3DS-XL announced, $199, comes out on 8-19-12!!

[quote name='KingBroly']Same as the regular 3DS: Hold Select upon start-up.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I guess this doesn't work on the NES games, which is why I was having trouble. Maybe that is old news to most people, I had never tried it before. Worked great on the VC version of minish cap though.

[quote name='Fuzzibunny']Just got the XL .... Well worth it. I can finally see the screen and I am addicted to Mario kart and Heros of ruin demo[/QUOTE]

Ah yes, good to hear a positive feedback from a "real" person (not reviewer). Sent the OG 3DS out last week and just waiting on delivery from Newegg to try and run this thing into the ground before classes start again next week.

Got my 3DS XL today, the blue one. This thing looks soooo much better than pictures made it out to look.

Haven't had much time with it yet, but I have been playing FF Theatrythm and I LOVE IT. I am very happy with this purchase!

[quote name='Javery']So are these things going to be hard to find? I want to pick one up tomorrow if possible.[/QUOTE]

They may be hard to find at Gamestop, at least. Seems like they only got enough for preorders at mine.

If you have a Fry's nearby, you really should try for one today, since they are $180 today only.

[quote name='pjgamer007']Got my 3DS XL today, the blue one. This thing looks soooo much better than pictures made it out to look.

Haven't had much time with it yet, but I have been playing FF Theatrythm and I LOVE IT. I am very happy with this purchase![/QUOTE]

The blue on the original one looked horrid in pictures too but was actually really sharp in person. I would have went that route had they made the entire unit the same color all over, OCD made my decision last time. Went red on 3DSXL but was really indifferent toward the color options offered to be honest.

So far I'm really enjoying it. The only gripes are minimal. The sound seems lower than the3DS and the 3d viewing angles seem smaller. any slight head tilt and you can lose the effect, it seems. And i kinda sorta miss the little light that tells you the 3d effect is on. It's not necessary but was a nice little touch. Also, last thing I swear, the stylus is cheaper than the original metal telescoping stylus on the 3DS.
That was all. I'm currently enjoying kingdom hearts and theatrhythm a lot right now. And will start devil survivor overclocked soon!

My pic of DS game (Mega Man Zero Collection, fully stretched not 1:1, image smaller cause it's GBA to DS port):
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/427140_10152017705640577_1119450930_n.jpg

3DS game (Dead or Alive Dimensions which looks beautiful on it BTW):
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/228548_10152017705875577_1549269310_n.jpg

I really love this machine. The internet was not kidding when they told me the screens were MASSIVE! I was expecting bigger screens but when I opened my XL I reacted with a Bill & Ted "whoooooaa" Hinge is sturdy and so seems the rest of the unit and buttons themselves. D-pad is a lot more comfortable and natural to use compared to the original's.

3D effect looks exactly the same to me but better. Ghosting is reduced significantly but it's still there a little bit. Painfully still obvious playing the Resident Evil Revelations demo which is a shame. The terrible speakers are the only downgrade seeing as they're lower in volume and quality than the original's. But portable speakers are truly crap anyway and I will be using my headphones so that's forgivable.

So I think the 3DS XL is well worth it and I don't regret my purchase. It really is perfect except for the speakers but that's not a big issue here. I've got my old 3DS packed away in it's box ready to be sold to my friend and I will never go back to the original after my experience with the XL.

[quote name='Javery']So are these things going to be hard to find? I want to pick one up tomorrow if possible.[/QUOTE]

Well, my experience has been odd with this unit.
Zero merchandise at Target or ToysRus...nothing, nada.

There were plenty of consoles at Gamestop, but zero accessories.
No overpriced pouches or screen protectors to be purchased. The only option was an odd protector that claimed to work for both the DSiXL and the 3DSxl...but only for the touch screen. I think someone was trying to cash in quickly, without doing much work, 'cause the touch screens on both xl units are identical (or nearly so).

I cut an extra Vita protector, I had, to fit the screen (not perfect but it'll work until the supply comes in). And I used a DsiXl protector for the bottom screen.

Traded in my 'ambassador' unit after transferring the games, and don't regret it. Was really sick of dealing with the screen scratching issue...hopefully it's gone for good with this version.

[quote name='dragonjud']Traded in my 'ambassador' unit after transferring the games, and don't regret it. Was really sick of dealing with the screen scratching issue...hopefully it's gone for good with this version.[/QUOTE]

Its not, lots of complaints about screen getting scratched on the 3ds xl on gaf.

I'll be getting my screen protectors in the mail tomorrow. Until then I'm using one of the pieces of paper that came in my XL box to prevent scratches. The product registration paper works pretty well, not too thin and not too thick to do any damage.

Hey, guys I wanted to let you know, I got my local best buy to price match gamestop's $100 towards XL with a 3ds trade-in, in case you don't want to support gamestop.

What's everyones opinion on size for carrying around? I generally carry my 3ds in cargo pockets. Sometimes jeans pockets if necessary. I'm assuming it'll still fit fine in cargo pockets? Is it too cumbersome to take with me?

[quote name='jbuck138']What's everyones opinion on size for carrying around? I generally carry my 3ds in cargo pockets. Sometimes jeans pockets if necessary. I'm assuming it'll still fit fine in cargo pockets? Is it too cumbersome to take with me?[/QUOTE]

Should be no problem for cargo pockets

Its only about an inch wider and half inch taller than the original.

and its a hair thinner

I wear for style so my jeans are the slimmer type that will not even pocket the original 3DS without harm. When I do take my 3DS out I use my red pouch I got from Club Nintendo and either carry it around my wrists or store them in a bag and wear the bag on me.

Got one last night and I love this damn thing. Soooo much more comfortable to hold. I wouldn't say the 3D is "better" as some reviews led me to believe, as the "depth" isn't altered. I'd say it's roughly the same depth effect, but it is more immersive thanks to the larger screen.

Only complaint is the "warmer" (ie, slightly darker) screens made me think at first that the brightness was turned down or it was in power saving mode. It bothers me, but it's not a deal breaker.

Got the blue, love the screen, will gift the blue to my significant other as soon as the white, black, or transparent 3ds XL makes an appearance in the US.

Regret purchasing mine,the last Nintendo handheld system I had was the DS Lite and this feels cheap in comparison. The blue plastic shell as I mentioned in another thread was not put together correctly when it was manufactured on mine and was loose on the left side where the volume control is located. Going to have to return.

Planning on waiting for the Black Friday sales to pickup a Vita, may try getting a regular DSI XL though as that looks like a better design and not so poorly constructed.

Saw a review where they had a problem similiar to mine:

http://thefourohfive.com/review/article/nintendo-3ds-xl

"I feel the casing on the new Nintendo 3DS XL feels a lot cheaper; I had a particularly bad experience when ejecting the SD card, as it resulted in part of the casing coming away from the body. Its flimsiness reminds me of the skin shell on Cadbury's Mini Eggs."

I'm sure Nintendo had to cut corners somewhere. I think besides the outer shell, the body and buttons of the XL feel a lot better. At least we know that the shells can be removed and replaced with third party ones and as long as it will not fall apart/break on it's own I'm fine with it.

I actually like the blue color/feel. Had a blue GBA, blue GBASP, blue DSPhat, blue DSLight, and... black 3DS haha. Then again, I had the see through purple GBC, so...

I love my XL, but the speakers are WAY TOO LOW. I mean, they're almost useless if you're not in a totally quiet room. Makes the big screen feel less epic with this tiny sound coming from it. I don't always have headphones on me, so yeah kind of a bummer.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']I love my XL, but the speakers are WAY TOO LOW. I mean, they're almost useless if you're not in a totally quiet room. Makes the big screen feel less epic with this tiny sound coming from it. I don't always have headphones on me, so yeah kind of a bummer.[/QUOTE]

This. The loudness on the DSi XL was loads better than on the DSi. I was hoping for the same here. Sadly no. Guess I'll just have to use headphones.

I felt as though the original 3DS was flimsy in construction and my new 3DS XL feels like a tank. Guess I'm a weirdo.

I need some help. I just did the system transfer and when it seemed to be complete my new 3DSXL couldn't connect to the internet so it gave me an error. There is supposed to be some step where you take the SD card out of the old 3DS and put it into the new one. What do I have to do now. The old 3DS is completely wiped and when I turn it on it goes through the set-up. The new 3DSXL seems to be working but what am I going to be missing??? Nintendo can suck my balls with their ridiculousness.

I picked up a red 3DS XL. I already have a regular 3DS which I love so I was debating if I should upgrade to a bigger screen and updated hardware. It was a tough decision to spend 199 but then I realized I only had to spend 60 bucks. I had Chase Points to spend, Paypal money that I forgot was there from doing freelance, 20 dollar Max Payne preorder giftcard and a 10 dollar reward zone cert. So yeah, I still paid 199 technically, but that was all expendable money that I forgot was even there.

Overall I'm happy with the purchase. Color is great. Came with a free case at Best Buy.

I finally got a chance to open my XL yesterday after purchasing it on Sunday. I like it a lot. I wasn't a huge fan of the original 3DS because of it's small size. The XL really makes playing games in 3D worth it. I got the blue color and love it. I'm not a fan of red consoles, so blue was my only option. I'm hoping to pick up the new Mario game when I get paid next week. But so far, no complaints.

[quote name='Sway']Looks like Amazon will sell the blue XL since it's listed to ship in 2 or 3 weeks. Nothing but third party sellers on the red though.[/QUOTE]

come on wherehouse deals at 150 or less :)

just a heads up. the SD card that came with my XL is an SDHC card. i dont have an SDHC reader so all it does it freeze up my system when i put it in to try and copy over the data from my old card.

thanks nintendo

There are card readers that don't read SDHC? I have a cheap piece of crap I picked up from newegg at some point and it has no problem with SDHC cards.

[quote name='Javery']I need some help. I just did the system transfer and when it seemed to be complete my new 3DSXL couldn't connect to the internet so it gave me an error. There is supposed to be some step where you take the SD card out of the old 3DS and put it into the new one. What do I have to do now. The old 3DS is completely wiped and when I turn it on it goes through the set-up. The new 3DSXL seems to be working but what am I going to be missing??? Nintendo can suck my balls with their ridiculousness.[/QUOTE]

Saw this on Twitter courtesy of LikChan, seems as straight-forward a guide as you'll find:

http://www.vooks.net/simple-3ds-to-3ds-xl-transfer-guide-and-faq/

UPS wanted a signature for the XL newegg sent, doh! Had them hold it for pickup and biked the ten mile round trip to the UPS warehouse (could have drove, but less fun). The red looks alright, I wouldn't have felt strongly about either color. It looks cheaper but not as cheap as it did in a members post a few back. The speakers may be quieter but are enough for me as I will mostly play by myself in an otherwise empty apartment. It may be possible the stereo effect is enhanced by the extra little separation they get from having a wider screen inbetween.

To echo others' statements, it's comfy to hold and more immersive with the bigger screen. I wouldn't want to try and transport this in anything but a large cargo pocket personally. The stylus is nicely placed on the side but manages to feel extremely cheap.. Almost as if they bothered to make it hollow, but I doubt it is. A 4gb sd card is included as well as charger and AR cards. Also, to iamthecheapests dismay, a system update is already available. (shades of Sony?) May also be worth noting the select/home/start buttons still have an annoying lack of depth when pressed.

All said and done, I do feel it's the definitive way to play 3DS even with some flaws. Hey, I just turned 30, I'll take bigger screens gladly. If it's within your means, I say go for it.

[quote name='Supreme0ne']just a heads up. the SD card that came with my XL is an SDHC card. i dont have an SDHC reader so all it does it freeze up my system when i put it in to try and copy over the data from my old card.

thanks nintendo[/QUOTE]

Yeah, any card over 2GB is SDHC by default (AFAIK). Had this same issue on my old PC's card reader, but luckily had a digital camera sitting around that I essentually used as a PC adapter, lol.

SDHC readers are cheap as shit though, so you can pick one up pretty easily.

[quote name='johnnypark']Saw this on Twitter courtesy of LikChan, seems as straight-forward a guide as you'll find:

http://www.vooks.net/simple-3ds-to-3ds-xl-transfer-guide-and-faq/[/QUOTE]

Thanks - that's exactly what I did except for me the part where it says "then you’ll be prompted to insert your old SD 2GB card from your Nintendo 3DS in your 3DS XL" never happened because the Internet connection failed for some reason and I got an error message instead. I didn't play with the memory cards that much so maybe all is not lost.

Anyway, I'm not sure how I feel about the new system. The screen size is badass but I don't like the pixelization. It is really noticeable to me. The screen should have been this big from the beginning and the resolution should have been higher. The good news is that Pilotwings seems pretty fun in the 15 minutes I played it - not bad for free!

[quote name='foltzie']How old are your readers? SDHC was announced in 2005, seems unusual to be unable to read SDHC cards.[/QUOTE]

Not to stray off topic, but I got it in 2006, but it was a 5 dollar chinese multi-card reader, so not surprised, haha.

Anyone else experiencing too much give/take in the plastic near the SD slot door? There seems to be nothing anchoring the halves of the shell together between the SD and the stylus slot--too much of a gap appears, IMO. Annoying when my right hand's fingers are pressing against that area.

Curious if this is common, and if I should return it for another one.

[quote name='El Gray']Anyone else experiencing too much give/take in the plastic near the SD slot door? There seems to be nothing anchoring the halves of the shell together between the SD and the stylus slot--too much of a gap appears, IMO. Annoying when my right hand's fingers are pressing against that area.

Curious if this is common, and if I should return it for another one.[/QUOTE]

On mine I can only notice it when I am opening the door to the SD card slow. When the door is closed and clicked fully into place I can't tell.

Of course when opening the door it almost feels like I am going to be ripping the back plastic plate off. Even with that though it still feels more sturdy than my original 3ds.

Anybody else have dead pixels? I can only notice them when the screen is black, but I have two red ones and a green one. They don't affect gameplay, but can get annoying.

[quote name='chicagocubsfan']Anybody else have dead pixels? I can only notice them when the screen is black, but I have two red ones and a green one. They don't affect gameplay, but can get annoying.[/QUOTE]

no dead pixels here, but if i would've gotten any I would've exchanged that sucker asap. :bouncy:

Broke down and returned an unopened mario 3ds bundle back to target and went with the XL instead. It's nice but I am noticing the back being so rounded and smooth that it feels slippery to me. My hands don't sweat a lot but I can see this being even worse for sweaty palms players.

[quote name='chicagocubsfan']Anybody else have dead pixels? I can only notice them when the screen is black, but I have two red ones and a green one. They don't affect gameplay, but can get annoying.[/QUOTE]

I don't have any dead pixels but I do have a white blotch on my touch screen. It's a faint, small white blotch that is annoying just because I'm already aware that it's there. I think I'm going to take it back and swap it for another one today.

$50 more for white? =/
I have a pink 3ds I might just trade it in for a red XL kinda hate taking out my pink 3ds in public. ^__^

[quote name='GUNNM']$50 more for white? =/
I have a pink 3ds I might just trade it in for a red XL kinda hate taking out my pink 3ds in public. ^__^[/QUOTE]

just make a small donation to the Komen foundation, get a pink ribbon sticker and be proud you're rockin your pink 3DS...personally the white/pink I prefer over the current US releases.

I only notice a dead pixel when playing RE Revelations, but when I'm playing other games it doesn't appear. I'm just going to live with it as it isn't noticeable unless I really try to look for it. I've also added a screen protector with no dust underneath so thats why I am reluctant on exchanging it lol.

bread's done
Back