Amazon PCDD $12.49 Walking Dead ($7.49 after coupon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazon DVG Deals

Official Representative
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hi CAGs,

I'll be posting deals we're running on Digital Games (PC/Mac, Free to Play, Sony/Microsoft Points/Subs).

I'm also here to answer questions you might have, get you closer to the developers by hosting Q&As, setting up podcasts, live streaming gameplay etc. If I don't respond to a question you have in thread please send me a PM. These ping my email address and make it more likely that I will see your question and respond more quickly.

FYI. EA Games sold by Amazon will not activate on Steam.

Digital Holiday

1/5-1/12

The Walking Dead - $12.49 ($7.49 post coupon)

1/11-1/13:

Alice: Madness Returns: The Complete Collection - $11.99 pre coupon (6.99 after coupon) - not Steam
Dragon Age Pack PC - $12.99 pre-coupon ($7.99 after coupon) - not Steam

1/18-1/20:

Need for Speed: The Run - $8.99 ($3.99 after coupon) - not Steam
EA Sports Classic Pack - $8.99 ($3.99 after coupon) - not Steam
Syndicate - $9.99 ($4.99 after coupon) - not Steam
Crysis Maximum Maximum -$17.99 ($12.99 after coupon) - not Steam

1/13-1/19:

Tantalizing THQ Medley - $11.99 pre coupon ($6.99 after coupon) - Steam

1/11-1/12:

Darksiders Franchise Pack - $13.19 before coupon ($8.19 after coupon) - Steam
Saints Row The Third: The Full Package - $12.49 pre coupon ($7.49 after coupon) - Steam

1/29-1/31:

Burning Hot Bundle - $11.99 ($6.99 after coupon)

F.A.Q.S.:

1. Does the game I'm buying from Amazon Activate on Steam/Origin/Uplay? What DRM does the game use?

There are two places to identify DRM on a digital video game detail page:

At the top of the page, below the title:

16hm7a8.png

In the "Product Description" section:

r06ykl.jpg

2. Note on Electronic Arts Games - For the most part, EA games sold on Amazon do not activate on Steam. Most activate on Origin.

3. Note on DRM with limited activations:

Our Policy

4. Sometimes I'll do giveaways.

5. I work with developers and publishers to get fun (or at least what I think is fun) content to share with you all. Here are some examples:

a. Check out the Pax Gameplay videos here: Xcom: Enemy Unknown I played Xcom with Jake, the Creative Director for the game, a few months before the game came out Also, on this page, check out the Q&A, also a community driven event.

b. Check out the interview on this page: Borderlands 2 we did this interview at E3 with Randy Pitchford this year.

c. We've partnered with the ++GoodGames Podcast to feature many of the games we carry. They talk to the developers about the game development process, how the games are conceptualized and managed, all kinds of fun stuff. I'm working on putting together full link list and will update when I have it.

What else do we sell?

Xbox Live Points and Subscriptions:

1600 Microsoft Live Points
4000 Microsoft Live Points
12 Month XBOX Live Subscription
3 Month XBOX Live Subscription]
12 Month + 1 XBOX Live Subscription

PSN+ Subscriptions and PSN Points:

$20 PSN Points
$50 PSN Points
12 Month PSN+ Subscription
3 Month PSN+ Subscription

We also have a Free-2-Play store supported by our GameConnect technology. Gameconnect allows you to link your Amazon.com account with free-2-play and MMO accounts so that you can buy things like in game currency, premium game time/subscriptions, in game items, etc. on Amazon.com using your Amazon.com payment options and have this content delivered directly into your game.

To check out the Free-2-Play games we offer you can visit our storefront here:

Free-2-Play Store

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kidrocklive']Will I have an issue running it though? This is my current set up. I read about the fix to the framerate but wasn't aware the graphics were actually so much better. I did read the DLC was included which is nice.

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5400 @ 2.7GHz
4GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6670[/QUOTE]

I have my PC (i7 950; GeForce GTX 560 Ti; 8 GB RAM; Win 7 64-bit) running Dark Souls PTD here 99% of the time stable and locked 30 FPS.

Sure would like to see the Saints Row the Third: "Full Package" version for a good price in the EC list. I'd like to pick up a cheap copy of Saints Row to give to a buddy for co-op, but I have a hard time talking myself into buying the vanilla version for anything more than $2.50 after coupon.

[quote name='kidrocklive']Also I remember reading that the framerate fix was just for offline play and didn't work for online play. Is that still true or did they fix that?[/QUOTE]

It's NOT recommended to play online w/ unlocked framerate b/c doing so actually ALTERS the game-code.
That could result in a G4WL/XBL ban.

The DSFix INI file tells you that flat-out.

[quote name='kidrocklive']Also I remember reading that the framerate fix was just for offline play and didn't work for online play. Is that still true or did they fix that?[/QUOTE]

Word is, you can get banned from GFWL by using the frame unlocker online. In fact it was disabled with the last patch for the game, quickly fixed by Durante, the maker of the DSfix, no idea how GFWL bans work but I wouldn't use it online.

[quote name='DonRamon']Word is, you can get banned from GFWL by using the frame unlocker online. [/quote]
Yep.

In fact it was disabled with the last patch for the game, quickly fixed by Durante, the maker of the DSfix, no idea how GFWL bans work but I wouldn't use it online.
I wouldn't either - especially if you play lots of PC G4WL and/or X360 XBL games.

Plus, the PC version runs buttery smooth at 30 FPS w/ the cap, anyways. It might drop a few frames, but it ain't likely going to even hit below 25 frames for you.
Even those kind of drops to 25 FPS have been rare for me on my rig.
Most of the time, it's a rock-solid 30 FPS period.

[quote name='icedrake523']I went to check out for the 2K Super Strategy Pack, I assume the $5 promotion applied is the coupon from using the link in the OP?[/QUOTE]

No. You had to buy a digital game from Amazon during mid November and December 2012 to get the $5 promo coupon. If you did make such a purchase, then yes, it will automatically be applied.

@TONY

I see you guys have Evochron Mercenary in the MP3 music store for its soundtrack....
...but where's the game?
I can't find the actual game!
Do you guys even carry Evochron Mercenary game?

[quote name='UW_Shocks']No. You had to buy a digital guy from Amazon during mid November and December 2012 to get the $5 promo coupon. If you did make such a purchase, then yes, it will automatically be applied.[/QUOTE]

Is this anything like those blowup gals...;)

[quote name='MysterD']It's NOT recommended to play online w/ unlocked framerate b/c doing so actually ALTERS the game-code.

The DSFix INI file tells you that flat-out.[/QUOTE]

Is there a quick way to disable the framerate unlocker or do you have to keep uninstalling and reinstalling it? Sorry for all the questions.

[quote name='MysterD']It's NOT recommended to play online w/ unlocked framerate b/c doing so actually ALTERS the game-code.

The DSFix INI file tells you that flat-out.[/QUOTE]

Eww, that sucks. I hate when companies do stuff like that. So what, do I have to completely disable my internet connection everytime I play Dark Souls?

Aw, no worries, I'll just run dsfix without unlocking framerate and leave it at 30 FPS, just to be safe.

[quote name='kidrocklive']Is there a quick way to disable the framerate unlocker or do you have to keep uninstalling and reinstalling it? Sorry for all the questions.[/QUOTE]

i would like to add
is the graphics improver seperate from the framerate unlocker?
will that one get you banned?

[quote name='kidrocklive']Is there a quick way to disable the framerate unlocker or do you have to keep uninstalling and reinstalling it? Sorry for all the questions.[/QUOTE]

It's disabled by default w/ DSFix.
If you want to turn it on, follow the directions in the INI file to turn it on.

[quote name='tham1988']i would like to add
will that one get you banned?[/QUOTE]

I got the game cranked way the hell up w/ graphics.
Never got banned for it.
This stuff actually DOES not alter the game's actual code.

Enabling framerate unlocker DOES alter the game's code - and is why you could get XBL/G4WL banned, if you do enable it while playing online.

[quote name='UW_Shocks']No. You had to buy a digital guy from Amazon during mid November and December 2012 to get the $5 promo coupon. If you did make such a purchase, then yes, it will automatically be applied.[/QUOTE]
I bought the Darksiders bundle, so that must be where I got the coupon from.

[quote name='MysterD']@TONY

I see you guys have Evochron Mercenary in the MP3 music store for its soundtrack....
...but where's the game?
I can't find the actual game!
Do you guys even carry Evochron Mercenary game?[/QUOTE]

They carry a lot of soundtracks for games they don't sell.

[quote name='tham1988']i would like to add
[/quote]All these files come included w/ the DSFix files you download.

At one time, framerate unlocker was separate.
Not anymore.

will that one get you banned?
Graphics improving feature DO NOT alter the game-code.
Ain't been banned for using it.

Just keep the framerate unlocker OFF, if you're playing online.
Game runs normally at a super-solid 30 FPS by default, so you don't really need it say unlocked and running at 60 FPS.
{shrug}

Plus, From Software purposely synced animations and everything to run at 30 FPS. Unlocking the framerate on a game heavily synced specifically for a certain framerate could cause major problems, anyways.

EDIT:
[quote name='Tolyngee']Gamecode locked to framerate is soooooooo 20th century... :roll:[/QUOTE]

Whether you like it or not - that's the way it is w/ this game.
I should note - this game has some of the MOST precise combat I've played in a game when using a controller.
One false move or have some bad-timing...and you're SCREWED.

[quote name='MysterD']I got the game cranked way the hell up w/ graphics.
Never got banned for it.
This stuff actually DOES not alter the game's actual code.

Enabling framerate unlocker DOES alter the game's code - and is why you could get XBL/G4WL banned, if you do enable it while playing online.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, just to add that the game wasn't designed with 60fps in mind so you will can also get funky collision detection problems.

It's fine to check it out as a novelty, or if you are going to be offline all the time, other than that don't touch the ini setting for frame unlocking.

EDIT
Ninja'd by MysterD, damn thread moves to fast!

[quote name='MysterD']Whether you like it or not - that's the way it is w/ this game.[/QUOTE]

I personally don't find that really an acceptable excuse, though. L.A. Noire at least had a plausible reason for it's lock with the face stuff, but an action rpg has no excuse for forcing a fps lock. Honest question, what would Dark Souls lose if it was 60 fps, compared to 30?

I've been seriously considering picking up Dark Souls, but I didn't realize you could get banned for unlocking the framerate cap.

[quote name='MysterD']It's disabled by default w/ DSFix.
If you want to turn it on, follow the directions in the INI file to turn it on.[/QUOTE]

Oh that's good to know. I am not good with messing with stuff so the less I have to do the better haha. Thanks for your help.

[quote name='Davinatorman']I personally don't find that really an acceptable excuse, though. L.A. Noire at least had a plausible reason for it's lock with the face stuff, but an action rpg has no excuse for forcing a fps lock. Honest question, what would Dark Souls lose if it was 60 fps, compared to 30?[/quote]

Re-read these posts in particular:

[quote name='MysterD']
Whether you like it or not - that's the way it is w/ this game.
I should note - this game has some of the MOST precise combat I've played in a game when using a controller.
One false move or have some bad-timing...and you're SCREWED.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DonRamon']Yeah, just to add that the game wasn't designed with 60fps in mind so you will can also get funky collision detection problems.

It's fine to check it out as a novelty, or if you are going to be offline all the time, other than that don't touch the ini setting for frame unlocking.

EDIT
Ninja'd by MysterD, damn thread moves to fast![/QUOTE]

[quote name='kidrocklive']Oh that's good to know. I am not good with messing with stuff so the less I have to do the better haha. Thanks for your help.[/QUOTE]

If you have a high-end PC, I would recommend you do read the DSFix INI file, turn the resolution way up and turn on some of the graphics bells and whistles.
Seriously - the game's down-right AMAZING looking artistically and technically, if your PC can handle some of this stuff.

I was talking about if the developers had actually implemented 60 fps. I'm willing to bet it would have been easy enough to fix the problems that the mod unlock currently has.

Is it a big deal to get banned from G4WL? Do I lose all my games/(can't play?)
I don't have an xbox and don't game online at all so wouldn't care about that aspect of it.

[quote name='lolDragoon']I deleted my emails that had the coupons on them. Is there a way to recover them?[/QUOTE]

The discounts are tied to your account, there are no actual codes. If you don't have the emails though you won't have a way to see how many you have so you'll just have to keep buying until you don't see the promo applied at checkout...

[quote name='ButtonPusher']The discounts are tied to your account, there are no actual codes. If you don't have the emails though you won't have a way to see how many you have so you'll just have to keep buying until you don't see the promo applied at checkout...[/QUOTE]

or just chat with customer service about it.

[quote name='Davinatorman']I was talking about if the developers had actually implemented 60 fps.[/quote]
Yeah, but that isn't the case.

I'm willing to bet it would have been easy enough to fix the problems that the mod unlock currently has.
The dev's built it around 30 frames per sec.

Sure, most of us here - even myself - normally do prefer games built around 60 frames per sec.

But, this game is NOT meant to be ultra-fast and ultra-quick. This is NOT meant to be played that way. It is NOT meant to be played like many OTHER modern games. This game is the ANTI-modern school game.

You are playing VERY cerebral here and often planning attacks here. You are thinking about your every single solitary move. It is deliberately slower-paced. It better be calculated move you make - OR you're going to get HURT SEVERELY or more likely DIE. You are keeping your shield-up even as you just WALK around the area. You are NOT RUNNING through an area - unless you want to DIE. In a new area you never been to, you DO NOT know what kind of nasty enemy; nasty enemies; or even if tons of low-level tons of enemies are around the corner - ALL of those will put up a challenge to you.

In combat - you are getting enemy patterns down; learning them; and thinking how to counter and evade them. You are learning WHEN to attack and HOW to attack enemies properly.
If you want to swing wildly - likely, YOU'RE DEAD.

ALL weapons you wield feel, move, and animate differently. Learn how to feel, use and manipulate your weapons correctly - or YOU'RE DEAD.

The game doesn't really matter much on what level YOU are AND your enemies, when it comes to making what the game feels are "bad" moves that you made. It will punish you at EVERY moment possible and LAUGH at you in your face for doing so. AND you'll feel like trash, stupid, silly, or all of the above for doing so; you'll DIE and then be sent back to your last Bonfire (save-point); and you'll pout or yell in frustration as every enemy respawns within the area.

That's how precise this game's combat is.

I'm not sure I'm comprehending how increasing the framerate would eliminate Dark Soul's challenge. Everything you described isn't lost from changing the framerate, unlike, say, L.A. Noire's face expressions or.. Uh.. From Dust's physics (can't think of another plausible example besides the first for 30 fps)? I'm still convinced that the developers didn't bother expanding the on framerate issue due laziness/inexperience more than having the idea of "it's best played this way no matter what", like the rest of the problems with the vanilla game. Alan Wake was built on a 30 fps foundation, and yet they upped that in the pc port.

edit: I'd like to point out that DmC, a game that runs on 30 fps in the consoles, is also being bumped up to 60+ fps on pc. You know, the game that the developers insisted that 30 fps far better suits DmC's visual style.

[quote name='Davinatorman']I personally don't find that really an acceptable excuse, though. L.A. Noire at least had a plausible reason for it's lock with the face stuff, but an action rpg has no excuse for forcing a fps lock. Honest question, what would Dark Souls lose if it was 60 fps, compared to 30?

I've been seriously considering picking up Dark Souls, but I didn't realize you could get banned for unlocking the framerate cap.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Davinatorman']I was talking about if the developers had actually implemented 60 fps. I'm willing to bet it would have been easy enough to fix the problems that the mod unlock currently has.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Davinatorman']I'm not sure I'm comprehending how increasing the framerate would eliminate Dark Soul's challenge. Everything you described isn't lost from changing the framerate, unlike, say, L.A. Noire's face expressions or.. Uh.. From Dust's physics (can't think of another plausible example besides the first for 30 fps)? I'm still convinced that the developers didn't bother expanding the on framerate issue due laziness/inexperience more than having the idea of "it's best played this way no matter what", like the rest of the problems with the vanilla game. Alan Wake was built on a 30 fps foundation, and yet they upped that in the pc port.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Razy polt is razy.

[quote name='Davinatorman']I'm not sure I'm comprehending how increasing the framerate would eliminate Dark Soul's challenge. Everything you described isn't lost from changing the framerate, unlike, say, L.A. Noire's face expressions or.. Uh.. From Dust's physics (can't think of another plausible example besides the first for 30 fps)? I'm still convinced that the developers didn't bother expanding the on framerate issue due laziness/inexperience more than having the idea of "it's best played this way no matter what", like the rest of the problems with the vanilla game. Alan Wake was built on a 30 fps foundation, and yet they upped that in the pc port.[/QUOTE]

Grand Prix legends, a highly-respected racing sim, is locked to an odd expectation of 36(!) fps:

The maximum is 36 FPS and has to do with being made in 1998 and a tie-in to the physics being updated at that frequency.

Now, there's an *unsupported beta* patch that fixes this, but it was never officially fixed by the devs.

The problem really manifested itself and made the game utterly unplayable once CPUs hit 1.7Ghz (around 2001). You would have thought the devs could have seen the problem coming? (If your CPU/graphics card can handle 360fps, then yes, the game will run at 10x speed)

Grand Prix Legends is a perfect example of why you don't take a game and make anything in the game's programming absolutely dependent on the framerate.

Did those early $5 promo codes from when demos counted expire? Tony was talking over whether or not they were going to invalidate them. Anyone know what decision was made?

It's mostly due to the developers inexperience with the plataform, From Software are kinda inconsistent with their games, they're capable of developing GOTY material like Demon's/Dark Souls and great games like 3D Dot Game Heroes and then putting totally crappy releases like Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor or mildly acclaimed games like the Armored Core tittles.

Alan Wake is different, the game was developed on PC and it was planned as a PC game back on 2005. The PC release was ditched by Microsoft so it ended up being an XBOX 360 exclusive.

[quote name='dracula']it looks like this is an origin key,and does not come with steam keys, correct? that is the only thing keeping me from biting right now[/QUOTE]Correct. Steam keys are a near impossibility though.

[quote name='Davinatorman']I'm not sure I'm comprehending how increasing the framerate would eliminate Dark Soul's challenge.[/quote]
Actually, it'll make the game harder. Hit collision and detection goes out the window a bit, if you unlock it - from what people have said that done it.
I have no intentions in removing the cap - I'm happy w/ the game as is.

From Software didn't intend to make a FASTER-paced game. They wanted something more old-school and cerebral. VERY old-school games weren't built around 60 FPS. They wanted to make it a certain way - and that is it. They are refusing to change THEIR vision to support OTHER'S wants and needs.

Everything you described isn't lost from changing the framerate, unlike, say, L.A. Noire's face expressions or.. Uh.. From Dust's physics (can't think of another plausible example besides the first for 30 fps)? I'm still convinced that the developers didn't bother expanding the on framerate issue due laziness/inexperience more than having the idea of "it's best played this way no matter what", like the rest of the problems with the vanilla game.
You complain about Dark Souls capped at 30 FPS, but are giving LA Noire a pass?
{eyebrow raised}

I'm telling you - both games belong capped at 30 FPS for their specific reasons.
Unhinging them, you are breaking these games entirely!!
They wanted slower-paced ultra-precise combat in Dark Souls - and From Software succeeded at 30 FPS.
Team Bondi wanted LA Noire to have stunning facial expressions and top-notch graphics (for their time) - and they succeeded by basing it around 30 FPS.

Both games are console games 1st - and many console games are built around 30 FPS. It's great to just even have these great games later get ported over on the PC!

I have no problem w/ games sticking at 30 FPS - as long as it doesn't dip down low into major framerate drops. It better stay around the 25-30 framerate mark, if it's being locked-down like such.

Alan Wake was built on a 30 fps foundation, and yet they upped that in the pc port.
30 FPS is common on consoles; while PC is often unhinged or dev's aim for 60 FPS max.

From Software definitely lacks PC-development. They built it a certain way and wanted to maintain it that way period. They didn't want to "break" their game. So, they left it...as is, more or less. We're lucky Namco and From took some little bit of money and even let From even port this console-game here to the PC.

Remedy is known for making PC-style games and supporting PC gamers. They put a lot of care, love, and $ into their PC versions. They're known for this. Also, the game was originally planned as both a Windows Vista & X360 Exclusive - but Microsoft make it a X360 Exclusive...for a while.

[quote name='jrodri86']It's mostly due to the developers inexperience with the plataform, From Software are kinda inconsistent with their games, they're capable of developing GOTY material like Demon's/Dark Souls and great games like 3D Dot Game Heroes and then putting totally crappy releases like Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor or mildly acclaimed games like the Armored Core tittles.

Alan Wake is different, the game was developed on PC and it was planned as a PC game back on 2005. The PC release was ditched by Microsoft so it ended up being an XBOX 360 exclusive.[/QUOTE]

I can sort of understand the "inexperience" view of it, but then again, one person fixing the resolution issue in less than a day doesn't really say much for them. It becomes a question of "were they not physically able to adequately port the game?" versus "did they even bother at all?"

Fair enough for Alan Wake, but I still present you with DmC.

From Software didn't intend to make a FASTER-paced game. They wanted something more old-school and cerebral. VERY old-school games weren't built around 60 FPS. They wanted to make it a certain way - and that is it. They are refusing to change THEIR vision to support OTHER'S wants and needs.
Higher framerate doesn't make the game faster, it makes the game smoother.

You complain about Dark Souls capped at 30 FPS, but are giving LA Noire a pass
I never said anything about excusing them for it. I said they had a plausible reason for it (facial expressions being recorded in 30 fps), something Dark Souls does not have.

I have no problem w/ games sticking at 30 FPS - as long as it doesn't dip down low into major framerate drops. It better stay around the 25-30 framerate mark, if it's being locked-down like such.
I personally think that we as pc users should be allowed to mess with how our games play. L.A Noire's the only game I can think of that has a good reason for it (I have no interest in buying it, regardless), every other game has no excuse for imposing a cap, though (community mods somewhat help this, though). Dark Souls takes it even further. What other games can you possibly get banned from playing online just for removing the fps cap?

[quote name='Davinatorman']I'm not sure I'm comprehending how increasing the framerate would eliminate Dark Soul's challenge. Everything you described isn't lost from changing the framerate, unlike, say, L.A. Noire's face expressions or.. Uh.. From Dust's physics (can't think of another plausible example besides the first for 30 fps)? I'm still convinced that the developers didn't bother expanding the on framerate issue due laziness/inexperience more than having the idea of "it's best played this way no matter what", like the rest of the problems with the vanilla game. Alan Wake was built on a 30 fps foundation, and yet they upped that in the pc port.

edit: I'd like to point out that DmC, a game that runs on 30 fps in the consoles, is also being bumped up to 60+ fps on pc. You know, the game that the developers insisted that 30 fps far better suits DmC's visual style.[/QUOTE]

You have to understand that DS is not an arcade game, it just doesn't lend itself to a faster pace. Every battle needs delicate timing and that timing was developed around 30fps I guess, another guess is that maybe they never imagined they would be porting it to a platform capable of running DS at 1080/60.

In consoles it runs at 720/30, it's logical, for them, to have developed the game around such limitations.

It sounds like you have not played it, I strongly suggest to do so, we might not get another one like this, so old fashioned hardcore gaming goodness, in years, if at all.

[quote name='MysterD']Re-read these posts in particular:

Originally Posted by DonRamon
Yeah, just to add that the game wasn't designed with 60fps in mind so you will can also get funky collision detection problems.

EDIT
Ninja'd by MysterD, damn thread moves to fast!

[/QUOTE]

Great, gotta love it when I see I missed a typo only after being quoted.

[quote name='Davinatorman']I can sort of understand the "inexperience" view of it, but then again, one person fixing the resolution issue in less than a day doesn't really say much for them. It becomes a question of "were they not physically able to adequately port the game?" versus "did they even bother?"

Fair enough for Alan Wake, but I still present you with DmC.[/QUOTE]

Polygon interview w/ Durante says plenty about this man w/ a PhD in Comp Sci that certainly knows his way around DirectX and tinkered all kinds of tweaks w/ many games using DX9.0 really shows why and how he came up w/ the fix so quickly.
Also, about Capcom - they know what they are doing now. They've been putting A LOT of time and effort into making really good PC ports, for the last few years. They been doing so, after Res Evil 4 PC got so much flack for being "consolized", more or less.
Since SF4 PC, they been banking out great PC-featured ports.

I think the only real complaint we can have w/ many Capcom games on the PC...they keep using G4WL!

EDIT:
[quote name='DonRamon']You have to understand that DS is not an arcade game, it just doesn't lend itself to a faster pace. Every battle needs delicate timing and that timing was developed around 30fps I guess, another guess is that maybe they never imagined they would be porting it to a platform capable of running DS at 1080/60.

In consoles it runs at 720/30, it's logical, for them, to have developed the game around such limitations.

It sounds like you have not played it, I strongly suggest to do so, we might not get another one like this, so old fashioned hardcore gaming goodness, in years, if at all.
[/QUOTE]
Agreed 100% w/ this.

Uh, that doesn't explain why the developers said that they purposely wanted DmC to be at 30 fps. If 30 fps DmC is how it's supposed to be played, why are they reneging on that for the pc version?

And yeah, Game for Windows Live is stupid. Ironically, Dark Souls also has that on it's list of problems.

Also, Capcom needs to put more of their games on sale for 75%..

I've played a bit of it at a friends house, which is why I was initially interested in it (it's really fun), but if I'm going to get threatened with a ban for removing the fps lock, something which should have been done from the start, then fuck buying it.

@Dark Souls 1 day fix, so Durante didn't even need the game to fix the resolution problem. This helps From Software's case how?

[quote name='Davinatorman']
I never said anything about excusing them for it. I said they had a plausible reason for it (facial expressions being recorded in 30 fps), something Dark Souls does not have.[/quote]
So, letting the cap fly off the hinges in Dark Souls to break the game's collision-detection is NOT a plausible reason for them to keep the cap at 30 FPS?
{Eyebrow raised}

I personally think that we as pc users should be allowed to mess with how our games play. L.A Noire's the only game I can think of that has a good reason for it (I have no interest in buying it, regardless), every other game has no excuse for imposing a cap, though (community mods somewhat help this, though). Dark Souls takes it even further. What other games can you possibly get banned from playing online just for removing the fps cap?
That's b/c the FPS-unlimited actually ALTERS the actual game-code.
ALTERING game-code is NOT allowed on G4WL/XBL period.

EDIT:
[quote name='Davinatorman']Uh, that doesn't explain why the developers said that they purposely wanted DmC to be at 30 fps. If 30 fps DmC is how it's supposed to be played, why are they reneging on that for the pc version?[/quote]
Most PC gamers prefer 60 FPS, as you know.
Yes, even I normally prefer 60 FPS.
But, here's the thing - if the game is working fine at 30 FPS and stays around there, it's NOT a problem for me. I'm fine with that.

And yeah, Game for Windows Live is stupid. Ironically, Dark Souls also has that on it's list of problems.
Dark Souls was already on X360.
They don't need to rip-out or add any Net-code to get this game working on the PC - they can just leave it as is.
Microsoft G4WL and XBL Net-code are one entity, more or less.
This saves the publisher and dev's some money, time, and resources on the port.

I've played a bit of it at a friends house, which is why I was initially interested in it (it's really fun), but if I'm going to get threatened with a ban for removing the fps lock, something which should have been done from the start, then fuck buying it.

@Dark Souls 1 day fix, so Durante didn't even need the game to fix the resolution problem. This helps From Software's case how?
It helps From Software and Namco save money.
They let the modders do most of the legwork for them, if you want to look at it that way.

BTW - Durante didn't remove the framerate cap; another modder did.

While Dark Souls PC is an extremely basic port (unmodded), it's better to have here than just NOT AT ALL.
Look at what modders have done already to make the PC-version better and improve it - and that's just great.
Modders have done so much over the years to make old classics run, look better, restore content, add new content, and preserve the life of games.
I'm always for games getting PC ports - especially when the modders want to take action.

Davinatorman: Let me save you some trouble. Just give up now.

He will go on, and on, and on, and on, and on and on and on with waving his opinion like a righteous banner and keep having to have the last god damned word and you'll be coming back here when you're 80 and he'll still be going on about it.

Just let him win at the internets and spend your time on something more productive.

So, letting the cap fly off the hinges in Dark Souls to break the game's collision-detection is NOT a plausible reason for them to keep the cap at 30 FPS?

{Eyebrow raised}
Had From Software actually competently ported the game and worked on the fps issue, the collision-detection issue would have never existed in the first place. Willing to bet the community's working on a fix for that, too.

That's b/c the FPS-unlimited actually ALTERS the actual game-code.
ALTERING game-code is NOT allowed on G4WL/XBL period.
You're right, linking the fps lock to something so integral was incredibly, ridiculously, horrendously, stupendously stupid of them, and the reason I'm not going to buy this game above an extremely heavy discount (if the game wasn't so fun and unique, I would never buy it period).

Again, let me emphasize that from what I played of Dark Souls, it was incredibly fun. But I'm not sure how a low fps lock is better than letting us decide what our fps wants to be, "it was meant to be played in 30 fps" is not a plausible reason, it doesn't work for any other 30 fps-locked game either except mayyyyyyybe LA Noire, and that's for purely technical reasons.

BTW - Durante didn't remove the framerate cap; another modder did.
Never said he did.

While Dark Souls PC is an extremely basic port (unmodded), it's better to have here than just NOT AT ALL.
Look at what modders have done already to make the PC-version better and improve it - and that's just great.
It may be better than nothing at all, but since people are paying money for the thing, it better be up to reasonable expectations. From Software is getting my money, not the community, so saying "let the community fix it" is not acceptable either.

edit: last post regarding Dark Souls. Apologies for derailing the thread

[quote name='Amazon DVG Deals']I thought I asked you to stop posting pictures of my family dude?

Cheers,
Tony[/QUOTE]
Well, at least they were clothed this time!

Cheers,
Idiot

[quote name='Idiotekque']Well, at least they were clothed this time!

Cheers,
Idiot[/QUOTE]

Yeah those pictures from the Judge Judy episode gone wrong were not cool.

Cheers,
Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back