Amazon is Awesome

VirgiltheChicken

CAGiversary!
Today, my copy of Advance Wars: Days of Ruin came in the mail from the 4/25 deal. Sweet, right? So, I grab my pocket knife to open it... but it's already open. No big deal, saves me some time. I open it and grab the stack of paper to get the registration code (yes, I register my stuff and no, I don't know why). Registration done, I go to play the game... but there is no game. There is no actual SD card in the box! So, after being paranoid and scouring the room where I opened everything I come up with nothing but a quarter from my couch. At least that will help compensate me for the $17 DS case I just got, I thought. Even though the "I have everything but the valuable bit which I swear I didn't sell" excuse seemed a tad flimsy, I decided to contact Amazon. I went to the website to get their number to call them up and wait on hold to find that they would call me instead. Right now if I wanted. I did, they did and I ended up speaking to Debbie in under a minute. She didn't even question my story of woe; a replacement is shipping as I write this. I was so impressed, I revised my original plans to post about getting shafted and wrote this instead. Well done Amazon, I look forward to giving you more of my money.

Amazon is my favorite internet retailer. I just wish they weren't headquartered in the same state I live in for sales tax purposes.

Newegg was my favorite, but their tax and shipping usually kills a lot of deals for me. Amazon is starting to come through with some hardware deals on top of their regular stuff which are already at great prices.

Oh yeah, I live in California so no tax, and I have Prime for another few months so free shipping. Prime is definitely worth the $79/year for me.

You meant your DS game was not sealed at all when you took it out of the Amazon packaging box?

Wow, kudos to them. Luckily I have never had a "tale of woe" with Amazon which is why I continue to give them my $$.

Good to hear and all of a sudden I've had two problems with stuff I've ordered. A few days ago they had to resend something because it was lost in the mail and just today I emailed them because it said something was delivered and I didn't get it. Very weird especially since it was "delivered" the day after it was shipped and it was free shipping.

Amazon is easily the best online retailer out there. It's too bad they don't have great computer hardware prices or selection.

I bought a piece of jewelry from them once, and I received it a day or two before I needed it. It was damaged when I opened the box. E-mailed Amazon. They had a replacement in the mail before the day was out, and it was at my door the next day.

Amazon lost my favor when they decided free shipping items needed to be delayed a few days.
Not for nothing, but I got my copy of GTA IV on release day, even though I used free shipping. I would suspect far more of their free shipping orders ship quickly than those that get delayed. Things happen. Even a great company like Amazon will see things slip through the cracks. I am certain it is not their policy to delay anything.

Glad to hear you got your issue fixed quick OP. Amazon is pretty helpful but sometimes, when I ask a question via email, I get a generic response and it's clear that they never eve read my question and just sent me an automated message. I guess I should use that call service next time.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Amazon is easily the best online retailer out there. It's too bad they don't have great computer hardware prices or selection.

I bought a piece of jewelry from them once, and I received it a day or two before I needed it. It was damaged when I opened the box. E-mailed Amazon. They had a replacement in the mail before the day was out, and it was at my door the next day.

Not for nothing, but I got my copy of GTA IV on release day, even though I used free shipping. I would suspect far more of their free shipping orders ship quickly than those that get delayed. Things happen. Even a great company like Amazon will see things slip through the cracks. I am certain it is not their policy to delay anything.[/quote]

I think it is their way of doing things now. I had pre-ordered Super Mario Galaxy months in advance but they still delayed my shipment and they also did the same to my friend on something else. GTA IV must have been a special case like Harry Potter was. I went with free shipping on my order of two Harry Potter book 7s and they came on release day.

GTA IV must have been a special case like Harry Potter was.
Well, besides getting GTA IV on its release day, I almost always receive my free shipping orders a day after release, perhaps two days. Not too bad, considering...

You get free shipping in exchange for giving them more to time process/ship your order. Seems like a great deal for me.
Exactly. If I want something quicker, I'll pay for the shipping. At the end of the day, their free shipping is way better than some other companies. I waited almost two weeks for some HD-DVDs from DeepDiscount.

[quote name='Green Card200']You get free shipping in exchange for giving them more to time process/ship your order. Seems like a great deal for me.[/quote]

The problem here is they never needed this much time to process/ship an order before. I used to remember getting my order, process and shipped the next day. I'm assuming this is their way of making Prime really good like how Microsoft suddenly decided to change Silver memberships by screwing people with week late demos.

Jesus, if this would have happened at a GameStop, this would be a flame topic about how crappy and incompetent their workers are. Glad to hear that you got it resolved efficiently, though.

Amazon is usually pretty good, I have had some problems lately though. I ordered the Warhawk bundle from them and when I got it it was pretty beat up so I told them I wanted to exchange it and they sent a new one. When I got it it was shipped in that weird brown cardboard sleeve with no padding and was in worse condition then the first one. I'll be getting a refund. And even though I always pick ship all items together they almost always split my order up.

[quote name='eau']You meant your DS game was not sealed at all when you took it out of the Amazon packaging box?[/QUOTE]

Yes. The shrink wrap was there, but it was cut open about halfway down and the resulting flap was actually stuffed inside of the case. Hard to describe.

Amazon is one of my favorites. I rarely have a problem with their customer support, nice and top notch. I had to return an Xbox 360 because the case was crappy and damaged. They sent over a return box the next day and got a full refund within a week.

I don't mind waiting a few days for shipping because it's free, and usually comes to me undamaged.

Good prices + no tax (in most states) + free ship = great

[quote name='VirgiltheChicken']Yes. The shrink wrap was there, but it was cut open about halfway down and the resulting flap was actually stuffed inside of the case. Hard to describe.[/QUOTE]

Hmm...this sounds suspiciously similar to the copy of Orcs and Elves I got. I never opened it because I was just worried it had already been opened, and who knows what done with it. I just sent it back and had them send me a new copy. The game is AWESOME by the way. I played through it over 24 hours, and it's a 10 hour game. I basically never play through stuff THAT fast!

[quote name='Hostile']Amazon lost my favor when they decided free shipping items needed to be delayed a few days.[/quote]

^ This

I had preordered GTA4 the day the preorder went up, and as of today it still has not been delivered.

i love amazon, they have excellent customer service. Still have a $50 gift certificate + $5 for prime (which my trial is ending sooon) I better buy something fast!

I love Amazon, but now they're using DHL for my area. Got a nice banged up DVD today courtesy of DHL, and I know if I order again or exchange it, the new one is going to be banged up as well. Huge pain in the ass.

bread's done
Back