Atleast they lock up one of their superstars before Prince leaves.[/QUOTE]

I love braun, great guy. And Prince can go waddle to some other team after the years over.

Man, things are so slow this year; not much to talk about except AL central being ass-backwards. Every other division is same old story, but Cleveland on top is just crazy lol. Last year was a season of the no-hitters; this season, injuries?

who cares how many he walked. He still got one. Thats 1 more than the whole NY Mets Organization.

old reliable is just now looking old. I guess the league finally figured out Dickey.

[quote name='tcrash247']Didn't Edwin Jackson walk a ton last year too with like 150 pitches? Whatever works I guess.[/QUOTE]
149 pitches, 8 walks.

It was nerve-wracking to watch live, let me tell you. :lol:

Lol, guess I spoke too soon. The currently two worst teams in baseball clash and there's a no-hitter? Mind=blown. Now do you credit his skill in pitching or chalk it up to a team struggling to hit the ball?

[quote name='integralsmatic']who cares how many he walked. He still got one. Thats 1 more than the whole NY Mets Organization.

old reliable is just now looking old. I guess the league finally figured out Dickey.[/QUOTE]

The league had Dickey figured out for years. He just happened to have a lucky year last year where he didn't get hit as much. I was hoping the Mets would only give him a one year deal but the 2 year deal they gave wasn't to bad and I guess worth the risk to them. They kind of had there hands tied with the rotation any way.

And walks to me affect a no hitter. If you walk 6 and throw a no hitter, yeah its still a no hitter but its not as impressive since you still did put 6 guys on base.

I remember watching Matt Young pitch a no-hitter for the Red Sox..... and lost. To add insult to injury, I guess it didn't count as a no-hitter since he pitched only 8 innings.

yeah also pedro martinez has a perfect game through 9 innings too for the red sox but it went to extra innings and lost as well

Lincecum just got his 10th Strikeout, his 29th game with 10 or more and has now passed Christy Mathewson as the all time leader in Giants history with 10 or more strikeout games.

[quote name='Beatofficer']Lincecum just got his 10th Strikeout, his 29th game with 10 or more and has now passed Christy Mathewson as the all time leader in Giants history with 10 or more strikeout games.[/QUOTE]

He's nearing Will Clark status in Giants Fandom.

He'll never pass Bonds/McCovey/Mays but he's nearing the pantheon of Giants greats.

[quote name='DomLando']The league had Dickey figured out for years. He just happened to have a lucky year last year where he didn't get hit as much. I was hoping the Mets would only give him a one year deal but the 2 year deal they gave wasn't to bad and I guess worth the risk to them. They kind of had there hands tied with the rotation any way.

And walks to me affect a no hitter. If you walk 6 and throw a no hitter, yeah its still a no hitter but its not as impressive since you still did put 6 guys on base.[/QUOTE]

i see your point but to me its no hitter nonetheless. i would love to have Edwin Jackson's no hitter than having nothing at all. We are the only team in baseball to never have thrown one.

I still count the natties as the Expos since Dennis Martinez got his no-hitter/perfect game while playing for the Expos.

Timmy just looked so great tonight. Im surprised he didn't no hit the listless crap that was out on the field minus Capuano. If the Giants dont smack Perezfry out of the game by the 4th inning tomorrow ill be utterly shocked. I expect a break out game from Buster Posey tomorrow and Sanchez to continue to pour on the K's.

Beato down today too and he has been one of the few bright spots with Young being the only other one.

Lance Berkman has almost single-handedly saved the Cards season thus far. I had that deal pegged completely wrong.

If you would have told me on Feb. 1 that Carp would have zero wins on May 5, Wainwright would be out with Tommy John surgery, and Pujols would be batting .240 and asked what place I thought the Cards were in I would have said 5th or 6th.

The Angels have had the Indians' number so far this year, so I don't expect much from that series. I'm glad that they got their first series win in Oakland in nine years and with more late game heroics. Thought they've been hot lately, I've noticed at least a few guys every guy get no hits and that is an issue they need to address if they want to keep winning. I don't think Shin-Soo Choo has even gotten a hit since his DUI arrest on Monday.

I'm liking the Braves' chance to win this series from the Phillies this weekend. Not necessarily sweep, but I'd be happy with that too. A no hitter through 6 for Lowe and a combined shut out for the team. Gotta give props to Cliff Lee though. 16Ks does help the fantasy team and is generally just impressive. Odd to see him at 2-3 though.

Today could be interesting though. Calling up a prospect while facing Kendrik. I'm expecting a win though, but it'll be interesting to see how Teheran fares.

Last night during the Braves-Phillies game, the Phils announcers kept talking about the strikeouts and were going crazy over them. Sure, it's great he had 16 Ks but he lost. In my eyes, everything is moot unless you win, I'd much rather have that than 16 Ks, especially against the Braves.

Lowe did look really sharp last night, too bad he had to come out with that foot problem, he was pitching a fantastic game. Props to that reliever after him that held the Phils to 2nd and 3rd with no outs too.

I want them to throw Baez out their bus window while driving over a bridge. Guy is fucking garbage. Hopefully the Phils extended bullpen game today goes ok, Kendrick has been really good out of the pen so I think he can give them 3-4 solid innings. Just keep Baez far away from this one unless we're getting crushed.

[quote name='tcrash247']Last night during the Braves-Phillies game, the Phils announcers kept talking about the strikeouts and were going crazy over them. Sure, it's great he had 16 Ks but he lost. In my eyes, everything is moot unless you win, I'd much rather have that than 16 Ks, especially against the Braves.

Lowe did look really sharp last night, too bad he had to come out with that foot problem, he was pitching a fantastic game. Props to that reliever after him that held the Phils to 2nd and 3rd with no outs too.

I want them to throw Baez out their bus window while driving over a bridge. Guy is fucking garbage. Hopefully the Phils extended bullpen game today goes ok, Kendrick has been really good out of the pen so I think he can give them 3-4 solid innings. Just keep Baez far away from this one unless we're getting crushed.[/QUOTE]

16 Ks is pretty ridiculous. The max amount of outs he can have in 7 innings is 21 and he had 16 of them by strikeout. He can't win the game if his team doesn't score him any runs. Also with Lowe, he would have came out any way. Even if he pitched through the seventh he would have been done. Its a shock if Lowe goes more than 6 these days. Once he reaches that 100 pitch mark he gets pulled pretty quickly.

Braves take 2 out of 3 at Philly. Looks like they've finally got it going. 7-3 over the last 10, 4 games over .500 and 3.5 out of first.

3rd walkoff win for the Giants in less than a week. Lincecum pitched amazing tonight, too bad he didn't get the win due to no run support, but a win is a win for the Giants.

[quote name='Beatofficer']Year of the Pitcher v 2.0 is starting.[/QUOTE]

year of the misery 5.0 for us :cool:

Ike is now hurt and im ultra worried about him. Young out for the year(what a surprise)and i feel bad for him. He is was pitching light outs.

Man, why am I sorta starting to believe what Micheal Kay has been saying and thats the Mets just have been having really bad luck after the 06 NLCS. Nothing has ever gone right in any which way for the Mets. Its getting to the point where its very uncanny.

so uncanny that pelfry gives up 3 home runs and gets the game winning hit.

The Indians should get the Kardiac Kids nickname for the way they've won several games over the past couple of weeks in the last innings. They've stepped up their offensive game to be more consistent (all but two players in the Rays game had at least one hit) and the pitching has been solid all around (the bullpen is much better this year than in the past few seasons). Even the rookie Alex White beat Jared Weaver for his first career win.

If they can keep it up, I don't see why they can't keep the division lead with how poorly Chicago and Minnesota are doing (the AL Central is the only division with at least one team that is 10 games behind the leader already and they have two of them). I saw stats on an ESPN blog recently that said that teams in their places have come back to win the division less than 20% of the time for both teams.

[quote name='Beatofficer']3rd walkoff win for the Giants in less than a week. Lincecum pitched amazing tonight, too bad he didn't get the win due to no run support, but a win is a win for the Giants.[/QUOTE]
Boooo!

That was a good game though, I like a good pitchers duel.

[quote name='integralsmatic']year of the misery 5.0 for us :cool:

Ike is now hurt and im ultra worried about him. Young out for the year(what a surprise)and i feel bad for him. He is was pitching light outs.

Man, why am I sorta starting to believe what Micheal Kay has been saying and thats the Mets just have been having really bad luck after the 06 NLCS. Nothing has ever gone right in any which way for the Mets. Its getting to the point where its very uncanny.

so uncanny that pelfry gives up 3 home runs and gets the game winning hit.[/QUOTE]

The Mets have made there own luck. Omar put together a shitty team and Alderson is trying to clean up the mess, it's just going to take some time. Ike should be fine so no worries there and who really thought Chris Young would stay healthy? With the pitching staff they put together, you had to expect a poor season. Even with a healthy Beltran and Reyes, the Mets are still in last. I hope both of them continue to play well so the Mets can hopefully move both before the deadline and pick up some good young talent. The worst injury of all is Mejia needing Tommy John surgery.

Rangers were finally crushing the ball today and the rain fucks them over. I can't believe that Oakland basically gets a redo as the first four innings of the game today don't even count. Sucks for Moreland since he hit a grand slam.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Rangers were finally crushing the ball today and the rain fucks them over. I can't believe that Oakland basically gets a redo as the first four innings of the game today don't even count. Sucks for Moreland since he hit a grand slam.[/QUOTE]

On the contrary, I was happy since I own Gio Gonzalez in a fantasy league.

Got to love NL West baseball, one hit is enough to put away the Dodgers. Although the last time the Dodgers lost to one hit was in 1914, bananars!

I really enjoy watching Collmenter pitch, his delivery is unique and he pounds the zone. I hope he continues to have success as a starter.

Due to the rain we're getting here for the next week or so, tonight's Indians game is postponed. Last night's game was another great come-from-behind win as Pronk got a two-run homer to give them their ninth win of the year on the last at-bat.

Vogelsong pitched very well today, I guess technically he pitched a complete game since they ended the game early because of the rain. If he keeps playing like this, I wonder what they're going to do when Zito comes back.

[quote name='Beatofficer']Vogelsong pitched very well today, I guess technically he pitched a complete game since they ended the game early because of the rain. If he keeps playing like this, I wonder what they're going to do when Zito comes back.[/QUOTE]
I've had him on my fantasy team the last few weeks. Hopefully he keeps playing well. I dropped Carl Pavano to pick him up.

Anyone catch Sara Silverman on the Yankees Redsox game? She's more annoying than I remembered her being.

[quote name='silentevil']I've had him on my fantasy team the last few weeks. Hopefully he keeps playing well. I dropped Carl Pavano to pick him up.

Anyone catch Sara Silverman on the Yankees Redsox game? She's more annoying than I remembered her being.[/QUOTE]

Really? I've always remembered her as being one of the most annoying human beings ever. I never figured out why so many people thought she was hot, when she was average at best.

[quote name='Beatofficer']Really? I've always remembered her as being one of the most annoying human beings ever. I never figured out why so many people thought she was hot, when she was average at best.[/QUOTE]

Cause she was in a pool of talent that included things like Lisa Campenelli. She was graded on a curve.

What did she do at the Red Sox / Yankees game?

[quote name='confoosious']Cause she was in a pool of talent that included things like Lisa Campenelli. She was graded on a curve.

What did she do at the Red Sox / Yankees game?[/QUOTE]
She was in the announcers box promoting her new show. The announcers had to shut her up several times. She said she was a Sox fan and it was better when they were losing but the best thing when the announcers cut her off completely for saying all pitchers should take LSD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esIZ04A3et8

Braves take 2 out of 3 from the Phillies again. Shame they had to lose 2 out of 3 to the Nationals at home in between those series.

About time the Red Sox got back to having the same amount of wins as loses. It only took 40 games and a sweep at Yankee Stadium to get there.

Brian McCann hit a solo homer in the bottom of the 9th to tie the Braves-Astros game at 1, and then hit a walkoff two run homer in the bottom of the 11th to win it!

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I can't believe Chris Davis did something today. Maybe he will actually turn the corner and stop being a Quad A ball player.[/QUOTE]

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves here. He's show signs of greatness before and plummeted. If anything, he can play amazing for a short stint and be worthy tradebait for Heath Bell.

Also, 4 more rainouts today. Mother Nature really hates baseball this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back