Alpha Protocol $44.99 , Prince of Persia $39.99 at Kmart - KmartGamer.com

SHC-Gamer

Official Representative
Sneak Peak:

I've received a surprising amount of requests for what my offer will be on Alpha Protocol. I confirmed that I would release it today and of course I'm running later than I want. I need to hire a blogger!!!

Similar to when we released Just Cause 2, Alpha Protocol (360/PS3) will be $44.99 for release week.

I will also be discounting Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (360/PS3) to $39.99 beginning this Sunday.

I'll post when the blog on KmartGamer.com goes up. Help spread the word!!!

Deals are in-store only at the moment, if Alpha Protocol goes live for .com I'll update the thread.

I LOVE the idea of Alpha Protocol - and as long as the game isn't too flawed, it should still be interesting and fun. That and replay-ability looks to be a big factor in this one...kinda like the Bethesda games.

Great price on AP! :applause:
NOT interested prince of persia after far cry 2 insanity glitches. Far Cry 2 was the last straw that broke the camel's back. Never buy ubisoft games again. :bomb:

SHC is always bringing the deals. I see an early contender for the Speedy1961 Deal Buster Award here.

Sounds like a good price on PoP, not sure about Alpha Protocol yet though. For whatever reason my Kmart is always skipping out on the deals that SHC lets us in on so it probably won't matter much to me either way.

[quote name='SHC-Gamer']One day (maybe even a couple years from now), that will all be in the past. We'll all look back at this time as the birth of a gaming giant. Melodramatic.....yep...gonna happen...........yep.[/QUOTE]

I went to pick up blur this week and it took the kmart associate 7-8 minutes to come to the desk after being page by two different people. Love the deals....I am just sayin'.

Another review appears: http://playstationlifestyle.net/2010/05/28/ps3-review-alpha-protocol/

It seems like a lot of reviewers/previewers are saying something like "it has lots of engine/gamplay flaws, but I enjoyed myself anyway." For me, that's the sort of game I almost always end up liking. The "perfect" games never seem to hold my interest, usually because a side effect of being "perfect" is that they are sometimes only "perfect" when played "perfectly" -- and I am a flawed gamer let me tell you.

I'll probably get it; I can see it now.

Unfortunately I've had a death in the familly last night and I probably won't be able to keep up with this thread over the weekend.

I'll review right now for any questions, just didn't want you all to think I wasn't paying attention.

[quote name='kortdogg']I went to pick up blur this week and it took the kmart associate 7-8 minutes to come to the desk after being page by two different people. Love the deals....I am just sayin'.[/QUOTE]
You are saying what I say everyday :)

I have plans to change this dramatically.

[quote name='Indignate']SHC is always bringing the deals. I see an early contender for the Speedy1961 Deal Buster Award here.

Sounds like a good price on PoP, not sure about Alpha Protocol yet though. For whatever reason my Kmart is always skipping out on the deals that SHC lets us in on so it probably won't matter much to me either way.[/QUOTE]
In this instance, based upon that type of feedback........the pricing will be auto updated to every location and rainchecks will be available if needed.

Prince of Persia will begin Sunday for the whole week and Alpha will start on Tuesday when it releases. Both end Saturday (I saw a question on the dates).

[quote name='JoeCamNet']SHC, quick question:
Will this be ready to go first thing in the morning? With Just Cause, I showed up around 1pm and the delivery wasn't in yet.
Will these be on hand for store open or is it best to wait until evening?[/QUOTE]
Not that this will make you feel better......they definitely had there shipment in before Tuesday. Pretty much all new releases land at least two days before street date.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Cool. Good deals SHC! Couple of questions/thoughts:

1. What exactly are the dates for these sales? PoP deal starts May 30th - June 5th? I assume Alpha Protocol will be June 1st - June 5th?

2. Any possibility of deals on some upcoming games? Specifically I'm interested in Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4, and Crackdown 2. A good deal on Crackdown 2 would probably get quite a bit of sales since it's going to be a pretty big game releasing at a time when there isn't much else coming out.

Other upcoming games I'd consider buying (depending on reviews) would be Toy Story 3, Naughty Bear, and Singularity.[/QUOTE]
Well.....good news :)

Every title you listed has a deal in the queue. My Singularity offer in particular is hot. I usually have to wait a little closer to the offer though before it is revealed. Can't give pesky competitors to much warning :)

So, I work at kmart, and I already know the answer to this but, figure I'll ask anyway incase I'm wrong. Will my discount be able to apply to these deals?

[quote name='Chfan']So, I work at kmart, and I already know the answer to this but, figure I'll ask anyway incase I'm wrong. Will my discount be able to apply to these deals?[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately, I believe the discount does not apply to items on event. Not a fan of that either.

[quote name='SHC-Gamer']Unfortunately, I believe the discount does not apply to items on event. Not a fan of that either.[/QUOTE]

Figured, but, thought I'd ask anyway. Never would have been happier to be wrong though.

This is an awesome deal for a release week title. Might have to look more at sears. I didn't even know they had games.

Yea, I saw 6.0 score myself yesterday as well. I was so confused because I saw the score, but there was no review. I guess that explains it. Not my kind of game though so I'll pass.

I'll pick up Prince of Persia once it drops to around $20-$25ish...nothing more.

[quote name='Killbomb']AP is rumored to be getting a 6.0 from Gamespot. Apparently someone saw the score and tagline earlier but it's gone now. Was looking forward to it but I'm not so sure now after some of the things I've been hearing....even at $44.99.

I'm interested in PoP but probably won't bite until it hits $30 or less. How about a deal on Blur or Modnation in the future? :D Thanks again for your efforts SHC.[/QUOTE]

well not that they are the end all or be all but gamespot put their review and gave alpha protocol a 6.0......defitinely on the fence about it now......i'd like to see the ign review as well

[quote name='BmBoWnZ']JoyStiq Review:
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/28/alpha-protocol-game-review/

I was real excited about this game since I love Mass Effect but now I'm gonna wait for the bargain bin :([/QUOTE]

I'm not even going to bother with this review since it's by Justin McElroy, the same guy who has trouble following prompts to do easy quests (i.e his Nier review). You can see his Nier "review" for a great example of how shitty this guy is at reviewing.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='LiquidCrew']This is an awesome deal for a release week title. Might have to look more at sears. I didn't even know they had games.[/QUOTE]

I know KMart/Sears are the same company now, but these deals are only at KMart, not Sears.

[quote name='animalspinners']I'm not even going to bother with this review since it's by Justin McElroy, the same guy who has trouble following prompts to do easy quests (i.e his Nier review). You can see his Nier "review" for a great example of how shitty this guy is at reviewing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that was a complete joke and totally unprofessional. The fishing in Nier was explained a bit poorly but not seeking help so he could at least finish his review and THEN noting the problems with fishing made him lose all credibility in my eyes.

I had Alpha Protocol pre-ordered at Amazon from last year with ECA codes but canceled the order nonetheless. I don't always trust reviews but right now I already have too large of a backlog of recently released games. This is a nice deal for those who want it but I'll pass until this is $20 or less and I have fewer unopened new games waiting to be played.

yea it looks like Alpha Protocol is a train wreck, and what's astounding was that Obsidian sat on this game for full 6 months and did nothing to fix any of its numerous problems. Apparently the deal they signed with Sega was that they won't receive any royalties if the games does well, so they couldn't care less how terrible and broken it is. Obsidian sure has a way of continuing to shat on their company name.

Gamespot (6.0)
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/alphaprotocol/review.html

Gametrailers (6.4)
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-alpha-protocol/100743

Looks like I won't be getting the game any more. I don't understand this, the reviews say that there are myraid problems involving the A.I., bugs, and glitches. Additionally, the story evidently has no idea with where it's going. You would think that the delay from back in Oct. 2009 would give the developers more time to polish the game, but I guess that wasn't the case.

[quote name='joshthegreat69']I don't know if anyone said this but...Destructoid gave Alpha Protocol a 2. A freaking 2.[/QUOTE]

Jim Sterling likes giving really low scores to inflate his ego. He gave Assassin's Creed 2 a 4 and Final Fantasy 13 a 2 also. He then gave Deadly Premonition a 10. I disliked FF XIII and I can see that Deadly Premonition could be one of those so bad it's cheesy good games, but the only games that should get below 5 out of 10 are ones that crash constantly and are completely unplayable/shovelware, not ones with disappointing graphics, a few animation hiccups, or design decisions you didn't like.

If you don't like a game that's fine, but don't give it a ridiculous score like a 2 so you get extra clicks from Metacritic and more ad revenue for Destructoid because his reviews are the lowest score on just about every game (except Deadly Premonition.)

This is a decent western RPG with a unique setting (current day and it's not apocalyptic) that had lots of potential, that had some things that worked, and some that didn't. It's a 5, 6, or 7 out of 10. Decent but flawed.

1UP gave it a B+ and IGN will likely be around 6-7. So it's everywhere from 20-80 on Metacritic.

In terms of shopping discussion, it breaks down like this. Buy the game for $45 via KMart (or BB, Target, WM if KMart isn't near you or they're out of stock) if you want it week 1, or wait until the price drops in the fall.

I'm still going to get it next week as now that I've freed myself from Modern Warfare 2, I have time to play single player games now. Just beat Alan Wake last night, and will play this then finish Dragon Age before Crackdown 2 comes out in July.

Yeah, definitely provide a deal with Blur! Game is awesome SHC-Gamer.

Alpha Protocol's been getting bad reviews, and I think CheapyD and co. had a chance to paly it, as they too mention the game sucks and will fail pretty early. So I guess this pre-reduced price point is a good thing.

[quote name='SHC-Gamer']Unfortunately I've had a death in the familly last night and I probably won't be able to keep up with this thread over the weekend.
[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that. My condolences to you and your family.

[quote name='MSUHitman']FYI it just got a B+ on 1UP, so it's not universally panned.[/QUOTE]

Game seems fun, but it has its share of issues.

[quote name='SHC-Gamer']Unfortunately I've had a death in the familly last night and I probably won't be able to keep up with this thread over the weekend.

I'll review right now for any questions, just didn't want you all to think I wasn't paying attention.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that man, thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Jim Sterling likes giving really low scores to inflate his ego. He gave Assassin's Creed 2 a 4 and Final Fantasy 13 a 2 also. He then gave Deadly Premonition a 10. I disliked FF XIII and I can see that Deadly Premonition could be one of those so bad it's cheesy good games, but the only games that should get below 5 out of 10 are ones that crash constantly and are completely unplayable/shovelware, not ones with disappointing graphics, a few animation hiccups, or design decisions you didn't like.

If you don't like a game that's fine, but don't give it a ridiculous score like a 2 so you get extra clicks from Metacritic and more ad revenue for Destructoid because his reviews are the lowest score on just about every game (except Deadly Premonition.)

This is a decent western RPG with a unique setting (current day and it's not apocalyptic) that had lots of potential, that had some things that worked, and some that didn't. It's a 5, 6, or 7 out of 10. Decent but flawed.

1UP gave it a B+ and IGN will likely be around 6-7. So it's everywhere from 20-80 on Metacritic.

In terms of shopping discussion, it breaks down like this. Buy the game for $45 via KMart (or BB, Target, WM if KMart isn't near you or they're out of stock) if you want it week 1, or wait until the price drops in the fall.

I'm still going to get it next week as now that I've freed myself from Modern Warfare 2, I have time to play single player games now. Just beat Alan Wake last night, and will play this then finish Dragon Age before Crackdown 2 comes out in July.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I read his review for the game and it didn't seem utterly unplayable. It certainly doesn't seem like a good game or a game that would be worth my time (given that there are so many good games i have on the backlog) but it seems decent if you want to give it a rent.

I am excited about more Kmart deals though! Perhaps we could vote on the next deal? :)

[quote name='MSUHitman']I'm still going to get it next week as now that I've freed myself from Modern Warfare 2, I have time to play single player games now.[/QUOTE]

Good for you. I freed myself from that garbage long ago. :D

Best wishes to SHC and your family.

I'll review right now for any questions, just didn't want you all to think I wasn't paying attention.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for your loss, take care and hope all is well.

[quote name='Jodou']Lol, really surprised AP was widely requested. The sale price is above what the MSRP should be IMO.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure why you would expect a widely anticipated current gen console game to be released under $45. Your opinion of its value is another matter entirely (and man, it doesn't sound like you are way off).

Taken from the AP board on another site as posted by Re_Animator:

"This was posted on Joystiq, and the information he provides just makes me feel bad for him and others who worked/are working there...

a tired dev @ May 28th 2010 2:37PM

I worked on this game (a fact of which I am not proud). I'm not here to defend it; I agree with all these reviews.

First, a comment for the guy at Cheesecake Factory - Most devs eat in the office most days, if they do go out they tend to grab something at the food court and head back. I know the execs take long lunches, but they often use them for informal meetings as well. Most of the programmers and designers very rarely ate outside the office during the time I was on this project.

There was a ton of work put into this game. The problem is that is was a ton of undirected work, or work on things that were just stupid. The Executive Producer for the game, Chris Parker (also an owner of the company), seemed to think he was the world's greatest designer ever, and created all these absolutely ****** systems and wouldn't listen to any of the real designers or devs about things that just didn't work. And you can't exactly argue with one of the owners of the company when he doesn't want to listen. He basically took over the game and dictated exactly how everything would work (or not work, as the case may be). The other producers realized this early on and just gave up, leaving Parker to micromanage all the designers and programmers directly.

Sega also was a factor, because they kept changing the design requirements (yes they had heavy influence there), which never gave the producers and designers time to actually decide on one set of features to make and polish. The blame is still mostly Obsidian's because the execution was absolutely terrible, and it was obvious 2 years ago that this game should have been scrapped. Instead, though, they focused on adding still more features and never fixed the ones they already had. That is a recipe for tons of bugs and no polish... as is obvious.

This game was just an absolute failure of production, and it's no wonder that so many of the developers left the company, even after the 40% staff layoffs. I am still happy about some of Obsidian's other current projects, New Vegas included, because they are going pretty well. Their big unannounced project is looking great and is already much better than AP ever was, and that may end up being the game that everyone was looking for with AP.

Sega should have canceled AP instead of Aliens...
"

Looks like it's probably legit.

That really stinks if Alpha Protocol isn't any good. I'm still holding out hope, as the actual overall scores aren't terrible, and there's even an 83 from a more reputable (IMO) site, but still, troubling. I love science fiction, super heroes, and spy stuff...and was hoping for a "Mass Effect 1" type experience in all those genres.

I was actually hoping that Alpha Protocol might finally be the game I could use to get my mom playing games, given she loves spy stuff, and if it were as good as Mass Effect 1, it would be nuts to not play it.

Thanks for posting that Killbomb! (Even if it did originate on a Site Which Must Not Be Named) :whistle2:D

If that's for real, that's too bad. Reeeeally too bad. I'm 100x more interested in what Alpha Protocol is supposed to be than a Fallout game.

[quote name='Wolfpup']If that's for real, that's too bad. Reeeeally too bad. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, I still want to play it at some point but I'm not sure if I even want to drop $45 on it now. Probably better off waiting until it's $30 or less especially since I have spent so much on games already in the past few weeks. :D

Watch the quick look on giantbomb. Seems pretty fun other than the lockpicking with a sixaxis. Still seems like a 20 dollar game though.

Thanks for the insider info, Killbomb. Quite sad that Sega is now a shadow of its former self unless it's a game developed by Sega WOW.

Stay strong and know that the thoughts of the CAG community are with you during this difficult time.

I'll pass on both games for now, but not bad if you wanted either for a while. They're more in the $20 range for me - especially after haven seen numerous thorough video reviews.

Just saw the video review on Gametrailers and I am disappointed. Guess I am going to have to wait till around $20.00 to buy this. Which probably will not be that long from now.

bread's done
Back