2014 Yardsale thread

Keep in mind that most people don't have the ambition to actually sell their stuff online so even if they say they will sell it online for more chances are they won't actually do it and the stuff will just end up sitting in the corner of the garage forever.

The plague of a local game store is starting here, people thinking they can get $50 for a dirty yelliowed SNES because "the game store sells it for $80)....

Keep in mind that most people don't have the ambition to actually sell their stuff online so even if they say they will sell it online for more chances are they won't actually do it and the stuff will just end up sitting in the corner of the garage forever. The plague of a local game store is starting here, people thinking they can get $50 for a dirty yelliowed SNES because "the game store sells it for $80)....
I know you guys are saying don't offer more than $100 but currently I'm thinking $150.....seems kinda fair >_< This is assuming he calls me back too lol but I do have his wife's number and she was really kind :)

Cool stuff. Hook 2 of those huge old school speakers to it with a turntable and your in business. I found a vintage radio myself today. Wait till you see mine. When I say vintage I mean super old. I'll post a pic when I have time. Like your garage sale wagon also. Is that you daily driver? Bet it helps you get better deals as people figure you have a big family to support. Sometimes I think my vehicle works against me. They see a nice car and figure they can charge more. Today was a old school day for me. I also ran into Stonewall Jackson in the form of a house wife. I still came out on top.
Yeah that's my car. 97 honda accord lx. My sister may be getting soon since she's living on campus at a university this fall. I may get a new one and hope it has plenty of space so I can continue this hobby. Oh and really nice MPG too <_< I currently get 19mpg but feel like I'll have to stop temporary if gas prices go up to $4.30 again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know you guys are saying don't offer more than $100 but currently I'm thinking $150.....seems kinda fair >_< This is assuming he calls me back too lol but I do have his wife's number and she was really kind :)
Lower is better. Either you will get a completely amazing deal or they will come back with some offer. Be sure you know the max you're willing to pay before you talk to them. Don't be afraid to play the student loans card if necessary.

So I did not take pictures of everything (systems are boring) and I had 3 different collector friends over buying and trading for better stuff. Here is what I did take pictures of:

Was that all from 1/2 days of yard sales? I rarely find any games at yard sales by me, and when I do, they're typically garbage.

Today I got X-Men Legends 2 Gamecube, complete and great condition for $2, Karaoke American Idol 1 & 2 with mic for Wii for $5, and a sealed Twilight Princess on the Wii for $5.

The games in there were basically every Mario and Zelda game, along with uncommon/rare titles I never even heard of. Also the PS3 is backwards compatible. At least 30 SNES and NES total if I had to estimate but there may be more I only got a quick look. There were also so many Nintendo promo posters and manuals.

Edit: He also said that he hadn't touched the PS3 or any of the games in years so he wants to make sure everythi

Sorry for blurry pictures on previous post but it continues here lol. Looking for any CAG's advice. I asked a woman today if she had any video games for sale and she said her husband had a huge box in the garage he hadn't sorted yet. She called him out and he took me to look at them. It was literally every rare/valuable game under the sun; had manuals for everything too. I managed to take some quick pics when he was gone but you can't really see much. Saw games I've never even heard of, like Lufia for example (googled and saw how much it's worth...) He said he would call me back in an hour after going through what he wanted to keep/part with and when he did he said he needed a little more time and that he would get back to me in 1-2 weeks. There is easily hundreds of dollars worth of games here and would be an excellent addition to my collection, but I've never been in this situation before. I don't know if he knows what they are worth so when he later says 'Make an offer', how would you guys go about this?
First you need to see what he decides to part with.... then go back in person and let HIM start the negotiation. it's a good sign he did at least call you after a couple hours... but maybe he will not take any time in the next week or two to investigate...so when you eventually make contact (and try to go over right away) he will just give you a reasonable (non EBay) amount...

Good Luck!

PS Let him set the starting price....

First time yard saling in a while, started at my dad's place and went to the burbs, first sale FFVII, FFVIII missing a disc FFVIX and Tactics missing the manual plus some Ace Combat PS2 game for $20, I could've offered way less for them but I was so surprised to see them at my first sale in over a year and the lady said to make an offer, I just blurted out $20, probably could've offered a dollar each but oh well. She said all the other PS2 games were sold yesterday someone probably bought them to bring to mexico and passed on PS1 since they're older. Overall I spent about $200 and got a wii, a DSi XL, 2 DS Lites, and a bunch of games with a decent amount of mario games and a couple pokemons but nothing else very exciting, 2 wii fits both with boards, and a ukulele. I was hoping to find some older cartridge games but no luck, it is surprising to buy a DS lite for so cheap now, one for $5 haggled from 10 with no games, and one with 8 games and a loose hinge for $15, the wii was $20 because I bought their DSXL with games and some wii games for $70, then asked about the wii and they brought that out. The uk is Cordova brand and looks to be worth at least $50. And random game bundles for fairly cheap, people are selling PS2 Gamecube and even 360 games sometimes for $1 each or less now. Should be able to make about $500 off all the stuff, it was an alright day of stuff that's pretty uninteresting but easy to sell, I was hoping to find some SNES or NES games or something cool but I have played and sold many copies of literally every game found that wasn't a crappy movie game.

wow.....just wow....
And that was after I traded Conkers, Phantasy Star IV CIB and Captain America and the Avengers CIB for a Skyrim Collectors Edition and LOTR War in the North CE. Sold Panic Restaurant, some CIB genesis games, Azure Dreams GBC, Dynamite Kids GBC, and over 200 manuals and some more stuff I don't remember.

I'd say I stretched my $20 pretty far.

I had my worst weekend in years and everyone else has truly amazing finds. I think you guys/gals found a way to "siphon my luck". haha

14369416494_65e73aa0f1_b.jpg

This was probably the score of the month for me. I pulled up to this sale and was looking around and saw a box of DVDs. I started looking through them and the guy running the sale said he'd take $2 each. I then asked what he'd do for the whole box. After a couple seconds he said he'd take $20. I didn't really want many, just maybe $10 work so I said that I would offer him $10 for the box. I figured he'd say no so I wasn't so worried but he accepted! got the following:

DVD:

Family Guy Volume 1
Family Guy Volume 2
Family Guy Volume 6
Family Guy Volume 8
Family Guy: Partial Terms of Endearment
Sopranos Season 1
King of Queens Season 7
King of Queens Season 9
24 Season 6
24 Season 7
Seinfeld Season 4
A Christmas Story
It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown
Charlie Brown Thanksgiving
King Kong (original)
King Kong (newer)
Hangover (in German)
Hangover Part II
Mash: Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen
Escape from New York
Kill Bill 
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Full Metal Jacket (Also German)
Zoolander
Fearless
Bonnie and Clyde
High Noon
Charlie Wilson's War
The Godfather
The Godfather Part II
The Godfather Part III
The Proposition (Steelbook)
Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
Planet of the Apes (Original)
Planet of the Apes (Newer)
Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Blu:

Tron Legacy
True Grit
Cool Hand Luke

Are there any standouts that are worth something here? I will most likely take the majority of these to trade at Hasting or something soon.

14347249556_2735c430cb_b.jpg

Yard Sale tip: Any time to you see guitar pedals under $5, buy them.

Pulled up and this sale had some interesting items. after looking a bit, I saw these guitar pedals. The 2 larger being marked $5 each and the smaller $3 each. I asked the lady running the sale if she'd sell all 4 for $10 and she did. Picked up:

Ibanez TS7 Tubescreamer
Danelectro Dan-Echo
Danelectro Rocky Road
Danelectro Corned Beef

A guy at work heard me talk about them and asked if I would sell them. I told him I figure I'd get $80 - $100 out of all 4 of them or close to based on current prices from ebay and other guitar websites. However, I told him if he wanted them, I'd take $60 from him so he bought them.

I'm going to try to take pictures. Possibly the best yard sale score of my life. heavy sizer atari, 3 nes systems, 2 snes systems, a genesis, 3 n64s, a game boy, a game boy advance, a GameCube with screen, and a ps2. Roughly 200 games, and 4 trash bags of manuals, boxes, cases, posters, etc. highlights include panic restaurant, conkers bad fur day, NCAA basketball 10 (ps3), ocarina of time, majoras mask, tmnt 3 manhattan project, phantasy star iv (CIB) and the list goes on and on. And the best part?

ALL FOR $20!!!! She was going to throw it all out Monday!

Sorry for any typos I am typing on phone and shaking from excitement
Love to see pictures. what a epic find!

The games in there were basically every Mario and Zelda game, along with uncommon/rare titles I never even heard of. Also the PS3 is backwards compatible. At least 30 SNES and NES total if I had to estimate but there may be more I only got a quick look. There were also so many Nintendo promo posters and manuals.

Edit: He also said that he hadn't touched the PS3 or any of the games in years so he wants to make sure everything works
He may try to research to see what its worth. That nes looks nice and you should have throw a offer to see his reaction

Just got back from my bike ride. Checked out a yard sale with a ton of DVDs. They had a bag of retro games that I dug through. Nothing really great aside from Rival Turf SNES, Mario Paint, some black label NES sports games, Shadowgate, for Gameboy, Bill & Ted NES, dragon warrior NES. Then there were a bunch of N64 sports games. The guy asked for a price on the bag, I tossed out $10 and he said ok, but I had no money on me. Told him I'd hit the ATM, but I'm not sure if it's worth going back. There wasn't anything I really wanted and selling off all that stuff would be a headache for not much profit. What do you guys think?

Just got back from my bike ride. Checked out a yard sale with a ton of DVDs. They had a bag of retro games that I dug through. Nothing really great aside from Rival Turf SNES, Mario Paint, some black label NES sports games, Shadowgate, for Gameboy, Bill & Ted NES, dragon warrior NES. Then there were a bunch of N64 sports games. The guy asked for a price on the bag, I tossed out $10 and he said ok, but I had no money on me. Told him I'd hit the ATM, but I'm not sure if it's worth going back. There wasn't anything I really wanted and selling off all that stuff would be a headache for not much profit. What do you guys think?
My mentality is any retro game is worth a buck. In my area you can get $5 for any NES game including Mario Bros/Duck hunt.

Yard Sale tip: Any time to you see guitar pedals under $5, buy them.

Pulled up and this sale had some interesting items. after looking a bit, I saw these guitar pedals. The 2 larger being marked $5 each and the smaller $3 each. I asked the lady running the sale if she'd sell all 4 for $10 and she did. Picked up:

Ibanez TS7 Tubescreamer
Danelectro Dan-Echo
Danelectro Rocky Road
Danelectro Corned Beef

A guy at work heard me talk about them and asked if I would sell them. I told him I figure I'd get $80 - $100 out of all 4 of them or close to based on current prices from ebay and other guitar websites. However, I told him if he wanted them, I'd take $60 from him so he bought them.
That is a pretty good pickup. I paid $60 for a DanEcho, probably 10 years ago. I hated those little plastic Danelectro pedals though, I had 2 or 3 of them, but they were just like $30 for the higher end ones. My favorite Danelectro pedal was the Fab Tone. I keep 1 in my pedal board, and one beside my amp.

Those Ibanez Tone Lok pedals were decent too, I recently stumbled on to one that makes a nasty-ass racket but is pretty decent. It's quality stuff, just no one ever bought it because BOSS and DOD were making better stuff for cheaper.

Good find.

I would also say that doesn't sound like a bad deal at all, sure it's not an earth shattering great deal with the selection you mentioned but it does sound like the guy was serious about being rid of the stuff. I say you should go for it if your on the fence.

I had my worst weekend in years and everyone else has truly amazing finds. I think you guys/gals found a way to "siphon my luck". haha
I went to 44 yardsales on Saturday and without mentioning anything I found I could sum it up with 2 words
shit sandwich

Easily just had one of my best yard saying pickups ever and I wasn't even there to get them. My grandfather was out at one of the local city wide sales and came across this set of stuff sitting under a table not even out. Asked the lady how much and she said $20 for all of it. He didn't even haggle and took it all. I gave him $30 for it all. A lot of quality games and here and lets be real, I tripled my money on the Pokemon games alone if I sell some of it off.

uhMl7Ng.jpg

Easily just had one of my best yard saying pickups ever and I wasn't even there to get them. My grandfather was out at one of the local city wide sales and came across this set of stuff sitting under a table not even out. Asked the lady how much and she said $20 for all of it. He didn't even haggle and took it all. I gave him $30 for it all. A lot of quality games and here and lets be real, I tripled my money on the Pokemon games alone if I sell some of it off.

uhMl7Ng.jpg
Looks like the top loader even came with the dog bone controllers, nice find.

Shit's getting desperate around here, I've found exactly four cartridge games this season and they are all crappy Genesis shovelware. Even PS1 games are becoming more scarce (my guess is the two competing retro stores that have moved in the past year are the cause of that). Guess you gotta roll with the punches and take advantage of what you can find. I've had some ok finds on PS2, PS3 and Wii but nothing great.

Where was it you lived again? And what was your sleep schedule?

I forget.

Dang, here I'd thought I'd have the best find for the week, but it looks like we've got a tie going! Here's what I found:

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:24169]
 Grabbed these for $6 from a sale with a bag containing a Gamecube, a PS1, and some PS1 wrestling games. I tried to get the bag for $20 but they wouldn't budge from the $60 price tag, so I cherry picked. Always love finding PS1 long boxes.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:24170]
Grabbed these for $20 from a sale where I asked if they were getting rid of any games, and the kid there brought these out. Very happy to add Mario Strikers to my collection, and Double Dash covers my gas cost for the day!

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:24171]
Grabbed these up the street from the last sale for $4. Had a lot of fond memories playing them with friends in college, so I figured what the hey.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:24172]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:24173]
Aaaaand the finisher. 80% of those are sealed. Went to a yard sale advertising games and saw a sign on a table that said "PS2 games $6, 2 for $10." I wasn't expecting much, but lo and behold the guy had 4 boxes of uncommon/rare PS2 titles, many still sealed. We're talking Dark Cloud, Dark Cloud 2, Silent 2, 3 and 4, Shadow Hearts Covenant, Drakengard, Twisted Metal Black, and soooo much more (I did a little eBay checking and it's about $1000 worth of games).  I got to chatting with the guy and he said he bought them all intending to play them, but just never got around to it. I picked out 20 or so and he let me have them for $89, all the money I had left on me, then I went and got more money and picked out 20 more for $80. I've already put a few on eBay just to cover my cost, the rest are sitting in my living room for me to gaze upon lovingly. I sent the guy a thank you e-mail via the CL post I found him from, and he says next week he'll be out again with more PS2 and PS1 games. I am super, SUPER excited to see what he's got this time. I think I'm just going to try to roll up there with a couple hundred bucks and grab whatever he has left.
I would have hit a few more sales but I had to stop at Comcast to drop off a cable box, which took forever. Still, I probably wouldn't have hit that last sale had I not been in the area, so I'd say it was worth it!

Dang, here I'd thought I'd have the best find for the week, but it looks like we've got a tie going! Here's what I found:
You definitely got the best find. Possibly of the year.

Edit: NVM, didn't see the guy below me.

I'mma kill you all.

Love to see pictures. what a epic find!
I put up some pictures later, I think they are on the previous page.

So the total haul was:

Nintendo NES:
3 Complete Systems, one with broken AC Adapter
Panic Restaurant
TMNT 3: Manhattan Project
Top Gun
John Elway's Quarterback
Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt x2
Barker Bill's Trick Shooting
Bart vs the World
Kirby's Adventure
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Rocket Ranger
Bases Loaded 2
Star Wars

Genesis:
Model 1 System & Model 2 System
(CIB)
Sonic the Hedgehog
Mortal Kombat
Taz in Escape from Mars
Dynamite Headdy
Pitfall the Mayan Adventure
Cool Spot
Global Gladiators
Humans
Kid Chameleon
Landstalker
Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends
Sonic Spinball
Tiny Toons: Busters Hidden Treasure
Barney's Hide & Seek Game
Aladdin
Race Drivin
Talespin
Dark Castle
Captain America and the Avengers
Phantasy Star IV
Bart vs Space Mutants
Wonder Boy in Monster World
James Pond 3
Great Waldo Search

(Loose)
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers The Movie
Earthworm Jim
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic 2
Sonic 3

Nintendo 64:
3 Systems w/ 12 controllers
Super Mario 64
Kirby Crystal Shards
Duke Nukem 64
Mischief Makers
Mario Golf
Pokemon Stadium 2
Mario Tennis
Goemon's Great Adventure
Donkey Kong 64
Shadowgate 64
LoZ: Ocarina of Time
LoZ: Majora's Mask
Robotron 64
1080 Snowboarding
Pokemon Puzzle League
Mario Party 2
Rayman 2
Tony Hawk Pro Skater
Super Smash Bros
Glover
Diddy Kong Racing
Banjo-Kazooie
Gex 64
Fifa 64
Pilotwings 64
Pokemon Stadium
Banjo-Tooie
Space Station Silicon Valley
Bomberman 64 Second Attack
Quest 64
Mystical Ninja
Bomberman Hero
Starfox 64

Gamecube:
Indigo Gamecube and Black Gamecube w/ Intec Screen
Super Smash Bros Melee
Phantasy Star Online I & II
Enter the Matrix
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Star Fox Adventures

Xbox 360:
Fifa 11
Singularity
Rock Band
NFS: Hot Pursuit
Rock Band
Guitar Hero III
Rogue Warrior
Import Tuner Challenge
NHL 2K6
Madden 10
Madden 07
Halo 3
NCAA Football 10
CoD 3 Gold Edition
Kinect Adventures
NBA 2K11
GTA Episodes from Liberty City
NBA 2K7
Hail to the Chimp
PGR 4

Playstation 3:
Motorstorm
Rock Band
The Godfather
NBA 2K8
Guitar Hero III
Madden 12
Madden 13
CoD Modern Warfare 2
Buzz Quiz TV
Nascar 08
NBA 2k8
NCAA Basketball 10
Guitar Hero III
Guiter Hero Aerosmith
Guitar Hero World Tour
Fifa 10
Tiger Woods 10
Madden 09
NBA 2K11

Game Gear:
System with Charger
Tails Adventure
Super Columns
Xmen Gamemaster's Challenge

Game Boy:
Original Game Boy and Grape Game Boy Color
Kirby's Tilt & Tumble
Wario Land
Pokemon Silver
Pokemon Yellow
Lemmings
Pokemon Puzzle League
Pokemon Pinball
Castlevania Adventure
Wordtris
Pipe Dream
Golf
Survival Kids
Azure Dreams

Game Boy Advance:
CIB White System
Yugioh World Championship
Lunar Legend

Atari 2600:
1 Heavy Sixer System 1 Regular Telegames System
2 boxes of games, haven't touched them yet Atari doesn't do much for me

I think that is everything, though I had 3 friends buying and trading stuff as I unpacked and sorted it all and sold more yesterday so I may be forgetting some.

Pricing everything on VGPC it all came out to $2742

You definitely got the best find. Possibly of the year.

Edit: NVM, didn't see the guy below me.

I'mma kill you all.
Just so you plan the correct route, I haven't posted 6 sets of my best finds yet...I'm a little behind. ;)

But actually I don't think my stuff is as good as the last 2 pages of this thread (pages 15&16). :grouphug:

[quote name="dodgeme" post="11826004" timestamp="1402321715"]Im from the Western New York area. Not a lot of this stuff ever around with all the new local game shops that have opened.[/quote]

I am from the same area and the overpriced and terrible game shops have literately ended the game collecting hobby for me. Now people think it's all gold since store x sells it for price x ... What they don't realize is their dirt covered stuff is not the same as pristine stuff though I have heard plenty of stories about how people constantly get non working stuff from a certain chain here so I guess they are taking a chance either way and they don't give cash refunds no matter what so you are stuck with store credit if you choose to shop there. I will still go to the sales that I am able to per week since I look for items other than games though but I am not making a special effort to get video games ... Good thing I already have tons of games

Eh, just give it a few years. Video games are the new baseball cards/comic books, the bubble is due to burst soon enough once people move on to the next big thing and/or get tired of the prices.

Quite a week for some of you guys. Sadly mine wasn't as exciting lol.

$105

Starscream Transformers Bust

Shrapnel Transformers Bust

Ultra Magnus Transformers Bust

Devastator Transformers Bust

Pokemon Diamond

Pokemon Pearl

Pokemon Sapphire with Manual

2x SNES 3rd party controllers

Reseller was moving away and had a yardsale. Some good stuff but lots and lots of reselller left overs. The busts were pretty cool and I really only wanted Starscream and Devastator but then opted for a few of the others. I may keep those ones, I may sell them. I am definitely keeping Starscream - don't know about the rest.

$25

2x SNES

Superscope with receiver

extra controllers, nes controllers, etc

Bunch of ps1 demo discs - legend of legia, wild arms 2, etc

Lunar Silver Star Story hardcover guide

Lunar Silver Star Story softcover guide

Arc the Lad hardcover guide

Ogre Battle Guide

Castlevania Symphony of the Night guide

FF7 guide

FF8 guide

FF9 guide

Battle Arena Toshiden guide

When I found these guides I thought maybe I hit the jack pot. Asked about games brought a box with a PS1 in it. Asked about anything else. Lady went back in and found another box with the 2x SNES and other stuff, but no games. I left my number in case they find anything.

$5

Stress management DVDs - big box set of them

$10

Pokemon Monopoly - complete except for money (will buy some off the fleabay)

bunch of Pokemon toys

bunch of hallowen theme Simpsons toys from Burger King

Rugrats watch

few other random toys

Gameboy Color case

Asked about games, but nothing around. Left number.

$15

A disney art print - one of those overpriced ones they sell at Disney World (they are usually like 70 or something there). Is of the villains. Is already matted and stuffed, so I will toss it in a frame and give to my sister to hang up. I normally woulnd't bother with this stuff, but seemed like something good for my sister/niece.

Also mentioned they have a huge box of gameboy and gameboy color games but left them home. Gave them my number.

$20

Dominion board game

Pandemic board game

Munchkin game

TI-83 Plus

Will keep the games and sell of the calculator.

$4

PSP - came in case with a UMD and SD Card. Need to check out if it works with a charger.

9 new golf balls (came in little cases of 3) - will give to my dad

$1

Harry Potter legos - I doubt it is complete knowing how legos usually go, but I thought the minifigs or something would be worth it.

$5

5x shopping bags full of computer games - I have no idea of the value, but I thought with like 30 games there must be something worth it in there. I saw some I recognized - quest for glory, myst games, etc.

GI Joe VHS

Sealed Elmo DVD

Sealed 3 pack of Christmas DVDs

$10

5 different lego DS games

$20

Wooden book case. Seemed like a good deal and I needed another book case - always need more bookcases.

Not a bad weekend - but I must've gave out my number 15 times this weekend. Just kept hearing I didn't think to bring them, put them out, or I usually just throw them away.

Eh, just give it a few years. Video games are the new baseball cards/comic books, the bubble is due to burst soon enough once people move on to the next big thing and/or get tired of the prices.
I don't think it will be exactly the same. I think the older games will just start fading out since they will only be in collector's hand. The newer games for the most part just won't be collectible (except for maybe some Nintendo games), because they won't have the same nostalgia factor. My younger cousins have no interest in games that aren't brand new on the Xbone or PS4 - and pretty much just the call of duty, assassin's creed, GTA, etc. Combine that with everything going digital and I think collecting will start to fizzle. There will always be some hardcore collectors, but it won't be like it is today or probably for the next 10 years.

Big post incoming. First time yard saling in Washington State was mostly successful!
I knew you would have good luck out in the Northwest. I remember telling you it would be good. I don't live there but vacation every summer for 2 weeks in Oregon. Try the thrift stores out there too. I've had success on vacation out there. Great score highoffcoffee.

I think the vintage video game market is more comparable to toys. A lot of people buy vintage video games and toys because they have an emotional reaction to them as a result of their childhood. Sometimes they want to buy something they had when they were a kid, and sometimes they want to buy them because they wanted them as a kid but never got them.

Comics and cards on the other hand exploded in the collecting market for adults to buy as investments as a knee jerk reaction to seeing the prices of vintage cards and comics, and in turn companies took advantage of that craze and over saturated the market.

Epic first weekend in June in the CAG yard sale thread. Props to the following CAGs.
Dokstarr, ferant, Mike_TV, dodgeme, Mirpkered, ferrari racer, Neuropod, duderanch, mikespit1, highoncoffee and all those I forgot who contributed their finds.

I've got to get my finds posted from this weekend still. I found some stuff from two systems nobody has mentioned this weekend. Heading to my PC as soon as possible.

You may choose from Rock Revolution on ps3 or Americas Test Kitchen on DS. hehe
Omg, awesome stuff right there. Those need to be shared with the world LOL :lol:

I'll take the consolation prize, someone post the link of a site for cleaning the inside of carts? I noticed some of my NES games that I bought from a swap meet like 2 years ago are sort of dirty :cry:

Omg, awesome stuff right there. Those need to be shared with the world LOL :lol:

I'll take the consolation prize, someone post the link of a site for cleaning the inside of carts? I noticed some of my NES games that I bought from a swap meet like 2 years ago are sort of dirty :cry:
Do you have a NES Security bit? If not spend the ~$4 on one, though you can clean 99% of games without one you will need it to do a thorough cleaning of games that don't work or particularly dirty ones.

For just a quick clean, take a Q-Tip and dip it in 90% Isopropyl Alcohol and scrub the contacts of the cart with the Q-Tip changing whenever the Q-Tip turns black and repeat until the Q-Tip comes out clean after scrubbing.

If you are not satisfied with the results from that, use the security bit to open the cart. Use a pencil eraser on the contacts of the cart to scrub away any built up dirt, grime, etc until the contacts are nice and shiny. Follow that with the same Isopropyl Alcohol cleaning as above.

DO NOT USE THE ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL ON PORTABLE GAMES IT WILL RUIN THEM

Out of 1,000s of games there have only ever been 3 I have not been able to get working with the above method.

I think the vintage video game market is more comparable to toys. A lot of people buy vintage video games and toys because they have an emotional reaction to them as a result of their childhood. Sometimes they want to buy something they had when they were a kid, and sometimes they want to buy them because they wanted them as a kid but never got them.

Comics and cards on the other hand exploded in the collecting market for adults to buy as investments as a knee jerk reaction to seeing the prices of vintage cards and comics, and in turn companies took advantage of that craze and over saturated the market.
Yep - I agree the nostalgia factor is a huge part of the old games. I don't think the current young generation will feel that way - maybe they will though. I just can't see the current kids generation feeling that way later on.

With comparing it to comics and cards - I remember the Death of Superman. People buying boxes full of it to put their kids through college. hah

My god, huge congrats from over here on your find ferant. That's just spectacular. Probably the best find I've ever seen, personally.

Ok just saw a few of the others, holy cow what a week a lot of you are killing it! Congrats to all.

I agree with most of this, but you guys are talking about 90s comics. The comics market is pretty strong right now in general. Just like Anime, the market crashed around 2000-2003 and it has come back since then. Cards have bottomed out and won't be back for quite some time unfortunately.

Retro gaming will have the nostalgia factor for a while. We are at a point where the market hasn't stabilized yet, but once it does prices will drop, but they should be more consistent across the board. My generation has nostalgia for NES/SNES/Genesis, GIJoe/Transformers/Thundercats. Some of you "younger people" probably are more nostalgic for N64/Dreamcast, pokemon/power rangers. As far as kids that are kids right now, it will be interesting to see what they gravitate to as everything starts to go digital. I think the digital switch will kill a large part of the secondary/collecting market, but you may see some people "rebel" by going back to a physical format like PS1/PS2 since there will be an abundance of those games still around 10 years from now.

BTW: I need to get all of the special bits. Is there a recommended seller or material to look for? I've heard a lot of them don't hold up. I would prefer an actual screw driver with a handle if possible.

[quote name="Mike_TV" post="11826985" timestamp="1402337394"]Eh, just give it a few years. Video games are the new baseball cards/comic books, the bubble is due to burst soon enough once people move on to the next big thing and/or get tired of the prices.[/quote]

I know that people around here don't have the money to pay outrageous prices for games but apparently a friend told me this chain is owned by a rich guy so it will be around for a while, some of the prices are close or meow than the price of a new $60 game so I don't think people are willing to pay those prices. Around here it's very urban and in my city the only popular games are really COD, GTA and halo or anything that is violent, anyone who wants retro games probably already is old enough to have what they want. I have a hard time believing people would pay $70-80 for a beat up copy of conker's fur day when they could be buying the latest COD around here.

The flea market here just closed and they are turning it into a walmart so that brings a lot of small time vendors out of the picture for my city at least even though most of the vendors are moving to other flea's that are further out of the way of where I live. However that does not change the fact that the chains are moving to almost every city in WNY and conveniently placing themselves right next to or in the same plaza as thrift shops.

Games will eventually be 100% digital at some point in the future so eventually there will be a gen of kids that has not grown up with physical games so there will be no physical game collecting of games from their childhood. Most people cannot keep a huge collection of games for their entire life, eventually you have to give it up. I will have to give up most of my games in a couple years most likely, though I don't have that many compared to some people. Even Michael Thomason whom I recently had the opportunity to hang out with is selling his collection of games and it's over 11,000 games.

I agree with most of this, but you guys are talking about 90s comics. The comics market is pretty strong right now in general. Just like Anime, the market crashed around 2000-2003 and it has come back since then. Cards have bottomed out and won't be back for quite some time unfortunately.

Retro gaming will have the nostalgia factor for a while. We are at a point where the market hasn't stabilized yet, but once it does prices will drop, but they should be more consistent across the board. My generation has nostalgia for NES/SNES/Genesis, GIJoe/Transformers/Thundercats. Some of you "younger people" probably are more nostalgic for N64/Dreamcast, pokemon/power rangers. As far as kids that are kids right now, it will be interesting to see what they gravitate to as everything starts to go digital. I think the digital switch will kill a large part of the secondary/collecting market, but you may see some people "rebel" by going back to a physical format like PS1/PS2 since there will be an abundance of those games still around 10 years from now.

BTW: I need to get all of the special bits. Is there a recommended seller or material to look for? I've heard a lot of them don't hold up. I would prefer an actual screw driver with a handle if possible.
You don't want one with the actual screwdrivers attached - they use cheap plastic handles and are generally not built well. I have had quite a few that the handle comes loose and spins instead of turning the screws. The bits are much sturdier, just don't use them with any power tools I tried speeding up the process by using my cordless screwdriver to zip all the screws out and it cracked the security bit.

Could only go out Friday early before work again.  Hit an older neighborhood before work I don't usually go to.  It was before 8 and not many sales out yet.  First buy of the day was this 1950's era Motorola portable radio.  Everything looks great inside.  The old man says it needs a new battery.  The cord was still there also.  It's in surprisingly great shape.  Not video game related but I thought it was cool and a few of you might appreciate it. 

gallery_354731_8396_433084.jpg

Hardly anybody was set up and no games until the last house before I had to leave for one sale on my way to work.  This was another older couple just setting up.  These were mixed in with some VHS and cassette tapes in a box.  Asked about other games or systems and they had no clue.  Dig Dug, Joust and Q-bert are some of my all time favorite arcade games.  Had to get E.T. to round out my triple find of game, glass and plush in the last few weeks.  I went ahead and bought them all.

gallery_354731_8396_61886.jpg

The next sale just said Sega at the end of ad.  Swung by on my way to work and the Mom and brood were unloading boxes from the house.  She told me they don't start until 9.  I went ahead and mentioned her ad saying Sega and could I see what she had since I wouldn't be able to come back all weekend.  I tipped my hand early as I had no choice.  I knew I was buying the lot as soon as I saw it.  Her price was $35.  More than fair but I love the art of the haggle and I am a cheapass.  None of my haggling techniques worked on this lady.  I even tried the "it's missing the power cord".  Luckily the cord search turned up the second controller.  Was really pumped to get my first Saturn.  Sega Saturn and the first 10 games. 

gallery_354731_8396_1050180.jpg

Shining Wisdom is the 11th game.

gallery_354731_8396_645190.jpg

gallery_354731_8396_884360.jpg

A fun old school morning.  Still think I could totally kill it if I had any time besides Friday morning early.  Great weekend finds everyone.

Not pictured  $3 Razor scooter and two free tennis racquets.

This year's best find (so far) is probably between Ferrant's and dodgeme's finds IMO. Just the sheer amount of quality stuff in their hauls is insane lol.

Yep - I agree the nostalgia factor is a huge part of the old games. I don't think the current young generation will feel that way - maybe they will though. I just can't see the current kids generation feeling that way later on.

With comparing it to comics and cards - I remember the Death of Superman. People buying boxes full of it to put their kids through college. hah
I just bought the Death of Superman Trade Paperback at Dollar Tree....for $1.

Do you have a NES Security bit? If not spend the ~$4 on one, though you can clean 99% of games without one you will need it to do a thorough cleaning of games that don't work or particularly dirty ones.

For just a quick clean, take a Q-Tip and dip it in 90% Isopropyl Alcohol and scrub the contacts of the cart with the Q-Tip changing whenever the Q-Tip turns black and repeat until the Q-Tip comes out clean after scrubbing.

If you are not satisfied with the results from that, use the security bit to open the cart. Use a pencil eraser on the contacts of the cart to scrub away any built up dirt, grime, etc until the contacts are nice and shiny. Follow that with the same Isopropyl Alcohol cleaning as above.

DO NOT USE THE ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL ON PORTABLE GAMES IT WILL RUIN THEM

Out of 1,000s of games there have only ever been 3 I have not been able to get working with the above method.
Would this work on Atari games too?

Could only go out Friday early before work again. Hit an older neighborhood before work I don't usually go to. It was before 8 and not many sales out yet. First buy of the day was this 1950's era Motorola portable radio. Everything looks great inside. The old man says it needs a new battery. The cord was still there also. It's in surprisingly great shape. Not video game related but I thought it was cool and a few of you might appreciate it.

gallery_354731_8396_433084.jpg
If you like stuff like that, you will enjoy what I picked up this weekend. Look for the post in 2018.

Amazing weekend everyone, can't remember the last time so many people had great hauls at the same time.

bread's done
Back