2014 MLB Season Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tanaka tore his UCL. Going to try rehab before he decides on TJ.

Greinkes is torn so maybe he can pitch with it. Chances are probably slim though.
i guess earlier concern regarding his workload in japan, and the mileage on his arm is warranted. $155 million going down the drain

Last edited by a moderator:
^ they only pitch once a week in Japan so. Where's that coming from?
his overuse since his high school days, plus during his career over at the japanese league. i am not surprised tho. Yankess bidded for the wrong japanese pitcher. should of bid for yu darvish in 2012, instead of masahiro tanaka if they would going to bid that much money for a japanese pitcher.

It seems today might be doomsday for Dan Uggla's Braves career. They called up INF Phil Gosselin from Gwinnett and will announce a corresponding move later today.

his overuse since his high school days, plus during his career over at the japanese league. i am not surprised tho. Yankess bidded for the wrong japanese pitcher. should of bid for yu darvish in 2012, instead of masahiro tanaka if they would going to bid that much money for a japanese pitcher.
Easy to look at it now and comment how someone should have bid on Darvish. Yea, it was a good move by the Rangers, congrads to them. But it is not just the Yankees that missed out, every other team did too.

Tanaka will still be a good long term investment for the Yankees. Like Darvish, he is young, so for once, the Yankees actually have time for this signing to still work out.

Yeah you can't second guess the Tanaka signing now. He was brilliant and you can't predict injuries.

Went to the Mets game yesterday and saw that Chris Young HR coming a mile away. He's going to cling to his job all year like that.

Uggla suspended for a game as well. Gonzales only saying that it's an internal matter. They just need to eat the stupid contract they gave him and get him out of town.

Yeah you can't second guess the Tanaka signing now. He was brilliant and you can't predict injuries.

Went to the Mets game yesterday and saw that Chris Young HR coming a mile away. He's going to cling to his job all year like that.
I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that when Tanaka was still a FA being posted the consensus was that his ceiling was that of a #3 starter at best and it was a huge gamble. When it came to Darvish, he had the ability to be a #1 starter as long as he adjusted to MLB well, which he obviously did.

The guy was 24-0. I know record isn't everything but he was expected to be an ace. You don't pay a #3 $155 million. Even if you're the Yankees.

Time will tell with Tanaka. Dice k was brilliant when he first came over as well. He began to fade at the end of his first year. Had a good second year then he faded after that.

Time will tell with Tanaka. Dice k was brilliant when he first came over as well. He began to fade at the end of his first year. Had a good second year then he faded after that.
dice k also had arm issues later on in his mlb career, due to his time over in the japanese league from being overused. he later had tommy john surgery, which Tanaka will most likely need . Good thing for the Yankess, is that they can afford to waste money on signings that doesn't pan out. unlike other small market teams.

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that when Tanaka was still a FA being posted the consensus was that his ceiling was that of a #3 starter at best and it was a huge gamble. When it came to Darvish, he had the ability to be a #1 starter as long as he adjusted to MLB well, which he obviously did.
the yankess passed on davrish, mainly because of their previous experience with signings of japanese pitchers liek hideki irabu. and kei igawa, which turned out poorly. they only jump on the bandwagon in posting for japanese pitchers again, after seeing the success darvish had in the mlb, luck is just not on their side

While I still love the game more than HR Derby, I do miss when Gary Thorne was doing the Celebrity All-Star game and was able to talk to the stars at any point in the game.

A little late, but what was up with all the bullshit about Wainwright grooving a pitch to Jeter? Who fucking cares? Denny McLain grooved one to The Mick in a real game. Granted, it  had no effect on the standings, but it was still an official game with stats that actually counted.

A little late, but what was up with all the bullshit about Wainwright grooving a pitch to Jeter? Who fucking cares? Denny McLain grooved one to The Mick in a real game. Granted, it had no effect on the standings, but it was still an official game with stats that actually counted.
I think its a sign of respect on Wainwright to groove one and all because he's earned it, but you aren't supposed to mention it. By saying something, he is basically saying that Jeter wouldn't have hit him if he hadn't grooved it, when in reality all he was saying was he was trying to get him out by throwing strikes and Jeter hit him hard.

Christmas in July for Braves fans, as Dan Uggla has been released! They still owe him $18 million, but at least they are fessing up to that major screw up on their part. Now if only they can dump BJ Upton....

A little late, but what was up with all the bullshit about Wainwright grooving a pitch to Jeter? Who fucking cares? Denny McLain grooved one to The Mick in a real game. Granted, it had no effect on the standings, but it was still an official game with stats that actually counted.
People were mostly pissed because it led to Wainwright giving up 3 runs in the 1st inning, and you know...the All Star Game is serious business because of the stupid "homefield advantage" rule. I read a great article about it the other day that made a case for how much of a non-issue this would have been had it not been for that dumbass rule.

The funny thing is, yeah, Wainwright gave Jeter a pitch to hit...but that still doesn't make it "easy" to hit a double. He could have grounded out to 2nd like he's done many times this season. I guess it would have been better if Wainwright hadn't said anything, but Jeter still rose to the occasion and had a great game. Hell, his dive and throw in the 1st was equally impressive. If only for a couple hours, he looked 10 years younger.

I think he was really just ticked because he knew it was his job to cover that and he didnt.

New unwritten rule: if you bunt to get on base with 2 outs, you must steal second. lol.

You know, all those old rants about the Jemile Weeks/Jim Johnson trade are hilarious now. At least Weeks has contributed something positive to the club.

That was something they should have known about before picking him. They had the first pick. They could have easily seen the medicals before they picked him.

They cheaped out and screwed up. Should have picked Rodon. Lack of run support hurt him as he tried to pitch too perfectly, but that would have been a better pick.

*The above assertion is made by a Wolfpack alum.

That was something they should have known about before picking him. They had the first pick. They could have easily seen the medicals before they picked him.

They cheaped out and screwed up. Should have picked Rodon. Lack of run support hurt him as he tried to pitch too perfectly, but that would have been a better pick.

*The above assertion is made by a Wolfpack alum.
With the way the process works with MLB and the draft, teams don't get to put prospects through physicals until after picking them.

I know but they had the first pick. They told the kid they would pick him if he took below slot. They should have asked him for his medicals then.

I know but they had the first pick. They told the kid they would pick him if he took below slot. They should have asked him for his medicals then.
Teams want their own looks at players. NFL teams wouldn't be fine with merely going on their college medical records, MLB teams shouldn't be expected to be fine with going by college/high school/personal doctor findings.

Teams want their own looks at players. NFL teams wouldn't be fine with merely going on their college medical records, MLB teams shouldn't be expected to be fine with going by college/high school/personal doctor findings.
Your argument makes no sense. Everyone knows that the team would want to evaluate the kid with their own doctors after he gets picked. That doesn't stop them from getting preliminary information about the kid before they get to conduct their own investigation into his medicals. Something like a shortened UCL should have been known about before the draft and clearly would have shown up on an MRI. Obtaining a copy of one already conducted would have provided some reasonable level of doubt in Houston and probably detered them from picking the kid. Aiken then gets picked by a team that doesn't care about/know about such issue and signs with said team. There has been talk that he would get 30-40 in the open market so it isn't like other teams care about it like Houston does.

Your argument makes no sense. Everyone knows that the team would want to evaluate the kid with their own doctors after he gets picked. That doesn't stop them from getting preliminary information about the kid before they get to conduct their own investigation into his medicals. Something like a shortened UCL should have been known about before the draft and clearly would have shown up on an MRI. Obtaining a copy of one already conducted would have provided some reasonable level of doubt in Houston and probably detered them from picking the kid. Aiken then gets picked by a team that doesn't care about/know about such issue and signs with said team. There has been talk that he would get 30-40 in the open market so it isn't like other teams care about it like Houston does.
If he hadn't had an MRI before, there would be no record of his shortened UCL. Until the MLB adopts a pre-draft system like the NFL has, this sort of thing will happen occasionally.

Well Houston offered $5 million at the last minute, so they still wanted him. It's obvious they wanted him to sign below slot so that they could then use the draft pool money to make higher offers to persuade other guys who were set on going to college. When Aiken didn't sign, the draft pool shrunk and they couldn't make the higher offers to other players.

I don't think it's the dumbest strategy in the world, but if it doesn't work you end up doing what the Astros did by wasting picks in later rounds after you can't meet their signing demands. They do get a compensation pick next year though, which is 2nd I believe. I'm not sure how that works but it should be high though. If next year's draft class is deep, two high picks for them could work out well.

I love seeing the Natinals blow a 6-0 lead after 6 innings to the Marlins to lose 7-6. Miami scored all their runs in the last three innings, with 4 coming in the bottom of the 9th. Braves are only 1/2 game back now.

Dunno if you get MASN, but both FP Santengelo and Ray Knight were flabbergasted by the Nats game. Ray could barely form coherent thoughts.

A's call up speedster Billy Burns. If he gets consistent playing time, he could be in the running for the SB race. Yes, he's that fast.

Realistic outlook is that he's up long enough for the A's to figure out what's going on with Coco Crisp. You know, other than the fact that he's baseball's version of Fred Taylor.

Oakland is all in for this season.

As for Ortiz, I'm all about slow trots and showing people up. If the Rays don't like it, don't let him hit a bunch of homers and then complain about it.

Now the A's have traded Tommy Milone to the Twins for Sam Fuld.

I don't know if the Braves will do anything today. I've seen them mentioned being in talks for Andrew Miller and Wesley Wright, which makes sense seeing as left-handed relief is still the biggest need. I've also read they're in the mix for Chris Denorfia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back