3DS MSRP Drop to $169.99 On 08/12/11, already at Target, WM, Amazon

Celsius

CAGiversary!
Pre-order at the lower price at Amazon
iconwalmart_r3.gif
Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

Quick Details:

Connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11 to qualify for the below free games:

NES Virtual Console games:
Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong JR.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climbers
The Legend of Zelda
+ 5 more

Gameboy Advance Virtual Console games (exclusive to this program)
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart Advance
Metroid Fusion
Wario ware
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
+ 3 more

US Press Release
REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo of America today announced plans to drop the suggested retail price of its portable Nintendo 3DS™system to $169.99 in the United States, as new games based on some of the world’s most beloved video game franchises head to the system. The new price, down from the suggested launch price of $249.99 and effective Aug. 12, makes an outstanding value even better and sets up a strong holiday season for the system.

“For anyone who was on the fence about buying a Nintendo 3DS, this is a huge motivation to buy now,” said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. “We are giving shoppers every incentive to pick up a Nintendo 3DS, from an amazing new price to a rapid-fire succession of great games.”

Nintendo 3DS has the strongest software lineup of any video game system this holiday season and the new price now opens up the glasses-free 3D experience to many more consumers. Building on the popularity of The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ 3D, which launched June 19, the upcoming game calendar is a Who’s Who of iconic video game franchises. Star Fox 64™ 3D arrives on Sept. 9, followed by Super Mario™ 3D Land in November, Mario Kart™ 7 in December and Kid Icarus™: Uprising during the holiday season. In addition to great games, Nintendo 3DS has a host of attractive features* that make it the must-have video game system this season:

The new Nintendo Video™ service automatically delivers short 3D videos from the worlds of music, comedy, animation and Hollywood.A free application allows Netflix members with unlimited streaming plans to instantly watch TV episodes and movies streaming from Netflix.

The Nintendo eShop is a digital store for Nintendo 3DS owners that provides access to a wide variety of downloadable content, such as original 3D software, classic games that have been re-mastered in 3D called 3D Classics, Game Boy™ and Game Boy Color “Virtual Console” games in their original 2D glory, and more than 350 Nintendo DSiWare™ games. Visitors can also view video game trailers, screen shots and product information for games, including those available at retail locations.

Since Nintendo 3DS launched in the United States on March 27, more than 830,000 people in the U.S. alone have purchased one to enjoy 3D visuals without the need for special glasses. These Nintendo 3DS owners represent some of Nintendo’s most loyal customers, and Nintendo is rewarding them for getting in on the action early with 20 free downloadable games from the Nintendo eShop.

These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11. These users will automatically be registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program. The program contains two elements:

Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost. By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi’s Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

More details about this program will be announced in the future.

Japan details
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110728_3e.pdf

For Japan, if you buy before august 12, 2011 -- the day of the price drop you get 10 free VC NES games and 10 free VC GB advance games. the VC gba games will only be made available for early adopters -- and never for those who buy on the price drop date.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/index.html

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/detail.html

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='strait edge follower']i come back from work and People are still debating here ? Lets just enjoy the price drop and paly our backlogs :)[/QUOTE]

Sorry... I'm just trying to strengthen my position and make sure my logic is sound. It's been known to be off a time or two before... :D

[quote name='strait edge follower']i come back from work and People are still debating here ? Lets just enjoy the price drop and paly our backlogs :)[/QUOTE]

Guess I can add a 20 game backlog to my collection :lol:

[quote name='spug21']You know I've heard tons of complaints about this on the internets and even seen videos of people complaining but it honestly doesn't bother me at all.[/QUOTE]

Let me know how much it doesn't bother you when you try to play Elite Beat Agents or Ouendan on a display that's even smaller than a regular DS. For DS games, XL all the way.

[quote name='io']I tend to like turn-based strategy games, JRPGs and things like the Professor Layton games. Well, guess what? Most of those are on the DS now.[/QUOTE]

Incidentally, games like those are what I use my handhelds for. Most of my DS game collection are turn based and/or puzzle games. Though, I believe the PSP has plenty of strategy and rpgs to hold its own against the DS. I hardly touch my DS now, instead concurrently going through Trails in the Sky and Class of Heroes on the PSP.

[quote name='strait edge follower']Dude why are you low balling him for ? You gotta give him more than that ............. il Give you 21 for it[/QUOTE]

Being gentlemen of CAG, I will give him $25.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']This is exactly my feeling. I love the 3DS for short gaming, or when there is something I want to watch on tv. Like especially for Dead or Alive, I could pick that up for 20-30 minutes, get far in it and then put it down.

Also I consider the 3DS to be a different type of machine. I don't want to play a handheld to play FPS games, or action games like god of war. I want the handheld to have games like metroidvanias, 2D games, different types of RPG games, etc. Something the console games don't offer. It's not the argument about if I want to play on a HDTV, computer, or 3DS screen. It's more about what type of game do I want to play.[/QUOTE]

This, to the Extreme.

Think I might pick one up now. Maybe on 8/10 or so. Anyone know if VC games on the 3DS are restricted to one system, or if I get it now and then the 3DS lite comes out, can the games be moved?

[quote name='Covnam']if I get it now and then the 3DS lite comes out, can the games be moved?[/QUOTE]

There's a 'System Transfer' option in place so yeah it looks like that will be possible.

And just to clarify, this option now is for a DSi to the 3DS but the simple fact that it's there would imply going forward they'll hopefully do the same thing.

At first i was 100% Sure that i was going to wait till black friday for a bundle deal but with nintendo's trend of releasing one ds revision after another i might wait till next year to get it. Hm what shall i do ?

[quote name='strait edge follower']At first i was 100% Sure that i was going to wait till black friday for a bundle deal but with nintendo's trend of releasing one ds revision after another i might wait till next year to get it. Hm what shall i do ?[/QUOTE]

Are you serious? Why would you ask that now, rather than at black friday where 1) we know what actual BF deal is 2) we might know of any upcoming revisions?

Judging by how many posts you have in this thread already, do you just like hanging around making badly hidden negative statements about Nintendo?

[quote name='Antipodes']Are you serious? Why would you ask that now, rather than at black friday where 1) we know what actual BF deal is 2) we might know of any upcoming revisions?

How many posts do you have alone in this thread that are all negative?[/QUOTE]

Negative ? Its not like im saying "ah nintendo is the worst im never buying from them again" i want a 3ds and will get one. All im saying is that knowing nintendo at least one more revision or two of the 3ds will be released. If one with better battery life, bigger screen, etc is comming out then thats even better. Dont act like others bickering about small stuff. Heck, half of this thread has been deleted because of that lol

I caved in and bought one from Best Buy for 250. It feels so strange. Anyway the clerks that sold it knew about the nintendo price drop and they told me 100% guaranteed that if the price drops within the next 30 days. I am more than welcome to come back and get the difference. open box or not. I can only hope they are right.

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']I caved in and bought one from Best Buy for 250. It feels so strange. Anyway the clerks that sold it knew about the nintendo price drop and they told me 100% guaranteed that if the price drops within the next 30 days. I am more than welcome to come back and get the difference. open box or not. I can only hope they are right.[/QUOTE]

Since you are as cheap as Wenger, do you buy 4 dollar crappy games for your xbox/ps3 or do you not spend at all? :D

I still refuse to pick one of these up until they offer a decent lineup of games. Maybe by the end of the year (if the upcoming games live up to the hype) I'll bite on one. :p

[quote name='labelmeoriginal']I still refuse to pick one of these up until they offer a decent lineup of games. Maybe by the end of the year (if the upcoming games live up to the hype) I'll bite on one. :p[/QUOTE]

I looked through the preorder games coming up and there is still not one game I would buy for this system. So I agree.

If we've already registered our 3DS for coins, downloaded various free software from the e-shop (along with completing their respective surveys on club nintendo for coins), visited the e-shop on various occasions, did the most recent system update for the 3DS, and have proof of all of this in our club nintendo accounts are we good to go and automatically registered in the 3DS ambassador's program for the 20 free classic games?. or do we actually have to connect to the e-shop on 8/11/11 during that 24 hour period to qualify?. confused. just asking since i've done all of this already and have the proof in my account xD.

Right from the OP
These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Right from the OP
These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11.[/QUOTE]

This is the part that confuses me. it says on Aug.11. do they mean anytime before this date or the day of?. no way i'm losing out on this deal :lol:.

[quote name='jacknicklson']It says at least once before that time on that date, you are fine[/QUOTE]

Awsome :). thanks for the clarifacation on that :D. can't wait to play these on the go :D.

[quote name='iforeverlovemyfamily']This is the part that confuses me. it says on Aug.11. do they mean anytime before this date or the day of?. no way i'm losing out on this deal :lol:.[/QUOTE]
This isn't Sony so the date is in stone.

For other talking about DS iterations...
Original DS - 11/2004
DSLite - 6/2006
DSi - 4/2009
DSiXL - 3/2010
Gap between models is more like 2 to 3 years, not the less than a year to 1 year gap that has been claimed.

[quote name='lordopus99']This isn't Sony so the date is in stone.

For other talking about DS iterations...
Original DS - 11/2004
DSLite - 6/2006
DSi - 4/2009
DSiXL - 3/2010
Gap between models is more like 2 to 3 years, not the less than a year to 1 year gap that has been claimed.[/QUOTE]

A lot of the 1 year has to do when it was announced if I understand it correctly. So while there were months apart we knew X was coming cause Y said it would.

The system finally has hit a more affordable price point. Unfortunately, consumer spending is down, debt ceiling issues may cause more harm than not in the US, and if Wall Street crashes again...

is it bad that despite all my money woes I'm tempted to buy one still?

Hmmm is there a loophole to get the new price a day early so one would also get the free games? I'm hoping a vendor screws up and offers the new price a little early.

[quote name='ooga']Hmmm is there a loophole to get the new price a day early so one would also get the free games? I'm hoping a vendor screws up and offers the new price a little early.[/QUOTE]

Take advantage of every retailers' price adjustment policy, and then you'll be all set.

[quote name='kirby_fox']

is it bad that despite all my money woes I'm tempted to buy one still?[/QUOTE]

No, in fact spending what you don't have makes you a good American!

I'm hoping that sales still stink and then around xmas they have to bundle it with a good game to drum up sales. I'll take a free copy of Paper Mario with my $170 3DS, please. :)

[quote name='crunchewy']I'm hoping that sales still stink and then around xmas they have to bundle it with a good game to drum up sales. I'll take a free copy of Paper Mario with my $170 3DS, please. :)[/QUOTE]

Initially I was hoping for the same thing since I loved my DS so much. I wanted a mixed release, strong price drop then great sales. Now though seeing how the Vita looks so godly in comparison to the 3DS and now after owning an Ipad....I kind of hope the 3DS keeps plummeting. The market is split enough between IOS and the handhelds, having a developer out of the equation would make things cheaper for me ;) Then again I guess ill end up buying a 3DS no matter what since Mario is like my fav series ever....even if the 3DS never received another game ever that I wanted id have to buy one for Mario and Layton ;(

I wouldn't worry too much, I have a feeling this 2 week "loophole" was kinda by design. Folks who don't follow game news will see the system at the time of price drop and then buy it if they want it.

Folks who do follow game news know the price drop will be permanent and thus have no incentive to rush out and purchase it until a game(s) they want releases. However, put a 2 week clock on the deal by including 20 free games that doesn't cost them anything out of pocket and it spurs hardcore gamers to make purchases now in one big chunk instead of them being spread out over the next 3+ months.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Initially I was hoping for the same thing since I loved my DS so much. I wanted a mixed release, strong price drop then great sales. Now though seeing how the Vita looks so godly in comparison to the 3DS and now after owning an Ipad....I kind of hope the 3DS keeps plummeting. The market is split enough between IOS and the handhelds, having a developer out of the equation would make things cheaper for me ;) Then again I guess ill end up buying a 3DS no matter what since Mario is like my fav series ever....even if the 3DS never received another game ever that I wanted id have to buy one for Mario and Layton ;([/QUOTE]

I'm definitely interested in the Vita, but I just don't get the IOS games, I tried a few and was unimpressed. Most of them felt like copies of other games, and a lot of them just weren't fun for me.

[quote name='docvinh']I'm definitely interested in the Vita, but I just don't get the IOS games, I tried a few and was unimpressed. Most of them felt like copies of other games, and a lot of them just weren't fun for me.[/QUOTE]

Well, most of the good games are ports.

[quote name='docvinh']I'm definitely interested in the Vita, but I just don't get the IOS games, I tried a few and was unimpressed. Most of them felt like copies of other games, and a lot of them just weren't fun for me.[/QUOTE]

Most of them are, but that does not mean there are not a ton of other quality games. Thing is that most of the best stuff on IOS is indy stuff so it takes some digging, you cant just pop on the app store and buy stuff because there are 10,000s of games and you wont just know whats the best.

I recommend checking out this channel on Youtube, they do a good job reviewing IOS games in around 60 second clips.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ExtraLivesTV

Just wanted to clarify something here: someone earlier in the thread said that if you opened the 3DS, you would be unable to return it to Best Buy. This isn't true. Unlike video game software, opened consoles can be returned for any reason within 30 days. It states this clearly on both Best Buy's site and on the back of the receipt.
No restocking fees, no "store credit only"... a full refund.

So anyone that wants to price match and get the 20 free games: buy now and don't worry...even if they try to deny you a price match when the 12th comes around, you'll be out nothing since you can just return the opened system to them.

Seeing that I have Vacation pay coming at the end of August, I'll only buy one if it goes on sale for $199.99 here in the states prior to August 12th. It is currently $199.99 at bestbuy.ca for you Canadians. So you can purchase it on sale & get your 20 free games with a difference of $30.

-DarkLegacy

[quote name='cRodz']Grammar misspelling is a diamond dozen on the internet. I dont get the need to correct others[/QUOTE]
LMAO, I have to say that is the first original troll I've seen here.

Turns out 3DS sales did not perform to expectation, by a lot. Furthermore, Iwata took full responsibility to the tune of halving his salary and cutting executives pay by 30%. I must say, I'm impressed with their response. The US government should take a few notes. . .

We're not really the crowd that really cares about iOS games, that's why. There are a few games on my Android phone that I did play til I beat, but they're short. Specifically, Peggle and Hex Defense, and the former is on like every system.

On the 3DS are the games purchased attached to the handheld or to an account? I never purchase anything on the Wii because it isn't tied to me, but my console. I hate to see it go the way of do doo taking my purchases with it.

[quote name='elsnerma']Just wanted to clarify something here: someone earlier in the thread said that if you opened the 3DS, you would be unable to return it to Best Buy. This isn't true. Unlike video game software, opened consoles can be returned for any reason within 30 days. It states this clearly on both Best Buy's site and on the back of the receipt.
No restocking fees, no "store credit only"... a full refund.

So anyone that wants to price match and get the 20 free games: buy now and don't worry...even if they try to deny you a price match when the 12th comes around, you'll be out nothing since you can just return the opened system to them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I assumed the open and its exchange for the same item only policy applied to video game software and systems. I guess not. Still, even if it will work with only a bit of hassle, after a day considering this "deal" my overall impression is:

ITS A TRAP!!!

Nintendo is trying to trick us into buying a system we don't really want, because it comes with 20 old games we already have and the spiffy ambassador name. Its tempting, but my impression is that this is a fake price drop and fake value. The 3DS is now MSRP, nothing more.

Here is the checklist for if you should bite on the deal.
1. Do you want to pay $170 for a 3DS, then $30 to $40 for each game
2. Do you want these 20 old games that you already have on 4+ systems

This is CAG. If $170 is a good price point, and MSRP is ok with you, then go ahead. In my case I've decided to wait more though. The 3DS is now priced to what it should have been all along, and better bundles, upgrades, games, and prices will still come soon enough. Especially once the Vita comes out (for both systems) and then you can decide which you want.

[quote name='guardian_owl']I wouldn't worry too much, I have a feeling this 2 week "loophole" was kinda by design. Folks who don't follow game news will see the system at the time of price drop and then buy it if they want it.

Folks who do follow game news know the price drop will be permanent and thus have no incentive to rush out and purchase it until a game(s) they want releases. However, put a 2 week clock on the deal by including 20 free games that doesn't cost them anything out of pocket and it spurs hardcore gamers to make purchases now in one big chunk instead of them being spread out over the next 3+ months.[/QUOTE] Exactly. Its like they are trying to create "launch craze" a 2nd time. Trick the hardcore holdouts into thinking they are gaming the system by getting both deals to stack, when really that is exactly what they planned and set the promotion up to encourage.

[quote name='cRodz']Since you are as cheap as Wenger, do you buy 4 dollar crappy games for your xbox/ps3 or do you not spend at all? :D[/QUOTE]

hahaha The funny thing is...I DO buy 4 dollar crappy games that I never play for my 360 and ps3 all the time.

bread's done
Back