Advice on getting a 97-99 eclipse, thanks for all the tips CAG's!

Well, it's all about staying in your class. I'm not going to run drag at the track with my Eclipse against a big block, I'd run against a Honda or something. American muscle are strong gas gusslers, compact imports are speedy and economically inclined. Different tastes for different people. Quit being so biased.

I honestly don't see many more-so-cosmetic imports around me. I mean, the guy being a mechanic probably sees more than the majority, but the others just tend to assume.

At any rate, I don't really know the difference between the 97-99 GST's.

Like i was saying I favor imports, but that does not mean i am a dumbass ricer who watches fast and the furious too much. Not that anyone implied anything, i am just saying. My definition of ricer= a retard that has tacky taste in custimizing their cars looks , and doesn't really care for performance. Some people are so dumb though.....I mean please learn a little about cars, and get a better sense of taste before you go out popping on a muffler that is 4 inches in diameter. Disconnecting any intake/ehxhaust sensory equipment will not improve performance. Also i believe show cars have stickers on their cars because those are the damned people that sponsored them by giving them parts for their car. Putting stickers on you car for fun, and to make it look cool is freaking dumb. This guy in my auto class the other semester had a damn "Street Glow" sticker on his front bumper.....RIDICULOUS!!!! I mean come on..can't you at least get a better sticker?

And then there are the people who think they are all bad ass cause they have a loud exhaust on their car when everything else seems stock. God damned people, a good aftermarket exhaust system on a honda will only get you a couple of horsepowers. The stock one usually is not restrictive unless you have the crappiest lowest end verson of the car their is.

FWD is the work of satan.

Course I would say that, I race a beemer =/

Done up right and japanese cars will be just as fast as the next car. The great thing about the ricers is that there are so many possibilities. There are so many options to induvidualize the car to how you want it, it's great.

I have a gun in my car, next to the left headlight.

It has a 50 round magazine, but it only shoots 1 bullet at a time, and I have to flip a small lever to advance the next bullet.

I can understand the whole sticker issue...i mean the big name companies just sticker their care to hell like Falken's G35 coupe or NISMO Skyline...the Falken G35 has a huge Falken sticker right accross its door...many of the sticker fiends want to copy that...i mean many shows like HIN have all cars with a decal job on em....

as for exhausts i can understand i have a loud catback...i want to switch to something more conventional like a greddy Sp or a Tanabe well not that conventional hehe....i got a ticket for mine i can so i can understand the hatred...

you have a turbo already in the GST only upgrade if you want more pounds of boost..anyway have fun

[quote name='AzianAsspicker']any1 kno the differences between the 97-99 gst's? [/QUOTE]

Just the options available for different years, like color, trim, etc. Otherwise, the 97-99 GST are the same.

[quote name='valor19']Just the options available for different years, like color, trim, etc. Otherwise, the 97-99 GST are the same.[/QUOTE]
thanks so much, so getting a 97 at an auction would be the best deal that I can get? In the kelley blue book auction price is worth 5,200... maybe I can find one at an auction for around 4 grand possible, or like a 98-99 around 5g's? Does any1 know where to find information on auctions in my area besides bargain network( they charge 4.95 a week) for free? I have read a bunch of sites saying that you do not have to be a dealer to buy cars at an auction. A lot of my friends have been getting great deals at local auctions as well (i.e. 2000 honda accord EX V6 $9,000, 2001 Mustang GT $7500)

The only way you are going to have a loud BOV on a DSM that functions properly is by turbocharging the 420a. Putting a non-recirculating bov on a turbo DSM (like a GST or GSX) causes the car to run poorly because the ECU was programmed for recirculating ones.

You can probably get a second generation GS for $2500 to $4500. If you want a cheap fast car, go with a first generation Eclipse GSX/Talon TSi AWD/Laser RS Turbo AWD. The turbo first gens go from $1000 (barely running) to $3500 for a really good one.

When they say DSM, they mean Diamond Star Motors. In other words:
90-94 Plymouth Laser
90-99 Eagle Talon
90-99 Mitsubishi Eclipse
All the first gens look basically the same with different taillights/emblems/etc. Same with the second gens. The non-turbo cars are much more reliable than the turbo ones (when left stock), and there are plenty of those aftermarket bodykits. Just please don't spend 5k on a non-turbo, they aren't really worth that much.

Believe me, I've been looking to buy a 2g GSX for several years now.

[Crappy job + dislike of loans + hefty insurance on a gsx = no gsx for me]

[quote name='magius360']
You can probably get a second generation GS for $2500 to $4500. If you want a cheap fast car, go with a first generation Eclipse GSX/Talon TSi AWD/Laser RS Turbo AWD. The turbo first gens go from $1000 (barely running) to $3500 for a really good one.

When they say DSM, they mean Diamond Star Motors. In other words:
90-94 Plymouth Laser
90-99 Eagle Talon
90-99 Mitsubishi Eclipse
All the first gens look basically the same with different taillights/emblems/etc. Same with the second gens. The non-turbo cars are much more reliable than the turbo ones (when left stock), and there are plenty of those aftermarket bodykits. Just please don't spend 5k on a non-turbo, they aren't really worth that much.[/QUOTE]

IMO, the reason why non-turbos are seen as more reliable is because people aren't modding them and racing them like they are the DSMs. Plus, you get these kids who buy a DSM, slap a boost controller on and jack up the PSI and blow their engines and others who try to mod their car when they don't know how to properly tune it.

I think an unmodded and well-maintained 4G63 is as reliable as any other engine out there.

Also, non-turbo Talons, Lasers and Eclipses aren't really considered a DSM since it doesn't have a 4G63 in it.

And the 90-91 DSMs have the flip up headlights, while 92-94 DSMs have the traditional headlights.

You were pretty right about the prices on a 1G. I bought my 91 FWD TSi for $1,000. The alternator had just gone out it in and nuked a lot of the electrical wiring. After spending $300 on that, I had to get the engine rebuilt about a year later; that cost me $1,000. And just recently, I put a new turbo on it, too.

The car itself is in pretty good condition. The paint is pretty good, but there is some oxidation on the passenger side door.

why not get a buick regal 3800 sepercharged?

I mean insurance is cheap, cops dont bother it, its a rock solid, reliable motor? Its more or less a sleeper and it can fit your friends comfortably.

Can I ask why you want an auction?

Typically those cars have been to a dealer and didnt sell for some reason or another... You are taking a chance by buying one without road testing it first. I genereally find that a private seller is the best bet even on these 'in demand' cars.

[quote name='evilmojo12542']ok I went in and checked it out. Now I know what all these punk driving these fake ass honda speed cars are called. I have actually had them pull up next to me with big ass exhuast tips,stickers out the wazzoooo and huge wings thinking they have a cool fast car in reality they have nothing but a image and lots of wasted cash. You can not beat a old muscle car(mustang,camaro,charger,marlin)
the money it takes to make a foreign car to go fast versus what you can do with a musclecar is no comparison. I will stick to big blocks,flowmaster exhuast systems and beat the living crap out of these wanna be's[/QUOTE]

i really need to take pictures of my dads 69 boss mustang that me and him worked on forever...

Over the past few years, I've owned a few "economical asian sports cars". Currently driving my second Celica...but have also owned multiple Preludes and 240SX as well. I had to say, my RWD 240SX was by far the least impressive of all the cars I've owned. A lot of fun to drive when it was nice out...however at the first sign of opressive weather, you needed a pilots license. I had quality rubber on it at the time, and it WOULD NOT stick to the road....rain? dangerous...snow? potentially fatal...I called it my Guardrail Copter...I figured I was gonna fly it into one somewhere along the line. After a few bad handling experiences, I ditched it for something a little more to my liking. Just something to consider.

[quote name='Snake2715']Can I ask why you want an auction?

Typically those cars have been to a dealer and didnt sell for some reason or another... You are taking a chance by buying one without road testing it first. I genereally find that a private seller is the best bet even on these 'in demand' cars.[/QUOTE]
hmm so a private dealer would be the best choice? where can i find vehicles of DSM around my area? Just cruise around or is there a site where i can actually look at ... has any1 heard of bargain network... maybe some feedback would be greatly appreciated

[quote name='daikaiju']Over the past few years, I've owned a few "economical asian sports cars". Currently driving my second Celica...but have also owned multiple Preludes and 240SX as well. I had to say, my RWD 240SX was by far the least impressive of all the cars I've owned. A lot of fun to drive when it was nice out...however at the first sign of opressive weather, you needed a pilots license. I had quality rubber on it at the time, and it WOULD NOT stick to the road....rain? dangerous...snow? potentially fatal...I called it my Guardrail Copter...I figured I was gonna fly it into one somewhere along the line. After a few bad handling experiences, I ditched it for something a little more to my liking. Just something to consider.[/QUOTE]

i think you just have to get accustomed to driving a RWD car. i've had my car for six years and i've only done one 360 (which is one too many), but it was b/c i was taking a turn too fast in the rain. that was when i first bought the car and i still had the stock rims/tires. ever since then, i've never had any problems in wet weather. i can't really compare my situation to yours though b/c i live in SoCal :lol:

btw, i have yokohama parada tires on my 240sx now and they've been doing a great job for several years :)
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Parada+Spec-2
http://www.i-club.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=121 :cool:

[quote name='doraemonkerpal']i think you just have to get accustomed to driving a RWD car. i've had my car for six years and i've only done one 360 (which is one too many), but it was b/c i was taking a turn too fast in the rain. that was when i first bought the car and i still had the stock rims/tires. ever since then, i've never had any problems in wet weather. i can't really compare my situation to yours though b/c i live in SoCal :lol:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's definitely just the RWD personality. My Cobra was crazy with the wheel spin.

bread's done
Back