Alan Wake's American Nightmare (XBLA) - Available Now - 1200msp ($15)

Oh my God, a Q1 release? Can 2012 meet or exceed 2010 in terms of incredible games??? The more I think about Mr. Scratch being the villain, the more it makes sense.

because the Darkness used Barbara Jagger to get to Tom Zane, then let's assume it would use Alice to get to Alan, but you saved Alice. So, it needs someone to use as it's physical presence. Maybe I'm overthinking it.

- The game is a separate standalone, in which anyone can tag along, even if they haven't played Wake before. American Nightmare broadens the world of Alan Wake and contains much more information about the happenings after the first game.

- If the original Alan Wake was a combination of Stepehn King and Lost, then American Nightmare is more in the spirit of Quentin Tarantino's "From Dusk Till Dawn". The main thing is breathtaking action, supported strongly by a Pulp fiction style story, Järvilehto reveals.

- A noteworthy change, compared to the original, is also the fact that in American Nightmare, the writer Alan Wake is no longer adventuring in Bright Falls.

- This time around, Alan Wake is in Arizona and the story stylizing is clearly different from the original one. After Bright Falls, we wanted to bring a fresh take and chose this classic Americana & Route 66 environment to paint the game with.

- How Mr.Wake has ended up in Arizona is an entirely different story. Fans of the original game surely remember the in-game Twilight Zone-inspired "Night Springs" television series. Some might also remember that Alan Wake had, in his youth, written episodes for this series. In American Nightmare, the player is thrown right smack in the middle of a "Night Springs" episode, which Alan Wake has written himself. Wake is trapped inside the series, between the borders of reality and fiction, in the midst of an epic battle between light and darkness, Järvilehto reveals about the game background.

- American Nightmare is scheduled for an early release next year, in Xbox Live Arcade. According to Järvilehto, the game has been designed with digital distribution in mind. This shows by the fact that the game is more arcade & action oriented and more fast-paced. That doesn't mean, however, that the game would be sped through.

- The game's story mode lasts for many hours. Furthermore, there is an extremely fast-paced Arcade mode called "Fight till Dawn". In that, the player is thrown into the middle of eerie abandoned places. The player has a wide arsenal ranging from sawed off shotguns to automatics, torches(?) and, of cource, flashlight. The amount of enemies increases between each wave and they become stronger. If you survive till dawn, then you win, Järvilehto states.

- Remedy assures that American Nightmare will not be Alan Wake's last adventure. According to Järvilehto, the sequel is definitely coming, but details and schedules cannot be yet revealed. For those wishing for a PC-version of Alan Wake, however, Järvilehto has a hopeful comment.

- We have received a lot of feedback from PC gamers and we have to admit that we are tempted to take that into account. We'll see if, in the near future, we might have some positive news to say about this as well.

Nabbed that from a member on the official Alan Wake forum, translated from this Finnish article: http://ylex.yle.fi/uutiset/popuutiset/remedy-uusi-alan-wake-on-tarantino-henkinen

Very very excited.

Day one buy for me. No matter the cost. I loved Alan Wake and had to recommend it to all my friends. Played through the first four times and been meaning to play it again. The trailer was def. interesting and has me hyped.

I'm sure Microsoft are using this as the final test for the series to become a franchise or not. I wonder if this is just one episode.

Not sure what I think about that. Sounds like it's a side story rather than a continuation of the main story. And I don't like the mention of being more action oriented as I wasn't a big fan of the combat in the game....the first DLC for instance kind of sucked as it was too focused on action and not enough on story.

I think it's a combination of things....a side story.....fan service....a quick cash grab.....a test for straight up digital distribution.....

I honestly don't care, it's more Alan Wake. I still fully believe that AW2 = Alice Wake with some type of camera mechanic, maybe using a camera's flash or something. I'm betting on Alice Wake/AW2 being a Next-Box launch title.

[quote name='Necrozilla']I'm sure Microsoft are using this as the final test for the series to become a franchise or not. I wonder if this is just one episode.[/QUOTE]
and yet they microsoft let FABLE live on

Level design looked sub-par even for an Alan Wake game in "Fight Till' Dawn" (horde mode). Horde mode should never be played by one person. The staple gun is a good idea for their take on the assault rifle.

Is it so hard to add predator animals to the list of enemies? a'la Cougars since this will take place in Arizona this time, but grizzly bears would of been nice in the original.

[quote name='Dark Rider']
What kind of price point are you guys looking for? I am expecting 1600msp, but hoping for 1200.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

What is the Winter 2012 sale about? Just a copy of the Summer promo they do?

[quote name='Yanksfan']Pretty much my thoughts as well.

What is the Winter 2012 sale about? Just a copy of the Summer promo they do?[/QUOTE]

This will actually be their third Winter House Party. Last years was torchlight, beyond good and evil, full house poker, etc.

Just an update: The Winter House Party will start February 15th, with a new game releasing every week. No Scheduled or pricing has been released yet.

[quote name='Dark Rider']Hey,

What kind of price point are you guys looking for? I am expecting 1600msp, but hoping for 1200.[/QUOTE]

exactly what I was thinking

Wouldn't be surprised if this came in at 1600 points. I'd still buy it instantly. I hope there are some avatar gear released for American Nightmare.

[quote name='Dark Rider']Hey,

I'm was thinking 1200.

And not related to this game, but I Am Alive is part of the House Party? I thought it might be a standalone game.

The price point and level of content is what I'm waiting for.

If it's an amazing 6 hours or of gaming, I wouldn't mind 1200 points. 3-5 hours of good, but not great game play would be okay for 800. 1600 would automatically be a turn down. At that point, it might as well go the extra mile and just be a full-on retail release.

I am looking forward to the game. The original Alan Wake is one of my favorite Xbox 360 titles and Remedy definitely has a soft spot in my heart between Alan Wake and the Max Payne franchise. I'm just leaning in the side of caution because I feel like Alan Wake 2 was stuck somewhere in development hell when someone saw that Dead Rising Case Zero and Dead Rising Case West sold like hotcakes and decided to get a piece of that pie.

Which, don't get me wrong, I'm actually on board with the bite-sized versions of bigger franchise idea. However, I feel like AWAN could potentially be a victim of being rushed out. Hopefully I'm wrong.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']The price point and level of content is what I'm waiting for.

If it's an amazing 6 hours or of gaming, I wouldn't mind 1200 points. 3-5 hours of good, but not great game play would be okay for 800. 1600 would automatically be a turn down. At that point, it might as well go the extra mile and just be a full-on retail release.

I am looking forward to the game. The original Alan Wake is one of my favorite Xbox 360 titles and Remedy definitely has a soft spot in my heart between Alan Wake and the Max Payne franchise. I'm just leaning in the side of caution because I feel like Alan Wake 2 was stuck somewhere in development hell when someone saw that Dead Rising Case Zero and Dead Rising Case West sold like hotcakes and decided to get a piece of that pie.

Which, don't get me wrong, I'm actually on board with the bite-sized versions of bigger franchise idea. However, I feel like AWAN could potentially be a victim of being rushed out. Hopefully I'm wrong.[/QUOTE]

I see what you mean. I think 1200msp is a perfect price point for this title. However, I will willing buy at 1600 to support future AW games.

[quote name='doubledown']I may get it, I thought the original was rather repetitive. Shine light, shoot, shine light, run, shine light[/QUOTE]

Remove the shine light aspect from your formula and you have CoD, which sells zillions. Maybe Remedy made AW too complex?

BTW, I can't remember where I read it but AN was just the result of Remedy screwing around with mechanics from the game. They started having competitions for points in the office and at some point decided it would make a cool XBLA. I don't think it was rushed. I do believe they are still working on Alan Wake 2. My guess is it will be a next gen launch game for Microsoft.

[quote name='doubledown']I may get it, I thought the original was rather repetitive. Shine light, shoot, shine light, run, shine light[/QUOTE]
How would this game be any different?

[quote name='GUNNM']1200 really? Guess I'll wait for a summer of arcade sale[/QUOTE]

You were expecting less? I am pretty happy its not 1600.

[quote name='theredworm']I'm just hoping there isn't any coffee thermos to collect for achievements.[/QUOTE]

I could care less if they are there or not. I like achievements well enough, but I have never felt like I *had* to get any in a game. I take a look, go for ones I think look cool and move on.

I absolutely loved Alan wake. Got the CE for $35 Christmas 2010. Now the question is, do I grit my teeth and buy this for full price in hopes that it will get us an Alan wake 2 release or do I surrender to my inner CAG and console myself knowing my individual full price sale won't have an impact on the decision of an alan wake 2 and just wait around for a discount?

Achievements are up at xbox360achievements.org. nothing shocking, but I see lots of replayability in the survive til dawn mode. Good stuff!

I really do think Remedy is working on an Alan Wake 2 launch title for the next Xbox. Microsoft would be insane to not see it as a good opportunity for a tech showpiece.

Here are the achievements for Alan Wake's American Nightmare. (Property of Microsoft and found on Xbox360achievements.org)

There are 12 achievements with a total of 200 points.

(In spoilers)

Sort:
Escape!10
gp-g.png
Escape the Taken to the motel.
Rewrite10
gp-g.png
Rewrite reality for the first time.
Cool It20
gp-g.png
Make sure Dr. Meadows can take another look at the skies.
Happy Ending25
gp-g.png
Rewrite reality for the last time.
Glorious Dawn10
gp-g.png
Survive until dawn in any Arcade Mode level.
Poetry in Motion20
gp-g.png
Get a six-minute survivor streak and over 100,000 points in an Arcade level.
Enter the Nightmare10
gp-g.png
Unlock all of the Nightmare Arcade Mode levels.
Skill Beats Gun10
gp-g.png
Survive an Arcade level using nothing but the flashlight and handheld flares.
Survivor30
gp-g.png
Get 70,000 points in any Nightmare Arcade level.
Split Splat!15
gp-g.png
Take out two Splitter spawns with a single shot.
One Day I’ll Buy a Stapler20
gp-g.png
Find all of the manuscript pages. (9)
Pile 'Em High20
gp-g.png
Defeat 2,000 Taken.

Edit: I put it in spoilers. There are some really low level spoilers in them.

Playing through the first one to get ready. This game is so awesome. Aside from the character models, it still looks freaking awesome too.

[quote name='IanKazimer']I'll buy full price on this one. I want these dudes to know that people like their games.[/QUOTE]

^This. I hardly have anything to play as it is and I honestly can't imagine AW's core game play and atmosphere disappointing me. I have no real reason to avoid a launch purchase so I'm looking forward to it.

Meh... I was hoping for something on par with the jacket/scarf award combo from the first game, but I just remembered that was CE exclusive. The Night Springs shirt is the first thing I'm unlocking no doubt. Considering how popular those shorts were in AW the logo should have been on the hoodie IMO.

Just a reminder to everyone that the February rewards deal of the month is 5% back if you are gold. So that is 60 points back ($.75) on the purchase of Alan Wake.

I loved Alan Wake, really loved it. I quite enjoyed "The Writer" DLC. I plodded through "The Signal". To me, "The Signal" represented the worst part of Alan Wake: tons of enemies and limited ammo (fortunately, not too limited). It was much lighter in story content too. Sadly, that seems to be the model that AWAN is going after. The story was what compelled me in AW, not the combat. In fact, many times I would just rush to the next streetlamp to *avoid* combat.

Look, the 'defend the Anderson's Barn' mission was indeed kinda awesome. But I think its 'awesomeness' was linked to its novelty within the constructs of AW. To make an game more centered around that type of experience, IMO, misses the point for what made Alan Wake great.

I think I'll wait till the eventual summer price drop.

[quote name='hostyl1']I loved Alan Wake, really loved it. I quite enjoyed "The Writer" DLC. I plodded through "The Signal". To me, "The Signal" represented the worst part of Alan Wake: tons of enemies and limited ammo (fortunately, not too limited). It was much lighter in story content too. Sadly, that seems to be the model that AWAN is going after. The story was what compelled me in AW, not the combat. In fact, many times I would just rush to the next streetlamp to *avoid* combat.

Look, the 'defend the Anderson's Barn' mission was indeed kinda awesome. But I think its 'awesomeness' was linked to its novelty within the constructs of AW. To make an game more centered around that type of experience, IMO, misses the point for what made Alan Wake great.

I think I'll wait till the eventual summer price drop.[/QUOTE]

I would not expect much story out of this, it's designed to be very much an Arcade game. It's all about points etc. There is a story mode but I am keeping my expectations very low for that as far as expanding on the story and mythos (which is awesome).

bread's done
Back