$40 gift card with purchase of Bayonetta & Darksiders or $10 for 1 + $5 off in-store

thegame85

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
http://toysrus.shoplocal.com/toysrus/default.aspx?action=entryflash&

Buy both Darksiders and Bayonetta and get a $40 gift card, buy just one and get a $10 gift card...Good through Thursday 1/7/2010

Edit #2: Also wanted to let you guys know of a pair of $5 off coupons in a little booklet Toys R Us has at their registers. It looks like this:
th_DSC00915.jpg

It has two $5 off coupons for various things, it says Video Game Hardware but not software, should work...look for them at the regular register:
DSC00916.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='etcrane']I've read the reviews, it's averaging 8's with some 7's thrown in ... it doesn't look like an awful game to me but I can say with 100% certainty that it's not worth spending $60 on imo.[/QUOTE]
Yet you called it "incredibly bland and unoriginal".

What reviews have given it a 7 range? I've not seen anything lower than 8.

How exactly does a review mean more than actually watching the gameplay for yourself? I mean sure, you can take someone else's opinion as fact or you can actually watch it and make an assessment on your own ... I fail to see how watching 1/2 an hour is somehow going to be any different than if I had to watch or even play the game for 20 hours.
We're different then. I prefer to read a review and get more details on it. The play-through on IGN was basically just a Q&A with some game footage and they didn't really go into depth on a lot. I also like GT's review videos because they show a lot the different parts to a game.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Well, maybe not God of War, but it seems like one of those generic action games >_>. I dont see how anyone could be looking forward to Darkstalkers, and not Bayonetta........what has the world of gaming come to.[/QUOTE]

This is how games are and always have been. This case is no different from other genres out there.

Dantes Inferno is no more a clone of its genre than most FPS games are of each other. Its actually very annoying to me how clone'd FPS controls are. But thats just the way it is.

Anyway, I'm glad the platformer is making a small comeback :cool:

[quote name='dgwillia006']Well, maybe not God of War, but it seems like one of those generic action games >_>. I dont see how anyone could be looking forward to Darkstalkers, and not Bayonetta........what has the world of gaming come to.[/QUOTE]

Bayonetta seems to be getting praised for it's gameplay, but it a bargain bin purchase for whack character design alone. Looks like a spider in a garbage bag. :roll:

[quote name='Xerxes']Bayonetta seems to be getting praised for it's gameplay, but it a bargain bin purchase for whack character design alone. Looks like a spider in a garbage bag. :roll:[/QUOTE]

I don't trust review sites anymore.

They're much too lenient nowadays. I've played a handful of terrible games that came highly recommended with excellent reviews.

[quote name='dgwillia006']I dont see how anyone could be looking forward to Darkstalkers, and not Bayonetta........what has the world of gaming come to.[/QUOTE]

bayonetta-spalin-are-the-same1.jpg

Yeah. No thanks.

[quote name='dino88']I'm feeling the exact opposite as the majority here. Everything I've seen and heard about Darksiders has me looking forward to it, whereas Bayonetta's demo took me from interested to not even worth a rental. I couldn't even finish the demo w/ that horrible cam.[/QUOTE]

Horrible cam? As in camera? What was wrong with it? The movement speed, or inverted/not inverted? You know you could change all of that in the options? Or did it not track your movement well enough on it's own?

If I didn't have an eca order with both of these games from amazon, I'd be getting both from TRU. Until I started frequenting this site, I had no idea they had such crazy deals for new games all the time.

Bayonetta demo played like a dream, I can't wait to get a bunch of special moves and weapons to customize her. Darksiders looks pretty damn fantastic as well. The combat I've always wanted in a Zelda type adventure. In link to the past on snes I always played with the monsters, trying to "sword fight", by charging my sword(which makes it stick out) and then continue to hit their swords with mine. It looked like we were dueling, in a 16bit kind of way.

[quote name='Rouzhokuu']http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/darksiderswrathofwar#critics

Averaging an 87.

Looks solid enough to me.[/QUOTE]

Metacritic takes into account about 1/2 of the sites no one has ever heard of on the internet, when you start to break down those scores. Like I said earlier, everyone is more than welcome to throw down $60 on Darksiders but from what I've seen and what I've read it doesn't look like it's worth it. Besides ... most scores are blown up anyway ... gaming sites tend to give out quite a few 8's and 9's these days. The 7.5 I was referring to was the second look/ opinion on Game Informers site. Not to mention that most of the major gaming sites haven't put out reviews for this yet ... at least most of Bayonetta's reviews are already out (and I still think the design of the main character is horrific, yet I've grown to accept her ...).

This often happens when a game is about to come out and a bunch of rabid fanboys get all crazy about the game and defend it to the death even when it's mediocre. I'm not calling those of you who are mentioning it fanboys, but sign on to Gamefaqs and you'll see what I mean. This game just doesn't appear to bring anything new to the table and the environments I've seen look particularly bland. It's supposed to be a modern world after the apocalypse but it looks like it could be the random greek town sections from God of War ... it's simply not distinct in my opinion. Perhaps if it looked more like Fallout 3's wasteland or was a bit more visually striking I might be psyched for this game. I'll save my money for the better stuff on the horizon ...

[quote name='icedrake523']What is it a rip-off of? God of War?

Newsflash: Games like God of War have existed before God of War.[/QUOTE]

LOL...thank you! You made my night. I'm not the only one who hasn't lost their mind.

awesome - this is exactly the post I came on here looking for.
I thought to myself, "I would like to pick up Bayonetta and Darksiders - I'm gonna check the forums for any deals out there..."
badabing badaboom

How do you guys do price matches if you don't have a physical copy of the ad? I imagine most stores won't honor an ad printed from online. I'd like to try to price-match this at Best Buy to get the Reward Zone Gamer points.

[quote name='etcrane']This often happens when a game is about to come out and a bunch of rabid fanboys get all crazy about the game and defend it to the death even when it's mediocre. I'm not calling those of you who are mentioning it fanboys, but sign on to Gamefaqs and you'll see what I mean.[/QUOTE]
If you're not calling anyone fanboys, why even bring this up?

[quote name='One4Deuce']How do you guys do price matches if you don't have a physical copy of the ad? I imagine most stores won't honor an ad printed from online. I'd like to try to price-match this at Best Buy to get the Reward Zone Gamer points.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they will generally honor a print-out. If for some reason that isn't enough, they can check the website in-store.

I skimmed the thread and didn't see this info posted, but I did see some talk of exchanging one of these games for ME. I don't think it will work though.

When you buy a game that comes with a gc at TRU, the register deducts the gc amount from the price of the game and then charges you for the gc. I'm assuming this deal will only charge you $40 for each game and so that's all you'd get in credit when returning/exchanging a game from this deal.

I've only worked at TRU for a couple of months now and never at customer service, so some one please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Also, as for PMing at BB, if this deal is listed on the website, I've had no problems just telling the BB customer service that another store has the sale listed on thier site and they just look it up.

[quote name='icedrake523']If you're not calling anyone fanboys, why even bring this up?[/QUOTE]

Because it tends to happen all the time and isn't uncommon, hype goes off the charts and people talk games up before we've all played them. I had to laugh at the PLAY review ... 10/10 ... from the dude who raved about the latest Golden Axe game and gave Sonic unleashed an 8. I just think it's a point worth noting but I have no facts or data, or even the right to call anyone posting on this board a fanboy ... I just have my doubts about how great Darksiders is going to be when all is said and done.

[quote name='Vortextk']Horrible cam? As in camera? What was wrong with it? The movement speed, or inverted/not inverted? You know you could change all of that in the options? Or did it not track your movement well enough on it's own?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the camera was obnoxiously slow when controlling it yourself. I'd try to get a different view and it would take forever for the camera to turn. Are you saying there's an option to speed this up? I didn't play with the options bc this has never been an issue in any other game. Although, even if this were fixed in the final version, I'd probably only give it a rent. Just personal taste.

[quote name='dino88']Yeah, the camera was obnoxiously slow when controlling it yourself. I'd try to get a different view and it would take forever for the camera to turn. Are you saying there's an option to speed this up? I didn't play with the options bc this has never been an issue in any other game. Although, even if this were fixed in the final version, I'd probably only give it a rent. Just personal taste.[/QUOTE]

Yes, there is absolutely a slider in the option menu to speed it up. I have no idea why it is so laboriously slow, but it is an easily fixable issue.

[quote name='dino88']Yeah, the camera was obnoxiously slow when controlling it yourself. I'd try to get a different view and it would take forever for the camera to turn. Are you saying there's an option to speed this up? I didn't play with the options bc this has never been an issue in any other game. Although, even if this were fixed in the final version, I'd probably only give it a rent. Just personal taste.[/QUOTE]

The camera was on nothing, speed wise. All the way to the left, 0.

No offense, but the complaint just seemed crappy which is why I pointed it out, especially if you might be interested. It's ok to not want the game, different strokes, but the options are right there when you pause the game at any time.

[quote name='etcrane']Because it tends to happen all the time and isn't uncommon, hype goes off the charts and people talk games up before we've all played them. I had to laugh at the PLAY review ... 10/10 ... from the dude who raved about the latest Golden Axe game and gave Sonic unleashed an 8. I just think it's a point worth noting but I have no facts or data, or even the right to call anyone posting on this board a fanboy ... I just have my doubts about how great Darksiders is going to be when all is said and done.[/QUOTE]

And sometimes a game is deserving of a high score.

I don't feel like continuing this. I don't think you're giving Darksiders a fair chance if you're just going by a 20 min play-through (I didn't think the guy explained anything well or showed off as much as he could have). It's a day-one purchase for me since I'm really interested in it and there's nothing I want really until Splinter Cell Conviction (and I'm only luke warm on that right now).

[quote name='etcrane']Because it tends to happen all the time and isn't uncommon, hype goes off the charts and people talk games up before we've all played them. I had to laugh at the PLAY review ... 10/10 ... from the dude who raved about the latest Golden Axe game and gave Sonic unleashed an 8. I just think it's a point worth noting but I have no facts or data, or even the right to call anyone posting on this board a fanboy ... I just have my doubts about how great Darksiders is going to be when all is said and done.[/QUOTE]

Yet you seem to be the only one judging a game none of us have played. The only things I've seen from "fanboys" on here is that it looks interesting. No one is claiming it to be a great, but just that their interest in peaked by reviews and gameplay videos.

[quote name='SDC']Yes, there is absolutely a slider in the option menu to speed it up. I have no idea why it is so laboriously slow, but it is an easily fixable issue.[/QUOTE]
Well, that's good. At least I know I wasn't crazy in thinking that.

[quote name='Vortextk']The camera was on nothing, speed wise. All the way to the left, 0.

No offense, but the complaint just seemed crappy which is why I pointed it out, especially if you might be interested. It's ok to not want the game, different strokes, but the options are right there when you pause the game at any time.[/QUOTE]

I didn't really feel the need to play with the options with a demo that I truly wasn't enjoying all that much. I've never had a game where I had to mess with a camera speed, so I think it's understandable that I didn't look in the options for some sort of fix.

[quote name='dino88']Yet you seem to be the only one judging a game none of us have played. The only things I've seen from "fanboys" on here is that it looks interesting. No one is claiming it to be a great, but just that their interest in peaked by reviews and gameplay videos.[/QUOTE]

So you're saying no one else here has voiced an opinion on the game and were all simply responding to my hypocritical 'judgement' on it? I'm basically providing my perspective on it, from what I've seen and read, so what you stated makes little sense because I don't believe any of us have actually played the final product and yet many people have chimed in with opinions on the game. And if you actually read my comment, I stated that the fanboism was apparent on many gaming sites like gamefaqs and other open forums, not necessarily here ... so I'm not really sure what you're trying to say.

Haha, why the fuck are people arguing over this.

Also, lol @ going by Amazon's price on X-Men Origins: Wolverine as a basis for "games don't go on sale quickly."

I appreciate you posting this OP; if I can get a PM at Best Buy and have the $40 taken off immediately, I'll definitely pick these up.

[quote name='lolwut?']Haha, why the fuck are people arguing over this.

Also, lol @ going by Amazon's price on X-Men Origins: Wolverine as a basis for "games don't go on sale quickly."

I appreciate you posting this OP; if I can get a PM at Best Buy and have the $40 taken off immediately, I'll definitely pick these up.[/QUOTE]

I used that as an example because I recall people saying it would be $20 in a few months when Amazon had it for about $30-35 during the summer. That obviously never happened. My point is that while Darksiders could end up $35 or $30 in the next few months, its just as likely that its price wont not change at all.

And as I said before, I consider a sale different from bargain bin.

Darksiders looks/sounds amazing; I've had my eye on it for a while now. Unfortunately I did not care for the Bayonetta demo at all - I wish they would let you pair another game with it.

[quote name='Gbear09']You mean darkSIDERS right? I don't know if they are going to make another Darkstalkers[/QUOTE]

There's been no announcements or anything but given that Capcom practically just single handedly brought back the fighter I think it would be a real shame if they let the new SFIV tech go to waste and didn't make either a new Vampire Hunter or a Capcom Vs. game with it.

(Yeah I know about Capcom Vs. Tatsunoko on the Wii, and that's great and everyhting but I'm talking about their exciting new 'not EX' cel shaded 3d engine.)

[quote name='gnargnargnar']Darksiders looks/sounds amazing; I've had my eye on it for a while now. Unfortunately I did not care for the Bayonetta demo at all - I wish they would let you pair another game with it.[/QUOTE]

Buy both, and swap Bayonetta for a different game another day.

I already have bayonetta preordered at tru from a b2g1 (@$40) and was gonna hold off on Darksiders until the price drops, so I'll hold off on giving tru $40 for a gift card I'll be pressured to use at their store, nice deal otherwise.

Hmm, now if only this could be pricematched at Best Buy, for the extra 300 Gamers Club RZ points and the freebie Darksiders figure.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Remember they also take game trade ins! You just take them to the customer service desk and they'll give you a gift card that you can use immediately.

To see what they'll give you for a game: http://www.toysrustradeincenter.com/[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much! I had been wondering if TRU had a website where you could check trade-in values, and I had google searched before to no avail. It might have been right when the program started though, before the site was up. Either way, much appreciated.

[quote name='beard_of_zeus']Thanks so much! I had been wondering if TRU had a website where you could check trade-in values, and I had google searched before to no avail. It might have been right when the program started though, before the site was up. Either way, much appreciated.[/QUOTE]What were you typing in when doing a search through Google? I ask because I've always put in "toys r us trade in" and the first result is the site. Been doing this since I first heard about the trade in offer months ago.

Trying to figure out how to get this deal price matched at Best Buy.

Talked to a guy today and he said they don't do price matching when gift cards are involved, but it says they do right on the site:

How do you handle a price match if an instant gift card is included with a purchase?
The value of an instant gift card with purchase will be considered when calculating a price match. If the combined value of a competitor's product and instant gift card is lower than the combined value of Best Buy's product price and instant gift card, Best Buy will match either the price or the instant gift card value, depending on the offer.

At least, that's what it seems like it means...

[quote name='Rouzhokuu']Trying to figure out how to get this deal price matched at Best Buy.

Talked to a guy today and he said they don't do price matching when gift cards are involved, but it says they do right on the site:

How do you handle a price match if an instant gift card is included with a purchase?
The value of an instant gift card with purchase will be considered when calculating a price match. If the combined value of a competitor's product and instant gift card is lower than the combined value of Best Buy's product price and instant gift card, Best Buy will match either the price or the instant gift card value, depending on the offer.

At least, that's what it seems like it means...[/QUOTE]

Bring that in to the store. The final decision is always up to the manager on duty, but if you come in knowing what you are talking about they will probably let you do it.

[quote name='IXI Dragunz IXI']Buy both, and swap Bayonetta for a different game another day.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you could swap it for a $40 game. Anything more than that you'll have to pay the difference.

[quote name='SDC']Bring that in to the store. The final decision is always up to the manager on duty, but if you come in knowing what you are talking about they will probably let you do it.[/QUOTE]Yes. This is the ideal thing to do. Bring a printout with you, grab both games and take them to the customer service booth. They can look up the advertisement right there on the computer and will either match the offer or deduct the amount of the gift card evenly from the games. I have done this twice and they discounted the games which was great because you pay less and you save on sales tax, where applicable.

[quote name='IXI Dragunz IXI']Buy both, and swap Bayonetta for a different game another day.[/QUOTE]

At TRU you can't swap it, if you get both and get the 40 dollar gift card they will void the gift card if you decide to return one of the games.

[quote name='saetia']How is everyone gonna pricematch this? I don't see it advertised anywhere.[/QUOTE]

you can look at the TRU flyer online and print it.

[quote name='icedrake523']you can look at the TRU flyer online and print it.[/QUOTE]

The thing is I can't see where it says you get $40 if you buy both on the website. If anyone can point to where it says $40 if you buy both I would be appreciative.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']The thing is I can't see where it says you get $40 if you buy both on the website. If anyone can point to where it says $40 if you buy both I would be appreciative.[/QUOTE]

You go to weekly ads. Its in the ad, I don't think its an online deal.

[quote name='bigant262']You go to weekly ads. Its in the ad, I don't think its an online deal.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean here? All it shows is $10 if you buy one, not $40 for both.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Do you mean here? All it shows is $10 if you buy one, not $40 for both.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it says $10 gift card if you buy one, and underneath it, it says bonus offer.

Thanks KongaKing, what I was doing was clicking on the video game section on the right hand side which was only showing the $10 GC.

Lol, i would have leapt on this deal if they atleast gave decent game trade in values, but only 17 dollars for Assassins Creed 2 is pathetic >_>, especially when gamestop still gives 30 dollars for it.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Lol, i would have leapt on this deal if they atleast gave decent game trade in values, but only 17 dollars for Assassins Creed 2 is pathetic >_>, especially when gamestop still gives 30 dollars for it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah after looking more closely at trade in values on the games I want to trade to TRU I'm gonna hold off on that. Tough call on PMing at BB though gonna see if they have the free figures available for darksiders or not otherwise I would rather have the $5 off at TRU from the coupon versus 120 RZ points at BB.

Nice to see TRU bringing it with the good release-date deals again. If my backlog wasn't so huge, I'd actually consider these two for the $75 after coupon & gift card. Great prices for getting these so soon after release.

Reviews are coming in for both titles on Metacritic. Bayonetta is apparently awesome, especially according to IGN (but avoid the PS3 version if you also have an Xbox 360, it runs much better on the latter platform apparently). Darksiders is also getting great reviews, but the only big-time reviewers are two of IGN's foreign site, so the jury's still out a little bit.

bread's done
Back