3DS MSRP Drop to $169.99 On 08/12/11, already at Target, WM, Amazon

Celsius

CAGiversary!
Pre-order at the lower price at Amazon
iconwalmart_r3.gif
Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

Quick Details:

Connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11 to qualify for the below free games:

NES Virtual Console games:
Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong JR.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climbers
The Legend of Zelda
+ 5 more

Gameboy Advance Virtual Console games (exclusive to this program)
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart Advance
Metroid Fusion
Wario ware
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
+ 3 more

US Press Release
REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo of America today announced plans to drop the suggested retail price of its portable Nintendo 3DS™system to $169.99 in the United States, as new games based on some of the world’s most beloved video game franchises head to the system. The new price, down from the suggested launch price of $249.99 and effective Aug. 12, makes an outstanding value even better and sets up a strong holiday season for the system.

“For anyone who was on the fence about buying a Nintendo 3DS, this is a huge motivation to buy now,” said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. “We are giving shoppers every incentive to pick up a Nintendo 3DS, from an amazing new price to a rapid-fire succession of great games.”

Nintendo 3DS has the strongest software lineup of any video game system this holiday season and the new price now opens up the glasses-free 3D experience to many more consumers. Building on the popularity of The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ 3D, which launched June 19, the upcoming game calendar is a Who’s Who of iconic video game franchises. Star Fox 64™ 3D arrives on Sept. 9, followed by Super Mario™ 3D Land in November, Mario Kart™ 7 in December and Kid Icarus™: Uprising during the holiday season. In addition to great games, Nintendo 3DS has a host of attractive features* that make it the must-have video game system this season:

The new Nintendo Video™ service automatically delivers short 3D videos from the worlds of music, comedy, animation and Hollywood.A free application allows Netflix members with unlimited streaming plans to instantly watch TV episodes and movies streaming from Netflix.

The Nintendo eShop is a digital store for Nintendo 3DS owners that provides access to a wide variety of downloadable content, such as original 3D software, classic games that have been re-mastered in 3D called 3D Classics, Game Boy™ and Game Boy Color “Virtual Console” games in their original 2D glory, and more than 350 Nintendo DSiWare™ games. Visitors can also view video game trailers, screen shots and product information for games, including those available at retail locations.

Since Nintendo 3DS launched in the United States on March 27, more than 830,000 people in the U.S. alone have purchased one to enjoy 3D visuals without the need for special glasses. These Nintendo 3DS owners represent some of Nintendo’s most loyal customers, and Nintendo is rewarding them for getting in on the action early with 20 free downloadable games from the Nintendo eShop.

These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11. These users will automatically be registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program. The program contains two elements:

Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost. By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi’s Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

More details about this program will be announced in the future.

Japan details
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110728_3e.pdf

For Japan, if you buy before august 12, 2011 -- the day of the price drop you get 10 free VC NES games and 10 free VC GB advance games. the VC gba games will only be made available for early adopters -- and never for those who buy on the price drop date.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/index.html

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/detail.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Being a CAG, I'm not too happy that the price dropped so soon, so much, and so suddenly. I only have a couple 3DS games as it is, and I definitely could have waited. However, it makes me really happy to know that Nintendo's giving back to those who bought it early in the form of Virtual Console games. It looks like there are quite a few games in that list I haven't played yet, and I wouldn't mind playing most of the others through again. Props to Nintendo. I'm sure more people will buy the 3DS after the price drop and it'll get more popular.

Now if only that meant something for MML3.

Question: I'm assuming Nintendo still uses the backward method of it being by device, and not account? So, e.g. if I buy a 3DS now for the 20 games, when the inevitable redesign (if it even survives that long) is released, I won't be able to play those games (or ANYTHING I downloaded) on the redesign?

For that reason, the 3DS isn't even on my radar. :(

[quote name='blueweltall']I'm going to wait for a redesign 3DS.[/QUOTE]

As a launch day buyer, this was what I feared most. I knew the price would go down and/or there would be some great Black Friday bundles on the 3DS, so I'm not too annoyed at the price drop and the free games do help "make up" for the extra I paid at launch. I knew buying at launch wasn't a "deal".

But if they came out so soon with a newer hardware revision with better battery life, improved 3D screen, smaller, thinner and/or improved form factor, then I would have been much more frustrated for having bought REV 1. Cheaper, I can accept, but both better and cheaper would have been very frustrating.

If you don't have a DSL or DSi, then I think the new price for the 3DS is low enough that it is worth buying now instead of buying a DSL or DSi. Even if the 3DS game selection is crappy, you can still pick form the huge selection of DS games and the screens on the 3DS are pretty nice in 2D mode (and battery life is improved). Plus you have access to the new eStore now, where the selection will only get better.

But if you don't mind waiting (or already have a DSL/DSi), then there will always be something better/cheaper on the horizon.

[quote name='TraBuch']And I still won't get one. Mega Man Legends 3 was the only reason I was even thinking about picking up a 3DS.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing poor sales of the 3DS had more to do with them canceling the game than did lack of fan participation.

[quote name='WilliamG']Question: I'm assuming Nintendo still uses the backward method of it being by device, and not account? So, e.g. if I buy a 3DS now for the 20 games, when the inevitable redesign (if it even survives that long) is released, I won't be able to play those games (or ANYTHING I downloaded) on the redesign?

For that reason, the 3DS isn't even on my radar. :([/QUOTE]

Well, given that you can currently transfer your DSi games to your 3DS (one time thing I believe), I wouldn't be surprised if they offer something similar when going from the Rev 1 3DS to a Rev 2 or 3DS XL. But that's just a guess at the moment.

[quote name='WilliamG']Question: I'm assuming Nintendo still uses the backward method of it being by device, and not account? So, e.g. if I buy a 3DS now for the 20 games, when the inevitable redesign (if it even survives that long) is released, I won't be able to play those games (or ANYTHING I downloaded) on the redesign?

For that reason, the 3DS isn't even on my radar. :([/QUOTE]

There is an account transfer option on the 3DS in case you get a new one or are upgrading from a DSi like I did. This will let you connect both systems and transfer all your games over. Of course it will erase them from the old system. So if/when the redesign comes out you should have no issues with transferring over all this stuff.

I got a 3ds at launch and i have to say that I think this is great news.not disappointed at all. I hope sales will pick up now as a result. Furthermore very happy they decided togive some sort of compensation to early adopters in way of free games . All in all very good news.

Let me first say thank you, CAGs for reminding me that you can take advantage of the price match policies of stores to buy the $250 model, get join the ambassador program, and still get a $170 3DS. I was reading the articles about the price drop this morning and was somewhat tempted by the deal on the Virtual Console games (I really hope those GBA games don't stay exclusive for long). But, thanks to CAG, I can probably have my cake and eat it too!

I kind of was hoping to wait for a redesigned model. There's room for improvement with the battery and screen, in my opinion. The price also makes it awkward for my original plans of getting a DSi XL soon. I would like to have a separate DSi model of some sort or a spare DS Lite before they all get to their end of life. Now this makes it hard to justify it when the 3DS is at a similar price.

Glad to see a price drop, but I'm not sure if this is good for Nintendo or the game industry as a whole.

Hey guys, i was just at gamestop and as soon as i mentioned the price drop they told me "shhhhh dont say that out loud. We dont know if We are able to sell them right now (they probibly wont be able to)" so if you are going to try the price ajustment trick for the free games at gamestop then dont bother. Looks like they and other retailers are holding back stock so people cant do this exploit.

I'll wait until they do the inevitable redesign and price drop which will probably also address issues like the battery life. It's not like Nintendo doesn't always do this with their portables. Their track record with their initial portable launches sucks, and if you buy one of their portables at launch you suck too. I'm looking at you Gameboy ---> Gameboy Pocket, GBA with super dark screen --> GBA SP (obviously stands for Second Purchase), DS Phat --> DS Light --> DSi --> DSiXL

[quote name='strait edge follower']Hey guys, i was just at gamestop and as soon as i mentioned the price drop they told me "shhhhh dont say that out loud. We dont know if We are able to sell them right now (they probibly wont be able to)" so if you are going to try the price ajustment trick for the free games at gamestop then dont bother. Looks like they and other retailers are holding back stock so people cant do this exploit.[/QUOTE]

Daaaaaaang. That doesn't really make sense though, isn't Gamestop's price match policy 7 days? If they are worried about the "exploit" they wouldn't have to be concerned until the 5th. In fact do they even price match?

[quote name='strait edge follower']Hey guys, i was just at gamestop and as soon as i mentioned the price drop they told me "shhhhh dont say that out loud. We dont know if We are able to sell them right now (they probibly wont be able to)" so if you are going to try the price ajustment trick for the free games at gamestop then dont bother. Looks like they and other retailers are holding back stock so people cant do this exploit.[/QUOTE]

Gamestop almost never price adjusts or gives money back or price matches. Its simply not their policy, so it doesnt surprise me. However, Best Buy or Frys, where employees are not so informed about gaming issues, should definitely let you buy it and then get the price adjustment when August 12 hits.

[quote name='Jurassic425']Daaaaaaang. That doesn't really make sense though, isn't Gamestop's price match policy 7 days? If they are worried about the "exploit" they wouldn't have to be concerned until the 5th. In fact do they even price match?[/QUOTE]

They DON't price match in fact. I think that store was worried of someone buying it, not opening it and returning it then finally re-buying it. Well, it IS Gamestop though. I wouldn't even get it at Gamestop in the first place.

[quote name='Jurassic425']Daaaaaaang. That doesn't really make sense though, isn't Gamestop's price match policy 7 days? If they are worried about the "exploit" they wouldn't have to be concerned until the 5th. In fact do they even price match?[/QUOTE]

Ive heard of them price ajusting before. I bet nintendo are telling retailers not to do price ajusting for the 3ds because of the free game thing

I hate to say this, but if I were to get in on the 20 free games offer, I may actually go out and pick up a 3ds and price adjust on the 12th. This is amazing since I was in NO WAY looking to purchase a 3ds at all. Never even STOPPED TO THINK about buying one. At least Nintendo's method of tryin to boost sales is working...

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']I hate to say this, but if I were to get in on the 20 free games offer, I may actually go out and pick up a 3ds and price adjust on the 12th. This is amazing since I was in NO WAY looking to purchase a 3ds at all. Never even STOPPED TO THINK about buying one. At least Nintendo's method of tryin to boost sales is working...[/QUOTE]

You are buying it just to play 10 to 20 year old games ? Or is this just the deal breaker to Liau you to get it

[quote name='Vinny']I'm guessing poor sales of the 3DS had more to do with them canceling the game than did lack of fan participation.[/QUOTE]

Doubtful. The sales numbers as of March were still 3.6 mil, which is only low compared to the 4 mil that was expected. If your game is only going to be profitable if the install base is 400k higher, you have some serious budget problems.

[quote name='Irohazaka'] I got a 3ds at launch and i have to say that I think this is great news.not disappointed at all. I hope sales will pick up now as a result. Furthermore very happy they decided togive some sort of compensation to early adopters in way of free games . All in all very good news. [/QUOTE]

I totally agree. I've actually been expecting the price drop since E3, but I wasn't expecting twenty free games. I know haters gonna hate, but price drops happen, and that's a serious gesture to early adopters. I'm impressed.

Doesn't announcing that you have to be logged in at least one the day before the drop make it so people buy the console at a store by then but make sure it get the price match for the drop in price?

Or am I missing something?

Also, doesn't this basically kill all sales from 7/28 - > 8/11 at all? Anything sold in that period has to be due to the promotion and the price drop, right?

The price match is a pretty easy exploit. There must have been some talks around the nintendo offices about ways to stop it.

Of course They may not really care, it may be the best buys of the world who need to have some quick discussions about this. I'm not sure who takes this hit on a price match gaurantee, the retailer or the publisher.

Looks like Amazon has stopped taking orders and is now showing a pre-order page.

I'm annoyed that they won't match the price. I just bought mine. Now I have to return it, they will end up with an open box 3DS that they have to sell at less than the new MSRP. Instead they could just give me credit to use on other Amazon stuff.

[quote name='Karasu The Blade']I'll wait until they do the inevitable redesign and price drop which will probably also address issues like the battery life. It's not like Nintendo doesn't always do this with their portables. Their track record with their initial portable launches sucks, and if you buy one of their portables at launch you suck too. I'm looking at you Gameboy ---> Gameboy Pocket, GBA with super dark screen --> GBA SP (obviously stands for Second Purchase), DS Phat --> DS Light --> DSi --> DSiXL[/QUOTE]

The older hardware is the cheaper one; the newer hardware is usually more expensive. So if you're waiting for a redesign AND a price drop, you're not gonna get both on the same unit. Also, later iterations of hardware aren't always better. I'm looking at you, PSP (1000, 2000, 3000) --> PSP Go.

[quote name='Xellos2099']any idea if the 3ds black still got issue?[/QUOTE]

What issues?

[quote name='tranceFusion']Looks like Amazon has stopped taking orders and is now showing a pre-order page.

I'm annoyed that they won't match the price. I just bought mine. Now I have to return it, they will end up with an open box 3DS that they have to sell at less than the new MSRP. Instead they could just give me credit to use on other Amazon stuff.[/QUOTE]

So it begins

[quote name='MrNEWZ']Doesn't announcing that you have to be logged in at least one the day before the drop make it so people buy the console at a store by then but make sure it get the price match for the drop in price?

Or am I missing something?

Also, doesn't this basically kill all sales from 7/28 - > 8/11 at all? Anything sold in that period has to be due to the promotion and the price drop, right?[/QUOTE]

Generally for a price match the store doesn't care that you've opened the item. You just need your receipt showing proof you purchased it and at what price. This is much different then a return-rebuy.

I think this has to kill sales also. Unless someone values the games at around $90 then no one in their right mind would buy one now (without attempting a price match at select retailers). Maybe the clueless moms and dads who don't know anything about the deal. It's already hitting mainstream press though because someone came up to me at work today and asked about it. . . . And he's an older guy that's not into games at all.

[quote name='strait edge follower']You are buying it just to play 10 to 20 year old games ? Or is this just the deal breaker to Liau you to get it[/QUOTE]

I think the deal of 170 + 20 free even old games is now the deal that has convinced me. (If I can get away with it...)

[quote name='Maynard']and it's still $50 too much.[/QUOTE]

this.. im in no rush to get one at all.. MAYBe if its like 129.99 i'll get one. Honestly 3D is a gimick, i dont give a crap about it. I dont get why studios are pushing that crap so much. Its cool that you dont need glasses for it on this, but i still just dont really care

There are a few games that look cool though. Like tales of the abyss and shin megami remake. So i will probably keep an eye out for sales this x-mas. The majority of its use would be playing older DS games though. And i hear it doesn't do that very well for some reason

By the way for the free games. Arent d.loads locked to one console? so if that one dies or you switch your boned right?

As a day one buyer of the 3DS I also am of two minds about this. I really enjoy the system and do notice most of the biggest complainers don't have one. I am glad I had it to take on a road trip across country, some of the 3d pictures I took are really neat. Are they FANTASTIC quality? No, but I have some cool 3D pictures of the Hoover Dam I wouldn't have had if I waited to buy. ;)

On one hand, I didn't expect it to sell like the DS Lite (people really forget what an uphill battle the DS had pre-launch and into 2005). I thought it'd be a slow and steady burn, with a likely drop to and/or holiday bundle at $199, but I figured 9 months of ownership would trump a bundle with a game I'd likely already have. And I could play the initial batch of games that interested me when they came out.

On the other, this price drop is AWFULLY fast and HUGE percentage wise. When I first saw "20 games" I was thinking "wow, I get the whole crappy 3ds library!" but now with it being GBA/GB games I'm sort of meh. Some of them are great, some not as much... it's nice they're doing something but like others said, maybe an actual 1st party 3DS title would've been a bit more welcomed.

As for the price match/etc-- Nintendo knew EXACTLY what they were doing with the "ambassador" program. They easily could've cut it off yesterday to make sure ONLY early adopters got in on it. But by delaying it a bit they'll get buzz from people buying now and the price cut goes into effect a bit early. There is no way there's a new SKU (unless they're going to air-ship units from factories in China, which is expensive and defeats the purpose of the price drop) will be ready in time to neuter a price drop. Just make sure you buy it within the timeline of the store's PM policies.

For people arguing the "$108 in materials!" point-- I guess you think all of Nintendo's employees work for free? R&D costs nothing? okaaay.

My basic feelings on the 3ds-- it's a great little system with a lot of potential, that Nintendo REALLY crippled badly by launching with such horrible titles. Even the Nintendo titles which are normally the stars of a launch were fairly mediocre. But I personally think the 3d effect is great, it doesn't bug me (and I am super sensitive to headaches/motion sickness), and I like the system a lot. It just needs a lot of software help and hopefully this price drop will help the install base and get more games going. I'm really disappointed Crush got delayed, hopefully now it'll come out (I know it was dated into 2012 but I read that with some trepidation..).

They really should cut prices of games back to DS level, as well.

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']I think the deal of 170 + 20 free even old games is now the deal that has convinced me. (If I can get away with it...)[/QUOTE]

Good luck and i hope you get it :)

[quote name='joshrocker']Generally for a price match the store doesn't care that you've opened the item. You just need your receipt showing proof you purchased it and at what price. This is much different then a return-rebuy. [/QUOTE]

That was my point.

[quote name='joshrocker']I think this has to kill sales also. Unless someone values the games at around $90 then no one in their right mind would buy one now (without attempting a price match at select retailers). Maybe the clueless moms and dads who don't know anything about the deal. It's already hitting mainstream press though because someone came up to me at work today and asked about it. . . . And he's an older guy that's not into games at all.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I wonder if stores will just remove stock to solve the problem. Then begs the question --- why not just drop the price immediately and make sure stock as of X day is accounted for to get the refund due from Nintendo?

They should release Dead or Alive: Xtreme Volleyball or just Samus from Metroid in some sexy suits. In for 4 3DS.

Here is my question gamestop has 3ds used for what 329.99 or 339.99 point being if i bought the one coupon that makes it 25 dollars cheaper for used system before the 12th. Would I be able to get the 20 games deal still or no i got to purchase a new system for that stuff?

[quote name='gn2007']Here is my question gamestop has 3ds used for what 329.99 or 339.99 point being if i bought the one coupon that makes it 25 dollars cheaper for used system before the 12th. Would I be able to get the 20 games deal still or no i got to purchase a new system for that stuff?[/QUOTE]

Used works, ANY 3DS before Aug 11. Used for $329 though? That's horrible.

[quote name='Kenshindono']Honestly 3D is a gimick, i dont give a crap about it.[/QUOTE]

I was saying that in the beginning, and really felt this way after seeing Avatar in 3D. But after playing OoT on the 3DS, I’m very supportive of this tech. To be honest, now I don’t see it as a different evolution than what HD did or the introduction of a retina display on my iPhone 4.

[quote name='trq']The older hardware is the cheaper one; the newer hardware is usually more expensive. So if you're waiting for a redesign AND a price drop, you're not gonna get both on the same unit. Also, later iterations of hardware aren't always better. I'm looking at you, PSP (1000, 2000, 3000) --> PSP Go.

What issues?[/QUOTE]

The PSP go was not an updated version it was an entirely new model.

[quote name='MrNEWZ']That was my point.

Interesting. I wonder if stores will just remove stock to solve the problem. Then begs the question --- why not just drop the price immediately and make sure stock as of X day is accounted for to get the refund due from Nintendo?[/QUOTE]

Agreed, a instant price drop would prevent sales from Being stagnant

[quote name='Maynard']Did they make any games for the system? Or is it still just remakes of games when Nintendo was actually innovative?

$99 I may be tempted because I'm sure we'll get more remakes of Nintendo games that we want to play, but seriously Nintendo starting make fun games again that are actually NEW.[/QUOTE]
How about actually looking for yourself? :roll:

Steel Diver, Pilotwings, Nintendogs+Cats, Luigi's Mansion, Kid Icarus, Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Professor Layton, Animal Crossing, and Super Mario aren't remakes.

[quote name='Justin42']For people arguing the "$108 in materials!" point-- I guess you think all of Nintendo's employees work for free? R&D costs nothing? okaaay.[/QUOTE]

You are dead on with everything but this comment needs additional details.

Those indicating materials only have never had to sell anything in their life. Ever.

Or make anything in their life ever.

Materials on food, products, etc are generally supposed to be at or below 30% of your TOTAL sales price of a product. That's Nintendo's sales price --- not Best Buy or Walmart or Gamestop. Materials are only a small portion of a total cost of goods sold that a company has to deal with. Some have different standards they have to meet in order to make a project sustainable or even allowed to be produced. Others require certain costs to sales price models to determine if the project should move forward. I don't have all of Nintendo's details, but these are general principles.

A total cost of an item out the door is usually simplified as follows:

-Materials cost (cost, transit, etc.)

-Labor cost (assembly, benefits, etc.)

-Overhead costs (management, marketing, R&D, pr, the building, storage for the items between make-to-sell, insurance, etc.)

-Returns/Defect costs (think the broken returned units cost nothing? What about the errors they catch before the item is sent off?)

Some companies have additional costs of transit, limited shelf life, etc to be wary of.

$108 in out of pocket materials cost for a $250 of tech would be relatively low--- especially in the early adopter stage.

[quote name='karyadi']Used works, ANY 3DS before Aug 11. Used for $329 though? That's horrible.[/QUOTE]

lol sorry typo with my fingers but so there is no like one person owner per 3ds or anything silly like that cause i may bite then because i do have that much points on the power up rewards so will take a look

[quote name='tranceFusion']Looks like Amazon has stopped taking orders and is now showing a pre-order page.

I'm annoyed that they won't match the price. I just bought mine. Now I have to return it, they will end up with an open box 3DS that they have to sell at less than the new MSRP. Instead they could just give me credit to use on other Amazon stuff.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same situation. I got mine last month and it looks like the only way for me to get it at the $169 price point is to return it and then buy again. It would be easier for both parties (seller/buyer) to just do a price adjust. With the $80 difference, the retailer/seller loses either way even with a restocking fee on returns. I would think that they lose more for an open box item compared to giving credits on a price adjustment.

[quote name='iwannadie']The PSP go was not an updated version it was an entirely new model.[/QUOTE]
Same games, but without UMDs. That's just an update like the DSi.

[quote name='strait edge follower']Agreed, a instant price drop would prevent sales from Being stagnant[/QUOTE]

Then the compensation doesn't go out to just early adopters.

Launch Day 3DS owner. Not mad at all because I knew the risks buying it launch. Now with that said, 20 free games is just awesome :D. I can see why they adopted this strategy though. They got how many sales at the $250 pricepoint, and they were making like $100 a pop in pure profits pretty much. Plus these download games cost them literally like a penny or two in bandwidth to make the people who bought it early happy.

It doesn't make up for the fact that there is no Xenoblade in America but at the same time, it help restores some faith.

[quote name='gn2007']lol sorry typo with my fingers but so there is no like one person owner per 3ds or anything silly like that cause i may bite then because i do have that much points on the power up rewards so will take a look[/QUOTE]

Not sure about Nintendo Rewards however if you just sign in onto the internet it should work. I logged in with my DSi and their shop way before I even registered my product. You could ask around more though to be extra sure.

Even in the worst case bb refuse to pm, nothing stop us from.returning it. No way in hell retail store canstop someone from returning an item.

So how about getting ourselvez into a favorable conditon and see what happen?

As a launch day buyer, I think this is actually not bad - it doesn't bother me at all. The price change is coming well in advance of the Vita and is honestly what they need to retain the market against a vastly more powerful handheld. Both at $250 it was a wash and the Vita was looking really good, now at $80 less?

The addition of 20 free games takes any frustration with paying full price away. I've been enjoying Zelda, SF4, etc. for a few months on the go now and now they are going to give me a ton of really great games too? Sweet. Just yesterday I was lamenting my major complaint with the 3DS (and the DSi) in that I couldn't play my GBA games like Metroid Fusion and Super Mario 3 on it. I had actually considered picking up a DSLite for that exact reason before they went off the market, so in essence this SAVES me money. Add Metroid Zero Mission, Super Mario World and Zelda 3 to the list of 5 unknowns (or make them available at some point) and I will be one happy camper.

The 3DS will come back now that it has a more parent friendly price (let's face it, mass market success depends on this, if dedicated games were all it takes for a console to succeed we would be playing a Dreamcast 2 right now). This fall we will see a brand new Super Mario and Mario Kart and the 3DS will surge back. Who thinks Super Mario 3DS isn't going to be on practically every kid's Santa list this holiday?

Also a day 1 adopter and I'm not upset although I'm surprised there's this big of a price drop so early. By the time the year ends we will have Zelda OoT, Super Mario 3D Land, Star Fox 3DS, Mario Kart 7(Mario Kart 3DS), and Kid Icarus Uprising. Also with 3rd party games like DOA Dimensions, Cave Story, Tales of the Abyss and others surely it would have sold much better later in the year. Either way 20 free games is awesome, I'm just wondering what the other 5 NES and 5 GBA titles will be as 10 have been announced already. I'm hoping this will finally bring GBA titles to the eShop though!

The real winners in all this are probably people who can buy a 3DS around $190-$200 used and still get the 20 games as long as they connect to the eShop before the August 12th price drop.

I should also say (too lazy to go back to edit my last treatise) the 3DS is a much more complete system now than when it launched. It really felt like a rushed launch (to be as far away from Vita as possible?) but now that the system has a web browser, the Shop is working, etc.. things are much more stable.

[quote name='Kenshindono']The majority of its use would be playing older DS games though. And i hear it doesn't do that very well for some reason ... Arent d.loads locked to one console? so if that one dies or you switch your boned right?[/QUOTE]

It's because the screen is bigger and higher res, older games look off. But you can boot the 3DS in the original aspect ratio by holding start and select when you select the game. I've been clearing out my DS backlog in between 3DS games, and it's a non-problem. And no, downloads can be transferred, at least DSi to 3DS.

[quote name='iwannadie']The PSP go was not an updated version it was an entirely new model.[/QUOTE]

Nope, because ...

[quote name='juanawoman']Same games, but without UMDs. That's just an update like the DSi.[/QUOTE]

Bingo.

[quote name='Justin42']I should also say (too lazy to go back to edit my last treatise) the 3DS is a much more complete system now than when it launched. It really felt like a rushed launch (to be as far away from Vita as possible?) but now that the system has a web browser, the Shop is working, etc.. things are much more stable.[/QUOTE]

Also, Netflix is awesome. In fact, I think I'm gonna go grab a coffee and finish watching "Black Death" on my 3DS in Starbucks right now...

bread's done
Back