Alan Wake's American Nightmare (XBLA) - Available Now - 1200msp ($15)

just finished the story mode and i really liked it alot. really enjoyed the FMV and didnt mind playing it again.like the new weapons and enemies as well. just started on fight till dawn and that gets crazy hard! you have to be a machine to get the 100,000 its a nice little spin off game and im even more excited for alan wake 2.

I love Mr. Scratch or maybe it's just the actor. Either way they're both awesome. I absolutely HAVE to find time to start the two AW DLCs I've missed. Definitely convinced this is the best $15 I've spent on gaming in a long time.

Weird to see Alan holding high grade firearms like an SMG and assault rifle in video reviews. Kind of defeats the whole nail gun marketing.

The horde mode was better than I expected in the demo, although no co-op was a big mistake.

And after you complete an objective, you'll see an icon in the bottom left when it's saving.

Did the first half last night. Awesome to play some Alan Wake again.

Question - What's the best way to get the achievement for killing two splinters in a single shot? I used a flare gun to kill them and it didn't pop.

Rod - I got mine yesterday with the pump shotgun by accident. From what I could tell I shot during the split process so by the time they were in mid-separation the shot connected. I was also aiming for the head at the time and playing FTD mode. You can force one to split when you focus the flashlight on them.

Beat the game late last night and from what I can tell the ending
is just as much of a cliffhanger as AW1's. He's still trapped in the darkness but obviously one step closer to finding a way out while growing stronger. I honestly doubt we've seen the last of Mr. Scratch either. Granted the story couldn't hold a candle to the full first game, sure, but I still don't understand the disappointment of some myself. They were marketing the game as a more action oriented detour than anything else so I personally wasn't expecting anything amazing from the plot.

Just finished the story mode.

Great, great fun. I do love Alan Wake.

Wasn't sure at first, but ended up really enjoying the story. The dialogue is terrible, and there's not enough tongue in cheek to get away with it (or maybe it was just the soulless voice acting that annoyed me). It's strange though, because everything else - manuscripts, radio shows, and television parts - were really well written. Especially the manuscripts, enjoyed finding them. Got all the collectables apart from 1 radio show which is annoying.

I was in the group of Alan Wake fans wary about it being more 'action oriented', but had (and am still having) a lot of fun with this game. Everything about the combat has been tweaked and improved. Good variety of enemy and weapons. It's even more satisfying dodging attacks and the lighting effects during combat are great. The way your shots light up the sky is awesome.

Only played one level of Fight Til Dawn. Good fun, tense, and I can see it getting really challenging.

Enjoyed finding the little
music
video of
Balance Slays The Demon
in the menu after you complete the game. Just watched that and now I'm going to read through the manuscript pages again. And tonight I think I'm going to have another playthrough of the original game :D

That' it. I am going to make some time for the DLC this weekend and play through this next week. I probably shouldn't devote the time to it right now, but fuck it.

I suck too much to hit 100k but if anyone is having trouble with FTD, dodge (increases multiplier) the first enemies until you hit 9x, then start shooting.

[quote name='faceturd']Anyone else miss the flashlight doing slight damage when you aren't focusing it?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I do. I noticed that especially when fighting the spiders.

I'm loving AW:AN so far, though. I'm through the first act and I've done some of the Fight til Dawn stuff. It's goofy-ass Alan Wake, as always, but at this point that is part of the charm.

I also need to pick up The Writer. A fellow CAG hooked me up with a free Signal code ages ago and I actually finish that, but I never bothered with the Writer because I no longer have the game.

I must have played the Writer 20 times trying to get my last achievement in that game. It's a solid entry in terms of gameplay, there are a couple significant (although short) story elements. It's just very different than the rest of the episodes in terms of separation from reality and how that comes through in the maps. It's good, though and any true AW fan needs to play it.

Finally dived into this tonight. Finished Act 1. Very minor spoilers, you can click if you have played like, 1 minute of the game, but I figured I'd be careful with it.
Mr. Scratch is sooooo creepy it's not even funny. Every single T.V. thing creeps me out horribly. Especially the one where he's dancing to that psycho song or whatever. I'm not really sure where the story is going, but I'm assuming that will change at some point.
All in all, it's still Alan Wake, and more is good. Excited to finish the game this weekend, and do a collectibles run through soon enough. Of course, I'll have to play FTD as well.

I'm really digging Mr. Scratch (no surprise....check my avatar!). He's just a very charismatic villain in the vain of the Joker. Remedy even started a facebook page for him and I liked him. His comments are funny.

I'm getting a little better at the fight til dawn mode. Nearly got 70k on the first map. Made good use of a grenade taken that time.

Just as a side note, those that are fans Alan Wake - some side trivia:
Stobe Harju - the director of all the cutscenes in Alan Wake is working on a movie involving the music of symphonic metal band Nightwish called Imaginaerum (yet to be released). It also features the composer of the Alan Wake game.

Below is a music video from Nightwish that mostly shows the making of the upcoming movie. You'll also notice the actor for Alan Wake, Ikka Villi, shows up as "the pilot" at about 2:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g8ykQLYnX0

I'm a fan of both Nightwish as well as Alan Wake so knowing so many that worked on Alan Wake are working on this movie, I can't wait to see Imaginaerum.

The music during big fights is really fun... it gets me going for sure. The single player game was totally worth it. Really fun, clever, and some good story.

Just finished up my 2nd with all of the collectibles. The game was pretty much Alan Wake, nothing more, nothing less. For those who don't know, the manuscript pages shed a new light on the story, so I suggest getting all of them. Spoilers for those and story spoilers following....
The way I took things is that Alan is STILL indeed in the Dark Place 2 years later. Mr Scratch decides he is going to torture him by sending him to the town that Alan himself created, the town of Night Springs. Alice continues without Alan, but greatly misses him, and Alan is convinced that the Dark Place has made him a changed man. Alice becomes a filmmaker and Barry ends up managing the Old Gods of Asgard, as revealed by the radio shows. As Alan defeats Mr. Scratch (maybe, or maybe not), him and Alice are shown together again. HOWEVER, it is revealed in one of the radio shows that that was part of Alice's movie, and not reality. Regardless, it served as a decent bridge to AW2, which I cannot wait for. Anyone else have thoughts on the story?

[quote name='infamy']Alan Wake 2 is rumored as a launch title for the Nextbox, [/quote]

I think there have been quite a few rumors about it, so it's definitely a possibility.

Played through it last night instead of studying, hehe. Great game! I don't get the complaints about voice acting; thought everything was pretty good.

Alan Wake is the best new franchise in years for me. I just recently played through the main game for the first time as well, getting 1500/1500 on the achievements. Blows Resident Evil away, IMO.

[quote name='Ashwood']Just finished the story mode.

Great, great fun. I do love Alan Wake.

Wasn't sure at first, but ended up really enjoying the story. The dialogue is terrible, and there's not enough tongue in cheek to get away with it (or maybe it was just the soulless voice acting that annoyed me). It's strange though, because everything else - manuscripts, radio shows, and television parts - were really well written. Especially the manuscripts, enjoyed finding them. Got all the collectables apart from 1 radio show which is annoying.

I was in the group of Alan Wake fans wary about it being more 'action oriented', but had (and am still having) a lot of fun with this game. Everything about the combat has been tweaked and improved. Good variety of enemy and weapons. It's even more satisfying dodging attacks and the lighting effects during combat are great. The way your shots light up the sky is awesome.

Only played one level of Fight Til Dawn. Good fun, tense, and I can see it getting really challenging.

Enjoyed finding the little
music
video of
Balance Slays The Demon
in the menu after you complete the game. Just watched that and now I'm going to read through the manuscript pages again. And tonight I think I'm going to have another playthrough of the original game :D[/QUOTE]

You did an excellent job capturing my exact feelings on the game. I am a huge AW fan and after playing act 1, I wasn't sure about this one. Now that I've finished it, I see how it carries the story forward. What I liked best was all the hints towards the
Old Gods playing a significant role in the mythos. That manuscript page flat out says they battled the dark presence, so how did they escape/beat it?

Is there a complete list of the songs in the game? I need to get a tracklist of the entire game, if possible.

bread's done
Back