2013 MLB Discussion

Yes, a 39 year old shortstop and a 38 year old 3B, both of whom are coming of very serious injuries, will rejuvenate this team. Not to mention that the 3B is bound to be suspended for 50-100 games.

They are not going anywhere this year. Trade Cano and Kuroda, let this season go.

Oh yeah totally. I'll call Cashman so he can get right on it. I hear Donnie baseball needs the help.

Oh yeah totally. I'll call Cashman so he can get right on it. I hear Donnie baseball needs the help.
K. Keep drinking the kool aid if you think that an offense with the third lowest wRC+, fourth lowest wOBA and third lowest OPS in the game can keep up with the rest of AL East team, which are all by the way top 10 MLB offenses.

Wooops just remembered that our former All Star outfielder is scheduled to start swinging a soft bat in a pool pretty soon.

That they have, but they looked a lot better last night. IMHO, the pitching hasn't been that good all season. I'm not really sure the pitching has gotten worse.
Well, compared to last year.

And Chen coming back helps a lot. If Britton and Tillman can pitch the way they usually have this season, the rotation might turn out somewhat decent.

Of course, getting past the 6th every so often would help a lot.

K. Keep drinking the kool aid if you think that an offense with the third lowest wRC+, fourth lowest wOBA and third lowest OPS in the game can keep up with the rest of AL East team, which are all by the way top 10 MLB offenses.

Wooops just remembered that our former All Star outfielder is scheduled to start swinging a soft bat in a pool pretty soon.
Why hate on a team that so little was expected from? Most prognosticators picked them to finish last in the AL East prior to all the injuries, so yeah I'm drinking the kool-aid.

Even you can't deny that help, even if minor, is still coming. Jeter and our former All Star outfielder are both upgrades to what's presently out there. Rumor has it that (older than dirt) Michael Young might be acquired. There is no doubt that the Yankees need a big bat and they will try to acquire one.

Why hate on a team that so little was expected from? Most prognosticators picked them to finish last in the AL East prior to all the injuries, so yeah I'm drinking the kool-aid.

Even you can't deny that help, even if minor, is still coming. Jeter and our former All Star outfielder are both upgrades to what's presently out there. Rumor has it that (older than dirt) Michael Young might be acquired. There is no doubt that the Yankees need a big bat and they will try to acquire one.

I don't hate on this team. Actually, I'm hating on the ownership and Cashman who haven't made any worthy moves in the last two years. I'm simply being realistic when I say that being sellers at the deadline is the best coarse of action. There are way too many holes to fill. Yanks need to acquire at least 3 viable bats in order to become competitive. Those three bats won't come cheap. Reloading the team by dealing Kuroda and Cano will net Yanks young, impactful players for 2014+.

And really, will Young's 110 wRC+ and shitty defense aid this team? IF Amaro decides to sell. Who know wtf is going on in his basket case head.

I don't hate on this team. Actually, I'm hating on the ownership and Cashman who haven't made any worthy moves in the last two years. I'm simply being realistic when I say that being sellers at the deadline is the best coarse of action. There are way too many holes to fill. Yanks need to acquire at least 3 viable bats in order to become competitive. Those three bats won't come cheap. Reloading the team by dealing Kuroda and Cano will net Yanks young, impactful players for 2014+.

And really, will Young's 110 wRC+ and shitty defense aid this team? IF Amaro decides to sell. Who know wtf is going on in his basket case head.
Well said. Your earlier statement seemed like you were hating for the sake of hating but I wholeheartedly agree with the statement above. Ownership and Cashman have shat the bed over the last two years. It almost seems like after having struggled to find pitching, for almost a decade, they went too one sided. It also hasn't helped that Tex has been a shell of his former self, Arod broke down and Jeter is aging gracefully.

With that said, I do think that the Dodgers are the biggest threat to the Yankees way of business. They are being overly aggressive in Free Agency and I for one am not looking forward to competing with them for Cano's services.

Well said. Your earlier statement seemed like you were hating for the sake of hating but I wholeheartedly agree with the statement above. Ownership and Cashman have shat the bed over the last two years. It almost seems like after having struggled to find pitching, for almost a decade, they went too one sided. It also hasn't helped that Tex has been a shell of his former self, Arod broke down and Jeter is aging gracefully.

With that said, I do think that the Dodgers are the biggest threat to the Yankees way of business. They are being overly aggressive in Free Agency and I for one am not looking forward to competing with them for Cano's services.
The truth is arod, and jeter are done. I do not see them providing much help, without getting injured again. Tex is on the decline. Cano is overrated, he is a very good player, but he is going to command a heavy contract with long years, which will probably end up similar to the a-rod situation in the end.

The truth is arod, and jeter are done. I do not see them providing much help, without getting injured again. Tex is on the decline. Cano is overrated, he is a very good player, but he is going to command a heavy contract with long years, which will probably end up similar to the a-rod situation in the end.
Arod I agree. However, until I see Jeter fail for consecutive seasons I won't count him out. I've been blessed to see him play since 95 and you would be hard pressed to name many athletes who are better competitors than The Captain.

That said, they are both getting old and I never envisioned Jeter playing ss at 40 which looks like it will be the case.

EDIT: Also please explain how Cano is overrated...

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't say Cano is overrated. I think overhyped would be a more exact term to use for him. He's hitting free agency on the wrong side of 30 and it wouldn't surprise me if Jay-Z bamboozles 200 million dollars out of someone for him, when obviously he won't be worth that much. 

I wouldn't say Cano is overrated. I think overhyped would be a more exact term to use for him. He's hitting free agency on the wrong side of 30 and it wouldn't surprise me if Jay-Z bamboozles 200 million dollars out of someone for him, when obviously he won't be worth that much.
you guys thinks chris davis is legit? or will he go come back to earth next year, and go back to his texas rangers days.

I think he's legit. Obviously his numbers will even out. He still strikes out a lot and has been drawing less walks, but he's completely evolved since his days as a Ranger. 

He's basically Jose Bautista. The talents always been there but he had a bad approach at the plate. His approach has obviously improved but he still strikes out a ton. There is no way he will maintain his batting average above 300. His power is legit though. 

fuck yeah, Freddie Freeman!
I laughed at that. Of course, Puig will never have another chance at an All-Star game. Oh, wait...

Davis's power is legit. He did hit 33 HR last year as a part time fielder, and spent a good chunk of the season at a position he was very unfamiliar with.

I just find it hilarious that Freeman got 19 million votes in FIVE days. He definitely deserves a spot, even with the NL being pretty deep at 1B this year.

The Toronto Blue Jays (currently last place in the AL East) have 2 middle relievers in the All-Star game and yet Adrian Beltre, Josh Donaldson and Evan Longoria are gonna be sitting at home. 

The fall of the farm system is the worst part. I'm surprised that no heads were rolled following the selections of Culver and Bichette JR. Heathcott and Austin are not producing in AA. Sanchez is nice and everything, but he is repeating A ball and is not exactly destroying the level.

As for Cano, I want to stay far far away from him. He's been terrible against LHP for second straight year now. I can't justify giving a 30 year old 2B six plus years. Watching a 36 platoon third baseman Cano earn 20+ million would be scary. This is why I'm so pro moving Cano.

Chris Davis hit his 34th home run tonight. I'm wonder what the overall reaction will be with the situation if he makes a run and gets close to 61 or hell, even 73. Big long shot I know but you never know.

Anyone wanna start predicting what the exact number will be?
So suddenly the L.A media cares about the dodgers again. And I didn't even realize that luis cruz was a yankee now.Think the only one that noticed was the bench he warmed with the dodgers.

He's basically Jose Bautista. The talents always been there but he had a bad approach at the plate. His approach has obviously improved but he still strikes out a ton. There is no way he will maintain his batting average above 300. His power is legit though.
His batted ball profile actually could support a .300 average, provided he strikes out 25% of the time instead of 30%. He hits tons of line drives and flyballs, and since he has massive power, a good deal of those flyballs will leave the park.

Can't agree with the Bautista comp, though. Bautista was a decent hitter who had excellent walk rates and plate discipline in general, then did whatever he did to improve his power. Davis had a bad approach at the plate and refined it.

Got a Vita and one of the first things I looked for in the PS Store was a MLB.tv app. Disappointed. :( On the plus side, ordered MLB 13 The Show for it for $20.

Ogando and Lewis can't get back soon enough. I can't wait to see Tepesch and Grimm on their way back to Round Rock. Tired of seeing them go 5 and give up 5.

Anyone wanna start predicting what the exact number will be?
So suddenly the L.A media cares about the dodgers again. And I didn't even realize that luis cruz was a yankee now.Think the only one that noticed was the bench he warmed with the dodgers.
He hit 35 tonight. I'll guess 58. He will fold down the stretch. I hope he hits 61 though.

So far Man Ram is raking in AAA. If he keeps hitting, I would not be surprised to see him come up. Especially with Berkman hurting.

Lincecum has a no hitter going through 7, but he's at 114 pitches.

edit: Still going through 8. 131 pitches. Pence made an amazing catch for the last out in the 8th.

edit: He finished it. 148 pitches, 13 strikeouts, 4 walks.

So Andrelton Simmons made a wide throw to first, Freddie Freeman reaches into the runner's path to catch it, and jams his thumb. He won't play in the All-Star game. Brian McCann will be his replacement. I'm sure that will thrill all the Puig fans.

Anybody watch the Home Run Derby? Why does ESPN always schedule it for 2 hours when it always runs 3?

Liked the Softball game. Normally watch it mainly for Jennie Finch, but Ashanti had the best uni ever on. I do wish Gary Thorne or Kenny Mayne were announcers though.

Look at his stats for the past two years.
Tim Lincecum this year: 4.26 ERA 3.34 FIP 3.25 xFIP

NL League Average: 3.77 ERA 3.81 FIP 3.88 xFIP

Timmy is a league average/ slightly above average pitcher. He's also improved in every category from last year, higher K/9, lower BB/9, higher GB%, lower HR/9, etc. I think he's still adopting to his lost velocity. Looking to see even more improvements in the second half, Timmy is one of my favorite players.

I'd love to see Yanks trade for him if they are going for contention this year and Giants choose to sell. Maybe Austin/Williams + Nuno and a fringe prospect for Timmy and Sandoval's contract?

This Neil Diamond bullshit might be the lamest thing I've ever seen at a baseball game.

Especially if you compare it to this awesome Rivera moment.

This Neil Diamond bullshit might be the lamest thing I've ever seen at a baseball game.

Especially if you compare it to this awesome Rivera moment.

They should give Metallica the MVP award because no one else deserves it so far.

I think Harvey has had the best performance, but there's no way he's winning it if the NL loses.

I agree but I'd give it to McCutchen since him stealing base was the most exciting thing that has happened. But that doesn't mean he deserves it.
They will probably give it to Mo since they have been hyping him all day.

bread's done
Back