A Multitude of DS/GBA Questions

Admiral Moo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Hi all,

My girlfriend has expressed a sudden interest in having a Nintendo handheld so she can play some Pokemon. However, she only wants to start out with a Pokemon that will let her get Pikachu.

So my question to you, ladies and gents, is this: which system should I get her for this purpose, and more importantly, is there a GBA/DS version of Pokemon that has Pikachu in it?

I'm afraid I am terribly ignorant of the handheld market, but I do own a Wii, so that's gotta count for something, right?:lol:

All of this research has gotten me very interested in a DS Lite too. I think my Wii may need a little brother to keep it company. Thanks for all of the help!

Go buy Pokemon Emerald for GBA

Get a DS Lite, it can play both GBA and DS titles

Play Pokemon Emerald to your heart's fill. Catch a Pikachu somewhere along your adventuring

Go buy Pokemon Pearl / Diamond

Migrate your Pikachu from Pokemon Emerald to Pokemon Pearl / Diamond for maximum gains

[quote name='Pijaibros']Go buy Pokemon Emerald for GBA

Get a DS Lite, it can play both GBA and DS titles

Play Pokemon Emerald to your heart's fill. Catch a Pikachu somewhere along your adventuring

Go buy Pokemon Pearl / Diamond

Migrate your Pikachu from Pokemon Emerald to Pokemon Pearl / Diamond for maximum gains[/QUOTE]

Why Emerald? Pikachu is not common in that game. Pikachu is common in Diamond/ Pearl.

I would be willing to trade her a pikachu if she wanted one right at the start since I don't think you can get it till later on at trophy garden.

the pikachu at trophy garden are kinda useless because they dont know thundershock. You need to catch one from leaf green/fire red if you want a good pikachu

Allow me to answer the questions more appropriately.

For the Game Boy Advance, you have the options of Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed and LeafGreen. For the DS, there's the option of either Diamond or Pearl. All of these versions have some manner of capturing Pikachu.

So it really doesn't matter which version she gets. All of the have Pikachu in it. :)

Absolutely every version of Pokemon in handheld format has allowed the capture of Pikachu. Even the spin-off title, Mystery Dungeon, allows one to start off as a Pikachu.

the probelem is unless you catch one at Viridian Forest in the Leaf Green or Fire Red, the Pikachu level will be too high. You wont get high level pokemon to obey you if you are just starting out.

That actually only applies to traded Pokemon and the amount of badges you have compared to the one who trades the Pokemon.

Thanks for all of the replies!

Well, I think for the moment I am going to go with the cheapest way out here and get either a Game Boy Advance or a Game Boy Micro.

If she really likes it, we can always trade it in and upgrade to a DS.

So now the question is, which one is better, the GBA or the Micro?

That's what I'm leaning towards at the moment.

One quick question about DS vs. DS Lite. Are they compatible with each other? What I mean is, can you set up a local network between and DS and a DS lite and play a game like tetris between the two?

[quote name='Admiral Moo']That's what I'm leaning towards at the moment.

One quick question about DS vs. DS Lite. Are they compatible with each other? What I mean is, can you set up a local network between and DS and a DS lite and play a game like tetris between the two?[/QUOTE]
yes

Only differences between DS and DS Lite are the cosmetic changes, the DS has better sound due there being more holes in the casing for the speakers and the Lite has a brighter screen.

[quote name='Tsukento']Allow me to answer the questions more appropriately.

For the Game Boy Advance, you have the options of Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed and LeafGreen. For the DS, there's the option of either Diamond or Pearl. All of these versions have some manner of capturing Pikachu.

So it really doesn't matter which version she gets. All of the have Pikachu in it. :)

Absolutely every version of Pokemon in handheld format has allowed the capture of Pikachu. Even the spin-off title, Mystery Dungeon, allows one to start off as a Pikachu.[/QUOTE]

Well if you want to uber bestest Pikachu, wait for Battle Revolution. You win a surfing Pikachu for beating the game.

If she likes Pikachu so much, I would really suggest Mystery Dungeon. I didn't pick Pikachu as my main character, but as my partner, purely because I like Pikachu (that damn anime!). It was amusing to have Pikachu talking to me and appealing to my better senses.

Just get a DS Lite. The GBA is dead, and costs way too much compared to what the DS and PSP cost.

If you absolutely have to get a GBA, get a GBA-SP. It's a MUCH better form factor, much bigger screen, and it runs GB and GBC games. (There are two versions out there-the original with a reflective screen that's dimmer, but is useable outside. The updated version-probably says "brighter screen" on the box-which is brighter like the DS and PSP, but is much harder to see outside (like the DS and PSP).

And yes, the DS and DS Lite are exactly the same system aside from new screens and a new form factor. They didn't even update the menu system, let alone do anything to make them incompatible.

It's only $80 for a new SP, compared to DS Lite being $130. o_O;

...Way too much compared to what a PSP costs? Wow. No comment. Especially considering how much a PSP with all the necessities will actually cost you.

[quote name='Tsukento']It's only $80 for a new SP, compared to DS Lite being $130. o_O;

...Way too much compared to what a PSP costs? Wow. No comment. Especially considering how much a PSP with all the necessities will actually cost you.[/QUOTE]

$80 for a dead system when $50 more gets you the new system that plays all the old games? That's a rip off. Ditto for the PSP. It would be as silly as buying an X-Box 1 instead of a 360/PS3. Yeah the latter cost more, but the former is dead.

The ACTUAL price of a GBA-SP is $80 + the cost of either a DS or PSP once you realize you need a new system.

[quote name='Wolfpup']$80 for a dead system when $50 more gets you the new system that plays all the old games? That's a rip off. Ditto for the PSP. It would be as silly as buying an X-Box 1 instead of a 360/PS3. Yeah the latter cost more, but the former is dead.

The ACTUAL price of a GBA-SP is $80 + the cost of either a DS or PSP once you realize you need a new system.[/quote]
A GBA SP is fine for someone who wants a Nintendo handheld on a whim, especially if her main want is to play Pokemon games with Pikachu in it. Yes, the DS is better... but they can always upgrade later and sell the SP. I believe the SP still sells for around $50.00 on the 'bay.

If you want Pokemon though, it makes more sense to get Diamond/Pearl. As someone pointed out, it's apparently easier to actually get a real Pickachu in those games anyway.
I don't understand the value in buying a system with no future potential.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I don't understand the value in buying a system with no future potential.[/quote]
Some people don't exactly follow with the industry like most people do. Just because a system is dying or no longer being supported doesn't mean one shouldn't get it. In fact, many people do this. It's how I got my Dreamcast for dirt cheap when Sega announced they weren't supporting it any longer. There's even people who are now just buying GameCubes because they can't find any Wii in stock and are able to get some games at an affordable price.

And my concern is that if all she wants to do is play Pokemon, there's no real need in buying a DS for one or two pokemon games.

If she gets hooked, then by all means we can trade it in and get a DS.

I for one am now on a quest to get a DS anyway, so she'll probably end up stealing mine from time to time.

Thanks for all of the replies. I actually might get her the SP just because it can play all of the old game boy games as well.

[quote name='Admiral Moo']And my concern is that if all she wants to do is play Pokemon, there's no real need in buying a DS for one or two pokemon games.

If she gets hooked, then by all means we can trade it in and get a DS.

I for one am now on a quest to get a DS anyway, so she'll probably end up stealing mine from time to time.

Thanks for all of the replies. I actually might get her the SP just because it can play all of the old game boy games as well.[/quote]

If you got Pokemon Yellow for the GameBoy Color, she starts out as Pikachu. :cool:

The Micro's screen is really tiny. Very hard to read on the Pokemon games.

Toys R Us sell a Yellow Pikachu edition GBA SP with the brighter screen for $79.99.

The SP with the brighter screen (Pearl Blue, Pearl Pink or the Pikachu version) may be the most perfect handheld ever made.

img10573937704.jpeg

[quote name='Nephilim']The Micro's screen is really tiny. Very hard to read on the Pokemon games.

Toys R Us sell a Yellow Pikachu edition GBA SP with the brighter screen for $79.99.

The SP with the brighter screen (Pearl Blue, Pearl Pink or the Pikachu version) may be the most perfect handheld ever made.

img10573937704.jpeg
[/quote]

Holy crap, I didnt even know they made those. That is the sweetest GBA ever.

bread's done
Back