3DS[i] eShop Shop Thread:**LAST DAY TO GET ZELDA 4 SWORDS FOR FREE**

[quote name='crunchewy']I play mostly on the train and bus, and they are noisy environments. It's a challenge trying to blow into the mic before the train blows into it for me. I'm managing, though I pretty much have to stop playing when I get to a flute part and do those when I'm off the train/bus.[/QUOTE]

Haha, the same thing happened to me!

On the train/bus: turn the mic sensitivity way up, and cover the mic when you don't want to be blowing. That should work, right?

No. If you're blowing into it in public, you look like an idiot. Plus the mechanic of moving the flute back and forth to blow into it in a pattern - particularly when you have to perform a song to unlock rail maps - requires a degree of precision that you can't achieve while trying to retain your dignity.

I downloaded Photo Dojo yesterday and fired it up... and then realized that I'm probably too lazy to take all those pictures. :) I also downloaded Donkey Kong Jr. G&W. It's pretty great. Perfect for the lazy sort.

fNintendo DSiWare

Looksley's Line Up
Publisher:
Nintendo
Players: 1
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: Looksley the rabbit needs your assistance to finish the story he's writing. Guide him through a world based on famous fairy tales and folk stories from around the globe, helping him to gather inspiration by finding hidden items along the way. In this unique take on hidden-picture games, you'll move the Nintendo DSi system to change your view of various 3-D dioramas. Peer deeply into the scene as you shift the system, watching as layers within the diorama move to reveal previously unseen letters and objects. As you collect these letters and objects, you'll meet new characters and spell words that will open additional stages with more sets of hidden items to find. Particular stages contain secret pictures, testing your observation skills even further. Scour each scene's incredible depth and detail as you lend Looksley a hand in completing his masterpiece. Players of all ages will love this visual puzzle challenge and be amazed to see that even the same spot can look different from another angle.

Frogger Returns
Publisher:
Konami Digital Entertainment
Description: Frogger is coming to a Nintendo DSi system near you! Frogger Returns takes the heart-pounding challenge of arcade Frogger and moves it into the next dimension. Classic top-down 2-D game play is updated with colorful 3-D graphics, a new perspective, new levels, new enemies and game-changing power-ups to dodge and use. Four stages take the original journey of Frogger from highway to home through a new adventure. Use multiple modes to attack your top scores, race against the clock or just get Frogger to his home pad.

A Topsy Turvy Life: Turvy Drops
Publisher:
TECMO KOEI GAMES
Price: 200 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: Turn the Nintendo DSi system upside down and draw blocks on the touch screen to fill spaces in this topsy-turvy take on puzzle games. Play "Endless Mode" to see just how many points you can get as the blocks on the bottom screen fill faster and faster. The more blocks you clear at once, the higher your score. Play "Puzzle Mode" to test your brain against 30 mind-bending puzzles. Clear all the blocks within the specified time and turn limits. Can you solve the puzzles before time is up?

Flips: More Bloody Horowitz
Publisher:
Electronic Arts
Description: Anthony Horowitz, the best-selling creator of Alex Rider, gives horror a whole new look in this mischievous collection of macabre tales, exclusive to the Flips series. Including three new stories – each with its own unique feature, such as illustrations and sound effects – Flips: More Bloody Horowitz finds Horowitz at his most wicked. The Flips series brings modern classics to the Nintendo DSiWare service, allowing readers to collect, solve, interact and learn as they progress through the various stories and challenges.

Ok so Looksley's is an extraordinarily brainshock experience.

If you get it to work right.

It says to be in a well lit room, but I can't seem to get it to work correctly. I'm going to try it in other rooms later, but the problem is that it needs to center out your face from everything else. If you've ever used Photoshop, you might be familiar with trying to change skin tones in pictures. This requires you to tell PS to pick out only the tones you want to change. But the problem is that if ANYTHING else in the picture has the same tone, you'll end up changing it as well. For example, paint colors on the wall.

So, the problem with the game is that - because it relies entirely on the camera and no kind of accelerometer/gyroscope - it has to be smart enough to pick out your face from everything else. If you were in front of a solid blue background, you're probably good. But what might happen is that it'll confuse part of your face with other objects/areas due to tone. There is a calibration mechanism you have to go through before playing the game, but it's somewhat vague on how you should position your head/face. Further, while it DOES show the results of "this is what I think your face boundaries are," I couldn't ever get it to adequately tell my face apart from the wall. So, self esteem takes a hit! Hooray! It doesn't help that the calibration is sort of...guess and check. It says you need to only have your skin tones in the boundary box it shows, but I can't tell if this means the upper part of my head, or the lower part, or whatever. If it DID have accelerometers/gyroscopes of some kind, all of this might be alleviated, since there could be a hybrid system of head tracking coupled with physical movement, and the game could probably better triangulate the proper angles it needs to give you.

When I tried playing it, the concept sort of worked. But it was not nearly as smooth and fluid to really make the game easy to play, and didn't look NEAR as good as the videos on Youtube from a few weeks ago. Further, it requires you to move a cursor on the screen to pick out what you want to identify. So what happens is that - for right handed people - you're forced to hold only the touchscreen part of the DSi instead of at the hinge, which would give a more balanced grip. And when you need to move the cursor with your thumb, you'll invariably move the system, which changes the image. This can make selecting things difficult. It doesn't help that, again, I had issues with getting it to fully recognize what it is supposed to be tracking, which caused the screen to sometimes A) not move at all, B) move in the wrong direction, or C) be jerky all over.

So, given these issues, the game comes off far less interesting than it should. This makes me think head tracking isn't NEARLY as cool as people want to make it out to be. Some might recall the video of some guy with a Wii from a while back doing head tracking, but the advantage he had there was that his system relied on a Wiimote sending signals. In Looksley's case, you rely solely on the camera, which is only so intelligent in picking out your skin tone vs other objects. In other words, the Wii video had something sending a signal instead of a camera calculating what "counts" and what doesn't in terms of altering the image in relation to how you are positioning/moving the system.

So, point is this: you'll probably get frustrated here and there. The game is only five bucks, so the low price of entry is sort of warranted. Besides, maybe I'll have much better luck in other rooms and under other lighting conditions. Which is to say, if I DO, I will update and say "ok I'm getting much better results now."

This also makes me think about how much of a pain in the ass it was to get an original GBA to be usable without needed a damn spotlight behind you.

On a related note, Bit.Trip Runner is fucking candy and I can't wait to get home to play it more.

[quote name='Strell']Ok so Looksley's is an extraordinarily brainshock experience.

It says to be in a well lit room, but I can't seem to get it to work correctly. I'm going to try it in other rooms later, but the problem is that it needs to center out your face from everything else. If you've ever used Photoshop, you might be familiar with trying to change skin tones in pictures. This requires you to tell PS to pick out only the tones you want to change. But the problem is that if ANYTHING else in the picture has the same tone, you'll end up changing it as well. For example, paint colors on the wall.

So, the problem with the game is that - because it relies entirely on the camera and no kind of accelerometer/gyroscope - it has to be smart enough to pick out your face from everything else. If you were in front of a solid blue background, you're probably good. But what might happen is that it'll confuse part of your face with other objects/areas due to tone. There is a calibration mechanism you have to go through before playing the game, but it's somewhat vague on how you should position your head/face. Further, while it DOES show the results of "this is what I think your face boundaries are," I couldn't ever get it to adequately tell my face apart from the wall. So, self esteem takes a hit! Hooray! It doesn't help that the calibration is sort of...guess and check. It says you need to only have your skin tones in the boundary box it shows, but I can't tell if this means the upper part of my head, or the lower part, or whatever. If it DID have accelerometers/gyroscopes of some kind, all of this might be alleviated, since there could be a hybrid system of head tracking coupled with physical movement, and the game could probably better triangulate the proper angles it needs to give you.

When I tried playing it, the concept sort of worked. But it was not nearly as smooth and fluid to really make the game easy to play, and didn't look NEAR as good as the videos on Youtube from a few weeks ago. Further, it requires you to move a cursor on the screen to pick out what you want to identify. So what happens is that - for right handed people - you're forced to hold only the touchscreen part of the DSi instead of at the hinge, which would give a more balanced grip. And when you need to move the cursor with your thumb, you'll invariably move the system, which changes the image. This can make selecting things difficult. It doesn't help that, again, I had issues with getting it to fully recognize what it is supposed to be tracking, which caused the screen to sometimes A) not move at all, B) move in the wrong direction, or C) be jerky all over.

So, given these issues, the game comes off far less interesting than it should. This makes me think head tracking isn't NEARLY as cool as people want to make it out to be. Some might recall the video of some guy with a Wii from a while back doing head tracking, but the advantage he had there was that his system relied on a Wiimote sending signals. In Looksley's case, you rely solely on the camera, which is only so intelligent in picking out your skin tone vs other objects. In other words, the Wii video had something sending a signal instead of a camera calculating what "counts" and what doesn't in terms of altering the image in relation to how you are positioning/moving the system.

So, point is this: you'll probably get frustrated here and there. The game is only five bucks, so the low price of entry is sort of warranted. Besides, maybe I'll have much better luck in other rooms and under other lighting conditions. Which is to say, if I DO, I will update and say "ok I'm getting much better results now."

This also makes me think about how much of a pain in the ass it was to get an original GBA to be usable without needed a damn spotlight behind you.

On a related note, Bit.Trip Runner is fucking candy and I can't wait to get home to play it more.[/QUOTE]

Disappointing :whistle2:/

Thanks for the impression though!

[quote name='Strell']When I tried playing it, the concept sort of worked. But it was not nearly as smooth and fluid to really make the game easy to play, and didn't look NEAR as good as the videos on Youtube from a few weeks ago. Further, it requires you to move a cursor on the screen to pick out what you want to identify. So what happens is that - for right handed people - you're forced to hold only the touchscreen part of the DSi instead of at the hinge, which would give a more balanced grip. And when you need to move the cursor with your thumb, you'll invariably move the system, which changes the image. This can make selecting things difficult. It doesn't help that, again, I had issues with getting it to fully recognize what it is supposed to be tracking, which caused the screen to sometimes A) not move at all, B) move in the wrong direction, or C) be jerky all over.[/QUOTE]

I'm having much the same issues. I was very excited about Looksley's, and I downloaded it as soon as I realized it had come out today. The concept is really interesting, but after some initial playtime, I must say that there's no way that the 3DS can rely on this sort of technology to simulate 3D. It just doesn't work well.

Trying to rotate the DS to find objects in the background is much, much more challenging than you would think. As Strell said, the tracking doesn't seem anywhere near as fluid as the YouTube videos we've all seen. Perhaps I have to play around with the calibration even more, but considering I've already adjusted it several times, I'm starting to believe the problem is more the game/software/hardware than my fault.

It is indeed 500 points, and for me, this is worth the price of admission just to check out this 3D concept. The game comes across as more like a tech demo with a game overlaid. Fascinating and quirky, but certainly shallow. I don't regret the purchase, but it's a hard title to recommend except for DSi diehard fans like myself.

[quote name='utopianmachine']
It is indeed 500 points, and for me, this is worth the price of admission just to check out this 3D concept. The game comes across as more like a tech demo with a game overlaid. Fascinating and quirky, but certainly shallow. I don't regret the purchase, but it's a hard title to recommend except for DSi diehard fans like myself.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like half of the DS launch titles.... I kid!... Not really...

[quote name='Strell']Ok so Looksley's is an extraordinarily brainshock experience.

[/QUOTE]
Damn. Someone was showing me the Japanese version, and he got it working with a minimum of effort, sitting on a bus. So I was hoping this would be easier than my Warioware Snapped debacle. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to hope for the best.

Just bought my first two DSiWare titles: Metal Torrent and Earthworm Jim. Metal Torrent was a instant buy because it is hard to find shmups on most platforms (I tracked down Nanostray when I had a DSL back in the day.). Earthworm Jim is a classic platformer what else needs to be said.

This week's big release is X-Scape, a sequel to the Japan-only Game Boy title X, developed by Q-Games. It's sort of like a Battlezone-meets-Starfox thing, the trailer from that media summit a few months ago is below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lfPZ75XcpQ
Nintendo DSiWare

X-Scape
Publisher: Nintendo
ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) - Mild Fantasy Violence
Price: 800 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: Your journey through the universe of X-Scape begins as you wake from 10 years of cryosleep, only to find yourself unexpectedly thrown into a fearsome battle against an evil empire bent on your destruction. You'll travel to numerous planets in the Kiisa system and engage in a wide variety of challenges (including optional side quests) in your fight for survival. At your command is VIXIV, an advanced battle tank able to deftly maneuver on land or in the air while loaded with an array of formidable weapons. To help with advice or upgrades to VIXIV's abilities, you've also got your highly capable support bot, VIX-529. Use the touch screen to pilot VIXIV in one of two modes: tunnel mode and free-movement mode. In tunnel mode, you'll navigate through narrow, dangerous tunnels that connect planets. Successful completion of tunnel mode opens free-movement mode, which allows you to freely roam the surfaces of planets and take up missions. Presented in 3-D with a stylishly retro graphic presentation, X-Scape combines continuous action with an epic story to create an experience that's sure to keep players on the edge of their seats.

Hero of Sparta
Publisher: Gameloft
ESRB Rating: T (Teen) - Blood, Violence
Description: You wake up alone on an unknown beach to find your boat and entire fleet missing. It's the beginning of an epic odyssey to find out just what game the gods are playing with you, King Argos. Your fate now lies in their hands. Battle like the fierce Spartan warrior you are to avoid a tragic death as you journey through mythical lands and even probe the depths of the Underworld. You will fight the most phenomenal monsters from mythology, defy Minotaurs and the Cyclops, and challenge the gods themselves. Unleash your hero's special powers by performing combos to defeat legions of enemies in thrilling fights. You'll have fabulous equipment and four mythic weapons to upgrade: draw your mythic swords, axe and shield. Fight, explore and solve puzzles - this is more than a basic hack-and-slash. Use the exclusive camera feature to collect epic pictures and become a real hero yourself.

A Topsy Turvy Life: The Turvys Strike Back™
Publisher: TECMO KOEI GAMES
Players: 1-2
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Mild Fantasy Violence
Description: Turn your Nintendo DSi™ system upside-down and play as the Imperial Armada out to destroy the Earth Defense Force in this topsy-turvy take on arcade shooters. You control the unsung forces of arcade shooters past with three kinds of ships, including giant bosses. Draw a line to send the fighters down. Touch the guards to make them shoot. Make your boss ship fire multiple weapons, including an enormous blast that destroys everything in its way. Two players can even battle each other on one Nintendo DSi system. Will the Earth Defense Force win again? Or will the Imperial Armada find victory at last?

Telegraph Sudoku & Kakuro
Publisher: Sanuk Games
Description: Play number puzzles from the Telegraph like you've never played them before. Discover a whopping 500 puzzles of multiple types. You're in for many hours of game play. The game includes Sudoku (classic 9x9 sudoku grids with four levels of difficulty), Mini-Sudoku (easier 6x6 grids), Sudoku-X (9x9 grids in which the diagonals must also be filled with all numerals from 1 to 9), Jigsaw Sudoku (9x9 grids with uncommon box shapes) and Kakuro. With its handy interface and intuitive controls, Kakuro transfigures the classic pen-and-paper experience. Notable features include registration of best times in the Hall of Fame, interactive hints to prevent you from getting stuck and an Autosave option to stop and resume a puzzle at any time.

X-Scape is good, but the controls take a while to get used to. Honestly it's a game that would fair better with dual analogs. The presentation is awesome, as are the retro Tron-like graphics.

X-Scape looks pretty good, but I'm no shooter fan.

I should probably go back and play Looksley's again. And suffer another headache from twitchy 3D backgrounds...

[quote name='utopianmachine']I should probably go back and play Looksley's again. And suffer another headache from twitchy 3D backgrounds...[/QUOTE]

I find it hard to get the game to go all the way to the left.

Going left to right works perfect, but right to left, always have to fight it and I never seem to win :roll:

Other than than, it is great.

[quote name='Strell']Bumping because tonight/tomorrow is last day to get Photo Dojo free.[/QUOTE]

and a thank you... gave me the push to pull out the DSi and get it hooked into the new network...

Nintendo DSiWare

A Kappa's Trail
Publisher: Nintendo
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Comic Mischief
Description: Step into the world of a kappa, a mythical river spirit famous in Japanese folklore, as he tries to make his way to the human world. In addition to the challenging main game, you'll find three different minigames to further improve your kappa-related skills. You'll start your journey in Kappa Cove, a good place to go exploring, practice getting around and munch on a few fish. The intuitive controls are all handled with the stylus (draw a trail and the kappa will follow it), but the helpful Chumfish is more than willing to teach you the basics. Once you begin your path down the Kappa Trail, you'll encounter coins to collect, boulders to shatter and various mini-kappas that can help you in specific ways. Just be sure to avoid the Devil Hand. If you need a break, you can collect paintings or cassettes from the Chumfish Shack, count plates at a sushi restaurant or test your mettle in the treacherous Trial of Tiles. With its cute graphics and charming story, your time with the kappa will certainly be memorable. Who knows what you'll find as you make your way through A Kappa's Trail?

Telegraph Crosswords
Publisher: Sanuk Games
ESRB Rating: T (Teen) – Drug Reference, Mild Language, Mild Suggestive Themes
Description: Play crossword puzzles from the Telegraph like you've never played them before. Discover 500 puzzles of multiple types. You're in for many hours of game play. With its handy interface and intuitive controls, this game transfigures the classic pen-and-paper experience. Notable features include:
• A huge selection of quick puzzles, cryptic puzzles and general-knowledge puzzles.
• Registration of best times in the Hall of Fame.
• Interactive hints to prevent you from getting stuck.
• Auto-save function so you can stop and resume a puzzle at any time.

Flips: Silent But Deadly
Publisher: Electronic Arts
Description: When Mr. Watts, the science teacher, turns up for class and tries to open his briefcase with his teeth, James, Alexander and Lenny realize he's not quite himself. The friends investigate and uncover a plot so dangerous that the life of every pupil and teacher is at risk. How will they foil the plot and restore Mr. Watts to normal? The new Flips range brings modern classics to the Nintendo DSiWare service. Readers can collect, solve, interact and learn as they progress through various stories and challenges.

Music on: Electronic Keyboard
Publisher: Abylight
Description: Get creative and spend relaxing moments transforming your Nintendo DSi system into a complete electronic keyboard with a great variety of instruments and rhythms. This is the perfect way to have fun and impress your friends with your musical creations. Whether you're already an expert or just taking your first steps, Electronic Keyboard will help you capture your inspiration wherever you are. Features include:
• Automatic accompaniment function with chord recognition
• Up to eight user-definable chords
• Five different styles, each with four variations
• Independent drum, bass and chorus parts
• Six-octave keyboard (two visible)
• Pitch-bend function
• 16 instruments
• Integrated sequencer
• Metronome
• Recording and replay option

16 Shot! SHOOTING WATCH
Publisher: Hudson Entertainment
Description: Back in the 8-bit glory days, Hudson's own "Master Higgins" (a.k.a. Takahashi Meijin) made a splash in the gaming world with his astonishing trigger-finger speed of 16 shots per second. Can you break the Master's record? A graph analysis feature breaks down your stats and indicates your weak spots. Use it effectively to improve your trigger-finger performance. If you get a high score, you can leave a customized signature using the touch screen. Get your family and friends to compete for some serious rapid-fire fun.

Well, too late for me, but apparently Shantae is going through the final testing now before being submitted to Nintendo to get slapped onto the DSi shop. The article anticipates it being only a few weeks until it is released.

Now that the 3DS is announced (and we still have no way to transfer DSiware licenses), I'm not gonna be buying DSiware for a good while. :(

[quote name='eastx']Now that the 3DS is announced (and we still have no way to transfer DSiware licenses), I'm not gonna be buying DSiware for a good while. :([/QUOTE]

Ditto for me, though I do have some points still on my account, so I might as well spend those. But really, they need to announce a transfer feature or I won't be buying any more DSiWare after those points are used up. It will also make me hesitant a little to buy WiiWare, except that I've got even more points there, and a Wii sequel is further off in the future, plus even when there is a next console, I can see keeping the Wii too, even if just for the WiiWare, whereas a portable, I might keep the original, but I only carry one of them with me.

I figure I'm going to keep all my DSiWare on my DSi so I'll keep shppping.

I don't know if 3DS would actually get access to the same store... hmm..
Eh, I don't like to split the games like that.

The likelihood of the 3DS not having access to existing DSiWare titles through its store is next to zero. That'd be shooting themselves in the foot. Hopefully the store's interface will suck less though!

[quote name='eastx']The likelihood of the 3DS not having access to existing DSiWare titles through its store is next to zero. That'd be shooting themselves in the foot. Hopefully the store's interface will suck less though![/QUOTE]

Yeah, there is really no reason to not have access to it. I am a bit surprised that they did not announce any type of license transfer, but I hope that was due to them still working out the details. I've got to admit I will be pretty shocked if there is no license transfer or if it is a terrible process. Might make me not bother with it if I am not able to move my DSiware purchases over, since I no longer have the DSi, heh.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Yeah, there is really no reason to not have access to it. I am a bit surprised that they did not announce any type of license transfer, but I hope that was due to them still working out the details. I've got to admit I will be pretty shocked if there is no license transfer or if it is a terrible process. Might make me not bother with it if I am not able to move my DSiware purchases over, since I no longer have the DSi, heh.[/QUOTE]

Well that is going to be an issue, you dont HAVE to link your DSiware account to your club nintendo account. Until a potential system is up and running there is a large gap in both the process and the data...

[quote name='foltzie']Well that is going to be an issue, you dont HAVE to link your DSiware account to your club nintendo account. Until a potential system is up and running there is a large gap in both the process and the data...[/QUOTE]

Hmm good point, I had not thought of that. I certainly did link my DSiware account to my club nintendo account, but it would definitely be fair to say that many did not. Not sure what they could do for those that did not link it to their club nintendo account, but hopefully that won't detract them from at least helping out those that did link.

Nintendo DSiWare

Maestro! Green Groove
Publisher: Neko Entertainment
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Animated Blood, Comic Mischief
Description: Hello. Do you like music? Do you like platforms? Do you like pink bird-like things? Do you like the jungle? You'll love Maestro! Green Groove edition! So jump in and enjoy this wonderful feeling of being a virtuoso using your heart, stylus and voice. Everything you do is music – EVERYTHING! Hit the spiders to play some drums, shoot the fruit to bring out the melody, pinch the strings to play the tune and so on. Challenge the mischievous Staccato the Spider in a melodious battle in which the most talented one will win. For those of you who have no fear, once you have finished the adventure, you can activate the SING/WHISTLE mode to bug everyone around you with your precious talents. And for the talented ones, there is an improvisation mode in which you'll play the levels with the instruments and at the speed of your choice. Enjoy, Maestros from all around the world!

Date or Ditch
Publisher: Gameloft
ESRB Rating: T (Teen) – Mild Suggestive Themes
Description: Think you're a real Casanova? Let's see how you act in real-life situations when you face a whole gamut of dates, from romantic to wild. Date or Ditch is an absorbing dating adventure for both guys and girls, testing you through an evolving scenario. Discover unique game play mixing social simulation, hilarious face-to-face conversations and fun quizzes. Randomly meet someone at a party, go to the movies together, invite your date to dinner and more. And a surprise visit from your ex may spice up your love story a bit. Enter even deeper into the game thanks to the exclusive camera feature: Add your photo within the game and change your face according to your feelings. In real life, make sure you are compatible with your date by taking the Love Test: Based on your names and appearance, are you made for each other? Love has always been a game. We just made it more fun.

Animal Color Cross
Publisher: Little Worlds Studio
Description: Get hooked on colorful puzzles. The goal of the game is to reconstruct a mysterious animal image that lies beneath the grid. You just need to fill in each square of the grid with one of the appropriate colors available. To solve the puzzle, you can simply deduce the right color by using the numbers written around the grid. Don't worry, a short tutorial shows you the basic rules within a minute. Puzzle-solving champs, sudoku fans or even kids can enjoy the game. You can play 72 individual grids in up to 50 hours of game play. Players can select among eight levels presented as geographical zones including Europe, Oceania, North Pole, Pacific, North America and South America to discover local fauna. Enter a new world filled with fancy colored pixel art.

Ancient Tribe
Publisher: CIRCLE Entertainment
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Cartoon Violence
Description: In the ancient world of Savage, you play the god of an ancient tribe in this real-time strategy game. Expand your village by guiding its inhabitants on the hunting grounds to find food and resources. Use them to upgrade your village and increase its population. When the primitive tribe develops to a certain level, they will build a temple to pay tribute to your mightiness. You can recruit new troops and research new classes of tribal people by upgrading the existing tribe's equipment and technology. Besides improving your tribe you can improve your godly powers by sacrificing some of your tribesmen and resources. On the hunting ground your tribe will explore forests, deserts, volcanoes and frozen lands. They will meet various kinds of beasts such as boars, elephants and even dinosaurs. You can help trap and tame them so your tribe can ride on them as part of your army and hunting troop.

Brain Drain
Publisher: Enjoy Gaming
Description: Brain Drain is a funny and challenging puzzle game. You have to place the elements of a scrambled puzzle according to a given model. Select four elements at a time with the stylus and spin them to move the elements to the right positions. Some puzzles may feature malicious game effects that will slow you down during your puzzle solving. There are three game modes to choose from:
• Challenge: 200 fixed puzzles with preset best times to solve and beat.
• Race: A stream of puzzles and best time tables to beat in four difficulty levels.
• Random: Relaxed, random puzzling that continues endlessly.

Battle of Giants: Mutant Insects – Revenge
Publisher: Ubisoft
Players: 1-4
ESRB Rating: E 10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) – Animated Blood, Mild Fantasy Violence
Description: After the defeat of the Mutant King, the Mutant Queen rose up from the core of the Earth and forced the remaining giant insects into submission. Now it is your job to locate and free the Scorpion Champion, the only giant insect with the ability to defeat the Mutant Queen. Complete 10 new missions, defeat your enemies and liberate the Scorpion Champion! Customize your giant insect with tribal stripes, equip it with special powers and enhance your abilities. Challenge your friends to duels of supremacy on the Nintendo DS system. Are you strong enough to win this Battle of Giants?

7/6:
nintendo dsiware
quickpick farmer
publisher: Dancing dots
players: 1
esrb rating: E (everyone) - comic mischief
price: 200 nintendo dsi points
description: It's time to shear your sheep, but a wolf named george is prowling around your farm, and he's hungry. Hurry up and put the wool in the barns for safekeeping. Use the stylus to round up identical sheep, shear them, collect the balls of wool and catapult them into the barns. If george is getting too close to your flock, fire a ball right at his muzzle to chase him away and gain some time. Experience 30 crazy levels, a nonstop mode, striped sheep, spotted sheep and a goofy wolf. Test your powers of observation, your reflexes and your tactics in the wacky world of quickpick farmer.

Soul of darkness
publisher: Gameloft
esrb rating: T (teen) - animated blood, fantasy violence
price: 500 nintendo dsi points
description: Enter a fascinating gothic world as the mysterious and powerful kale. Try to save your beloved's life and soul by freeing her from an evil vampire's clutches. Explore dark woods, caves, huge castles and impressive cathedrals under the full moon's light. Master and upgrade your sword and spear, and learn how to control your powers. Use the fire and the ice or transform into your enemies to overcome the numerous obstacles in your way. Face and defeat foes such as werewolves, succubae, gargoyles and zombies. Exclusive camera features let you use your environment to gain power-ups and upgrades. Good or evil - be the sole master of your destiny!

Steamworld tower defense
publisher: Image & form
esrb rating: E10+ (everyone 10 and older) - mild cartoon violence
description: Welcome to cowbot county, home of the robotic master race of steamworld! As the sheriff, you must stop the human invaders in their mad hunt for gold. Build attack robots next to the roads they roam, then watch the invaders go down. Use your robots' special skills to your advantage in this original tower defense variation where strategy and execution are equally important. There's an easy mode for rookies, but everyone will find a unique challenge in the great western reaches.

101 shark pets
publisher: Teyon
esrb rating: E (everyone)
description: Choose from more than 101 baby sharks or simply adopt them all. Discover their personalities as you feed, clean and care for your new pets. Bring out each pet's talents by training sharks in a variety of fun and wacky activities. Enter your shark into pet shows and earn money to buy exciting upgrades, including toys, food, clothes and accessories. The more tricks you teach and the more games you play, the more fun you'll have!

Hello flowerz
publisher: Enjoy gaming
description: Welcome to hello flowerz, the gardening game where you have fun with flowers. Sow your favorite flowers and look after them every day, helping them grow into healthy, beautiful flowers. Use your flowers to create wonderful bouquets and enter them in regular competitions. Landscape your own gardens, transplant flowers and arrange various items. Put on your gloves, grab your tools and start showing off your flowers!

Flips: The folk of the faraway tree
publisher: Electronic arts
description: Jo, bessie and fanny have a visit from their snooty friend connie. Connie won't believe in the faraway tree and the magical people who live there: Moon-face, silky the fairy and saucepan man. There's only one way to prove her wrong. Together the children climb the tree and visit some of the lands at the top of it, such as the land of secrets and the land of treats. And after a few adventures, connie learns to be a nicer person altogether!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello flowerz
publisher: Enjoy gaming
description: Welcome to hello flowerz, the gardening game where you have fun with flowers. Sow your favorite flowers and look after them every day, helping them grow into healthy, beautiful flowers. Use your flowers to create wonderful bouquets and enter them in regular competitions. Landscape your own gardens, transplant flowers and arrange various items. Put on your gloves, grab your tools and start showing off your flowers!

:wall:

Soul of Darkness looks pretty good. Very Castlevania. I'll wait for reviews.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ0Bx8w5PKQ&feature=player_embedded[/media]

Reviews for SoD are quite positive all around, but a great Gameloft game is like a second or third tier game from an established dev. SoD plays out like a more traditional Castlevania, where you finish levels and continue toward an ultimate boss. Reviews did point out that each level can be explored somewhat, and that you can upgrade your weapons and attacks over the course of the game. It encourages you to be aggressive by rewarding you with more experience (in the game, orbs/gems I think).

Seems like it would be a nice diversion if you absolutely needed it, and I give some blame to Konami for not embracing the opportunity to make another DS/DSiware Castlevania.

I.e., pick it up if you don't have much to do and really want to spend some points. Otherwise, you aren't missing out on much.

[quote name='Strell']Reviews for SoD are quite positive all around, but a great Gameloft game is like a second or third tier game from an established dev. SoD plays out like a more traditional Castlevania, where you finish levels and continue toward an ultimate boss. Reviews did point out that each level can be explored somewhat, and that you can upgrade your weapons and attacks over the course of the game. It encourages you to be aggressive by rewarding you with more experience (in the game, orbs/gems I think).

Seems like it would be a nice diversion if you absolutely needed it, and I give some blame to Konami for not embracing the opportunity to make another DS/DSiware Castlevania.

I.e., pick it up if you don't have much to do and really want to spend some points. Otherwise, you aren't missing out on much.[/QUOTE]

I have an enourmous backlog but LOVE anything Castlevania. For 500 points, it is not hurting the wallet- but is it worth playing more than something like Kingdom Hearts 365/2 Days or Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core? They are my next two handheld games lined up.

I know you are in love with Castlevania.... how does it hold up vs the GBA ones?

NintendoLife gave the game a 9/10

http://dsiware.nintendolife.com/reviews/2010/07/soul_of_darkness_dsiware

Nintendo DSiWare

Primrose
Publisher: Sabarasa
Description: Take your time, set your own pace, establish your own goals and adapt your play style however you like. Primrose rules are easy: There are no time limits, no levels, no arbitrary objectives and no constraints. Just place pairs of tiles on a game grid and attempt to corral groups of tiles with pieces of a different color. Surrounded tiles disappear and surrounding tiles change colors, allowing chain effects to trigger combos for massive points. You can play long matches and try to keep up with increasing levels of difficulty, or just go all out on a huge single-move combo for millions of points.

Pop Island – Paperfield
Publisher: odenis studio
Players: 1-8
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Comic Mischief
Description: Discover a fresh, fun universe with easy pick-up-and-play control themes. Join your team and race, surf or fly on three new islands. Get a maximum of flags to win in the "Race for flags" or "Capture the flag" modes. With the new "Magic Shooters" team, take control of eight land, sea and air vehicles (including tanks, hovercrafts and planes) or animals (surfing penguins, eagles and black cats). An impressive graphics engine runs fast and smooth at 60 frames per second. In Solo Mode, rack up points and unlock new playable vehicles and maps. Use DS Download Play to share Pop Island – Paperfield and compete joyfully with up to seven friends. If you own Pop Island on your Nintendo DSi system, you can get three new maps and four vehicles, including a helicopter and a submarine.

Music on: Retro Keyboard
Publisher: Abylight
Description: Turn your Nintendo DSi system into a full electronic keyboard with a carefully chosen selection of sounds and rhythms from the mythic computers and consoles of the 1980s. Whether you're already an expert or taking your first steps, Retro Keyboard will help you capture your inspiration wherever you are. Features include an '80s-inspired interface and a selection of keyboard, console and computer sounds from the '80s, plus rhythms inspired by the first generation video games. You can also enjoy an automatic accompaniment function with chord recognition, up to eight user-definable chords, a six-octave keyboard (two octaves visible), pitch bend function, 16 instruments, an integrated sequencer, metronome, recording and replay options.

24/7 Solitaire
Publisher: cosmigo
Description: 24/7 Solitaire features 24 variations of the most widely known and best-loved single-player card games including Klondike, Freecell, Spider, Pyramid, Yukon and seven versions of Peg-Solitaire. Most games have custom game play options so you can enjoy the game with your favorite rules. On-screen instructions can help you learn new Solitaire variations. Statistics are available for players who love to track their wins. Save your game status at any time. The game's style and interface have been designed for easy, intuitive operation with the stylus or the control pad. Sit back, relax and enjoy the endless challenge and fun of this Solitaire game collection.

4 TRAVELLERS™ – Play French
Publisher: AGENIUS Interactive
Players: 1-4
Description: Challenge your family and friends in a new digital board game while learning your first words in a new language together. Compete in a foreign hotel where the goal is to acquire objects, money and friends. Strategy and fast learning are essential. The game is suitable for players young and old, and no previous knowledge is necessary. The more you play, the more your French vocabulary increases. The game is perfect to bring on your trip, including more than 240 carefully selected words.

Is Shantae supposed to be out this month?

My DSi is currently out of points, and I'm rather waiting for the launch date of the 3DS to be revealed before I decide anything more about points. What with the fact that I doubt any content will be able to be transfered from the DSi to 3DS, I'd rather wait to download the games I want on the 3DS.

[quote name='utopianmachine']My DSi is currently out of points, and I'm rather waiting for the launch date of the 3DS to be revealed before I decide anything more about points. What with the fact that I doubt any content will be able to be transfered from the DSi to 3DS, I'd rather wait to download the games I want on the 3DS.[/QUOTE]

DSi games may be exclusive to the DSi though. You can't count on being able to download them on a future console.

That's what I was thinking too.
Possible for a whole new store on the 3DS for new games.

However, I also feel that they will have them as an option, and just put a notice on them that they are not 3D compatible or whatever.

I don't know, I'll just keep the DSiWare on my DSi up until maybe a month before the actual launch, or until we get more details.

There's no way they wouldn't offer DSiWare games on the 3DS too. That would screw over all the DSiWare developers and prevent some potential revenue, regardless of the store being redesigned.

It seems ridiculous to not offer DSi as well since they're trying to put out that it's got the same screen and feature set of the DSi with the addition of all the power added. This is from what I've heard.
I fear it's going to cost $250 with the 3D movie selling point. I mean when one considers what it costs to have 3D on your TV Nintendo might think they could bank some extra money because of this. I'm hoping this doesn't happen and it ends up being $200.
Out of curiousity does Gameloft have this game on the Japanese DSi store and has anyone heard of some prominent Doujin devs. putting stuff out on it?

bread's done
Back