30" Philips HDTV $269 *DEAD*

[quote name='Kfoster1979']Be careful with upconvert DVD players some can make the movie worse. By far the best is oppo but it cost 150.00 just look around and do some research first.[/QUOTE]

I'm very happy with the $60 Philips upconverter. Ity looks good, region free hackable, and does a above average job upconverting.

I called these fools today only to find out that my order hadn't been processed "for some reason." They shipped it out today and claim it should be here by the end of the week. Piss poor customer service...I hope I don't regret this! :bomb:

[quote name='zewone']1080i and you might want to run a HD calabration DVD.[/QUOTE]
Alright. Thanks.

Looks great, more or less.

There's a... dead pixel (I guess), but I only notice it when I look for it -- and I look for it, as I have OCD.

Other than that, I can finally read the text on Dead Rising!

The box was nearly destroyed, and the delivery people almost dropped it twice... but that makes sense, as the delivery agency was from Detroit.

Lifting that sucker gave me some Kmart flashbacks, so much so that I had a strange urge to push carts.

Oh man! I wish I saw this deal! I was busy with maily the day this was posted. BTW, I have a stand that is for a 35 inch SDTV, so if I buy a 30 inch HDTV, itll fot nicely on the stand right?

Got it all set up, and I like the picture, but it seems like there's something wrong. Everything is blurry, and it's a pain to see on text. It's like everything has a shadow. I've messed with the menu settings, but nothing is helping. Any suggestions?

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Got it all set up, and I like the picture, but it seems like there's something wrong. Everything is blurry, and it's a pain to see on text. It's like everything has a shadow. I've messed with the menu settings, but nothing is helping. Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]
Mine was the same way, I used the AVIA caliration DVD and got my shit set up perfect.

EDIT: I'll look at my settings on my TV and post them here.

BRIGHTNESS: 60
COLOR: 30
PICTURE: 55
SHARPNESS: 3
TINT: 2
COLOR TEMP: COOL
DNR: OFF
CONTRAST+: ON

[quote name='zewone']Mine was the same way, I used the AVIA caliration DVD and got my shit set up perfect.

EDIT: I'll look at my settings on my TV and post them here.

BRIGHTNESS: 60
COLOR: 30
PICTURE: 55
SHARPNESS: 3
TINT: 2
COLOR TEMP: COOL
DNR: OFF
CONTRAST+: ON
[/QUOTE]

Calibration DVD, eh? Where can I get one of those?

I used the settings you posted, zew, but the picture still looks all fuzzed out. I wish the sharpness had more of a noticeable effect. I'll try and get that DVD. Oh, and what's DNR?

Hey Mr. Anderson, try these settings too. I saw them posted on the AVS forums link someone posted in here.

Brightness - 35
Color - 55
Picture - 50
Sharpness - 65-70
Tint - 6
Color Temp - Cool
Contract+ - On

[quote name='Supreme']Hey Mr. Anderson, try these settings too. I saw them posted on the AVS forums link someone posted in here.

Brightness - 35
Color - 55
Picture - 50
Sharpness - 65-70
Tint - 6
Color Temp - Cool
Contract+ - On[/QUOTE]

Everything worked well except the brightness; I had to turn it up way more than 35 to get a decent picture.

A little trick guys

If you have any DVD's that are THX certified like any of the Star Wars DVD's there is a calibration tool on them. It's not as in depth as some of the others like Avia but it will do the job of tweaking it a bit. Just pop it the movie on the Main Menu look for THX optimizer and have fun.

Wow......the trucking company has been calling thw wrong number, and they apparently only have 1 two man delivery team that can deliver it. And the kicker is they can't come back until next week. This sucks ballocks.

hmm, i need some help, as soon as i switch my 360 to 1080i mode, the screen freaks out, any idea how to fix this?

[quote name='cloud520']hmm, i need some help, as soon as i switch my 360 to 1080i mode, the screen freaks out, any idea how to fix this?[/QUOTE]
Do you have the component cables switched to HD mode?

Mine came today, I went to Radio Shack and got a $11 HD antenna and get local channels very clearly.

I called today to make sure the order shipped out on Monday like the agent told me. Turns out it didn't. I'm so pissed at this POS company! :bomb: The agent I spoke to today said they will add expedited shipping for the delay, but I still won't get it until next week. He claimed the status would update tonight, but so far, nothing!

ya i found the problem, apparently the component slots in th eback arent HD ones, i didnt know there was a difference between CVI and HD CVI

Is there a way to adjust the screen position? Stuff on the HUD of games, on the right side of the screen, are cut off.

[quote name='cloud520']ya i found the problem, apparently the component slots in th eback arent HD ones, i didnt know there was a difference between CVI and HD CVI[/quote]Oops, forgot to suggest you check that.

Gah, the screen is still all fuzzed out, although I still haven't tried the calibration DVD. Do you honestly think this will help the situation?

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Gah, the screen is still all fuzzed out, although I still haven't tried the calibration DVD. Do you honestly think this will help the situation?[/QUOTE]
I don't know how bad it is, if it's just slightly unclear then yeah.

If it looks far from normal, I'm not sure. The DVD couldn't hurt.

Brak, as far the there being overscan on your TV, you can get the service code from somewhere on the internets (probably AVS) and calibrate it.

[quote name='zewone']I don't know how bad it is, if it's just slightly unclear then yeah.

If it looks far from normal, I'm not sure. The DVD couldn't hurt.

Brak, as far the there being overscan on your TV, you can get the service code from somewhere on the internets (probably AVS) and calibrate it.[/QUOTE]

It's not too bad at all, just enough to be noticeable. Text on the screen has that neon haze around it. But yeah, I'll try out the DVD.

After a long search, I found this model's service menu code. You need a remote to use it.

I'm putting the code in the spoiler button for one reason: Manufacturers do not suggest you use the service menu, as you can completely fuck shit up.

If you do use the service menu, MAKE SURE YOU WRITE DOWN THE DEFAULT SETTINGS AND NUMBERS so you can undo anything you've changed.

I'd only suggest using this for geometry issues, as I haven't a clue what the other shit is.

Also, the geometry settings aren't clear, as to what they are... so it's a lot of trial and error. This is why you should write down the defaults.

Press 062596, then INFO

You need a remote to do this.

I adjusted the geometry on my television, and now there is no more horizontal overscan. (Yay~)

where exactly do i input the code?? whenever i try to enter the numbers, the channels just change

EDIT: ok i figured it out, what good settings for the geometry?

[quote name='cloud520']EDIT: ok i figured it out, what good settings for the geometry?[/QUOTE]
I think it depends on your TV.

I'm still tweaking mine. There's a bit of a bow to the center of the screen.

its weird, all my ps3 and 360 games look great but when i play my ps2 games on my ps3 the sides of the screen bow in

Yeah. It's a great TV.

Still trying to get rid of that bowing effect, though.

I researched that horizontal bow, and I guess a lot of people have the same problem.

I tried tweaking the geometry, but I can't get rid of it.

[quote name='Brak']I researched that horizontal bow, and I guess a lot of people have the same problem.

I tried tweaking the geometry, but I can't get rid of it.[/QUOTE]

That's what I was telling you about on XBL. Mine has it slightly. Anyway, I still can't figure out a way to get of this problem mine is having. I posted on AVS, and someone said it was slight ghosting. There has got to be a way to get rid of this!

i got rid of it for the most part, only time u can see it at all is when im playing ps2 games on the ps3 and even then its barely noticable

[quote name='cloud520']i got rid of it for the most part, only time u can see it at all is when im playing ps2 games on the ps3 and even then its barely noticable[/QUOTE]

The ghosting? How did you get rid of it?

Hey, cloud, if you don't mind, can you post your settings?

The picture settings and the numbers for your horizontal and vertical geometry settings.

Anderson and I could try what you have, for kicks.

The picture bowing is driving me nuts. ;)

Also, have any of had problems with the progressive scan? I can actually see the scan line crawl up the screen, even when the screen isn't one solid color. It kind of morphs whatever is in its path.

Also, I don't know if you guys know this, but you can press the FORMAT button, on your remotes, to watch cable television in SDTV format, geometry-wise.

It makes cable look a helluva lot better.

When you switch back to 16:9, or whatever the Hell, and go to your 360 or PS3, or whatever, you need to, like, reboot the TV first. It'll look like shit, otherwise.

[quote name='Punk_Raven']How much does this TV weigjh? Did any of you have to buy new stands to accomidate it?[/quote]

It's heavy. I think like 120 Lbs maybe? It takes 2 people to move it. I did buy a new TV stand at IKEA that would hold it though. Don't remember the exact model # though. The TV is great for the bedroom.

I've had mine since Octiver 2005 (I bought it refurb from electronicsnation.com) but mine's up for sale as I don't use it anymore. I have a Vizio 42" LCD now that I use instead. :) I bought the Philips Extended warrranty for like $100 and I'm fully covered until October 2010.

A buddy of mine bought this TV from the sale. I finally got a chance to go over his place and see it. Looks great. I guess he was lucky and didn't run into any problems with the set.

We ran the Heavenly Sword demo, Super Stardust HD and Virtua Fighter 5. All of which looked great.

I did notice (as everyone mentioned) some overscan. Is it possible for him to have Philips send a licensed repair employee to fix that for him? Would it cost anything?

[quote name='asianxcore']A buddy of mine bought this TV from the sale. I finally got a chance to go over his place and see it. Looks great. I guess he was lucky and didn't run into any problems with the set.

We ran the Heavenly Sword demo, Super Stardust HD and Virtua Fighter 5. All of which looked great.

I did notice (as everyone mentioned) some overscan. Is it possible for him to have Philips send a licensed repair employee to fix that for him? Would it cost anything?[/QUOTE]

I too would like to know. Shit, I would pay to have a Philips repair man fix the ghosting on mine. It's driving me up the fucking walls. And to whoever asked, the Ikea TV stand is excellent. It fits the tube perfectly. It's called Stormark, and it'll run you about 60 bucks. I recommend it, it's a great buy. :D

ok settings are:
Brightness- 50
Color - 55
Picture - 40
Sharpness - 65
Tint - 6
Color Temp - Cool
Contrast+ - On

Horizontal
HP- 7
HB - 6
HSH - 89
EWW - 79
EWP - 15
EWT - 85
UCP - 16
LCP - 6
EWS - 0
EWC - 12

Vertical
SBL - OFF
VSH - 65
VAM - 44
VSC - 35
VX - 0
VSL - 111
VL - 18

Oh, and you have to reboot after ure done with the service menu or else the picture is horrible

[quote name='asianxcore']
I did notice (as everyone mentioned) some overscan. Is it possible for him to have Philips send a licensed repair employee to fix that for him? Would it cost anything?[/quote]

If he has extended warranty like I do, there's no cost at all. I had a Phipils authorized tech out here and they took the TV for like a week and fixed the overscan issue. mine was only happing in HD CVI and HDMI modes, though.. the regular HD TV viewing over the air was fine, as well as the other outputs.

bread's done
Back