2013 Thrift Store Thread

[quote name='mguiddy']That sounds sealed.
I don't remember exactly how it was when I first picked it up when it came out (I wish I still had the box :( ), but I remember the circular stickers are typical for PC games of that time.

Seems the going price for it on amazon and ebay sealed is about $30.[/QUOTE]

Cool thanks. Just wanted to be sure before I go and sell it. How is the game though? I grabbed it on without knowing anything because it seemed interesting.

[quote name='stiner']Cool thanks. Just wanted to be sure before I go and sell it. How is the game though? I grabbed it on without knowing anything because it seemed interesting.[/QUOTE]
It's been so long since it came out, all I can remember is I enjoyed it.:lol:

[quote name='stiner']Cool thanks. Just wanted to be sure before I go and sell it. How is the game though? I grabbed it on without knowing anything because it seemed interesting.[/QUOTE]

I was just checking my local craigslist and thought this was you! I saw you have that nocturne up for sale. Good luck!

Lol thanks. I just threw it up probably over priced to see if there are any hits. If it doesn't sell, well maybe it'll be the first pc game I'll play in 10 years or more!

[quote name='TheHeef']I'm counting on it, but I thought I heard somewhere about the NCAA 10 being the last one they made. Don't know the truth, but hell, if I can make a few extra bucks, I'll play along.[/QUOTE]

It is, but mostly because EA hasn't released any basketball games since then. That's not the reason it is valuable, though - look at the VGPC charts for it:

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/playstation-3/ncaa-basketball-10

It always peaks in March and then crashes again in a few months. It will continue to do this every year until EA makes another one (or in a few years when the PS3/360 generation is outdated).

[quote name='Bing147']There are only four real possibilities... lets be real, the average person doesn't have a bunch of Atlus games or rare RPGs. When you find that sort of score it is very rarely just some random person. Now you can find one rare game by coincidence. For example, anyone could randomly have gotten a Persona 2, or a Suikoden 2, or a .hack part 4, or even a Turbografx. But to have like 5 Atlus titles or something like that? They should at least know it isn't worthless. My ideas:

1. They used to be a hardcore gamer (but not really a collector) years ago but got out of it years ago and just noticed their old games around the house. Certainly possible... but most of these people would be the types to know they might be worth something. I think this is rare.
2. Someone made their wife/husband/significant other/sibling/etc. really mad. Also a possibility but I would think that would be someone who would take it to a pawn shop and get some cash more likely. You never know though, this may be easier.
3. Gone off to college and their parents thought they didn't want it anymore. This makes sense with newer stuff like PS2/Gamecube/Xbox/DS/PSP/etc. A bit less likely with older stuff than that though as they wouldn't be going off to college at this point most likely. You never know, maybe they moved out of state and not to college or something... but less likely.
4. They died and their family has no idea what it's worth.

Really... I can't think of any other real possibilities...[/QUOTE]

Some people aren't set up to have an ebay account, you have to have a bank account and paypal and I can vouch for the fact that a ton of people in my area do not have access to these things. As long as you don't have problems, its a pretty painless way to get rid of things though.

Some people are uncomfortable dealing with CL or ebay, lets face it, its pretty easy to get scammed, I am uncomfortable dealing with CL as well. Also dealing with CL is a hassle, you have buyers that say they want the item, you agree to meet them somewhere then they never show up. I did sell one thing on CL and I had to make many, many phone calls to get a buyer and it took at least 5 hours between 2-3 days plus I had to deal with the person coming over to get the items.

Likewise, some people don't want to go into a pawn shop, I know I definitely do not. Some people might not have a fleamarket nearby where they can just walk in and sell things like I do. This is a pretty quick way to make a buck, takes about 20-30 min of your time again if you have one nearby and there are buy-sell-trade booths and no dealing with a pawn or CL, IMO this is the quickest way to unload stuff for me if you need to unload.

If someone has just started a job out of college and is in a relationship and either has a just born child or is thinking about having a child, they may just plain old not care, also they may be simply too busy with life to care, heck they may junk everything that is taking up wasted time of theirs regardless if its worth something or not. A game that is worth $50 on ebay they may just not want to bother with or not care about... that is a drop in the bucket for these types.

Making a yard sale, that is also a big hassle and can sometimes be a complete waste of time, I have made yard sales before, and I would not do it again. Its just not profitable due to my area and where I live. It takes several days to prepare for the sale then you have to spend a whole day on your lawn selling. That is wasted time that I cannot afford these days. For us we had to spend at least a week several hours a day gathering items, storing them in our living room (we don't have a garage), dealing with them sitting there for a week then put them out for 25 -50 cents each and hope they sell... no thank you... if I need to get rid of things its off to the donation bin from now on.

All it takes is one person with an anime interest or who is an RPGhead. I know growing up with SNES and PS1 on a limited budget I'd always go after games with replay value; there were no rarity guides under my nose. I've met a number of people too who were personally letting go of their well-built, quality collections. Often they see them as games that they just don't have time for anymore-- games that they would like to go to a good home. Also not everyone goes for max value when selling, and--as Sarah mentions--there are a number of hidden costs involved in trying to sell.

[quote name='RedRingOfDeath']Was on my local round of thrifting yesterday. Picked up Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Collectors Edition w/Gold Cart) at the value village - complete in the box for $20. Looked it up on ebay with my phone just before buying it and the cheapest complete copy on ebay is going for around $70 to $80. This should definitely sell fast.

...pics or it didnt happen, right?

Can't insert pics yet.

...did I mention that the cartridge was in excellent shape? And the manual was not bad either. The box is a little bent on one side, but such is life. Cant complain in the least for $20. :D

8570747349_ea9f7014e1_z.jpg

Nothing special here. Just picked this handheld Coleco Head-to-Head Baseball game up for $2 at Goodwill. I've always had a huge interest in these types of games.

Found my favorite haul ever the other day, MK 1&2, NBA Jam, NBA Jam TE, X-Men, and a Game Genie for the Genesis, $3 a piece. MKs are missing the manual, the rest are complete. Stupidly left behind Golden Axe, but I'm definitely hitting the stores again tomorrow. Hopefully it's still there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a little bit mor luck today. Picked up Wii Sports complete in the cardboard sleeve and manual for $1.25. Not to shabby I guess.

[quote name='Survivalism']Found my favorite haul ever the other day, MK 1&2, NBA Jam, NBA Jam TE, X-Men, and a Game Genie for the Genesis, $3 a piece. MKs are missing the manual, the rest are complete. Stupidly left behind Golden Axe, but I'm definitely hitting the stores again tomorrow. Hopefully it's still there.[/QUOTE]

Golden axe was my favorite game. So crude! Actually don't think I ever beat it

Picked up a jungle green N64 for $40 and a bag of N64 games for $20 a couple days ago. The bag of N64 games included Super Smash Bros., Mario Kart 64, Pokemon Stadium 2, Starfox 64, Super Mario 64, Donkey Knog 64, and a few more unimportant games.

I had some good finds this week:

Xbox wireless guitar hero guitar $7
Bioshock for Mac CIB $4
Mirror's edge Xbox $4
Xbox 360 VGA cable $3

Pikmin/xcom were from bestbuy, but everything else from GW

Gamecube controller is half purple/half clear
2ez2xyu.jpg

Local thrift.. all games were $2 or less
ei6zi1.jpg

Game gear lot $20
2zh1s1w.jpg

There appears to be a little Pawn shop moving in by my GW........they better not buy up all the "good" stuff at GW then sell it in their store.

Damn, you freaking guys make me jealous. Every time, i go to a goodwill, all i find is crap-tons of guitars for Guitar hero and crappy ps2 sports games.

Pretty ok week.
imag03831.jpg

NBA 2k13 slipped through cracks and ended up on the shelf with all the lower priced games and movies. Naruto was out there too so I just used a coupon to get them both for $6. Found that Ronson lighter with the intention of flipping but I ended up liking it so I'm keeping it. Also found a working Tickle Me Elmo for $.49 that works perfectly and in great shape :D

I found these in a PILE of playstation games at the thrift store. Final Fantasy VIII, tactics and Clock Towere are all sealed too. The other games are in excellent condition. Not bad for $35 I think.

Found this last friday! $15

102_0933_zpsaf0592f7.jpg

102_0934_zpsf950103c.jpg

The controllers don't work, looks like someone cut them in two and tried to put them back together with electrical tape.

Some playstation games, not much worth talking about,
102_0936_zps64e6453b.jpg

AWWW I havent seen a SNES at Goodwill in ages! Everyone looks stuff up on Ebay now.......then tries to get that price on Craiglist or at their yardsales.

Its the first SNES I've seen, it'll go nicely with my boxed Saturn I found last laborday weekend! They also had a boxed fat ps2 for $35 with 7 sports titles! But I wasn't interested, it had the security sticker removed.

I've been back twice since friday and haven't seen any games. The ps2 is gone though...dunno whos crazy enough to buy that.

[quote name='Yokihana']

I found these in a PILE of playstation games at the thrift store. Final Fantasy VIII, tactics and Clock Towere are all sealed too. The other games are in excellent condition. Not bad for $35 I think.[/QUOTE]
your attachment is borked.
Tried copying the link, but took me to a login page for a college.
You can host images on cag if you've nowhere else to do so.
It's under your username, Pictures & Albums, below cheapy and the logo.

I had a complete "WTF" moment at one of my local Goodwills today. Basically, I've bought a bunch of video game stuff there before and everything has been reasonably marked before. Hell, I found a Gamecube there one time with two Wavebird receivers and a memory card attached for a reasonable price. Anyway, today I took a look at the glass case and I saw a Gamecube with a $40 sticker on it!! The worst part was, the controllers each had price stickers on them too. I think Goodwill is getting a bit ridiculous with their pricing structure as of late.

[quote name='Shabow']I had a complete "WTF" moment at one of my local Goodwills today. Basically, I've bought a bunch of video game stuff there before and everything has been reasonably marked before. Hell, I found a Gamecube there one time with two Wavebird receivers and a memory card attached for a reasonable price. Anyway, today I took a look at the glass case and I saw a Gamecube with a $40 sticker on it!! The worst part was, the controllers each had price stickers on them too. I think Goodwill is getting a bit ridiculous with their pricing structure as of late.[/QUOTE]
Not at all related, except for the gamecube part, but I saw a Gamecube at a goodwill this past weekend that was marked $8, and it had a generic $4 (or something) sticker on it from a yard sale. :wall:

[quote name='Shabow']I had a complete "WTF" moment at one of my local Goodwills today. Basically, I've bought a bunch of video game stuff there before and everything has been reasonably marked before. Hell, I found a Gamecube there one time with two Wavebird receivers and a memory card attached for a reasonable price. Anyway, today I took a look at the glass case and I saw a Gamecube with a $40 sticker on it!! The worst part was, the controllers each had price stickers on them too. I think Goodwill is getting a bit ridiculous with their pricing structure as of late.[/QUOTE]

you should complain to them and remind them they are doing this for charity, specifically yours.

Does your guys GW's do 99cent Sundays? Haven't seen anyone mention it. Both mine do it, got so many good deals for 99cents. Gotta get there at Noon tho....

A few of mine do weekly 50% off and $1 colors.
Some do 50% off donated items only sales.
The other do nothing.

Stuff like that are a regional/district thing that I'm guessing the district manager can implement if they want.

There are no sales at my GW's ever. And recently they started to print off prices from overstock.com (lol) and tape them to items.

Mine just does the weekly 50%. Sometimes, it's specific, like 50% off CIB toys. There used to be Goodwill that did 75% off Colors and all that good stuff, but it's gone now.

My GW's only do 50% off all color tag items on every other Saturday, 50% weekly color, and occasionally 75% off a certain colored tag, but that specific color tag are on items that have been there for two months, so the stuff that lasted that long is usually junk.

Speaking of which, I haven't thrift shopped in over two weeks, that must be a record for me...

My usual Goodwill has been checking ebay for prices this past year so I went to another Goodwill in another part of town. They have great prices. YMMV I guess. Anyway this is what I have scored this past month.

$1

$2

Elite Bouncer (missing it's air tank) for $2. Marvel Heroscape $4. and Jabba for $1.

Ok so on top of the DBZ I posted earlier, I also picked up season 4 of yu yu hakusho, and complete collection 2 of mobile suit gundam wing for $10 total.

Found a couple non sport PS1 games, and an SNES Asciipad for $6 as well. Pretty good day for me, still riding the DBZ wave lol.

Oh, dam thought they all did 99cent Sundays. Basically mine has a new color every Monday and that color is 50% off for the whole week. Then, that color is 99 cents on Sunday . Repeat. I've gotten stuff marked $50- over a hundred for $1. Good stuff

Today I got a black Xbox 360 controller with rechargeable battery, Blitz the League (PS3), and Skylanders Pirate Seas set all for $12 total.

[quote name='Sivarticus']Ok so on top of the DBZ I posted earlier, I also picked up season 4 of yu yu hakusho, and complete collection 2 of mobile suit gundam wing for $10 total.

Found a couple non sport PS1 games, and an SNES Asciipad for $6 as well. Pretty good day for me, still riding the DBZ wave lol.[/QUOTE]

Damn. Nice pick ups, especially for the Gundam Wing Set.

[quote name='Olengie']Damn. Nice pick ups, especially for the Gundam Wing Set.[/QUOTE]

Yeah and they all look brand new. My best grab so far. I got a TI-84 last week for $3 and I thought that was good :)

I saw some sweet deals today.........$25 super smash bros with tape residue all over, $12 mario tennis 64, $16 mario 64, and a few other ridiculously priced N64 games. Sitting right by those were some precious Atari 2600 games that obviously need to be kept in the glasscase and some original gameboy game with a $16 sticker on it (didnt even bother to ask what it was, price was covering the label). GMAFB Goodwill! If I want to pay those prices Ill go to the gamestore...... RIGHT NEXT DOOR!

If it wasnt for the fact that Ive picked up 2 working $10 Xboxs, a Game And Watch, and a few other things they missed I would stop visting that GW.

My B-Day was last June and I still have my happy B-Day Goodwill 25% off card. That's how bad they price the games and systems by me. Non related I did pick up a real nice leather jacket which is almost the same as the one I own that I paid $300 for. They are just a little different in color. Got it for $18 so it's not all bad.

Holy hella 24 hours, Batman!

I decided to go to the GW across the street last night on a whim, and did I luck out. Somebody put out a small stack of Wii games and priced them at $2/each. I didn't take them all, but did grab:

Just Dance Kids
Mario Kart
Toy Story Mania
New Super Mario Bros
Sonic and the Black Knight

The lady working told me there was more stuff like it in the back and to check back today, just in case. (They know me there, since I'm there almost every day) I went back this afternoon to see and nothing else was put out, but as I was browsing around, a cart came out with some random housewares/electronics. There was a pink DS case, priced at $5, sitting in the cart, which I quickly snatched up. Inside was:

A coral pink DS lite (dirty but in good condition)
Cheetah Girls :gba:
Petz Horses 2 :ds:
Nintendogs Dalmation :ds:
Super Princess Peach :ds:

I figured that was going to be the highlight of the trip, but I decided to wait around a few more minutes to see if another cart would come out. Sure enough, another came out with a bunch of housewares junk, a beat of junk box and a Wii Fit board. Inside the box?

A White Wii console, with all cables
4 Wii remotes
4 Nunchucks
2 Motion+ adapters
2 Energizer batteries + charger base
And inside the wii was a copy of Kirby Epic Yarn

Cost? $25

I already tested it all and everything works perfect. The only thing missing is the charger for the DS, but I'm sure I have one laying around. If not, I'll pick one up from FiveBelow tomorrow.

I'll try to get pics up tomorrow, once I get my new light box built.

[quote name='sp00ge']Holy hella 24 hours, Batman!

I decided to go to the GW across the street last night on a whim, and did I luck out. Somebody put out a small stack of Wii games and priced them at $2/each. I didn't take them all, but did grab:

Just Dance Kids
Mario Kart
Toy Story Mania
New Super Mario Bros
Sonic and the Black Knight

The lady working told me there was more stuff like it in the back and to check back today, just in case. (They know me there, since I'm there almost every day) I went back this afternoon to see and nothing else was put out, but as I was browsing around, a cart came out with some random housewares/electronics. There was a pink DS case, priced at $5, sitting in the cart, which I quickly snatched up. Inside was:

A coral pink DS lite (dirty but in good condition)
Cheetah Girls :gba:
Petz Horses 2 :ds:
Nintendogs Dalmation :ds:
Super Princess Peach :ds:

I figured that was going to be the highlight of the trip, but I decided to wait around a few more minutes to see if another cart would come out. Sure enough, another came out with a bunch of housewares junk, a beat of junk box and a Wii Fit board. Inside the box?

A White Wii console, with all cables
4 Wii remotes
4 Nunchucks
2 Motion+ adapters
2 Energizer batteries + charger base
And inside the wii was a copy of Kirby Epic Yarn

Cost? $25

I already tested it all and everything works perfect. The only thing missing is the charger for the DS, but I'm sure I have one laying around. If not, I'll pick one up from FiveBelow tomorrow.

I'll try to get pics up tomorrow, once I get my new light box built.[/QUOTE]
:drool: I can only dream of a pick up this good. My GoodWill's seem to be running dry or they price things way too high.

I just got a few Wiis from Goodwill yesterday too. One working for $25 but missing the stand and nunchuk, two broken for $5 each. Best part? Inside the systems were Wii Sports, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and New Super Mario Bros.

Also got some interesting information on Goodwill. At least my local store has people that are performing limited repairs of systems (new 72-pin in NES, X-clamp on 360, etc.) as well as resurfacing discs so that they can charge more for them.

They had an NES with cables, two controllers marked at $50 and it has a sticker on it saying "Refurb - New 72 Pin Connector". I asked about it and they told me they have two employees that their sole job is repairing video games/systems and other electronics and then pricing them to "market value".

Doesn't seem unique to my store either as some on Shopgoodwill are marking discs as resurfaced.

Picked up an OG gameboy and four games Donkey Kong Land 2, Mario's Picross, Pac-man and Tetris bundled for $12.97 +tax all four games have the clear game cases

also picked up a sealed copy of :ps3: Sniper Ghost warrior for $7.50

Edit: Reworded to clarify my find.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back