Advance Wars is like crack ...

geigerm

CAGiversary!
I sat down around 5:00 or so, thinking I'd just play a mission or two of Advance Wars: Dual Strike, which I just started playing yesterday. (I'm a little behind, having just gotten my DS in August and not having more than an hour a day to play it. My backlog seems to be growing by the minute.)

2 hours later ... I'm finally able to pry my fingers off of my DS, and I'm looking around my condo thinking, "Where the hell did the time go?!?" My arms are actually kind of cramped from holding the DS in the same position for too long. I love the game, but they should probably package it with a warning label to let you know that it can be juuuuust a little addictive.

Hehe, the system has a number of those games for me. I call them "Red Lighters" -- games that I just keep playing till that happy green light turns to the angry red light. Sometimes I take it as a cue to take a break, other times I just plug it in and keep going.

"Red Lighters" for me:
- Mario Kart DS
- Castlevania: DoS
- Sonic Rush
- New Super Mario Bros.
- Meteos

[quote name='geigerm']they should probably package it with a warning label to let you know that it can be juuuuust a little addictive.[/quote]there is a warning label. it should be somewhere on your game cover. it's a logo that looks like this:
dslogo.jpg

Let's see what games I've lost significant hours to...

Jump Superstars
Ouendan
Animal Crossing: Wild World
Phoenix Wright
Trauma Center
Metroid Prime Pinball
Meteos
Mario Kart DS
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow

[quote name='furyk']Let's see what games I've lost hours to...

Jump Superstars
Ouendan
Animal Crossing: Wild World
Phoenix Wright
Trauma Center
Metroid Prime Pinball
Meteos
Mario Kart DS
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon[/QUOTE]

Ahh yes Phoenix Wright... for me it was just one more case after finishing one. Couldn't stop playing it at all.

[quote name='LancerEvoX']Ahh yes Phoenix Wright... for me it was just one more case after finishing one. Couldn't stop playing it at all.[/QUOTE]

It's like a good novel really. You can put it down at any time you want, but usually you end up playing until the end of the chapter.

[quote name='banpeikun']there is a warning label. it should be somewhere on your game cover. it's a logo that looks like this:
dslogo.jpg
[/quote]

Ah, man, I knew that logo signaled trouble. I just forgot, since I had been playing M&L:SS--the GBA games might be slightly less addicting. I mean, come on, every time the game gets to be too much, you can look at the blank screen and clear your head. No such luck with the DS games.

Today's episode reminds me of the hours I've blown playing Command & Conquer games--build a tank here, an infantry unit there, and the next thing you know, the whole afternoon's gone.

That's the last time the DS gets the best of me ... today.

[quote name='hootie']Phoenix Wright>Every other game ever made[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't go that far. It is in my top ten DS games right now, but I can't really say it's the greatest game of all time.

[quote name='hootie']Phoenix Wright>Every other game ever made[/quote]

Well, based on the comments in this thread, I'm not buying that one unless I've got a few days available.

Anyone else playing Clubhouse Games? Some of those missions I'm finding pretty tough!!! Talk about addictive...

...or anal...lol...

[quote name='geigerm']I sat down around 5:00 or so, thinking I'd just play a mission or two of Advance Wars: Dual Strike, which I just started playing yesterday. (I'm a little behind, having just gotten my DS in August and not having more than an hour a day to play it. My backlog seems to be growing by the minute.)

2 hours later ... I'm finally able to pry my fingers off of my DS, and I'm looking around my condo thinking, "Where the hell did the time go?!?" My arms are actually kind of cramped from holding the DS in the same position for too long. I love the game, but they should probably package it with a warning label to let you know that it can be juuuuust a little addictive.[/quote]

This reminds me of the time during this past summer where I layed down in bed with Advance Wars (for GBA) at around 2 AM, thought I had just been playing for an hour and a half, peaked out of my blinds and saw sunlight at 7 AM.

When I finally got Advance Wars DS I played it for 6 hours straight at work one time (hurray for box office during the day at a small movie theater!).

[quote name='keithp']Anyone else playing Clubhouse Games? Some of those missions I'm finding pretty tough!!! Talk about addictive...

...or anal...lol...[/quote]

Ha, pretty tough? I was playing Solitaire in Stamp mode from 9pm to 2am, and I didn't even fuck ing win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That pissed my off soooooo much......:bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::twoguns::twoguns::headache:fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck !!!!

Haha, yeah...I'm stuck on the bowling one where you have to knock the 5 pins down one at a time...makes me want to scream sometimes!!....

Seriously, those missions are far from easy. I think most of them require extreme luck. I spent so many goddamn hours on them and failing every single time, but I want that goddamn kitty emblem!

Some of the missions are just fucking retarded in Clubhouse Games. It's really annoying playing "I Doubt It" when the computer makes a call before you even have a chance to.

[quote name='geigerm']I sat down around 5:00 or so, thinking I'd just play a mission or two of Advance Wars: Dual Strike, which I just started playing yesterday. (I'm a little behind, having just gotten my DS in August and not having more than an hour a day to play it. My backlog seems to be growing by the minute.)

2 hours later ... I'm finally able to pry my fingers off of my DS, and I'm looking around my condo thinking, "Where the hell did the time go?!?" My arms are actually kind of cramped from holding the DS in the same position for too long. I love the game, but they should probably package it with a warning label to let you know that it can be juuuuust a little addictive.[/quote]
I freaking love advance wars and I've only played the first GBA one. it's one of those games where you go...oh, let me do a level... [2 hrs later] why did I think I could control my self?

I can relate. You are not alone.

I have played a ton of advance wars recently too.. such a good game. Made a 2 hour car ride this weekend and a 4 hour one the weekend before fly by. Thank god my roomate was driving.

[quote name='keithp']Yep, already passed that one! :D[/quote]

Heh, I just finished both of them a couple of minutes ago. And I did both Bowling mission :)

I STILL CANNOT BEAT SOLITAIRE IN STAMP MODE!!:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Getting on topic, yes Advance Wars is freaking addicting, I got rid of it a few months ago, but I am getting it either this week or next week again

This thread reminds me just how much I enjoy my DS... I wouldent be suprised if I end up enjoying it more than the "next-gen" consoles...

I only have the second game in the Advance Wars series, I wouldn't mind checking it out for the DS. It's a damn shame my Circuit City didn't have any copies when they were on clearance there.

[quote name='yukine']I only have the second game in the Advance Wars series, I wouldn't mind checking it out for the DS. It's a damn shame my Circuit City didn't have any copies when they were on clearance there.[/QUOTE]

GGC at Best Buy puts it at $15. Sure, it's 5 bucks higher then the CC clearance price, but it's well worth the $15 it'd cost new there.

Advance Wars is addicting, though I have to allot time before hand to play it. To beat a mission, I usually have to play through and lose once or twice to develop a strategy. I've only had to resort to a strategy guide once, on Mission 17: Spiral Garden. Lost it over and over and over again.

[quote name='yukine']I only have the second game in the Advance Wars series, I wouldn't mind checking it out for the DS. It's a damn shame my Circuit City didn't have any copies when they were on clearance there.[/QUOTE]

I've only got the first one, which I'm still playing, but I'm sure I'll get the DS version too at some point. I've only heard positive things about it!

Man, the two things there aren't enough of--money to buy and time to play...especially this time of the year...

[quote name='keithp']I've only got the first one, which I'm still playing, but I'm sure I'll get the DS version too at some point. I've only heard positive things about it!

Man, the two things there aren't enough of--money to buy and time to play...especially this time of the year...[/QUOTE]

agreed with that. dual strike had me on for 5 hours. just gaining the ranks were more time consuming enough..and then the missions. i have the other two adwance wars and it gets better with every sequel.

The DS sucked any of sleep i ever had left. i would just have to drain it and not charge it to get some sleep. so i know how you feel about AW:DS.

games i lost hourse and my life too are:
Trauma Center
Castlevania-DoS
Phoenix WRIGHT
Trace Memory
NSMB
Ouendon
Metroid Prime Hunters
Rocket Slime
Big Brain Academy

I love Advance Wars, but the only thing I absolutely do not like about it is multiplayer. One 3 person FFA match in the first gba version took like 2 hours to complete [it was a super small map too]... Me and my friends never ventured down the vs mode ever again.

[quote name='halu102']I love Advance Wars, but the only thing I absolutely do not like about it is multiplayer. One 3 person FFA match in the first gba version took like 2 hours to complete [it was a super small map too]... Me and my friends never ventured down the vs mode ever again.[/QUOTE]

the dual strike multiplayer is tens times better. i think its up to 4 with each having 2 COs. you get the variations from small to gigantic maps. you may want to try that.

Good game. Am on mission 9 now I believe. But I do agree that it usually takes a long time for me to play a mission. Have to lose it 2x or 3x first before I figure out what I need to be doing.

Phoenix Wright killed me. I couldn't put that game down.

And lately Castlevania has been 0wn1ng me. Blasted through Aria of Sorrow and now I need to do the multiple endings of Dawn of Sorrow.

That is if the 3 games I just bought at TRU don't take over (Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, and Rocket Slime). Oh yeah, I also have Ouendan coming in the mail (it'll prob. show up today) and I want to buy Contact.

I'm really in trouble. All the PC games I have to play are bad enough.

-HM

[quote name='Hollow Man']Good game. Am on mission 9 now I believe. But I do agree that it usually takes a long time for me to play a mission. Have to lose it 2x or 3x first before I figure out what I need to be doing.

Phoenix Wright killed me. I couldn't put that game down.

And lately Castlevania has been 0wn1ng me. Blasted through Aria of Sorrow and now I need to do the multiple endings of Dawn of Sorrow.

That is if the 3 games I just bought at TRU don't take over (Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, and Rocket Slime). Oh yeah, I also have Ouendan coming in the mail (it'll prob. show up today) and I want to buy Contact.

I'm really in trouble. All the PC games I have to play are bad enough.

-HM[/quote]

That's where I am in AW: DS as well; just finished level 8 last night. I've been lucky so far, though, in that the only level I've had to repeat was the first one--I lost my tanks early and got my ass kicked. It really reminds me of a slower-paced Command & Conquer, and I always wanted extra time to think in those games. Heck, the lack of time is probably the reason I could never beat the darn things (but I'm still going to go back and try).

I tend to single-mindedly play one game until I beat it (with occasional Tetris breaks), which means I'm not getting through ANYTHING else right now. Just finished M&L: SS--I put 21 hours into that--and I temporarily gave up on the Castlevania Double Pack 'cause I couldn't get anywhere in HoD--couldn't find a save point if my life depended on it. And considering that I have several DS/GBA games sitting around unopened and unplayed (NSMB, M&L: PiT, Mega Man ZX, FFIV, LoZ: MC) ... and I really want to go back and beat some of the PC games I could never finish (FFVII, several C&C games) ... I really shouldn't buy anything new for the next several months. The chances of that happening, of course, are slim to none. Damn this site ...

Question for those who have played multiple Advance Wars offerings--if you've started with the DS game, like I have, is it still worth going back and playing the GBA versions at some point?

I never got into advance wars as much as fire emblem (loved that game), the thing is if you ever lose a unit you can replace it, but in FE everyone must stay alive O_O ah i lost so many hours to that game

I think the DS is the system that has sucked more of my life away than any previous system I've owned. Lately Clubhouse games has been forcing me to walk around like a zombie with no sleep. I keep telling myself one more game, but that turns into 20 more games. Hopefully the Wii doesn't have the same effect or were all doomed.

Advance Wars: DS is amazingly great. I love the maps that let you build up your army before actually having to engage in combat and end up taking around 30-40 days in-game to beat.

So, I guess the obvious question is, what's everybody's AW: DS rank? I'm on bronze right now (third statue out of four) with about 120 stars out of 300 (I think). 70+ hours of pure fun!

Also, in case you didn't know, try inserting the GBA games into your DS and go to Hachi to buy maps. You'll be able to unlock a couple of super cheap items and get a nice message from Hachi.

[quote name='Scobie']So, I guess the obvious question is, what's everybody's AW: DS rank? I'm on bronze right now (third statue out of four) with about 120 stars out of 300 (I think). 70+ hours of pure fun![/quote] I'm on steel with 60 some medals, roughly 35 hours. This game is giving Castlevania a run for its money for my #1 DS game.

I never got too into AW1, never played AW2, but I'm absolutely loving AWDS. If the next AW has online WiFi I think it will hands down be the best game on the DS.

[quote name='mrchainsaw']If the next AW has online WiFi I think it will hands down be the best game on the DS.[/quote]

:drool:

Oh man....that would be the coolest thing ever

As long as the CPU would take the players spot if they disconnect, because I bet a lot of people would just quit once they are about to lose, seeing as how some battles could last 50+ minutes

50+ minutes? Try *hours*! It's so easy to get in a complete quagmire when playing with human opponents.

If they do WFC play on the next Advance Wars, it'll probably be the weak real-time combat mode only.

[quote name='integralsmatic']the dual strike multiplayer is tens times better. i think its up to 4 with each having 2 COs. you get the variations from small to gigantic maps. you may want to try that.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I understand multiplayer is great, but the sheer length of the matches. If it's an even bigger map, that'll most likely up the play time for one match to the power of 10. I think I'll pass on the multiplayer, and I doubt anyone will have the patience to play this game online, unless you are truly an Advance Wars addict, which you can tell from my posts I am not.

But don't get me wrong, the game is definitely awesome. But I think it's only crack status for those who love this genre or gamestyle and for those with the patience to stay awake throughout hour+ long matches.

As for the Fire Emblem series, I just dislike it. Because you lose a character and no longer can play him/her for the remainder of the game, I think is the big obvious downside to it. It was probably implemented like this because they want to ramp up the difficulty. But I'm sure they could've thought of some other way to do this. The losing characters aspect I think just turns the game into a chore where the person becomes infatuated with saving every single character. To me, that doesn't sound like too much fun... [based on watching my friend play gcube Fire Emblem]

i just got it today for $7.97 at Seares and cant put it down!

I thought I wouldnt enjoy it but its a great game!

I *LOVED* the original one, and thought it was one of the best strategy games ever made (still do). Remember the Penny Arcade guys talking about playing WHILE playing a PC game? :D

It's one of those rare games that just makes technology look pointless. I mean it's as addictive as anything on the 360 (though in general I do think more technology can lead to better and more interesting/deeper games).

But...I *HATED* Advance Wars 2. It started off HARDER than the first game ended. I gave up a few missions in, and because of that, I skipped Advance Wars: DS. I seriously wondered if I had made a mistake buying it at Circuit City for $7 or whatever.

Until I started playing it this week.

It's a million times better than the second one so far-it's back to the difficulty and insanely great design of the first one. I love the enhanced graphics. I love the second screen (one of the few games it's actually doing anything).

I thought the perfect "pure" strategy simplicity of the first one was going to be wrecked by throwing in tons of new stuff, but it's not! Having a second CO doesn't change much or make it harder, but it adds a bit. The new units (new to me anyway) are nice and don't seem to break anything. The dual strike missions with two fronts are REALLY fun rather than being frustrating.

Basically all the new stuff just gives them more options for building interesting new missions. It's like how fog of war isn't used in most maps-it's just one extra thing they can use (I love that too about the series how they occasionally use it, and really don't bother with an explanation for why it's only there some of the time-it's just fun to use it occasionally, that's why!)

My only issue is that the touch screen support is totally worthless. I don't care per se, but I'd hate to see more games require touch screen support when it doesn't work well, or require you to do a combination of both for no reason (Advance Wars isn't like that, but I'm just saying there ARE some DS games like that).

Anyway, this game is indeed insanely addictive. It takes a real effort of will to quit playing. It's SOOOO easy to say "just one more round".

Completly disagree with most of the other games people have listed as being in the same category. Phoenix Wright? I like that it came out here. It was a neat change of pace. But I was kind of sick of it by the end of the second case. I certainly don't care about playing any a sequel. Mario Kart has never done anything for me. I don't like the multiplayer, and the single player has extremely little content. Animal Crossing was fun the first time, but I can't play it again, and even on the 'Cube it never reached Advance Wars addiction to me. I mostly played it 'cause I had to keep playing it, and eventually quit after a few months when the fun was overpowered by just a responsibility to keep playing.

One game that did fit in the addiction category for me was Card Fighter's Clash on the NGPC. Like AW, it's just pure, perfect gameplay. Can't wait to play the DS one (and I hope they don't break it...)

bread's done
Back