50% off Gamers Club Unlocked, 3/20/14 to 3/22/14

WuTangSwordsman

CAGiversary!
Fellow CAG Members,

If this has already been posted, my bad... However, for those of you who missed out on the deal before, it looks as if BB is giving you another shot. Just happened to run across this, so I thought I would pass it along just in case.

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Latest-Greatest/50-off-Gamers-Club-Unlocked-3-20-14-to-3-22-14/ba-p/798322

Being that I have saved so much with this site, I figured it was the least I could do to help some of you fellow CAGs out there looking for the deal! It is IN-STORE and only good for the dates posted in the Subject line... Good luck and possible YMMV!

Case in point, this week Infamous was $48 and MGSV was $24 with a $15 card.
How did you get the $15 gift card? Did you buy the game on release day in store, online, pre-ordered or what? I pre-ordered the game online for $24 and picked it up on release day. Didnt see anything about a $15 gift card offer. Please explain. Thanks.

As for GCU itself, its awesome. I have already made back the $45 I spent ($15 last summer to renew and the $30 two year extension this past February using the coupon that I received in the mail) and will continue to save money. Best of all, since I have a backlog, I have decided to wait until each game is on sale for $40 which makes it $32 plus tax. Once I finish the game and trade it in, it will cost me no more than $20 which in turn, allows me to purchase three games for the price of one $60 game. All I have to do is be patient and not buy on release day. Thankfully, my backlog actually helps me in this regard.

How did you get the $15 gift card? Did you buy the game on release day in store, online, pre-ordered or what? I pre-ordered the game online for $24 and picked it up on release day. Didnt see anything about a $15 gift card offer. Please explain. Thanks.
Yesterday n today only in store buy two Xbox one or ps4 games and get $15 gift card

Yesterday n today only in store buy two Xbox one or ps4 games and get $15 gift card
Oh okay. I thought it was just for MGS: GZ. Dont own an Xbox One or PS4 so this doesnt apply to me. Thanks for the info. I thought the guy received a $15 gift card just for purchasing MGS: GZ.

I signed up yesterday. When I went to print my coupons there was one that said I got a 10% off a digital game purchase coupon. Weirdly enough the coupon said that it was not valid on the website and is for in store items only.  Did this coupon show up for anyone else? What can I buy with this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I signed up yesterday. When I went to print my coupons there was one that said I got a 10% off a digital game purchase coupon. Weirdly enough the coupon said that it was not valid on the website and is for in store items only. Did this coupon show up for anyone else? What can I buy with this?
PSN, Xbox Live, Nintendo eShop cards

Really? How? So if you know for a fact please do tell me.... All I can say is if your right then how do BB, TRU, and Target all say they are not losing any money when they hold the buy 2 get 1 free? Another one is, why does Amazon seem to always put a game that does not have good opening sales up on DOTD at $40? Last one being Tomb Raider for the PS4 and Xbone? You seriously can not think that they are selling the game for a loss 4 weeks after it came out? They are not because they pay less than $40 for the games. Why do you think all games are now $48 with GCU, not like BB is selling those for less than what they paid for them. Plus why am I the bad guy for pointing out that people are paying for a service that is no better than what other stores offer for free.

Case in point, this week Infamous was $48 and MGSV was $24 with a $15 card. That was coming out only because they were getting hammered by TRU that had a better deal. So why people think there is hardly any mark up on a $60 new game is beyond me. I mean it is not like we are talking about CD's, if we were then it would all be going digital.
You're so stupid and argumentative that i'm not even going to bother to respond. Needless to say, all these answers are available with some research. But you are one of those people who start spouting off shit without any knowledge whatsoever so you can just stay ignorant.

Hmmm, guessing they'll run this promo again since clearly the buy-in price was too high and not doing well.  Didn't see this until just now and even though I could rush out and get in on it, I can't be motivated lol.  Can't say there's very many games I'm even looking to buy this year anyway.

I signed up yesterday. When I went to print my coupons there was one that said I got a 10% off a digital game purchase coupon. Weirdly enough the coupon said that it was not valid on the website and is for in store items only. Did this coupon show up for anyone else? What can I buy with this?
I use mine on the battlefield 4 premium code for ps4/ps3

Why did Nesboy43 say he got 20% off xbl points
It was on Newegg from a few days ago, there was 20% off "Windows Gift Cards" which worked as Xbox Live cash.

Something else I mentioned a few posts above though was that one of my "Welcome Coupons" to GCU was 10% off a digital purchase but it said "In Store Only". I'm still trying to figure out what I can buy with it.

It was on Newegg from a few days ago, there was 20% off "Windows Gift Cards" which worked as Xbox Live cash.

Something else I mentioned a few posts above though was that one of my "Welcome Coupons" to GCU was 10% off a digital purchase but it said "In Store Only". I'm still trying to figure out what I can buy with it.
yea im in the same boat cause it said up to $14.99 only which kind of limit it big time

So I went to Best Buy yesterday and bought 2 two-year memberships at the $60 rate, so 4 total years for $120. I've never been a member of GCU before, and the rep basically explained nothing. I log into Best Buy website and I see nothing reflecting my status as GCU. I go to my profile, and I found a line at the bottom of the page that tells me my Gamer's Club status, and underneath it says I'm a Free member, not paid GCU. I try buying a game online, and no discount.

Sounds like most people here have been a member before or are members now. Can anyone confirm to me if this is normal? How long do I have to wait before this will be reflected online so I can get discounts? I want to make purchases now, but I can't because it still shows I'm a free member.
I'm having the same issue, I'm guessing that maybe it takes a few days to process?

Kinda getting on my nerves though, I almost didn't get my discount on inFamous the other day...

mine showed as paid member online less than a hour after i bought it...  i checked when i got home because i saw people were having issues but not me

I signed up on Friday and still showing up as gc free. The rep had to manually adjust the sales price for infamous ss

man i told my self I didnt need this but woke up today and was bummed I didn't get it. Did the samething last time it was on sell

probably will happen next time it goes on sale

Im supposedly a memeber till 2018. Got greedy and only paid $15 the first time then $30 this weekend. *old flyers on display

Checked the website shows ive paid only till 2016. Called and was told they dont update their systems on weekends so probably explains why some people are still free members?

i got my coupons in email this morning... i signed up 5 minutes before closing last night
same... i got an email this morning linking me to my coupons.

Thinking about buying the Dark Souls 2 LE Guide but that's still almost 20 bucks. Does Best Buy reduce the prices on guides before they get pennied out? Do they still even penny guides out anymore?

If you price match something to BB, can you still get your 20% GCU discount taken off the top of the discounted price?  Thanks!

Great deal if buying Nintendo games as those rarely go on sale. Kind of hoping they do a $30 promo but I think $60 is all they're going to do. :(
Gets even better if they go thru with adding 3DS/Wii-U titles to the $10 promos along with other deals that were limited to PS3/PS4/360/XB1.
http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Best-Buy-IdeaX/Nintendo-Unlocked/idi-p/695535

I will bite when it hits 75% off.
This is the second 50% sale in like 5 weeks. To me that shows they are testing waters with a possible lower price point because they likely weren't getting many bites at the retail price. The ones who were willing to pony up $120 for it did from the jump.
You won`t see 75% anytime soon since the 50% has done so good. If they were better prepared with promoting the 1st 50% we might not even have had a 2nd chance. Plus at some point they gotta make money on the subs otherwise the 20% will be gone in 2 yrs.

50 games an year? Wow
Excluding the pre-ordering part 50 games in a yr across 4 systems actually seems "normal" if you`re a CAG reg. LOL $60 is AT LEAST 3 games vs a non CAG who blows $60 on just 1, it pays to be a smart shopper but man the backlog.

Thanks for letting me know about this. Went yesterday, although none of the employees didn't know what I was talking about it rung up perfectly fine. Traded in a bunch of games that I figured would dip in value fairly soon (ACIV, Tomb Raider, Thief, etc. for $44). Using that I picked up Tomb Raider, NBA 2K14, and Killzone all on the PS4 with the 20% off (plus got the $15 GC). Practically paid off the membership cost with all of the transactions that occurred. The employee was even nice enough to try price-matching other stores and see if it worked with the GCU, but obviously as we all know it doesn't work. Oh well, at least it was a pleasant experience and was able to get some stuff that I wanted.

I do agree with the few posts in regards to the value really only being there if you find yourself buying a handful of games each month at full retail price. Otherwise, most of the major titles are released around the holiday season, so there are usually great deals around there anyways. And we are all CAGers, so typically, we'll find the best deals for each other anyways. 

With Walmart in the "trade-in" business now...I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar pop up. 

man i told my self I didnt need this but woke up today and was bummed I didn't get it. Did the samething last time it was on sell

probably will happen next time it goes on sale
Look at it like this man: As many other members have said (including a couple in this very thread!) this is ultimately a waste of money, even at $60. It only works on new games that you don't PM and don't have any hardware bundled with it. Unless you are buying a ton of new games right at launch, or buy every last damn thing that's on sale, you'll really struggle to make your money back. These constant "sales" on the membership just drive that point home even more, obviously Best Buy is having a lot of trouble getting people to sign up.

Had GCU worked on items you price matched AND worked on movies/cds I would probably bite at $30, hell MAYBE even $60. But my roommate (who got it for $30) has found it to be a colossal waste of money thus far, and since he doesn't have a PS4/XB1 I doubt that's gonna change.

Damn, missed it again. I wonder if they'll run this deal a third time....
I'd count on it if we don't see $60 become the permenant price flat out. If GCU membership signups are as abysmal as everyone says they are I'll be surprised if they don't lower the price, radically alter the program (after all nothing says BB HAS to keep giving you 20% off games right?), or just end it flat out.

Last edited:
Look at it like this man: As many other members have said (including a couple in this very thread!) this is ultimately a waste of money, even at $60. It only works on new games that you don't PM and don't have any hardware bundled with it. Unless you are buying a ton of new games right at launch, or buy every last damn thing that's on sale, you'll really struggle to make your money back. These constant "sales" on the membership just drive that point home even more, obviously Best Buy is having a lot of trouble getting people to sign up.

Had GCU worked on items you price matched AND worked on movies/cds I would probably bite at $30, hell MAYBE even $60. But my roommate (who got it for $30) has found it to be a colossal waste of money thus far, and since he doesn't have a PS4/XB1 I doubt that's gonna change.

I'd count on it if we don't see $60 become the permenant price flat out. If GCU membership signups are as abysmal as everyone says they are I'll be surprised if they don't lower the price, radically alter the program (after all nothing says BB HAS to keep giving you 20% off games right?), or just end it flat out.
You are really bad at math.

In response to above, I'm fairly certain I'll be getting my money's worth out of his in the next 6 months. 20% really balances out the price of most CE games to be close to the standard release (titanfall and dark souls aside (but games like that make it MORE worth it)).

I'm also pretty confident in how GCU will help me take advantage of trade in and credit ops. To each his own, but as someone that just dropped 60 bucks I'm pretty stoked. This also doesn't even mention the rewards you get, which seems to be about another 10% returned on every $50 spent.

You are really bad at math.
How you came to that conclusion is beyond me since I didn't even use any math, and barely said anything more than what's already been said to death in other GCU threads. I guess you are just trying to insult me?

In response to above, I'm fairly certain I'll be getting my money's worth out of his in the next 6 months. 20% really balances out the price of most CE games to be close to the standard release (titanfall and dark souls aside (but games like that make it MORE worth it)).

I'm also pretty confident in how GCU will help me take advantage of trade in and credit ops. To each his own, but as someone that just dropped 60 bucks I'm pretty stoked. This also doesn't even mention the rewards you get, which seems to be about another 10% returned on every $50 spent.
That all goes back into "buying a ton of games at launch" post, since very few collector's editions seem to survive past maybe one price drop. Though how you say that brings them close to the standard releases is beyond me, since I don't think I've ever bought a CE under $100 which is still a $20 difference.

If you find yourself buying a ton of CE's then yeah it's certainly worth $60, I don't think anybody will debate that. But if the goal is to get your games as cheaply as possible then CE's aren't practical and neither is GCU for that matter.

Last edited:
The debate is endless on this topic, but ultimately it all depends on how much you use the discounts. If you buy new, buy used, and trade in a lot, it will probably be beneficial to you. If you don't, it won't.

And let's not forget, it's a 2 year membership. You aren't gonna make it all back in the first couple months.

The debate is endless on this topic, but ultimately it all depends on how much you use the discounts. If you buy new, buy used, and trade in a lot, it will probably be beneficial to you. If you don't, it won't.

And let's not forget, it's a 2 year membership. You aren't gonna make it all back in the first couple months.
If you do it right, you definitely can make it all back in a short period of time. I recouped 80% of my 2 year membership within days, and that doesn't include discounts/certs from my pending pre-orders.

I agree the debating is pointless. Just like with PUR, Prime, shoprunner, etc., it all depends on how and how much you'll use them.

If you do it right, you definitely can make it all back in a short period of time. I recouped 80% of my 2 year membership within days, and that doesn't include discounts/certs from my pending pre-orders.

I agree the debating is pointless. Just like with PUR, Prime, shoprunner, etc., it all depends on how and how much you'll use them.
I guess I made my money back as well within the first few days. $12 off inFamous, $8 off PvZ:GW, $15 gift card back for buying both of those, almost $10 off the Titanfall controller for buying it with a game, $4 extra trade-in on Black Flag, and $12 back from Ibotta on the $100+ purchase. It cuts both ways though, as I never would have purchased any of that without all the discounts.

That all goes back into "buying a ton of games at launch" post, since very few collector's editions seem to survive past maybe one price drop.
If you find yourself buying a ton of CE's then yeah it's certainly worth $60, I don't think anybody will debate that. But if the goal is to get your games as cheaply as possible then CE's aren't practical and neither is GCU for that matter.
Here`s where you`re completely wrong
1-"tons of games"
2-"at launch"
3-"tons of CE`s"
4-"Goal to get your games as cheaply as possible"

#1 & #3 can be disproved by just 1 game Titanfall CE. $50 off(+ the tax on the $50), 2x rz pts on $200($5) & the $10 pre-order credit. So that`s 1 game & $65ish in value. Oh, & add the 120 pts from joining & you get another $5 rz.

#2 & #4 can be disproved by the same strategy the naysayers are using "waiting for the cheapest price". Ok, so they wait 6-10 months or till black friday. I just wait 3-4 weeks for a $40 sale @ BB then GCU makes the game damn near 50% off which would be about right for blac friday. But here`s another GCU 1 up to waiting that long, when I`m done with the game 6-10 months earlier & the base TIV anywhere is better plus I get that 10% bonus.

People get too stuck on the $12 off $60 games or the "I`m locked into BB for 2 yrs" crap & overthink it completely. There`s a very small % of people who won`t get full value outta 2 yrs of GCU & it gets even smaller when the sub has been available for $30 or $60. If you`re a person completely upgrading to next gen the 10% bump could make a huge dent in the sub cost too.

So I purchased GCU on Friday, but it didn't actually attach to my account right.  It didn't give me 20% off new games, and didn't add 10% to my trade-ins automatically.  I never received the welcome email, and I was still showing up as a "free" member on the website.  I'm assuming it was the same problem another CAG mentioned earlier in this thread, that the Best Buy cashier rang up GCU, canceled it off the screen, then rang it up again.  Apparently Best Buy doesn't handle digital purchases well when that happens.

Regardless, I walked into Best Buy today to complain about this problem and ask for them to fix it.  The customer service guy said he couldn't do it himself, so he call the customer service line for me.  We went through about 5 or 6 CSRs, and got hung up on twice.  At this point I had wasted plenty of my time, so I just asked the store customer service guy if he could ring up a gift card and purchase GCU for me again with that, thereby activating the membership.  He agreed to do that for me, and I checked with a new game and verified that the discount was applying right.

Well anyway, lo and behold, I get online to check my account status and see that it not only activated my GCU membership, but also extended it for two extra years.  I'm now good through March 2018.  A lot of wasted time on this endeavor, but at least I got a bit of a reward for it.

So I purchased GCU on Friday, but it didn't actually attach to my account right. It didn't give me 20% off new games, and didn't add 10% to my trade-ins automatically. I never received the welcome email, and I was still showing up as a "free" member on the website. I'm assuming it was the same problem another CAG mentioned earlier in this thread, that the Best Buy cashier rang up GCU, canceled it off the screen, then rang it up again. Apparently Best Buy doesn't handle digital purchases well when that happens.

Regardless, I walked into Best Buy today to complain about this problem and ask for them to fix it. The customer service guy said he couldn't do it himself, so he call the customer service line for me. We went through about 5 or 6 CSRs, and got hung up on twice. At this point I had wasted plenty of my time, so I just asked the store customer service guy if he could ring up a gift card and purchase GCU for me again with that, thereby activating the membership. He agreed to do that for me, and I checked with a new game and verified that the discount was applying right.

Well anyway, lo and behold, I get online to check my account status and see that it not only activated my GCU membership, but also extended it for two extra years. I'm now good through March 2018. A lot of wasted time on this endeavor, but at least I got a bit of a reward for it.
Same thing happened to me, only I didn't ask them to do it, the guy at customer service said it probably didn't register like it should and purchased another membership for $0, this happened yesterday.

He made me login in his computer and the membership was good until 2016, so I left BB with the thought that probably the other membership would kick in sometime in the future.

And yep it did, checked today and it's good until 2018

I told you guys all about this.   If you didn't get the membership immediately then they rang it up wrong and would need to refund/recharge to get it to apply.

bread's done
Back