3D Blu-Ray thread

AngellicLulu

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I decided to put a list together of currently available and soon to be available 3D blu-rays and I will keep a current list of the exclusives. I am keeping it to US available. I am only focusing on those blu-rays that require a 3D television/blu-ray player.

Currently Available (Non-exclusives)
3D Aquarium
3D Magic Forest
3D Safari Africa
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
Adventure Coral Reef Under the Sea of Egypt
The Adventures of Tintin
Alice in Wonderland
Amazing Nature
Amazing Ocean
The Amazing Spider-Man
Amazon In the Heart of Wild Nature
Arthur Christmas
The Avengers
Bait
Beauty and the Beast
Bolt
Brave
Captain America: The First Avenger
Cars
Cars 2
Cats & Dogs: Revenge of Kitty Galore
Cave of Forgotten Dreams
Chicken Little
A Christmas Carol
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Cirque Du Soleil - Worlds Away
Clash of the Titans
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2
Conan the Barbarian
Coraline
Creature From the Black Lagoon
Creature from the Black Lagoon (Classic Monsters Collection)
Croods
The Darkest Hour
Day of the Dead
Despicable Me
Despicable Me 2
Dial M for Murder
Dolphin Tale
Dredd
Drive Angry
Epic
Escape from Planet Earth
Fascination Coral Reef
Fascination Coral Reef Mysterious Worlds Underwater
The Final Destination
Final Destination 5
Finding Nemo
Flying Monsters (40 min. cut)
Flying Monsters (70 min. cut) (Best Buy Exclusive)
Flying Swords of Dragon Gate (HK - English subs)
Frankenweenie
Fright Night
G-Force
Galapagos Charles Darwin's Big Adventure
Gamer
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
Ghosts of the Abyss
G.I. Joe: Retaliation
Glee: The 3D Concert Movie
Gnomeo and Juliet
The Great Gatsby
The Green Hornet
Green Lantern
Guardians of the Lost Code (Brijes)
Gulliver's Travels
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters
Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters with Digibook (Target exclusive)
Happy Feet Two
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Best Buy Exclusive)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Best Buy Exclusive)
A Haunting in Salem
History in 3D
History of the World in Two Hours
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Theatrical)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (extended edition)
Hoodwinked Too! Hood vs. Evil
Hotel Transylvania
House of Wax
How to Train Your Dragon
Hugo
I, Robot
Ice Age: Continental Drift
Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
IMAX: Arabia
IMAX: Born to Be Wild
IMAX: Cirque du Soleil: Journey of Man
IMAX: Deep Sea
IMAX: Dinosaurs Alive!
IMAX: Dinosaurs: Giants of Patagonia
IMAX: Dolphins and Whales
IMAX: Grand Canyon Adventure - River at Risk
IMAX: Hubble
IMAX: Legends of Flight
IMAX: Mummies: Secrets of the Pharaohs
IMAX: Ocean Wonderland
IMAX: Rescue
IMAX: Sea Rex: Journey to a Prehistoric World
IMAX: Sharks
IMAX: Space Station
IMAX: To the Arctic
IMAX: The Ultimate Wave - Tahiti
IMAX: Ultimate G's - Zac's Flying Dream
IMAX: Under the Sea
IMAX: Wild Ocean
Immortals
Iron Man 3
Jack the Giant Slayer
Jillian's Travels: Africa
John Carter
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Journey 2: The Mysterious Island
Jurassic Park
Katy Perry: Part of Me
Kenny Chesney: Summer in 3D
Khumba
Kung Fu Panda
Kung Fu Panda 2
The Last Airbender (Best Buy Exclusive)
Legend of the Guardians
Life of Pi
The Lion King
The Lion of Judah
The Little Mermaid
Little Rascals Best of Our Gang
The Lorax
Lord of the Dance
Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted
Mars in 3D: Images from the Viking Mission
Mars Needs Moms
Meet the Robinsons
Megamind
Men in Black III
Monster House
A Monster in Paris
Monsters, Inc.
Monsters University
Monsters vs. Aliens
My Bloody Valentine
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Night of the Living Dead: Re-Animation
Nitro Circus: The Movie
The Official 2010 FIFA World Cup Film
Open Season
Oz the Great and Powerful
ParaNorman
Peter Gabriel: New Blood - Live in London
Piano Pieces from Mozart, Elgar & Pezzone
Piranha 3D
Piranha 3DD
The Pirates! Band of Misfits
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
The Polar Express
Priest
Prometheus
Puss in Boots
Resident Evil Afterlife
Resident Evil: Retribution
Rio
Rise of the Guardians
Sadako
Sanctum
Satchurated: Live in Montreal
Saw: The Final Chapter
The Scorpions: Get Your Sting & Blackout Live
Sector 7 (Korean - English subs)
Secret of the Wings
The Shock Labyrinth (JP - English subs)
Shrek
Shrek 2
Shrek the Third
Shrek Forever After
Silent Hill: Revelation
The Smurfs
Spiders
Sports Illustrated Swimsuit 2011: The 3D Experience
Spy Kids Game Over/Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl
Spy Kids: All the Time in the World
Star Trek Into Darkness (Starfleet Phaser Limited Edition Gift Set)
Step Up 3D
Step Up Revolution
Tangled
Tekken: Blood Vengeance
Texas Chainsaw
Thor
The Three Musketeers
Titanic
Titanic: 100 Years in 3D
Top Gun
Tormented
Toy Story
Toy Story 2
Toy Story 3
Toy Story Collection
Transformers: Dark of the Moon
Tron Legacy
Tron Legacy + 2D Tron
Tron Legacy + 2D Tron (Special Edition)
A Turtle's Tale 2: Sammy's Escape from Paradise
Underworld: Awakening
Up
Upside Down (2D/3D BD or BD/DVD Combo)
The Universe: 7 Wonders of the Solar System
The Universe in 3D
A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas
Wizard of Oz: 75th Anniversary Edition (Collector's Edition)
Wrath of the Titans
Wrath of the Titans (Steelbook) (Best Buy Exclusive)
Wreck-It Ralph
WWII in 3D
Yogi Bear

Coming Soon

TBA

The Hole
Madagascar
Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa
Resident Evil: Damnation
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

For Blu-ray 3D Trading:
Cheap Ass Gamer - Official 3D Blu-ray Trade Thread

Last edited by a moderator:
What is this crap?!

From this article:

Though Frozen was released theatrically in 3D, the studio is opting not to support Blu-ray 3D in the home video release plans. The only way to watch Frozen 3D at home will be via Digital 3D, which will debut early on February 25 along with the Digital HD version.
I don't want to buy a Digital 3D version--I want to actually own Frozen on 3D BD--I hope this doesn't become a trend! I was hoping Disney learned their lesson with the Oz mess but apparently not!

What is this crap?!

From this article:

I don't want to buy a Digital 3D version--I want to actually own Frozen on 3D BD--I hope this doesn't become a trend! I was hoping Disney learned their lesson with the Oz mess but apparently not!
That's a horrible idea.

I'm hopeful that they will release the 3D Blu-Ray outside of the US region free. Having a download only copy of it would suck. I absolutely loved the movie and was really anxious about seeing it in 3D at home. Grrrrr.

The FYE I went to had 2 HUGE signs.. 1 said "ALL blurays buy 1 get 1 50% off" and the other was "all USED blurays buy 1 get 1 50% off"

Real misleading so I bought GI Joe 3D for $10 and Cowboys and Aliens (new) for $7.00 just to see if it'd ring up for half off..... no go

Nonetheless, GI Joe 3D for $10 is a great deal.. World War Z 3D was $12.99 and Star Trek 3D and Hansel and Gretel 3D were both $19.99
Holding off on GI Joe Retaliations 3D for now... until Paramount hopefully releases the Extended Cut across all retailers with the 3D version.

That's a horrible idea.

I'm hopeful that they will release the 3D Blu-Ray outside of the US region free. Having a download only copy of it would suck. I absolutely loved the movie and was really anxious about seeing it in 3D at home. Grrrrr.
Amazon UK lists their 3D version as region free.

It seems odd that Disney has released a 3D physical version of Frozen in other markets, but won't offer an option for it in the US.  I suspect it will either change between now and March or there will be a different release later on.  I will likely skip now - $32.50 is a bit rich for my blood - and I will hope for a change in physical 3D BD being sold later.

It seems odd that Disney has released a 3D physical version of Frozen in other markets, but won't offer an option for it in the US. I suspect it will either change between now and March or there will be a different release later on. I will likely skip now - $32.50 is a bit rich for my blood - and I will hope for a change in physical 3D BD being sold later.
I've got a little girl that liked the movie so I'll pay that price. It's certainly better than paying $22 now then another $25 for the 3D release later.

This is what I ran across, when discussing issues with Thor not getting a full combo release on BD:

Frozen has a 2D combo pack which I would assume to be a general release:

http://www.amazon.com/Frozen-Two-Disc-Blu-ray-Digital-Copy/dp/B00G5G7K7O/

Walmart seems to have an exclusive bundle with 3D BD + BD + DVD + Digital Copy, which also seems to include music from the movie (soundtrack download like we had with The Muppets?):

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Frozen-3D-Blu-ray/91217/

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Frozen-Blu-ray/92904/

Not sure why there's two Walmart entries on Blu-Ray.com, though they both list out 3D BD + BD + DVD + digital copy.

Searching on Amazon only brings up the 2D combo pack for the time being.
Maybe this Walmart release Blu-Ray.com mentions is a retailer exclusive? We should know more in about a few weeks from Walmart.

The info above explains why Amazon didn't list a 3D combo pack on their website and they're usually the first to list releases and what's coming.

EDIT: Here's the link to the 3D BD + BD (no DVD, no digital copy) on Amazon.co.uk:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Frozen-Blu-ray-3D-Region-Free/dp/B00FZM8Z7I/

This is what I ran across, when discussing issues with Thor not getting a full combo release on BD:

Maybe this Walmart release Blu-Ray.com mentions is a retailer exclusive? We should know more in about a few weeks from Walmart.

The info above explains why Amazon didn't list a 3D combo pack on their website and they're usually the first to list releases and what's coming.
The Walmart 3D release isn't available at all any more and have been replaced with these Infinity Elsa and Infinity Anna bundles

EDIT: Here's the link to the 3D BD + BD (no DVD, no digital copy) on Amazon.co.uk:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Frozen-Blu-ray-3D-Region-Free/dp/B00FZM8Z7I/
Great info, thanks! I guess I'll cancel the Amazon UK order and wait for the Walmart info. I wonder how much they paid Disney for this?

The Walmart 3D release isn't available at all any more and have been replaced with these Infinity Elsa and Infinity Anna bundles
Okay then...I guess I don't need to cancel the other order then.

Well, so much for that idea. I'm thinking that Disney will get a huge backlash on the digital-only 3D release and they'll do another bit like they did for Oz Great & Powerful and make it available for cheap sale when you register the Disney code online.

Great info, thanks! I guess I'll cancel the Amazon UK order and wait for the Walmart info. I wonder how much they paid Disney for this?

Okay then...I guess I don't need to cancel the other order then.
If you only want it for 3D BD + BD and don't mind what looks like boring packaging, then I think Amazon.co.uk is the only way to go. Otherwise, it might make sense to wait it out and see what happens around release, as I think Disney's decision to sell Oz 3D separately when you register the code happened right around release.

We might also see a coupon at release time as we've seen numerous times for Disney releases.

Well, so much for that idea. I'm thinking that Disney will get a huge backlash on the digital-only 3D release and they'll do another bit like they did for Oz Great & Powerful and make it available for cheap sale when you register the Disney code online.

If you only want it for 3D BD + BD and don't mind what looks like boring packaging, then I think Amazon.co.uk is the only way to go. Otherwise, it might make sense to wait it out and see what happens around release, as I think Disney's decision to sell Oz 3D separately when you register the code happened right around release.

We might also see a coupon at release time as we've seen numerous times for Disney releases.
I'll leave the order there and see what happens between now and then. Honestly, all I need is the 3D disc. There's no need for the other BD because the 3D player + 3D TV can display the 3D disc in 2D or 3D.

There is another option, a little more expensive though. Zavvi has a beautiful 3D steelbook that is currently available here. It says 2 discs, so It's safe to assume 3D and 2D. With the Amazon UK being listed as region free and this also being a UK retailer I would assume (hopefully) that the discs are region free as well.

There is another option, a little more expensive though. Zavvi has a beautiful 3D steelbook that is currently available here. It says 2 discs, so It's safe to assume 3D and 2D. With the Amazon UK being listed as region free and this also being a UK retailer I would assume (hopefully) that the discs are region free as well.
That does seem nice though I'd be nervous about it not listed as region free.

I just got an email from DeepDiscount canceling my Frozen 3D BD preorder (and offering the 2D version for $19.99). :(

It seems like The Digital Bits was just going by the fact that Walmart had a listing for an exclusive 3D version of Frozen on their site (which is now gone). Now they are saying maybe Best Buy has an exclusive because they have a listing. At this point, I'm not holding my breath--and I'm not paying $60! (I love how when I add to my cart it says $59.99, List: $45.99)

I just got an email from DeepDiscount canceling my Frozen 3D BD preorder (and offering the 2D version for $19.99). :(

It seems like The Digital Bits was just going by the fact that Walmart had a listing for an exclusive 3D version of Frozen on their site (which is now gone). Now they are saying maybe Best Buy has an exclusive because they have a listing. At this point, I'm not holding my breath--and I'm not paying $60! (I love how when I add to my cart it says $59.99, List: $45.99)
WTF?? If that Best Buy page is to be believed, they're basically thieves. $60 for a fucking movie? It better come with a magic wand that can actually freeze shit.

WTF?? If that Best Buy page is to be believed, they're basically thieves. $60 for a fucking movie? It better come with a magic wand that can actually freeze shit.
It makes that Zavvi version seem like a deal. Very disappointing, this was probably going to be my only day one, near MSRP 3D pick up for a while. There was a 5% off web coupon for them, might lighten the blow.

5% off first order: ZV22795973
Zavvi.com: 5% OFF on your first order! ENTER REFERRER CODE DURING REGISTRATION and receive 5% OFF on your first order!

It makes that Zavvi version seem like a deal. Very disappointing, this was probably going to be my only day one, near MSRP 3D pick up for a while. There was a 5% off web coupon for them, might lighten the blow.

5% off first order: ZV22795973
Zavvi.com: 5% OFF on your first order! ENTER REFERRER CODE DURING REGISTRATION and receive 5% OFF on your first order!
I tried to email them but I can't find out how to contact Zavvi to ask if it's region locked. On the site it says it's region B.

Time to keep an eye on it and see what happens. ;)

EDIT: Best thing I'd suggest is to put the Frozen 3D BD into a wish list and check the wish list every so often. Best Buy will remove the item from the wish list if the item's SKU # goes as a deleted/inactive SKU.
I'll do the same. I have to wonder, if this ends up being a BB exclusive will it be one of those rare OOP disney movies like Beauty and the Beast that goes up in value?

As much as I disagree with Disney possibly eliminating 3D blu-rays from any release... in reference to Frozen the film was a paint-by-numbers generic mess. Not a very good film, yet it's making more money and gets more praise than much better and more deserving Disney films like BRAVE, which I would much rather support.

As much as I disagree with Disney possibly eliminating 3D blu-rays from any release... in reference to Frozen the film was a paint-by-numbers generic mess. Not a very good film, yet it's making more money and gets more praise than much better and more deserving Disney films like BRAVE, which I would much rather support.
I really enjoyed FROZEN--it felt like an animated version of a Broadway Musical more-so than any other Disney animate film--like they were using it as the storyboards to plot out the eventual stage version. Have to disagree on BRAVE--I was hugely disappointed. Was expecting more of an adventure like BRAVEHEART-meets-MULAN and not something closer to BROTHER BEAR.

[quote name="stealthenight" post="11448916" timestamp="1389880342"]As much as I disagree with Disney possibly eliminating 3D blu-rays from any release... in reference to Frozen the film was a paint-by-numbers generic mess. Not a very good film, yet it's making more money and gets more praise than much better and more deserving Disney films like BRAVE, which I would much rather support.[/quote]

Not to threadjack, but I think you're in the minority in both of those opinions. I wanted so badly to love Brave, and it just really didn't deliver on its promise. And you accuse Frozen of being formulaic when Brave is the one that is basically an inversion of Brother Bear, as others have pointed out. I like it, but it could have been so much more.

Meanwhile, with Frozen, I went in with middling expectations and was blown away. I'm not sure how you denigrate it as formulaic (and I can't get into a detailed discussion here without straying into spoilers), but I was quite pleased with the way turned many genre stereotypes on their heads.

As a whole, looking at the last 3 or 4 pictures from Disney (Princess & the Frog, Tangled, Wreck It Ralph, Frozen) and Pixar (Cars 2, Brave, Monsters University), it's apparent that the former is ascendant while the latter is in a period of decline. While Lasseter and co. might not admit it, since he took over Disney animation, it's likely that the best story folks are being recruited on the Disney side, and Pixar is not as autonomous as it once was. That's my theory anyway. Or maybe these things are cyclical. Toy Story hit as Disney's second golden age was ending (Pocahontas came out the same year). And they pretty much dominated the next decade and a half as the kings of quality animation, particularly in terms of getting the story just right. Now I think the pendulum has swung back in Disney's direction.

There's only one answer for Pixar: Bring back Brad Bird! ;)

Back on topic, I really don't understand the decision to make the 3D version of the film download only. Isn't that the version that most needs to be on a disc given the huge amount of data, and the version that people would be most compelled to buy a physical copy of rather than download?

I really enjoyed FROZEN--it felt like an animated version of a Broadway Musical more-so than any other Disney animate film--like they were using it as the storyboards to plot out the eventual stage version. Have to disagree on BRAVE--I was hugely disappointed. Was expecting more of an adventure like BRAVEHEART-meets-MULAN and not something closer to BROTHER BEAR.
Brave's Scottish humor went way over most American's heads. The story was more of a classic storybook tale than an epic tale, it seems people expect large-scale, in-your face, non-subtlety these days... Merida was a good role model message for young girls not needing a suitor to complete her, unlike Frozen... Frozen went with a lot of stereotypes against women (the two girls swooning for chocolate, the one falling in love instantly and then when that doesn't work out she goes straight to the next guy, and now people are even trying to spin that Frozen's ice queen is the first lesbian Dinsey princess with is total nonsense) - there was a subtlety to Brave that was refreshing. A lot of Americans were left disappointed based on their own expectations that Hollywood has led them to that things need to continually bigger and better, which might be why you expected Braveheart and Mulan epic-style scale. But even with those expectations comparing it to BROTHER BEAR (a horrible film) is completely off-base. Brave went against archetypes in it's storytelling, which also may have threatened people (people dislike change) and Merida was not as sexualized as most of the Disney princesses (also a possible threat to some people, that women could be seen as more than just sex symbols, which Frozen definitely implied with it's princesses) ... I could go on, but you get what I'm saying. Frozen was created for the everyman, as a marketing machine. Even the castle was designed in the film with Disney Parks in mind so it could be replicated easily. It pushed no boundaries, only reinforced negative ones. At least Brave embraced the Scottish theme, where as Frozen whitewashed the Norweigan culture sans the stereotype of the shopkeeper - if not for that, you would probably not even have known it was meant to be Norway...

Back on topic, I really don't understand the decision to make the 3D version of the film download only. Isn't that the version that most needs to be on a disc given the huge amount of data, and the version that people would be most compelled to buy a physical copy of rather than download?
3D is normally on a separate disc when packaged in a multi-pack if there's a lot of supplemental materials included in the release. Those supplemental materials end up on the 2D disc with the 2D version of the movie.

And yes, the 3D version would be about 2x larger than the 2D release as downloadable, so it would take longer to download than a 2D version.

Tagging since I'm just now getting a 3DTV anybody have any good movies to recommend that came out in the last year?
Some other ones for great 3D from last year:

Monsters University

Epic

Cars (re-release in 3D)

Despicable Me 2

Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2 (so say the reviews, as it's not out yet)

Hobbit: Unexpected Journey

Wreck It Ralph

(Hello, double post.)

As much as I disagree with Disney possibly eliminating 3D blu-rays from any release...
Is this a rumour that started in this thread, or is it bigger than that? Download only 3D films? Have they even figured out a good system for playing those back? I have yet to see a 3D Digital Copy.

Is this a rumour that started in this thread, or is it bigger than that? Download only 3D films? Have they even figured out a good system for playing those back? I have yet to see a 3D Digital Copy.
I haven't been able to find the raw press release but several sites are reporting that it mentions both a Digital 3D and Digital HD available early on February 25 before the March release, for which no 3D Blu-ray is listed.

I haven't been able to find the raw press release but several sites are reporting that it mentions both a Digital 3D and Digital HD available early on February 25 before the March release, for which no 3D Blu-ray is listed.
There's still the existing BestBuy item under SKU # 24010052 that is still sitting in my Wish List as a valid item, so until that disappears, it may be a stealth release by Best Buy as a 3D title.

More curious is this item showing up on BB.com:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/bd-frozen/2948017.p?id=1219084308987&skuId=2948017&st=frozen&cp=1&lp=1

It's listing as "Buena Vista - BD Frozen", though the model is PRESELL, which may be a steelbook or some other item that's a pre-sell for the movie. That's worth keeping an eye on as well.

There's still the existing BestBuy item under SKU # 24010052 that is still sitting in my Wish List as a valid item, so until that disappears, it may be a stealth release by Best Buy as a 3D title.

More curious is this item showing up on BB.com:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/bd-frozen/2948017.p?id=1219084308987&skuId=2948017&st=frozen&cp=1&lp=1

It's listing as "Buena Vista - BD Frozen", though the model is PRESELL, which may be a steelbook or some other item that's a pre-sell for the movie. That's worth keeping an eye on as well.
Bringing steel books back to the US would be wonderful. I would even welcome a big christmas steel book disney sale like Best Buy had years and years ago and re-buy a bunch of stuff.

:( This is so annoying--looks like importing may be only option
No worries. I know a guy.

1cdeb7fc2151330988af2e314f1e7657.jpg

I found this page http://www.bestbuy.com/site/frozen-blu-ray-3d/24010052.p?id=2966123&skuId=24010052 with that sku and it says that item in no longer available.
Removed from my Wish List when I checked on it. Guess it's gone and not to return, unless it comes back under a new SKU.

The one I linked more recently with the PRESELL item listed, that's still there.

So far, there's this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/frozen-2-pack-2-disc-digital-copy-blu-ray-disc/3642002.p?id=2966123&skuId=3642002

And this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/frozen-2-disc-blu-ray-disc/24010034.p?id=2966123&skuId=24010034

First one is $26.99 and shows the cover art we've seen previously, the second one is $34.99 and has no cover art. $34.99 is the starting price of a number of 3D titles, so we'll have to see how that continues to exist or not.

Removed from my Wish List when I checked on it. Guess it's gone and not to return, unless it comes back under a new SKU.

The one I linked more recently with the PRESELL item listed, that's still there.

So far, there's this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/frozen-2-pack-2-disc-digital-copy-blu-ray-disc/3642002.p?id=2966123&skuId=3642002

And this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/frozen-2-disc-blu-ray-disc/24010034.p?id=2966123&skuId=24010034

First one is $26.99 and shows the cover art we've seen previously, the second one is $34.99 and has no cover art. $34.99 is the starting price of a number of 3D titles, so we'll have to see how that continues to exist or not.
It's probably one of the Disney Skylanders packs.

bread's done
Back