2013 Thrift Store Thread

[quote name='my2k2zx2']5 screw has a chance there is a 60 to 72 pin Famicom adapter. I think if they are flathead screws instead of security screws the chance is higher.[/QUOTE]

Just popped it open.. no famicom adapter :cry:

[quote name='stiner']Yeah, I've been hunting for the first movie for months now and all of a sudden I get 4 in the course of a month.[/QUOTE]

The Gods decided to award you for your perseverance. :lol:

[quote name='strawyleader997']I only have 2 goodwills near me and they are always picked over(I dont go too often though).[/QUOTE]

Word around the Thread is that Sunday was a good day to visit the Stores. :lol:

Just gotta keep visiting the stores and you'll find a gem on one of those days. During the summer, I managed to find some Skylander Figures for $1.99 + 50% Off and some other neat stuff.

[quote name='strawyleader997']I only have 2 goodwills near me and they are always picked over(I dont go too often though).[/QUOTE]

The only advice I can give that has worked well for me (other than going every day, which can get both tedious and disheartening) is to pay attention to the dates on the tags, and see which days of the week are more popular for restocking.

Sunday is usually a safe bet since Saturday's are one of the busiest days (they need to restock their shelves afterwards), though for one of my locals, Tuesday for some reason is when they restock the most, and I've found my best finds on those days. Really it's all about consistency, and eventually you'll find something decent.

Decided to try my luck at goodwill again and I'm glad I did. I actually feel kinda bad I got this deal.
Little brother needed a ds case and I wasn't going to buy him a brand new one. I paid 2.99 and I got home and opened it and here's what was inside.
imag02981.jpg

Looking back on it, i'm surprised the cashier didn't open up the case when I checked out. I'm probably going to keep all of them except for Mario and Sonic.

[quote name='trollape74']Decided to try my luck at goodwill again and I'm glad I did. I actually feel kinda bad I got this deal.
Little brother needed a ds case and I wasn't going to buy him a brand new one. I paid 2.99 and I got home and opened it and here's what was inside.
imag02981.jpg

Looking back on it, i'm surprised the cashier didn't open up the case when I checked out. I'm probably going to keep all of them except for Mario and Sonic.[/QUOTE]

nice! there's no need to feel bad about that. If you hadn't bought it they probably would have been stolen by the end of the day.

That's awesome. I always get excited over stuff like that. Just the other week, I bought my son a Blue's Clues game and there was a copy of Pokémon TCG for PC in the case. fuck yeah.

[quote name='trollape74']Decided to try my luck at goodwill again and I'm glad I did. I actually feel kinda bad I got this deal.
imag02981.jpg

Looking back on it, i'm surprised the cashier didn't open up the case when I checked out. I'm probably going to keep all of them except for Mario and Sonic.[/QUOTE]

Dude one time one of the older ladies where I used to work sent a cib copy of Spyro for the gba up to the register to sell in the showcase. I opened it up, full gba games. She marked it at $1...

It sold as soon as a customer seen me open it. Do not feel bad about this. This was a lack of knowledge on the store's behalf. The cashier will be fine and at no risk of losing her job.

Always, always check your cases when buying. You may get some extras, from stacked discs to memory cards.

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']The only advice I can give that has worked well for me (other than going every day, which can get both tedious and disheartening) is to pay attention to the dates on the tags, and see which days of the week are more popular for restocking.

Sunday is usually a safe bet since Saturday's are one of the busiest days (they need to restock their shelves afterwards), though for one of my locals, Tuesday for some reason is when they restock the most, and I've found my best finds on those days. Really it's all about consistency, and eventually you'll find something decent.[/QUOTE]

Sunday is the last day for the stores to meet budget. They're working extra hard to put stuff out. The store I worked at, we hung less clothes on Sunday, and sorted more wares.

I always check the game cases to make sure discs are inside since a lot of them get stolen near me. I still don't know why I didn't check while in the store but it sure made for a nice surprise.

First great thrift store haul!!

Drove 2 hours south today for something and hit a random thrift store on the way back.

Picked up

Super Smash Bros. N64: $4
Donkey Kong 64: $4

And 2 HUGE boxes of Atari and colecovision stuff. Haven't looked through it all yet, but there are about 50 games, a colecovision console, a ton of controllers, an Atari xe, a 7800, I think a 5200, and some other Texas Instruments games. All for $40

The guy at the store was extremely nice and it was cool to visit a thrift store with a down to earth employee and non jacked-up prices

[quote name='Eagle3ye']First great thrift store haul!!

Drove 2 hours south today for something and hit a random thrift store on the way back.

Picked up

Super Smash Bros. N64: $4
Donkey Kong 64: $4

And 2 HUGE boxes of Atari and colecovision stuff. Haven't looked through it all yet, but there are about 50 games, a colecovision console, a ton of controllers, an Atari xe, a 7800, I think a 5200, and some other Texas Instruments games. All for $40

The guy at the store was extremely nice and it was cool to visit a thrift store with a down to earth employee and non jacked-up prices[/QUOTE]

Great finds! Post some pictures if you get a chance, would love to see whatcha got in the boxes of Atari and Colecovision stuff.

found a good condition Dreamcast controller with memory card and a Dreamcast av cable today, paid $7 total

I found this to be quite humorous today. I started gathering everything for my taxes and rounded up all of my receipts and these are my receipts just from Goodwill last year. This isn't even all of them. Some had gotten wet, messed up and otherwise illegible before I could get them filed and were thrown out:

There are hundreds there to go through, and I can't wait to add it all up and see just how much I've spent just at Goodwill in the past year.

And before anyone asks, yes, I'm filing quarterly from now on. :hot:

[quote name='Olengie']^ At first, I thought it was a wad of cash. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Hah, I wish. That's probably the wad equivalent of what I'm going to owe this year. :lol:

[quote name='sp00ge']I found this to be quite humorous today. I started gathering everything for my taxes and rounded up all of my receipts and these are my receipts just from Goodwill last year. This isn't even all of them. Some had gotten wet, messed up and otherwise illegible before I could get them filed and were thrown out:

There are hundreds there to go through, and I can't wait to add it all up and see just how much I've spent just at Goodwill in the past year.

And before anyone asks, yes, I'm filing quarterly from now on. :hot:[/QUOTE]

What is the point of keeping all your goodwill receipts? Seems rather point less and a waste of time just to know how much you spent. Don't get why you'd need them for tax purposes either.

[quote name='needler420']What is the point of keeping all your goodwill receipt. Seems rather point less and a waste of time just to know how much you spent. Don't get why you'd need them for tax purposes either.[/QUOTE]

I'm a reseller, and it's all a part of business. The only difference is I have a CPA taking over this year, instead of dealing with it myself,

[quote name='needler420']What is the point of keeping all your goodwill receipts? Seems rather point less and a waste of time just to know how much you spent. Don't get why you'd need them for tax purposes either.[/QUOTE]

I don't itemize my taxes, but my understanding is if you do so, and get audited, you will need all those receipts to prove to the IRS that your deductions are legitimate.

[quote name='spmahn']I don't itemize my taxes, but my understanding is if you do so, and get audited, you will need all those receipts to prove to the IRS that your deductions are legitimate.[/QUOTE]

It's normally not worthwhile to itemize your deduction unless you have spent alot via sales tax, or you were really sick and can deduct medical

[quote name='spmahn']I don't itemize my taxes, but my understanding is if you do so, and get audited, you will need all those receipts to prove to the IRS that your deductions are legitimate.[/QUOTE]

Even if you got audited nothing about goodwill purchases has anything to do with taxes.

I think if you make donations you can use them as a write off but as far as purchases that should only be for personal use.

That is like keeping all your gamestop receipts or receipts from eating out, nothing about that has to do with your taxes.

[quote name='needler420']Even if you got audited nothing about goodwill purchases has anything to do with taxes.

I think if you make donations you can use them as a write off but as far as purchases that should only be for personal use.

That is like keeping all your gamestop receipts or receipts from eating out, nothing about that has to do with your taxes.[/QUOTE]

I think the point is that it's his primary income. So he needs to know how much profit he made, so he can legally pay taxes on his profit.

[quote name='elessar123']I think the point is that it's his primary income. So he needs to know how much profit he made, so he can legally pay taxes on his profit.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I resell online full-time (technically, part-time, since I'm also a stay-at-home dad), and ~95% of the things I buy from GW are business-related, and I need them to calculate and possibly prove, in the case of an audit, my gross profit. The stuff I sell doesn't just magically appear, and the purchase of the merchandise is a business expense.

Unfortunately, we were sloppy with our record-keeping this year (new baby really throws a wrench in the operation), so I have to go through the receipts one by one to make sure I pull the receipts that weren't 100% business related.

[quote name='needler420']Even if you got audited nothing about goodwill purchases has anything to do with taxes.

That is like keeping all your gamestop receipts or receipts from eating out, nothing about that has to do with your taxes.[/QUOTE]

If you itemize your deductions, one of which can be sales tax

Line 5
You can elect to deduct state
and local general sales taxes
instead of state and local income taxes. You cannot deduct both.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040.pdf

Kovorkian is 100% correct on the above and cites the IRS, no one needs a CPA for reading comprehension.

Also, just as a general caveat, the home office deduction is one of the top 5 audit flags for 1040s, so make sure you go through the IRS's tests before claiming it.

Spooge, do you resell primarily on Ebay? i'm getting tired of the 13% off the top.

[quote name='Peep']Look at the CPA's in here thinking they know what they are talking about. gtfo[/QUOTE]

I actually majored was Accounting >.> also I linked right to the page in which the information can be found

Edit: spelling

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']Kovorkian is 100% correct on the above and cites the IRS, no one needs a CPA for reading comprehension.

Also, just as a general caveat, the home office deduction is one of the top 5 audit flags for 1040s, so make sure you go through the IRS's tests before claiming it.

Spooge, do you resell primarily on Ebay? i'm getting tired of the 13% off the top.[/QUOTE]

I'm hiring a CPA this year just because I don't have the time to deal with the details, between selling, kids and home repairs/maintenance.

I'm not even bothering with deducting for home office, since I use it for more than business. I do have a laptop solely dedicated to printing and shipping orders, though.

I sell primarily on Amazon, with the occasional eBay sale on things that are restricted or otherwise unlistable on AZ. Fees suck, but at least Amazon only gets you once, unlike the eBay/PayPal tag team.

[quote name='Kovorkian']I actually majored was Accounting >.> also I linked right to the page in which the information can be found

Edit: spelling[/QUOTE]

not you, the fucking idiots questioning receipts.

[quote name='zekeike']I found this today at the Goodwill for 99 cents. In good shape and seems complete.
[/QUOTE]

Nice. I've found about 3 or 4 Neverhoods at various thrifts through the years, never complete though.

Although, all that picture does is make me sad my original box got thrown away, along with 99% of my game boxes. Thanks a lot mom. :cry:

[quote name='sp00ge']Exactly. I resell online full-time (technically, part-time, since I'm also a stay-at-home dad), and ~95% of the things I buy from GW are business-related, and I need them to calculate and possibly prove, in the case of an audit, my gross profit. The stuff I sell doesn't just magically appear, and the purchase of the merchandise is a business expense.

Unfortunately, we were sloppy with our record-keeping this year (new baby really throws a wrench in the operation), so I have to go through the receipts one by one to make sure I pull the receipts that weren't 100% business related.[/QUOTE]

My CPA sucks. Shes had my information since January, and nothing..

Keeping all the receipts is such a pain though. I just tell myself it would be like throwing money away if I don't hold onto these.

[quote name='evuong']Found these below at various thrift stores this past week. NES games were $1, Atari & N64 games were $2, disc-based games were $3.50
1q4vo7.jpg

Some guy responded to my craigslist ad for the NES games.. $5 for all of them. The rest are from a goodwill I normally don't go to, but looks like I need to go more often.. All games were $4 each
2194bnq.jpg

Got these at a gamers exchange at eStarland. Paid $40 for everything from various vendors.. Pretty happy with Zoda's Revenge--CIB
2nqg75.jpg
[/QUOTE]
What are the two Atari titles to the left?

Had a pretty good score today at Savers. I got the Zelda Ocarina of Time manga Vol 1, Pokemon Black/White Pokedex, Pokemon Gold/Silver Guide, Super Mario Sunshine guide, Mortal Kombat 1 & 2 guide, Diddy Kong Racing guide, Lost Odyssey, Halo 3, ODST and Reach guides. They had a buy 4 get 1 free sale on books and wanted $2.99 each but I managed to get them down to 99 cents each after a little negotiating so I walked out with the stack for under $8.

[quote name='ChuckT']What are the two Atari titles to the left?[/QUOTE]

Space master x7( a more uncommon one?) and tapeworm

I thought I'd go home empty-handed yesterday, until I noticed the little sack in the electronics section with all the Gyromite parts in it! Both gyros, both stands, ROB's motor and one of his pointy little hands. I can only assume his other hand is attached to his arm, which was unfortunately nowhere to be found. I showed the people there a pic of ROB and explained these were all parts of a larger item, and asked them to let me know if he showed up, but I'm not holding my breath. Got the whole sack for $2 though, so I'm not complaining.

I ran into a Pikachu N64 yesterday, came with a few good games like Zelda OOT, Mario 64, Goldeneye and Mario Party 2, but was missing the matching controller. They wanted $90 for it, which, while it seems steep, was a pretty fair price. I just couldn't pull the trigger, though.

I did find another complete copy of Pokemon Colosseum for $3. Other than that, it's been a slow week. :/

it's been slow around here recently too, yesterday i found an official orange gamecube controller for $6

today I saw 3 official gamecube controllers at a store for $4 each, upon close inspection they were all missing pieces or were scratched to hell, i passed.

Found what looks to be a brand new Lite Brite today for 3.99. Love this thread. Im sorry if this wasn't video game related. I do have a couple questions.

1. Could anyone tell me about a market for books? Does anyone resell them? And, if so, what is your preferred site to sell them?

2. Same question for cameras. Any brands to look out for?

If you don't want to reveal your tips in the thread throw me a PM. Thanks guys! Keep up the great hunt.

bread's done
Back