50% off Gamers Club Unlocked, 3/20/14 to 3/22/14

WuTangSwordsman

CAGiversary!
Fellow CAG Members,

If this has already been posted, my bad... However, for those of you who missed out on the deal before, it looks as if BB is giving you another shot. Just happened to run across this, so I thought I would pass it along just in case.

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Latest-Greatest/50-off-Gamers-Club-Unlocked-3-20-14-to-3-22-14/ba-p/798322

Being that I have saved so much with this site, I figured it was the least I could do to help some of you fellow CAGs out there looking for the deal! It is IN-STORE and only good for the dates posted in the Subject line... Good luck and possible YMMV!

I have a question. If I get a game with gcu for 47.99 then it goes on sale next week and it comes to 31.xx after gcu will they adjust the price with gcu or will they just refund u the difference of the sale price.

Was thinking about pulling the trigger since I have a 50$ gift card but the Cult like behavior of people ramming their GCU for life non sense down other peoples throats constantly and the fact that the 2 best buys near me have a 1\4 of an isle dedicated to all 12 video games they carry 1-2 accessories for all platforms I'll probably pass.

Things like this would make me spend more on games then I really want to 20% off or not its hard to not buy games to save money when you paid 60 bucks for it.

Guess I'll think about it for the day.
this guy speaks the truth

Oh snap! Thanks OP!!! I buy 50+ brand new, pre ordered games a year across my 4 consoles. I always search deals, here, but this is good for the games that don't get any pre order discounts, and for games where the discounts offered are less than $12 (which is what you get off a $60 game)> I'm all over this, will stop in Best Buy after work tomorrow. Thanks again! 

Ugh. why is this in-store only? I won't be back in the US until next month. There's no way of doing this over the phone, is there? :/

Last edited by a moderator:
So just to clarify, If I buy another one and I'm already a member, will my membership get extended another two years after my first two years is expired?

Also, where exactly on the BestBuy.com page does it tell me how long I'm a member of GCU?  I went to my profile but it only says stuff about my Elite Plus membership.

So just to clarify, If I buy another one and I'm already a member, will my membership get extended another two years after my first two years is expired?
Also, where exactly on the BestBuy.com page does it tell me how long I'm a member of GCU? I went to my profile but it only says stuff about my Elite Plus membership.
Yes you can and it will be in your my.bestbuy.com and listed on right side either above or below where it says your membership level

Also, where exactly on the BestBuy.com page does it tell me how long I'm a member of GCU? I went to my profile but it only says stuff about my Elite Plus membership.
In store yesterday they told me "no I would have to wait for it to expire". On Best Buy's forums Best Buy Unboxed last night, one of the official help told me the store gave me false info.

[attachment=3789:image.jpg][attachment=3790:image.jpg]

Oh snap! Thanks OP!!! I buy 50+ brand new, pre ordered games a year across my 4 consoles. I always search deals, here, but this is good for the games that don't get any pre order discounts, and for games where the discounts offered are less than $12 (which is what you get off a $60 game)> I'm all over this, will stop in Best Buy after work tomorrow. Thanks again!
50 preorders a year? What kind of CAG are you!

I think I will finally join up on my way home from work. I've been a big amazon guy for years but Best Buy is getting better with their deals and service plus now that amazon is raising prime I am cancelling my membership after eight long years. I think best buy will be my new go to store and this offer seals that deal. thanks op for the information.

A perfect example of why I'm doing this is I ordered Frozen on Bluray from Best Buy because they offered a bonus 100 Rewards points with preorder. I got an email last night about how sorry they are about the delay in shipping my order and gave me a coupon for $10 off my next order at BestBuy.com. I mean who does stuff like this anymore? I used to really hate shopping at Best Buy but over the last few years they have definitely changed and I like what they are doing.

This program is not to save us money, it's to make them money. Just like a gym membership you pay for each month and quit going, but you keep on paying.
Or you could actually go to the gym you're paying for ... why do people need to complicate things? This deal isn't for everybody depending on your spending habits, but it can be worthwhile. Too many folks are acting like that friend who's always announcing "professional wrestling is fake." Congrats on breaking the code.

Gamestop still gets my niche game and collector's edition purchases.
I understand getting niche titles since BB doesn`t stock alot of them but $150 CE`s no way. BB`s saving you $30 upfront & basically giving you at least $5 credit(240/250 base rz pts) on each one. That $35 is huge, when a $60 game is on sale for $40 GCU makes it $32 so each time you`re losing a free game.

Get a BB prepaid visa & use it to pre-order at GS in the event of a sellout and/or damaged CE box that way you`re protected & you`ll have close to $5 back in rz pts on the card. Use the cards to purchase at GS that way you double(triple) dip on pts, it`s an easy way to pad your spending threshold towards elite/elite plus & that 10%/20% will make most of your purchases reach a $5 everytime.

They're really pushing to get people locked in to buying from them for 2 years. Gee I wonder why?

I think "saving" is the wrong word because people end up spending much more than they otherwise would to consciously or subconsciously justify spending the money to join the club.

$60 is obviously more reasonable than $120 but their plan to hook you is still the same.

I had to wonder, especially at the $120 price point, how man $60 or even $40 videogames are people buying? I buy like 2 a year at that price and it's usually with Gamestop credit so I don't have to pay tax.
You're setting money on fire by trading in (most) games to GameStop and then locking yourself into buying there, so I don't see the difference.

[quote name="maximumzero" post="11630472" timestamp="1395429977"]Yep.[/quote]

Thank you, I've been using a family members RZ account for the longest time and have 15 in certificates. Hopefully I can create a new account for myself as well as use these.

Loosely related to the topic at hand but maybe important for someone making a decision on this in the next couple days, are Skylanders figures discounted through GCU?

Thank you, I've been using a family members RZ account for the longest time and have 15 in certificates. Hopefully I can create a new account for myself as well as use these.
Be careful with that move rz certs are tied to the accounts that they are generated from.

Loosely related to the topic at hand but maybe important for someone making a decision on this in the next couple days, are Skylanders figures discounted through GCU?
Yep, the 3 limit still applies though per sku

[quote name="Enuf" post="11630584" timestamp="1395431963"]Be careful with that move rz certs are tied to the accounts that they are generated from.
[/quote]

Thanks, I guess I'll just use them on an electronics item or something else there. Dont want my account tied to someone moving away in a few months.

Yes, also the 20% discounts on new games.
Thanks, I ask because in the Best Buy trade thread, it says it may take up to 48 hours for GCU to show up on your BB membership, so I didn't know if I should make the trade on the same day (was just about to go in today to do some trade ins until I stumbled across this thread, thanks OP!)

Never had an issue except when I got my friend signed up and he also pre-ordered 3 games (that gave $10 gc) and the guy couldn't figure out how to do pre-orders.    He voided the GCU when he was buying it, then figured it out and after paying the GCU didn't attach to his account.

Bestbuy has a flaw in their system that if they void out any digital purchase (GCU, Giftcards, Prepay, XBL cards, etc) they WILL NOT work period once they're removed off an order and re-added.   They have to completely back out and start over.

Went in today and signed up no problem :D The customer service rep knew about the 50% off. I traded in a couple games right after signing up and it gave me the 10% bonus without delay.

Looking forward to getting some use out of the program. The nearest Best Buy is like 20 miles away, so i'll buy online mostly, but still a great program.

Interesting that Disney Infinity & Skylanders figures are included in the 20% off savings but other accessories are not.
I posted an update in the reg. GCU thread BB is currently reviewing what can be added to the 20% discount along with several other changes that have recently come up regarding the upgraded GCU. I think being able to join online will come soon too.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/321910-best-buy-gamers-club-unlocked-120-for-2-years-30-for-currentrecent-members-20-off-new-games-extends-to-current-members/page-150

Thanks OP. I ended up biting after realizing I'll be definitely be preordering KHIII, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, and whatever Zelda, Halo and Gears titles come out in the next 2 years.

Bought this Thursday night and it's still not working on my account. I've been on the phone, emailing and back to the store and no one seems to be able to do anything. Right now it's looking like I just gave them $60 for nothing. 

Bought this Thursday night and it's still not working on my account. I've been on the phone, emailing and back to the store and no one seems to be able to do anything. Right now it's looking like I just gave them $60 for nothing.
They must have removed the $60 GCU when you were checking out, then added it back. This is a flaw with Bestbuy's checkout process on digital cards. Take your receipt to CS and have them refund/recharge your account. It will work just fine after. I had this happen to a friend of mine when he tried to pre-order a couple games along with buying GCU.

BUYER BEWARE  - Just know that when you pay for the GCU it will not let you price match and then take 20 %off.  Some say that would be selling the game at a loss for BB but when the reality is the games are purchased by BB from the manufacturer at a cost of $30-35 it is not.  What it is, is the ability for BB not to discount their games while most other retailers are and likely in the future making it that GCU buyers will either save $2 or pay $3 more than almost everywhere else.  Not exactly great savings when you factor in what you pay for the GCU.  My biggest gripe is BB is not discounting new releases anymore and making them all MSRP.  I have not paid MSRP on any game purchase in the last year as some retailer is always offering some kind of discount.  So if they are then GCU is the same thing but you paid to get it as where the others offer it for free to get your business.

Thanks, I ask because in the Best Buy trade thread, it says it may take up to 48 hours for GCU to show up on your BB membership, so I didn't know if I should make the trade on the same day (was just about to go in today to do some trade ins until I stumbled across this thread, thanks OP!)
I signed up yesterday and it has yet to reflect on my account =/

So I went to Best Buy yesterday and bought 2 two-year memberships at the $60 rate, so 4 total years for $120. I've never been a member of GCU before, and the rep basically explained nothing. I log into Best Buy website and I see nothing reflecting my status as GCU. I go to my profile, and I found a line at the bottom of the page that tells me my Gamer's Club status, and underneath it says I'm a Free member, not paid GCU. I try buying a game online, and no discount. 

Sounds like most people here have been a member before or are members now. Can anyone confirm to me if this is normal? How long do I have to wait before this will be reflected online so I can get discounts? I want to make purchases now, but I can't because it still shows I'm a free member.

BUYER BEWARE - Just know that when you pay for the GCU it will not let you price match and then take 20 %off. Some say that would be selling the game at a loss for BB but when the reality is the games are purchased by BB from the manufacturer at a cost of $30-35 it is not. What it is, is the ability for BB not to discount their games while most other retailers are and likely in the future making it that GCU buyers will either save $2 or pay $3 more than almost everywhere else. Not exactly great savings when you factor in what you pay for the GCU. My biggest gripe is BB is not discounting new releases anymore and making them all MSRP. I have not paid MSRP on any game purchase in the last year as some retailer is always offering some kind of discount. So if they are then GCU is the same thing but you paid to get it as where the others offer it for free to get your business.
people like you drive me up a wall.

Best buy doesn't pay $30-$35 for a $60 game. Get your facts straight and stop posting nonsense or GTFO.

Despite what you think, you are not posting a public service announcement, you're just making yourself look stupid. I've started to ignore the "GCU sucks" people. If it's not for them, it's not for them. But you are just telling people stupid shit that's not true.

Finally, BB does discount games. And when they discount those games, you still save another 20% off sale prices. Seriously, please just go away.

I will bite when it hits 75% off.

This is the second 50% sale in like 5 weeks. To me that shows they are testing waters with a possible lower price point because they likely weren't getting many bites at the retail price. The ones who were willing to pony up $120 for it did from the jump.

50 games an year? Wow

So I went to Best Buy yesterday and bought 2 two-year memberships at the $60 rate, so 4 total years for $120. I've never been a member of GCU before, and the rep basically explained nothing. I log into Best Buy website and I see nothing reflecting my status as GCU. I go to my profile, and I found a line at the bottom of the page that tells me my Gamer's Club status, and underneath it says I'm a Free member, not paid GCU. I try buying a game online, and no discount.

Sounds like most people here have been a member before or are members now. Can anyone confirm to me if this is normal? How long do I have to wait before this will be reflected online so I can get discounts? I want to make purchases now, but I can't because it still shows I'm a free member.
I signed up on Thursday morning and haven't seen anything apply to my account either

Signed up on Thursday. It showed on the site Thursday Night. Received my coupons in an email on Friday. Also bought and traded games today and received my bonuses.

Signed up, no emails no coupons no online discounts called they're opening a case because they can't help over the phone they see an issue on my account but can't fix it? Wtf I wanted to leave amazon for best buy but I'm less than impressed at the moment

people like you drive me up a wall.

Best buy doesn't pay $30-$35 for a $60 game. Get your facts straight and stop posting nonsense or GTFO.
Really? How? So if you know for a fact please do tell me.... All I can say is if your right then how do BB, TRU, and Target all say they are not losing any money when they hold the buy 2 get 1 free? Another one is, why does Amazon seem to always put a game that does not have good opening sales up on DOTD at $40? Last one being Tomb Raider for the PS4 and Xbone? You seriously can not think that they are selling the game for a loss 4 weeks after it came out? They are not because they pay less than $40 for the games. Why do you think all games are now $48 with GCU, not like BB is selling those for less than what they paid for them. Plus why am I the bad guy for pointing out that people are paying for a service that is no better than what other stores offer for free.

Case in point, this week Infamous was $48 and MGSV was $24 with a $15 card. That was coming out only because they were getting hammered by TRU that had a better deal. So why people think there is hardly any mark up on a $60 new game is beyond me. I mean it is not like we are talking about CD's, if we were then it would all be going digital.

I think what he means is, if you think Unlocked sucks so much why are you in this thread. Obviously the people with it find great value in it. With the Tomb Raider thing today, I turned $72 into $103. That wouldn't have been possible without my Unlocked. It pretty much makes everything else this year all money I save. I don't know anywhere where you can get a game the day it comes out for $48, and with the major releases you also get an extra $10 gift card.

such a hassle since they took out registers and condensed the game section but got it at customer service for $60

gotta use it on dat donkey kong next week B^)

Really? How? So if you know for a fact please do tell me.... All I can say is if your right then how do BB, TRU, and Target all say they are not losing any money when they hold the buy 2 get 1 free? Another one is, why does Amazon seem to always put a game that does not have good opening sales up on DOTD at $40? Last one being Tomb Raider for the PS4 and Xbone? You seriously can not think that they are selling the game for a loss 4 weeks after it came out? They are not because they pay less than $40 for the games. Why do you think all games are now $48 with GCU, not like BB is selling those for less than what they paid for them. Plus why am I the bad guy for pointing out that people are paying for a service that is no better than what other stores offer for free.

Case in point, this week Infamous was $48 and MGSV was $24 with a $15 card. That was coming out only because they were getting hammered by TRU that had a better deal. So why people think there is hardly any mark up on a $60 new game is beyond me. I mean it is not like we are talking about CD's, if we were then it would all be going digital.
cause it all about profit margins simple business and economics 101. best buy for example has only a 2.2% profit margin and Amazon has even less of a margin with only 0.94% only. Typically depending on game publisher and quantity ordered wholesale price going to be about $50 to $52 maybe more if it a Nintendo published game and maybe more based on quanity ordered. video games just like any other retail items have very low margin it not about how much is made off each one but volume sold which is what adds up and some publishers actually refund a store some of there money when a game is given a permanent price drop retailers wide which is why those games are able to even drop even lower at each various retailers discretion. let say best buy get a new release game that retail for $60 at $45 a piece wholesale now with gcu you the consumer will pay $48 that is only a $3 profit which doesn't sound like much but if let say even 50,000 copies are sold that still is a $150,000 profit even with only a $3 profit. and stores offer gift card offers sometime cause then that tie you into spending more at that specific retailer. it is basic business 101 cost of goods vs margins vs sell price and etc. grocery stores for examples have even lower sales margins usually only 3% profit margin cause like I said it about volume not individual prices.

google knows: http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/how-much-does-gamestop-wal-mart-amazon-get-their-video-games-for-at-wholesale-pricing.179921401/

i remember reading that margins on new games were ridiculously low, the person in that forum post confirms this....wholesale between 45-52 bucks for a 60 dollar game...depending on how many you order, other bonuses, etc.

it's called a loss leader son. get you in the door and go from there.

bread's done
Back