2013 Thrift Store Thread

[quote name='trollape74']Looks clean and turns on though.[/QUOTE]
Which is more than you can say about most of the girls I've brought home in the past.

My friends found Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64 and 1080 all in box at a Savers in NH this weekend... that's what I get for not going I guess :/ only $10 each too iirc.

The OoT box was near mint, Mario and 1080 were in decent shape.

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']Nice finds, did you happen to go on an off weekend day for the pick ups? If you have some competition in your area, you may need to go more regularly, especially if the items you picked up were dated (if your GW / Savers dates the tags) on or nearly the same day.[/QUOTE]

I went this past Saturday around 5pm, and the tags were done same day. One of the employees told me I should have been there earlier because there was a lot more of a selection of older titles. Seems to make sense that Saturdays and Sundays are prime days to go though.

[quote name='ProtoEXE88']My friends found Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64 and 1080 all in box at a Savers in NH this weekend... that's what I get for not going I guess :/ only $10 each too iirc.

The OoT box was near mint, Mario and 1080 were in decent shape.[/QUOTE]

Damn it :/

[quote name='Jnova80']Good stuff today!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aroCd_6wwE[/QUOTE]

Nice! I wonder how rare-ish games end up at Goodwill. Someone obviously goes out of their way for the .hack games and magically they turn up at Goodwill?

Side note - I had an insane yard sale find near the end of the year last year with a ton of good PSX rpg's and I still wonder if the kid moved out on bad terms or (worse). Anyone will the slightest bit of internet skiil would look up a few games value before they donated them. I would imagine a parent would call his/her children before donating or selling a collection they've worked for years to collect.

Nothing gaming-related, but I picked up a few cool things at Goodwill the other day:
201303pickups5.jpg

I only bought the Santa because I thought it might be worth something, but it doesn't look like I can get much for it. It's still kinda neat, though, despite my aversion to bobbleheads. The car was a must for me. As soon as I laid eyes on it, I immediately recognized it as a VHS rewinder. When I was a kid, I was always so jealous of people who had one of these.

This next item doesn't work quite as well as I was hoping, but it's still a great novelty item:
201303pickups6.jpg

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']Nice! I wonder how rare-ish games end up at Goodwill. Someone obviously goes out of their way for the .hack games and magically they turn up at Goodwill?
[/QUOTE]

I was wondering the same thing. This guy was obviously a serious collector. I'm thinking either he moved and left them behind and maybe his parents decided to donate them, or (hopefully NOT this) he died. I always think I have some dead guy's stuff whenever I find awesome things at thrift stores. haha

[quote name='Jnova80']I was wondering the same thing. This guy was obviously a serious collector. I'm thinking either he moved and left them behind and maybe his parents decided to donate them, or (hopefully NOT this) he died. I always think I have some dead guy's stuff whenever I find awesome things at thrift stores. haha[/QUOTE]

That's my assumption whenever I find huge scores of collectibles that obviously came from the same place. It may be morbid, but meh, it's a realistic assumption.

[quote name='sp00ge']That's my assumption whenever I find huge scores of collectibles that obviously came from the same place. It may be morbid, but meh, it's a realistic assumption.[/QUOTE]

There are only four real possibilities... lets be real, the average person doesn't have a bunch of Atlus games or rare RPGs. When you find that sort of score it is very rarely just some random person. Now you can find one rare game by coincidence. For example, anyone could randomly have gotten a Persona 2, or a Suikoden 2, or a .hack part 4, or even a Turbografx. But to have like 5 Atlus titles or something like that? They should at least know it isn't worthless. My ideas:

1. They used to be a hardcore gamer (but not really a collector) years ago but got out of it years ago and just noticed their old games around the house. Certainly possible... but most of these people would be the types to know they might be worth something. I think this is rare.
2. Someone made their wife/husband/significant other/sibling/etc. really mad. Also a possibility but I would think that would be someone who would take it to a pawn shop and get some cash more likely. You never know though, this may be easier.
3. Gone off to college and their parents thought they didn't want it anymore. This makes sense with newer stuff like PS2/Gamecube/Xbox/DS/PSP/etc. A bit less likely with older stuff than that though as they wouldn't be going off to college at this point most likely. You never know, maybe they moved out of state and not to college or something... but less likely.
4. They died and their family has no idea what it's worth.

Really... I can't think of any other real possibilities...

[quote name='Bing147']Really... I can't think of any other real possibilities...[/QUOTE]
Kind of branches off of the second possibility, but getting married / moving in together with SO. The non-gamer thinks why have all these things taking up space when they aren't being used, and either ninja-donate, or give an ultimatum on getting rid of them ASAP.

Option one may be more relevant than you think, as there are many people that just don't feel comfortable selling games on Ebay / Amazon / CL, and don't want to bother with used game trade in credit. Donating is incredibly easy by comparison for them.

[quote name='ZombieToast']The car was a must for me. As soon as I laid eyes on it, I immediately recognized it as a VHS rewinder. When I was a kid, I was always so jealous of people who had one of these.[/QUOTE]
My uncle had one of those Car VHS rewinders, I don't know why I was so enamored with it as a kid, but at the time it just seemed so cool (to an 8 year old that is).

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']My uncle had one of those Car VHS rewinders, I don't know why I was so enamored with it as a kid, but at the time it just seemed so cool (to an 8 year old that is).[/QUOTE]
My aunt had one and I was insanely jealous because we couldn't afford such a luxury. Plus, you know, it looked like a fucking car.

[quote name='ZombieToast']Which is more than you can say about most of the girls I've brought home in the past.[/QUOTE]
:lol: sometimes I feel dirty after digging through some of these bins. Reminds me of the time my little brother found a bra while rummaging in the plush bin. Anyways found two TI-89 calculators.
imag0354vx.jpg

Got both for $6. Just gotta get rid of the hello kitty stickers. One of them has a broken battery cover so I'm keeping that one for school and selling the other.

[quote name='trollape74']:lol: sometimes I feel dirty after digging through some of these bins. Reminds me of the time my little brother found a bra while rummaging in the plush bin. Anyways found two TI-89 calculators.
imag0354vx.jpg

Got both for $6. Just gotta get rid of the hello kitty stickers. One of them has a broken battery cover so I'm keeping that one for school and selling the other.[/QUOTE]

Bah, that'a nothing. A few years ago, while looking through the seasonal department of a local thrift (Red White and Blue), I found what looked like a pretty cool looking severed hand. I turned it over and printed on it was the company name "Doc Johnson."
I threw it to the ground and went to the bathroom to wash my hands. If you don't get it, Google at your own discretion.
Doc Johnson makes sex toys, and that was a rubber fist used for some pretty wild activities. I can only assume it was used :puke:

A few months ago, at my local Goodwill, I also found another Doc Johnson product, Mint flavored jel (the name is being left out to not offend). It was half empty. Fortunately, I knew what it was when I spotted it this time, so I didn't touch it. I did, however, get one of the old ladies that worked there and had to explain to her what it was, that it is clearly used and shouldn't be out for some random kid to pick up. That was fun trying to explain what it was... :whistle2:#

But back on-topic, the only good find I've had this week was a copy of NBA 2K13 :ps3: for 4.99. I almost took to down the street to trade to Best Buy for $24, but I decided to take it home and try it out first. I haven't played a basketball game since NBA Jam in the Genesis.

[quote name='trollape74']:lol: sometimes I feel dirty after digging through some of these bins. Reminds me of the time my little brother found a bra while rummaging in the plush bin. Anyways found two TI-89 calculators.
imag0354vx.jpg

Got both for $6. Just gotta get rid of the hello kitty stickers. One of them has a broken battery cover so I'm keeping that one for school and selling the other.[/QUOTE]

I've found quite a few of those before...real easy flip

[quote name='sp00ge']I shoplifted it. Stuck it right up my ass and walked out. :applause:[/QUOTE]

It must have recently been excreted, I always knew you had something stuck up your butt as a mod. >_< I kid I kid, you're a much better person from when you were a mod.

Hit the local Goodwill today before work, since it's right next door. Didn't have much of anything. Some crummy sports games. Went to the back to see if they had any good books or electronics, of course not. But then sitting on a random table on the way out, I found a black 1st party Gamecube controller for only $2. The left analog stick is stripped of the rubber, but it works nicely.

[quote name='Shabow']What's weird is that my Goodwill is very, very picky about putting all of their games in the glass case. It seems like none of their inventory turns over in the case. As for the consoles, if I don't see them next time I'm in there I'll ask someone to go back in the back and look for them. (if they're even there) My store has a pretty helpful worker that will go back and look for stuff for you. :)[/QUOTE]

So it's been over a week and I still haven't seen the systems put out on the floor. They're all just sitting there on a cart in the back right by the swinging doors. I asked the cashier what the deal was with them just sitting there and if I could buy them. She just gave me a sad look and said that they're all being sold online at shopgoodwill.com. I'm not happy to say the least and I can't seem to find the systems on the site to maybe even bid on them. :cry:

Busy week for me, but managed to hit some thrift stores.

Local thrift shop had all of these games for $2 - $2.50 a piece.. Anybody know anything about this dungeon siege NFR?Is it worth anything? Also, passed on a $10 gameboy SP with no charger
Gameboy games = pokemon red, crystal, gold, donkey kong country, zeldas, dragon warrior monsters 2
2lviji0.jpg

Goodwill Finds-- Genesis games were $3, all others were $4
2ury0bd.jpg

Traded some guy on Craigslist a TI-83 I got at GW for these games + $25
rhvdxg.jpg

was digging through the newer stuff in a tub at my local Goodwill. (stuff that hadnt been put out yet / was JUST about to be put out.) I found Mario Party and Mario Kart 64 for the N64 (3.59 each) and a big ziploc bag of n64 controllers. The controllers were, however, marked at 44.99...

I was bummed until I started looking more into the tub. I pull out another big ziploc bag and this one was a black wii (cords etc), w/ 2 nunchucks, 2 wiimotes, and a charging station. Keeping in mind the 44.99 price tag on the n64 controllers I wasnt holding my breath. Then I turned the bag over. 14.99. Boom. could not BELIEVE that I found a complete wii for that much. even found wii sports resort in the tub for 3.59 after. Probably one of my best Goodwill hauls. and the crazy thing is...I wasnt even going to go because I thought itd be a waste of time.

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']was digging through the newer stuff in a tub at my local Goodwill. (stuff that hadnt been put out yet / was JUST about to be put out.) I found Mario Party and Mario Kart 64 for the N64 (3.59 each) and a big ziploc bag of n64 controllers. The controllers were, however, marked at 44.99...

I was bummed until I started looking more into the tub. I pull out another big ziploc bag and this one was a black wii (cords etc), w/ 2 nunchucks, 2 wiimotes, and a charging station. Keeping in mind the 44.99 price tag on the n64 controllers I wasnt holding my breath. Then I turned the bag over. 14.99. Boom. could not BELIEVE that I found a complete wii for that much. even found wii sports resort in the tub for 3.59 after. Probably one of my best Goodwill hauls. and the crazy thing is...I wasnt even going to go because I thought itd be a waste of time.[/QUOTE]
Sometimes I feel like that but then I get scared that i'll miss something good. I go mon-thurs since it's on my way home from school. I sometimes go on sunday if I'm not doing anything.

[quote name='sp00ge']Bah, that'a nothing. A few years ago, while looking through the seasonal department of a local thrift (Red White and Blue), I found what looked like a pretty cool looking severed hand. I turned it over and printed on it was the company name "Doc Johnson."
I threw it to the ground and went to the bathroom to wash my hands. If you don't get it, Google at your own discretion.
Doc Johnson makes sex toys, and that was a rubber fist used for some pretty wild activities. I can only assume it was used :puke:

A few months ago, at my local Goodwill, I also found another Doc Johnson product, Mint flavored jel (the name is being left out to not offend). It was half empty. Fortunately, I knew what it was when I spotted it this time, so I didn't touch it. I did, however, get one of the old ladies that worked there and had to explain to her what it was, that it is clearly used and shouldn't be out for some random kid to pick up. That was fun trying to explain what it was... :whistle2:#

But back on-topic, the only good find I've had this week was a copy of NBA 2K13 :ps3: for 4.99. I almost took to down the street to trade to Best Buy for $24, but I decided to take it home and try it out first. I haven't played a basketball game since NBA Jam in the Genesis.[/QUOTE]

you should ad "semi NSFW" next to that :cry:

[quote name='evuong']Busy week for me, but managed to hit some thrift stores.

Local thrift shop had all of these games for $2 - $2.50 a piece.. Anybody know anything about this dungeon siege NFR?Is it worth anything? Also, passed on a $10 gameboy SP with no charger
Gameboy games = pokemon red, crystal, gold, donkey kong country, zeldas, dragon warrior monsters 2

Goodwill Finds-- Genesis games were $3, all others were $4

Traded some guy on Craigslist a TI-83 I got at GW for these games + $25
[/QUOTE]

I'm jealous with all the pokemon games and dragon warrior you got. I need to really hit up thrift stores again but everything around me has crappy stuff.

You guys are making me think that I should start to look at my goodwill and Thrift shops around here. I don't know what to look for though. I see most people are buying old games (N64, Gameboy, etc.) I know all about new systems and stuff like that but I am out of the loop on older ones.

Seems like Pokemon and general JRPG stuff is the hot commodity. Anything else that you would recommend. I am only asking for broad range items not specifics.

[quote name='boosted02gt']You guys are making me think that I should start to look at my goodwill and Thrift shops around here. I don't know what to look for though. I see most people are buying old games (N64, Gameboy, etc.) I know all about new systems and stuff like that but I am out of the loop on older ones.

Seems like Pokemon and general JRPG stuff is the hot commodity. Anything else that you would recommend. I am only asking for broad range items not specifics.[/QUOTE]

Generally anything mario/zelda/pokemon will be worth money. I will almost always buy any non sports games if they are less than $2. And when in doubt, just check prices on eBay

Not real recent but was still in 2013 so it counts. Picked up Sparkster on SNES and Battletoads/Double Dragon for $3 each at my local Goodwill (or as I call it, the G-dubs). Flipped them for $30 and $40 respectively to start saving for the upcoming city-wide yard sales.

[quote name='boosted02gt']You guys are making me think that I should start to look at my goodwill and Thrift shops around here. I don't know what to look for though. I see most people are buying old games (N64, Gameboy, etc.) I know all about new systems and stuff like that but I am out of the loop on older ones.

Seems like Pokemon and general JRPG stuff is the hot commodity. Anything else that you would recommend. I am only asking for broad range items not specifics.[/QUOTE]
If you have a smart phone and can browse the intrawebs (I'm assuming that's most all of them) while you shop, www.vgpc.com will be your best friend.

But yes, my general rule is if it's $3 or under and not a sports game, it is worth a look, especially if it's a complete copy of the game.

[quote name='evuong'] Anybody know anything about this dungeon siege NFR?Is it worth anything? [/QUOTE]

It seems to just be a company store purchase, which is actually worth less because of that big sticker Microsoft uses. If that had been a "Marketing Gold" or something similar, than it would have had additional value. Company store versions are identical to the retail versions (except they have a huge sticker on them).

Thanks for the site but it just made me sad to see the things I used to have as a kid that I trashed out or gave away. Oh well I wouldn't have kept it for all these years anyways.

Today, I found 13 ps1 games, 1 ps1 demo disk. Also 5 ps2 games.
Nothing that great, but it was worth it since the ps1 stuff was $1 each, and ps2 games $2 each. All from goodwill :)

Well a pretty major score today. Some vintage in the package GI Joe Adventure Team Accessories Brand new in the packages, about 7 sets complete. Just one of the comics in the unopened package goes for about $300. Holy fucking shit! I never thought I'd find original GI JOe stuff brand new. I spent less than $30 for all of it.

savers:
1 dreamcast controller for 3 bucks,
MDK2 (DC) 3 bucks (also had an extra Vigilante 8 2nd offense disc inside as well)
Hydro Thunder 3 bucks
Draconus Cult of the Wyrm 3 bucks
Virtual On Oratorio 3 bucks (unfortunately there was a SF Rush 2049 disc inside instead, but bought it anyway for the case and manual)
super smash bros melee 2 bucks,

Goodwill:
sonic and knuckles 2.50,
NCAA Basketball 10 (360) 6 bucks.

MY GOD did that basketball game shoot up in price...its INSANE. the cheapest is 69 bucks on amazon...what in the hell is going on. I know how this was the last EA NCAA basketball game, but even still...its only 40 bucks at gamestop...why the giant price difference...and heck even if it is the last NCAA game...its still 3 years old at this point. I guess March Madness is more than just a tourney lol...

Went to a Goodwill on Wednesday.

20130315_161721_zpsc318f64a.jpg

Went to my monthly trip to the Goodwill of Anaheim. (Don't visit much unless my Mom and I have to go the 99 Ranch Market). Typically a hit or miss. But this time, I think it was a hit. I looked through the DVD Container thing, and I managed to find Seasons 1-4 of Supernatural. Sealed, complete with Best Buy Stickers. The Price, 6.99 each. Too bad it wasn't a Blue Tag, otherwise it would've been 50%. I also saw a few Dead Zones Seasons. But I wasn't that interested in it. Someone just've donated a part of their collection. Or just never got to it. Haha. And now, to get Seasons 5-8 when I have the chance. :lol:
20130315_161848_zps5f47d34b.jpg
I've been watching a lot of Super Sentai and Kamen Rider lately (Power Rangers and Masked Rider in the States). Saw this, and decided to pick it up. It was only a $1. I also want a Kamen Rider Belt so I can say "Heshin!" and do the transformation pose. :lol:

So, I can't remember which thread I saw it in, but I remember reading on here about NCAA Basketball 10 being really rare and hard to find. Didn't think much of it until I found a copy today. Looked it up on my phone really quickly and sure enough, there's some value to it. Picked it up for $7 from Half-Price with my discount. Not a bad little score.

Amazing day!

Atomic green n64 with all cords and one grey official controller: 19.99
Resident Evil 2 (n64): 4.99
Donkey Kong 64: 4.99
Doom 64: 3.99
F-Zero X: 2.99

Star Wars Racer (DC): 1.99
Mortal Kombat Gold (dc):1.99
Marvel vs Capcom (dc): 1.99

Shining Force 2 (gen) 1.99
Splatterhouse 3 (gen): 1.99

Metroid 2 (gb): 3.99
Duck Tales (gb): 3.99
Zelda Links Awakening DX (gbc): 3.99

Tomb Raider Anniversary (wii): 1.99

Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3 (gc): 1.99
Goldeneye Rogue Agent (gc): 1.99
James Bond Nightfire (gc): 1.99
Metroid Prime (gc) 1.99

God of War: 1.99
God of War 2: 1.99

[quote name='Bing147']Amazing day!

Metroid Prime (gc) 1.99

God of War 2: 1.99[/QUOTE]

Great finds, congrats! Where did you pick these all up at?

I did alright at a Habitat For Humanity thrift shop today. I didn't even know these existed, but saw it nearby on Yelp and had to check it out. I picked up five NES titles for $10: Rad Racer, Pinball, Baseball, Rolling Thunder, and Star Tropics. Two out of the five had NES sleeves.

[quote name='TheHeef']So, I can't remember which thread I saw it in, but I remember reading on here about NCAA Basketball 10 being really rare and hard to find. Didn't think much of it until I found a copy today. Looked it up on my phone really quickly and sure enough, there's some value to it. Picked it up for $7 from Half-Price with my discount. Not a bad little score.[/QUOTE]

March Madness. Prices always shoot up this month and then crash until the next season. Same thing happens with College Hoops (2K8?).

[quote name='Bing147']Amazing day!

Metroid Prime (gc) 1.99

God of War 2: 1.99[/QUOTE]

Son of a...I need to relocate!

[quote name='Doomstink']March Madness. Prices always shoot up this month and then crash until the next season. Same thing happens with College Hoops (2K8?).[/QUOTE]

I'm counting on it, but I thought I heard somewhere about the NCAA 10 being the last one they made. Don't know the truth, but hell, if I can make a few extra bucks, I'll play along.

March has been pretty good so far for me.

102_0874_zpsf9444a9d.jpg

I now have guides for both version of Twilight princess. Also really happy to get a complete copy of DDR Mario's Mix for only $15.

102_0919_zpsc36bc3f3.jpg

I believe Nocturne is still sealed, there are two circular stickers on the top and bottom. If anyone knows anything please let me know. I grabbed it thinking I may play it but who am I kidding...I hate pc gaming.

102_0888_zpsd01491ab.jpg

More holes filled in my ps2 collection.

102_0884_zpsf9dd0740.jpg

Finally found a working PSone. I already had a controller that matches so I went ahead and grabbed it, now to track down a screen. All the gameboy games were $1 each.

[quote name='stiner']
102_0919_zpsc36bc3f3.jpg

I believe Nocturne is still sealed, there are two circular stickers on the top and bottom. If anyone knows anything please let me know. I grabbed it thinking I may play it but who am I kidding...I hate pc gaming.
[/QUOTE]
That sounds sealed.
I don't remember exactly how it was when I first picked it up when it came out (I wish I still had the box :( ), but I remember the circular stickers are typical for PC games of that time.

Seems the going price for it on amazon and ebay sealed is about $30.

I was able to pull a few small finds over Friday including a wonderful, CIB copy of Parasite Eve 2 for 3 bucks that I almost walked by because it was covered up pretty well. I also pulled a CIB Edgar Allen Poe action figure for 1.91, which is a great deal if you see what they retail for. Unfortunately, most of my usual spots have been dry lately, and the reason I got the game was because I went to a Goodwill that I never go to in the first place lol.

8565129438_43a2fbe40a.jpg

bread's done
Back