Amazon PCDD $15 Walking Dead, $10 TERA ($15 CE) + BOGO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazon DVG Deals

Official Representative
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hi CAGs,

NOTE: Preorder information is now in the second post of this thread.

War of the Roses - 10% off + free upgrade to House of York edition.

Deal of the week 9/16-9/22:

The Walking Dead (PC/MAC): $14.99 - Steam
Tera Standard Edition: $9.99 + $9.99 credit for another copy to give to a friend
Tera Collector's Edition: $14.99 + $14.99 credit for another copy to give to a friend

Please check out our newly launched Free-to-Play store when you get a moment!

I wanted to let you all know about some exciting new selection we just launched supported by a new technology.

As of today, Amazon.com will be offering Free to Play and MMO games that you can purchase virtual goods, currencies, and subscriptions for on Amazon.com. These purchases will be delivered directly into your game account. We're calling this new service Game Connect.

Amazon has teamed up with our launch partners to bring Amazon customers exclusive content and bonus offers for the opening of the Free to Play store. Here is some of the cool stuff you'll get just for linking your Amazon account with a game account:

Super MNC: Customers who link their Amazon account with a Super MNC account will receive an exclusive Team Spirit Assault Rifle. This weapon for the Assault Pro has a unique, team colored, metal barrel shroud and is only available through Amazon.

Stronghold Kingdoms: Customers who link their Amazon accounts with a Stronghold Kingdoms account will receive a starter pack valued at $10. This pack includes: 10 packs of strategy cards (50 cards), 100 card points, and a 7 day premium token (7 days of Premium).

Shin Megami Tensei: Customers who link their Amazon accounts with a Shin Megami Tensei account will receive a free Incense of Training. By making a purchase of 3,500 Crowns, customers will also receive a voucher (Candle), which is exchangeable for a Heart Candle Necklace. Customers who reach level 20 during the 12 week launch period, they will receive another voucher (Depository Rental Ticket).

Rise of Immortals: Customers who link their Amazon accounts with a Rise of Immortals account will receive a free character bundle. This exclusive bundle includes Karapyss and his alternate character skins Scarab and Pirate.

BattleSpace: Customers who link their Amazon accounts with a BattleSpace account will receive 100 honor medals. By making a purchase of 3,500 Crowns, customers will also receive Commander Alya. Customers who reach level 10 before October 6th, will receive an additional 100 honor medals and ship parts set (α x20, β x4, γ x2).

Iron Grip: Marauders: Customers who link their Amazon accounts with an Iron Grip: Marauders account will be given a booster pack containing 5000 Gold, 2000 iron, repair truck level 2, ambulance level 2, and a tri-scout Level 1.

Allods: Customers who link their Amazon accounts with an Allods account will receive an exclusive starter package, valued at $15. This pack includes: 4x Token of the Explorer that can be brought to the Goblin Banker in your faction's capital in exchange for an increase in the size of the customer’s bag or bank deposit box, a Medium Bag of Crystal Chips that, combined with Gold Dust in-game, allow customers to combine/upgrade runes that increase damage/healing, and an Enchanted Saddle that summons a Rank 1 horse mount.

Pirate Galaxy: Customers who link their Amazon accounts with a Pirate Galaxy account will receive a Rapid Tank Starter Ship and 1,500 Energy to fuel the best items available.

Fiesta: Customers who purchase SparkCash to use in Fiesta will receive a 30-day swift and mighty Dark Pegasus Mount.

8BitMMO: Customers who link their Amazon accounts with an 8BitMMO account will receive three, exclusive, brand-new hats. These hats are a Cowboy Hat, a Blue Baseball Cap, and a Duck. Link your account and start your 8 bit adventure today.

Aika: Customers who link their Amazon accounts with an Aika account will receive an exclusive starter package valued at $15. This pack includes a Mount and Mount Saddle. Use the mount to travel far distances in half the time and resist environmental damages. Use the Mount Saddle to lower the requirement to ride other mounts.

Knights of the Sky: Customers who link their Amazon accounts with a Knights of the Sky account will receive a free Happy Hour, which increases the likelihood of recruiting better Heroes. Purchase 3,500 Crowns or more through Amazon and receive a free Labor Decree, which increases Construction queues from 3 to 5, or purchase 35,000 crowns or more and receive an exclusive free Hero (valid on first purchase only). Reach level 20 before October 6th, and receive 6 items that increase resource gain by 25%. Start playing today.

Rappelz: Customers who link their Amazon accounts with a Rappelz. account will get an exclusive starter package, valued at $15. This pack includes a Stamina Saver that stops stamina from decreasing for 1 hour, an Animal Cracker used to earn 50% more EXP for 1 hour, a Pet Resurrection Spell book that resurrects pets instantly after a fall in battle, a Feather of Summon which instantly summons a friend to aide in battle, and a Hidden Village Pass that gives 7 days of access to the exclusive Hidden Village.

Luvinia: Customers who make any purchase of SparkCash to use in Luvinia will receive a 30-day Flying Griffin Mount.

Flyff: Customers who link their Amazon accounts with a Flyff account will receive an exclusive starter package, valued at $15. This package contains a Magic Broom that allows customers to start flying immediately, bypassing the level 20 requirement, an S Protect Gift Box which will allow customers to upgrade an item to create stronger stats right from the start, a random Gift Box that contains something special, a Police Outfit, and a Kitty Pet to help collect loot.

Steel Legions: Customers who link their Amazon accounts with a NEW Steel Legions account will receive one of three different, fully equipped premium tanks.

Pandora Saga: Customers who link their Amazon accounts with a Pandora Saga account will receive a Beginner Gear set. Customers who purchase 3,500 Crowns or more through Amazon will receive Recipe: Wing Shield Vol. 1 (first time purchasers only). Customers who reach Level 20 before October 6th will receive a horse mount.

And that's just the free stuff you get with linking.

We're also carrying the games below and offering Amazon exclusive in-game packs for each game which provide a higher value than normal virtual good purchases.

World of Tanks: Customers can purchase three different Amazon-exclusive World of Tanks packs: Starter Pack, Advanced Pack, and Expert Pack.

Runescape: Customers who purchase a 90 or 180 day membership package for Runescape will receive an exclusive Golden Katana.

War Inc. Battle Zone: Customers are able to purchase three different War Inc. Battle Zone Amazon exclusive packs: the Merc Pack, Heroic Pack, and Kill Em All Pack

Pre-Order Borderlands 2 from us for 10% off and help me get a tattoo! Yes it activates on Steam!

I am a huge Borderlands 2 fan and I want this to be our best selling pre-order ever. So I've drawn a line in the sand. If, from now until launch, we take 40,000 more preorders than where we were on 7/2/2012 I will get a Borderlands tattoo on my back.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Tony
Can't you make a poll for that list in the thread? Wouldn't that be more efficient than pages of people shouting games they want? Not trying to sound like a dick, but there has to be a better way.

[quote name='walkonshadows']@Tony
Can't you make a poll for that list in the thread? Wouldn't that be more efficient than pages of people shouting games they want? Not trying to sound like a dick, but there has to be a better way.[/QUOTE]

From Tony's original post I thought he wanted people to propose bundles of 25-30 games they would like to see. I interpreted as people maybe trying to come up with thematic bundles of things they would buy (like an adventure bundle). I don't think he just wanted people to post the games they want most or a list of games they didn't already have. Because then he might as well just make random bundles...lol

I can't seem to find the war games bundle from the Strategy First list on Amazon's website. Does anyone know what is included in this bundle?

[quote name='Rerujnoc']I can't seem to find the war games bundle from the Strategy First list on Amazon's website. Does anyone know what is included in this bundle?[/QUOTE]

I believe its not added yet.

I didn't go through all of the Strategy first games, but looks like there are enough games to do like 25-30 Adventure/Fantasy games, 25-30 Racing/Vehicle (planes, tanks, ships) games, 25 Strategy Games (various types). Possibly enough for a Shooter bundle and a spaceish bundle.

[quote name='Rerujnoc']I can't seem to find the war games bundle from the Strategy First list on Amazon's website. Does anyone know what is included in this bundle?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='TheHeretic']I believe its not added yet.[/QUOTE]

http://www.amazon.com/Strategy-First-40793ames-Bundle2-Download/dp/B005LR3BT4

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I didn't go through all of the Strategy first games, but looks like there are enough games to do like 25-30 Adventure/Fantasy games, 25-30 Racing/Vehicle (planes, tanks, ships) games, 25 Strategy Games (various types). Possibly enough for a Shooter bundle and a spaceish bundle.[/QUOTE]

This.... Thematic bundles are what would need to happen with these games. Personally, I'd jump on the racing/vehicle bundle even though I have the flat out games and that naval one from a recent bundle (forgot the name, I need to stop buying games!!)

well if the 1c bundle was supposed to be composed of all those games and amazon system is having a hard time handling that many games and keys(steam and non steam ones), why don't you charge for the 1c bundle and then comprise it of sub bundle of 30 games if that is what the system can handle.
What I mean is charge the $15.99 for the 1c bundle but what appears in your library would be the sub bundles comprised of the games( strategy first bundle, strategy second bundle...). Would that work or am I totally missing the point?(also sorry if this makes no sense, english is not my first language).

Id buy a bundle for mashed alone. Many may know it by the american release name, drive to survive. I still play that game on the of Xbox with friends and have a blast. I played it with a big group over the labor day weekend and we had a blast. It's not complex or fair but you get a few friends to play it and it's awesome.

[quote name='xamon']well if the 1c bundle was supposed to be composed of all those games and amazon system is having a hard time handling that many games and keys(steam and non steam ones), why don't you charge for the 1c bundle and then comprise it of sub bundle of 30 games if that is what the system can handle.
What I mean is charge the $15.99 for the 1c bundle but what appears in your library would be the sub bundles comprised of the games( strategy first bundle, strategy second bundle...). Would that work or am I totally missing the point?(also sorry if this makes no sense, english is not my first language).[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure if I'm just repeating what you said basically, or if you just made me think of another idea, but if a 20-30 game pack would work, you could always just split the 1C pack into three parts (and game themes). That way you would just buy each part for $5 each.

Then again, that allows people to pick and choose more, which is kinda the opposite of what a publisher is trying to do when they sell big bundles. They want the buyer to spend the maximum price to get the games they want as well as the games they don't really want. Allowing the buyer to get just the games they want for a third of the price kills that strategy.

Then again, if you just split up the big name games...

I hate to say it but I don't agree with you at all on pricing. Cags are a small small part of the market and most people don't follow indie bundles. That many games for 10-12.50 is more than fair.

[quote name='xamon']well if the 1c bundle was supposed to be composed of all those games and amazon system is having a hard time handling that many games and keys(steam and non steam ones), why don't you charge for the 1c bundle and then comprise it of sub bundle of 30 games if that is what the system can handle.
What I mean is charge the $15.99 for the 1c bundle but what appears in your library would be the sub bundles comprised of the games( strategy first bundle, strategy second bundle...). Would that work or am I totally missing the point?(also sorry if this makes no sense, english is not my first language).[/QUOTE]
Or... just split them into bundles of 15 or 30 games for $15 each, then buy one and get the others free.

[quote name='pROvIs']I hate to say it but I don't agree with you at all on pricing. Cags are a small small part of the market and most people don't follow indie bundles. That many games for 10-12.50 is more than fair.[/QUOTE]
Oh no, I think the price is fair, but like I said, it's not very appealing in comparison to the 1C bundle we're all waiting for. I know that I would just wait it out if it went up for $12.50. I may bite at $10 though (like you said).

If we aren't speaking from the perspective of CAGs, people buy stuff at full price all the time. :cry:

[quote name='dark2025']Split the bundle into 3 parts, charge each $15, then allow the buyer to get the other 2 parts for free via coupons or something.[/QUOTE]
Not a bad idea.

[quote name='Idiotekque']I'm not sure if I'm just repeating what you said basically, or if you just made me think of another idea, but if a 20-30 game pack would work, you could always just split the 1C pack into three parts (and game themes). That way you would just buy each part for $5 each.
[/QUOTE]
Split the bundle into 3 parts, charge each $15, then allow the buyer to get the other 2 parts for free via coupons or something.

[quote name='dark2025']Split the bundle into 3 parts, charge each $15, then allow the buyer to get the other 2 parts for free via coupons or something.[/QUOTE]

That's a great idea, although it might confuse people that don't visit the forums that Tony is posting deals on.

yea i proposed my "solution" under the premise that we were working toward trying to recreate the 1c bundle at the price at which it was announced. but either way it is a great price for that many games and thank you tony for giving us the opportunity to buy those games at that price.

For the Strategy First bundle, I'm pitching my vote toward an all-Steam edition. It's been said before, but I don't have the time, patience, or attention span to track my games outside of Steam. Plus I have to support Steam for being the closest thing to an XBLA/PSN experience on PC and bringing PC gaming back to the mainstream as a result.

I like buying games on Amazon, but I don't buy it if it's not a Steam key, period.

The Sonic Generations DLC isn't worth it unless it's cheap. It's just sort of a pinball diversion and not a full pinball level or anything. :)

[quote name='Lint21']For the Strategy First bundle, I'm pitching my vote toward an all-Steam edition. It's been said before, but I don't have the time, patience, or attention span to track my games outside of Steam. Plus I have to support Steam for being the closest thing to an XBLA/PSN experience on PC and bringing PC gaming back to the mainstream as a result.

I like buying games on Amazon, but I don't buy it if it's not a Steam key, period.[/QUOTE]

I'm all in for this one as well, all-steam bundle of the Strategy First games.

Strategy first is where indie gala gets about 90% of the shovelware they put in their bundles. I'm gonna hold off for the 1c bundle myself. Get the rest of this stuff from them when it hits their bundles.

Btw some of the games on that list are on steam but not published by strategy first on steam IE: ninja blade. So no steam key for that one

My vote goes to the "all steam" bundle. Remember GG sold the entire collection at $20, but only a couple games with Steam keys. If you split by theme, will always be compared in price with the GG one, but if you offer something like 30 games with steam keys, that will be very different and crazy! I believe that could be a beginning and a good stress test. Then you may try selling a bigger package depending on the results.

I will buy that steam bundle. I didn't bite at the GG deal mostly because it's a pain to handle that many games manually. Steam is better at handling mass amount of games. Is just my humble opinion

I support the All-Steam bundle (of course, removing duplicates (i.e. the individual parts of Disciples II gold, or the Iron Clads collection). Also include the non-steam Disciples II and Jagged Alliance games (since they seem to be the ones most easily recognized)

Tony - any idea when/if The Secret World might go on sale again? Missed it last time :(

Edit - oh, and add another vote for the steam bundle idea!

i vote for the steam bundle too. there were also some good ideas as well.
1. theme bundle
2. combo bundle (action, strategy, sports, etc...)
3. drm free bundle (if you don't want steam)
4. pick your own "x" number of games bundle for like $10

[quote name='Duckvader']Hey Tony do you think we can get a price match on these games or even some of them? (preferably Need for Speed: The Run) THANK YOU :D

https://www.impulsedriven.com/explore/games/onsale/region-only

And thanks for your involvement in this community and all the previous sales.[/QUOTE]

Need to chat with the team here, stay tuned.

[quote name='glennfrank']Tony - any idea when/if The Secret World might go on sale again? Missed it last time :([/QUOTE]

I don't have anything on the schedule yet, but I will let you know if/when I do.

[quote name='darcmin']i vote for the steam bundle too. there were also some good ideas as well.
1. theme bundle
2. combo bundle (action, strategy, sports, etc...)
3. drm free bundle (if you don't want steam)
4. pick your own "x" number of games bundle for like $10[/QUOTE]

Alright so I'm going to go ahead and push for an all steam bundle. Stay tuned.

As for the suggestions regarding smaller, lower priced bundles, or coupons for additional games. These are all solutions that seem pretty simple to the folks here who have direct access to this conversation. I want to make sure it isn't a huge point of confusion for everyone else though.

Cheers,
Tony

A few questions for ya Tony.

1. Whichever 30ish game bundle ya come up with for us first can we have the Kalypso bundle with it? I'm bundle-starved and need a double helping~

2. While it's not a PCDD I thought I'd ask anyway. I'd like to pre-order :ps3:RE6 from Amazon, but I want the Anthology version. This version doesn't list the $10 amazon credit as a pre-order bonus. Any idea why or if that could change?

3. Any chance you'd ask if Hanako Games would do a bundle? I'd probably buy their complete collection for $20, but I'm most interested in the 3 VN's (Fatal Hearts, Science Girls!, and Date Warp). $12.50-$15 would be a nice price for those 3.

[quote name='Amazon DVG Deals']

Cheers,
Tony[/QUOTE]

SWEET! Thanks T$!!!

[/QUOTE]

Just a reminder: put jagged alliance on that bundle, is one of the top games on the list.

Don't know if it's been answered or not nor do I want to look through the threads and searching didn't help.

Any news on Dishonored DD/possible deals?

Reason I ask is I got a friend who is going to pay me via Amazon GC for his part of the Borderlands 2 4-pack and I want to grab dishonored with that credit if possible.

[quote name='juanjava']Just a reminder: put jagged alliance on that bundle, is one of the top games on the list.[/QUOTE]

You forgot to say, "Please."

I love buying from Amazon.. but again, like others said, I only want to use Steam, so I'm not buying games that only work outside steam... I don't have the time to go all around finding my games... as I don't game that much, but I like to buy nice bundles for sure.

[quote name='Estbarul']I love buying from Amazon.. but again, like others said, I only want to use Steam, so I'm not buying games that only work outside steam... I don't have the time to go all around finding my games... as I don't game that much, but I like to buy nice bundles for sure.[/QUOTE]

What's wrong with Amazon? I don't get the idea that a game collection should be ALL on Steam. Competition is great and if there is a company that is less likely than Valve to shut down and me losing my game collection, it Amazon.

[quote name='inm8num2']You forgot to say, "Please."[/QUOTE]

hahaha... Ok, so "please, can the bundle include jagged alliance". Already have that game, retail, but it never hurts to have a digital version

Tony, while I am not against an all-steam bundle, I think a majority of people on amazon (not us CAGs) dont care if they are on steam or not. In fact, I am sure most of them would prefer DRM free games. I dont mind DRM free games myself as I can easily add them to my steam library right after I buy them. If you are buying so many games that you cant keep track of them, that is your fault. I still think with these strategy first games, a few thematic bundles would sell very well. Great if you can do an all steam bundle but if the games are unrelated to each other and I am only interested in a few then I probably wont bite. Now, if you make a racing/vehicle bundle with these strategy first games, I and probably many other people who enjoy racing games would definitely bite. So, pretty please will you make a racing bundle out of that list?

TL/DR- Strategy First Racing/Vehicle Bundle

688I Hunter Killer
A.I.M. Racing
Air Raid
Airport Control Simulator
Amsterdam Street Racer
Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord
Dangerous Waters
Dark Star One
Death Track: Resurrection
Desert Gunner
Ducati World Championship
Emergency 3
Enemy Engaged 2
Flat Out
Flatout: Ultimate Carnage
Hard Truck Apocalypse
Hard Truck Apocalypse: Rise of the Clans
Iron Warriors
Mashed
Panzer Killer
Railway Mogul
Stalingrad
Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942
Sub Command
Super Taxi Driver
Taxi 3 Extreme Rush
Victorian Admirals Anthology
Victorian Admirals Caroline Crisis
Victorian Admirals Marianas Incident
Victorian Admirals Panama Incident
Victorian Admirals Samoan Crisis

30 games in all. Threw a couple of RTS games in there as they are still mainly vehicle/naval control. Also, those last few Victorian games did not look very fun. Maybe only put a couple of those if you want to cut down on the amount of games. This bundle at 9.99 or 12.49 would interest me very much.

Alright so I'm going to go ahead and push for an all steam bundle. Stay tuned.[/QUOTE]
Thank you so much! I know a lot of us will be interested in this bundle.

[quote name='voken']What's wrong with Amazon? I don't get the idea that a game collection should be ALL on Steam. Competition is great and if there is a company that is less likely than Valve to shut down and me losing my game collection, it Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Agreed 100%.

If games are Non-Steam - hell, you can just add most of these games as Non-Steam games over Steam if need-be, anyways.

Even though I doubt Valve will go under; or that I doubt that sell to EA anytime soon or anybody else anytime soon - this way if Valve never lives up to their promise (to pull the DRM plug, if they go away), I won't have to complain & worry about my games if the games are DRM-FREE. DRM-FREE guarantees that my games are indeed MY GAMES.

If there's an option to go Steam or DRM-FREE, DRM-FREE wins for me almost every time.

I like having OPTIONS.

[quote name='voken']What's wrong with Amazon? I don't get the idea that a game collection should be ALL on Steam. Competition is great and if there is a company that is less likely than Valve to shut down and me losing my game collection, it Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Nothing is "wrong" with Amazon. They are a fine retailer, offering a great selection of products at competitive prices with excellent service. This is why they are starting to dominate the retail sector, taking huge chunks of traditional stores business (Best Buy, etc.) and even scaring progressive online services like Netflix. I shop at Amazon all the time, more than enough to justify my Prime membership.

It's simply that many of us use Steam as our primary "platform" for PC gaming and prefer not to keep track of games in other ways. I was a PC gamer for years - cut my teeth in the 386 days with Sierra and Lucasarts adventures and joystick flight sims and shooters. I kept playing on PC until around when Half Life 2 was released in 2004. Shortly thereafter, consoles began to offer a superior platform. One place to keep track of your achievements, friends, and digital purchases.

I stopped playing PC games largely because it was more complicated and difficult to get games to work and to keep track of the install files, patches, etc. Consoles handles all of that for me. They also gave me a nice digital library that I could quickly load any game from. The PC attempts at doing this were clunky at best and never received mass adoption. As an adult with a job, family, and community commitments, I don't have the time or patience to do anything other than what consoles allowed me to do, which was just play a game.

I think a lot of people drifted away from PC gaming when I did, and for many of the same reasons. When I returned to PC gaming a couple of years ago, it was due ONLY to Steam having matured as a platform. It auto-patches my games, almost every game on it works on my PC, has friends list and chat, etc., etc. Not to mention the insane prices on the Steam store and from places like Amazon for Steamworks titles.

PC gaming was on the verge of dying due to the easier, more accessible experience of console gaming. It is back now in a big way, and I think that Valve and their Steam platform are owed most of the credit. They have taken a fragmented market and consolidated it, giving PC gamers a place to centralize. Oh, and they've done it right, with consumer-friendly policies and reducing piracy along the way.

I believe PC *is* the superior platform - it always was from a technical perspective, and now it has the central platform to back it up. I personally support Steam not just for the fact that it's easier for me, but because I believe it is responsible for the current health of PC gaming. This is why I despise EA's Origin, UBISoft's UPLay, and other similar blatant attempts to cut into the market-share that Steam has built up. Those competing services will only serve to fragment the market again, not to mention make the PC gaming experience a difficult and frustrating one (which client is this in? what patches do I need?).

This isn't about "competition being good". Amazon likely would never have opened a DVG store if not for the progress that Steam has made in establishing PC gaming as viable again. This is why all of those comments about "Amazon is crushing Steam in the Winter sale this year rahrah!" are so silly. While Amazon may not like Steam as a fellow digital store with low prices, they need them as a platform. And though you "don't get" that all of a game collection should be on Steam, I frankly cannot be bothered any more to manage digital content for something as frivolous as video games in more than one location per platform.

tldr; I like Steam cuz everything is in one place. Also, Valve rules, EA drools. And I'm old.

Just unlurking to say that I agree with the above text wall, would rather buy my games on Steam for the convenience and am only interested in a Steam only bundle.

I really doubt Amazon has been moving more and more toward Steam key reliance just becasue of "us CAGS." They probably have sales data that supports the move.

Also agree with text wall. Steam is just so convenient. I install/uninstall games all the time because I have a relatively small HD and it's so easy with Steam. Not to mention automatic patches, cloud saves, big picture mode, trading and gifting, etc just streamline the experience so much that I don't buy anything that doesn't activate there.

[quote name='Corpekata']I really doubt Amazon has been moving more and more toward Steam key reliance just becasue of "us CAGS." They probably have sales data that supports the move.[/QUOTE]

Yes for the 3 or 4 people that whine about games not being on steam there are droves more that want it that way. Which is why I would imagine amazon is now trying to offer more. Check out the hive mind on reddit which gets loads more people than out forum here. The steam or no sale sentiment runs strong.

I also agree with the text wall God, he is most correct and has earned my faith in his deity. All shall come to know the love of the wall-of-text and be complacent in his love.

@Tony What about having a master list of 30+ games (whatever it is) and a set price for 20 of them or so, and every gets to pick from that list. If they were all going on sale anyway, as in the case of the 1C bundle, all of them. Then why not set a lower total number (whenever the tech guys find the magic limit) and let the customer build their own package "build-a-bundle style"?

[quote name='walkonshadows']I also agree with the text wall God, he is most correct and has earned my faith in his deity. All shall come to know the love of the wall-of-text and be complacent in his love.

@Tony What about having a master list of 30+ games (whatever it is) and a set price for 20 of them or so, and every gets to pick from that list. If they were all going on sale anyway, as in the case of the 1C bundle, all of them. Then why not set a lower total number (whenever the tech guys find the magic limit) and let the customer build their own package "build-a-bundle style"?[/QUOTE]

as it stands now you cant even check out with multiple digital items (at least last month i couldn't.) i cant see how they could implement something like that without fixing that fatal flaw first

[quote name='Lint21']
Nothing is "wrong" with Amazon. They are a fine retailer, offering a great selection of products at competitive prices with excellent service. This is why they are starting to dominate the retail sector, taking huge chunks of traditional stores business (Best Buy, etc.) and even scaring progressive online services like Netflix. I shop at Amazon all the time, more than enough to justify my Prime membership.

It's simply that many of us use Steam as our primary "platform" for PC gaming and prefer not to keep track of games in other ways. I was a PC gamer for years - cut my teeth in the 386 days with Sierra and Lucasarts adventures and joystick flight sims and shooters. I kept playing on PC until around when Half Life 2 was released in 2004. Shortly thereafter, consoles began to offer a superior platform. One place to keep track of your achievements, friends, and digital purchases.

I stopped playing PC games largely because it was more complicated and difficult to get games to work and to keep track of the install files, patches, etc. Consoles handles all of that for me. They also gave me a nice digital library that I could quickly load any game from. The PC attempts at doing this were clunky at best and never received mass adoption. As an adult with a job, family, and community commitments, I don't have the time or patience to do anything other than what consoles allowed me to do, which was just play a game.

I think a lot of people drifted away from PC gaming when I did, and for many of the same reasons. When I returned to PC gaming a couple of years ago, it was due ONLY to Steam having matured as a platform. It auto-patches my games, almost every game on it works on my PC, has friends list and chat, etc., etc. Not to mention the insane prices on the Steam store and from places like Amazon for Steamworks titles.

PC gaming was on the verge of dying due to the easier, more accessible experience of console gaming. It is back now in a big way, and I think that Valve and their Steam platform are owed most of the credit. They have taken a fragmented market and consolidated it, giving PC gamers a place to centralize. Oh, and they've done it right, with consumer-friendly policies and reducing piracy along the way.

I believe PC *is* the superior platform - it always was from a technical perspective, and now it has the central platform to back it up. I personally support Steam not just for the fact that it's easier for me, but because I believe it is responsible for the current health of PC gaming. This is why I despise EA's Origin, UBISoft's UPLay, and other similar blatant attempts to cut into the market-share that Steam has built up. Those competing services will only serve to fragment the market again, not to mention make the PC gaming experience a difficult and frustrating one (which client is this in? what patches do I need?).

This isn't about "competition being good". Amazon likely would never have opened a DVG store if not for the progress that Steam has made in establishing PC gaming as viable again. This is why all of those comments about "Amazon is crushing Steam in the Winter sale this year rahrah!" are so silly. While Amazon may not like Steam as a fellow digital store with low prices, they need them as a platform. And though you "don't get" that all of a game collection should be on Steam, I frankly cannot be bothered any more to manage digital content for something as frivolous as video games in more than one location per platform.

tldr; I like Steam cuz everything is in one place. Also, Valve rules, EA drools. And I'm old.
[/QUOTE]

Well, how can I compete with that wall of text?

Anyway, while Amazon has many things they need to learn/fix in their digital downloads selections (like multiple game orders as stupidproz pointed out), they had 1 major thing that Steam had not been able to compete well with...customer service.

Any problem from Steam takes days through their Support. Amazon, I can call them up and talk to a person almost immediately. Heck, they even refund digital games apparently (as I learned here in the forum)
Yes, I know that digital games do not officially get refunded but was making a point.

If you ever get locked out of Steam, you're boned for at least a couple of days (rare but would still suck)

For me it's not just convience. It's more of I have more games right now on Steam than space on HD's that I have can fill and well even if I got all of those Steam games DRM free, I would have no way to keep copies of all of them, so I would need to rely on digital downloading anyway to keep my games. I use Amazon as a service for games anyway, works great, but there becomes a point where gaming feels too much like work if I actually need to keep track of every place I own a DD of a game.

Not trying to say Steam is good or bad one way or another but in some situations it's handy.

LMAO @ the responses... "text wall god" :)

Greyghost, welcome to the land of non-lurkers!

voken, I hope my post didn't really come across at hostile toward you. I meant it more as a general response to all the anti-Steam stuff I see, as well as a way of furthering my not-so-hidden agenda of urging Tony to sell more Steam keys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back