2013 Thrift Store Thread

[quote name='Kovorkian']Picked up an OG gameboy Donkey Kong Land 2, Mario's Picross, Pac-man and Tetris bundled for $12.97 +tax all four games have the clear game cases

also picked up a sealed copy of :ps3: Sniper Ghost warrior for $7.50[/QUOTE]

very nice my friend!:applause: love those cases

[quote name='MasaTFC']very nice my friend!:applause: love those cases[/QUOTE]

I have my sister to thank, check the case right away nothing, check again before I'm ready to go nothing. My sister is looking through slippers or something so I make another trip around. Bag of game boy stuff that was just put out, so I grab that and ask the price of :ps3: Sniper Ghost Warrior which was 15 but was half off today due to surplus stock or whatever.

needless to say a day that started out meh (left my Bestbuy coupons that expire the 31st at home and we were gonna hit up the local and a distant one) ended up really great.

side Note (not thrift store): Picked up Uncharted golden abyss + 2 ipad cases at radio shack for 10.50 post tax and coupon.

Good stuff today
imag04031.jpg

The NES wasn't ridiculously priced like every other console I've encountered. Only 4.99 and it came with Mario Bros/Duck Hunt inside(they wouldn't let me open the bag to inspect the console before I bought it)so that was a nice surprise. I never heard of Nightmare Creatures but it was only a dollar and sealed. I have no idea what toy that is but I assume it's a transformer. The NES is missing a power cord so i'll have to hunt for one of those.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sp00ge']Holy hella 24 hours, Batman!

I decided to go to the GW across the street last night on a whim, and did I luck out. Somebody put out a small stack of Wii games and priced them at $2/each. I didn't take them all, but did grab:

Just Dance Kids
Mario Kart
Toy Story Mania
New Super Mario Bros
Sonic and the Black Knight

The lady working told me there was more stuff like it in the back and to check back today, just in case. (They know me there, since I'm there almost every day) I went back this afternoon to see and nothing else was put out, but as I was browsing around, a cart came out with some random housewares/electronics. There was a pink DS case, priced at $5, sitting in the cart, which I quickly snatched up. Inside was:

A coral pink DS lite (dirty but in good condition)
Cheetah Girls :gba:
Petz Horses 2 :ds:
Nintendogs Dalmation :ds:
Super Princess Peach :ds:

I figured that was going to be the highlight of the trip, but I decided to wait around a few more minutes to see if another cart would come out. Sure enough, another came out with a bunch of housewares junk, a beat of junk box and a Wii Fit board. Inside the box?

A White Wii console, with all cables
4 Wii remotes
4 Nunchucks
2 Motion+ adapters
2 Energizer batteries + charger base
And inside the wii was a copy of Kirby Epic Yarn

Cost? $25

I already tested it all and everything works perfect. The only thing missing is the charger for the DS, but I'm sure I have one laying around. If not, I'll pick one up from FiveBelow tomorrow.

I'll try to get pics up tomorrow, once I get my new light box built.[/QUOTE]

Thats a great find! I never have any luck with my goodwill since I barely see any games. I pick up from a yard sale for $5 a white wii. It had all the cables, but the wii senor wire was broken and the plastic cover to cover the gamecube ports were missing. It does turn on, but i dont know if the ports work,etc. Please look at the yard sale forum as I had questions. thanks

Got a bag of 4 gameboy games
Lion King
Pocahontas
Loony Toons
Ms. Pacman
3 out of the 4 had plastic cases Once again have my sister to thank who found them looking for scrapbooking stuff

Damn you guys are lucky
i went to a goodwill yesterday and literally they had nothing -__-
i really dont think there is any goodwill/thrift stores for games in the bronx

[quote name='MasaTFC']sp00ge is a thift store boss yo![/QUOTE]

Yeah, I had a hell of a dry spell, though. My GW has some new pricers, so the pricing on some stuff that we typically resell (plush, for example) are now getting "special finds" pricing, instead of the standard pricing.

These finds came as a major surprise. Funny enough, I'm not reselling any of it. I'm keeping the systems as backups.

[quote name='Metalepic']literally they had nothing[/QUOTE]
If that's the case, they probably went out of business. Or they cleared out their entire stock so they could start over from scratch, which seems rather unlikely.

Awesome finds sp00ge, I'm in the middle of a dry spell myself. Only thing I bought recently was a copy of :ps2: RE Code Veronica X for $4 (the black label, 5th anniversary edition), and that is only a so-so deal. If only it was the Gamecube version...

Saw a Game.com behind the glass at Salvation Army today. As soon as I saw it in the display case I knew I wasn't going to be picking it up. $30, or your typical eBay price.

Well picked these up for a decent price from my local thrift store:

8608372742_87021039ca_z.jpg

This was a nice Thrift Shop find. They usually sell their games for $1 each and found a wireless GameCube controller by Intec without the receiver for $0.50. Here's the total of stuff:

Zatch Bell: Mamodo Fury (PS2)
Syphon Filter 3 (PS1)
Intech Wireless GameCube controller with no receiver.

$2.50 later I was ok with this.

[quote name='Olengie']Haven't went to a local GW in a while. Wonder what I missed out on. :lol:[/QUOTE]

everything.

Picked up these at a local thrift store. The N64 stuff and wavebird controller were bundled together for $15. Too bad there was no reciever for the wavebird controller. Not even sure why I got this Yoshi figure, but can't complain for a dollar

2n0u5v7.jpg

[quote name='evuong']Picked up these at a local thrift store. The N64 stuff and wavebird controller were bundled together for $15. Too bad there was no reciever for the wavebird controller. Not even sure why I got this Yoshi figure, but can't complain for a dollar

2n0u5v7.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Nice finds! When my Blockbuster was closing down they had a bunch of toys and figures I wanted to get but I was waiting for them to drop to 50% by the time that happened someone scooped them up :cold: did get a ton of ice cream for cheap though ha.

Today I came away with these:

-2 black wii remotes new but with Target def/salv tags for $13 each boxes were unopened and the remotes work great
-black wii classic pro controller $5
-xbox wireless guitar hero guitar $7

These were some nice thrift store pickups over the past couple days:

8619261306_094c0f90cf_z.jpg

Found this at Goodwill. I was just about to leave empty handed when they announced that another cart was coming out. I waited for it and saw this guitar and a Guitar Hero Guitar for Wii as well on it. I only grabbed the Rock Band one and am kicking my self I didn't get the other. Still though, I only paid $5 for this.

8618152891_65ddb82846_z.jpg

Went to Goodwill and say this on a shelf and immediately thought 'WTF is this'? After looking at it I realized it was pretty neat. Paid $3 for it.

8619259672_417f84bc5f_z.jpg

Got this steal at the local Salvation Army. Paid $5 for a Wii Drum Kit and Guitar both for Rock Band. Awesome I thought!

[quote name='Jnova80']Got all of these today at three different Goodwill stores! Paid about $55[/QUOTE]
Luigi's Mansion is on my short list of GCN games I really want to get, kicking myself for passing that up at Gamestop all those times, in light of the recent price spike.

Last GW stop didn't yield any purchases, but I did see a ton of sealed DVDs on the shelf for $5 each. Decent movie selection, but nothing I would want to buy to keep, or even know if it would be worth it to flip (mostly likely not for these titles).

I had a great non gaming find at the Thrift Store today. Paid 15 bucks for a newish lawn sports set from the 70's, which included a net, 4 Badminton Rackets (the high quality ones), and a set of original lawn Jarts, the metal kind that were made illegal.

I found an almost brand new copy of this game at goodwill for $7.99? It is complete with everything but there is a tear near the hangtag area.. here are some pics:

sam0319xu.jpg

sam0320g.jpg

sam0318.JPG

sam0325k.jpg

sam0323qo.jpg

sam0321gh.jpg

sam0317j.jpg

and others

img20130404102138683.jpg

[quote name='mitemouse']I found an almost brand new copy of this game at goodwill for $7.99? It is complete with everything but there is a tear near the hangtag area.. here are some pics:

sam0319xu.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I have that game with the mat. It's pretty fun for about 5 minutes. :lol: I only played it once.

[quote name='eliter1']I have that game with the mat. It's pretty fun for about 5 minutes. :lol: I only played it once.[/QUOTE]

Is it the family fun fitness version or the Nintendo version after the buyout? And is it complete

Picked up 2 copies of Gears of War: Judgement today for 30 each, both sealed. Also got Borderlands 2 Add-on content pack (Xbox 360) for 14.99.

And my find of the week:

Gameboy Micro $14.99

Been looking forever for one of these.

Wont be bothering with Guitar Hero guitars anymore, got around to cleaning and testing the 4 I bought over the past few months. One works fine, the GH3 ones still have button presses that dont register even after I used cable ties to tighten down the necks, and the GH World Tour one has barely registering down strum and orange button.

[quote name='juangrande386']Wont be bothering with Guitar Hero guitars anymore, got around to cleaning and testing the 4 I bought over the past few months. One works fine, the GH3 ones still have button presses that dont register even after I used cable ties to tighten down the necks, and the GH World Tour one has barely registering down strum and orange button.[/QUOTE]

For the GH3 guitars, get some Brasso metal polish and shine up the connectors where the neck and base meet. The problem is with the bad connections is oxidation and a very small connection point that is easily fouled by it, not by a lack of pressure and pins not making contact.

The World Tour guitar, I have nothing for fixing the orange button, but the down strum sounds like the microswitch is going on it. It's fixable if you know how to solder and desolder.

I haven't had any problem with the few I've bought other than a) they're a bitch to ship and b) they can take surprisingly long to sell.

Seriously I know it's been asked before, but what's a good way to ship these dang things? I remember in the past I sold a Guitar Hero Aerosmith guitar and with the neck detached it fit in a Medium Flat Rate box...needless to say those damn things have gotten a LOT smaller.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']I haven't had any problem with the few I've bought other than a) they're a bitch to ship and b) they can take surprisingly long to sell.

Seriously I know it's been asked before, but what's a good way to ship these dang things? I remember in the past I sold a Guitar Hero Aerosmith guitar and with the neck detached it fit in a Medium Flat Rate box...needless to say those damn things have gotten a LOT smaller.[/QUOTE]

For the GH3 guitars, I use a large flat (the shape, not flat rate) Priority (not the O-1097,l but the one slightly larger) and then canabalize the top 3-4 inches off another of the same size. I basically extend the box I'm using by using part of another box, this makes the box tall enough for the neck to fit and bubble wrapped, the pieces fit nicely side-by-side. If you do it right, it doesn't look nearly as ghetto as it sounds, and I've never had a complaint from the USPS for cutting up boxes.

If I get around to it, I'll take pics to show what I mean.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']I haven't had any problem with the few I've bought other than a) they're a bitch to ship and b) they can take surprisingly long to sell.

Seriously I know it's been asked before, but what's a good way to ship these dang things? I remember in the past I sold a Guitar Hero Aerosmith guitar and with the neck detached it fit in a Medium Flat Rate box...needless to say those damn things have gotten a LOT smaller.[/QUOTE]
If you happen to know someone who works with FedEx shipments often enough (as in they order the Express Boxes directly from FedEx), the outside carboard box that ships the 20 medium sized express boxes is the perfect shape.

I do not mean use FedEx boxes (the white kind, that would be misuse of the boxes), but the brown carboard box that contains the medium boxes, which usually get tossed out anyways.

An outside chance for you, but since I have access to them from my work, I love to put some recycling to good use when I see them.

I've even done a ghetto (but actually very sturdy) pack job on a guitar once, where I used two oversized recycled newspaper padded mailers, and put one over each end, with each piece individually bubble wrapped. It looked better than I thought it would, so it is another option if you happen to see the large mailers cheap at your locals.

Salvation Army finds

:ps2: Star Ocean: Till the End of Time $3.99 (no manual)
:dvd: Street Fight Alpha the movie $2.99

and the awesome find of the day (Good Will)

:xbox: Conker Live and Reloaded Very good / Like New for $6.97 (all xbox games were this price)

I don't consider this awesome myself, but I found an original Xbox, sans cords for $10.

Also picked up a handful of games. Black, Forza, jade empire, max payne 2, all for 2.99 each. All in pretty good condition and complete.

Also black label Kingdom Hearts and FFX-2 for 5 each.

GameCube zoids battle assault and GameCube custom robo

$2 each

Not a thrift, but I went to estarland's gamersxchange today. I haven't seen so many stereotypical gamers in a long time.

Went to a local Goodwill store yesterday for the first time.

Not the best of deals, but I found a PS1 with 1 controller and a memory card in one of it's slots. No power cords or A/V cable though. It was only going for $5 so I decided to grab it. I then bought the cords on ebay for another $5. Who knows if this will work or not, but I figured, "what they hey."

[quote name='yourlefthand']GameCube zoids battle assault and GameCube custom robo

$2 each

Not a thrift, but I went to estarland's gamersxchange today. I haven't seen so many stereotypical gamers in a long time.[/QUOTE]

Man I really miss those games. All that hard work and stuff. :lol: I totally regret selling it back in the day.

N64 haul today: Ocarina of Time (grey), Super Mario 64, Goldeneye, Starfox 64, F-Zero X 64, Majora's Mask (Holo)- $18 total.

Passed on a $20 Xbox with no controllers and a $10 system only fat PS2 ( it was under stuff on a random shelf, perhaps being hidden?). Then I had a really hard time passing on the dirty torn label WCW VS NWO Revenge cartridge for $8.........really Goodwill? REALLY?!

The goodwill I usually find stuff at got a new manager and now everything is stupidly priced. I saw someone scanning books on a computer in the back, I can only assume they list the good stuff online or use it to specially price things.
There was an original xbox with a generic controller and maybe some other cables for $70.
There's been an original PS1 there for weeks for $20.
It's horrible. I can't wait until she gets transferred/fired.

I was surprised in GW today. Not only did they have games, but they were decently priced. Lately all I have found is original Xbox/PS2 sports games for $6.xx each---No thanks!

Picked these up for $2.16 a piece.

img2339h.jpg

I missed out on Mario Sunshine, Mario Party 6, and Super Smash Bros Melee at my local Goodwill because they were all blue stickered and I was waiting for them to go on sale. They had them listed at $15 each so it seemed like a good deal but I guess someone beat me to them. Does goodwill change colors more than once a week for a sale? I feel like they always have a different color whenever I'm in there and I go a few times a week.

I got some stuff today lately; (GB)Game & Watch Gallery $4.49, (GBC)Bomberman Max Champion Blue $4.49, (PS1)The Land Before Time: Great Valley Racing $0.75, (PS2)Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3 $4.99, (PS2) Capcom Vs. Snk 2 $1.50, (XB)Fable $4.99 (XB) Frogger Beyond $3.00
picture.php

Was having an off day at the thrifts until I spotted Einhander and Final Fantasy Tactics (black label) for 2 bucks each. You know how they say it only takes a second to score a goal? Well this is proof that it only takes one find to make the daily hunt worth it lol.

[quote name='corygbp']I missed out on Mario Sunshine, Mario Party 6, and Super Smash Bros Melee at my local Goodwill because they were all blue stickered and I was waiting for them to go on sale. They had them listed at $15 each so it seemed like a good deal but I guess someone beat me to them. Does goodwill change colors more than once a week for a sale? I feel like they always have a different color whenever I'm in there and I go a few times a week.[/QUOTE]
The ones in my area that have colors only change once a week.
It's important to remember that each region of goodwill stores operate differently. Yours might change sale colors at a different rate. Best way to find out is to ask.

[quote name='corygbp']I missed out on Mario Sunshine, Mario Party 6, and Super Smash Bros Melee at my local Goodwill because they were all blue stickered and I was waiting for them to go on sale. They had them listed at $15 each so it seemed like a good deal but I guess someone beat me to them. Does goodwill change colors more than once a week for a sale? I feel like they always have a different color whenever I'm in there and I go a few times a week.[/QUOTE]

My GWs tag one color a week, and put one color on sale a week, in addition to the every other 50% off Saturday off all color tags.

As far as waiting for the good games to go on sale, I used to do that at first, but I kept getting discouraged when they were sold well before the sale date. If I have any remote interest, I just buy on the spot nowadays (my GWs are always good about returns). $15 is pretty high by comparison, but still a good deal for those specific titles.

Anyways, I finally broke my bad luck streak by finding disc only copies of the following for $3 total (they were donated together in a generic double CD holder, mixed in with the music CDs):

iconxbox_r2.gif
Star Wars Battlefront II
iconxbox_r2.gif
LEGO Star Wars

Fitting I find these games just shortly after the LucasArts news.

bread's done
Back