3DS Resident evil - game doesnt let you delete saves.

[quote name='007']This is one of those times where I feel like I live in some kind of bizarro world, since I literally don't understand the outrage this has generated. Like, this has become an actual news item in the gaming community. I can't wrap my head around it.

Look, I get that there are implications here. I do. People worry that if Capcom does it this time that it'll mean they'll do it again, so let's all not buy Mercenaries because of it. The unfortunate bottom line there is, though, that the message Capcom will see is that people aren't interested in the game itself or 3DS games, not the save situation. If the game isn't great, that's fine, but I'm beginning to worry that this situation is going to negatively impact reviews beyond the scope of necessity.

As people pointed out, too, this isn't anything new. Sega did the exact same thing with Monkey Ball and no one flipped shit about it. It's what bugs me about this... no one cares until it negatively effects things they care about. Seriously, how many Monkey Ball reviews bothered to mention this? If they did, was it presented in the same light as this situation? People aren't villifying Sega... yet Capcom is getting roasted. Hell, people in this thread are even taking the extra step and placing blame on Nintendo. It's just baffling to me. You either care about the concept, or care about the fact that this is happening with a property/company you care about. Honest answer... how many of you would be flipping as much shit if this flap was about Sega and Monkey Ball?

I'm still, by the way, not totally convinced this was anything beyond a poor design choice by Capcom. The articles I read seem to conjure up these images of Capcom executives sitting in a dark room with a cauldron and cackling about how no one will be able to buy this game used. If this was a game like Revelations, that's seemingly reasonable. However, for a game like Mercenaries, it's not nearly as important to be able to 'start over'. Until this situation hits a linear, story-based game I don't think there's any reason to panic.

I'm not trying to attack anyone here, I'm really not. I just literally can't wrap my head around the mess that this has turned into.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% but to take it a step further it seems like many forget that Mercs is an arcade game. There is a LOT to unlock, but the important core items are quickly unlocked.

My personal theory is not so much that it happened, but who's doing it. Many people bitch/moan about Capcom selling content on the disc (cause they're the only one to do that...), or making people pay for costumes (They're better than anything Blazblue/KoF added). Capcom gets complained left and right about the street fighter IV series (Normal, Super, Super 3d, Arcade), but I dont hear people complaining about Blazblue (CT, CS, CS 2, CS 2 +) as much. The real irony in that was Capcoms SSFIV was a better port than the shit called BBCS 2 (3DS).

[quote name='dallow']Apparently Gamestop won't take trade ins.
http://videogamewriters.com/gamesto...ns-for-resident-evil-the-mercenaries-3d-14903

And Gamefly won't be carrying the title as well.

I hope the bad publicity means Capcom won't do this again.[/QUOTE]

Why does all the blame go to capcom? Nintendo A-ok'd this policy themselves by certifying the game. They knew what was going to happen and allowed it, its nintendos fault for not stopping this from happening, not capcom. Capcom is just one of the shitty pubs who are using tools they are allowed to use from nintendo (and sony).

Several points: yes it's an arcade-type game, but who is going to want it when everything (level progression, weapons, skills trees) are completed. That's part of the fun. That hurts it's resale value. What happens if you play it but don't like it? Can't take it to gamestop, and who knows if goozex will.

Laying blame at nintendo's feet is just silly. Capcom made the game. End of story.

Now personally I didn't know about super monkey ball and it's situation. That stinks as well, and should have been made more public.

I'd rather not let Nintendo or any of the big three put restrictions on how people make their games.

Hopefully Capcom learns its lesson.

http://videogamewriters.com/gamesto...ns-for-resident-evil-the-mercenaries-3d-14903

I think more people will do this now, since they all see used game as a problem. Not having used copy available is a plus to them.

Also this seems to be more about GS making a statement, as they took games without the ability to erase save in the past

[quote name='62t']I think more people will do this now, since they all see used game as a problem. Not having used copy available is a plus to them.

Also this seems to be more about GS making a statement, as they took games without the ability to erase save in the past[/QUOTE]

You should say as early as last week... since Super Monkey Ball 3ds has this.

The game's already taking a beating on Amazon user reviews, probably not much longer until the reviews show up elsewhere.

I'm surprised GS even carried this. I'd think that they would make a stand and not carry something that can't be re-sold.

[quote name='Vinny']The game's already taking a beating on Amazon user reviews, probably not much longer until the reviews show up elsewhere.

I'm surprised GS even carried this. I'd think that they would make a stand and not carry something that can't be re-sold.[/QUOTE]

Probably didn't know in time to cancel their order.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Why does all the blame go to capcom? Nintendo A-ok'd this policy themselves by certifying the game. They knew what was going to happen and allowed it, its nintendos fault for not stopping this from happening, not capcom. Capcom is just one of the shitty pubs who are using tools they are allowed to use from nintendo (and sony).[/QUOTE]

Seriously, I don't understand how anyone can look at it like this. Nintendo lets the developers do what they want to their games. If the developers want to implement something like this, so be it. Why should Nintendo, or Sony for that, not allow the developers complete control of their games? Yes Bionic Commando was pretty annoying, I won't buy it. It's as simple as that.

[quote name='Vinny']The game's already taking a beating on Amazon user reviews, probably not much longer until the reviews show up elsewhere.

I'm surprised GS even carried this. I'd think that they would make a stand and not carry something that can't be re-sold.[/QUOTE]

It's pretty sad. Now some guys three kids are going to miss out on this game.

Title says it all. I have 3 kids, I'm not going to buy one copy for each of them. Ridiculous.

[quote name='admiralvic']You should say as early as last week... since Super Monkey Ball 3ds has this.[/QUOTE]

Never knew this.
That's pretty shitty too. I can see how no one noticed though as it's not a high profile game at all.

[quote name='confoosious']That's exactly my point. If you love your android tab and phone so much, cool. Everyone can game wherever they want. I got no problems with the android gaming scene.

My question is: why the hell are you in a nintendo 3ds specific game thread then, besides being a douchebag and making a mockery of the English language.[/QUOTE]

Hey man, ease up on the guy. He was pointing out things he saw relevance in, and then you started in with the name calling. I started the post, and this was not meant for people to attack each other.

Your right. Everyone can game where they want. However, this totally affects my choice to support capcom. And I would of bought it. If this is going to be capcom's new standard I will pass on the company completely.

[quote name='jza1218']Several points: yes it's an arcade-type game, but who is going to want it when everything (level progression, weapons, skills trees) are completed.[/QUOTE]

I will. I hate having to unlock everything, and would love to have it already unlocked when I get it. I'm hoping to pick up a used copy in a month with most everything or everything unlocked.

Also, to point out - that this only became relevant to me, as I was waiting to buy a 3ds when this game came out. I would NEVER of waited in line, pre-ordered, or made a trip to purchase Monkey Ball. Infact, I would never buy that game, and would of not picked it up to even see the graphics, or read the back of the game case.

When a game that has had a huge cult following (making movies, toys, several games and spinoffs) ect. comes out, THEN its relevant. Super Monkey Ball? Never gave it a second thought, so why would it come up then? It only matters, when it matters. Pretty simple. I dont think going into a whole backstory of all these other games that MAY of had something similar, or the same is relevant. This on the other hand, WAS relevant - because this would of been the reason SEVERAL of us purchased a 3DS.

Again, it only applies to you, if it applies to you. Pretty simple concept. As the consumer - I ALWAYS get the final say if I would buy something or not, then I can explain why, or why I didnt make the purchase. If the company gets enough backlash for a poor choice, they wont make the same mistake again (they may make another, but usually not the same exact mistake).

I can tell you, this knocks the game out of being purchased by me because of this shady move. If enough people complain - we CAN change things.

[quote name='exceed19']This on the other hand, WAS relevant - because this would of been the reason SEVERAL of us purchased a 3DS.[/QUOTE]

I'm totally with you 100% as far as this being a dealbreaker for you. It's your money, your call, etc.

But really? This game is THE REASON you were going to buy a 3DS? I just find that surprising. Nearly everything you said about Monkey Ball applies to me for this game.

I'm curious to see how Capcom reacts to the Gamestop and Gamefly embargoes.

[quote name='exceed19']Also, to point out - that this only became relevant to me, as I was waiting to buy a 3ds when this game came out. I would NEVER of waited in line, pre-ordered, or made a trip to purchase Monkey Ball. Infact, I would never buy that game, and would of not picked it up to even see the graphics, or read the back of the game case.

When a game that has had a huge cult following (making movies, toys, several games and spinoffs) ect. comes out, THEN its relevant. Super Monkey Ball? Never gave it a second thought, so why would it come up then? It only matters, when it matters. Pretty simple. I dont think going into a whole backstory of all these other games that MAY of had something similar, or the same is relevant. This on the other hand, WAS relevant - because this would of been the reason SEVERAL of us purchased a 3DS.

Again, it only applies to you, if it applies to you. Pretty simple concept. As the consumer - I ALWAYS get the final say if I would buy something or not, then I can explain why, or why I didnt make the purchase. If the company gets enough backlash for a poor choice, they wont make the same mistake again (they may make another, but usually not the same exact mistake).

I can tell you, this knocks the game out of being purchased by me because of this shady move. If enough people complain - we CAN change things.[/QUOTE]
Isn't that a self serving ass backwards logic? It's ok to fuck Monkey Ball fans (which appears to have a strong following), but its not ok to fuck Resident Evil fans because your game "matters more".

All this complaining accomplishes is to fuck over the consumers that purchase Resident Evil. You can sell gamestop Monkey ball, you can buy Zoo Keeper used. These two games dont let you delete saves.

Even playing it the first 3 stages (10+ levels) are purely tutorial. There is no guideline to unlock stuff; infact you can unlock items if you score a D (maybe lower) and unlocking everything but every skill/medal/costume and wesker... can be done in 2 - 3 hours.

If Monkey or Zoo Keeper had as big a fanbase as Resident Evil you better believe something would have been said.
They don't and thus went unnoticed.

It's shitty for any game to do this, and I'm glad Capcom tried to do this on a big name title as its brought attention to the issue. Hopefully other publishers notice.

I know this is really off topic but I would like to mention that Capcom is also the company that makes the Smurf's Village game on the iPhone and iPod. I am gonna make it really short and just say that they charge about $99 for some in game virtual items in this game so I am not surprised that they pull crap like this for the 3DS.

This article explains it a lot better than I can:

http://wireless.ign.com/articles/113/1135375p1.html

I don't think Monkey ball was a big enough game to make anyone notice, or perhaps none of the reviewers got far enough into the game or tried to hand the game down to another player after playing. Monkey ball is like $15.99 at TRU now so that is a lot cheaper than the $40 that RE costs. I wonder how long it will take RE to hit the bargin bins?

I bet GS will stop taking trades of Monkey ball after this fiasco. Hopefully GS will choose not to sell any game that has locked saves, since they cannot sell it used it would not be in their best interest to sell the game since GS makes the most profit off used games. Customers may be angry that they can't trade it in after they play it.

[quote name='007']This is one of those times where I feel like I live in some kind of bizarro world, since I literally don't understand the outrage this has generated. Like, this has become an actual news item in the gaming community. I can't wrap my head around it.

Look, I get that there are implications here. I do. People worry that if Capcom does it this time that it'll mean they'll do it again, so let's all not buy Mercenaries because of it. The unfortunate bottom line there is, though, that the message Capcom will see is that people aren't interested in the game itself or 3DS games, not the save situation. If the game isn't great, that's fine, but I'm beginning to worry that this situation is going to negatively impact reviews beyond the scope of necessity.

As people pointed out, too, this isn't anything new. Sega did the exact same thing with Monkey Ball and no one flipped shit about it. It's what bugs me about this... no one cares until it negatively effects things they care about. Seriously, how many Monkey Ball reviews bothered to mention this? If they did, was it presented in the same light as this situation? People aren't villifying Sega... yet Capcom is getting roasted. Hell, people in this thread are even taking the extra step and placing blame on Nintendo. It's just baffling to me. You either care about the concept, or care about the fact that this is happening with a property/company you care about. Honest answer... how many of you would be flipping as much shit if this flap was about Sega and Monkey Ball?

I'm still, by the way, not totally convinced this was anything beyond a poor design choice by Capcom. The articles I read seem to conjure up these images of Capcom executives sitting in a dark room with a cauldron and cackling about how no one will be able to buy this game used. If this was a game like Revelations, that's seemingly reasonable. However, for a game like Mercenaries, it's not nearly as important to be able to 'start over'. Until this situation hits a linear, story-based game I don't think there's any reason to panic.

I'm not trying to attack anyone here, I'm really not. I just literally can't wrap my head around the mess that this has turned into.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the laugh, consider yourself sigged! lol

Totally agree with you, by the way.

[quote name='SaraAB']I know this is really off topic but I would like to mention that Capcom is also the company that makes the Smurf's Village game on the iPhone and iPod. I am gonna make it really short and just say that they charge about $99 for some in game virtual items in this game so I am not surprised that they pull crap like this for the 3DS.

This article explains it a lot better than I can:

http://wireless.ign.com/articles/113/1135375p1.html

I don't think Monkey ball was a big enough game to make anyone notice, or perhaps none of the reviewers got far enough into the game or tried to hand the game down to another player after playing. Monkey ball is like $15.99 at TRU now so that is a lot cheaper than the $40 that RE costs. I wonder how long it will take RE to hit the bargin bins?

I bet GS will stop taking trades of Monkey ball after this fiasco. Hopefully GS will choose not to sell any game that has locked saves, since they cannot sell it used it would not be in their best interest to sell the game since GS makes the most profit off used games. Customers may be angry that they can't trade it in after they play it.[/QUOTE]

There's a simple solution to that Smurf game and the article you linked. You don't want your kids racking up a high bill, prevent them from playing the game. Irresponsible parenting at its best, always blame the other guy.

Guess what 007, all the average reviews currently out for the game don't mention the save issue at all so its not affecting it that way.
The negative publicity from Gamestop and Gamefly though will make Capcom take notice and they'll know it was because do this specific situation.

As for potential lost sales, that's all on Capcom, but I don't think it'll influence the majority of the public as they'll never know.

[quote name='dallow']Never knew this.
That's pretty shitty too. I can see how no one noticed though as it's not a high profile game at all.[/QUOTE]

That's likely the reason... I mean, RE is one of the most popular franchises ever and Super Monkey Ball isn't all that popular.

Oh, and I love Capcom's PR statement that this wasn't done to deter used game sales but to increase replay value and encourage users trying to get higher scores.:roll:

Can you tell when the game is saving? When games do tell you that, they normally also say do not power down your system. I wonder what would happen if you just ejected the cartridge or turned the power off while it was saving (if you could tell when that was).

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Can you tell when the game is saving? When games do tell you that, they normally also say do not power down your system. I wonder what would happen if you just ejected the cartridge or turned the power off while it was saving (if you could tell when that was).[/QUOTE]

It does tell you.
You can disable autosaving (causing the game to ask you to time it out).
People however claim that the game has a backup save; so you cant corrupt it but I doubt that.

[quote name='SteveGo']There's a simple solution to that Smurf game and the article you linked. You don't want your kids racking up a high bill, prevent them from playing the game. Irresponsible parenting at its best, always blame the other guy.[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree that parents need to take the lead, but there is no doubt in my mind that they did this purely to maximize their own profits by taking advantage of kids, there really was no other reason to set it up like that.

[quote name='SteveGo']There's a simple solution to that Smurf game and the article you linked. You don't want your kids racking up a high bill, prevent them from playing the game. Irresponsible parenting at its best, always blame the other guy.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with you however if you are a parent it is impossible to watch every single move that your kid makes especially when it just looks like they are playing a kids game that is perfectly suitable for their age group. But since its a game obviously targeted at kids it should have been made in a more responsible way. There is absolutely no reason why any game should have a $99 virtual item even available for purchase. This isn't the first time apple has taken heat for allowing kids games to have IAP's however this is by far the most outlandish example with $99 as a price for virtual items.

[quote name='dallow']Guess what 007, all the average reviews currently out for the game don't mention the save issue at all so its not affecting it that way.
The negative publicity from Gamestop and Gamefly though will make Capcom take notice and they'll know it was because do this specific situation.

As for potential lost sales, that's all on Capcom, but I don't think it'll influence the majority of the public as they'll never know.[/QUOTE]

are you crazy?! this will tarnish the company and lose peoples trust. sure capcom may get the sales for the people for this game right now. but when people take notice of it, they will remember it the next time. when that next time comes, it'll be harder to sell. look at seagate when they started selling that faulty drive. seagate said it was fine and now it's a lot harder for people to buy hard drives from seagate. capcom shot themselves in the foot.

As long as capcom makes good games, nobody will really give a shit about this stuff.

It they keep making Dark Void, then they have a problem. This is bad PR for them for geeks like us but the majority of people who buy video games don't know shit and don't care. Just look at Gamestop's sales numbers. "Oh, I can't delete my save file? Wait... why does that matter?" "You're gonna give me $9 bucks for this game I bought for $40 last week from you? Ok."

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']are you crazy?! this will tarnish the company and lose peoples trust. sure capcom may get the sales for the people for this game right now. but when people take notice of it, they will remember it the next time. when that next time comes, it'll be harder to sell.[/QUOTE]
Most people will not give a flying fuck even if they do notice. We notice, we care, but we are not most people. In fact, I would wager that our type of gamer, the folks that read all the blogs and keep up with the news and care about all of these bits and pieces, make up nothing more than an infinitesimally small portion of video game sales. So, really, in the big picture, our outrage will be negligible.

[quote name='62t']I don't even care because I have no intention of getting it used or selling it.[/QUOTE]I'm getting it new too and don't sell my games either, but I do care because I don't want to see it happen with other games.

Specifically games that I may not want now, but may pick up years later.

[quote name='Rocko']Most people will not give a flying fuck even if they do notice. We notice, we care, but we are not most people. In fact, I would wager that our type of gamer, the folks that read all the blogs and keep up with the news and care about all of these bits and pieces, make up nothing more than an infinitesimally small portion of video game sales. So, really, in the big picture, our outrage will be negligible.[/QUOTE]

But at this point most of the people who own a 3DS are hardcore gamers who wanted to buy the latest right away so the outrage has a little more to stand on this time around since most owners of the 3DS at this point care about video games. RE is also a more hardcore game series. The masses have not adopted this system yet and won't until the holiday season comes around.

If this happens to more games though the masses will start to notice and they will realize that they just spent $40 on a game that can't be lent to friends and that can't be shared amongst siblings.

But yes you are correct, our type of gamer makes up a very small percentage of all video game sales in general though we probably purchase more games than the average consumer who only purchases games as christmas gifts or gifts for other occasions.

[quote name='dallow']I'm getting it new too and don't sell my games either, but I do care because I don't want to see it happen with other games.

Specifically games that I may not want now, but may pick up years later.[/QUOTE]

even though you bought the game brand new, how exactly do you intend to replay it again if you can't delete or overwrite your save file?

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']even though you bought the game brand new, how exactly do you intend to replay it again if you can't delete or overwrite your save file?[/QUOTE]
Huh? I wasn't talking about replaying any games.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']even though you bought the game brand new, how exactly do you intend to replay it again if you can't delete or overwrite your save file?[/QUOTE]
Wouldn't you just start at mission one, and progress through each mission one at a time?

You can replay as many time as you want. You just keep the high score, unlockable characters and weapons.

I'll be picking this up this weekend most likely got a $25GC from buying nintendogs and zelda so that won't be too bad in price.

I liked RE4 mercenaries game too bad about the save game thing, but doesn't matter for me I don't trade my games in.

I'm not sure if this would bother me. On one hand, I can't buy the game used, but on the other hand, I never trade my games away and I doubt I'd start over from scratch on a game like this anyway.

I respect Capcom, they have some great titles and they deserve recognition for it. But...

They are showing off how big their balls are. Really, and I'm not saying that in a mad and angry way, I say that in a mature (seriously) way.

I would be pissed if I cared about this game. I think this is going to be a net loss for Capcom, because people who don't follow games as closely may buy this, expecting Resident Evil, and then be pissed off and not buy the upcoming game that supposedly actually IS Resident Evil.

I think they should have just called it "the Mercenaries" or something...maybe had TINY Print tying it to RE. Or "Racoon City Mercs", or something other than Resident Evil.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I would be pissed if I cared about this game. I think this is going to be a net loss for Capcom, because people who don't follow games as closely may buy this, expecting Resident Evil, and then be pissed off and not buy the upcoming game that supposedly actually IS Resident Evil.

I think they should have just called it "the Mercenaries" or something...maybe had TINY Print tying it to RE. Or "Racoon City Mercs", or something other than Resident Evil.[/QUOTE]

Right. Because when you're trying to sell a game, you should never ever ever use the name of the established franchise to help market it. In a similar vein, they should've just called it Reach instead of Halo Reach.

No, that isn't "in a similar vein". You didn't at all understand my point.

This isn't a Resident Evil game. People who love Resident Evil may hate this (by and large they probably will). Ergo they may not buy future Resident Evil games. Tarnishing a name is not a smart move.

[quote name='docvinh']Looks like Capcom has acknowledged it was a mistake and won't do it again. Hopefully.

http://3ds.nintendolife.com/news/2011/07/capcom_will_not_repeat_mercenaries_3d_save_file_mistake[/QUOTE]

Now that I think about it, this might have been a test on their part. Maybe they knew RE Mercs was not going to sell shittons so maybe they could quietly pass this off seeing if no one noticed/cared and they can afford the loss on this. That way if it did work, they would do it again and then use the no one bitched about RE Mercs Tagline.

That makes absolutely no sense. Your description 'people who love Resident Evil' should, by definition, be a group of people who already know what The Mercenaries is. It's not like a big secret or anything. The Mercenaries? Well known. Extreme Battle Mode? Slightly obscure. The mode itself has progressed to a ponit where anyone familiar with the series should know what it is.

The other problem is, really, that you also go ahead and call it 'not a Resident Evil game'. By what definition? Sure, it's not a story-canon RE game, but it's still an RE game. Should Dead Aim, Outbreak, Survivor, Umbrella Chronicles, and Darkside Chronicles not have used the Resident Evil name? Capcom has a history of making RE games that aren't story-canon games, so why The Mercenaries shouldn't be labeled RE is beyond me.

The issue you present, if valid at all, would need to be that people who have NEVER PLAYED AN RE game might be turned off by this and never play another RE game. The complete opposite of what you asserted, really. Also, let's be fair, it appears that the majority of people who have already adopted the 3DS skews much more to the 'young adult in the know' realm, which is basically the perfect audience for The Mercenaries.

Now, as I already brought up... look, The Mercenaries isn't tarnishing the RE name. Survivor? Yup. Dead Aim? Totally. That movie series? Dear god, yes. If none of those managed to kill the RE name, a game based solely on a very popular and well known RE game mode isn't going to do it.

I understand your point, it just happens to be completely wrong.

[quote name='Wolfpup']No, that isn't "in a similar vein". You didn't at all understand my point.

This isn't a Resident Evil game. People who love Resident Evil may hate this (by and large they probably will). Ergo they may not buy future Resident Evil games. Tarnishing a name is not a smart move.[/QUOTE]

That makes absolutely no sense. Your description 'people who love Resident Evil' should, by definition, be a group of people who already know what The Mercenaries is. It's not like a big secret or anything. The Mercenaries? Well known. Extreme Battle Mode? Slightly obscure. The mode itself has progressed to a point where anyone familiar with the series should know what it is.

The other problem is, really, that you also go ahead and call it 'not a Resident Evil game'. By what definition? Sure, it's not a story-canon RE game, but it's still an RE game. Should Dead Aim, Outbreak, Survivor, Umbrella Chronicles, and Darkside Chronicles not have used the Resident Evil name? Capcom has a history of making RE games that aren't story-canon games, so why The Mercenaries shouldn't be labeled RE is beyond me.

The issue you present, if valid at all, would need to be that people who have NEVER PLAYED AN RE game might be turned off by this and never play another RE game. The complete opposite of what you asserted, really. Also, let's be fair, it appears that the majority of people who have already adopted the 3DS skews much more to the 'young adult in the know' realm, which is basically the perfect audience for The Mercenaries.

Now, as I already brought up... look, The Mercenaries isn't tarnishing the RE name. Survivor? Yup. Dead Aim? Totally. That movie series? Dear god, yes. If none of those managed to kill the RE name, a game based solely on a very popular and well known RE game mode isn't going to do it.

I understand your point, it just happens to be completely wrong.

bread's done
Back