2012 MLB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='HydroX']I declined it and the guy countered with Verlander and Storen for Strasburg. It is a keeper league (keep only 3) so I bit. Plan on wheeling Verlander for a first round bat and a subpar pitcher.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that guy really wanted Strasburg LOL.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Wow, that guy really wanted Strasburg LOL.[/QUOTE]

Well I suppose he's trying to piece together the 2016 League Championship team because he traded Lincecum for Mike Trout and he drafted Bryce Harper in Rd 7..... :lol:

10,000 wins for the Reds...in 130 years...

Oh, and I love how people were all getting ready to start the "Rivera's done" rants (not anyone in this thread, just saying in general) after his awful opening day performance. They were just waiting for one more bad performance. They could sense the blood in the water. Five innings since then: 6K's, no walks, and 2 hits. It boggles my mind that he can still be this efficient and dominant at 42...

100 year fenway celebration was fucking awesome. I almost cried tears of joy when the '04 team and Francona came out haha. Childhood heroes... :)

Too bad the Sox got their assess kicked lol. I think they'll be fine when Crawford and Ellsbury come back. We saw this happen last year too.

I liked the "WE WANT TITO" chants in the 9th lol

[quote name='HydroX']Well I suppose he's trying to piece together the 2016 League Championship team because he traded Lincecum for Mike Trout and he drafted Bryce Harper in Rd 7..... :lol:[/QUOTE]

Wow. So I guess those are his three keepers. I mean, if the league were a dynasty league and everyone could be kept I'd understand that strategy. But yeah...

[quote name='MillerTime2523']
I think they'll be fine when Crawford and Ellsbury come back. We saw this happen last year too.
[/QUOTE]

Sadly, I'm less convinced. The team is an absolute mess right now, and I'm not sure the talent is there for them to turn things around this season. I don't think they're going to lose 100 games or anything, but I don't expect them to be a serious playoff contender. I didn't before the season, and I certainly haven't seen anything to change my mind. I hope I'm wrong of course.

Another dominate performance from the Braves beating Arizona 9-1 last night.

Which incidentally is also their record since the 0-4 start.

It'll be interesting to see how they do against some better teams. Can't complain about a good start though.

Although it would be nice for some closer games. I need Kimbrel to get my fantasy team some saves this weekend. :razz:

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Can the playoffs start?

Rangers are absolutely killing it. 8-0 and the first inning isn't even over.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it just kept going and going. I loved every bit of. Also, Brandon Inge has no place being at second base. He's just not that good of a player at all.

Sucked to see Beltre tweak his hammy, but hopefully it's nothing major. He's listed as day-to-day for now.

I didn't think it was possible, but we lost CJ and still managed to upgrade the staff. I'm just a little nervous about Nathan in the closer role. He's been shaky so far.. But man, Texas has been killing it lately. The series against the Yankees should be great. I'm thinking this could be the year we get over the hump and win the title. Fingers crossed.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']That ump wanted no part of possibly repeating the Joyce-Galarraga situation.[/QUOTE]

That was a swing.

Man the Red Sox are an embarrassing bunch right now, huh? Almost makes me wish I were a fairweather fan and could jump on the Nationals bandwagon. Can't do it though.

[quote name='JStryke']It'll be interesting to see how they do against some better teams. Can't complain about a good start though.

Although it would be nice for some closer games. I need Kimbrel to get my fantasy team some saves this weekend. :razz:[/QUOTE]

Braves win again, and you got your save. :D

Just got back from my first trip to Pittsburgh, went to the Pirates Cardinals game last night. Pretty cool stadium, I like the walkways behind the outfield and they have some great food. They gave out Pirates umbrellas and it was raining but they didn't let people use the umbrellas, if you put your up, the staff yelled at you... It was cool though, got a free umbrella, spun a wheel and won a terrible looking McCutchen figure and had great food. It was also nice to see Pittsburgh win and people there supporting that sad team. Even AJ pitched like a winner after looking like shit during the first 3 batters of the game.

Super excited, going to Yankees/Tigers this Saturday. Never been to an East Coast game so fired up for Yankee Stadium. Although its not the Dodgers should still be fun. Any tips?

[quote name='vrs1650']Super excited, going to Yankees/Tigers this Saturday. Never been to an East Coast game so fired up for Yankee Stadium. Although its not the Dodgers should still be fun. Any tips?[/QUOTE]

Wear Yankees gear or you'll get your ass kicked/mugged.

[quote name='vrs1650']Super excited, going to Yankees/Tigers this Saturday. Never been to an East Coast game so fired up for Yankee Stadium. Although its not the Dodgers should still be fun. Any tips?[/QUOTE]

Watch out for your cornhole, bud.

[quote name='HydroX']Wear Yankees gear or you'll get your ass kicked/mugged.[/QUOTE]

That's not true at all.

I recommend getting a prime rib sandwich, it's amazing. Although it is like $14.

[quote name='DestroVega']That's not true at all.
[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I've been to Yankees Stadium (the old one) for Sox-Yankees games wearing Sox gear and while I certainly got some ribbing - which I expected - I never felt remotely threatened.

[quote name='HydroX']Wear Yankees gear or you'll get your ass kicked/mugged.[/QUOTE]

Bullshit. As a season ticket holder I can tell you that there are plenty of fans wearing non Yankee gear and they're all having a good time. The bleacher creatures might get rowdy but most of the crowd is pretty chill.

Maybe some of you guys can give me a second opinion here.

Was just offered a trade in a fantasy league. Guy wants Dustin Pedroia and is willing to give Mike Stanton. It wouldn't hurt me all that bad as I can plug Ben Zobrist over at 2nd base. But I feel it doesn't help much either having Carlos Lee, Jason Heyward, Jason Werth, and Carlos Gonzalez (we only start 3).

The thing that scares me and why I'm contemplating rejecting it is Stanton's knee I feel may bother him all year, and his value is in his power production, which so far, has been non-existent.

Throw another vote on the "This is stupid and you've probably never been to Yankee Stadium" pile. At one of the games I went to against the Tigers in 2007, a guy about 10 rows ahead of us had a custom Tigers jersey on, with what I can only assume was his last name on it (can't remember the name...something like Lennel). We were seated down the 3rd base line (where alcohol is allowed), and a guy a few rows behind us had a few too many, and just decided to pick on this guy.

EVERY time the Yankees would do something not great he'd start yelling "Lennel, this is all your fault!" or "Lennel, why are you doing this to us???" Sometimes, he'd even just yell out "LENNEL!!!" for no apparent reason. It was freaking hilarious. Wearing the opposing team's gear will without question draw attention to yourself. But it's no more of a "guarantee" of getting your ass kicked than walking down the street is a "guarantee" that you'll get run down by a taxi. Most people are there to have a good time.

[quote name='bvharris']Agreed. I've been to Yankees Stadium (the old one) for Sox-Yankees games wearing Sox gear and while I certainly got some ribbing - which I expected - I never felt remotely threatened.[/QUOTE]

The only place you should feel threatened is Philly. There have been incidents on the west coast, but I know for a fact most people are laid back at the games.

There's a big difference in going to a game wearing visitors gear, and wearing gear acting like a total asshole. Philly is just insane cause they don't separate the two.

[quote name='perdition(troy']Love seeing Ryan Braun doing awful thus far after weasling his way out of his suspension.[/QUOTE]

Ugh and then they ask John Kruk if there is any correlation, and he basically dodges it by saying, "Yeah, I think he's trying to hard to prove he did everything legit because he was found innocent."

No John. He was guilty and got off on a technicality. That test was legit.

[quote name='JStryke']Maybe some of you guys can give me a second opinion here.

Was just offered a trade in a fantasy league. Guy wants Dustin Pedroia and is willing to give Mike Stanton. It wouldn't hurt me all that bad as I can plug Ben Zobrist over at 2nd base. But I feel it doesn't help much either having Carlos Lee, Jason Heyward, Jason Werth, and Carlos Gonzalez (we only start 3).

The thing that scares me and why I'm contemplating rejecting it is Stanton's knee I feel may bother him all year, and his value is in his power production, which so far, has been non-existent.[/QUOTE]

Keep Pedroia. With Stanton, you'll probably get 10ish more home runs but Pedroia will have 20+ stolen bases and 15+ more runs and a higher batting average than Stanton. All those are better than having those 10 extra home runs whether it's rotisserie or head-to-head. One thing I'll never understand about fantasy leagues is people's desire to trade similar players with similar stats. What's the point of trading a power hitter for a power hitter? The point of a trade in most cases is to trade stats you don't need for stats you do need.

Yeah, definitely keep Pedroia. Stanton is garbage IMO, and if you already have an OF that's pretty full, why would you want to trade where you're "thin" for more OF? If you want Stanton, package Zobrist with someone else and see if the guy bites.

That's pretty much what I thought as well. And I'm not exactly "thin" considering I can play Zobrist at 2B. Which is still better than who he currently has at 2B (Espinosa).

The only thing with Stanton is, power is more valuable than speed in this league as one homer is four points (not counting runs and RBIs) and a SB is only 1. With that said, I would have a hard time giving up Pedroia anyways, just for the leg up I have on the competition at that position. Stanton...OF are a dime a dozen.

[quote name='perdition(troy']Love seeing Ryan Braun doing awful thus far after weasling his way out of his suspension.[/QUOTE]
ESPN is reporting that Braun has turned down the option of having the arbitrator give a report on why he made his decision. Sure seems to me like if I was innocent I'd want that thing out there loud and clear so I could use it to support my innocence.

[quote name='speedracer']ESPN is reporting that Braun has turned down the option of having the arbitrator give a report on why he made his decision. Sure seems to me like if I was innocent I'd want that thing out there loud and clear so I could use it to support my innocence.[/QUOTE]

But he's guilty.

[quote name='speedracer']ESPN is reporting that Braun has turned down the option of having the arbitrator give a report on why he made his decision. Sure seems to me like if I was innocent I'd want that thing out there loud and clear so I could use it to support my innocence.[/QUOTE]

Maybe, maybe not. I'd just want it buried so I wouldn't have to talk about it, personally. But that's me.

Easiest way to bury it would be to have the arbitrator write the report on his decision, and if it was because he was innocent we would never hear about it again.

Can anything stop Matt Kemp? Just hit another homerun(10) tonight. Closer Javy Guarea blown save tonight. Tough man took a line drive off the jaw and stay in the game but ended up blowning the save.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice 9th inning rally by the Braves to take 2 out 3 for the Dodgers in LA.

Should keep rolling with the Pirates in town over the weekend. Going to the game Saturday night.

Twice in a row we had a 9th inning victory. Plus Kimbrel fantasy points WOO! :razz:

Always nice to see performances in the clutch though.

[quote name='bvharris']Phil Humber's chariot has turned back into a pumpkin.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to know what the numbers were for people picking him up in fantasy. I didn't think he would do as bad as he did today, but at the same time, it's also not surprising.

The Sox are now 2nd in the league in runs scored. Tells you just how bad their pitching has been that they're still 2 games under .500 and have a negative run differential. Still, it's very nice to finally see them playing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back