2014 MLB Season Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not just the homer. He's hitting the ball harder and being more patient at the plate over the last few games.
Yea last night BJ had a solo HR and a single. Has been getting pretty regular hits since Chipper was helping out. I hope he turns it around. I'd like to see him get on base more and start stealing some bases like he used to do.

Yea last night BJ had a solo HR and a single. Has been getting pretty regular hits since Chipper was helping out. I hope he turns it around. I'd like to see him get on base more and start stealing some bases like he used to do.
If he had a week or two where he hit the ball well in the middle or the end of the season it wouldn't be as noticeable. Its a small sample size to begin the season, so unless there is something that he specifically changed in his swing there is no reason to expect a breakout year. Justin on the other hand is already a solid player and a year or two away from his peak, so I do think he will show some improvement either this season or next.

If he had a week or two where he hit the ball well in the middle or the end of the season it wouldn't be as noticeable. Its a small sample size to begin the season, so unless there is something that he specifically changed in his swing there is no reason to expect a breakout year. Justin on the other hand is already a solid player and a year or two away from his peak, so I do think he will show some improvement either this season or next.

You're obviously unaware of exactly how bad BJ has been in Atlanta. Any production at this point is welcomed by Braves fans.

You're obviously unaware of exactly how bad BJ has been in Atlanta. Any production at this point is welcomed by Braves fans.
I'm aware of exactly how bad he's been his whole career lol. I get last year was bad for even him, but I'm pretty sure he won't be too far above the Mendoza Line this year either.

Is it sad that it is April and I've still given up on the Reds this year? I know it is a small sample size but it seems the Reds offense is gone this year... its a long climb to the top of the hill lol.

It'd also help if they had an offense besides Votto and Bruce.

Not that the O's are much better. As bad as the starting pitching has been, most of the games have been winnable if they could just score a few runs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it sad that it is April and I've still given up on the Reds this year? I know it is a small sample size but it seems the Reds offense is gone this year... its a long climb to the top of the hill lol.
I can't figure out what is going on with them. Was Choo that much of a spark plug at the top of the lineup?

I can't figure out what is going on with them. Was Choo that much of a spark plug at the top of the lineup?
Only Cabrera, Votto and Trout had a better OBP last year. I'd say he was a huge part of their offense.

It'd also help if they had an offense besides Votto and Bruce.

Not that the O's are much better. As bad as the starting pitching has been, most of the games have been winnable if they could just score a few runs.
Frazier, Ludwick, Mesoraco, and Phillips are all league average offensively for their positions, and Frazier and Mesoraco have upside. If Ludwick is healthy he could be quite a bit better than league average. Phillips shouldn't be hitting in the top half of the lineup though.

Only Cabrera, Votto and Trout had a better OBP last year. I'd say he was a huge part of their offense.
Thanks. I really didn't follow a whole lot last year, the Astros were what I like to call a train wreck. I did make it out to a game in Pittsburgh, but by not being in the NL Central, I didn't really pay attention to any of those teams.

It's too early to give up on any team, unless you are a Cubs or Marlins fan. Astros fans keep hope alive, we are a second half team.

Dang. The Braves went back-to-back-to-back with HRs from their 6-7-8 hitters. It's been awhile since I've seen that happen.

And Luis Avilan just blew a 5-1 lead. I don't know if he's hurt more than he's letting on or what, but he hasn't pitched near the level he finished at last season when he was one of the best middle relievers in the league. I know he's got hamstring issues, so that may be part of the problem.

Dang. The Braves went back-to-back-to-back with HRs from their 6-7-8 hitters. It's been awhile since I've seen that happen.

And Luis Avilan just blew a 5-1 lead. I don't know if he's hurt more than he's letting on or what, but he hasn't pitched near the level he finished at last season when he was one of the best middle relievers in the league. I know he's got hamstring issues, so that may be part of the problem.
And I turned off the game after that home run parade, woops. I forgot the Phils knew how to come back from a deficit like that.

And I turned off the game after that home run parade, woops. I forgot the Phils knew how to come back from a deficit like that.
They also know how to give the lead right back. Uggla crushed the shit out of that grand slam.

Dan Uggla, Smasher of Dreams

n810tiiuqycpb7zr9bxd.gif

He's a pitch to contact groundball pitcher who doesn't have pinpoint command. Worse, he gets crushed by righties, and walked nearly 11% of them while striking out only 13% of them last season. Unless he develops a second or third pitch, he's going to be effective at getting lefties out, but not much more.

He's a pitch to contact groundball pitcher who doesn't have pinpoint command. Worse, he gets crushed by righties, and walked nearly 11% of them while striking out only 13% of them last season. Unless he develops a second or third pitch, he's going to be effective at getting lefties out, but not much more.
Uh, yeah. He's a left-handed relief pitcher. Getting lefties out effectively is kind of the point. And I'm not sure how allowing a .208 BA to right handed hitters is equated to getting "crushed".

Your running to Fan Graphs every five minutes to try to disprove someone's opinion is getting old. It's baseball. Try to enjoy it without coming off like an asshole to everyone.

Frazier, Ludwick, Mesoraco, and Phillips are all league average offensively for their positions, and Frazier and Mesoraco have upside. If Ludwick is healthy he could be quite a bit better than league average. Phillips shouldn't be hitting in the top half of the lineup though.
Yea, Choo had a knack for getting on base however he could. I think he even led the league in HBP the last two years or close to it. It also hurts that the Reds really don't have any other offense besides Votto and Bruce. Phillips is clearly on the decline though and Hamilton has been a bit of a disappointment. If Frazier and Mesoraco break out it would help but who knows. I'm still mad about the reds blowing a 2-0 lead against the Giants in the playoffs in 2012, that was probably their best team in years.

Your running to Fan Graphs every five minutes to try to disprove someone's opinion is getting old. It's baseball. Try to enjoy it without coming off like an asshole to everyone.
I'm going to agree with this, it's getting very annoying. If I wanted an actual answer to every baseball quandary I too could go there and find it out.

Didn't he just get hurt last week? I'm surprised he didn't go to the DL since hammy issues tend to be lingering. Hopefully he isn't overcompensating for it and putting more pressure on his arm.

Thanks. I really didn't follow a whole lot last year, the Astros were what I like to call a train wreck. I did make it out to a game in Pittsburgh, but by not being in the NL Central, I didn't really pay attention to any of those teams.

It's too early to give up on any team, unless you are a Cubs or Marlins fan. Astros fans keep hope alive, we are a second half team.
Speaking of keeping hope alive, George Springer is on his way!

I'm going to agree with this, it's getting very annoying. If I wanted an actual answer to every baseball quandary I too could go there and find it out.
Glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this. Basically every time somebody posts an opinion in this thread, he responds with some statistic heavy diatribe about why you don't understand baseball. NEWSFLASH: it's obnoxious as fuck. I was going to post something about him jerking off to Fan Graphs every night last week, but I didn't want to derail the thread. Might as well pile on now. :lol:

Ok MLB fans, for the sake of discussion... Pete turned 73 on monday. Lets have a debate on whether or not he should be in the Hall. Personally, I think the all times hit leader should be in, as he only was proven to bet ON his team, and I think that Shoeless Joe should be in as well for as great as a player he was. I want to hear some debate on this... 

For what it is worth, this argument is not solved by FanGraphs or sabermetrics, as we all know the statistics speak for themselves, even if people feel Pete hung on past his prime.. I want to know if people think he should be in based on his contributions to the game or if what he did was beyond reproach.

In 1984, Pete Rose had a SPD of only 2.6 and an ISO of 0.51. And PHI/CIN had a -0.05 WPA as a result. Clearly, scientific proof that he was a detriment and therefore not worthy of the Hall of Fame.

I am getting tired of the Rangers thinking they can take the night off every time Yu goes up to pitch. The trend from last year is returning this year and it is getting old. 22 IP and the only thing they have put up for him so far are a bunch of zeros.

In 1984, Pete Rose had a SPD of only 2.6 and an ISO of 0.51. And PHI/CIN had a -0.05 WPA as a result. Clearly, scientific proof that he was a detriment and therefore not worthy of the Hall of Fame.
LOL.

All Time Hits Leader? Check. I say let him in. There's a lot of clutter in the HOF to begin with. At this point, nobody gives a fuck who he bet on.

I am getting tired of the Rangers thinking they can take the night off every time Yu goes up to pitch. The trend from last year is returning this year and it is getting old. 22 IP and the only thing they have put up for him so far are a bunch of zeros.
In all fairness, they were going up against Hernandez. The problem with a lot of Aces not getting run support is that they often match up with other Aces. They did still pull out the win though.

In all fairness, they were going up against Hernandez. The problem with a lot of Aces not getting run support is that they often match up with other Aces. They did still pull out the win though.
Last year they were 4-0 against him and made him look like a number 5 pitcher.

HELL YES!

I am a big fan of LJ Hoes as well, he might end up being a keeper. If not, I'll still buy a jersey.

Hopefully we won't be as shitty for the next couple years.

BTW Reds--Pete deserves to get in the HOF. Bagwell and Biggio do as well.

HELL YES!

I am a big fan of LJ Hoes as well, he might end up being a keeper. If not, I'll still buy a jersey.

Hopefully we won't be as shitty for the next couple years.

BTW Reds--Pete deserves to get in the HOF. Bagwell and Biggio do as well.
I'm a big fan of Hoes as well. But personally, I hope he gets traded so there will be Hoes in different area codes.

:lol:

Braves lose to the Phils 1-0. Tough loss with the solid game Alex Wood threw. The Braves' starters have been pitching miles above what people (even me) expected out of that rotation to start the year. The main problem is that almost all of the runs the offense has scored have been from home runs, which is pretty much what happened last year. It's basically feast or famine with that lineup.

It's like the old Earl Weaver adage: "The key to winning baseball games is pitching, fundamentals, and three-run homers."

I am glad you agree, though it is kind of strange for you to be excited about the Astros misspelling an exotic name like George is the highlight of his career.
Dude, it's the Astros. We haven't had shit to cheer for in 10 years. I don't care how bad they fuck his name up, I just want to see something.

I am glad you agree, though it is kind of strange for you to be excited about the Astros misspelling an exotic name like George is the highlight of his career.
Haha I completely missed that. The truth is out ... his name actually is Gerorge Springer and he's 30 years old.

Yankees turned a legit triple play last night (ie. not one of those screaming line drive/runners going plays). With that infield, this was a hell of a thing to see. 5-4-3, Solarte to Roberts to Sizemore.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/70087564/v32159635/nyytb-solarte-starts-an-aroundthehorn-triple-play

Gotta say, I've really been enjoying watching Solarte. Not sure if he'll be anything that lasts...but he's sure as hell better than Nunez, and in a lot of ways, he makes me hope A-Rod never sees the field again. But with Jeter retiring and Tex a constant injury, I don't know how desperate the team will be for a "star name". Not sure if the team is finally heating up, but man, they lit up David Price.

If you had told me in March that Giancarlo Stanton is a beast, I would have said "Duh."

If you had told me in March that Aaron Harang would be the best pitcher in the NL, I would have asked what you were smoking.

Maybe I'm just not old school enough, but what exact did Carlos Gomez do to piss off the Pirates so much? Not run full speed out of the box? Why the fuck are the Pirates insulted by that?

Maybe I'm just not old school enough, but what exact did Carlos Gomez do to piss off the Pirates so much? Not run full speed out of the box? Why the fuck are the Pirates insulted by that?
because gerrit cole(their Ace) felt he was disrespected. LOL

I'd love to know EXACTLY what Cole said, because...not for nothing...Gomez responded like a psychopath. You don't have to subscribe to the "right way to play the game" school of thought to see that. Gomez showboated, Cole claims that he said something like "if you're gonna do that, at least hit a homerun," and then Gomez went off like someone said they raped his family.

I didn't watch the game, but from what I gathered Cole was backing up 3rd and said something to Gomez while he was over there which made him flip out. If Gomez wants to stay in the batter's box to show up a pitcher, he should at least be able to handle a little trash talk without throwing a tantrum.

As much as I respect the Cards and think they have done an awesome job of building up their farm system and keeping their team stocked, they tick me off in the sense that everytime the Reds play them I wish the Reds would use their model. The Cardinals have a ton of prospects and I think Yadier can turn any pitcher into a stud, he's just that good behind the dish.
Well that's probably why Walt Jocketty was shown the door in 07 for Mozeliak.

I didn't watch the game, but from what I gathered Cole was backing up 3rd and said something to Gomez while he was over there which made him flip out. If Gomez wants to stay in the batter's box to show up a pitcher, he should at least be able to handle a little trash talk without throwing a tantrum.
I think Gerrit Cole and Brian McCann would be best friends.

Gomez is a punk. He did the same thing last year against the Braves when he hit a homer, which is what led to McCann blocking the plate from him after he trotted around 3rd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAxJunWPDdg

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back