2011 MLB Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I had to put money on it I'd bet the final standings will look much closer to that second list than the first one. It is, after all, April. ;)

They need to move Mauar to a different position if they want him to stay off the DL, he didn't last very long as a catcher. I hope this doesn't happen to my boy Buster Posey.

[quote name='Beatofficer']I'm just going to claim now that Panda is back, predicting .320/30/100[/QUOTE]

Panda has been looking great this year. Although is it just me or does it seem that hes putting some of the weight back on?

[quote name='Spanky']Panda has been looking great this year. Although is it just me or does it seem that hes putting some of the weight back on?[/QUOTE]

Seems like his face is getting chubbier, ya, I hope someone on the Giants training staff notices and gets on his ass, regardless of him tearing things up right now.

That bomb he just hit off of Ubaldo was amazing. Hopefully Sanchez is the good Sanchez with control tonight.

[quote name='JStryke']Missed the game due to work, but caught the highlights. Nice game by Halladay today.[/QUOTE]

Best line I've seen all year.

[quote name='Beatofficer']Best line I've seen all year.[/QUOTE]

Almost as good as Lincecum's August last year.

Something I want to bring up. While I was happy we got Cliff Lee, I'm one of the only people in the Philadelphia area who said it was a bad idea to get a 4th ace rather than a new outfielder. Our problem in the playoffs was our hitting shut down completely. The only person that was producing was Werth. So we fixed what wasn't broken and let our low points get even lower. And it's showing right now. Where are our bats? Oh, one is in Washington on a suckass team and the others are up their own asses. Sure we did great for the first 2 weeks but this better not be the beginning of a slump already. Plus, our corner outfielders are complete shit. Ibanez and Fransisco can't throw for shit and are just ok at tracking down fly balls. It's very frustrating to see a problem that we had last year just getting bigger and bigger. And everyone says we'll be fine once Utley comes back. Uh, did you see him at the end of last year? He didn't do jack shit. He better improve this year along with the rest of the team or the 4 aces are going to have to be near perfect every day.

I know it's early to start throwing all this around, but it's got me very worried.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tcrash247']Almost as good as Lincecum's August last year.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I don't remember August last year, I do remember his line during the Giants World Series run though!

[quote name='tcrash247']Almost as good as Lincecum's August last year.

Something I want to bring up. While I was happy we got Cliff Lee, I'm one of the only people in the Philadelphia area who said it was a bad idea to get a 4th ace rather than a new outfielder. Our problem in the playoffs was our hitting shut down completely. The only person that was producing was Werth. So we fixed what wasn't broken and let our low points get even lower. And it's showing right now. Where are our bats? Oh, one is in Washington on a suckass team and the others are up their own asses. Sure we did great for the first 2 weeks but this better not be the beginning of a slump already. Plus, our corner outfielders are complete shit. Ibanez and Fransisco can't throw for shit and are just ok at tracking down fly balls. It's very frustrating to see a problem that we had last year just getting bigger and bigger. And everyone says we'll be fine once Utley comes back. Uh, did you see him at the end of last year? He didn't do jack shit. He better improve this year along with the rest of the team or the 4 aces are going to have to be near perfect every day.

I know it's early to start throwing all this around, but it's got me very worried.[/QUOTE]

That's how the Giants had to survive most of the time, all our pitchers having to be near perfect and only let up 0-2 runs. That was basically the entire regular season for them. Then the bats lit up in the Playoffs and the rest was history. If it's going to be like that for the Phillies, you guys might have to adopt a "torture" slogan like we did. Also get a lot of Advil and Ibuprofin for all the heart attacks and headaches you might have.

For some reason, it seems rare for any team to score a ton of runs and have great pitching. It's either one or the other, even if you have the tools to score a lot of runs and have pitchers who will pitch amazing games. The Phillies have a great hitting lineup who likes to get cold a lot. Most teams would dream to have a healthy Ryan Howard/Jimmy Rollins/Chase Uteley/Dominic Brown/Shane Victorino/etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tcrash247']Almost as good as Lincecum's August last year.

I know it's early to start throwing all this around, but it's got me very worried.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry about any of this stuff. The Phils are gonna win the NL east no problem. All that matters is how we're playing in October. They're gonna lose 70+ games this year. No big deal. The Brewers got real lucky in game 1 (the Bettancourt play) and they pounded Halladay tonight. Even RH wasn't gonna go through this whole season unscathed.

Brian Wilson's beard is out of control, he said last year he wasn't going to shave it until they were eliminated from the playoffs, which makes me wonder if that now means for the playoffs in 2011.
Rockies 3-4-5 guys tonight were 0-16.

[quote name='confoosious']Don't worry about any of this stuff. The Phils are gonna win the NL east no problem. All that matters is how we're playing in October. They're gonna lose 70+ games this year. No big deal. The Brewers got real lucky in game 1 (the Bettancourt play) and they pounded Halladay tonight. Even RH wasn't gonna go through this whole season unscathed.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say 'no problem'. Considering Atlanta will heat up soon and the Marlins are always sneaky bastards.

The Phils have to win the East considering the WC is definitely coming out of the NL West. (If I had to pick I'd say Giants win WC)

I don't ever consider baseball players 'athletes'. Especially, when you get chased down by Pablo Sandoval.

e96mao.gif(

The Red Sox rotation seems to be on their way to sorting themselves out, going 4-1 on the last turn through the rotation with none of them allowing more than 1 run. The offense is beginning to show stirrings as well, huge 4 game series in Anaheim coming up.

[quote name='ph33r m3']I wouldn't say 'no problem'. Considering Atlanta will heat up soon and the Marlins are always sneaky bastards.

The Phils have to win the East considering the WC is definitely coming out of the NL West. (If I had to pick I'd say Giants win WC)

I don't ever consider baseball players 'athletes'. Especially, when you get chased down by Pablo Sandoval.

e96mao.gif%28
[/QUOTE]

Dude, Pablo was already running by the time the runner put the brakes on. Oh, and the runner was Chris Iannetta, a catcher. Have you ever played a sport before?

[quote name='integralsmatic']Let's Go Mets!!!!! more sloppiness costs us another game. Whats new.[/QUOTE]

Yeah its getting bad. At this point I wouldn't mind just totally going a different way with the roster. Hopefully beltran and Reyes continue to hit so we can trade them for some good young talent.

btw Weaver has the same number of home and road wins as the Mets. He is also the first player in MLB history to have 5 wins by April 20th.

[quote name='62t']btw Weaver has the same number of home and road wins as the Mets. He is also the first player in MLB history to have 5 wins by April 20th.[/QUOTE]

Wins for a pitcher is a stupid stat.

either way its pretty god dam sad. we shouldn't have only 5 wins at this point and we are dead last in the MLB. Even the Seattle Mariners have more wins than us. Its pretty pathetic and i expect Jered Weaver to have more wins than us by end of May.

Tonight's loss was just an indication of how crappy the New York Mets really are. they are the only team in the Major leagues to lose in the flukiest ways possible. Year after year, embarrassment after embarrassment, this team just keeps asking for more.

If R.A Dickey says we suck...than yeah we really do suck. Its about dam time one of them let the cat out of the bag and finally see how bad they are really playing. Astros get the guaranteed sweep tomorrow since its Chris Capuano and he will probably give up bombs to the bottom of the order.

[quote name='DomLando']Wins for a pitcher is a stupid stat.[/QUOTE]

No it isn't. No offense, this reads like someone who just discovered advanced statistics last week and is now going out of the way to embrace them.

Wins are certainly not a great stat for statistical analysis, nor are they particularly informative out of context (other stats, the quality of the team, etc). But it is true that generally speaking good pitchers will tend to win more than bad pitchers over a long enough period of time, so the win statistic is perfectly serviceable as an offhand reference to the quality of a pitcher's work, as long as you don't try to base everything on it.

[quote name='bvharris']No it isn't. No offense, this reads like someone who just discovered advanced statistics last week and is now going out of the way to embrace them.

Wins are certainly not a great stat for statistical analysis, nor are they particularly informative out of context (other stats, the quality of the team, etc). But it is true that generally speaking good pitchers will tend to win more than bad pitchers over a long enough period of time, so the win statistic is perfectly serviceable as an offhand reference to the quality of a pitcher's work, as long as you don't try to base everything on it.[/QUOTE]

No offense taken. I been into advanced statistics for a long time now. Wins is just a silly silly stat. Yeah maybe you can say a good pitcher will win more over time but when someone can get a "loss" for pitching 9 innings giving up 1 run and someone else can get a "win" pitching 5 innings giving up 10 runs, it makes the stat worthless to compare guys or see how good a pitcher really is.

[quote name='DomLando']No offense taken. I been into advanced statistics for a long time now. Wins is just a silly silly stat. Yeah maybe you can say a good pitcher will win more over time but when someone can get a "loss" for pitching 9 innings giving up 1 run and someone else can get a "win" pitching 5 innings giving up 10 runs, it makes the stat worthless to compare guys or see how good a pitcher really is.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't have to be all one way or the other though. Saying that all "wins" aren't created equal is obvious, just like all saves aren't created equal. I agree that neither one of those stats is particularly useful for doing a thoughtful analysis of a pitcher's true ability, just like RBI for a hitter. That said, baseball is a game of statistics and in my opinion there's value in both the deep analytical statistics and for "shorthand" statistics like W-L record, saves, and RBIs.

As a fellow stathead does it frustrate me that most awards, etc are usually decided based on the less telling statistics like wins and RBI? Definitely. But that doesn't mean they're wholly without merit when discussing the game, as long as they're treated in the proper context.

Yep. Like I said, wins for a pitcher can have too large an emphasis on them, but they are far from useless. Yeah, you can get a loss when you pitch great and a win when you pitch like shit, but a lot of baseball is like that. Hit a smoking line drive, and you did your job. But someone might still catch it. Get jammed on the hands with a fastball, and you look bad. But the ball might fall in for a hit.

Can't take wins too seriously.Look at Felix Hernandez, the guy had a 13-12 record last year but had a 2.32 era with 232 strikeouts.Had no run support at all,but it also helped that he pitched under no pressure since the team was shit all year.

[quote name='themaster20000']Can't take wins too seriously.Look at Felix Hernandez, the guy had a 13-12 record last year but had a 2.32 era with 232 strikeouts.Had no run support at all,but it also helped that he pitched under no pressure since the team was shit all year.[/QUOTE]

There are plenty such examples, which misses the point entirely. No one is saying that the win is a good statistic for measuring pitcher performance. That doesn't mean however that it is without any merit whatsoever. If I was a GM I certainly wouldn't look at how many wins a pitcher had when deciding whether to sign him or not.

That said, over a long enough period of time and all other things being equal (which of course they aren't in application) good pitchers are going to win more games than bad pitchers, so for the most cursory of glances wins and losses do have merit.

[quote name='bvharris']There are plenty such examples, which misses the point entirely. No one is saying that the win is a good statistic for measuring pitcher performance. That doesn't mean however that it is without any merit whatsoever. If I was a GM I certainly wouldn't look at how many wins a pitcher had when deciding whether to sign him or not.

That said, over a long enough period of time and all other things being equal (which of course they aren't in application) good pitchers are going to win more games than bad pitchers, so for the most cursory of glances wins and losses do have merit.[/QUOTE]

Well the only reason I said it was a stupid stat was because of the stat you posted about Weaver. In the long run i guess at a glance it is ok. But I never look at wins. Guys like Moyer or Wakefield have a good amount of wins but if you look deeper they aren't really great pitchers.

When a relief pitcher can pitch a scoreless inning in a tie game and a team scores in the bottom half and win the game and he gets a win....the stat becomes worst less to me. To each is own though.

[quote name='DomLando']Well the only reason I said it was a stupid stat was because of the stat you posted about Weaver. In the long run i guess at a glance it is ok. But I never look at wins. Guys like Moyer or Wakefield have a good amount of wins but if you look deeper they aren't really great pitchers.
[/QUOTE]

I never posted anything about Weaver, I think you're thinking of someone else.

I disagree about Moyer or Wakefield by the way, but not because of their win totals. Guys who pitch for 20+ years and pile up wins and low-to-mid 4 ERAs are valuable major league players. I don't think either one of them has ever been confused for a "great" pitchers, but not everyone can be an All-Star caliber player, guys who are serviceable pitchers over long careers have a great deal of value to franchises.

Brewers gave Braun an extension, from what I read, they're going to be paying him until he's 47 with deferred payments. One of my favorite non-Giants in the MLB, I like how he plays and I like this deal. Atleast they lock up one of their superstars before Prince leaves.

This homeplate ump is pretty terrible and is squeezing Bumgarner. On another note, Bumgarner hasn't had his stuff this year, I wonder what's up. lol Tejada.

Since starting 2-10, the Red Sox starters have an ERA of 1.19 in the last 7 games. They're already right back in the AL East and if they keep pitching like they have they could be on top sooner than anyone would have imagined after that start. If they start hitting, they could still end up being every bit as good as people thought they would be before the season started.

[quote name='Beatofficer']Hope Mad Bum does well tonight against the Braves. Go Giants. Also Orange Friday!!! my favorite unis[/QUOTE]
Yeah, those unis are pretty slick. I have always loved the Giants colors in general.

[quote name='yukine']Really wish Daniel Hudson would stop sucking, what happened to the guy that went 8-2 with a 2.45 ERA in 2010?[/QUOTE]

He was never that good. His BABIP was .216 with the DBacks, which is completely unsustainable. His LOB% was 91.5, also completely unsustainable. In short, his finish with the DBacks was nearly an exact match to Phil Hughes' start in 2010.

Now, onto the good part:

He's pitching as well as he did last season. He's walking more guys, but he's also striking out two more batters per nine innings. His LOB% is only 53.0 (MLB average is in the low 70s), so once that recovers he'll be fine.

Hudson, FIP/xFIP with the DBacks in 2010: 3.22/3.53
Hudson, FIP/xFIP with the DBacks in 2011: 3.58/3.71

The White Sox bullpen actually held a lead and Chicago actually got their first shutout win of the season tonight in Yankee Stadium, 2-0! Fun game to watch. Phil Humber really impressed me.

Man, no posts since mine? I'm disappointed that the White Sox/Yankees game isn't on TV tonight. I've been enjoying seeing them win and do it against a good team, even if it has been only 2 games. Lillibridge!

Pablo Sandoval out with a broken hand injury for 4-6 weeks.

It's official, the Giants sold their soul to win the World Series.

I don't think this team has fielded a healthy team since last season.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Pablo Sandoval out with a broken hand injury for 4-6 weeks.

It's official, the Giants sold their soul to win the World Series.

I don't think this team has fielded a healthy team since last season.[/QUOTE]

I read this on mlbtraderumors while at work and just yelled mother fucker in the break room, he was starting off so hot too. :(

Another big win over Detroit in extra innings and Cleveland's finished up the month with their best April record in franchise history. I hope they can keep it going, especially after winning 8 of 14 games against their division since they barely play any of them again until the second half of July (four games in May and six more in June).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back