Alien Swarm: Valve's next game FREE NOW AVAILABLE TO DL!!!

kosmos13x

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that Valve's next game, Alien Swarm: Infected is COMPLETELY FREE on steam at release on Monday July 19th. This game has full single player, 4 player co-op, steam achievements, progression unlockables, etc etc etc!

Here is the steam page for the game:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/630/

Enjoy and happy gaming

-Edit-

eastx has asked me to add this:

Everyone please join the CAG Alien Swarm Steam Group!

3a5e0a062c5f581f0b72e8a84946e09fdcca5d80_full.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/cag-as

Last edited by a moderator:
For those wanting a mac version, Give it time since its a source game there is a good chance it will become a Steamplay game.

looks like fun, can't wait to play co-op, thanks for posting this.

valve can do no wrong!

as long as you don't care about the PS3 :p

COuld be interesting, hell its free I cant complain if I dont like it, I just uninstall it and dont play it again.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Uh, how are they making the moneys off this.[/QUOTE]

Its called advertising. Just like toyota will spend money to put ad's on tv for their cars they attract people to come buy stuff. Or a restaraunt has free appetizers, people come in and buy other things also. This game is just a different form of advertising because people will get on steam to download it, maybe see another game while it downloads and buy it and thus profit is made. Or Im sure people will hear its free that dont have a steam account and get one and maybe buy another game.

Besides its steam, so I know they got this game from their modding community meaning just about all the work was done for them.

Its not really hard to figure if you just, Uh, think about it.

4 player arcade style co-op is always fun. i hope to see this on consoles in the future even if its the sequel

[quote name='shosh']as i understand it, its a mod for ut2004.
do you need to have ut2004 to run this game?[/QUOTE]

No, you do not. The version Valve is releasing is now based off of the Source engine, it was converted over. You shouldn't need to have any other game installed in order to play this.

[quote name='banzaiwolfe']No, you do not. The version Valve is releasing is now based off of the Source engine, it was converted over. You shouldn't need to have any other game installed in order to play this.[/QUOTE]
awesome
thx for the answer.

[quote name='leesiulung']How do we know this is free? Nothing on the page indicates it is free?[/QUOTE]

the trailer does, it doesn't come out til Monday

[quote name='leesiulung']How do we know this is free? Nothing on the page indicates it is free?[/QUOTE]

FROM THE LINK POSTED:

About the Game

Alien Swarm is a game and Source SDK release from a group of talented designers at Valve who were hired from the Mod community.

Available free of charge, the game thrusts players into an epic bug hunt featuring a unique blend of co-op play and squad-level tactics. With your friends, form a squad of four distinct IAF Marine classes. Plan your attack using an unlockable arsenal of weapons with countless loadout configurations against a wide variety of aliens. Blaze your way through an overrun, off-world colony, eradicating the alien infestation in environments ranging from the icy planet's surface, to a subterranean lava-flooded mining facility.

I've been waiting years for this to finally come out. The UT2k4 version was awesome and this one looks like it'll carry on the legacy

Seems like a lot of you guys never heard of the mod, expect Lancer and Dondo. Used to play play the mod a lot, I can't even remember how long it's been ...3 or 4 years?

[quote name='dabebop']Seems like a lot of you guys never heard of the mod, expect Lancer and Dondo. Used to play play the mod a lot, I can't even remember how long it's been ...3 or 4 years?[/QUOTE]

Its definitely 4+ years.

I hope the game is as hard as it used to be, I remember my team dying over and over and yet we always went back for more. I hope they still have those little crab things that pop out of nowhere and infest your body making you explode with hatchlings. The new weapons in the gameplay video look pretty cool too.

Steam to me is like Nintendo, they do something so stupid I get pissed at them they they do something so awesome I reclaim my love for them.

Yeah so awesome news to free PC games.

[quote name='eastx']Can't wait for this. However, I am not hoping for extreme difficulty like some people. That's not how I roll. ~ ~[/QUOTE]

I'm with ya.

[quote name='lllGurulll']No kidding!!!! I thought the whole purpose of episodic content was to get things out faster. They should have just made Halflife 3.[/QUOTE]

They are getting them out faster, they're just working on Valve Time.

Half-Life: 1998
Half-Life 2: 2004 (+6)
Episode 1: 2006 (+2)
Episode 2: 2007 (+1)
Episode 3: 2011? (+4)

[quote name='hpv']They are getting them out faster, they're just working on Valve Time.

Episode 3: 2011? (+4)[/QUOTE]

Episode 3 better be more than just a couple hours of gameplay with the amount of time they are taking on it. This is ridiculous.

Anyone wanna get in on a four pack with me on this one? I'd be willing to cut everyone a pretty good deal to save a bit myself.

[quote name='lllGurulll']Episode 3 better be more than just a couple hours of gameplay with the amount of time they are taking on it. This is ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

I think it's kind of funny how long they're taking. I'm really hoping that Episode 3 becomes some kind of ironic pack-in with Portal 2.

[quote name='hpv']I think it's kind of funny how long they're taking. I'm really hoping that Episode 3 becomes some kind of ironic pack-in with Portal 2.[/QUOTE]

i hope it just becomes Half life 3 instead of Episode 3

HL Episode 3 = Duke Nukem Forever.

At least, it's starting to look that way to me.

But I bet when (if!) it arrives, it'll be a surprise release.

Just imagine...

At the end of Portal 2...GLADOS says "This game is a lie" and boom Episode 3 is unlocked in the bonus menu for beating the game. That would catch everyone off guard and it would be epic.

[quote name='hpv']They are getting them out faster, they're just working on Valve Time.

Episode 3: 2011? (+4)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='kosmos13x']Just imagine...

At the end of Portal 2...GLADOS says "This game is a lie" and boom Episode 3 is unlocked in the bonus menu for beating the game. That would catch everyone off guard and it would be epic.[/QUOTE]

LOL @ both

[quote name='saqqy']does anyone see a way of preloading the game? It says unlocks in 14 hours :([/QUOTE]

I don't think there is gonna be a preload for this game unfortunately. My advice is to start dl asap it is released or wait till later once the server stress goes down a little. That is assuming the dl for this game get hits hard (which I have my doubts bc valve for some strange reason has done a terrible job advertising this).

[quote name='kosmos13x']I don't think there is gonna be a preload for this game unfortunately. My advice is to start dl asap it is released or wait till later once the server stress goes down a little. That is assuming the dl for this game get hits hard (which I have my doubts bc valve for some strange reason has done a terrible job advertising this).[/QUOTE]

Even then, changing your region can alleviate downloads pretty easily. When the engineer update hit TF2 2 weeks ago, I switched my download region to Africa and had it downloaded in like 5 minutes as opposed to the 20+ it was taking other people.

[quote name='Zerokku']Even then, changing your region can alleviate downloads pretty easily. When the engineer update hit TF2 2 weeks ago, I switched my download region to Africa and had it downloaded in like 5 minutes as opposed to the 20+ it was taking other people.[/QUOTE]
Sounds good, I will try that if it is going slowly. It looks like it is unlocked in the middle of the day so might help a little.

The Steam server is too busy to handle your request. Damnit! I wait until after work and there's no chance of dl. Maybe I'll try switching servers.

bread's done
Back