2014 Yardsale thread

My brother has the best PS1 RPG libraries that I know of. We're talking the Final Fantasies and their Anthologies, Legend of Dragoon, Suikoden 1 & 2, Tactics Ogre, etc. He was on a kick for a while to own them all, so he scoured GameStops and grabbed them used in that window between when they first came out and when they started becoming rare. I've been trying to catch up, but at least I can borrow them if I get the urge to play.
Oh brother, how you flatter me.

Unfortunately, that story isn't really true. No Gamestops were scoured. There weren't even Gamestops back then; just Walden Software which eventually turned into EB (which is, of course, now a Gamestop). Sure, I bought a bunch of stuff used there, but it's because I wanted to play them, not because I thought they'd be worth money a decade from then. How was I to know that Tales of Destiny (used at EB for $19.99) would be worth $70 in 2014, or that Suikoden II (bought new for $40 with money from my big-waste-o-time Catholic Confirmation) would be worth $100+? It was 1998-2001. I just wanted to play some good RPGs, like I always do.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name="Mike_TV" post="12025842" timestamp="1408589493"]SaraAB: That's a very good point, and one I'm taking to heart now.

Ah yes, I see there's an option on Photobucket to scrub pictures as I upload them, but does anyone know how to scrub them once they're there?[/quote]

I notice that a lot of people put their addresses and home phone numbers and cell phone numbers on their public profile which leads to even more of this..

I just send pics to those privately through messenger to those whom I am comfortable with this way the whole world doesn't see them ( I have a very long and diverse FB friends list so I have to be careful)
I know messenger tracks just about everything now but I doubt one of my friends in the UK is gonna rob me cause I have a couple Betamax machines...

Finds 8-9-14

Almost forgot, find of the day was by my dad. He grabbed a free box of toys at a sale. There were a few interesting things but the best was a Transformers gen. 1 Bumblebee red. This was a very early one; it had the non-reveal sticker for the symbol. Unfortunately the stepmother snapped it up saying she likes messing with the simple ones. Right. She got it for her 2 year old grandson who wouldn't give a damn what you gave him as long as it had wheels. It's a shame, all the action on it was tight and was like new.

Oh brother, how you flatter me.

Unfortunately, that story isn't really true. No Gamestops were scoured. There weren't even Gamestops back then; just Walden Software which eventually turned into EB (which is, of course, now a Gamestop). Sure, I bought a bunch of stuff used there, but it's because I wanted to play them, not because I thought they'd be worth money a decade from then. How was I to know that Tales of Destiny (used at EB for $19.99) would be worth $70 in 2014, or that Suikoden II (bought new for $40 with money from my big-waste-o-time Catholic Confirmation) would be worth $100+? It was 1998-2001. I just wanted to play some good RPGs, like I always do.
Ah, am I thinking of your Gamecube and PS2 collection then?

I hit about 10 sales in OH yesterday. A lot of stuff I could have bought, but I am aware of my vehicle's space constraints. I did pick up  9 games for $15 at a sale, but nothing too good.

If I lived here, I would buy much more stuff and have a much easier time finding it. Maybe I'll buy a house and start filling it up! haha

I hit up some stores that I used to find deals at in the past. All they had was about 100 copies of MW3 on 360 for 5.99 each.

Completely struck out when it came to video games today at the garage sales, but found these CD's, been looking for Rage Against The Machine albums FOREVER.

1$ a piece

xpdgONN.jpg

System of a Down - Hypnotize, Mezmerize, Steal this Album

Rage Against the Machine - Live at the Grand Olympic, Evil Empire, Battle of L.A.

Five Finger Death Punch - War is the Answer, American Capitalist

The Best of Pantera

Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill

Korn - Take a Look in the Mirror

Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine

Nirvana - Nevermind

2 Headbanger's Ball Mix CD's both with 2 Discs and 40 Songs each.

Also not pictured are disc only copies of

Limp Bizket - Chocalate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water

Pantera - Cowboys from Hell

Completely struck out when it came to video games today at the garage sales, but found these CD's, been looking for Rage Against The Machine albums FOREVER.

1$ a piece

System of a Down - Hypnotize, Mezmerize, Steal this Album

Rage Against the Machine - Live at the Grand Olympic, Evil Empire, Battle of L.A.

Five Finger Death Punch - War is the Answer, American Capitalist

The Best of Pantera

Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill

Korn - Take a Look in the Mirror

Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine

Nirvana - Nevermind

2 Headbanger's Ball Mix CD's both with 2 Discs and 40 Songs each.

Also not pictured are disc only copies of

Limp Bizket - Chocalate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water

Pantera - Cowboys from Hell
I love picking up good music from sales. I've been looking to get all albums from certain bands and have come pretty close on most that I'm looking for. I believe I finished Rage and Metallica last year, still looking for a few REM and Smashing Pumpkins albums.

I had gotten too many and sold probably 100 or so earlier this year (not before loading them on my hard drive ;) ) one of which was the Headbanger's Ball 2 dual CD. I still have all my choice stuff but I'm still going to have to pair it down some more since I still have about 150-200.

I love finding CDs at yard-sales. But there aren't a whole lot left I'll pick up. I've got about 500 CDs now, and this is after purging a bunch I wouldn't listen to again. This morning I found some decent game stuff, but paid more then I would have liked. Stuff included: Genesis model 1 w/ 32X, a few genesis & 32x games, an atari 2600, an intellivision, and a bunch of boxed games for each. The Atari and Intellivision also had plastic storage cases that were well kept. I'll try to get the pics up this weekend!

Are there any good options to get rid of some CDs and make some money? I have about 300 TRASH CDs from the college days (I'm looking at you 50 cent, G-Unit, CHINGY (also, please don't judge me)) that are just occupying space. I went to Target every Tuesday and always picked up the latest release. Man I wish I could have that money back.

Anyway - I meant to post last week. Had two great scores. 1st yard sale was an elderly couple with a PS3 on a table for $5 bucks! No cords or controllers, they said it was their grandkids and if it didn't work I could bring it back for a refund. Sweet old people.

About an hour later I found Smash Bros N64 cart only for $3. I didn't haggle. Would really like to have boxed copy but this'll do for now.

Bunch of sales tomorrow - traveling about 30 minutes away for a couple neighborhood sales. Good luck everyone!

Hit an awesome sale today, got the following for $24!!!

IMAG1218_zpsf8918a30.jpg

This guy claimed he had over 14,000 games (maybe he meant 1,400?)  He said that last year he sold is PS1 RPG collection for $1k, and said that they are super rare now.  He had a couple PS1 games left he was trying to sell for $40 each (Azure Dreams, Star Ocean).  He said nobody wants PS2 games though, so those are $3 each.  Fine with me!  All games are complete and disks are minty.  First two in pic are sealed

Hit a few yard sales in town this morning before the rain started.

My first find of the day was a couple blocks from my house. A couple summers ago I bought about 50 PS2 games (Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 was in the bunch & minty) w/ a console from a guy, for $75 I think. This year, he apparently had moved two houses over and was purging his 360 collection. I bought 30 games. He was asking $5 each and ended up selling the 30 I got for $100. He also had an  Ouya (second time seeing one at a yard sale, first time at a price I'd bite on), for $20.

Lego Rock Band & Spiderman 3 are sealed.

Battlefront II is complete and in great shape!

I stayed in St. James this morning since I was taking my son to Tae Kwon Do this morning. But even so, I came up with a few deals.

14823474969_28435bbf49_b.jpg

Headed to this sale as it was one of the rare and elusive Thursday sales that occasionally pop up. I looked around and found the inverter and then asked about games. The guy there dug around and got out some Super Nintendo stuff and offered it to me. After a bit of talking, I got everything for $7.

200 Watt Power Inverter
NCAA Basketball (SNES)
Baseball Simulator 1.000 (SNES)
Beauty and the Beast (SNES)
Super Scope 6 (SNES)
Nigel Mansfield World Championship (SNES)
WWF Wrestlemania (SNES)
Official SNES Controller with Earthworm Jim sticker

14823650617_142247e975_b.jpg

Pulled up to this sale as I didn't have a lot of time so I stayed in town. Got out and started looking and asked about games since I saw some Wii stuff and the ladies running the sale pointed me over to a small table I apparently missed. After looking, I picked up the following games and offered $12 for everything. They took it and I got:

Super Mario 64 (DS, x2)
Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympics (DS, no label)
The Price is Right (DS, no label)

15009822312_965c22dc81_b.jpg

Very awesome toy find for my son. I pulled up and everything was dirty at this sale. I looked around and then saw some imaginex figures and I was told that they were a quarter each. So I bought all 4 of them for $1. Best part is that they all had working batteries and after cleaning up a bit, they all worked great!

So all in all I had a pretty good day but not without a couple heartbreaks. A sale popped up yesterday that mentioned vintage video games and to email with any questions. I emailed and she said she had a SNES, Saturn, N64 and PSP with 10-20 games for each. I asked her to hold them for me and she even said I could come 30 minutes early before everyone else to look.

So I get there 30 minutes early and of course it was already packed with people so I track down the person in charge and when I tell her who I am her smile turns into a frown and she tells me "I have been dreading this but I set everything aside for you but one my friends helping me thought it was part of the donation pile and brought it all to Salvation Army last night. But if it makes you feel better they were mostly Dungeons and Dragons games and you look more like you play gun games."

Of course now all I can think of is there was Panzer Dragoon Saga, Earthbound, etc in that box and I came that close to buying them.

It was a fundraiser sale for her son that has Hogkin's Lymphoma and people from all over town were donating things to help raise money so I did end up buying a brand new in box Vita/Black Ops bundle for $100 and she had a whole bin of iPods for $5 each so I bought all 19 of those. So far most of the iPods don't work but I should be able to Frankenstein them into enough working ones.

At the sale I went to before that one to pass the time until she told me to come as I pulled up one of my competitors who I am friendly with was carrying a stack of GameCube games that were probable 40-45 tall. I talked to him and he had pretty much every first party Gamecube game, but bunch of sports too. The guy was asking $1 each or 8 for $5 on the GameCube games so my competitor got all of then for $20.

Luckily the same seller had 360 games for 3 for $10 so I ended up buying all of those. Tons of good games and even some recent releases (GTAV & ACIV). I got all 36 for $100.

Bought a few other things but only thing really notable was a bunch of Studio Ghibli movies for $1 each.

Pretty good day today imo, slim pickings but A ok in my book. I'm really happy about the Black DreamCast (been looking for one for quite some time now). Evertything worked great especially the Dreamcast, paid $10.00 for everything.

[attachment=7561:photo(4).JPG]

I stopped at a sale last friday at about 9:30 and picked up this lot for $250(more than I like to spend on lots). I missed out on a snes lot with 2 consoles, super advantage joystick, 20-30 games(some boxed)(nothing extremely rare) for $100 that a guy was buying just when I got there.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:24674]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:24675]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:24676]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:24677]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:24678]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:24679]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:24680]

This lot also came with a ps1, but I already sold it for $10.

Man, you guys are doing great!

Here's my find for the day... an Acer AX1420G. The machine has a quad-core processor, Windows 7, four gigabytes of RAM, a one terabyte hard drive... and all for twenty bucks! It's not going to be much of a gaming computer, at least until I add a graphics card and a new power supply. Still, it's not a bad find at all.

Pretty close to being a bust over here. Handful of things, but nothing that impressive.

Siren PS2

Okami PS2

Lenore Tradpaperback

and a few more games for 50 cents each

4 disney pins for $1

8 MLP: Friendship is Magic figures for $1.50

Alice in Wonderland DVD

Ratatouille DVD

Lilo & Stitch DVD

sealed Ocean Documentary in a tin - DVD

for $4

$1

Prima guide for Quest for Glory V

Passed on a DS lite with a broken hinge for $15

I think I only maybe missed games at one sale today - everything else was just duds.

This was probably the worst day of the year - there was one real bad one back in June or May too, so hopefully that is it. At least I only spent like 11 dollars the entire day.

Nothing too great, but at least I landed a few things in the last week. Pretty slow summer this year. 

14992171276_77c779fc9a_m.jpg

$40. A little more than I wanted to spend, but I had two things working against me: a hovering crowd, and a family member trying to jack up the price. Lots of trade bait, and a few choice games to add to my collection, so no worries. 

14828639517_08e1401267_m.jpg

Fifty cents. Gaming magazine from 1983 - some pretty interesting articles, including one about the market being flooded with games. 

Got a few good items to post later - no photos yet. 

Also, landed this for FREE!

15012084731_1bbec62fef_m.jpg

Stopped by a friend's place and they hauled it out for me. Friends are awesome. Looking forward to giving it a spin in the near future.

Hit an awesome sale today, got the following for $24!!!

IMAG1218_zpsf8918a30.jpg

This guy claimed he had over 14,000 games (maybe he meant 1,400?) He said that last year he sold is PS1 RPG collection for $1k, and said that they are super rare now. He had a couple PS1 games left he was trying to sell for $40 each (Azure Dreams, Star Ocean). He said nobody wants PS2 games though, so those are $3 each. Fine with me! All games are complete and disks are minty. First two in pic are sealed
I want to flash-kick you in the chin.

Had a decent day yesterday, considering it was pretty gloomy and raining off and on. Nothing spectacular but still some good stuff for MAGFest and myself.

First find of the day was a complete PS2 with two controllers, memory cards, and a bunch of games for $30. Most of the JRPGs will go towards filling holes in my PS2 library, and my brother has already called dibs on R-Type. (Ignore that XBox stuff in there, accidentally put them in when taking the picture and didn't feel like re-taking it after I noticed).

Next up. a model 1 Sega with an RF switch, Sonic 1, Aladdin, and an empty Monopoly box for $10. Not a terribly good deal, but I hate walking away without buying when people bother to bring stuff out for me.

Bought this lot of XBox, Gamecube, and Wii stuff from a family with a few gamer children for $40. The games include some good ones I've been wanting to get for MAGFest like Custom Robo and Mario Galaxy 2, The cases and discs aren't in great condition but that's absolutely fine for as far as MAGFest is concerned. Heh, maybe if enough of them are spotty I can finally justify buying the Console section a disc resurfacer. ;) Also, they have an N64 somewhere, so hopefully they'll give me a call about that at some point.

And lastly I picked up this lot of 360 games for $50. XBox isn't really my thing, but we can definitely use these for MAGFest. I think I'm going to keep that copy of KotOR 2 as my finder's fee, though. Star Wars + Obsidian = Me Want.

Got this today for $20 total. Still sorting. Nothing really good cept zelda. $20 Can't complain. like .25 cents each game. Guy use to own a video game store back in the day. Been sitting in the garage for years in a moldy ass dirty ass box.

1408897798121_zps7b84d648.jpg

^^^ Great find. I have to say your picture is a little disturbing. You just found all these classic games and you dump them on the concrete floor?

$20 got me Balloon Fight (horrid condition, yet works!), Super R-Type, Sim City SNES, and Mischief Makers. Only what I could afford considering the past two weeks of PSN sales.

I stopped at a sale last friday at about 9:30 and picked up this lot for $250(more than I like to spend on lots). I missed out on a snes lot with 2 consoles, super advantage joystick, 20-30 games(some boxed)(nothing extremely rare) for $100 that a guy was buying just when I got there.

This lot also came with a ps1, but I already sold it for $10.
Holy shit! SEGA Channel! I was probably one of ten people who actually had SEGA Channel at some point. I got a free trial through the local cable provider - Pulseman was an amazing game that was only ever available on the SEGA Channel.

The Flashback 2 can be hacked to play actual 2600 cartridges, just so 'ya know!
Thanks for the head's up - I have several working 2600s in my collection, but it might be fun to take this apart and try the mod. It was free, after all!

There are 59 n64 games.

^^^ Great find. I have to say your picture is a little disturbing. You just found all these classic games and you dump them on the concrete floor?
Like I said dirty and moldy. 2 games have a lot of mold on the labels. I just tossed out all the game cases of the n64 games.

What am I suppose to do toss them on my bed. Those games are staying outside and on the floor till cleaned.

Just wash the plastic cases in a bucket or rubbermaid with dish soap and hot water. You can let them soak overnight. The cases are worth keeping IMO. It would be cool to see a follow up pic when they are clean.

Went back out today since there were a few more sales in the area.

New set of fossil cufflinks $2

I don't think I have any cufflinks - so now I do.

Complete vintage skittle ball - $3

Will probably just sell this off after playing it a few times

2 new small sets of Spider-Man Mega Bloks - $4

Frontier Wars for PC big box - new and sealed

sealed flight stick

$1.50

Crap week for me.  Went both friday and saturday, and the only game related thing I encountered was an overpriced silver slim ps2 (15 bucks) and a broken ps2 for 5 bucks, and I already have two black slims, so I didn't feel like negotiating with them at all.

8-25-14

Saw a local sale yesterday, so I stopped in. I saw his CDs were 25 cents each, so I made an offer on all of his media. Ended up paying $25 total. I haven't counted, but I believe it is around 180-200 items. I'll pull what I want, look up the rest and try sell the non amazon ones for $1 each locally. Probably not my best decision, but oh well.

I was out of town, so I hit about 10-12 sales in Ohio:

I bought these games for $15 total. Some I had to buy in order to buy the others. ;) Super Hero Squad is still sealed.

more to come...

:bouncy:

FINALLY got a PS3. Bought this 80GB model with the controller for $50. They told me it doesn't read discs, but no big deal. Turns out it actually reads DVDs at least, so maybe it just needs to be cleaned. PSN has good deals pretty often and I will get PS Plus. Feels good to have a fat model again, always my favorite version.

I might look into fixing it.

l7zPjkJ.jpg

FINALLY got a PS3. Bought this 80GB model with the controller for $50. They told me it doesn't read discs, but no big deal. Turns out it actually reads DVDs at least, so maybe it just needs to be cleaned. PSN has good deals pretty often and I will get PS Plus. Feels good to have a fat model again, always my favorite version.

Most likely a bad blu ray laser.

l7zPjkJ.jpg
Bad Blu-Ray Diode, so unfortunately cleaning won't help. Luckily it is only about $30 for a new laser assembly and if you are comfortable disassembling to clean it is not much harder. You just have to make sure not to move any gears out of place as those are a huge PITA to get back lined up as it takes a lot of trial and error. I prefer paying the extra ~$5 for the laser deck assembly as it makes it much easier to fix and removes a lot of margin for error.

Every hit this weekend was also a miss:

14863094737_f5dde47006_m.jpg

Grabbed these from one table for $10 total as another fellow was scooping up a large stack of Wii games. I would have preferred the Wii games, but this was a decent lot for the price. 

15049292032_532961cbe4_m.jpg

Almost left this yardsale, but decided to ask about games before I left. The woman running the sale pointed to the table just as someone else was approaching, so I lost out on a DS and games, but I managed to snag this and five crummy games for five bucks. Will probably just flip it, but the price was right, at least.

I just dropped $150 on a big lot. I think I overpaid. It was for charity, so I didn't really negotiate. I got a lego item that has a good amazon value, but I still think I paid too much. Sometimes I hate having a conscience.

How is Labor Day weekend usually? I'm not seeing many sale posted for this weekend yet. I honestly can't remember how last yer was. Is this generally a quieter weekend because of people going on vacation for the holiday weekend?

Edit: My text was suddenly really small.

My memory isn't what it used to be so I decided it would be better to keep up.  I realized I forgot to mention a few things I purchased this year one of which was a 2800 PSI (?) pressure washer for $70.  One of the first things I picked up this year.  Also forgot to mention an 8-Track player like new in the box for $8. 

bread's done
Back