3DS MSRP Drop to $169.99 On 08/12/11, already at Target, WM, Amazon

Celsius

CAGiversary!
Pre-order at the lower price at Amazon
iconwalmart_r3.gif
Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

Quick Details:

Connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11 to qualify for the below free games:

NES Virtual Console games:
Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong JR.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climbers
The Legend of Zelda
+ 5 more

Gameboy Advance Virtual Console games (exclusive to this program)
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart Advance
Metroid Fusion
Wario ware
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
+ 3 more

US Press Release
REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo of America today announced plans to drop the suggested retail price of its portable Nintendo 3DS™system to $169.99 in the United States, as new games based on some of the world’s most beloved video game franchises head to the system. The new price, down from the suggested launch price of $249.99 and effective Aug. 12, makes an outstanding value even better and sets up a strong holiday season for the system.

“For anyone who was on the fence about buying a Nintendo 3DS, this is a huge motivation to buy now,” said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. “We are giving shoppers every incentive to pick up a Nintendo 3DS, from an amazing new price to a rapid-fire succession of great games.”

Nintendo 3DS has the strongest software lineup of any video game system this holiday season and the new price now opens up the glasses-free 3D experience to many more consumers. Building on the popularity of The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ 3D, which launched June 19, the upcoming game calendar is a Who’s Who of iconic video game franchises. Star Fox 64™ 3D arrives on Sept. 9, followed by Super Mario™ 3D Land in November, Mario Kart™ 7 in December and Kid Icarus™: Uprising during the holiday season. In addition to great games, Nintendo 3DS has a host of attractive features* that make it the must-have video game system this season:

The new Nintendo Video™ service automatically delivers short 3D videos from the worlds of music, comedy, animation and Hollywood.A free application allows Netflix members with unlimited streaming plans to instantly watch TV episodes and movies streaming from Netflix.

The Nintendo eShop is a digital store for Nintendo 3DS owners that provides access to a wide variety of downloadable content, such as original 3D software, classic games that have been re-mastered in 3D called 3D Classics, Game Boy™ and Game Boy Color “Virtual Console” games in their original 2D glory, and more than 350 Nintendo DSiWare™ games. Visitors can also view video game trailers, screen shots and product information for games, including those available at retail locations.

Since Nintendo 3DS launched in the United States on March 27, more than 830,000 people in the U.S. alone have purchased one to enjoy 3D visuals without the need for special glasses. These Nintendo 3DS owners represent some of Nintendo’s most loyal customers, and Nintendo is rewarding them for getting in on the action early with 20 free downloadable games from the Nintendo eShop.

These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11. These users will automatically be registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program. The program contains two elements:

Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost. By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi’s Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

More details about this program will be announced in the future.

Japan details
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110728_3e.pdf

For Japan, if you buy before august 12, 2011 -- the day of the price drop you get 10 free VC NES games and 10 free VC GB advance games. the VC gba games will only be made available for early adopters -- and never for those who buy on the price drop date.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/index.html

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/detail.html

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Kadin']Best Buy and other retailers simply guarantee their price for a set number of days. BB specifically is 30 days. If an item drops in price due to a permanent drop or a temporary sale, you can go in with your receipt and get the difference back. Some items are excluded but the 3DS isn't one of them. So the day of the 12th, you can go back in and get your $80+tax refunded.[/QUOTE]

I'm trying to find this policy on BB's website, but I can't track it down. I'm considering doing this, but I'd like to have it in writing from BB before I take the plunge. Anybody have a link?

[quote name='bthoma']I'm trying to find this policy on BB's website, but I can't track it down. I'm considering doing this, but I'd like to have it in writing from BB before I take the plunge. Anybody have a link?[/QUOTE]

call multiple best buys and report back. I'm waiting for other BB to open up around locally + when I got the time.

[quote name='djricekcn']I only talked to one person at Best Buy (passed by this morning), and here's what Brea, CA Best Buy told me - not exactly word for word

"Sorry, we don't honor the price protection with Video Game Consoles and Softwares because the price fluctuates too rapidly. We are aware of the 3DS price drop and will not match the price with this. If you want a lower price, please come back once we make it official"

or something of that nature. I'll try other Best Buys around me when I have the time, but it takes so long to get a hold of someone at a Best Buy over the phone.[/QUOTE]
Lol, 'too rapidly' is a red flag for bullshit. That's not a policy, it's an opinion. Unless they can pull something up and point to it in black & white, you were taken for a ride.

I'm surprised that this sale makes people excited. I played the 3DS and it gave me a headache. I'm also surprised that people are going to buy the system after all those 3rd party games got cancelled. This is a quick way for nintendo to increase it's 3DS user base so that they can get some of those third party devs back on board.

[quote name='Jackovasaurus']This price drop has me worried for handheld gaming. I just don't see a next generation wave of handheld consoles. It's sad, because I cannot stress enough how much I hate playing games on my iPhone. Also, I wonder what must be going through Sony's mind right now. How the hell can they compete with this new price?[/QUOTE]

The same way they did when original DS was $150 and the PSP was $250, although ultimately that didn't end up all that great for Sony.

[quote name='Jodou']Lol, 'too rapidly' is a red flag for bullshit. That's not a policy, it's an opinion. Unless they can pull something up and point to it in black & white, you were taken for a ride.[/QUOTE]

each store / region can also have their own policy as well as since somethings can be treated as "at participating stores only" kind of deal and/or not worth the hassel if that store / regional manager is saying no. you can complain all you want but you're just wasting your time - getting yourself stressed. not worth it for 80 dollars.

I think that I'm gonna stick with picking it up from Best Buy unless something happens. Buying used seems to risky to me (ebay). The best buy price match guarantee on their website does not mention excluding video game consoles or anything else that would make me think that this would not go through. And if all else fails, I can return it for the $250.

[quote name='xGunCrazyx']They will probably have a transfer program for any new 3DS model like the current DSi to 3DS transfer.[/QUOTE]

Was there any cost or hassle for the DSi transfer to the 3DS? I also was going to wait for the eventual redesign, but $170 and 20 games is pretty cool. But if it's gonna be a hassle or costly to transfer to the revamped 3DS...

I really don't see why everyone is so excited for these downloadable games.

I'm waiting for a Christmas bundle with a 3DS game included.

[quote name='m3talst0rm']I think that I'm gonna stick with picking it up from Best Buy unless something happens. Buying used seems to risky to me (ebay). The best buy price match guarantee on their website does not mention excluding video game consoles or anything else that would make me think that this would not go through. And if all else fails, I can return it for the $250.[/QUOTE]

But won't you by then have opened the 3DS packaging to get the free games? You have to log in prior to the price drop I thought. How would you be able to return a "used" system?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='darrenaero']Was there any cost or hassle for the DSi transfer to the 3DS? I also was going to wait for the eventual redesign, but $170 and 20 games is pretty cool. But if it's gonna be a hassle or costly to transfer to the revamped 3DS...[/QUOTE]

The transfer is a piece of cake provided you have them both there at the same time in fine working order. 3DS to 3DS is coming later at an unspecified time.

[quote name='djricekcn']each store / region can also have their own policy as well as since somethings can be treated as "at participating stores only" kind of deal and/or not worth the hassel if that store / regional manager is saying no. you can complain all you want but you're just wasting your time - getting yourself stressed. not worth it for 80 dollars.[/QUOTE]
It would need to be posted near the product or at the counter to qualify. Read what I said again.

And trolling companies to make them look like idiots is never a waste of time for me. ;)

[quote name='Xellos2099']Nothing wrong with returning an used item.[/QUOTE]
Really? I thought it would be similar to dvd's, cd's, games where you cannot return if opened.

[quote name='Jodou']It would need to be posted near the product or at the counter to qualify. Read what I said again.

And trolling companies to make them look like idiots is never a waste of time for me. ;)[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily, if the store is giving you a hard time you ain't getting anywhere. The best you can do it only complain to corporate and even at that, who knows if they'll process it. I'm not just point out Best Buy, but any store(s) based in USA. and for me personally, 80 dollars is not worth the effort to argue imo

[quote name='darrenaero']But won't you by then have opened the 3DS packaging to get the free games? You have to log in prior to the price drop I thought. How would you be able to return a "used" system?[/QUOTE]

I found this a few pages back:

[quote name='elsnerma']Just wanted to clarify something here: someone earlier in the thread said that if you opened the 3DS, you would be unable to return it to Best Buy. This isn't true. Unlike video game software, opened consoles can be returned for any reason within 30 days. It states this clearly on both Best Buy's site and on the back of the receipt.
No restocking fees, no "store credit only"... a full refund.

So anyone that wants to price match and get the 20 free games: buy now and don't worry...even if they try to deny you a price match when the 12th comes around, you'll be out nothing since you can just return the opened system to them.[/QUOTE]

Again, on Best Buy's website...nothing about opened consoles.

edit:

Also, does anyone think that this part of the price match guarantee might cause some problems?
What if the competitor does not have the item in stock or has limited quantities of the product?
Sometimes a retailer will advertise a product as having limited quantities in stock. If the item is out of stock or the competitor has advertised as limited quantities of an item, it is not eligible for price matching. Likewise, if Best Buy has a product that is advertised as being limited in quantity it will not be eligible for price matching.

I jumped onto craigslist the day this price cut was announced and found a console on there for $200. Eventually convinced him to throw in Ocarina of Time for another $5. Not a bad deal still a bit under MSRP if I consider in tax and I'm hoping I'll still be able to get the 20 free games.

[quote name='darrenaero']Really? I thought it would be similar to dvd's, cd's, games where you cannot return if opened.[/QUOTE]

Well, it is quite different... dvd can be burn, blu ray can be watched, cd can be burn, game system don't don't quite equal to those.

[quote name='Jackovasaurus']This price drop has me worried for handheld gaming. I just don't see a next generation wave of handheld consoles. It's sad, because I cannot stress enough how much I hate playing games on my iPhone. Also, I wonder what must be going through Sony's mind right now. How the hell can they compete with this new price?[/QUOTE]

IGN just wrote an article about this. According to them they aren't really in direct competition, since they aren't vying for the same customer base.

Check it out...should still be on the front page.

I find most iphone and android game stupidly hard control. Granted Angry Bird and plant vs zombie work but won't work too well with real game. I remember I can't stand Vay on iphone while I love jrpg classic... Speaking of craglist, I see on craglist with a listing for 3ds wityh Sf 4 3d for 150..... tempting again....

[quote name='Lemarfanz']IGN just wrote an article about this. According to them they aren't really in direct competition, since they aren't vying for the same customer base.

Check it out...should still be on the front page.[/QUOTE]

That's BS. So the Wii and DS sold only to core gamers? So why are there so much shovelware?

[quote name='elessar123']That's BS. So the Wii and DS sold only to core gamers? So why are there so much shovelware?[/QUOTE]

Kids. And ignorant parents / grandparents. DS is clearly not just for the core. Each of my kids has a DS and one will soon get a 3DS.

i went to best buy and talked to their CS they said there will be no issues at all price adjusting it in 2 weeks. ya i know this has been stated before but just thought state it

picked up a black 3ds

You do know that you don't always win a charge back right? You can get slapped in the face + also decline your credit history and/or get noted on it, making your credit look bad when you try to get loans / opening up an account that relates to credit.

I advise you not to do charge backs for the above reason due to a potential risk on your ownself. Visa / MasterCard / Amex / Discover (which also includes Diners, JCB, etc) regulation for Face to Face does not apply what that business locations web page states since Face to Face transactions and Online transactions are treated differently.

Chargeback cases can be reopened up to 24 months, but also can be extended by the CC industry if they see fit. Chargebacks can get very complicated....

Perhaps a silly question, but I'll try anyway:

I got a $50 gift card. I'm going to put it towards buying the 3DS. When I do the price adjustment, will they refund the cash part or the gift card with cash?

[quote name='Lemarfanz']IGN just wrote an article about this. According to them they aren't really in direct competition, since they aren't vying for the same customer base.

Check it out...should still be on the front page.[/QUOTE]

Remember the name of the article? It's not the one that says, "History Says the 3DS is Doomed", is it? :lol:

[quote name='imacgod']Perhaps a silly question, but I'll try anyway:

I got a $50 gift card. I'm going to put it towards buying the 3DS. When I do the price adjustment, will they refund the cash part or the gift card with cash?[/QUOTE]

I don't have a definitive answer but I know when I tried getting an adjustment when using a gift card they gave me the credit back in the form of a gift card. The amount of my adjustment was less than the gift card though I think. In your case the adjustment is higher than the GC provided so I don't think they can really give you an $80 GC. So I'm guessing you'll either get all cash ($80), or partial cash ($30) and partial GC ($50).

edit: Here's the official word on their refunding method

Refund Method

Your refund will generally be in the same form as the original payment. However, when the item was purchased with cash or with a debit card without a major credit card logo for more than $500, or with a check for more than $250 the refund will be in the form of a check mailed to you within 10 business days. If the item was purchased using debit and the debit card has a major credit card logo, refunds under $250 will be issued as cash; refunds over $250 will be credited back to the card.

[quote name='djricekcn']You do know that you don't always win a charge back right? You can get slapped in the face + also decline your credit history and/or get noted on it, making your credit look bad when you try to get loans / opening up an account that relates to credit.

I advise you not to do charge backs for the above reason due to a potential risk on your ownself. Visa / MasterCard / Amex / Discover (which also includes Diners, JCB, etc) regulation for Face to Face does not apply what that business locations web page states since Face to Face transactions and Online transactions are treated differently.

Chargeback cases can be reopened up to 24 months, but also can be extended by the CC industry if they see fit. Chargebacks can get very complicated....[/QUOTE]

The price adjustment is not treated as a chargeback, since I'm not disputing the transaction. I've done it once before with Best Buy when they lowered the price of a TV I bought on the 33rd day after. I got the funds put back on the card.

[quote name='dizee']i went to best buy and talked to their CS they said there will be no issues at all price adjusting it in 2 weeks. ya i know this has been stated before but just thought state it

picked up a black 3ds[/QUOTE]

I, too, went to BB and talked to CS before buying it. The girl said not a problem if it's within 30 days of purchase. I bought the aqua 3DS. :D

[quote name='ssjmichael']I don't have a definitive answer but I know when I tried getting an adjustment when using a gift card they gave me the credit back in the form of a gift card. The amount of my adjustment was less than the gift card though I think. In your case the adjustment is higher than the GC provided so I don't think they can really give you an $80 GC. So I'm guessing you'll either get all cash ($80), or partial cash ($30) and partial GC ($50).

edit: Here's the official word on their refunding method[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the Best Buy policy post but that didn't really help since it doesn't cover a mixed payment like mine :lol: Funny how they don't mention their own gift cards at all. And I couldn't find anything on their website either.

I was thinking of trading in a couple of games so that would bring me up to $100 in gift cards. I would prefer any adjustment to be returned as cash/back to my credit card. If I went to buy the 3DS on the 12th, I'd be spending a net of $70 of my money whereas if they give me back a gift card for my adjustment, I'd be spending a net of $150 of my own money and stuck with yet another gift card. Maybe I can reason with them with my thinking.

If anybody has more stories, do tell. I'm trying to Google this topic, but I'm not getting any hits.

[quote name='imacgod']Thanks for the Best Buy policy post but that didn't really help since it doesn't cover a mixed payment like mine :lol: Funny how they don't mention their own gift cards at all. And I couldn't find anything on their website either.

I was thinking of trading in a couple of games so that would bring me up to $100 in gift cards. I would prefer any adjustment to be returned as cash/back to my credit card. If I went to buy the 3DS on the 12th, I'd be spending a net of $70 of my money whereas if they give me back a gift card for my adjustment, I'd be spending a net of $150 of my own money and stuck with yet another gift card. Maybe I can reason with them with my thinking.

If anybody has more stories, do tell. I'm trying to Google this topic, but I'm not getting any hits.[/QUOTE]

I've used more than one giftcard before at Best Buy and I know specifically one time I went back and returned one item out of 3 that I'd purchased that day. I asked them to please credit me back via the debit card as I didn't want the giftcard returned. This decision should be up to the consumer because if you have to, you can simply return it all and then repurchase it again.

Obviously you can't do this in this specific scenario but there should be NO problem with refunding the giftcard last as that's the first thing most of us use during the purchasing transaction.

Hope that makes sense... ;)

Well, if I am you, I will just use cash or credit to buy the 3ds. After the adjustment, go knock yourself out buying the 3ds game with thwe gift card... we DO need game, right?

[quote name='Xellos2099']Well, if I am you, I will just use cash or credit to buy the 3ds. After the adjustment, go knock yourself out buying the 3ds game with thwe gift card... we DO need game, right?[/QUOTE]

To be honest, I got Zelda 3DS ready to go. :) There's definitely games I'm interested in, but none of them have made me feel like they are urgent purchases. That and I'm trying to spend as little cash as possible on this. Gotta get ready to buy my school books, you know ;)

[quote name='Kadin']I've used more than one giftcard before at Best Buy and I know specifically one time I went back and returned one item out of 3 that I'd purchased that day. I asked them to please credit me back via the debit card as I didn't want the giftcard returned. This decision should be up to the consumer because if you have to, you can simply return it all and then repurchase it again.

Obviously you can't do this in this specific scenario but there should be NO problem with refunding the giftcard last as that's the first thing most of us use during the purchasing transaction.

Hope that makes sense... ;)[/QUOTE]

Makes sense to you. Makes sense to me. Makes sense to probably most consumers. But does it make sense to Best Buy? :lol: I think I can talk them into it, if they somehow think they're supposed to pay me back in a gift card. And actually, I believe game consoles/handhelds are returnable in that same 30 day window oddly. Weird policy that's just asking to be abused but because of that policy your logic works just the same.

I'm off to buy my 3DS. Thanks for the inputs, everybody!

Nintendo just needs to get third parties onboard to sell some quality content and this system will be fine.

The biggest problem is games at $40 retail. Nintendo should reduce some licensing fees to encourage development and get the prices back down to $30 and allow budget $20 releases.

Iwata also stated that their focus is on digital releases so that should help remove some of the cost of those large 3DS carts.

If you think vita games are going to be less than $50, prepare to be surprised.

I went ahead and bought a new 3DS on ebay for $195 shipped. I figure making sure I get the free games for the extra $25 is worth it in my opinion.
(Plus I don't have to wait to play my recently purchased copy of OoT :p)

[quote name='xGunCrazyx']I went ahead and bought a new 3DS on ebay for $195 shipped. I figure making sure I get the free games for the extra $25 is worth it in my opinion.
(Plus I don't have to wait to play my recently purchased copy of OoT :p)[/QUOTE]

congrats on that.

Someone on eBay is selling new 3ds' for a buy it now price of $190 but in the item description it says (Available August 12!). Ugh, some people...

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on one today at BB. The games supervisor was pretty cool and agreed it is a good deal to buy it now so you can get the 20 games and get the difference refunded on/after the 12th. I got a preowned Ridge Racer and a copy of Dream trigger, a 20 dollar e-card and a clean and protect kit with 3 stylus' screen protectors and game cases. Already d/l the netflix app and I am happy as hell. Now, just need to get a copy of Zelda and wait for Starfox to get my barrel roll on.

[quote name='Scottly']congrats on that.

Someone on eBay is selling new 3ds' for a buy it now price of $190 but in the item description it says (Available August 12!). Ugh, some people...[/QUOTE]
:)

cheap bastards

Just picked up my 3DS as well. Cosmo Black. The box was dusty as heck. I guess the 3DS' really weren't moving. Stacks of them left too. The cashier said it was a great idea getting the 3DS now, get the free games, then come back for the price adjustment. He said he might have to use that as a sales pitch to move some handhelds.

Also, is there something wrong with the Cosmo Black model? Every time I see a 3DS in the public or get purchased, it's always the Aqua Blue model. Am I missing something?

[quote name='imacgod']Just picked up my 3DS as well. Cosmo Black. The box was dusty as heck. I guess the 3DS' really weren't moving. Stacks of them left too. The cashier said it was a great idea getting the 3DS now, get the free games, then come back for the price adjustment. He said he might have to use that as a sales pitch to move some handhelds.

Also, is there something wrong with the Cosmo Black model? Every time I see a 3DS in the public or get purchased, it's always the Aqua Blue model. Am I missing something?[/QUOTE]

never considered that. good idea.

[quote name='imacgod']Just picked up my 3DS as well. Cosmo Black. The box was dusty as heck. I guess the 3DS' really weren't moving. Stacks of them left too. The cashier said it was a great idea getting the 3DS now, get the free games, then come back for the price adjustment. He said he might have to use that as a sales pitch to move some handhelds.

Also, is there something wrong with the Cosmo Black model? Every time I see a 3DS in the public or get purchased, it's always the Aqua Blue model. Am I missing something?[/QUOTE]

Wobbly hinges in black model from what people are seeing.

http://kotaku.com/5824538/amazon-temporarily-pulls-cosmo-black-nintendo-3ds-from-sale-but-why

Anecdotal evidence, but I've had a Cosmo Black 3DS since launch, have had no problems with it whatsoever. Top screen has just about the same amount of 'looseness' as the DSi and DSiXL I have.

It's a nice looking system, and it makes it look way less like a 'toy' than the Aqua Blue. That was a huge factor for me. I had ended up with a blue DSi back when that launched, and I felt really self-conscious whipping that out in public. Learned my lesson there.

Just gave a search on that blue dsi and :whistle2:& that thing is ugly
i feel like..i feel like..
:puke:

well that is better

The Cobalt Blue color is just awesome

nintendo-ds-cobalt-blue.jpg

Would u guys choose buying it from best buy and pm or getting a 3ds from craglist for 150 with SFIV?
I factor in everything include gamer club if i get it from crag I save 30 dollar. The guy claim the system is mint and come with a receipt and unused nintendo code.

Go check the condition yourself first. If it comes iwth eveyrthing and is mint, def get the CL one since SFIV isn't great, but one o fthe better games that are out right now.

Only games I would get for 3DS right now is (japanese list)
Ridge Racer
SFIV
Zelda
Tales of the Abyss

[quote name='sasukekun']Wobbly hinges in black model from what people are seeing.

http://kotaku.com/5824538/amazon-temporarily-pulls-cosmo-black-nintendo-3ds-from-sale-but-why[/QUOTE]

I have the aqua blue one and the top screen is a bit wobbly. it's not as bad as my ds lite but it's still a bit strange. my brother has a newer red/black DS lite and the top screen barely moves at all when it's opened, and it feels more sturdy than my 3DS. oh well. it still works.

also did anyone buy their 3DS online from best buy? is the price match policy different?

bread's done
Back