Adaptec AVC_1400 Gamebridge $2.99 shipped w/GC at Buy.com

There's no way I'd use my Gamebridge with a 360 or other HD system. It's not going to look as good in general as a good TV, let alone HD.

Unless this is a laptop, just connect the 360 to the monitor using VGA.

Yea, for HD you have to go with either the official VGA cables, or use something like this, http://www.x2vga.com/

Gamebridge is nice for something like Wii and last gen, or just recording your gameplay in shitty quality.

I wanted this just for capturing video from Halo 3 using their new film editor. I won't actually be playing the game using this (I use the VGA cables). It will be much easier to capture using this than breaking out my camcorder that can also capture analog video. I could never get this under $10 with Fry's/Outpost because of tax & shipping. This was a great deal. Thanks OP!

I'll get this, should be handy for my PS2 and Gamecube since I dont have next-gen systems.

I'll need to sign up a new GMail account tonight once I can create a new VCC#.

I bought this with the Fry's deal back in January or February. The quality is awful on a computer screen, and there's a little delay in response time when you press a button on the controller, etc. Good to record footage though, I guess.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's awful, at least on my system. You need to make sure that you're using S-Video though, and keep in mind that it's blowing up a low resolution image to HD. Sitting a ways back from the screen helps.

It's usable, and worth trying since it's so cheap, if you have a need for it. Like playing older consoles in locations without a TV... :D

Would never want or need to rely on it for primary gameplay, but works great for capturing adequate-quality gameplay vids, images, etc from favorite savepoints or the like. I have s-video cables for each system lying around for swapping in for capture.

Note that there is input and audio lag in actual play, but that doesn't show up in your recorded videos. For 360, I leave input on at 16:9 even though displaying 4:3. Again, good for recording but not ideal for actual playing.

The input lag is VERY minimal-well under a second, and it's pretty subtle. I noticed no audio lag (I've heard it varies depending on the speed of your system-and I'm using an old system). Also you can just plug the audio connection directly into your computer's line in instead of the Gamebridge, which would eliminate any lag of that sort.

I have played through several Playstation 2 games using it.

Input lag remains a problem, however minimal. It may not hurt every game, but even a minor input delay can and does keep you from optimum gameplay in something like Shadow Hearts games (with pinpoint precision needed for "Perfects"). Your typical turn-based rpg though doesn't require any skill-based precision or extreme timing, so they are never a problem--and are thus the main things I restrict myself to when actively recording.

Audio lag can obviously be bypassed by simply not using the Gamebridge for audio (I've played it a couple times piping audio through a separate stereo system), but that defeats audio for active recordings.

Regardless, while noting the device's imperfections, it is worth picking up at this price for anyone to experiment with.

[quote name='H22A']Input lag remains a problem, however minimal. It may not hurt every game, but even a minor input delay can and does keep you from optimum gameplay in something like Shadow Hearts games (with pinpoint precision needed for "Perfects"). Your typical turn-based rpg though doesn't require any skill-based precision or extreme timing, so they are never a problem--and are thus the main things I restrict myself to when actively recording.

Audio lag can obviously be bypassed by simply not using the Gamebridge for audio (I've played it a couple times piping audio through a separate stereo system), but that defeats audio for active recordings.

Regardless, while noting the device's imperfections, it is worth picking up at this price for anyone to experiment with.[/quote]

you guys are using the software that comes with the adaptec its garbage, download dscaler if your planning to just play on your pc monitor, and if you want to capture video download virtualdub mpeg2 both of these are freeware. i've never had an issue with lag using these programs

Can I play through a regular TV, and then capture the output of my TV to my computer? All I want to do is use this to record gameplay (for machinama and pwnage montages).

[quote name='devildr1ver']you guys are using the software that comes with the adaptec its garbage, download dscaler if your planning to just play on your pc monitor, and if you want to capture video download virtualdub mpeg2 both of these are freeware. i've never had an issue with lag using these programs[/QUOTE]

I disagree with that too. I've had no issues with the included software. It's easy to use, and for me, worked as well as dscaler, except without having to configure confusing settings (which mostly just slowed things down on dscaler).

[quote name='PyroGamer']Can I play through a regular TV, and then capture the output of my TV to my computer? All I want to do is use this to record gameplay (for machinama and pwnage montages).[/QUOTE]

No, not unless your TV has video output, which I've never heard of before.

[quote name='devildr1ver']download virtualdub mpeg2 both of these are freeware. i've never had an issue with lag using these programs[/QUOTE]

Nice. Tried it and build 1.6.19 just would not interface reliably with the Gamebridge audio, but these known problems with Gamebridge are addressed by 1.7.2 exp.

So so far the latter is working great for me in both audio/video, though those considering this remember that this is tagged an experimental build.

Ah, poo. I signed up a new account with a virtual credit card and it didn't apply the discount. I guess GCO references the cardholder's name and if it matches against redeemed bonuses then future discounts are invalid.

No Gamebridge for me.

I've purchased a few different capture devices for my computers and have found that this cheap little POS does the job better than the ones I spent $120 and $70 on.

Yes there is lag. No it is not designed to be played real time. It does great at capturing TV.

hey guys, i have a problem and im looking for some feedback.

i recently moved from the states to sweden. having played video games for most of my 31 years, one of the "conditions" of moving was that i get to bring all of my games. because of the frequency differences here i cant hook up my ps2/gc/xbox to the tv. is it worth buying this to play games thru the computer monitor or is there another product i should be looking at?

I'm not sure, but it's possible an HD TV sold over there MIGHT be able to handle NTSC (I'm assuming they use PAL?...actually I have no idea what Sweden uses).

Beyond that...hmm...I was going to say buying a PS3 or 360 might let you play those games on a TV over there, except that the games would have region lock out.

bread's done
Back