3DS MSRP Drop to $169.99 On 08/12/11, already at Target, WM, Amazon

Celsius

CAGiversary!
Pre-order at the lower price at Amazon
iconwalmart_r3.gif
Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

Quick Details:

Connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11 to qualify for the below free games:

NES Virtual Console games:
Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong JR.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climbers
The Legend of Zelda
+ 5 more

Gameboy Advance Virtual Console games (exclusive to this program)
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart Advance
Metroid Fusion
Wario ware
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
+ 3 more

US Press Release
REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo of America today announced plans to drop the suggested retail price of its portable Nintendo 3DS™system to $169.99 in the United States, as new games based on some of the world’s most beloved video game franchises head to the system. The new price, down from the suggested launch price of $249.99 and effective Aug. 12, makes an outstanding value even better and sets up a strong holiday season for the system.

“For anyone who was on the fence about buying a Nintendo 3DS, this is a huge motivation to buy now,” said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. “We are giving shoppers every incentive to pick up a Nintendo 3DS, from an amazing new price to a rapid-fire succession of great games.”

Nintendo 3DS has the strongest software lineup of any video game system this holiday season and the new price now opens up the glasses-free 3D experience to many more consumers. Building on the popularity of The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ 3D, which launched June 19, the upcoming game calendar is a Who’s Who of iconic video game franchises. Star Fox 64™ 3D arrives on Sept. 9, followed by Super Mario™ 3D Land in November, Mario Kart™ 7 in December and Kid Icarus™: Uprising during the holiday season. In addition to great games, Nintendo 3DS has a host of attractive features* that make it the must-have video game system this season:

The new Nintendo Video™ service automatically delivers short 3D videos from the worlds of music, comedy, animation and Hollywood.A free application allows Netflix members with unlimited streaming plans to instantly watch TV episodes and movies streaming from Netflix.

The Nintendo eShop is a digital store for Nintendo 3DS owners that provides access to a wide variety of downloadable content, such as original 3D software, classic games that have been re-mastered in 3D called 3D Classics, Game Boy™ and Game Boy Color “Virtual Console” games in their original 2D glory, and more than 350 Nintendo DSiWare™ games. Visitors can also view video game trailers, screen shots and product information for games, including those available at retail locations.

Since Nintendo 3DS launched in the United States on March 27, more than 830,000 people in the U.S. alone have purchased one to enjoy 3D visuals without the need for special glasses. These Nintendo 3DS owners represent some of Nintendo’s most loyal customers, and Nintendo is rewarding them for getting in on the action early with 20 free downloadable games from the Nintendo eShop.

These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11. These users will automatically be registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program. The program contains two elements:

Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost. By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi’s Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

More details about this program will be announced in the future.

Japan details
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110728_3e.pdf

For Japan, if you buy before august 12, 2011 -- the day of the price drop you get 10 free VC NES games and 10 free VC GB advance games. the VC gba games will only be made available for early adopters -- and never for those who buy on the price drop date.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/index.html

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/detail.html

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='labelmeoriginal']Microsoft needs to make a handheld. Srsly.[/QUOTE]

They have. Multiple times. They've all sucked. The Zune HD and now Winmo 7 is the closest they've come to a really good interface, but I'd still rather play games on iOS or even an Android. The Winmo 7 demo units we have at the office gather dust.

MS has just barely learned from their past mistakes in the handheld market, what makes anyone think that they could sell a dedicated gaming handheld?? Even Sony couldn't do it, and now Nintendo is failing as well. If the king of portable gaming can't sell a 3DS, a Winmo 7 gameboy will fail even harder.

[quote name='Digital Idiot']They have. Multiple times. They've all sucked. The Zune HD and now Winmo 7 is the closest they've come to a really good interface, but I'd still rather play games on iOS or even an Android. The Winmo 7 demo units we have at the office gather dust.

MS has just barely learned from their past mistakes in the handheld market, what makes anyone think that they could sell a dedicated gaming handheld?? Even Sony couldn't do it, and now Nintendo is failing as well. If the king of portable gaming can't sell a 3DS, a Winmo 7 gameboy will fail even harder.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure they mean a standalone gaming handheld, not a Zune or mobile phone. As far as I know, MS has not released such a product.

Xenogears has a good point - $169 in August means $129 Black Friday sales. ;-)
If Best Buy takes trade-ins they have my support. Bought a PSP on Sat. at Gamestop and Monday they would NOT take it back. (I didn't feel it was as advertised, ie. multiple accounts on my PS3 wouldn't transfer.) Had receipt, box and everything looking unopened. Never crossed my mind I coudl't return it, we're a return society, hence all the big RETURNS signs and Customer Service desks in dept. stores.
I'm now planning on iPodTouch 5 (or 4 if price drops) and yes those IOS "games" aren't meant for people with 10 game backlogs of 100 hr. epics. They're for people to play on their coffee break at work for 10 minutes and then toss away. $1 or $2 game to go with their $4 cup of Starbucks. Different crowd, different definition of "game". IOS - nose picking, console - masturbation.

[quote name='guardian_owl']I wouldn't worry too much, I have a feeling this 2 week "loophole" was kinda by design. Folks who don't follow game news will see the system at the time of price drop and then buy it if they want it.

Folks who do follow game news know the price drop will be permanent and thus have no incentive to rush out and purchase it until a game(s) they want releases. However, put a 2 week clock on the deal by including 20 free games that doesn't cost them anything out of pocket and it spurs hardcore gamers to make purchases now in one big chunk instead of them being spread out over the next 3+ months.[/QUOTE]

This is giving them too much credit....They had to announce something as a part of their quarterly results as a part of their forward looking financial projections given the size of this price cut. The two weeks allows retailers to get ready and have stock (which some like amazon simply pulling inventory to avoid the consumer ill will of buying something for $250 and then having it drop to $170 two weeks later....yes, people can get price matches at SOME retailers but consumers will still be pissed about having make two trips and this assumes they notice within proper time period.), so all retailer will be ready for the higher demand and nintendo will likely have TV advertising in place by that time as well. If they really wanted the hardcore audience, they might have pony up something more than stuff like ice climber, which they already put it out on the GBA ereader a decade ago. Also the vagueness of the offer (only some of the games are listed) as well as the length of time involved before you get them do not lend themselves to 'carrot' type marketing approaches to promote accelerated purchases....these are clearly more, ummm, we're sorry about this whole price drop business...but here are some stuff which will hopefully make you less resentful'. If they just wanted to juice sales, they could easily say the offer is valid for only those who buy a 3DS between 7/1 and 8/12....rewarding folks who bought on day one doesn't move any additional units in the short term.

Besides, their fiscal quarter is July-Sept, so if happens today or sept, it makes no real difference in a reporting standpoint....This is happening in the first third/first half of the quarter, not the last two weeks. The oddness of this announcement is due to the timing of their fiscal quarters and their apparent need to act quickly on the 3DS front as well as communicating to investors that they are trying to improve the situation from last quarters terrible results.

All of this is target at investors, and isn't a part of some giant marketing scheme by Nintendo. If it was a scheme, it would be alot better run than this with retailers not caught in the middle with a two week window where hardware will likely not move at all and and the little that does move will likely result price matches/returns hassle/general ill will by consumers towards the retailer.

Did the DS really get any significant discounts for Black Friday over the years? I honestly don't recall anything significant so I'd be surprised if we see the 3DS going for $130 or whatever

[quote name='Digital Idiot']They have. Multiple times. They've all sucked. The Zune HD and now Winmo 7 is the closest they've come to a really good interface, but I'd still rather play games on iOS or even an Android. The Winmo 7 demo units we have at the office gather dust.

MS has just barely learned from their past mistakes in the handheld market, what makes anyone think that they could sell a dedicated gaming handheld?? Even Sony couldn't do it, and now Nintendo is failing as well. If the king of portable gaming can't sell a 3DS, a Winmo 7 gameboy will fail even harder.[/QUOTE]

So I guess selling ~70 Millions systems and following up with a second generation handheld constitutes not being able to sell a dedicated gaming handheld? At least we know your CAG name is very appropriate.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Did the DS really get any significant discounts for Black Friday over the years? I honestly don't recall anything significant so I'd be surprised if we see the 3DS going for $130 or whatever[/QUOTE]

I remember free games with a ds but not a discount. A free zelda oot with a 3ds would make me consider getting one on black friday

I locked in the Amazon trade in price for my XL and Lite before the price plunges to nothing. I'll get $150 for the pair, but I need to ponder this for a few more days.

[quote name='elsnerma']Just wanted to clarify something here: someone earlier in the thread said that if you opened the 3DS, you would be unable to return it to Best Buy. This isn't true. Unlike video game software, opened consoles can be returned for any reason within 30 days. It states this clearly on both Best Buy's site and on the back of the receipt.
No restocking fees, no "store credit only"... a full refund.

So anyone that wants to price match and get the 20 free games: buy now and don't worry...even if they try to deny you a price match when the 12th comes around, you'll be out nothing since you can just return the opened system to them.[/QUOTE]

I would like to clarify something for everyone who is now purchasing at Best Buy. This is not a return. I repeat, this is not a return. You do not need to bring in your box and system. Just simply bring in your receipt to customer service and tell them that the price has dropped. They will make the adjustment as long as it is within 30 days of purchase. That's it, nothing more to do and it's within their policy.

[quote name='spidey35']I would like to clarify something for everyone who is now purchasing at Best Buy. This is not a return. I repeat, this is not a return. You do not need to bring in your box and system. Just simply bring in your receipt to customer service and tell them that the price has dropped. They will make the adjustment as long as it is within 30 days of purchase. That's it, nothing more to do and it's within their policy.[/QUOTE]

I can vouch for this as well. When I purchased my Nikon D5100, within 5 days it dropped $50. I brought in my receipt, and they just credited me the difference. This was about two months ago.

[quote name='jacknicklson']I think a Gold Zelda 3DS is about the only reason I would spend $170 for this. If not, $130 all the way[/QUOTE]
Same here, I would definitely buy a 3ds if it was bundled with a good game and the handheld was in another limited edition color.

[quote name='spidey35']I would like to clarify something for everyone who is now purchasing at Best Buy. This is not a return. I repeat, this is not a return. You do not need to bring in your box and system. Just simply bring in your receipt to customer service and tell them that the price has dropped. They will make the adjustment as long as it is within 30 days of purchase. That's it, nothing more to do and it's within their policy.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's what I plan on doing. I'm just reitterating that even if Best Buy comes up with some clever way of trying to screw people out of a price adjustment, returning it for a full refund is still an option even if its open.

I personally have never had a problem with a price adjustment at Best Buy, and I don't expect one with this purchase either. For some reason here and at other forums people are adamant that this won't work despite the fact that Best Buy's policies on price adjustments are pretty clear.

[quote name='elsnerma']Yep, that's what I plan on doing. I'm just reitterating that even if Best Buy comes up with some clever way of trying to screw people out of a price adjustment, returning it for a full refund is still an option even if its open.

I personally have never had a problem with a price adjustment at Best Buy, and I don't expect one with this purchase either. For some reason here and at other forums people are adamant that this won't work despite the fact that Best Buy's policies on price adjustments are pretty clear.[/QUOTE]

I'm finding that people simply love to rain on your parade if they have the chance. You get a deal they don't or won't due to their morals and it's then thrown on us for doing it. There's no basis for saying it won't work - has in the past, will in the future. Unless they change policies, etc.

Just for some laughs, I was looking over the 3DS pre-order thread. http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284755
This is just from the first few pages then 2 random ones in the middle. Enjoy

[quote name='confoosious']all the people who are waiting for quick price drops are gonna be waiting a long time[/QUOTE]

Btw its probably better to preorder, theyre estimating its going to sell out til 2012 just like the wii.[/QUOTE]
There will be no "eBay hoarders" for this console, and it will be easy to find on release day. It's an expensive, unproven handheld, released during an off peak season, same as the original DS, and the original DS was NEVER hard to find at any point, it was always readily available.
[quote name='gkrykewy']Ah hahaha. Famous last words. Watch how long the Amazon preorders last.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='elsnerma']I figure I'll try and snag a system today or tomorrow at Best Buy. As of right now, the only way they can justify denying a price match on the 12th is if corporate comes out with some special rules JUST for this price drop.

With that being the case, I'm going to keep mine sealed until the last possible day just in case BB tries to pull such shenanigans and announce that they won't honor price adjustments for some reason.

Even if they did try to pull that later though, I think anyone buying one now would still be safe. It's stated pretty clearly in their policies, and as such I doubt they'll try denying it when the 12th comes around.[/QUOTE]

I did the exact same thing - planning to keep mine sealed until the 11th.
Where did you find the 30 day pricematch + 10% of the difference stated in their policies? I asked three different BB employees about it, and they all confirmed it, but couldn't find it written anywhere.

[quote name='Kadin']I'm finding that people simply love to rain on your parade if they have the chance. You get a deal they don't or won't due to their morals and it's then thrown on us for doing it. There's no basis for saying it won't work - has in the past, will in the future. Unless they change policies, etc.[/QUOTE]
I find it's just a case of incompetence. I'm amazed how many people genuinely believe price guarantee policies would not apply.

After digesting this for a day, being a person who bought two on release day, I can only think "c'est la vie." Especially in the world of technology. I did expect there to be more games out by now, but I don't know how realistic I was being. As long as they get a mario game for myself and animal crossing for my girl eventually, we'll both be happy. The free games are just icing on the cake.

I'm not gonna lie, I am a bit jealous of the people who will be getting it for $170 plus the free games, but that's what I get for being impatient and wanting to have the next cool toy right away. I think a contributing factor was the fact that I had withstood buying a DSi and/or a DSi XL, and was still rolling with my DS Lite. I felt it was time for an upgrade.

[quote name='Xenogears']Just for some laughs, I was looking over the 3DS pre-order thread. http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284755
[/QUOTE]

LOL Nice finds. There's a reason why nobody takes that ConPOOscious dude seriously. He's gotta be the biggest troll on this site, and has been on my ignore list for a while (at the suggestion of many other CAGs) :).

A way for BB to prevent major loss is pull all the stock to the backroom so no one can buy it; thus no price matching, but nothing is stopping the people who already purchased the system. I suspend bb might pull this so I pick up my system yesterday instead of next week.

I am still debating should I do with the system, I have a choice of keeping it with the pm and free game or returning it within the 30 days window. To be honest, it IS an impluse buy for me; I really want a 3D zelda but my original plan is to wait for Vita. But if the plan of getting it for 169.99 WITH the 20 free game work, it is a pretty hot deal even if I only want 50% of the 20 game.... Another reason why I got this is my original ds lite left trigger is becoming a bit unresponsiveness so it doesn't work well for games.

[quote name='Multicron']I did the exact same thing - planning to keep mine sealed until the 11th.
Where did you find the 30 day pricematch + 10% of the difference stated in their policies? I asked three different BB employees about it, and they all confirmed it, but couldn't find it written anywhere.[/QUOTE]

I don't think they do the 10% thing anymore...plus, I think that only applied when other stores had the item for cheaper than Best Buy which wouldn't apply here since it's going to be a universal drop for every retailer.

As for the Price Match Policy itself:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Help-To...204400050011.c?id=pcmcat204400050011&CMP=ocss

"Best Buy will match the price if you find a lower price on an identical available product at a local retail competitor's store, a local Best Buy Retail Store or BestBuy.com. Simply let us know when you are making your purchase or during the return and exchange period."

Basically it states that if Best Buy lowers the product's price during the 30-day return period, they will match the new lower price.

[quote name='Xenogears']Just for some laughs, I was looking over the 3DS pre-order thread. http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284755

There will be no "eBay hoarders" for this console, and it will be easy to find on release day. It's an expensive, unproven handheld, released during an off peak season, same as the original DS, and the original DS was NEVER hard to find at any point, it was always readily available.

_________________________________________________[/QUOTE]

haha, that's great

my contributions to that thread:

[quote name='ssjmichael']It blows my mind that Nintendo is still going to rely on Friends codes for the 3DS (albeit improved over the DS mess). Talk about handicapping the multiplayer aspect from the starting gates, my god. For a company that so many claim to be cutting edge, they seem so damn behind the times a lot.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ssjmichael']The battery life for 3D is shit. Many here are going to regret getting it in a year when Nintendo comes out with a new model that fixes this issue and has improved hardware, likely at a lower price[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Xenogears']Yeah, I assumed the open and its exchange for the same item only policy applied to video game software and systems. I guess not. Still, even if it will work with only a bit of hassle, after a day considering this "deal" my overall impression is:

ITS A TRAP!!!

Nintendo is trying to trick us into buying a system we don't really want, because it comes with 20 old games we already have and the spiffy ambassador name. Its tempting, but my impression is that this is a fake price drop and fake value. The 3DS is now MSRP, nothing more.

Here is the checklist for if you should bite on the deal.
1. Do you want to pay $170 for a 3DS, then $30 to $40 for each game
2. Do you want these 20 old games that you already have on 4+ systems

This is CAG. If $170 is a good price point, and MSRP is ok with you, then go ahead. In my case I've decided to wait more though. The 3DS is now priced to what it should have been all along, and better bundles, upgrades, games, and prices will still come soon enough. Especially once the Vita comes out (for both systems) and then you can decide which you want.

Exactly. Its like they are trying to create "launch craze" a 2nd time. Trick the hardcore holdouts into thinking they are gaming the system by getting both deals to stack, when really that is exactly what they planned and set the promotion up to encourage.[/QUOTE]

This is my opinion exactly, they always intended to sell it at $170 as MSRP but they decided to overprice it to get a bit of extra cash from those people who will buy the newest thing no matter what. That and by intentionally inflating the price they are making the $170 look like a good value. The system still has few good games coming out or even announced for it. If you are happy with a couple mario games and/or need a new DS system, then this is what you should be buying.

[quote name='SaraAB']This is my opinion exactly, they always intended to sell it at $170 as MSRP but they decided to overprice it to get a bit of extra cash from those people who will buy the newest thing no matter what. That and by intentionally inflating the price they are making the $170 look like a good value. The system still has few good games coming out or even announced for it. If you are happy with a couple mario games and/or need a new DS system, then this is what you should be buying.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but you're wrong. They never intended for it to be at this price less than 5 months later. They'll actually be selling them at a loss at that price, something Nintendo rarely if ever does. The repercussions have been huge for Nintendo. Their stocks are plummeting right now, Iwata was forced to cut his salary in half, with others getting smaller cuts, and their profit outlooks look terrible. If you honestly believe they planned any of this you have no clue.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Did the DS really get any significant discounts for Black Friday over the years? I honestly don't recall anything significant so I'd be surprised if we see the 3DS going for $130 or whatever[/QUOTE]

Nope. The dude is reaching super hard...

Max you would get a free game and normally it isn't that great of one to begin with. My guess you see a Pilotwings bundle with a free accessory garbage pack (non-nintendo brand) deal at BF time period. Zelda is too hot of a title for them to pack it in. How else would they expect you to add on purchases?

[quote name='elsnerma']Yep, that's what I plan on doing. I'm just reitterating that even if Best Buy comes up with some clever way of trying to screw people out of a price adjustment, returning it for a full refund is still an option even if its open.

I personally have never had a problem with a price adjustment at Best Buy, and I don't expect one with this purchase either. For some reason here and at other forums people are adamant that this won't work despite the fact that Best Buy's policies on price adjustments are pretty clear.[/QUOTE]

While I didn't mention the 3ds, I specifically asked at Best Buy about their price adjustment policy. According to the employee, it's a pretty standard 30 day thing. He said I could just bring in my receipt after the price drops and get the difference back in the same way that I paid (cash, credit, etc.) Sounds like a go to me.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Sorry but you're wrong. They never intended for it to be at this price less than 5 months later. They'll actually be selling them at a loss at that price, something Nintendo rarely if ever does. The repercussions have been huge for Nintendo. Their stocks are plummeting right now, Iwata was forced to cut his salary in half, with others getting smaller cuts, and their profit outlooks look terrible. If you honestly believe they planned any of this you have no clue.[/QUOTE]

This. Nintendo wouldn't be jumping through all these hoops (price cuts to execs to please shareholders) if they had planned this all along. What company plans to lose money? Well actually several companies do, but the difference is that they know they have software to regain those losses. Nintendo does not currently have enough quality 3DS software on the market to recoup their losses for each console, this was definitely not planned.

One of the only ways I've seen mentioned that seems plausible for them stopping a price adjustment is if they resticker every 3DS barcode, essentially making them a different item, while leaving the old 3DS UPC/Item number to still ring up at $249.99 after the 12th.

Still, enough complaining about that would still likely net you a price adjustment if your pursued it enough.

Well I might get the 3ds sooner then I thought. I just retired my launch psp and I need a new portable console. Now I just have to wait to see how the craigslist market shapes up after the price drop.

I just got back from Best Buy where the guy, without even asking, suggested buying it now and then getting it adjusted after the 12th.

Is buying today from TRU a bad idea? Not sure of their price matching policy, but they have the $30 gift card with purchase today and tomorrow with that coupon that's in the TRU thread. I'm assuming no one's is less than 14 days...

[quote name='strait edge follower']Yea, you can get the gift card and use it on a 3ds game and then get the price ajustment[/QUOTE]

I like this TRU idea. WINNER, WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER

Anyone else visit the gamefaqs 3DS forum where a shit storm of hate is going on for people trying to get this deal? It is very lol worthy seeing babies label frugal people as sinister, despicable, slimy, etc.

If you haven't please check out the topic with almost 300 posts.

Anyway, god bless you CAGer's who can get in on the deal of the year possibly.

I believe their price adjustment is 14 days but they might deduct the $30 from your refund. I cant find anything online so I would call/go ask before making the plunge. Still works out to be as solid as any other option + the potential to be better

I wanna say toys r us will ring it as 219 for 3ds and 30 for gift card so still totaling 249, so if u do get and adjust it would be the difference between the 219 and 169 price.

Don't quote me but isn't that how most gift card deals ring up so if something is returned they don't lose the value of the gift card

[quote name='mythus']i want my money back. although i have no chance, i told amazon to research this issue for early adopters. im raging.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

We should be upset but we can't do anything to get the money back. Nintendo failed and us early adopters failed right along with them.

bread's done
Back