3DS MSRP Drop to $169.99 On 08/12/11, already at Target, WM, Amazon

Celsius

CAGiversary!
Pre-order at the lower price at Amazon
iconwalmart_r3.gif
Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

Quick Details:

Connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11 to qualify for the below free games:

NES Virtual Console games:
Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong JR.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climbers
The Legend of Zelda
+ 5 more

Gameboy Advance Virtual Console games (exclusive to this program)
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart Advance
Metroid Fusion
Wario ware
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
+ 3 more

US Press Release
REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo of America today announced plans to drop the suggested retail price of its portable Nintendo 3DS™system to $169.99 in the United States, as new games based on some of the world’s most beloved video game franchises head to the system. The new price, down from the suggested launch price of $249.99 and effective Aug. 12, makes an outstanding value even better and sets up a strong holiday season for the system.

“For anyone who was on the fence about buying a Nintendo 3DS, this is a huge motivation to buy now,” said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. “We are giving shoppers every incentive to pick up a Nintendo 3DS, from an amazing new price to a rapid-fire succession of great games.”

Nintendo 3DS has the strongest software lineup of any video game system this holiday season and the new price now opens up the glasses-free 3D experience to many more consumers. Building on the popularity of The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ 3D, which launched June 19, the upcoming game calendar is a Who’s Who of iconic video game franchises. Star Fox 64™ 3D arrives on Sept. 9, followed by Super Mario™ 3D Land in November, Mario Kart™ 7 in December and Kid Icarus™: Uprising during the holiday season. In addition to great games, Nintendo 3DS has a host of attractive features* that make it the must-have video game system this season:

The new Nintendo Video™ service automatically delivers short 3D videos from the worlds of music, comedy, animation and Hollywood.A free application allows Netflix members with unlimited streaming plans to instantly watch TV episodes and movies streaming from Netflix.

The Nintendo eShop is a digital store for Nintendo 3DS owners that provides access to a wide variety of downloadable content, such as original 3D software, classic games that have been re-mastered in 3D called 3D Classics, Game Boy™ and Game Boy Color “Virtual Console” games in their original 2D glory, and more than 350 Nintendo DSiWare™ games. Visitors can also view video game trailers, screen shots and product information for games, including those available at retail locations.

Since Nintendo 3DS launched in the United States on March 27, more than 830,000 people in the U.S. alone have purchased one to enjoy 3D visuals without the need for special glasses. These Nintendo 3DS owners represent some of Nintendo’s most loyal customers, and Nintendo is rewarding them for getting in on the action early with 20 free downloadable games from the Nintendo eShop.

These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11. These users will automatically be registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program. The program contains two elements:

Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost. By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi’s Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

More details about this program will be announced in the future.

Japan details
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110728_3e.pdf

For Japan, if you buy before august 12, 2011 -- the day of the price drop you get 10 free VC NES games and 10 free VC GB advance games. the VC gba games will only be made available for early adopters -- and never for those who buy on the price drop date.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/index.html

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/detail.html

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gkrykewy']Haters gonna hate.

If 3DS fails at 169 despite both Mario and Mario Kart this fall, then Vita is going to crater at 249 with a slew of comsole ports.[/QUOTE]

Trolling or stupid? :whistle2:k

[quote name='iwannadie']You were talking about . Not sure how you can compare material, designs and screens with something you've never seen or held. You can compare specs on the screen that's all but they are designed to do things differently so it's no comparison.

Again, you can like or not like anything but to compare it to what you expect something to feel like that isn't out yet is funny.

The rumored microsoft handheld I am positive will feel better and have better materials than the vita. You see how funny that just sounded :drool: .[/QUOTE]

Show me a microsoft handheld pic. Can't? Then yeah, that statement just sounded stupid. I can LOOK at anything and get an idea of its construction and materials because of my brain. It allows me to do stuff like that. Pretty cool huh? Plus, i'm talking about the bigger, sleaker screen. The dual analog sticks. The overall quality of this system, looks like it will be better than what i experienced with the 3DS. That looks and felt like cheap crappy plastic. If the Vita is PSP level quality and construction, it will feel and look better to me than the 3DS. I expect it to be, so I expect to like it much more than I did the 3DS.
ps-vita.jpg

So Pretty. U mad?

Does this really have to turn into a 3DS vs. Vita debate?

How about we save ourselves the frustration and call them both disappointments?

The Vita's already had its specs scaled back (which is seemingly okay because it's had time to save face, the benefit of coming out later than the 3DS), and we know the 3DS wasn't all it could be (rushed out the door to come out long enough prior to the Vita, though double-dipping on these offers makes the purchase much more appetizing). As for the Vita, shelling out $50* (my mistake does somewhat detract from my rant here) more for a model with 3G? Bah, I say. And here I thought Microsoft was a pain for not releasing built-in WiFi (something the Wii actually had @ release, to my knowledge) until the Slim came out last year.

[quote name='BobbyTastic']Does this really have to turn into a 3DS vs. Vita debate?

How about we save ourselves the frustration and call them both disappointments?

The Vita's already had its specs scaled back (which is seemingly okay because it's had time to save face, the benefit of coming out later than the 3DS), and we know the 3DS wasn't all it could be (rushed out the door to come out long enough prior to the Vita, though double-dipping on these offers makes the purchase much more appetizing). As for the Vita, shelling out $100 more for a model with 3G? Bah, I say. And here I thought Microsoft was a pain for not releasing built-in WiFi until the Slim came out last year.[/QUOTE]

$50 not $100

[quote name='iwannadie']Not sure how you can compare material, designs and screens with something you've never seen or held. You can compare specs on the screen that's all but they are designed to do things differently so it's no comparison.[/QUOTE]

3DS Screen:
The widescreen 3D LCD is 3.53 inches corner to corner and runs in 800x240 resolution ("400 pixels are allocated for each eye to enable 3D viewing").
The resistive touch screen is 3.02 inches and 320x240 resolution.

Vita screen: 5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors, OLED
Multi touch screen (capacitive type)

So I've tried to compare the specs and I see you're right. It's no comparison.

[quote name='lllGurulll']$50 not $100[/QUOTE]

My bad, you're right. That's better, but it's obvious that's the model they intended to be the standard and are offering a cheaper model for those who don't want to shell as much out.

The pics of the Vita make it look really nice. Especially the screen. Specs and floor reports back that up. I can look at that information, and use it in trying to decide between the 3DS or the Vita. I haven't held a Vita yet, but I have seen enough of it that I am very confident that I would like it better than the 3DS. For now I am choosing 1 of the 2 sytems, and after holding and playing a 3DS I am certain I don't want it. Not for $170, plus $40 per game.

On another note. Does anyone actually like the 3D effect? Has anyone played through all of zelda with it turned on? that sounds painful. 15 minutes with it was more than enough for me. Ever

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Trolling or stupid? :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

None of the above. What he's saying is true.
I still fail to see why Sony even bothered releasing a new handheld personally. People didn't want the better graphics/console ports back with the PSP, dunno why things have changed now. (At least as far as sales are concerned).

Awww, my compromise post got the axe. Now I'm sad. I'm not sure how the PSP prices compared with DS prices last time, but that's kind of how I'm feeling.

Gah, I've gone back and forth a couple times already with the idea of buying a 3ds this week, activating it online, and getting the money back from Best Buy.

On the one hand, I really want to play Ocarina of Time 3d and there are potentially tons of Gameboy Virtual Console games that I'd love to have. I need a 3ds to get/play them and if I bought it now/soon, I could get a bunch of games plus a decent price.

On the other hand, I don't really want to spend too much money on videogames heading into the holidays and Nintendo will very likely release an improved 3ds at some point within the next, I dunno, 18 months.

Right now I'm in the "I'm not buying one even with the ability to get 20 games and a price correction on August 12th". But when I woke up this morning, I was sure that I was going to hit up Best Buy at some point today to buy one.

[quote name='Halo05']Gah, I've gone back and forth a couple times already with the idea of buying a 3ds this week, activating it online, and getting the money back from Best Buy.

On the one hand, I really want to play Ocarina of Time 3d and there are potentially tons of Gameboy Virtual Console games that I'd love to have. I need a 3ds to get/play them and if I bought it now/soon, I could get a bunch of games plus a decent price.

On the other hand, I don't really want to spend too much money on videogames heading into the holidays and Nintendo will very likely release an improved 3ds at some point within the next, I dunno, 18 months.

Right now I'm in the "I'm not buying one even with the ability to get 20 games and a price correction on August 12th". But when I woke up this morning, I was sure that I was going to hit up Best Buy at some point today to buy one.[/QUOTE]

Glad I'm not the only one angsting, and I don't even have money in the budget for it, but yeah. This. ^

[quote name='Rodster']Holy shit never thought of that, thanks ! :applause:

Who other than BB does price adjustments within 30 days? :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

You're welcome, but it actually has been mentioned several times throughout this thread, and for some reason I didn't even think about it myself until I read it here. Someone said that Target has a 14 day price match policy, and now you would be within it.

[quote name='imacgod']If you want to see some humorous and ridiculous message board posts, visit the GameFAQs 3DS forum. There's a few posters that are very adamant about people using the price match guarantee policy to get the games plus the discount and calling it "immoral". It's quite the clusterfuck.

*snip*

If you read through all of my banter, props to you. :D[/QUOTE]

Yup, those are the type of people I was referring to. I believe some people even posted similar in this thread. Either that or all my googling this has made me completely forget where I read what.

And I read it. My eyes hurt a little now, but I read it. :)

Try it before you buy it.

If you like it for $170, get it. If not, dont. But seriously, with a product like this, you really should try it first.

The 3D is not for everyone. I hated it actually. I like 3D movies every once in awhile. Avatar IMAX 3D was amazing. But I don't know if its the glasses free 3D, or the smaller screen. But it looked like garbage to me. Combine that with barely better than PSP graphics "poppin out at you", and materials that felt cheasy and cheap, and I made up my mind on no sale.

I was fine with 3 hours of IMAX 3D avatar, but got a headache after 15 minutes of 3DS. I have yet to see anyone actually say they like the 3D effect of the system. Has anyone gone through a full game with it on? Without feeling weird, and actually enjoyed it?

I'm buying a 3DS and not planning to use 3D at all... I'm sure a lot of folks are doing the same thing
You can still enjoy the games that are coming out without the effect, so I don't see why that should stop you from purchasing it.

[quote name='xGunCrazyx']I'm buying a 3DS and not planning to use 3D at all... I'm sure a lot of folks are doing the same thing
You can still enjoy the games that are coming out without the effect, so I don't see why that should stop you from purchasing it.[/QUOTE]

yeah thats what i figured because when i saw the 3d it kinda hurt my eyes. but i researched it and found out you have to hold it in a certain position, so i figured ill check it out when i get mine. plus i heard OoT has really good 3d so i figure ill check it out. but i imagine that most of my 3ds time will be without the 3d aspect.

I know it's a long shot but is anyone else here hoping and wishing that the 4 outta of 5 remaining unannounced GBA games as part of the 3DS Ambassadors 20 free games program are Sonic Advance 1-3 and Super Mario World aka Super Mario Advance 2?. man i would love to have those on the 3DS to play anywhere :drool:. :pray:.

[quote name='iforeverlovemyfamily']I know it's a long shot but is anyone else here hoping and wishing that the 4 outta of 5 remaining unannounced GBA games as part of the 3DS Ambassadors 20 free games program are Sonic Advance 1-3 and Super Mario World aka Super Mario Advance 2?. man i would love to have those on the 3DS to play anywhere :drool:. :pray:.[/QUOTE]

Sort of doubt any of the extra games will be non-Nintendo titles :)

[quote name='daminion']Sort of doubt any of the extra games will be non-Nintendo titles :)[/QUOTE]

Damn...

forgot about that part already :bomb:

I wish they could let this one slide and include those as non-nintendo published titles in this deal. i don't see why not since there are multiple games featuring Mario & Sonic together, Sega games released on nintendo gamecube and Wii VC/WiiWare, etc.

What else do you think we could possibly get if not those three Sonic Advance games?.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Actually a price drop of this scope, this soon into the life of a new console, is very unusual. Most people including industry analysts would not have predicted this. And Nintendo has traditionally been VERY slow to drop the prices of their hardware (software too for that matter, their greatest hits for Wii just finally game out a few moy a 3DS just for 20 old NES and GBA downloadable games.
I understand what you are saying and I totally agree that this is very unusual, but the fact of the matter is that this is happening and if it did'nt happen now it was probably going to happen when the Vita comes out.

[quote name='heybtbm']The price drop is tempting...but a 3 hour battery? I don't know.[/QUOTE]

I am not sure where this whole 3 hour battery crap is coming from. I fully charged my system yesterday after I bought it as youy are supposed to do for anything like a ds, cell phone, psp, etc. Once it was fully charged I did all my setup, played some games, updated the system, and watched Stan Helsing via netflix and it did NOT kill my batter, and that was easily 5 hours of usage.

I honestly think alot of this battery issue comes from people not understanding how these types of devices and their battery charging are supposed to be done. Furthermore, If you really are concerned about the battery not lasting long enough for you, at Best Buy I saw the Nyko battery add-on kit, which has both the battery and charging dock for 14.99. Kind of odd since just the battery was 19.99, but still, thats a very viable option for anyone concerned.

So far I am happy with my 3ds. For what is going to be an eventual 170.00 purchase this has been a worthwhile purchase.

It's 3 Hours if you use the 3D, the higher the more battery too. The sound volume portion doesn't really drain much more though.

[quote name='djricekcn']It's 3 Hours if you use the 3D, the higher the more battery too. The sound volume portion doesn't really drain much more though.[/QUOTE]

That's not true. The second part I mean. It doesn't matter if the 3D slider is at 10% or 100%, the battery drain is the same. If it's off it obviously makes a difference, but 3D on "a little" vs 3D on "a lot" makes no difference - the increased battery drain comes from the stronger backlighting needed and the extra GPU power to render every scene twice, it's not like you render the scene twiceer if you have the slider higher. Rendering twice is rendering twice, higher slider just means the rendered images are further apart.

Well, I tried my own test. I wasn't idle at one single portion so that may have done it but with Tales of the Abyss, 3D all the way up was about 3 hours for me while slightly up was about 4ish hours.

Like I said, I wasn't idle at one place so not sure if that's the case.

[quote name='Spyder187']I am not sure where this whole 3 hour battery crap is coming from. I fully charged my system yesterday after I bought it as youy are supposed to do for anything like a ds, cell phone, psp, etc. Once it was fully charged I did all my setup, played some games, updated the system, and watched Stan Helsing via netflix and it did NOT kill my batter, and that was easily 5 hours of usage.

I honestly think alot of this battery issue comes from people not understanding how these types of devices and their battery charging are supposed to be done. Furthermore, If you really are concerned about the battery not lasting long enough for you, at Best Buy I saw the Nyko battery add-on kit, which has both the battery and charging dock for 14.99. Kind of odd since just the battery was 19.99, but still, thats a very viable option for anyone concerned.

So far I am happy with my 3ds. For what is going to be an eventual 170.00 purchase this has been a worthwhile purchase.[/QUOTE]

The whole 3-hour battery life comes from...oh I don't know, the 3 hour battery life of the system? It has nothing to do with how people charge the batteries. If you use the system purely for gaming and use the 3D effect, you get about 3 hours of gametime. Taking my 3DS with me to E3 had the battery fully drained after about 5 hours of playing a regular DS game (on the second highest brightness). Yea, if you jump around a bunch of the other functions that are less demanding, the battery does last longer. But if you use gaming alone, at a high brightness level, expect 3-5 hours max of game time.

I bought a blue 3DS today at Best Buy, and I am enjoying it. I like the 3D effect, and it hasn't hurt my eyes any. The Best Buy salesperson confirmed to me that I will be able to do a price match and if for some reason I can't, I can just bring the system back as long as it is in good shape.

[quote name='iforeverlovemyfamily']I know it's a long shot but is anyone else here hoping and wishing that the 4 outta of 5 remaining unannounced GBA games as part of the 3DS Ambassadors 20 free games program are Sonic Advance 1-3 and Super Mario World aka Super Mario Advance 2?. man i would love to have those on the 3DS to play anywhere :drool:. :pray:.[/QUOTE]

I'd like that, but in reality it'd be kind of silly for them to release a GBA port of an SNES game when they should just release the SNES game.

[quote name='djricekcn']Well, I tried my own test. I wasn't idle at one single portion so that may have done it but with Tales of the Abyss, 3D all the way up was about 3 hours for me while slightly up was about 4ish hours.

Like I said, I wasn't idle at one place so not sure if that's the case.[/QUOTE]

Tales of the Abyss is a 3ds game now?

[quote name='kevlar51']I'd like that, but in reality it'd be kind of silly for them to release a GBA port of an SNES game when they should just release the SNES game.[/QUOTE]

The GBA version got new levels. Just wish they would use the SNES control setting

[quote name='Spyder187']Tales of the Abyss is a 3ds game now?[/QUOTE]

yup

So I told my wife all about this deal where people are buying the system at full-price now and getting a refund in 2 weeks and she wants us to buy a 3DS despite the fact that we have two DS Lites right now that get occasional playtime. My wife is just excited about having new technology.

I guess my hesitation is that Nintendo will either abandon the 3DS or release a much better version of it sometime next year. The battery life concerns me as does the current library of games. But I'm a sucker for new technology and the thought of getting 20 free games is pretty enticing. Right now I'm looking into selling my two DS Lites. I can trade in my Metallic Rose one for $50 on Amazon (which is probably the most I'd get for the system but I wouldn't be able to do the Best Buy price adjustment deal). The other one I would just sell on eBay.

So I'm looking at possibly upgrading from DS Lite to a 3DS and I'm wondering is it worth it. If the 3DS library doesn't pan out, I'll just be using it for its online capabilities (shop, Netflix, etc.) and playing regular DS games. Do people think it's a worthwhile gamble to upgrade?

Also, what are people's opinions about a possible 3DS Black Friday deal? I doubt that the price will drop any further, but I'm debating waiting until that time to purchase one hoping to score a free game or two with the system. Right now the only games that interest me are Zelda and LEGO Pirates.

[quote name='kevlar51']I'd like that, but in reality it'd be kind of silly for them to release a GBA port of an SNES game when they should just release the SNES game.[/QUOTE]

No port will ever beat the original SNES version but i'd definatly take the GBA version if it was the only way i could play this game on the go ;).

Anyone else notice Amazon has different ASIN numbers for the original 3ds and the lower price one? I wonder if that will prevent stores from having to do a price guarantee for returns. Maybe the UPC is different. I could see Nintendo sending fresh supplies to stores and getting the old UPC models back for repackaging.

[quote name='metallicoholic']So I told my wife all about this deal where people are buying the system at full-price now and getting a refund in 2 weeks and she wants us to buy a 3DS despite the fact that we have two DS Lites right now that get occasional playtime. My wife is just excited about having new technology.

I guess my hesitation is that Nintendo will either abandon the 3DS or release a much better version of it sometime next year. The battery life concerns me as does the current library of games. But I'm a sucker for new technology and the thought of getting 20 free games is pretty enticing. Right now I'm looking into selling my two DS Lites. I can trade in my Metallic Rose one for $50 on Amazon (which is probably the most I'd get for the system but I wouldn't be able to do the Best Buy price adjustment deal). The other one I would just sell on eBay.

So I'm looking at possibly upgrading from DS Lite to a 3DS and I'm wondering is it worth it. If the 3DS library doesn't pan out, I'll just be using it for its online capabilities (shop, Netflix, etc.) and playing regular DS games. Do people think it's a worthwhile gamble to upgrade?

Also, what are people's opinions about a possible 3DS Black Friday deal? I doubt that the price will drop any further, but I'm debating waiting until that time to purchase one hoping to score a free game or two with the system. Right now the only games that interest me are Zelda and LEGO Pirates.[/QUOTE]

Yes and definatly Yes @ $169.99 w/20 free games ;).

IMO i definatly see a Black Friday deal. no way there won't be one lol. i also heard news that the Flare Red 3DS has been confirmed for release sometime in november 2011 here in the US, along with the possibly of a Flare Red 3DS/Mario Kart 7 3D or Flare Red 3DS/Super Mario Land 3D bundle. so many sites are saying it's confirmed so i would'nt be surprised to actually see this happen.

If you don't care for the 20 free games offer i'd personally wait until Black Friday for the Flare Red model with (possibly) Mario Kart 7 3D or Super Mario Land 3D bundle. that red one looks amazing :D.

[quote name='sixspeednissan']Anyone else notice Amazon has different ASIN numbers for the original 3ds and the lower price one? I wonder if that will prevent stores from having to do a price guarantee for returns. Maybe the UPC is different. I could see Nintendo sending fresh supplies to stores and getting the old UPC models back for repackaging.[/QUOTE]

Doubt it will make a difference at this point since many people here that just went out and bought their 3DS's this week said that the sales associates at their Best Buy stores told them they'd have absolutly no problems getting the price adjustments come august 12th. things could change between now and then but i doubt anything will happen and they'll more than likely get their price matches as planned.

[quote name='sixspeednissan']Anyone else notice Amazon has different ASIN numbers for the original 3ds and the lower price one? I wonder if that will prevent stores from having to do a price guarantee for returns. Maybe the UPC is different. I could see Nintendo sending fresh supplies to stores and getting the old UPC models back for repackaging.[/QUOTE]

I've read that even the existing models which are still likely to be in stores on the 12th will also get dropped in price - if there is in fact a new SKU. I started thinking the other day about Nintendo maybe doing something like taking out the SD card or something along with dropping the price. Unless there needs to be one included for it to work as it does today...

[quote name='Kadin']I've read that even the existing models which are still likely to be in stores on the 12th will also get dropped in price - if there is in fact a new SKU. I started thinking the other day about Nintendo maybe doing something like taking out the SD card or something along with dropping the price. Unless there needs to be one included for it to work as it does today...[/QUOTE]

Not going to happen until the next model as far as any changes go. the SD card is necessary so that will never be taken out of 3DS's, this model or future ones. this is simply a price drop. everything will be there. no worries ;).

It depends on what the extra exclusives are for Japan and here whether I will buy the 3DS before the price drop. So far I'm NOT impressed on what the exclusives that have been leaked are.
edit: If any of the "Mother"'s end up on the exclusive list for Japan I will very likely snag the Japanese 3DS. Being that most of the exclusive games are GBA I'm not impressed.

[quote name='heybtbm']The price drop is tempting...but a 3 hour battery? I don't know.[/QUOTE]

3 hour battery is hyperbole. Mine lasts 2-3 days in standby mode with the wi-fi on at home, and probably 6-7 hours of actual playtime without wi-fi use.

if you're playing online consistently with the brightness on and 3d you'll probably get closer to that 3.5-4 hours, but that's a pretty rare occurrance.

I've watched probably 4 episodes of an hour long show on netflix on mine before it starts to blink red.

I'd also like to know where people are seeing other devices that are equal to the 3DS in hardware in power and size that last longer than it does while running games or streaming video from wi-fi. There aren't any. Battery life is bad for everything small and compact and powerful and connected.

[quote name='jer7583']3 hour battery is hyperbole. Mine lasts 2-3 days in standby mode with the wi-fi on at home, and probably 6-7 hours of actual playtime without wi-fi use.

if you're playing online consistently with the brightness on and 3d you'll probably get closer to that 3.5-4 hours, but that's a pretty rare occurrance.

I've watched probably 4 episodes of an hour long show on netflix on mine before it starts to blink red.

I'd also like to know where people are seeing other devices that are equal to the 3DS in hardware in power and size that last longer than it does while running games or streaming video from wi-fi. There aren't any. Battery life is bad for everything small and compact and powerful and connected.[/QUOTE]

Well, most people are annoyed about the 3 hours thing because of what Iwata said about 2 years ago.

岩田社長神発言1
「ゲームにおいては,やはり10時間~20時間はバッテリーが持たないとゲーム機としては全く意味がないと思う」

Use a translator

3DS selling point "was" the 3D, you also have to keep that in mind.

also, it's very bluntly displayed on Nintendo's own website

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/hardware/spec/index.html

ニンテンドー3DSソフトをプレイする場合・・・・・約3時間~5時間
ニンテンドーDSソフトをプレイする場合・・・・・・約5時間~8時間
※画面の明るさによってバッテリー持続時間が変わります。
※バッテリー持続時間は目安です。使用状況によって短くなることがあります

Which also means it's less than DS, despite the discliamers, the max hours displayed is assuming you have minimal settings

Those of you hoping to have a price adjustment when the price drop happens, good luck. It will vary from store to store as some may honor it but most won't. Since it is an $80 difference which will be a hefty lose on the stores honoring it. Coming from Nintendo World yesterday here in NYC, I was alerted that Nintendo will not be honoring a price adjustment for those that purchase a 3DS prior to August 12th. So the stores will take the hit.

-DarkLegacy

Nintendo World's store policy doesn't equal to other stores though. and they can't put a disclaimer after you bought it. the 30 days should apply within legality reasons, I would assume.

It's always possible though. Especially if people start abusing this deal in masses, i doubt a store would want to lose 80$ when they could just sell it for the new low price in less than 2 weeks.

An ASIN number is not the same as a UPC number.

Besides, ALL 3DS units are supposed to be $169.

[quote name='dgwillia006']It's always possible though. Especially if people start abusing this deal in masses, i doubt a store would want to lose 80$ when they could just sell it for the new low price in less than 2 weeks.[/QUOTE]
They won't know if it was abused in mass until the price drop. The stores, with PM opportunites, can only prevent this by pulling stock; which they won't do for fear of loss of customer to a competitor. This is the only way to prevent/limit the $80 return.

[quote name='DarkLegacy']It will vary from store to store as some may honor it but most won't. Since it is an $80 difference which will be a hefty lose on the stores honoring it[/quote]
$80 isn't as big as you might think when you compare to a loss of an established customer who typically spends way over $80/year instore. If stores didn't want to lose money, they wouldn't have a PM policy that can done within a time period to begin with.

[quote name='lordopus99']
$80 isn't as big as you might think when you compare to a loss of an established customer who typically spends way over $80/year instore. If stores didn't want to lose money, they wouldn't have a PM policy that can done within a time period to begin with.[/QUOTE]

So a store with a price match policy within a time period wants to lose money? That makes sense.

[quote name='confoosious']So a store with a price match policy within a time period wants to lose money? That makes sense.[/QUOTE]

I take your point but I think most stores won't care that much. Unless they go out of their way to tell staff not to do it on 3ds's, it will just be a matter of handing the receipt to Custom Service and they'll probably barely look at it.

As I've said I've seen this on all CAG before, a load of people claiming that price adjustments won't happen, then they all do.

The shitstorm that would explode upon Best Buy, Wal-mart, etc. not honoring their existing price adjustment policy would in no way be worth the $80 per person that they're giving back.

This shit was all over Gamefaqs, I'm pretty surprised to see it here.

bread's done
Back