Amazon preorders for DSi now available (both colors, $169.99 shipped) ** BACK UP **

Is it just me or does that shade of blue look hideous? I'll stick with my red & black DS Lite thank you very much.

[quote name='shrike4242']Well, it looks like it's a yes and no answer to that question:

http://ds.ign.com/articles/954/954616p2.html

Guess I will have to set up an AP for WEP only just for the DSi, like I would for the DS. :wall:[/quote]

FTA: "The second three profiles in the DSi Wi-Fi options menu are for Nintendo DSi-native software, including the DSi Shop Channel as well as the downloadable Opera Browser. These second-tier profiles can use enhanced encryption, including WPA and WPA2. It has to be noted that, to remain compatible with the Nintendo DS and DS Lite, existing online DS games can only use the first three profiles which cannot use the enhanced WPA protection. "

Why would they bother having two tiers of encryption? I can't believe the network features on a DS Lite game are affected by the encryption protocol that the hardware is performing...unless the WPA encryption is so processor intensive that it can't handle it and video gaming at the same time. Apparently WPA encryption and web browsing are fine though?

Ordered one of each color. One day shipping. If I can sell one and pay off most of the other, I'll keep one. If not, and I can sell both for profit, I will.

If it looks like there won't be a demand for these, I'll cancel the preorders....plenty of time to see what will happen until April gets here.

[quote name='sickenmcsluggets']FTA: "The second three profiles in the DSi Wi-Fi options menu are for Nintendo DSi-native software, including the DSi Shop Channel as well as the downloadable Opera Browser. These second-tier profiles can use enhanced encryption, including WPA and WPA2. It has to be noted that, to remain compatible with the Nintendo DS and DS Lite, existing online DS games can only use the first three profiles which cannot use the enhanced WPA protection. "

Why would they bother having two tiers of encryption? I can't believe the network features on a DS Lite game are affected by the encryption protocol that the hardware is performing...unless the WPA encryption is so processor intensive that it can't handle it and video gaming at the same time. Apparently WPA encryption and web browsing are fine though?[/quote]

Just reading that actually...

Also found this too...
http://exophase.com/ds/nintendo-dsi-wpa-capabilities-will-not-extend-to-legacy-software-8327.htm

Which lead me to this...
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=198728

Kind of off-putting. Looks like I'll be sticking with my Lime and Black DSL's

I'm in for one. The black looks pretty nice on some of the video previews I've seen.

Though I might cancel depending on the amount of money I have.

Yep, between that, the battery life, the price, and the region-locking, it sounds like if what you really want to do is play DS games, the DS Lite is what you want. Plus if the DS Lite gets marked down eventually against the DSi, then that will be even better. Also, what the hell am I going to do with AAC? All I have are mp3s.

Region locked? fuck. I bought the Phoenix Wright series via Play Asia. So that's three games that will be useless along with no GBA support and shorter battery. Dammit.

These things look so sexy, but they're way too expensive. This is the price I'd pay for a whole new generation with faster hardware.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Region locked? fuck. I bought the Phoenix Wright series via Play Asia. So that's three games that will be useless along with no GBA support and shorter battery. Dammit.[/QUOTE]

Nope, your wrong. Old DS games will NOT be region locked. Only DSiWare and DSi only games will be region locked. As for shorter battery life, to each his own. I usually never let it drain below red for a significant amount of time, so I keep it charged. Bigger screen, faster processor, more RAM, I'll definitely get it down the line, but not until a white one comes out. How the hell did they figure leaving white out was a good idea? They don't like matching Wiis and DSis?

[quote name='danny8k']I just don't get it. Shouldn't the encryption be handled by the embedded firmware on the DSi? I doesn't make sense that every game has to handle the network layer.
I wonder why nintendo makes these kinds of decisions :drool:[/QUOTE]

Yea, that's incredibly stupid. I guess it has to do with it not being built into the system directly, like how you can't even access the Wifi settings without the appropriate game.

[quote name='danny8k']I just don't get it. Shouldn't the encryption be handled by the embedded firmware on the DSi? I doesn't make sense that every game has to handle the network layer.
I wonder why nintendo makes these kinds of decisions :drool:[/quote]

To remind you that it is from Nintendo

Damn you Nintendo! I just bought three DS's over the holidays (one for my sister-in-law, one for mom, and a Mario Red one for my collection). Might as well just hand my paycheck over to Iwata and company.

That said, in for a blue DSi (along with Rhythm Heaven) :D.

Just ordered a black one. I am still rockin' the DS Phat in Silver and while it's fine, it's kinda fun to have new toys. I had told myself I would skip the DSi and just get a Lite and I lasted a whole 12 hours after preorders started. :p

Although I am still thinking I'll (also?) end up with a blue DS Lite, for the GBA slot, since the best screen I have for GBA games is the micro, which doesn't get a lot of use since it's soooo tiny. (although it's great)

Please allow me to re word my question.

Will Amazon wait until after it ships to bill our credit card?

[quote name='Pck21']Yep, they sure will![/quote]

[quote name='Teeheehee']Nope, your wrong. Old DS games will NOT be region locked.[/QUOTE]

Ok. Thanks for clarifying. I guess I'll have to pick up one of these eventually if I can get over the lacking GBA slot.

[quote name='Nohbdy']Don't be a dumbass.[/QUOTE]

Tears streaming down my face at the moment. Tears of blood.

[quote name='gmsisko1']Please allow me to re word my question.

Will Amazon wait until after it ships to bill our credit card?[/QUOTE]

That's correct. Amazon won't charge your card until the item is shipped.

I have been contemplating that blue color, and while nice, I realize why I went with matte black. That particular shade of blue is not light or dark enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanxs to everyone that mentioned the Japanese DSi's..... I had to go look over on Amazon Japan to see what they had. And now I'm so tempted to buy one. If it's still around in a few days, I may just place an order.

I also preordered one of each color on Amazon myself. I'll wait to see what the demand is. ;)

Regarding Japanese DSis:

Amazon Japan won't ship a DSi outside of Japan
Japanese DSi's have no English menu support and will only connect to the Japan store.

Im really curious about the wifi store. If it has the ability to download old NES, and SNES games then I will be in for sure.

[quote name='ivanctorres']Im really curious about the wifi store. If it has the ability to download old NES, and SNES games then I will be in for sure.[/quote]

It seems like a no-brainer that there would be some type of virtual console service for the DSi, but nothing's been mentioned about one..

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']Woo hoo! Now many did you guys order?[/QUOTE]

my bro ordered the black and I got the blue but man, I didnt expect it to sell out so quickly considering that it was announced just yesterday for the U.S

[quote name='PrimeKillah']my bro ordered the black and I got the blue but man, I didnt expect it to sell out so quickly considering that it was announced just yesterday for the U.S[/quote]

Never underestimate a Nintendo product these days. Pretty much any hardware they make will sell out.

I'll probably throw my preorder up on eBay now that they're all sold out. Might as well capitalize on amazon being sold out.

I got my preorder in at Amazon as well, but its not like you can't just walk into a B&M store and preorder this tomorrow. Plus, GameStop.com seems to be accepting preorders still.

Damn. Can't believe I missed this. Oh well, my DS Lite will have to due. Hopefully nothing extraordinary releases on the store before i can easily pick it up.

Yeah i cant believe i missed it.
1x1t.gif

[quote name='Taboner']These will be easy to find once they release:/[/QUOTE]

You will be able to walk into any store and pick up a Wii on launch day!!!1112

[quote name='gkrykewy']You will be able to walk into any store and pick up a Wii on launch day!!!1112[/quote]

Ya.....if you are lucky!

Can someone tell me if the bigger screen will make the games look worse on the DSi than on the DS Lite?

bread's done
Back