2012 MLB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='HornyPony']Speaking of the devil. Sanchez signs with the Cubs for 5/75. Overpayed but this is the market.[/QUOTE]

Really surprised at that. No other team was willing to pay him that? Yes, it's an overpay, but he must be desperate to sign with the Cubs.

[quote name='tcrash247']Really surprised at that. No other team was willing to pay him that? Yes, it's an overpay, but he must be desperate to sign with the Cubs.[/QUOTE]

Who knows, maybe he wanted to play in Chicago? Hell, maybe other GMs did not offer him that much because of his low W total, haha.

I can't figure out the Cubs. They talk like they want to stink for the next few years so they can get picks and rid themselves of bad contracts, and then they sign Sanchez. Doesn't make any sense and seems counterproductive.

[quote name='GhostShark']The biggest problem here is that Kinsler's production (WAR, UZR and all that good stuff) would be subpar for an OF. He would essentially be costing the team money, and probably lots of it if he is in the OF. It'd be less of a loss (but still a loss) if he moved to first base. I fully expect him to be a 1B next season and Olt to be traded sometime soon in a package for a hitter, or perhaps a pitcher.

However, I think Ian is more suited for 1B than OF, but also is better suited for a place in the order that isn't leading off. Leave leading off to Andrus (if he is still on the team) or Gentry/Profar. Maybe his numbers will rise, who knows.

The Rangers FO has had nearly 30 million, maybe more, to work with this offseason and they've done nearly nothing but sign Soria and Soto. Part of me wants to believe that JD has something brewing that we don't know about, but part of me also believes that the Rangers want to bring up their youth this year and see what they truly have. It might not be a rebuilding year, per say, but I wouldn't surprised if you see a drastically different Rangers team across all aspects of the game.[/QUOTE]

After missing out on Upton, Greinke, and even Josh (who I wouldn't have wanted anyway), signs point that they will focus on the youths next season. I think we could end up getting AJ or Swisher (is he signed yet?) even though they are some of my most hated players. I think JD has something up his sleeve but nothing big. Personally I was hoping we would get Choo but that is out.

[quote name='GhostShark']The biggest problem here is that Kinsler's production (WAR, UZR and all that good stuff) would be subpar for an OF. He would essentially be costing the team money, and probably lots of it if he is in the OF. It'd be less of a loss (but still a loss) if he moved to first base. I fully expect him to be a 1B next season and Olt to be traded sometime soon in a package for a hitter, or perhaps a pitcher.

However, I think Ian is more suited for 1B than OF, but also is better suited for a place in the order that isn't leading off. Leave leading off to Andrus (if he is still on the team) or Gentry/Profar. Maybe his numbers will rise, who knows.

The Rangers FO has had nearly 30 million, maybe more, to work with this offseason and they've done nearly nothing but sign Soria and Soto. Part of me wants to believe that JD has something brewing that we don't know about, but part of me also believes that the Rangers want to bring up their youth this year and see what they truly have. It might not be a rebuilding year, per say, but I wouldn't surprised if you see a drastically different Rangers team across all aspects of the game.[/QUOTE]

Kinsler's bat plays better in the OF than at 1B, and he's athletic enough to cover a corner OF spot. Him moving to 1B takes Olt's most obvious position anyway.

I like the Anibal signing for the Cubs. Garza, Samardzija, Anibal, and Baker could be an excellent rotation. If Rizzo and Castro progress the Cubs could contend for the postseason next year. As for Anibal, his fastball velocity improved the last two years, as did his first strike%.

If I were the Angels I'd keep Bourjos and trade Trumbo and/or Morales. Or just dump Wells already.

Apparently, Dickey and prospects(hopefully not Wheeler,Checcini,and Nimmo) for D'Arnaud(YES!)/Arrencibia(NO!) and Gose.

I thought the Mets would deal niese and prospects for D'arnaud/Gose and flip Dickey to either the angels for Bourjos or the Rangers for Olt and maybe Martin.

Sad to see R.A go but we need to get younger and getting D'Arnaud and possibly Gose would give us a bright future....especially at Catcher!

[quote name='pitfallharry219']The Braves are on the hunt for Trumbo. I know it'll cost some good pitching, but I think it's worth it.[/QUOTE]

I think the angels would rather part with Bourjos and keep Trumbo but again, if the deal is good, why not trade for another pitcher from the Braves.

Potential Players announced in the Dickey Deal

Tor gets:
Dickey
Thole
Non-Elite prospect(thinking Den Dekker)

NYM Gets:
D'arnaud
Syndergaard
Buck
PTBNL/Prospect(not elite)/cash to off set Bucks 6 million dollar contract.

I love R.A Dickey but this is a deal that needs to get done. Syndergaard has some horrific stuff. striking out 11 per 9 is nasty...even in A ball. D'Arnaud will be all ready for 2014 and best yet, they are under our control for a long time. Also we dont lose Flores so I am pretty gitty right now.

Absolutely stupid deal by the Blue Jays. Trading away your best prospect and another top 5 prospect for what may turn out to be a rental if an extension doesn't happen.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']The Braves are on the hunt for Trumbo. I know it'll cost some good pitching, but I think it's worth it.[/QUOTE]

Definitely. Need an LF and especially need some more power in the lineup.

I'd gladly part with one of Delgado/Tejeran and a couple other prospects for him.

Would have a solid outfiled with Trumbo, Upton and Heyward.

Have to make sure to have money to lock up Heyward and Freeman long-term after the season though.

[quote name='GhostShark']Absolutely stupid deal by the Blue Jays. Trading away your best prospect and another top 5 prospect for what may turn out to be a rental if an extension doesn't happen.[/QUOTE]
He signed the extension.

Yeah, I saw. I still don't think he is worth the best catching prospect in baseball. But, hey, more power to the Jays I guess. I still see the Mets as the winner of this trade because D'Arnaud will be a star.

[quote name='GhostShark']Yeah, I saw. I still don't think he is worth the best catching prospect in baseball. But, hey, more power to the Jays I guess. The Mets might be the winner of this trade if D'Arnaud turns out to be a star.[/QUOTE]

Corrected that for you.

Either way a very good trade for the Mets. The Jays are in a win now mode so this trade makes sense. I'm not saying that they didn't give up a lot for a 37 year old pitcher coming off a career year but I see their motivation.

The Blue Jays clearly see they have a window to try to make the playoffs the next couple of years while the Red Sox are rebuilding and the Yankees are ancient.

[quote name='kill3r7']Corrected that for you.

Either way a very good trade for the Mets. The Jays are in a win now mode so this trade makes sense. I'm not saying that they didn't give up a lot for a 37 year old pitcher coming off a career year but I see their motivation.[/QUOTE]

^This. D'arnaud had a crazy BABIP rate for the last two years (though Posey did as well and look at how that turned out). Jays got three years of a great pitcher at a below market cost.

[quote name='dmaul1114']The Blue Jays clearly see they have a window to try to make the playoffs the next couple of years while the Red Sox are rebuilding and the Yankees are ancient.[/QUOTE]

Last year's ancient Yankees team had the most wins in the AL. Blue Jays are the favorites to win the division right now but the off season is very far from over. Saying that Blue Jays will be play off contenders for the next couple of years with out seeing the team on the field is quite ridiculous.

I was just stating their management's logic. I couldn't give a crap less if they contend or not. I'm a Braves fan. :)

But I can see why their management is making moves. If they're every going to win the division or get a wild card, the next 2 or 3 years when the Red Sox are rebuilding and the Yankees keep getting older is probably their best shot unless they get ownership willing to spend on par with those franchises.

Yeah, I don't know why they told Soto he would be the starter, because that's pretty dumb. He's a decent back-up, but otherwise he sucks. AJP would work wonders in the line-up.

You guys are talking about the 36 year old AJ Pierzynski who just had a fluke career year, right?

It'd be much cheaper for the Rangers to just keep Soto and get a LH backup to play against difficult or moderately tough RHP, if possible.

Soto was absolutely awful last year. His only redeeming quality of the year is how well Darvish pitched when he was behind the plate and that's it. I will gladly take AJP (in this ballpark) for two years until Alfaro is read to go.

[quote name='GhostShark']Soto was absolutely awful last year. His only redeeming quality of the year is how well Darvish pitched when he was behind the plate and that's it. I will gladly take AJP (in this ballpark) for two years until Alfaro is read to go.[/QUOTE]

This is 100 percent true. .200 average and runners ran all over him.

[quote name='GhostShark']Soto was absolutely awful last year. His only redeeming quality of the year is how well Darvish pitched when he was behind the plate and that's it. I will gladly take AJP (in this ballpark) for two years until Alfaro is read to go.[/QUOTE]

Soto's 2010 was leagues better than even Pierzynski's career year. That's his ceiling, and his floor was last season, a year in which his .228 BABIP was contradicted by a 21% line drive rate (his career BABIP before last season, with similar line drive, groundball, flyball, and pop up rates, was nearly .300).

Arlington won't give AJ a boost; US Cellular is just as friendly to LHB as Arlington. He's 36 and swings at over 40% of the pitches he sees outside of the strike zone. Texas would be wise to let someone else pay him $15-20 million for the next two seasons.

I feel fairly confident in a AJP/Soto tandem than a Soto/Whiteside tandem. And money really isn't an issue at this point for the Rangers. They're obviously not making any huge paychecks this offseason, so why not? It'd better the team. Soto showed last season that he couldn't be a successful everyday player while Napoli was hurt. I see no reason why that would change.

I like Soto as a back-up, not a starter and the Rangers FO also sees that. Honestly, I would rather have Kelly Shoppach, but the line-up needs some sort of Lefty presence besides Murphy and Profar against righties.

[quote name='GhostShark']I feel fairly confident in a AJP/Soto tandem than a Soto/Whiteside tandem. And money really isn't an issue at this point for the Rangers. They're obviously not making any huge paychecks this offseason, so why not? It'd better the team. Soto showed last season that he couldn't be a successful everyday player while Napoli was hurt. I see no reason why that would change.

I like Soto as a back-up, not a starter and the Rangers FO also sees that. Honestly, I would rather have Kelly Shoppach, but the line-up needs some sort of Lefty presence besides Murphy and Profar against righties.[/QUOTE]

If Texas has the money/desire for Pierzynski strictly hit against RHP and Soto caught Darvish/against opposing LHP, that'd work fine. That's an expensive platoon, though.

Four years 52 mill for Jackson. Figured the Cubs would go after him as Sanchez slipped out of their hands. Would rather take Jackson's contract over Greinke or Sanchez's, guy is a legitimate top of a rotation innings eater.

Aaand Rangers inked A.J.P to a one year deal. Soto/AJP platoon is very good.

[quote name='HornyPony']Four years 52 mill for Jackson. Figured the Cubs would go after him as Sanchez slipped out of their hands. Would rather take Jackson's contract over Greinke or Sanchez's, guy is a legitimate top of a rotation innings eater.

Aaand Rangers inked A.J.P to a one year deal. Soto/AJP platoon is very good.[/QUOTE]

Christ. Phil Hughes is gonna get a lot of money from someone.

[quote name='DestroVega']Alderson pulled off two beauties with this and the Beltran trade.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. D'Arnaud is def the centerpiece but him snagging Syndergaard and Bucera was the icing.

The Jays got the better end in the short term obviously, but if D'arnaud and Syndergaard come out on top than its the mets. Syndergaard looks like a BEAST!!!!

I saw on Deadspin that Dale Murphy did a reddit Q&A and said he would have liked "Daft Punk is playing in my house" as his walk up music. That should put his HOF candidacy over the top.

[quote name='HornyPony']Diamondbacks continue baffling as they sign Ross to a three year deal.[/QUOTE]

Kevin Towers hates Justin Upton.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Kevin Towers hates Justin Upton.[/QUOTE]

Maybe Daniels will come to his senses and deal Andrus for him.

Mariners inked Ibanez. Poor Mariners fans never catch a break, many expected them to go after Swisher.

As a Yankees fan, I can now exhale. Raul had a magical post season but a .248 .319 .492 line against RHP for a RH platoon bat is pretty bad.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I saw on Deadspin that Dale Murphy did a reddit Q&A and said he would have liked "Daft Punk is playing in my house" as his walk up music. That should put his HOF candidacy over the top.[/QUOTE]

A Week late to this comment, but LCD Soundsystem is quite possibly the best live show I've ever seen and I've probably been to around 500+ concerts/shows/festivals in my life.

[quote name='DestroVega']LOL at the Swisher contract.[/QUOTE]

Why?

The reactions of Dodger fans who are aware of Ethier to Mariners rumors are hilarious. I was laughing halfway through this piece particularly. Andre is a platoon bat who is absolutely unplayable against LHP and is below average defensively. He is overpayed, why trade for him when you could have signed a better player (Swisher) to a better contract.

[quote name='HornyPony']Why?

The reactions of Dodger fans who are aware of Ethier to Mariners rumors are hilarious. I was laughing halfway through this piece particularly. Andre is a platoon bat who is absolutely unplayable against LHP and is below average defensively. He is overpayed, why trade for him when you could have signed a better player (Swisher) to a better contract.[/QUOTE]

That was a god awful article. Super bias article. Im not sure if the second part is your opinion or you qouting but i agree.While i dont know his exact stats, every game i see hes just awful at bat.As a dodger fan i dont really care if he stays or leaves but the best the dodgers will get for him is him off the payroll, none of this top prospect bs.

Hall of Fame shutout.

I'd say it's about time that the BBWAA no longer gets to decide who's in and who's out. I'm not sure what the best way to do it is, but it isn't this.

I feel especially bad for a guy like Biggio, who should definitely be in the Hall of Fame and yet gets swept up in this nonsense.

[quote name='KingBroly']How in the hell does Schilling get less votes than Mike Piazza?[/QUOTE]

Piazza is the greatest offensive catcher of all time, and it isn't even close.

LOL @ people thinking they are high and mighty and shutting people out of the hall of fame as though that changes peoples perceptions about how great of players they were.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Piazza is the greatest offensive catcher of all time, and it isn't even close.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I'd put Piazza in before Schilling.

But this is such a stacked class, if you're going by what they accomplished on the field there are at least 10 guys on this list who should be in the Hall.

All of them should get in, in my opinion. Nearly everybody involved in baseball was complicit in the steroid era, and profited from it, and that includes many of these same writers who are voting to punish these guys now (including guys like Bagwell and Piazza who've never been formally accused of anything). Put them in the Hall, that way baseball has to wear the steroid era like a black eye forever. Trying to pretend it didn't happen serves no purpose.

I really dislike how Bagwell and Piazza are suffering because of the era they played in. Saying that, I would still vote in Bonds (one of the three best hitters of all-time) and Clemens (one of the three best pitchers of all-time). And Craig Biggio, how the hell did he not get in? Oh, that's right, he's not "first ballot" material to the voters. Such a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back