2013 Thrift Store Thread

[quote name='jk17866']Most of the places I go to do at least check ebay for how much the games are worth, and some do tell me they list them sometimes too. But if I happen to stop by and they have the games there and not on ebay yet, usually they'll sell them to me a little cheaper than what they go for on ebay. Normally about half price I'd say, sometimes better if I do a package deal. It's very rare you find a place that has no clue what they have.[/QUOTE]

There's a few places around here that don't know or care what they have game wise. Salvation Army seems to mark almost everything at $5 below. At one pawn shop, I picked up Pokemon Red for $2 and Super Mario RPG for $3 I think. And the video store used to do some decent prices where I could flip stuff, but their prices are more or less average with cheaper games being a little over-priced.

The problem is the stores that do under price usually don't get or keep their selections in for very long.

stuff slips through the cracks every once in a while-- usually guides, art books, and lesser known games.

There's a used media place near me that jacks prices up that had Vesperia and Eternal Sonata guides at $2.50 each. I couldn't tell if the look on the clerk's face was "oh god look how anime this is" or "oh crap, these are probably really underpriced"

[quote name='mguiddy']There's a thread on here about that, kinda. Some guy got Family Fun Fitness and a few other games and that was put out a few hours later at the same goodwill.[/QUOTE]

You mean this?

It's a few pages back in this very thread.

[quote name='sp00ge']You mean this?

It's a few pages back in this very thread.[/QUOTE]
That's the guy's post in this thread. This is the thread I was talking about.

Got lucky. Checked the carts where they bring out new stuff, saw n64 games. Got

Banjo kazooie
Goldeneye
Mario party 3

For $2 each. Cart only but very clean, no tears or damage or writing.

[quote name='Kovorkian']I hit up that book sale in Lewisburg months back got a ton of books still didn't read them all[/QUOTE]

Lewisburg, PA? I went to school there...wish I've known about thrift shops and gamecollecting then =/

[quote name='CAG90210']Lewisburg, PA? I went to school there...wish I've known about thrift shops and gamecollecting then =/[/QUOTE]

Yeah the one store at the edge of town, looks like a double house right off of 45.

Not a huge score today, but ended up with:

Kirby Air Ride, complete, black label for $2
and a box containing:
  • Fat PS2 with cables and two controllers
  • N64 with cables and two controllers and expansion pack
  • Diddy Kong Racing (cart only)
  • CIB Mia Hamm 64
  • :ps2: Crazy Taxi
  • :ps2: DDR (somethingorother)
  • :ps2: Spyhunter
  • A few other random games, manuals, etc
for $25.

[quote name='sp00ge']Not a huge score today, but ended up with:

Kirby Air Ride, complete, black label for $2
and a box containing:
  • Fat PS2 with cables and two controllers
  • N64 with cables and two controllers and expansion pack
  • Diddy Kong Racing (cart only)
  • CIB Mia Hamm 64
  • :ps2: Crazy Taxi
  • :ps2: DDR (somethingorother)
  • :ps2: Spyhunter
  • A few other random games, manuals, etc
for $25.[/QUOTE]

You ever find anything at the NV store anymore? I keep seeing stuff on shopgoodwill from them so I figured they'd be dead.

[quote name='mguiddy']You ever find anything at the NV store anymore? I keep seeing stuff on shopgoodwill from them so I figured they'd be dead.[/QUOTE]

I go once every month or so now. Pickings started getting slim and the place was getting too crowded for me to deal with. My last trip there, I got a few good things, but nyothing to make the trip really worth it. I stick mostly to the North Huntingdon, Murrysville and Greensburg GWs (Sometimes Monroeville if I'm in the area, but their prices are usually high) and other thrifts in the area now.

Went to goodwill today, Got:

:ps2: Scarface: The World Is Yours $2
:pc: Command And Conquer Generals (Jewel case only) $1
:pc: Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator (Complete) $2
:pc: NASCAR Thunder 2004 (Complete) $2
:pc: NASCAR Racing 2003 Season (Complete) $2 (This is getting sold)

Not bad.

I'd been having a hard time finding anything good in garage/yard sales ever since I moved to a different town, & I'd never really been to many thrift stores before. Before I gave up today, I decided to try a few in my town...& I had great success. In but one store, I got...:

$7 Ea. :
Lunar 1 COMPLETE boxed set (CE item) [PS1] with all discs/goodies in great condition.
Lunar 2 COMPLETE boxed set (CE item) [PS1] with all discs/goodies in great condition. Wearing the Lunar 2 necklace right now.
$2 Ea. (Mostly):
Vagrant Story.
Skies of Arcadia [Dreamcast].
Breath of Fire IV.
Final Fantasy Tactics (Greatest-Hits version).
Viewtiful Joe.
LOZ Ocarina of Time/Master Quest for GC (I've got two copies now).
Threads of Fate [PS1]
Dewprism [PS1] (JP version of Threads of Fate).

In addition to all that, got a cool 1950's copy of Old Man & The Sea & a (Martino-brand) pinstripe suit top. It has a clean-shaven "boss" feel to it; damn fine. Needs a red tie. (gifts from my father).

The store had a 50% off one-day sale, mind you (We didn't even know about it), so I would have had to have paid double of what turned out to be $34.50. :bouncy:

Lots of fun. I can post pictures if you guys would be interested.

TLDR; Tons of "complete" games for $34.50 + book & suit top gifts during a one-day 1/2-off sale (That I didn't know about) at a thrift store.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sp00ge']I go once every month or so now. Pickings started getting slim and the place was getting too crowded for me to deal with. My last trip there, I got a few good things, but nyothing to make the trip really worth it. I stick mostly to the North Huntingdon, Murrysville and Greensburg GWs (Sometimes Monroeville if I'm in the area, but their prices are usually high) and other thrifts in the area now.[/QUOTE]
I see.
I've never gone that far out to those ones, so you're safe... for now.:lol: I'd probably only ever go that far if I decide to try to buy a bunch of your boxed PC games at a discount. ;)
Seriously though, I felt sad for you after I saw some of the stuff I've seen on shopgoodwill from the NV store.:cry:

[quote name='N_S_Sherlock']Went to goodwill today, Got:

:ps2: Scarface: The World Is Yours $2
:pc: Command And Conquer Generals (Jewel case only) $1
:pc: Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator (Complete) $2
:pc: NASCAR Thunder 2004 (Complete) $2
:pc: NASCAR Racing 2003 Season (Complete) $2 (This is getting sold)

Not bad.[/QUOTE]
With all the freaking NASCAR games I find, I've never seen 2003.
Everyone in my area must know about it or something.

[quote name='mguiddy']I see.
I've never gone that far out to those ones, so you're safe... for now.:lol: I'd probably only ever go that far if I decide to try to buy a bunch of your boxed PC games at a discount. ;)
Seriously though, I felt sad for you after I saw some of the stuff I've seen on shopgoodwill from the NV store.:cry:

With all the freaking NASCAR games I find, I've never seen 2003.
Everyone in my area must know about it or something.[/QUOTE]
That's the third copy i got from that goodwill, I found one jewel case only, Another in what looks like an OEM DVD Case, And this one in the actual cardboard box.

[quote name='delsus09']
I'd been having a hard time finding anything good in garage/yard sales ever since I moved to a different town, & I'd never really been to many thrift stores before. Before I gave up today, I decided to try a few in my town...& I had great success. In but one store, I got...:

$7 Ea. :
Lunar 1 COMPLETE boxed set (CE item) [PS1] with all discs/goodies in great condition.
Lunar 2 COMPLETE boxed set (CE item) [PS1] with all discs/goodies in great condition. Wearing the Lunar 2 necklace right now.
$2 Ea. (Mostly):
Vagrant Story.
Breath of Fire IV.
Viewtiful Joe.
Threads of Fate [PS1]

In addition to all that, got a cool 1950's copy of Old Man & The Sea & a (Martino-brand) pinstripe suit top. It has a clean-shaven "boss" feel to it; damn fine. Needs a red tie. (gifts from my father).

The store had a 50% off one-day sale, mind you (We didn't even know about it), so I would have had to have paid double of what turned out to be $34.50. :bouncy:

TLDR; Tons of "complete" games for $34.50 + book & suit top gifts during a one-day 1/2-off sale (That I didn't know about) at a thrift store.[/QUOTE]

Awesome ps1 pickups, Tactics being one of my alltime favorite games.

grabbed Yu Gi Oh Duel of th Roses CIB and RPG Maker II CIB today (in Monroeville!) for 3 piece today while my gf was looking for a funeral dress.

spooge, you ever go to thrift king?

[quote name='MasaTFC']grabbed Yu Gi Oh Duel of th Roses CIB and RPG Maker II CIB today (in Monroeville!) for 3 piece today while my gf was looking for a funeral dress.

spooge, you ever go to thrift king?[/QUOTE]

Nice finds in Monroeville. Place is definitely hit/big miss. Last two great finds I had from there were NBA 2K13 :ps3: for $5 and a Samsung SA550 LED monitor for $50.

Thrift King was another place we used to go to a few times per week. Sundays are the big day, because of the color of the week 9.19> = .25 | >9.19 = 1/2 off. We were always first there on Sundays, but once word got out, it got CROWDED. Plus, people started bitching because we were always there at the front of the line and usually got to the good stuff first. Shit got ugly, people trying to cut line right when they unlocked the doors, and I just got sick of dealing with Jeanette's classiest citizens. Bunch of cry babies that would rather bitch instead of of showing initiative and waking up 20 minutes earlier.

We still go about once a week, on an off day usually. I've had so many awesome finds there on quarter day though. If you are looking for some good Best Buy Upgrade and Save fodder, go on sunday and hope someone doesn't snatch up every DVD.

[quote name='sp00ge']Nice finds in Monroeville. Place is definitely hit/big miss. Last two great finds I had from there were NBA 2K13 :ps3: for $5 and a Samsung SA550 LED monitor for $50.

Thrift King was another place we used to go to a few times per week. Sundays are the big day, because of the color of the week 9.19> = .25 | >9.19 = 1/2 off. We were always first there on Sundays, but once word got out, it got CROWDED. Plus, people started bitching because we were always there at the front of the line and usually got to the good stuff first. Shit got ugly, people trying to cut line right when they unlocked the doors, and I just got sick of dealing with Jeanette's classiest citizens. Bunch of cry babies that would rather bitch instead of of showing initiative and waking up 20 minutes earlier.

We still go about once a week, on an off day usually. I've had so many awesome finds there on quarter day though. If you are looking for some good Best Buy Upgrade and Save fodder, go on sunday and hope someone doesn't snatch up every DVD.[/QUOTE]

yea, monroeville is very hit and miss. was super shocked about the RPG maker though.

I will have to check it out, although sundays usually suck for me. I only get to go to greensburg area on saturdays and it is usually to visit my friend and his wife. He took me to a place called Warp Zone about a month ago, ever heard of that place? Nothing to great at the time when I was there, got a 360 controller that needs the RB button fixed for 5 bucks.

and could have got Sunset Riders CIB for genesis..35 dollars i think is what they quoted? was just nice to be in a local, non corporate store with some classic game stuff for sale.

[quote name='robwhois']Awesome ps1 pickups, Tactics being one of my alltime favorite games.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm excited to play it sometime in the future (working on Lunar & Valkyrie right now). They had a lot of stuff at the place I went to; FF 7/9 too, which I could've picked up for $4 total. Probably could have flipped it, but I don't have much experience in Ebay/shipping stuff out, so...yeah. Probably be nice to leave it for someone else to snag too.

You think it'd be worth it to go back to the same thrift store next week/next two weeks? I was thinking that the games were there because of Spring cleaning, so I'm not sure what to think about me going back...not used to thrift-store surfing.

Still need to snag a few games to complete my basic collection (I think). O great gods of gaming, please grace your faithful servant with boxed copies of Earthbound & Shenmue!

[quote name='MasaTFC']yea, monroeville is very hit and miss. was super shocked about the RPG maker though.

I will have to check it out, although sundays usually suck for me. I only get to go to greensburg area on saturdays and it is usually to visit my friend and his wife. He took me to a place called Warp Zone about a month ago, ever heard of that place? Nothing to great at the time when I was there, got a 360 controller that needs the RB button fixed for 5 bucks.

and could have got Sunset Riders CIB for genesis..35 dollars i think is what they quoted? was just nice to be in a local, non corporate store with some classic game stuff for sale.[/QUOTE]

I never even heard of that place until you mentioned it. I just checked their website and after looking at the pics posted, now I know who my local GW competition is.

So much of the non Video Game stuff is things I'm 90% sure I saw at and passed on at the GB and NH Goodwill. Even the Redakai stuff still has ripped Target clearance tags and intact GW price tags on them. My local GW couldn't sell them, so they threw them in a bin marked $.25/ea and they were gone the next day.

A Sega themed GW trip last weekend, nothing special or rare, just had to get them for the price. The SMS games were all complete for $1 each, and the DC keyboard was $1.50. Couldn't find the Light Phaser donated (or Typing of the Dead for that matter), though.

8673258226_13de4781e9.jpg

[quote name='delsus09']

$7 Ea. :
$2 Ea. (Mostly):
Vagrant Story.
Breath of Fire IV.
Viewtiful Joe.
Threads of Fate [PS1]

TLDR; Tons of "complete" games for $34.50 + book & suit top gifts during a one-day 1/2-off sale (That I didn't know about) at a thrift store.[/QUOTE]

as someone who just got back into ps1 collecting, i'm quite jealous :)

[quote name='delsus09']Yeah, I'm excited to play it sometime in the future (working on Lunar & Valkyrie right now). They had a lot of stuff at the place I went to; FF 7/9 too, which I could've picked up for $4 total. Probably could have flipped it, but I don't have much experience in Ebay/shipping stuff out, so...yeah. Probably be nice to leave it for someone else to snag too.

You think it'd be worth it to go back to the same thrift store next week/next two weeks? I was thinking that the games were there because of Spring cleaning, so I'm not sure what to think about me going back...not used to thrift-store surfing.

Still need to snag a few games to complete my basic collection (I think). O great gods of gaming, please grace your faithful servant with boxed copies of Earthbound & Shenmue![/QUOTE]

Yeah you could have definitely made a quick 40-50 bucks I'd say, maybe even alittle more if you got the black label, non greatest hits versions of FF7/9.

My thing about going to thrift stores, is that you got to go alot(I go to a local one almost everyday) to up your chances of finding something good. I know in my area their are a few people that search these stores for video games, so the more I go, the better chance I have of beating these other people at getting what I want.

Finally! After over a month I find something!

Far Cry 3 (PC)- $5

Disc 2 wouldnt read on my laptop so I almost gave up hope. Put it in my parents computer and was able to copy the files to my portable HDD and finish the installation.

Savers today had a good selection of NES and Gamecube Games for $4 each. Nothing much that I needed, but I ended up with Luigi's Mansion, Super Monkey Ball Adventure, and Sonic Heroes for Gamecube. When did Luigi's Mansion become such a lucrative flip? I'm going to make $40 off this copy on Amazon!

I regret selling my Luigi's Mansion for $12 a few years back.

Today I found a PS3 official controller for $4 charging it now, so far it works, can't wait to see if it holds a charge.

[quote name='wheels']I regret selling my Luigi's Mansion for $12 a few years back.

Today I found a PS3 official controller for $4 charging it now, so far it works, can't wait to see if it holds a charge.[/QUOTE]

If it doesn't hold a charge, you can replace the battery. The controller is kinda tricky to get back together.

So far so good on holding a charge, I used it last night to play for 2 hours and the power level looks good still, chalk that up as a score.

Saw a platinum wavebird today but you can guess how this ends - no sign of the wireless receiver. LE SIGH, as they say on the internet.

Went to my local thrift store and found these. Price was 40% off tag price. So i paid almost $8. Mint and complete.
29505B55-D617-4320-86A1-C16F1BD12170-346-0000002B1BC4D1BF_zps4a4e1189.jpg

And i think the copy of the gta i got was version 1. Hehe.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CAGkrazy']Went to my local thrift store and found these. Price was 40% off tag price. So i paid almost $8. Mint and complete.
BAA1FAAE-5241-48B4-8952-CB8E386873B9-346-000000255858D4DF_zps615fef49.jpg

And i think the copy of the gta i got was version 1. Hehe.[/QUOTE]

I'll be sad if that was the Thrift Store in my area. :lol:

[quote name='Olengie']I'll be sad if that was the Thrift Store in my area. :lol:[/QUOTE]

No you're good. Hehe! Im probably 90miles away from OC!

I picked up a few empty NES shells for about 0.80 cents each, and my favorite find of the week was the copy of Tail Concerto that I pulled yesterday for about $1.09 with taxes. Its missing the manual, but I'm just glad to have a copy of it again since the last time I owned this was around when it was originally released lol.
8687108716_ecb2339b28_c.jpg

Picked up Digimon World 3 for 2.99, rock Band wireless guitar brand new for 10, and the complete manga of the prince of tennis minus 3 of them for 80. Not the greatest score on that last one but I couldn't pass it up.

Garages sales were a bust, but found a couple of things at the thrifts

All $3, CIB and in great condition:
Final Fantasy VIII GH (PS)
Resident Evil Outbreak (PS2)
Crimson Tears (PS2 Japanese Import)

Also picked up a Mattel Football II handheld for $5.

So I hit up my new favorite Salvation Army today and picked these up for less than 10 buck for the lot: Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego? CIB, Aladdin, Micky Mania w/ manual, and Super Mario World w/ manual. Not too bad for the price which was not a given as they were marked up for more. But the woman working the counter gave me a good, unofficial price on em. :D

8693756645_2a27f15373_z.jpg

Forgive me if it's not game related but I picked up Stephen Kings Dark Tower 4 1st Edition for .25. That thing is worth 100. And I am such a huge king fan lol.

Nothing in the gaming section of my local Salvation Army, but I did get a brown 30GB Zune complete and in new condition (minus the outer box) last week for the bargain basement price of $8. I tried to haggle to get the price lower because it wasn't turning on. I was hoping it was because the battery was low. No luck getting the price lowered any more since the lady working thought it was a cell phone. Got it home and low and behold...the darn thing worked after a charge! Still had some music on it. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. If anything I can use it for the gym since it has AM/FM radio on it as well. As to why an Ipod can't do that I have no clue.

[quote name='mitemouse']Found a complete NASCAR 2003 season PC game for .80, and it is worth $65-100.. That was a shocker.[/QUOTE]

whoa...this thing IS worth a lot...why? is it rare or something? a used copy is going for over 100 on amazon.

bread's done
Back